Need Advice on Buying a New 4k HDTV Under $1,600 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By SlaughterX
  • 1 Post By dalto
  • 1 Post By SlaughterX

post #1 of 5 Old 06-24-2015, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Need Advice on Buying a New 4k HDTV Under $1,600

So I am moving and can finally justify buying a new bigger screen TV.Looking for something around 55 inches and under $1,600. I've had my eye on the Sony XBR55X850C (which is at the very top of my budget) and the XBR55X800B ($1,300, I thought this one had the best picture) along with the Samsung UN55JU6500 ($1,100). 3D isn't a must but I wouldn't mind it...

I checked out all of these TVs at Best Buy but of course I couldn't compare the same 4K material on each TV so that didn't help much.
I will be using an Xbox One, PS4, Wii U, and I will soon be upgrading the GPU in my X51 to a GTX 970 for native 4k content.

What are the advantages of curved TVs?
oneeyeblind likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-24-2015, 10:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1290 Post(s)
Liked: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlaughterX View Post
So I am moving and can finally justify buying a new bigger screen TV.Looking for something around 55 inches and under $1,600. I've had my eye on the Sony XBR55X850C (which is at the very top of my budget) and the XBR55X800B ($1,300, I thought this one had the best picture) along with the Samsung UN55JU6500 ($1,100). 3D isn't a must but I wouldn't mind it...
The X850C over the X800B adds Triluminous WCG support, 3D, a VA panel, Android TV and VP9 decoding.

The JU6500 is a 60Hz panel. I would step up to at least the JU7100 if you want Samsung.

Quote:
What are the advantages of curved TVs?
They allow them to charge a higher premium? They aren't flat? They look cooler?

In all seriousness there are minimal advantages/disadvantages to a curved vs flat screen. Just pick the one you like best.
oneeyeblind likes this.
post #3 of 5 Old 06-24-2015, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalto View Post
The X850C over the X800B adds Triluminous WCG support, 3D, a VA panel, Android TV and VP9 decoding.

The JU6500 is a 60Hz panel. I would step up to at least the JU7100 if you want Samsung.

They allow them to charge a higher premium? They aren't flat? They look cooler?

In all seriousness there are minimal advantages/disadvantages to a curved vs flat screen. Just pick the one you like best.
But are all those features in the more expensive Sony worth an extra $300? I have a DROID but I doubt I would use those features much... is it like having Chromecast built in to the TV? How much of a difference in PQ does Triluminous make? I have no idea what a VA panel or VP9 decoding is... Also lag time is important to me so which TVs have the least amount of input lag, and does the 4k upscaling increase the amount of post processing lag?

Also I hate 120hrz refresh rate, I turn it off on every TV I have that has it. Why do you recommend getting something more than 60hrz?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 06-24-2015, 10:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1290 Post(s)
Liked: 658
Quote:
But are all those features in the more expensive Sony worth an extra $300? I have a DROID but I doubt I would use those features much... is it like having Chromecast built in to the TV? How much of a difference in PQ does Triluminous make? I have no idea what a VA panel or VP9 decoding is... Also lag time is important to me so which TVs have the least amount of input lag, and does the 4k upscaling increase the amount of post processing lag?
The triluminous is basically a better range of color. How much difference it makes depends what your sources are.

A VA panel gives you better blacks at the cost of reduced viewing angles. VP9 decoding is what youtube and google use for 4K encoding.

The TV has built-in Chromecast plus the whole thing runs Android.

Quote:
Also I hate 120hrz refresh rate, I turn it off on every TV I have that has it. Why do you recommend getting something more than 60hrz?
It is, of course, personal preference but there are multiple ways to deal with motion handling. Blank frame insertion or variants of it help with motion handling without introducing the Soap Opera Effect which is probably what you don't like. Either way, if you have it and don't want it you can turn it off. If you don't have it at all you lose the option.
post #5 of 5 Old 07-11-2015, 11:50 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Well I bought the JU7100, should be here on Thursday!
dalto likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page