**Official** Sony X930C / X940C Owners Thread - Page 432 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 7015Likes

post #12931 of 14413 Old 02-15-2017, 10:00 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt14942 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwinhernandez1986 View Post
Could care less about 3D, gives me headaches. I really do hope something gets released so that I may upgrade my failing X940C. I love it but I remember someone posting about issues they were also having with speakers and Sony not able to repair because they no longer made the part. I will make my call today and see what can or will be done. Id like to upgrade to a Z9D or 2017 upgraded version of that.

After watching over a dozen 3D movies I have to admit the novelty is starting to wear off. I can understand where you are coming from, when I had my main board replaced Monday a part of me was hoping I still had the same issues as most likely the next step would be to replace with the latest 75 inch model. However after two days it looks like replacing the main board has fixed it. I streamed about a half a dozen or more shows without a glitch. The one exception is I noticed when raising the volume the audio would sometimes stutter for a bit similar to when you first tune in to a show and it takes a few minutes for the picture resolution and audio to catch up and than it's fine. One of the shows I watched was on Amazon Video, a new show that so far has only one episode. It's called The Last Tycoon and I have to say it's one of the best 4K HDR streaming I have seen and the story so far is interesting and can't wait for episode # 2.
Thats awesome your tv issues have been fixed, congrats!

I find 4K HDR absolutely stunning if done correctly. Still nothing compares to UHD Blu Ray and apparently Planet Earth II will be showcase demo material.

The one thing I am over is black bars top/bottom if material is recorded in anamorphic widescreen. Most material is in anamorphic widescreen so why not just make tvs in that ratio and give us black bars on sides for old material. I feel like I pay 20% extra for bigger size tv and more times than not im viewing 10" less screen because of black bars so its like I have a 65" screen. It really makes me feel cheated. Also if we dont have all the screen taken advantage of we arent truly getting 4k more like 3.5k

Time for a class action lawsuit lol!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12932 of 14413 Old 02-15-2017, 12:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I own the X930C that was updated with version 6.x of android in December. Since the upgrade, any Ultra HD or HDR content on Amazon is unwatchable. The picture and dialog cuts out especially when changing volume. HBO and other apps also have issues but to a lesser extent. The TV also frequently reboots. Sony customer service has recommended a full factory reset which basically means I'll have to set up everything again. I feel like this a waste of time and won't help much until a fix is released. Please let me know if anyone has had success with it. Any help would be appreciated.
post #12933 of 14413 Old 02-15-2017, 01:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 52
have 940c for 15months- fabuluous picture still- put up with occasional reboot for no apparent reason when streaming. updated it to MM when 1st available via USB few months ago. Also did the 3 time factory reboot thing posted earlier & recommended by Sony.- It did nothing-

Since updating to MM have the same issues on Amazon streaming as others- bad lip sync issues that are difficult to adj even thru AVR, skipping when adjusting volume on Amazon shows- esp with HDR. Don't have these issues on Netflix, but most shows are not HDR .

Still amazed by this set & fabulous pic- while waiting for fix with MM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12934 of 14413 Old 02-15-2017, 03:26 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksaifullah View Post
I own the X930C that was updated with version 6.x of android in December. Since the upgrade, any Ultra HD or HDR content on Amazon is unwatchable. The picture and dialog cuts out especially when changing volume. HBO and other apps also have issues but to a lesser extent. The TV also frequently reboots. Sony customer service has recommended a full factory reset which basically means I'll have to set up everything again. I feel like this a waste of time and won't help much until a fix is released. Please let me know if anyone has had success with it. Any help would be appreciated.
I would say that you should read through the posts here especially the ones where people have done the full factory reset after upgrading to 6.1. It has fixed many reported issues. It doesn't fix the volume issue, however. Reportedly, changing the volume causes a huge CPU usage spike.

Rick
Sony XBR-75X940C | Denon AVR-X4400H | TiVo Roamio Pro | Panasonic DMP-UB900 | Sewell Direct SW-30458
HSU
VTF-3 MK5 HP | EMOTIVA XPA-2 Gen3 | Snell Type C | Polk Audio 255C-LS + 265-LS + V80 + TL3
LG OLED55C9PUA
post #12935 of 14413 Old 02-16-2017, 05:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 792 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksaifullah View Post

Sounds like your problems with this TV are all pertaining to when you are streaming. I have experienced what you have and than some when streaming. this Monday I had Sony replace the main board on my TV and since than, knock on wood, I haven't experienced any of the issues I was having. I still get on occasion an audio stutter when I am changing the volume on Amazon video but that problem is miniscule compared to what I was experiencing. I was worried that replacing the main board wouldn't fix it and might even make things worse or mess with the excellent picture quality but it looks like I stand corrected.

Sony A9G
Oppo UDP-205 4k player
Classe SSP-800 pre/pro
Parasound Halo 5 channel Amp
post #12936 of 14413 Old 02-16-2017, 07:52 AM

Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Im experience some grainy picture when im watching blu rays. Playing them from hard drive. It was never happened before. Looks like after update it show up.

Somebody has the same problem?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #12937 of 14413 Old 02-16-2017, 11:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrvigurik View Post
Im experience some grainy picture when im watching blu rays. Playing them from hard drive. It was never happened before. Looks like after update it show up.

Somebody has the same problem?

Tapatalk
Check your Reality Creation in picture settings and turn it OFF. Check to see if it fixes your issue.
post #12938 of 14413 Old 02-17-2017, 09:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Check your Reality Creation in picture settings and turn it OFF. Check to see if it fixes your issue.

Speaking of issues, how you making out with yours? As I recall your issue was more speaker related which would be more of an issue for me as that was one of the reasons I got this TV since we tend to not put on the full blown sound system most times. I did experience a reboot glitch but it was something that happened when watching my 4K player and I believe I was fooling around with my settings and something must have triggered it, honestly can't remember. Also once I had to force a reset to get the DTV input to take. You definitely need to be patient with this TV. So far none of my previous issues with streaming have happened, but I still get the occasional audio stutter on Amazon Prime when raising the audio with the remote control, similar to what you get when you first tune in the show. It usually takes a couple of minutes to lock in both the audio and video longer when watching 4K HDR. I assume that's normal behavior. If you have Amazon Prime you got to check out the show " The Last Tycoon" the best streaming 4K W/HDR I have seen to date.

Sony A9G
Oppo UDP-205 4k player
Classe SSP-800 pre/pro
post #12939 of 14413 Old 02-18-2017, 09:34 AM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I'm starting to get all kinds of weirdness and poor performance from the TV, so I'm doing the 3x resets trick today. I had to spend a while digging backwards in this thread to find the link, so for anyone else, here it is: https://us.en.kb.sony.com/app/answer...ZTloZ2UxNm4%3D

Sony instructions for resetting android tv
post #12940 of 14413 Old 02-18-2017, 12:12 PM

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Quote:
I know this is completely OT but do any of you think that Sony might release an upgraded Z9 in the Summer as that is when it was released vs X lineup which was released in Spring. I find it hard to believe Sony will sit on their laurels and let the competition swoop in to catch up in LCD front. Then again now that they have aquired a deal with LG OLED panels maybe they will divert their resources to OLED technology! I hope they keep pushing LCD tech because I will never purchase OLED just like I never purchased a single Plasma.
No, they won't this year as they are committed to the 2016 Z being a 2017 flagship and also introduced OLED as its new "premium" product for 2017.
post #12941 of 14413 Old 02-18-2017, 11:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radvlad View Post
Quote:
I know this is completely OT but do any of you think that Sony might release an upgraded Z9 in the Summer as that is when it was released vs X lineup which was released in Spring. I find it hard to believe Sony will sit on their laurels and let the competition swoop in to catch up in LCD front. Then again now that they have aquired a deal with LG OLED panels maybe they will divert their resources to OLED technology! I hope they keep pushing LCD tech because I will never purchase OLED just like I never purchased a single Plasma.
No, they won't this year as they are committed to the 2016 Z being a 2017 flagship and also introduced OLED as its new "premium" product for 2017.
Wrong dude the OLED is not their premium unit. They still consider the Z9D their Flagship unit but I guess we will find out later this year about a 2nd gen Z9D.
post #12942 of 14413 Old 02-18-2017, 11:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt14942 View Post
Speaking of issues, how you making out with yours? As I recall your issue was more speaker related which would be more of an issue for me as that was one of the reasons I got this TV since we tend to not put on the full blown sound system most times. I did experience a reboot glitch but it was something that happened when watching my 4K player and I believe I was fooling around with my settings and something must have triggered it, honestly can't remember. Also once I had to force a reset to get the DTV input to take. You definitely need to be patient with this TV. So far none of my previous issues with streaming have happened, but I still get the occasional audio stutter on Amazon Prime when raising the audio with the remote control, similar to what you get when you first tune in the show. It usually takes a couple of minutes to lock in both the audio and video longer when watching 4K HDR. I assume that's normal behavior. If you have Amazon Prime you got to check out the show " The Last Tycoon" the best streaming 4K W/HDR I have seen to date.
Im havjng all the same bs issues everyone else is having. Its absolutely frustrating now, it crashes at least once a day and it has become very unstable. We will see what we do? That being said I have seen the tycoon show. Picture was nice but show was boring for me so I didnt watch more than 10 min.

Last edited by edwinhernandez1986; 02-18-2017 at 11:27 PM.
post #12943 of 14413 Old 02-19-2017, 06:07 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Having the 930c now for 9 months, I haven't jumped to a UHD player. I was disappointed when Sony's PlayStation pro didn't have a the UHD player. I'm not a big gamer but I like having all of my consoles in a cabinet hidden, so all of my remotes are radio frequency or Bluetooth. I'm thinking of jumping to the XBOX S for this reason. Any pros or cons on the XBOX S? Or should I give it sometime or go for the OPPO??

Sony XRB-930C
Sony Playstation 4
Mitsubishi 1100 DVHS
post #12944 of 14413 Old 02-19-2017, 07:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked: 718
Quote:
Originally Posted by stjefrey View Post
Having the 930c now for 9 months, I haven't jumped to a UHD player. I was disappointed when Sony's PlayStation pro didn't have a the UHD player. I'm not a big gamer but I like having all of my consoles in a cabinet hidden, so all of my remotes are radio frequency or Bluetooth. I'm thinking of jumping to the XBOX S for this reason. Any pros or cons on the XBOX S? Or should I give it sometime or go for the OPPO??
If you're primary purpose is for UHD films, then get the OPPO or Panasonic players. The XBOX ONE S will not compare to them in this capacity as its primary design is for gaming. I have one, but it's in my office and I don't use it for UHD films, I use my OPPO for them.
stjefrey likes this.

Routh Family Theater - My Dedicated Home Theater Build - 7.1.4 Atmos Setup
Seymour AV 100" Electronic Masking Screen - Klipsch RF-7 II's, RC-64 II, RS-62 II's, RS-52 II's, CDT-5650 II-C x 4 - PSA V3600I Sub
Marantz AV7704 with TK421 Modification - Panasonic UBD 820
Emotiva XPA -7 & XPA-5 - Sony XBR-75x940c with Ideal-Lume Panelight (Living Room)
post #12945 of 14413 Old 02-19-2017, 10:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Riddle View Post
If you're primary purpose is for UHD films, then get the OPPO or Panasonic players. The XBOX ONE S will not compare to them in this capacity as its primary design is for gaming. I have one, but it's in my office and I don't use it for UHD films, I use my OPPO for them.
How is the XBOX ONE any different when outputting video at 4K?

OLED65C9PUA, AVR-X4200W, NVIDIA SHIELD TV, SVS SB12-NSD, RC-52 II, RB-41 II, KEF E301, BDI 8179
post #12946 of 14413 Old 02-19-2017, 01:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iatacs19 View Post
How is the XBOX ONE any different when outputting video at 4K?
Not all electronics are created equal, so in this case it would be high-end vs low-end. There are many reviews available, all of which can better tell you how the OPPO and the Panasonic players are currently the best players on the market. The XBOX One S is a gaming console that had the foresight to include a UHD drive, and while I'm sure many would be very happy with it, it simply won't compete with the OPPO or Panny.

Seymour AV 100" Electronic Masking Screen - Klipsch RF-7 II's, RC-64 II, RS-62 II's, RS-52 II's, CDT-5650 II-C x 4 - PSA V3600I Sub
Emotiva XPA -7 & XPA-5 - Sony XBR-75x940c with Ideal-Lume Panelight (Living Room)
post #12947 of 14413 Old 02-19-2017, 03:07 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a question about the brightness control of the 940C. In an attempt to fix the stuttering Amazon video after the recent android TV update, and at the suggestion of Sony tech support, I did a full factory reset on my TV today, including erasing all data. After the TV came back, I noticed the screen seems a fair amount darker than it did before. So I went into the brightness control by pushing the "action menu" button, and I find that adjusting the brightness control has absolutely no effect on the screen at all. If I adjust the color (right under brightness in the action menu) the change is obvious. If I go into advanced settings and change contrast, gamma, black level, etc, I see an obvious change. But brightness does nothing.

How does the brightness setting affect other people's 940C panels?

I have tried changing the brightness setting while watching HDMI sources and the built in Netflix and Amazon apps, but it doesn't do anything on any of them. I have tried it with auto picture mode on and off. I have tried it with the light sensor on and off. I have tried it in each of the picture modes. Nothing changes with any of these variables; the brightness remains fixed at mildly dim level.

Oh, and BTW, doing the factory reset did nothing for my Amazon stuttering issue.....

Can anybody confirm that their 940C changes brightness visibly when that setting is adjusted? And if anybody has any ideas what to do next I'm all ears....
post #12948 of 14413 Old 02-19-2017, 08:04 PM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrilla1234 View Post
Can anybody confirm that their 940C changes brightness visibly when that setting is adjusted? And if anybody has any ideas what to do next I'm all ears....
Yes, I see the brightness change quite visibly when adjusting that setting. Perhaps you have the light sensor on, are in a bright room, and it's keeping it at max brightness? Or are in a dark room and it's way low? Trying turning the sensor off and see?

Also, I too am having the Amazon stuttering. It's also stuttering when watching via Plex. I can close Plex on the TV and fire it up on the Apple TV (same network connection, same movie, same everything except the Apple TV is running Plex instead of the Sony Tv) and it works perfectly. This update really screwed up my TV - can't stream with apps, can't watch 3D, and random processes crash while just using the tv and the cable box.
post #12949 of 14413 Old 02-20-2017, 01:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I have a question about the brightness control of the 940C. In an attempt to fix the stuttering Amazon video after the recent android TV update, and at the suggestion of Sony tech support, I did a full factory reset on my TV today, including erasing all data. After the TV came back, I noticed the screen seems a fair amount darker than it did before. So I went into the brightness control by pushing the "action menu" button, and I find that adjusting the brightness control has absolutely no effect on the screen at all. If I adjust the color (right under brightness in the action menu) the change is obvious. If I go into advanced settings and change contrast, gamma, black level, etc, I see an obvious change. But brightness does nothing.

I have tried changing the brightness setting while watching HDMI sources and the built in Netflix and Amazon apps, but it doesn't do anything on any of them. I have tried it with auto picture mode on and off. I have tried it with the light sensor on and off. I have tried it in each of the picture modes. Nothing changes with any of these variables; the brightness remains fixed at mildly dim level.

Oh, and BTW, doing the factory reset did nothing for my Amazon stuttering issue.....

It happnedd to me once, just hold power button for 5 seconds to reboot tv and all will be fixed when it comes back. Its a glitch of some sort.
post #12950 of 14413 Old 02-20-2017, 04:06 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Does anyone have an idea on how to stream Flac music files to the 940C in native format? Plex seems to transcode everything to mp3. Does the Sony even support a Flac format??
post #12951 of 14413 Old 02-20-2017, 07:43 PM
Advanced Member

Hey MT so I gave The Last Tycoon another shot and I will say visually this is the second most impressive 4K HDR material Ive seen to date. This looks better than most UHD Blu Ray's but only because it is 16:9 aspect ratio and is filmed digitally and not film. I personally hate film and I wish it would die already, lol. Thanks for getting me to watch the Last Tycoon, this is demo worthy for sure.
post #12952 of 14413 Old 02-21-2017, 03:56 AM

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Hey MT so I gave The Last Tycoon another shot and I will say visually this is the second most impressive 4K HDR material Ive seen to date. This looks better than most UHD Blu Ray's but only because it is 16:9 aspect ratio and is filmed digitally and not film. I personally hate film and I wish it would die already, lol. Thanks for getting me to watch the Last Tycoon, this is demo worthy for sure.
Yeah I thought The Last Tycoon was stunning, one of the best looking examples of 4k HDR I have seen. Looking forward to the full series!
post #12953 of 14413 Old 02-21-2017, 02:52 PM
Rabid 3-D Aficionado

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 743 Post(s)
Liked: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckers View Post
Does anyone have an idea on how to stream Flac music files to the 940C in native format? Plex seems to transcode everything to mp3. Does the Sony even support a Flac format??
Get MediaMonkey which will stream FLAC over your network via DLNA.
post #12954 of 14413 Old 02-21-2017, 03:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I was listening to the Home Theater Geeks Podcast, epsisode 341 Inside Sony Technology, and around 35 minutes in Scott asked about the limitations of HDR10 and compared it to Dolby Vision with its ability to process dynamic metadata. The answer was pretty cool - while HDR10 only provides static metadata, Sony televisions equipped with Extended Dynamic Range Pro and in the Cinema Home or Cinema Pro setting process dynamic metadata for each frame and adjust the picture accordingly. Thought that was pretty cool - curious how their set processing HDR10 would look up against Dolby Vision.

post #12955 of 14413 Old 02-21-2017, 07:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1695 Post(s)
Liked: 1290
Quote:

Ensure the light sensor if OFF. When you do a factory reset, it is ON by default.

Sony XBR75X940C & XBR65A1E Samsung UBD K8500
My Recommended Daytime Settings Apps(Video), My Recommended Daytime Settings Apps, My non-HDR and HDR Settings, Setting HDMI to show no overscan
Sony XBR75X940C, Samsung UBD K8500, Roku Ultra, DirecTV RVU and C61K, Chromecast Ultra
post #12956 of 14413 Old 02-21-2017, 10:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Riddle View Post
I was listening to the Home Theater Geeks Podcast, epsisode 341 Inside Sony Technology, and around 35 minutes in Scott asked about the limitations of HDR10 and compared it to Dolby Vision with its ability to process dynamic metadata. The answer was pretty cool - while HDR10 only provides static metadata, Sony televisions equipped with Extended Dynamic Range Pro and in the Cinema Home or Cinema Pro setting process dynamic metadata for each frame and adjust the picture accordingly. Thought that was pretty cool - curious how their set processing HDR10 would look up against Dolby Vision.
Sounds like BS to me or he has no clue what hes talking about only because you cant select cinema home or cinema pro on HDR content. It automatically switches to HDR mode.
post #12957 of 14413 Old 02-22-2017, 08:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1695 Post(s)
Liked: 1290
Quote:
Sounds like BS to me or he has no clue what hes talking about only because you cant select cinema home or cinema pro on HDR content. It automatically switches to HDR mode.
The newer sets don't have an HDR picture mode. It utilizes HDR on the mode you are currently using (Cinema Pro/Home).

Sony XBR75X940C & XBR65A1E Samsung UBD K8500
My Recommended Daytime Settings Apps(Video), My Recommended Daytime Settings Apps, My non-HDR and HDR Settings, Setting HDMI to show no overscan
Sony XBR75X940C, Samsung UBD K8500, Roku Ultra, DirecTV RVU and C61K, Chromecast Ultra
post #12958 of 14413 Old 02-22-2017, 10:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCsoftball7 View Post
The newer sets don't have an HDR picture mode. It utilizes HDR on the mode you are currently using (Cinema Pro/Home).

So the newer players don't automatically default to the HDR setting mode or in the case of a 4K player with settings set to Auto or On?

Sony A9G
Oppo UDP-205 4k player
Classe SSP-800 pre/pro
post #12959 of 14413 Old 02-22-2017, 12:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCsoftball7 View Post
Quote:
In other words I spewed off rubbish when I clearly had no idea how Sony was operating on their newer sets but then again the point is moot as we now know that all newer sets will come with DV and the Z9D will be getting a firmware update to make it DV.
post #12960 of 14413 Old 02-22-2017, 01:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
In other words I spewed off rubbish when I clearly had no idea how Sony was operating on their newer sets but then again the point is moot as we now know that all newer sets will come with DV and the Z9D will be getting a firmware update to make it DV.
He did clarify in his statement that the HDR picture mode - default to HDR on our sets - does this. The cinema settings do something similar with mapping. It's a pretty good podcast that has a lot of cool behind the scenes stuff on their technology. He stated the only tvs that will get Dolby Vision will be those with the X1 Exteme processor - so the Z9D and the new E series. The other sets with the X1 will have HDR10 and HLG.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
940C , hdr , Sony , X930C , X940C

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page