AVS Forum banner

**Official** Sony X930C / X940C Owners Thread

1M views 15K replies 725 participants last post by  marcuslaw 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello all,

Thought I would create this as Im one of the first owners on the forum. Lets keep this about the TV and what its like to own it. Thanks.

Some Photos:

X940C

Weights and Measurements
Packaging (Approx.) : Carton dimensions: 81 3/8 x 43 1/2 x 10 in (2067 x 1104 x 253 mm)

Carton weight: 152.0 lbs (69.0 kg)

Dimensions (Approx.) : TV only: 76 x 39 1/8 x 4 3/8(2 3/8) in (1929 x 991 x 110(60) mm) TV with stand: 76 x 41(41 3/8) x 12 3/4 in (1929 x 1041(1048) x 322 mm)

Weight (Approx.) : TV only: 123.4 lbs (56 kg)

TV with stand: 125.2 lbs (56.8 Kg)

See less See more
#5 ·
Scene select allows you to have multiple settings on tap per input and will be missed if it is no longer used.
Say you have all your bluray, playstation, cable box etc running through an amp to hdmi input one you would tap options and it would be the first input to select. You could store tv, cinema, sport and game picture settings and switch between them with ease

Attachments

#11 ·
I took a few shots but they're far too large to attach here, so heads up if you have low bandwidth: http://1drv.ms/1Etuhrn

Scene select allows you to have multiple settings on tap per input and will be missed if it is no longer used.
Say you have all your bluray, playstation, cable box etc running through an amp to hdmi input one you would tap options and it would be the first input to select. You could store tv, cinema, sport and game picture settings and switch between them with ease
This is available - you can have individual scene settings per input.

#6 · (Edited)
Yeah I haven't seen that. But then again I haven't been looking for it. Also there is an update coming that might enable that. There are a couple buttons on the remote when pushed say not available yet.

Edit: Looked though the manual online and did a search function and nothing came up for scene select.

#10 ·
Went to BB w/hopes of seeing this and they only had the 850C on display. Looked good with 4K feed but it was truly difficult to see the difference from the 850B below it. So, to my eyes with 4K it was difficult to attest to "X1" improvements.

They had the 75X940C at warehouse but none on display and so the Mag Rep said to me viewing the 85" 950B how would you like to get that $20K PQ for $8K as he insisted that is you'll get only at 75". Fact is that 85" running 4K was easily the best panel in the store when combining that immense size with it's PQ and Blacks. I'm hoping he's right.

Saw the LG OLED 65" and yes it has pure black bars and deep blacks to contrast I also saw several things that were troubling as it played BD Guardians - I saw a lot of black crush in dark scenes and when movement occurred I saw blurring with a lack of sharp details. If black bars gets you off then it's a winner but blurred details or black crush suck and I believe Sony's processing will surpass those shortcomings with better shadow details. Perhaps the OLED will outperform with animation cartoons but I feel Sony wins with Film details. If Sony ever truly tackles OLED they'll have a winner. Samsung JS9500 was also impressive but the 78" price is insane for now.

Looking forward to Carlos postings soon when he gets a healthy delivery.

#33 · (Edited)
I see the HDMI ports for the 940c 1,2,3,4. I am curious about the function/purpose of MHL & ARC regarding typical use? I assume the ARC feature is useless unless one has an ARC capable ARV? And the MHL is for charging & mirroring of cell phones & tablets via a cord?

Also where is the optical out as I do not see it on the below pic and does it output DD 5.1 & DTS 5.1 out to a ARV if the TV is fed those signals via any of the 4 HDMI's? If it is fed just stereo will the optical out also transmit that to an ARV as long as it is digital and not an analog signal? The reason I ask is I heard some TV's optical out can receive 5.1 in but outputs it as only 2 ch stereo.

Attachments

#34 · (Edited)
It does have an optical out. It's a little lower than the picture shows. It's DD 5.1, Basically the same as I get on my HDMI ARC.

MHL is a port from your cell phone or tablet to give HD audio and HD video to the TV. With air play and Google cast it's almost useless unless you need low latency.

On ARC you have to have a compatible receiver and have it turned on within the receiver. I use ARC all the time when watching in TV apps like Netflix and when watching UHD content from my HDD.

#41 ·
Fox will release all new movies in Ultra HD and HDR..Awesome news there is going to be lots of HDR 4k movies that all 930/940c users will be able to watch :) so much for no HDR content for a long time or viewing HDR clips nope owners will be able to watch lots of movies in HDR expect all other studios to follow suit :) HDR is a big deal I have seen it and trust me it's mind blowing seems like hollywood agrees

Hollywood is clearly excited about high dynamic range. 20th Century Fox has decided to release versions of all of its new movies, as well as some catalogue titles, in Ultra HD and HDR for the living room.

MOVIES IN UHD AND HDR

Many people believe that the combination of 4K resolution and HDR can take the viewing experience to new heights. Hollywood seems to agree. The studios show sincere enthusiasm for HDR after 3D felt more like a burden to them.

Film studio, 20th Century Fox, will release all future movies in Ultra HD with HDR for home entertainment, according to The Hollywood Reporter. Two catalogue titles, X-Men: Days of Future Past and The Maze Runner, will also be re-released.

Ultra HD has four times as many pixels as HD. High Dynamic Range is about better contrast; brighter whites and deeper blacks. The industry often refers to HDR as "better pixels". The first TVs with HDR support have been released and many more will follow later this year.

The new Ultra HD Blu-ray standard will support HDR. Netflix has confirmed that it will start offering HDR streaming later this year. Hollywood is also hoping to introduce HDR in movie theatres through initiatives such as Dolby Cinema.

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.ph...D+-+May+26,+2015&utm_term=newsletter_sub1_jpg

#42 · (Edited)
Something weird happened last night with the buggy firmware. I went in and hid all of the inputs I wasn't using, and after that, no HDMI inputs would work. Very strange. I cycled power a few times to no avail. I then left it unplugged and went to bed and this morning everything was fine. Just something to throw out there.

I haven't had time to do a calibration, but right now I have been debating on the use of the light sensor option. Everything I know / remember tells me to leave this off, but with it on the blacks get blacker. I have a feeling I need to adjust the black level when I turn this off, as the picture gets a lot brighter, even in cinema home / pro with it off.

I did watch the Dark Knight last night, well at least portions in between the terrible Hawks game, and was impressed with what I saw.

#43 · (Edited)
Something weird happened last night with the buggy firmware. I went in and hid all of the inputs I wasn't using, and after that, no HDMI inputs would work. Very strange. I cycled power a few times to no avail. I then left it unplugged and went to bed and this morning everything was fine. Just something to throw out there.

I haven't had time to do a calibration, but right now I have been debating on the use of the light sensor option. Everything I know / remember tells me to leave this off, but with it out the blacks get blacker. I have a feeling I need to adjust the black level when I turn this off, as the picture gets a lot brighter, even in cinema home / pro with it off.

I did watch the Dark Knight last night, well at least portions in between the terrible Hawks game, and was impressed with what I saw.
I have the light sensor option off and the TV looks a lot less washed out. But there is a pretty fine line while adjusting the black level. Like it crushes or greys the blacks. What value are you at on black level and brightness.

I'm in cinema home with the brightness set to 26 and black level at 39 and it looks pretty good. But sometimes it auto adjusts the black level and I hate it. Do you have that issue?

What is the difference between cinema home and pro?

Oh also can you look and see if you receive more of the picture in game mode? When I switch from game mode to cinema modes it appears to zoom slightly. I believe I'm losing some definition when it zooms like that.

#47 ·
just got my x940c home. Now for the task of actually getting it into the basement. First order of a business after that is a zone recount!

#49 ·
I just did a chat with Sony about the full product manual and auto backlight adjustment and here is what they said.

" I have researched the information and can see that the full product manual is currently not available online or for purchase. Regarding the TV's auto backlit correction settings, I'm sorry to inform you that it is not possible to change the settings."

#52 ·
These guys often don't know what they are talking about. I have a feeling we are going to have to wait until a pro does a calibration on one of these to get some better guidance, due to the fact that they changed alot of the settings and what some of them do and also eliminated some.

#55 ·
It didn't fit in my SUV, on the left that is a Chrysler Town and Country Minvan that my mom picked up last week, which I knew from visiting the dealer with her had 4 feet by 8 feet of clearance. The box was 44" by just shy of 8 fit. It was a match made in heaven!

Downloading an update at the moment.. But here is another pic.

#56 ·
I've been pleasantly surprised by the audio when used with the Sony sub I picked up from Fry's for $199. I think I got the last one in the country new sealed in box for $199 at Fry's. However I still have this Sonos Playbar sitting here unopened. I think I will open it up tonight and compare the 2 if I get time. I don't have the Sonos Sub, so I won't use the Sony sub when doing a comparison.

#61 ·
This is the longest firmware update in the history of firmware updates.. has to be 45 minutes already... finished downloading in 5.

#63 ·
A user over on 850C forums had Kodi up and running on his set awesome news . I also saw another user runnin SNES emulator playing Mario Kart. This set has full android no restrictions or bastardized version and thats awesome !!!