**Official** Sony X930C / X940C Owners Thread - Page 455 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 7015Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #13621 of 14409 Old 10-18-2017, 08:09 PM
Member
 
thextreme1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Ocean Pines, MD
Posts: 106
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbino421 View Post
The only thing I noticed was in apps some are grey boxes and something call samba which other model tv owners are reporting problems with? Just saw on the Z9D thread that someone says their HDR was affected but in a bad way after the update? I hope there are no negatives to our models!
I hope not either. Hey, what did you think of that Dolby Atmos soundbar you had?
thextreme1 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #13622 of 14409 Old 10-19-2017, 03:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bobbino421's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: New York City
Posts: 1,928
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked: 785
Quote:
Originally Posted by thextreme1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbino421 View Post
The only thing I noticed was in apps some are grey boxes and something call samba which other model tv owners are reporting problems with? Just saw on the Z9D thread that someone says their HDR was affected but in a bad way after the update? I hope there are no negatives to our models!
I hope not either. Hey, what did you think of that Dolby Atmos soundbar you had?
If your you referring to the Samsung I had it was nice and had some punch but I returned it for 2 reasons it was buggy and it had no DTSX but I heard it got thru a firmware update. The other reason is that I heard more Atmos bars were coming out and I was within my return window so I basically had it as a trial. I haven't replaced it yet, waiting to see what else come out besides the Sony which I'm not sold on yet. I may consider the Samsung again if the prices drop. Also the only thing is I want future proofing and Samsung will never have DV pass thru but that's not a deal breaker! I plan on upgrading my current TV to DV set in the near future, maybe a Z9?

Sony 55 A9F
Panasonic DP-UB820
Sony UBP-X700
Samsung HW-K950 Dolby Atmos sound bar
bobbino421 is online now  
post #13623 of 14409 Old 10-19-2017, 09:27 AM
Senior Member
 
robert ham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 390
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Update this Thursday!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbino421 View Post
My 930C just ask me for an update. Looks like a big one anybody have an idea what this is? I was already on the last one the MM. I already hit ok. Just wondering? Or is gonna detonate lol
Did the update this AM, and so far no issues to report.. My Sony HDR player works as it should with the TV set switching to HDR mode. Also checked HDR content on my Sony X800 player and the TV set switched to HDR mode. Also checked YouTube on the Sony TV set itself, and NO HDR function as expected. Picture still looks GREAT!! Have had a few issues with 3D content over the last few years, but so far so good!! Update took about 30 minutes,, Used my 5G WiFi network for the update.. Recently updated my Yamaha AVR, Sony X800, and just updated my NetGear Router due to the newest WIFi security HACK issue... OH,,, My Cable box updated overnight.. All I need to do now is figure out if it is an ACURA issue or a IOS-11 issue with the phone car interface... GEE!!!!! Cant wait for self driving cars and Airplanes!!! :-(
robert ham is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #13624 of 14409 Old 10-19-2017, 09:59 PM
Senior Member
 
XciteMe83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 329
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Would it be a figment of my imagination if I think the latest update cranked up the overall backlight brightness? My 930C has always had nice inky black letterbox bars (yes, even with the edge lighting because the TV has excellent local dimming and contrast), but this new update, I haven't changed a single setting and I'm seeing more backlight on the bars now?

Is this in my mind? And if not how do I remedy this without throwing off the beautifully balanced picture settings I had before?
XciteMe83 is offline  
post #13625 of 14409 Old 10-23-2017, 12:48 PM
Senior Member
 
johndoejohndoes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 328
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Random Question - Are all the HDMI ports on the 930C capable of 4K?

Or is it only specific ports?
johndoejohndoes is offline  
post #13626 of 14409 Old 10-23-2017, 12:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
CCsoftball7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Cary, NC
Posts: 3,701
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1695 Post(s)
Liked: 1287
Quote:
Originally Posted by johndoejohndoes View Post
Random Question - Are all the HDMI ports on the 930C capable of 4K?

Or is it only specific ports?
All are HDMI "Enhanced."

Sony XBR75X940C & XBR65A1E Samsung UBD K8500
My Recommended Daytime Settings Apps(Video), My Recommended Daytime Settings Apps, My non-HDR and HDR Settings, Setting HDMI to show no overscan
Sony XBR75X940C, Samsung UBD K8500, Roku Ultra, DirecTV RVU and C61K, Chromecast Ultra
CCsoftball7 is offline  
post #13627 of 14409 Old 10-23-2017, 01:15 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 264
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pupator View Post
@pee @bgrpph @iatacs19



Latest update:







This is really what I should accept, right? At this point, I think it's the best TV they can get me at around $3000. Should I push back for new and make sure it isn't refurbished? I'm sure the fine print in the warranty says I have to accept either so I'm not even sure if that's worth it.


I’m guessing probably too late, but I would argue that the amount of zones in the 900e does not come close to the 940c. There are over 100 in the 940f and I think around 60 in the 900e. The 940c is a better TV.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CCsoftball7 likes this.
Fastblack is online now  
post #13628 of 14409 Old 10-26-2017, 12:16 PM
Advanced Member
 
GunmetalR56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 620
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by XciteMe83 View Post
Would it be a figment of my imagination if I think the latest update cranked up the overall backlight brightness? My 930C has always had nice inky black letterbox bars (yes, even with the edge lighting because the TV has excellent local dimming and contrast), but this new update, I haven't changed a single setting and I'm seeing more backlight on the bars now?

Is this in my mind? And if not how do I remedy this without throwing off the beautifully balanced picture settings I had before?
I don't think it's just you. I've been having the same thought since the update.. seeing more blooming overall on my 940c including in the letterbox bars. Haven't had time to start the tweaking process yet to try and correct.

Ascend Sierra Towers w/RAAL, Ascend Horizon Center w/RAAL, Ascend Sierra 2 surrounds, PSB Imagine XA Atmos modules (x4), SVS PB13 Ultras (x2), SVS PB12+ (x2)
Denon X6500H / Emotiva Mini-X a-100
Panasonic DP-UB820 / PS4 Pro / XBOX 1X
Sony XBR75Z9D, LG OLED65B7A
GunmetalR56 is offline  
post #13629 of 14409 Old 10-26-2017, 05:42 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 113
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 36
too much running in the background?

at least one, maybe two updates ago, I started seeing movie playback start to jutter/skip/hesitate, etc. But let me explain:

I'm one of the few left, it seems, that subscribes to the DVD part of Netflix. When I disc arrives, I run an application called MakeMKV over the disk, and I pull off the movie and save it on my file server in mkv format. I doubt any transcoding takes place since my "TV PC" has old CPU and it is able to keep up with a 10/100 connection.

Then, then the mood to see that movie exists, use ES File explorer on my 930C to find the file on the file server and use the Sony Movie app to play it back. It used to work flawlessly, but as I said, it seems like in the past few months, I seem to get it to play back for a many seconds, and then it pauses, like it's buffering, or really, more like it's having to drop a few frames to catch up. So I'm trying to debug this. I know I can probably dig deeper into this, but I am tossing it out there to see if any others have found some tools better than others for trouble-shooting this sort of stuff.

From a network standpoint, the server is capable of totally saturating a Gb network, and the TV, of course sadly only has 100Bt NIC. I have tried using wireless (with full AC network (and the AP is VERY close, perhaps even too close!) ) but the network change seems to have no change.

I've tried changing video apps and mostly, all I see are slight variations on contrast and saturation by the use of different codecs. But they all seem to stutter.

So I'm convinced there is SOMETHING ELSE RUNNING that is stealing precious SOC CPU since this CPU is no barn burner. Sadly, even my "TV PC" with a crappy Core 2 duo is able to keep up with no problem on these files.

So, mostly, I'm asking if anyone has found a good CPU or activity monitor app that they can run at the same time as another app that is having "issues" to see if the system is being drained by some rogue app that really doesn't need to be running?

Thanks,
-Ken

Sony XBR65X930C
ATechGuy is offline  
post #13630 of 14409 Old 10-27-2017, 07:17 AM
Advanced Member
 
avdoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Nashville, TN, USA
Posts: 611
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Angry com.google.android.gms error message

I have a 740C. Since the update, I'm getting this error message: Unfortunately, com.google.android.gms has stopped. Has anyone else got this error message? It comes up repeatedly after I click OK.

Pioneer Elite SC-LX901 Receiver, Magnepan MG2.5/R x4 and CC3 center channel speakers with Sound Anchor stands, Power Sound Audio S3000i subwoofer, Sony UBP-X800 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR-75X940E TV, Monoprice Premium HDMI and DH Labs Silver Sonic T-14 speaker cables
avdoc is offline  
post #13631 of 14409 Old 10-27-2017, 07:33 AM
Advanced Member
 
avdoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Nashville, TN, USA
Posts: 611
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by avdoc View Post
I have a 740C. Since the update, I'm getting this error message: Unfortunately, com.google.android.gms has stopped. Has anyone else got this error message? It comes up repeatedly after I click OK.
I may have answered my own question. I did a google search on the error message and found this website:

https://wikitechsolutions.com/22184/...ms-has-stopped

I went into the TV menu and clicked the following:

Settings
TV
Apps

Google Services Framework
Force stop
Clear cache

then I did
Google Play Services
Force stop
Clear data (was 0 so left)
Clear cache

I'll post if this doesn't fix things. I think the Google Play Services was the correct one, but I found another website that talked about the Google Services Framework and had already done that, so if it works, I'm not sure which fixed it. Fingers crossed.

Pioneer Elite SC-LX901 Receiver, Magnepan MG2.5/R x4 and CC3 center channel speakers with Sound Anchor stands, Power Sound Audio S3000i subwoofer, Sony UBP-X800 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR-75X940E TV, Monoprice Premium HDMI and DH Labs Silver Sonic T-14 speaker cables
avdoc is offline  
post #13632 of 14409 Old 10-27-2017, 07:34 AM
Advanced Member
 
NJChris's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Riverdale, NJ USA
Posts: 535
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by avdoc View Post
I have a 740C. Since the update, I'm getting this error message: Unfortunately, com.google.android.gms has stopped. Has anyone else got this error message? It comes up repeatedly after I click OK.
I get more of those unfortunately messages since the last update. It isn't just on one thing, it can be different apps/processes. I got one for google play last night.

Xiaomi Wemax One Projector
NJChris is offline  
post #13633 of 14409 Old 10-27-2017, 10:32 PM
Member
 
SolidState9311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Arlington Heights, IL
Posts: 156
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by XciteMe83 View Post
Would it be a figment of my imagination if I think the latest update cranked up the overall backlight brightness? My 930C has always had nice inky black letterbox bars (yes, even with the edge lighting because the TV has excellent local dimming and contrast), but this new update, I haven't changed a single setting and I'm seeing more backlight on the bars now?

Is this in my mind? And if not how do I remedy this without throwing off the beautifully balanced picture settings I had before?
Now that you mention it, yes, it's brighter. I thought it was just the TV station. Noticeable on the the 930C but not so much on the 940C. I did a reset of the picture setting on both sets just to see if Sony just did a realignment adjustment. This is not the first time sony did something like this. For my 900B the picture quality improvement came in a firmware release 2 years after owning, surprise.

The real question is was the change just arbitrary or some correction that limited the brightness dynamic range from day one.

XBR-46HX909 (King), XBR-55X900B, XBR-65X930C, XBR-75X940C
SolidState9311 is offline  
post #13634 of 14409 Old 10-27-2017, 11:39 PM
Advanced Member
 
GunmetalR56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 620
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 415
Did a factory reset tonight and things sorted out a bit. The set definitely seems brighter.. also seeing more shadow detail.

The downside is that it really seems like the local dimming is having a harder time keeping up with the brightness.. especially with HDR content.

Sigh..

Ascend Sierra Towers w/RAAL, Ascend Horizon Center w/RAAL, Ascend Sierra 2 surrounds, PSB Imagine XA Atmos modules (x4), SVS PB13 Ultras (x2), SVS PB12+ (x2)
Denon X6500H / Emotiva Mini-X a-100
Panasonic DP-UB820 / PS4 Pro / XBOX 1X
Sony XBR75Z9D, LG OLED65B7A
GunmetalR56 is offline  
post #13635 of 14409 Old 10-28-2017, 06:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Tom Riddle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Greater Houston Area - Texas
Posts: 1,788
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 781 Post(s)
Liked: 689
I’ve noticed brightness shifts in previous update, but not in this last one. I test my HDR after the update - watched Passengrrs UHD and now just started Stanger Things season 2 and all is good. As always, if I turn my motion to “off” blooming isn’t present. If I keep my preferred Custom settings, all is great!

Routh Family Theater - My Dedicated Home Theater Build - 7.1.4 Atmos Setup
Seymour AV 100" Electronic Masking Screen - Klipsch RF-7 II's, RC-64 II, RS-62 II's, RS-52 II's, CDT-5650 II-C x 4 - PSA V3600I Sub
Marantz AV7704 with TK421 Modification - Panasonic UBD 820
Emotiva XPA -7 & XPA-5 - Sony XBR-75x940c with Ideal-Lume Panelight (Living Room)
Tom Riddle is offline  
post #13636 of 14409 Old 11-03-2017, 07:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bruceames's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: San Rafael, CA
Posts: 1,427
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 538 Post(s)
Liked: 371
Unfortunately I have the 4 blinking red lights on my 940C. Will cost about $650 to replace the LED board. I guess my good luck with TVs finally ran out, I hope it doesn't have further problems and I still have my 930C upstairs to worry about now (hopefully it won't have the same issue at some point).
bruceames is offline  
post #13637 of 14409 Old 11-03-2017, 09:10 AM
Senior Member
 
Cyber Chulo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: NY
Posts: 489
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceames View Post
Unfortunately I have the 4 blinking red lights on my 940C. Will cost about $650 to replace the LED board. I guess my good luck with TVs finally ran out, I hope it doesn't have further problems and I still have my 930C upstairs to worry about now (hopefully it won't have the same issue at some point).
Dam. How long have you had the set? I had mine since Feb 2016 and it's still going strong

PSN ID Cyber125
Cyber Chulo is offline  
post #13638 of 14409 Old 11-03-2017, 09:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bruceames's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: San Rafael, CA
Posts: 1,427
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 538 Post(s)
Liked: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Chulo View Post
Dam. How long have you had the set? I had mine since Feb 2016 and it's still going strong
I got it April 2016. The service tech guy says he's seen lots of issues with the set. I just hope it last another 3-4 years because that's my next planned upgrade timeline (probably go with OLED if the 75+ sets are reasonably priced enough). But I really hope it last another 8-10 years because I have 3 rooms and I pass the TVs down the food chain when I upgrade (living room-->bedroom-->den-->give away to needy family member).
CCsoftball7 likes this.
bruceames is offline  
post #13639 of 14409 Old 11-03-2017, 09:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
CCsoftball7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Cary, NC
Posts: 3,701
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1695 Post(s)
Liked: 1287
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceames View Post
But I really hope it last another 8-10 years because I have 3 rooms and I pass the TVs down the food chain when I upgrade (living room-->bedroom-->den-->give away to needy family member).
That sounds like my chain (living room-->bedroom-->bonus room-->give away to needy family member)
bruceames likes this.

Sony XBR75X940C & XBR65A1E Samsung UBD K8500
My Recommended Daytime Settings Apps(Video), My Recommended Daytime Settings Apps, My non-HDR and HDR Settings, Setting HDMI to show no overscan
Sony XBR75X940C, Samsung UBD K8500, Roku Ultra, DirecTV RVU and C61K, Chromecast Ultra
CCsoftball7 is offline  
post #13640 of 14409 Old 11-03-2017, 10:19 AM
Senior Member
 
Cyber Chulo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: NY
Posts: 489
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceames View Post
I got it April 2016. The service tech guy says he's seen lots of issues with the set. I just hope it last another 3-4 years because that's my next planned upgrade timeline (probably go with OLED if the 75+ sets are reasonably priced enough). But I really hope it last another 8-10 years because I have 3 rooms and I pass the TVs down the food chain when I upgrade (living room-->bedroom-->den-->give away to needy family member).
I have the 940c in the living rm and the 65" Z9D in the bedroom. Even though the Z9D is better in almost everyway, I still consider the 940c the Big Daddy set that does it all everytime I look at it. I did sign up for the 4 year costco squaretrade plan when I got it. But my hope is that this tv will last at least 7 years. For a set that cost me 6 grand, I would be furious if it went out on me this early.

PSN ID Cyber125
Cyber Chulo is offline  
post #13641 of 14409 Old 11-03-2017, 11:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bruceames's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: San Rafael, CA
Posts: 1,427
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 538 Post(s)
Liked: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Chulo View Post
I have the 940c in the living rm and the 65" Z9D in the bedroom. Even though the Z9D is better in almost everyway, I still consider the 940c the Big Daddy set that does it all everytime I look at it. I did sign up for the 4 year costco squaretrade plan when I got it. But my hope is that this tv will last at least 7 years. For a set that cost me 6 grand, I would be furious if it went out on me this early.
I am not happy of course, but the repair cost is relatively small compared to what I paid for it ($670 repair for a $4300 purchase). As I don't generally pay for extended warranties, I have to expect to pay out of pocket for electronics failures once in a while. I just hope this really fixes it and it stays fixed for a long time.
daimler2015 likes this.
bruceames is offline  
post #13642 of 14409 Old 11-03-2017, 11:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bruceames's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: San Rafael, CA
Posts: 1,427
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 538 Post(s)
Liked: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCsoftball7 View Post
That sounds like my chain (living room-->bedroom-->bonus room-->give away to needy family member)
Actually my "den" is also a spare bedroom that is used as a den, since it's also a playroom for the grandkids and for someone to sleep over as well. It's downstairs while the other bedrooms are upstairs. My stepson uses it most to watch TV and for gaming on the Xboxone. Right now it has the Sony 900A that I bought 3 years ago and that's the TV that I'm watching while the 940C gets repaired (hopefully by next week).
CCsoftball7 likes this.
bruceames is offline  
post #13643 of 14409 Old 11-03-2017, 12:23 PM
Advanced Member
 
NJChris's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Riverdale, NJ USA
Posts: 535
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Been getting the "Unfortunately xxxx has stopped working" a lot since the last update. I don't want to do ANOTHER master reset.....

Xiaomi Wemax One Projector
NJChris is offline  
post #13644 of 14409 Old 11-04-2017, 04:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bobbino421's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: New York City
Posts: 1,928
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked: 785
Hi guys. I've posted on here before but I didn't realize that I should have been following this thread all along! I was following the other 930/940C thread. Anyway I'm trying to catch up but there is alot to read! I purchased my 930C in late feb of 2016. I just looked at the build date I'm surprised that I have a Jan 2016 panel! I have had no problems with my set and it seems to be perfect (knock on wood) except for a few buggy android issues and the factory sony subwoofer issues (I figured that out a while ago) it's all good PQ is awesome!

Ok so I went back through the thread a few days ago and started at about the point when the update with HDR began and im currently up to march 2016 on the thread so far . HDR is what I'm really interested in, especially on how it performs with UHD blu rays! I've owned 3 different players, I may get the panny again later or something with Dolby vision support (I wanna upgrade to the 75 Z9D or an OLED down the road and put my 930C in the bedroom) but im interested in getting the best possible PQ I can get right now! I'm pretty much set to default on picture settings with some minor adjustments (this tv blew me away out the box when I got it especially with UHD bluray) and I'm not that knowledgeable when it come to the technical details but reading these threads i have learned a few things. I'm goin to try some of your settings that some have you have posted especially CCsoftball's HDR settings!

I have some questions specifically with those of you who have the 930C or 940C paired up with Sony UBP X800 or Panasonic DMP UB900 blu ray players, which settings are best on the player themselves? Also I wanna calibrate my TV in the future but wanna wait till I upgrade so this way I can get 2 tv calibrations at the same time, I could use a recommendation on someone who is near NYC or is willing to travel? Finally one last minor thing I tried to access the usage hrs just because I'm curious on much i have used it. I followed the instructions on how with no success! Can someone explain the sequence in detail?

Sony 55 A9F
Panasonic DP-UB820
Sony UBP-X700
Samsung HW-K950 Dolby Atmos sound bar
bobbino421 is online now  
post #13645 of 14409 Old 11-04-2017, 10:41 PM
Member
 
tuckers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 84
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Try the app SPMC for playing video over networks. It's worked the best for me for playing back large files without stutters or stops. It also has the best picture quality I have seen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATechGuy View Post
at least one, maybe two updates ago, I started seeing movie playback start to jutter/skip/hesitate, etc. But let me explain:

I'm one of the few left, it seems, that subscribes to the DVD part of Netflix. When I disc arrives, I run an application called MakeMKV over the disk, and I pull off the movie and save it on my file server in mkv format. I doubt any transcoding takes place since my "TV PC" has old CPU and it is able to keep up with a 10/100 connection.

Then, then the mood to see that movie exists, use ES File explorer on my 930C to find the file on the file server and use the Sony Movie app to play it back. It used to work flawlessly, but as I said, it seems like in the past few months, I seem to get it to play back for a many seconds, and then it pauses, like it's buffering, or really, more like it's having to drop a few frames to catch up. So I'm trying to debug this. I know I can probably dig deeper into this, but I am tossing it out there to see if any others have found some tools better than others for trouble-shooting this sort of stuff.

From a network standpoint, the server is capable of totally saturating a Gb network, and the TV, of course sadly only has 100Bt NIC. I have tried using wireless (with full AC network (and the AP is VERY close, perhaps even too close!) ) but the network change seems to have no change.

I've tried changing video apps and mostly, all I see are slight variations on contrast and saturation by the use of different codecs. But they all seem to stutter.

So I'm convinced there is SOMETHING ELSE RUNNING that is stealing precious SOC CPU since this CPU is no barn burner. Sadly, even my "TV PC" with a crappy Core 2 duo is able to keep up with no problem on these files.

So, mostly, I'm asking if anyone has found a good CPU or activity monitor app that they can run at the same time as another app that is having "issues" to see if the system is being drained by some rogue app that really doesn't need to be running?

Thanks,
-Ken
tuckers is offline  
post #13646 of 14409 Old 11-05-2017, 07:07 PM
Advanced Member
 
GunmetalR56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 620
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Chulo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceames View Post
I got it April 2016. The service tech guy says he's seen lots of issues with the set. I just hope it last another 3-4 years because that's my next planned upgrade timeline (probably go with OLED if the 75+ sets are reasonably priced enough). But I really hope it last another 8-10 years because I have 3 rooms and I pass the TVs down the food chain when I upgrade (living room-->bedroom-->den-->give away to needy family member).
I have the 940c in the living rm and the 65" Z9D in the bedroom. Even though the Z9D is better in almost everyway, I still consider the 940c the Big Daddy set that does it all everytime I look at it. I did sign up for the 4 year costco squaretrade plan when I got it. But my hope is that this tv will last at least 7 years. For a set that cost me 6 grand, I would be furious if it went out on me this early.
I have a question or two for you if you don't mind?

I have the 940c and I'm considering the 75z9d.

You seem to really love your 940c even with a Z in the house. How do you feel the 940 does with HDR content vs the Z9D (more specifically..black level and blooming)? Second..how do you feel they compare contrast wise?

Thanks for your time!

Ascend Sierra Towers w/RAAL, Ascend Horizon Center w/RAAL, Ascend Sierra 2 surrounds, PSB Imagine XA Atmos modules (x4), SVS PB13 Ultras (x2), SVS PB12+ (x2)
Denon X6500H / Emotiva Mini-X a-100
Panasonic DP-UB820 / PS4 Pro / XBOX 1X
Sony XBR75Z9D, LG OLED65B7A
GunmetalR56 is offline  
post #13647 of 14409 Old 11-06-2017, 04:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mt14942's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Pembroke Pines, Florida
Posts: 2,273
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Chulo View Post
I have the 940c in the living rm and the 65" Z9D in the bedroom. Even though the Z9D is better in almost everyway, I still consider the 940c the Big Daddy set that does it all everytime I look at it. I did sign up for the 4 year costco squaretrade plan when I got it. But my hope is that this tv will last at least 7 years. For a set that cost me 6 grand, I would be furious if it went out on me this early.

When I bought the 940C back in the 1st quarter of 2016 I moved my Pioneer Plasma Elite 151FD to the bedroom and that TV is now well over 9 years old and it doesn't seem to want to quit. I thought these plasma TV's had a shorter life span? Part of me wants the darn thing to die already so I can justify replacing it with a Sony OLED or the Z9D.

Sony 75xZ9D
Sony UBP-X800 4K player
Oppo UDP-205 4k player
Classe SSP-800 pre/pro
Parasound Halo 5 channel Amp
mt14942 is offline  
post #13648 of 14409 Old 11-06-2017, 06:52 AM
Senior Member
 
Egghaus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 222
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 73
So I asked this a few pages back but want to ask again, I could pick up a Sony Refurb X930C for about $1400 CAD. Does the edge lit local dimming actually perform well or is it mostly useless? Based on the RTINGS review it still has excellent native contrast and uniformity. There doesn't seem to be many 930C owners in this thread. I would be able to test the TV before buying. I would love to just upgrade to the new 900E but the lack of 3D is really holding me back. I also happen to love the look of the TV with the side speakers.
stjefrey likes this.

Sony XBR75X940C, UBP-X800, PS4 Pro 5.1.2 System Yamaha RX-V1081 Paradigm Studio 60 V5, Monitor Center 3 V7, Titan V2 Klipsch RP-140SA DIY 15" Sub w/Inuke1000DSP
Egghaus is offline  
post #13649 of 14409 Old 11-06-2017, 06:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bruceames's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: San Rafael, CA
Posts: 1,427
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 538 Post(s)
Liked: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunmetalR56 View Post
I have a question or two for you if you don't mind?

I have the 940c and I'm considering the 75z9d.

You seem to really love your 940c even with a Z in the house. How do you feel the 940 does with HDR content vs the Z9D (more specifically..black level and blooming)? Second..how do you feel they compare contrast wise?

Thanks for your time!
Sorry I can't answer your question as I don't own the Z9D, but rather the 930C and 940C.
bruceames is offline  
post #13650 of 14409 Old 11-06-2017, 07:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
CCsoftball7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Cary, NC
Posts: 3,701
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1695 Post(s)
Liked: 1287
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunmetalR56 View Post
I have a question or two for you if you don't mind?

I have the 940c and I'm considering the 75z9d.

You seem to really love your 940c even with a Z in the house. How do you feel the 940 does with HDR content vs the Z9D (more specifically..black level and blooming)? Second..how do you feel they compare contrast wise?

Thanks for your time!
I don't own both, but my brother owns a 75Z9D and I own the 940C. If you watch in a dark environment, the Z9D is noticeably better. However, if you are in a well lit room, the 940C performs quite well in comparison. Having said that, if I had the chance, I would pick up the Z9D in a heartbeat if I were looking for a new set for my family room.

A little more fuel - I am looking for a 65" set for my bedroom. I'm going to buy an OLED for the black level performance. While the Z9D is a great set (arguably the best LED set ever made), nothing compares to the black level of OLED.
bruceames and daimler2015 like this.

Sony XBR75X940C & XBR65A1E Samsung UBD K8500
My Recommended Daytime Settings Apps(Video), My Recommended Daytime Settings Apps, My non-HDR and HDR Settings, Setting HDMI to show no overscan
Sony XBR75X940C, Samsung UBD K8500, Roku Ultra, DirecTV RVU and C61K, Chromecast Ultra
CCsoftball7 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
940C , hdr , Sony , X930C , X940C

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off