2Likes
  • 2 Post By Ph8te

post #1 of 15 Old 07-17-2015, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Question Is Vizio good 24” choice?

I watch TV, BDs, etc. On my 65” Panasonic Plasma.

I do have 2 other small TVs that I use tuned to the same news channel & as I walk around, exercise, do household tasks I mainly listen & occasionally watch a few minutes. Kitchen: Panasonic TC 17LA1, a 4:3, 17” LCD & bedroom: old 13” CRT that just failed.

I can fit ~27” wide TV in Bedroom Entertainment Center.

This is what I’m thinking of buying:

VIZIO E-Series 24” Class Razor LED™ Smart TV E24-C1
http://www.vizio.com/e24c1.html
$168.00 Walmart

Has full array LED backlights vs. Edge only LEDs.
Sound quality may be bad even for news only with Speakers/Power Output 2w x2

The other one I’m considering is:

Westinghouse WD24FT1360 $129.99 @ Best Buy

http://westinghouseelectronics.com/p...26/wd24ft1360/

I think it has edge only LED backlight. Much less contrast ratio; 1000:1 vs. Vizio 5 million:1.

Opinions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 07-17-2015, 09:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 2958 Post(s)
Liked: 2617
What difference does it make the TV is only 24 inches? Neither of them are going to look great like a big screen does. Also don't look at the contrast ratio spec they list. It is completely arbitrary. The Vizio is probably the better TV but I am not even sure the difference is worth the extra $38. Both are just too small to really be worried about picture quality.
post #3 of 15 Old 07-17-2015, 09:56 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply,

It’s not about $38. I had planned to get Panasonic or Samsung or some brand that I was familiar with & instead I saw (in 24” size) only; Vizio, Westinghouse & a bunch of brands I never heard of; Proscan, Cutis, Seiki, Supersonic, Scetre, Naxa & Orion America.

I posted in case someone had somethig to offer I had not considered. Another brand I had not found, something very bad re Vizio, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 07-18-2015, 09:15 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 6282 Post(s)
Liked: 5928
At those prices most of the TVs are looked at as "disposable". Vizio would probably be the best bet, but will have so few zones the FALD wouldn't be as meaningful as it is when it's implemented with more zones. You can try to pare down your choices and check the owners thread of each model. That should give you a better idea of what to expect.

Sent from nowhere
mpgxsvcd and dalto like this.
post #5 of 15 Old 07-20-2015, 04:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 200
LG 22LF4520 is another small, 1080p option. It can be ordered online or purchased at Sears. Everything else I've seen is off-brands.
post #6 of 15 Old 07-20-2015, 04:40 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 669 Post(s)
Liked: 887
Another option is the Insignia 24" 1080p LCD TV at Best Buy. I had a friend get one because it has 2 HDMI inputs (the Vizio and some other off-brand had only one) and it also has a headphone jack (so he could plug in his nice little 2.1 PC speaker setup which sounds much better than the built in speakers). I think it was $139. It looks pretty darn good.

Randy
Sony XBR-55X900E, Panasonic TC-P55ST60, TiVo Roamio Pro, TWC Arris DCX3600-M 6-Tuner DVR, Darbee DVP-5000S, Onkyo TX-SR333 AVR, URC MX-890 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - https://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #7 of 15 Old 07-21-2015, 12:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The Vizio E24-C1 is edge lit, not full array. (Razor LED is Vizio speak for edge lit.)

The E32-C1 is the smallest 1080p Vizio unit with full array, though it's worth noting that in all the reviews of that TV is suggests turning off the local dimming as it can cause problems.

At the moment I'm comparing the E24-C1 to the LG 22LF4520. I'm seeing banding on the Vizio so I'm leaning towards the LG. Won't make a final decision until I calibrate them.
post #8 of 15 Old 07-22-2015, 01:14 AM - Thread Starter

@ sdg4vfx, I was tricked into thinking it was backlit instead of edge lit by this review:

http://reviews.lcdtvbuyingguide.com/...io-e24-c1.html

They also lied about the speaker watts claim 5W but Vizio specs state 2W & I confirmed with Vizio.

I bought it a couple days ago @ Walmart. It is OK, I guess. Viewing angle is not good. I was thinking of side to side but up & down angles not good, Need to try to raise it up some. Sound in very thin but OK for News. (I improved sound by selecting “Dynamic & then customize it by changing the 10 kHz from +8 down to only +5) If I need better sound I will look into computer speakers.
I will hook up my old, unused BD player (Panasonic DMP BD80) & calibrate it soon. After I run it ~ 100 hours. “break in”

I also saw the LG but, dismissed since wanted 24”. I could actually fit a 28” but Vizio 28” was only 720p. I now wonder if that LG 22” would have been better despite slightly smaller size?

@RandyWalters , I saw Insignia but consider it an off brand, perhaps unjustly. I didn’t even want Vizio but, I had seen it around for years. I wanted Panasonic or Samsung or Sharp, etc.

Surprisingly, There is a fraction of a second delay on the audio with this Vizio compared to my 10 year old Panasonic SD LCD TV in the Kitchen. So as I pass the hallway where I can hear both, it sounds like an echo! They are both tuned to the exact same cable channel. Vizio has an audio synch adjustment that I hoped could fix this. It has a -/+ scale 0-5. I tested by moving all the way to +5. This had the effect of further delaying the audio on Vizio so it was ~ 1 full second behind the old Panny. I thought great! All I need do is adjust to -2 or -3 but, unfortunately, there is no “-” adjustment! My choices are the default “0” or +1,+2…..up to +5. I checked the Panasonic to see if it had such an adjustment….no.
post #9 of 15 Old 07-24-2015, 12:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

FWIW ... The Vizio 24" and the LG 22" are, for all practical purposes, even. Each has strengths and weakness so it's a trade off.

Both have surprisingly good pictures in terms of color accuracy, both before and after calibration. Also, both have generous controls for adjusting picture parameters.

The Vizio has some banding issues. So far I only see it with a gray-scale calibration images and I've never seen banding while watching footage.

The LG has issues with clipping in the blacks and whites. After addressing the clipping as much as possible during calibration the resulting image had a noticeable reduction in contrast (blacks were less deep and whites less bright).

I'm a bit surprised by how much I'm noticing the size difference.

In the end I'll probably keep the Vizio.
post #10 of 15 Old 07-27-2015, 02:42 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, I will calibrate mine mid to end of next week. I’ve been running it on Cartoon Network with sound muted hours each day. I figure when it has ~ 100 hours It will be broken in & I will calibrate it.
post #11 of 15 Old 07-27-2015, 03:11 AM

Liked: 14
I have a 24 inch Vizio mounted in the kitchen over a counter. It is the most used TV in the house. It has been great since March 2013. I would highly recommend it. Good luck with your choice.
post #12 of 15 Old 07-28-2015, 12:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc53 View Post
I have a 24 inch Vizio mounted in the kitchen over a counter. It is the most used TV in the house. It has been great since March 2013. I would highly recommend it. Good luck with your choice.
Thanks, I just popped in a BD disc to test & the picture quality was surprising good (pre-calibration) for such a cheap HDTV. Of course I was sitting directly in front of it so viewing angle was not an issue.

BTW, how is your PQ when you stand & look down at your Vizio or approach it from an angle say 90 degrees? I found a dramatic difference in PQ, Very washed out looking if your head is not within a few degrees of right in front of it.

For example, my iMac has a 24” LCD screen & viewing angle is not an issue even if I try to stand up & look down or approach fron the side. Viewing angle issues are terrible with this Vizio.
I was able to raise it up higher so when standing its center is ~ chest high compared to ~waist high as it was b4. Helps a lot.
post #13 of 15 Old 07-28-2015, 06:53 AM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked: 338
It's too bad you couldn't use a 32", you really get a better selection and prices in the 32" size vs 22-29" in the 1080p monitors.
I have a somewhat older 1080p LG 28" that was hard to find and rather expensive(~ $400 at the time I believe) but am very happy with it. I also have a somewhat older 27" 1080p Samsung that I also like but again it was on the more expensive side(~$350 I believe). That said when I wanted a similar size for my media room PC ~ a year ago I was kind of stumped, either go smaller(24" or below) get a real cheap brand(Westinghouse 720p which looked like crap IMO) or step up to 32". In the end I ended up doing just that, I got a 32" mid level Vizio and I've been very happy. Of course if your space doesn't permit this I understand but my issue was more psychological, I just thought a 32" was too big for a desktop PC and to a first time viewer it does seem big but now I've gotten used to it and really like it.
I still like my 28" LG and 27" Samsung but personally I wouldn't get the Westinghouse, at least if your accustomed to other brands, maybe the Insignia, I seriously thought of one(I believe 28 or 29") before getting the 32" Vizio but I liked the Vizio picture better.

Good luck, I don't know why but name brand 1080p HDTVs in the 27-29" have always been rare. You can get a fair number of 720p TVs or some 1080p off brand models but the top shelf mfgs. have never really served that size, goes back since the beginning of HDTVs
post #14 of 15 Old 07-29-2015, 04:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
It's too bad you couldn't use a 32", you really get a better selection and prices in the 32" size vs 22-29" in the 1080p monitors....
Yes, my space would not have allowed any 32” TV. Probably a 28” but as long as was getting HDTV wanted 1080p, not 720p. I suppose as prices have dropped more people could afford larger sets. I am surprised that there aren’t more choices among top brands for people who want a 2nd or 3rd set & have a small space to fill. Some people have a set in the kitchen or bathroom, who has tons of space in those rooms?
post #15 of 15 Old 07-29-2015, 09:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdcrack View Post
Thanks, I just popped in a BD disc to test & the picture quality was surprising good (pre-calibration) for such a cheap HDTV...
I had the same experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdcrack View Post
BTW, how is your PQ when you stand & look down at your Vizio or approach it from an angle say 90 degrees? I found a dramatic difference in PQ, Very washed out looking if your head is not within a few degrees of right in front of it...
Again the same experience, with both the LG and Vizio. Poor off-axis viewing is just part of the deal with almost all the LED/LCD tv's this year, no matter what the size or price. (So glad I still have a panny plasma in the front room!)

Some computer monitors (probably including your Mac) use IPS technology in their panels, and they often have much better off-axis viewing. It can be extremely expensive to get IPS tech into larger panels, I'm guessing that's one of the reasons few (no?) TV's use the technology.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Vizio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page