XBR55X850C Vs XBR49830C - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 06-17-2015, 09:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
XBR55X850C Vs XBR49830C

Alright guys I need your help settling a debate. I took a look at the XBR55X850C at a local store and it instantly caught my eye as it was very clear, the blacks were deep, and the detail intense. I took a look at it and thought to myself "wow, if I could get this in a slight smaller size that would fit my desk I would totally be happy with the quality." I spoke to a sales rep who sold me on the XBR49830C which he said was the same quality just smaller and that the 830 simply meant it was above 30"s while the 850 simply indicated it was above 50"s. Since he didn't have a display available or one in stock I had them place one of the ones coming in on hold. On my way home from the store I stopped by another store that had the 830 on display and from the moment I saw it I knew something had to be wrong. It had this heavy blue haze in all of the dark areas and while the image was sharp I never could see black, just a dark blue color. It was worse than my 10 year old 720p Toshiba. After looking online however it seems like many people are complaining about this haze and low contrast ratio and even some of the reviews mention it so what gives? I looked at the technical details on Sony's website and there isn't any real distinguishing characteristics. So is it the luck of the LCD draw or is it an embedded problem? I would get the 55" 850c but it's just too damn big.

What are your thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-18-2015, 05:48 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 48
IMHO, the 830C is for people who want a 4k but don't want to pay a lot or care about PQ, the 850C is a step up in in PQ and price. I have my eye on the 930C/940C for main TV but I would consider the 850c for bedroom or secondary TV.

Last edited by SolidState9311; 06-18-2015 at 07:52 PM.
post #3 of 9 Old 06-18-2015, 12:43 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Boulrice View Post
Alright guys I need your help settling a debate. I took a look at the XBR55X850C at a local store and it instantly caught my eye as it was very clear, the blacks were deep, and the detail intense. I took a look at it and thought to myself "wow, if I could get this in a slight smaller size that would fit my desk I would totally be happy with the quality." I spoke to a sales rep who sold me on the XBR49830C which he said was the same quality just smaller and that the 830 simply meant it was above 30"s while the 850 simply indicated it was above 50"s. Since he didn't have a display available or one in stock I had them place one of the ones coming in on hold. On my way home from the store I stopped by another store that had the 830 on display and from the moment I saw it I knew something had to be wrong. It had this heavy blue haze in all of the dark areas and while the image was sharp I never could see black, just a dark blue color. It was worse than my 10 year old 720p Toshiba. After looking online however it seems like many people are complaining about this haze and low contrast ratio and even some of the reviews mention it so what gives? I looked at the technical details on Sony's website and there isn't any real distinguishing characteristics. So is it the luck of the LCD draw or is it an embedded problem? I would get the 55" 850c but it's just too damn big.

What are your thoughts?
Your sales guy was being dishonest. There is a reason that Sony changed the number from 850c to 830c, and that is because while most of the features are there, there are a few differences:

- the x850c and up have the Triluminous colors. The x830c does not.
- the x850c and up use VA panels, which have worse viewing angles and better picture quality. The x850c is IPS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 06-18-2015, 02:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1291 Post(s)
Liked: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Boulrice View Post
It had this heavy blue haze in all of the dark areas and while the image was sharp I never could see black, just a dark blue color. It was worse than my 10 year old 720p Toshiba. After looking online however it seems like many people are complaining about this haze and low contrast ratio and even some of the reviews mention it so what gives?
While some it may have been due to the setup in the store you saw it in there is no doubt it is inferior to the X850C. The biggest difference as someone else mentioned is the fact that it uses an IPS panel with a low contrast ratio.
post #5 of 9 Old 06-23-2015, 07:04 AM

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 42
So this 49" is worth the extra $200.00? I just bought the 43" and am really only disappointed in the fact that it doesn't do Amazon UHD. I know the 49" one does (I should really have looked online before I purchased but it was for my bedroom and I thought 43" would be enough lol).
post #6 of 9 Old 06-23-2015, 08:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Panda_Chef View Post
So this 49" is worth the extra $200.00? I just bought the 43" and am really only disappointed in the fact that it doesn't do Amazon UHD. I know the 49" one does (I should really have looked online before I purchased but it was for my bedroom and I thought 43" would be enough lol).
None of the 2015 Sony TVs do Amazon UHD yet because Amazon has not released the Android TV app with UHD support yet. It should be coming in the next 30 days.

I am fairly certain the the 43 and 49 X830c's run the same software but I can't guarantee it because I have not been in the market for a smaller TV.
post #7 of 9 Old 06-23-2015, 10:45 AM

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Hmmm, the Amazon site says all of the 850's, 900's and 950's support the app? Is this not the right models? I guess they all have a "B" after their numbers and not a "C."
post #8 of 9 Old 06-23-2015, 11:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hmmm, the Amazon site says all of the 850's, 900's and 950's support the app? Is this not the right models? I guess they all have a "B" after their numbers and not a "C."
Yes, the TVs ending in "B" are last year's(2014) TVs
post #9 of 9 Old 08-03-2015, 11:10 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
UHD should be available in Amazon now on this TV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page