**Official** Sony X930C / X940C Owners Thread - Page 441 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 7017Likes

post #13201 of 14433 Old 04-21-2017, 08:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 969 Post(s)
Liked: 1011
Alright!!! I'm happy to say that all functions are working as expected and even better. The home and action menu buttons have faster response times and don't present any delays.

Now, for the fun part! The color luminance on the Cinema Pro and Home presets is much improved. White luminance seems to have the most impact. Before a full white screen could have a yellowish hue, but now it's gone. For reference, we watched some regular television content and The Shallows on UHD. It was immediately noticeable during playback that the zones were performing much better in regard to light bleed; specifically into the black bars. Before the update, pausing on my Oppo would create a significant shift in the black bars at the top left, but now, there was barely any bleed. I can say this update has really improved the display.

Lastly, if you haven't seen The Shallows on UHD, go get your copy now! This is a truly suspenseful movie that ranks only below Jaws in the Shark movie category. The HDR is amazing and the long shots of the beach and water are magnificent. The wide color gamut really shines here too, with blood taking on the true crimson color in the water, contrasting to the deep blues of the water. I thought maybe I was just caught up in the experience, but even my wife commented several times on how much better the colors, detail, and overall experience was compared to the standard Blu-ray. There were several moments during the film that what apppeared on screen was so visually jarring, it appeared it was happening in my living room. The depth was so realistic, it appeared three-dimensional. Alright, enough about that, as I have to get back to my beloved Houston Rockets and root on a Championship run!
CCsoftball7 and daimler2015 like this.

Routh Family Theater - My Dedicated Home Theater Build - 7.1.4 Atmos Setup
Seymour AV 100" Electronic Masking Screen - Klipsch RF-7 II's, RC-64 II, RS-62 II's, RS-52 II's, CDT-5650 II-C x 4 - PSA V3600I Sub
Marantz AV7705 with TK421 Modification - Panasonic UBD 820
Emotiva XPA -7 & XPA-5 - Sony XBR-75x940c with Ideal-Lume Panelight (Living Room)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13202 of 14433 Old 04-21-2017, 09:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Riddle View Post
Alright!!! I'm happy to say that all functions are working as expected and even better. The home and action menu buttons have faster response times and don't present any delays.

Now, for the fun part! The color luminance on the Cinema Pro and Home presets is much improved. White luminance seems to have the most impact. Before a full white screen could have a yellowish hue, but now it's gone. For reference, we watched some regular television content and The Shallows on UHD. It was immediately noticeable during playback that the zones were performing much better in regard to light bleed; specifically into the black bars. Before the update, pausing on my Oppo would create a significant shift in the black bars at the top left, but now, there was barely any bleed. I can say this update has really improved the display.

Lastly, if you haven't seen The Shallows on UHD, go get your copy now! This is a truly suspenseful movie that ranks only below Jaws in the Shark movie category. The HDR is amazing and the long shots of the beach and water are magnificent. The wide color gamut really shines here too, with blood taking on the true crimson color in the water, contrasting to the deep blues of the water. I thought maybe I was just caught up in the experience, but even my wife commented several times on how much better the colors, detail, and overall experience was compared to the standard Blu-ray. There were several moments during the film that what apppeared on screen was so visually jarring, it appeared it was happening in my living room. The depth was so realistic, it appeared three-dimensional. Alright, enough about that, as I have to get back to my beloved Houston Rockets and root on a Championship run!
Fully agree!

And now the big question- do we need to adjust our settings now that the PQ seems to have been improved?
post #13203 of 14433 Old 04-22-2017, 05:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

My overall settings seemed to be intact, so I doubt I will mess with them too much, if at all. I'm loving this update!

Seymour AV 100" Electronic Masking Screen - Klipsch RF-7 II's, RC-64 II, RS-62 II's, RS-52 II's, CDT-5650 II-C x 4 - PSA V3600I Sub
Emotiva XPA -7 & XPA-5 - Sony XBR-75x940c with Ideal-Lume Panelight (Living Room)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13204 of 14433 Old 04-22-2017, 05:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 845 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:

Tom, I was debating whether to do this update since my TV has been working pretty good since Sony came out and replaced the main board about 2 months ago, however since reading your post I may have to reconsider. I will have to do it from the Sony web-site since for some reason it didn't show up on my TV like all the previous updates did. The only minor nit picking issues I am having is that the when I press the volume control button it doesn't always show up right away and is not very responsive and for that matter the Home and Action Menu buttons are a bit slow to respond also, some thing that you mentioned in your post that the new update improved. It also seems like it takes awhile for TV to come on when I first turn it on, but this could be normal.

Sony A9G
Oppo UDP-205 4k Universal Player
Classe SSP-800 Pre/Pro
Parasound Halo 5 Channel Amp
post #13205 of 14433 Old 04-22-2017, 06:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

@mt14942 , I had all of those issues. Some of the buttons would be unresponsive taking multiple attempts and the menus were sometimes glitchy. Also, sometimes only the Sony remote would turn the tv on. I was okay with these issues, as everything else worked fine and the picture was great. I installed via USB, and in my opinion, that's probably the best way, as I can make sure the file downloads properly. Since the update, the picture is better and the functionality is much improved. So far, I have not had any issues. Logged about 6 hours of viewing since the update.

post #13206 of 14433 Old 04-22-2017, 07:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
@mt14942 , I had all of those issues. Some of the buttons would be unresponsive taking multiple attempts and the menus were sometimes glitchy. Also, sometimes only the Sony remote would turn the tv on. I was okay with these issues, as everything else worked fine and the picture was great. I installed via USB, and in my opinion, that's probably the best way, as I can make sure the file downloads properly. Since the update, the picture is better and the functionality is much improved. So far, I have not had any issues. Logged about 6 hours of viewing since the update.

Thanks Tom, sounds like you had even more issues than I am having. I am pretty sure I am going to update the TV via the Sony web-site via a USB drive since that is my only choice since my TV say's I have the latest firmware update and I know that is not the case.

Sony A9G
Classe SSP-800 Pre/Pro

Last edited by mt14942; 04-22-2017 at 07:45 AM.
post #13207 of 14433 Old 04-22-2017, 09:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Judging from comments on Sony's community forums, the most recent update significantly increased the input lag in 4K on a number of TVs, including the 940C. I am debating whether losing 4K gaming is worth the other improvements, but mainly at this point I am wishing I could just revert to the firmware just prior to the Marshmallow update, when everything was working properly.
post #13208 of 14433 Old 04-23-2017, 12:34 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 52
latest April 17 MM update did nothing to fix the Amazon streaming app - the lip sync is still off slightly & using the volume button produces some skipping in the picture- each movement of button causes the issue. Netflix is fine- noissues. I didn't notice any change in colors or any improvement in pic settings as others have reported. Still very much enjoying this set- even with the few issues.
post #13209 of 14433 Old 04-23-2017, 05:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelon View Post
Judging from comments on Sony's community forums, the most recent update significantly increased the input lag in 4K on a number of TVs, including the 940C. I am debating whether losing 4K gaming is worth the other improvements, but mainly at this point I am wishing I could just revert to the firmware just prior to the Marshmallow update, when everything was working properly.

I agree the update just before the Marshmallow update made my TV the most stable it had ever been and than the Marsmallow update came and it became the worst it has ever been.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrpph View Post
latest April 17 MM update did nothing to fix the Amazon streaming app - the lip sync is still off slightly & using the volume button produces some skipping in the picture- each movement of button causes the issue. Netflix is fine- noissues. I didn't notice any change in colors or any improvement in pic settings as others have reported. Still very much enjoying this set- even with the few issues.

I only have Amazon not Netflix and I haven't noticed the lip sync being slightly off, but the next time I watch Amazon I will watch for that. I do have the same stuttering issue with the volume button. Also when I watch Amazon, especially a show that is 4K with HDR it takes about 30 seconds to a minute for the picture resolution to get up to speed, but that is probably normal.

Sony A9G
Classe SSP-800 Pre/Pro
post #13210 of 14433 Old 04-23-2017, 06:34 AM

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
i just installed the new update via USB. My menus were immediately available after and thus far, everything seems in working order. Going to watch a movie and some playoff basketball tonight, so I will report back later with an update.
I installed the update via USB a few days ago, too. Things are definitely better in terms of the set not rebooting every time I go into a smart app. As I began to think that things were fixed, my set spontaneously rebooted while sitting in the movie detail screen in Amazon. So close, but 'no cigar'.
post #13211 of 14433 Old 04-23-2017, 06:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm fortunately still not experiencing any issues. We watched The Magnificent Seven on UHD last night and it was awesome! It's a very bright film and I ended up playing around with my HDR settings a bit, but landed not too far from where I was at.
daimler2015 likes this.

post #13212 of 14433 Old 04-23-2017, 02:41 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Netflix 5.1- MIA

After recent update, have lost the 5.1 on the Netflix app. No longer displays in the apps audio as being available. Did the reboot and unplug routine to no avail.

Amazon 5.1 is working OK....reason unknown.

Any suggestions to enable/resolve the issue.
post #13213 of 14433 Old 04-23-2017, 06:46 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
I'd like to read up on this. Got a link?
post #13214 of 14433 Old 04-24-2017, 12:01 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by gutter24 View Post
I'd like to read up on this. Got a link?
Yep, you can see the thread in question here. The page I linked is I believe where the discussion of the most recent firmware begins.
post #13215 of 14433 Old 04-24-2017, 12:48 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Yep, you can see the thread in question here. The page I linked is I believe where the discussion of the most recent firmware begins.

I haven't seen or felt any noticeable lag after the new update. Picture looks better in 4K hdr now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #13216 of 14433 Old 04-24-2017, 08:50 AM

Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by tumi05 View Post
After recent update, have lost the 5.1 on the Netflix app. No longer displays in the apps audio as being available. Did the reboot and unplug routine to no avail.

Would you happen to have something plugged into the analog Audio Out/HP Jack?
post #13217 of 14433 Old 04-24-2017, 10:18 AM

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 49
So geek squad came over on saturday and after explaining what's happening he said he's seen this issue before and that he would replace the motherboard next Saturday. I also told him about the clouding on the screen and he said it cause by the bad motherboard too which idk how accurate that is...

Last edited by 2pacalypsenow; 04-24-2017 at 10:32 AM.
post #13218 of 14433 Old 04-24-2017, 10:31 AM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by tumi05 View Post

Netflix app checks for 5.1 availability when the app starts. If the TV is on internal speakers when Netflix starts, the 5.1 audio is not shown. Exit Netflix, switch audio to external and go back into Netflix may fix your issue.

Rick
Sony XBR-75X940C | Denon AVR-X4400H | TiVo Roamio Pro | Panasonic DMP-UB900 | Sewell Direct SW-30458
HSU
VTF-3 MK5 HP | EMOTIVA XPA-2 Gen3 | Snell Type C | Polk Audio 255C-LS + 265-LS + V80 + TL3
LG OLED55C9PUA
post #13219 of 14433 Old 04-24-2017, 10:48 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I searched the thread for UBP-X800 and HDR issues when connected to a 940c and found nothing on my topic so I'm going to jump in and post.
I have a 75x940c and just bought the UBP-X800 blu-ray player.. I have only watched two movies in 4K HDR so far.. (John Wick and Ender's Game) plus a little bit of Planet Earth 2 (damn that's amazing!).

What I've seen so far appears to be that I'm getting no local dimming on HDR disc playback. The "black" bars top and bottom of the movies are highly back-lit and appear dark gray. The blacks are not black. When I go into Picture Adjustments, which is locked into HDR mode, the auto local dimming option is set to medium and is grayed out so I can't adjust it (unlike in other picture modes). When I play a standard Blu-Ray the bars top and bottom are absolutely black. Local dimming appears to be shutting off the LEDs in those areas as one would expect. Not so when I play 4K HDR discs and I'm very disappointed in the black levels this setup produces in HDR 4K.
What is your experience with this scenario for those that have played 4K HDR BD? Does another brand player work better? Is it purely a 940c adjustment or perhaps bug?
post #13220 of 14433 Old 04-24-2017, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waja View Post
Netflix app checks for 5.1 availability when the app starts. If the TV is on internal speakers when Netflix starts, the 5.1 audio is not shown. Exit Netflix, switch audio to external and go back into Netflix may fix your issue.
Yes, I did try that to no avail. Found the issue to be the setting on digital optical out indicating PCM after the update. Changed back to Auto 2.

Netflix 5.1 is now working.
waja likes this.

Last edited by tumi05; 04-24-2017 at 03:20 PM.
post #13221 of 14433 Old 04-24-2017, 12:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 52
unclegeek- as posted either here or on 940d thread by others- check to be sure your motionflow setting is not set to OFF- Its been reported that local dimming is not working when motionflow is set to off- works normally when set to any other setting- ck this out to see if that is your issue.
Tom Riddle likes this.
post #13222 of 14433 Old 04-24-2017, 01:58 PM

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Sony came back wanting me to pay over two grand to upgrade to the 940E. Not sure the TV is worth that much more than a free 940D replacement....Really tough decision.

Last edited by drock0221; 04-24-2017 at 02:27 PM.
post #13223 of 14433 Old 04-24-2017, 02:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1355 Post(s)
Liked: 874
Ok I posted a few days ago a pic of my last firmware on my 930C I'm still pre original MM. I've been checking every day. I even reset my tv to get my Sony add on sub to work again and the auto update is back on but no update. My info just tells me TV is up to date? I don't want to really force an update with a flash drive. I wouldn't even know how anyway. I'm not that computer savvy and I don't know how big this update is anyway? Here is pic again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5849_1493071172817.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	2100737  
post #13224 of 14433 Old 04-24-2017, 03:00 PM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by drock0221 View Post
Sony came back wanting me to pay over two grand to upgrade to the 940E. Not sure the TV is worth that much more than a free 940D replacement....Really tough decision.
To me, it would mostly come down to the fact that 940E has Dolby Vision, and 940D does not. Then again, with all the new formats announced (HDR10+, Technicolor, Hybrid Log Gamma, Dynamic HDR), and no confirmation from Sony, 940E may end up being just as obsolete as the 940c if this format war progresses to be as anti-customer as it seems it will.

Just looking at 'today' content, and watching mostly 1080p blurays, the 940c is already so close to 'perfect', that any improvement in image quality, as far as I am concerned, is really starting to get well past diminishing returns.

I personally don't own a UltraHD Bluray player, and don't have specific plans to buy one, so the only 4K I see is Amazon (meh quality) and Netflix (very good PQ, but not a huge library of 4K HDR content)
post #13225 of 14433 Old 04-24-2017, 03:21 PM

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by randompersonx View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by drock0221 View Post
To me, it would mostly come down to the fact that 940E has Dolby Vision, and 940D does not. Then again, with all the new formats announced (HDR10+, Technicolor, Hybrid Log Gamma, Dynamic HDR), and no confirmation from Sony, 940E may end up being just as obsolete as the 940c if this format war progresses to be as anti-customer as it seems it will.

Just looking at 'today' content, and watching mostly 1080p blurays, the 940c is already so close to 'perfect', that any improvement in image quality, as far as I am concerned, is really starting to get well past diminishing returns.

I personally don't own a UltraHD Bluray player, and don't have specific plans to buy one, so the only 4K I see is Amazon (meh quality) and Netflix (very good PQ, but not a huge library of 4K HDR content)
I mean I would love to have Dolby Vision and the X1 Processor but paying over two grand for these features isn't worth it in my opinion but I like getting everyone else's take on it so appreciate the response. I mostly watch DIRECTV and I agree the 940C was great and I'm sure I'll like the 940D with my sound bar because I never really was a fan of the side speakers. I think side by side content between the 940D and 940E, you probably wouldn't even be able to know which is which.
post #13226 of 14433 Old 04-24-2017, 06:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclegeek View Post
I searched the thread for UBP-X800 and HDR issues when connected to a 940c and found nothing on my topic so I'm going to jump in and post.
I have a 75x940c and just bought the UBP-X800 blu-ray player.. I have only watched two movies in 4K HDR so far.. (John Wick and Ender's Game) plus a little bit of Planet Earth 2 (damn that's amazing!).

What I've seen so far appears to be that I'm getting no local dimming on HDR disc playback. The "black" bars top and bottom of the movies are highly back-lit and appear dark gray. The blacks are not black. When I go into Picture Adjustments, which is locked into HDR mode, the auto local dimming option is set to medium and is grayed out so I can't adjust it (unlike in other picture modes). When I play a standard Blu-Ray the bars top and bottom are absolutely black. Local dimming appears to be shutting off the LEDs in those areas as one would expect. Not so when I play 4K HDR discs and I'm very disappointed in the black levels this setup produces in HDR 4K.
What is your experience with this scenario for those that have played 4K HDR BD? Does another brand player work better? Is it purely a 940c adjustment or perhaps bug?
Hit the home button, go to settings, click Picture and Display and go to Dynamic Range. Select the input you have your UHD player on and make sure the setting is Auto, not Full. If it's already set at Auto, try playing around with your settings. The local dimming is grayed out in HDR, but it is set to Medium. I have my brightness at 35, contrast at max, and I'm using the Custom motion setting at min and min. I have completely black bars on HDR.

post #13227 of 14433 Old 04-24-2017, 06:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbino421 View Post
Ok I posted a few days ago a pic of my last firmware on my 930C I'm still pre original MM. I've been checking every day. I even reset my tv to get my Sony add on sub to work again and the auto update is back on but no update. My info just tells me TV is up to date? I don't want to really force an update with a flash drive. I wouldn't even know how anyway. I'm not that computer savvy and I don't know how big this update is anyway? Here is pic again.
Here is the link to download that was originally posted by @400MHz MAN last week. All you need to do is download the file and extract the content to a USB drive. Turn on your tv and insert the usb drive and wait about 40-50 minutes for the software to update. I personally believe it's much better to perform the update this way.

post #13228 of 14433 Old 04-25-2017, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400MHz MAN View Post
Would you happen to have something plugged into the analog Audio Out/HP Jack?
Nope. Using digital out to the AV processor
post #13229 of 14433 Old 04-25-2017, 07:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1355 Post(s)
Liked: 874
Quote:
Quote:
Here is the link to download that was originally posted by @400MHz MAN last week. All you need to do is download the file and extract the content to a USB drive. Turn on your tv and insert the usb drive and wait about 40-50 minutes for the software to update. I personally believe it's much better to perform the update this way.
I think I may gonna make an attempt to download the update then. I did some research I need a 2.0 usb drive that's what the USB port on tv supports. Also I need at least 2gb on drive of space to be safe? Can anyone confirm this and any other tips? I never tried this before! Ty
post #13230 of 14433 Old 04-25-2017, 08:35 AM

Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:

As this is a phased rollout it might take a couple of weeks before it is pushed to everyone.

Check again today and if not check again next week.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
940C , hdr , Sony , X930C , X940C

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page