AVS Forum banner

**Official** Sony X930C / X940C Owners Thread

1M views 15K replies 725 participants last post by  marcuslaw 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello all,

Thought I would create this as Im one of the first owners on the forum. Lets keep this about the TV and what its like to own it. Thanks.

Some Photos:

X940C

Weights and Measurements
Packaging (Approx.) : Carton dimensions: 81 3/8 x 43 1/2 x 10 in (2067 x 1104 x 253 mm)

Carton weight: 152.0 lbs (69.0 kg)

Dimensions (Approx.) : TV only: 76 x 39 1/8 x 4 3/8(2 3/8) in (1929 x 991 x 110(60) mm) TV with stand: 76 x 41(41 3/8) x 12 3/4 in (1929 x 1041(1048) x 322 mm)

Weight (Approx.) : TV only: 123.4 lbs (56 kg)

TV with stand: 125.2 lbs (56.8 Kg)

See less See more
#12,812 ·
Like many (all?) of you who have done the MM upgrade, I have been experiencing myriad reboots; every time I go into apps and other random times. I just got around to removing Featured Apps and SONY Select and since then I haven't had a reboot, despite going in and out of apps a number of times. We'll see if it holds up over multiple viewing sessions.

#12,813 · (Edited)
upgraded to mm last month- since then i also have had many reboots recently while in apps & still have lip sync issues on netflix & more so on amazon using sony apps & also the sound blips when trying to adjust volume while watching anything on amazon app - Never had any of these issues before updating to MM_
i've done factory reset with plug pull & holding vol-/power buttons on TV while plugging in (but not 3 times recommended earlier here). about ready to re-do the re-set & do it 3 times to c if this does anything.
i bought roku premier + at costco recently to c if that corrected some of sony app issues and be able to get DD+ thru my Yamaha 779 AVR (no atmos)- which sony TV doesn't pass from the apps. But the Roku has its own lip sync issues that are much worse than from the sony- & issues with various versions of software. -

#12,815 ·
Maybe a dumb question? I'm reading on here that some tvs do not support 4K HDR through all of their HDMI Ports like The ZD9 for example. If so what about the 930C? On my 930c have HDMI 1-3 set on enhanced except ARC. Can anyone clarify?

#12,821 · (Edited)
940C Motion Processing Issues

Greetings. Wanted to see if anyone was having motion processing issues with their 940C.

What I am seeing is the lots of jaggies when using the Spears & Munsil HD Benchmark 2nd Edition, particularly under the Video Processing submenu, under Edge Adaptive, and then using the Jaggies: Full test.

No matter what motion processing I select, there is jaggies except when motion processing is off.

Also, when I reset my 940C sometimes I lose the ability to choose different motion processing settings, as in the "Custom, Smooth, Standard, etc." If I am in Custom picture mode the only available motion processing is "Custom or Off", if I am in Standard picture mode the only available motion processing is "Standard, Custom, or Off". Is that also normal? It's like every picture setting is limited in motion processing choices.

My test setup is 940C, Pioneer Elite SC-97, Xbox One S (playing BD disc).

Any input on your motion processing experiences would be welcome. Thanks.

EDIT 1-20-17 -- I added a photo of the particular test in Spears & Munsil that I am referring too. You can notice the cloudy jaggies that occurs along the rotating line where it goes over the circular hatched area. When motion processing is off the scene is kinda choppy but it generates distinctly straight lines in the hatch area, whereas with any motion processing on it looks like the photo (cloudy jaggies).

Attachments

#12,822 ·
Greetings. Wanted to see if anyone was having motion processing issues with their 940C.

What I am seeing is the lots of jaggies when using the Spears & Munsil HD Benchmark 2nd Edition, particularly under the Video Processing submenu, under Edge Adaptive, and then using the Jaggies: Full test.

No matter what motion processing I select, there is jaggies except when motion processing is off.

Also, when I reset my 940C sometimes I lose the ability to choose different motion processing settings, as in the "Custom, Smooth, Standard, etc." If I am in Custom picture mode the only available motion processing is "Custom or Off", if I am in Standard picture mode the only available motion processing is "Standard, Custom, or Off". Is that also normal? It's like every picture setting is limited in motion processing choices.

My test setup is 940C, Pioneer Elite SC-97, Xbox One S (playing BD disc).

Any input on your motion processing experiences would be welcome. Thanks.
I run my 940C with motion processing off. I haven't tested as you have, but it looks the most natural to me on all sources.

#12,824 ·
I am somewhat in a quandary as I might have the opportunity to get 75 " Z series TV based on the issues I have had with the 940C. The problem is The only one that makes sense for me to get is the 75" Z series because I don't want to lose 3D capabilities and the new E series is not going to have 3d from what I'm hearing and it's 3M $ more and it doesn't have the speakers of the 940C. I already like the picture and have dialed in some settings I'm happy with on my 940C. I guess it all boils down to is the extra tech that comes with Z series out weighs the additional cost and the loss of better speakers (I do have a surround sound system.) Or I can live with what I have and just not be able to use the TV for any streaming, which is not the end of the world.

#12,825 · (Edited)
Hi there! Looking for advice from the experts.

I currently have a Sony XBR65X930C. I love the rich saturated colors and brightness level, and the motion processing is great, but the unit I have has noticeable flashlight effect on the corners on dark scenes, some uniformity issues, and I just miss having a FALD TV (my previous TV was a 46" FALD Samsung which I adored, it was just too small!). I feel like the marketing hype of the 930C's ultra-deep blacks was a bit overblown--if you are used to a FALD, it's just not even in the same ballpark, especially given all the backlight flaws I can see on dark scenes. I kind of feel like I might have gotten a lemon since the X930C's reviews are all so glowing.

I was just offered a P65-C1 at an incredibly good price by a friend in the industry--low enough that I could certainly sell my current set and break even. Assuming it's not defective (yellow band, etc.), is this a good trade-off? Anything I should be aware of? Will I miss my Quantum Dots or my X1 processor? I certainly won't miss the built-in Android.

(I posted this same question in the Vizio P owner's thread, to get both brand owners' opinions. Also, I mostly use PS4 Pro for gaming and Apple TV for watching TV/movies, if you're curious how it will be used)

#12,839 · (Edited)
I have such wonderful BRANDNEW UPDATED news

Update: Sony confirms that the HLG update will also come to 2016 TVs (ZD9/XD83/XD80/SD80/XD75/XD70 and XD94/XD93/XD85/X94C/X93C/X90C/X85C).

and means our 2015 TV`s i am correct?????

Source:
http://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1484553703

Well, HLG is interesting only for LIVE TV, not ULTRAHD

#12,844 ·
Could HLG also be necessary for dynamic HDR10?

You read it the same as I read it. The 2015 94C series should receive the update (also update to Nougat).

#12,851 ·
It's plagued with issues right now. Why would you want it?

Reactions: x21inc
#12,862 ·
I've seen some of this out there, but I bought the Oppo specifically because professional reviewers that compared head-to-head all stated that the Oppo was the best player on the market, citing its picture quality, processing, and later upgrades. I can't say for certain it's better, as I don't own the Panny. I personally believe they would be very close of not the same. I love my Panny blu-ray player and still employee it for regular blu-ray playback for 2 reasons - when using custom as the motion setting on the 940c, the settings stay the same on HDR and SDR and I set them differently, and I like the 940c doing the upscaling, as it does a great job.

#12,857 ·
I just started getting random "Google Play Services has stopped" messages yesterday. I restarted the TV and haven't seen them since.

#12,858 ·
factory reset 3 times in row this week -using vol-/power on TV re previous post here with sony instructions- absolutely no difference in MM update- still reboots sometimes for no reason when beginning streaming from TV & lipsync issue with streaming still there esp from amazon & netflix since MM update. Wish i'd just left it alone on android 5, as i had no lipsync issues b4 MM update- did have reboots but no big deal compared with issues now.

#12,859 · (Edited)
Thanks to @morphinapg, I accessed the calibration on a Sony UHD disc (type 7669 on your remote at the disc's main menu). I have since changed the HDR settings as follows (number on left is default):

Brightness:

Brightness: Max
Contrast: Max changed to 77
Gamma: 0 changed to -2
Black Level: 50
Black Adjust: Off
Adv. Contrast Enhancer: Off
Auto Local Dimming: Medium
X-tendend Dynamic Range: High

Color:

Color: 50
Hue: 0
Color Temperature: Expert1
- Adv Color Temperature
- R-Gain: Max
- G-Gain: Max
- B-Gain: Max
Color Space: Auto
Live Color: Low

Clarity:

Sharpness: 50
Reality Creation: Manual
- Resolution: 20
Mastered in 4K: off
Random Noise Reduction: Off
Digital Noise Reduction: Off

Motion:

Motionflow: Off
CineMotion: Off

#12,860 ·
Here's a rookie question about implementing the 3D feature on my 940C. I use an Oppo 105 as my source device.

I'm not a 3D addict (clearly!) but I bought a couple of 3D releases just to play with the thing. I seem not to be able to sync the set with the included glasses, at least that's what I perceive the problem/symptom to be. There's a certain flickering with some variations in visual brightness seen as horizontal banding (hope I am describing this correctly) but more annoying is that the two images don't mesh to provide seamless 3D. It's most obvious on vertical images like architectural columns or masts of ships but it renders the 3D feature unusable. Both of my glasses react the same, and both of my 3D discs exhibit the same issues.

I got my TV at the end of the run so presumably the batteries are probably a bit old at this point, but the lights flash as they should and the glasses themselves weren't even taken out of their protective packaging until a few weeks ago.

Any hints, tips, resolutions etc?

#12,867 ·
^agreed. Best to wait a while and get another panel once everything is worked out. The 940c will easily hold my interest for that duration - best TV I've ever seen or owned.

Reactions: daimler2015
#12,915 ·
I had a similar issue tonight - lack of depth in 3D and a flickering black line in the upper part of the screen that mostly seemed to be coming through the right lens. Forcing a reboot resolved it completely. I also wasn't able to set up 3D in the nVidia control panel prior to rebooting, as the images during setup were swapped relative to what they should have been.

#12,874 ·
Not to mention that the OPPO has more features than the Panny and can easily be made region free (unlike the Panny). Now many people might not ever care for these extra "bells and whistles", but at least you know the options will be there in case a format or feature becomes more appealing down the road. It's like "interest proofing" a critical piece of your gear.

#12,879 ·
In addition to the 3D issue I'm having, I noticed a second small bug after the update. When I raise the volume up, after a few seconds when the volume level is displayed on the screen, the volume part and black bar goes away but the "Eco: Off" and energy use bar remians. The only way to make it disappear is to turn the volume down one notch.

Volume up, it remains.
Volume down, it goes away like it's supposed to.

#12,881 ·
Hey guys! I really need your help and experience....My 940C's HDMI port 4 has stopped working and is still under in warranty. I've done a lot of research on there new models in CES 2017 they announced and since I've had so many bad LCD panels I think I might just make a jump towards Sony's new OLED BUT! there new x940 series do peek my interest since they can do Dolby Vision and has a slim backlit drive plus. I'm not looking toward Z9D series TV's because the info I've gathered and read from Sony news they don't do Dolby Vision and only views HDR10, but they still consider it there flagship series TV's despite there new LCD TV's and OLED coming out which is interesting to hear them say.

I just wanna hear everyones opinion and experience and I know its odd asking an opinion on an OLED on this thread but the OLED threads are all LG pride fans and no offense to them they don't know much about Sony TV's as you all do. So please let me know what you think thanks.

Also I read from articles that Sony's OLED will be the brightest OLED TV ever made and even brighter than LG's signature new wallpaper thin models and G6 series of TV's which is awesome to hear.

#12,882 ·
I`m not a believer of OLED especially while they continue to run the WRGB configuration, reminds me of Sharp's Quattron technology with a Yellow pixel. I just dont like it as it has some of the same flaws of Plasma. The Z9D will be getting the DV upgrade. The X1-Extreme processor is capable of DV and are in the process of releasing Z9D for DV. Just return the X940C and wait because Sony will release the followup to Z9D in August or September. The 940 series are no longer their flagship and our C units are superior to D models. Good luck but Sony OLED will be better than LG but I still have more faith in LCD tech than OLED.