Sony online store closing and all brick and mortar stores closed - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 34Likes

post #31 of 66 Old 08-05-2015, 09:54 AM

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3935 Post(s)
Liked: 2944
Quote:
Originally Posted by dudae View Post
The problem with Sony is Samsung Tv's are just as good and they sell for a lot less. For example, the lowest prices on Google for the Samsung 75JU7100 is $2679 and the equivalent Sony xbr 75850c is $3340. It doesn't take a genius to figure out why they are getting their buts kicked.
yup the ju7100 has local dimming and the 850C does not yet priced more . Sony needs to get there prices inline ..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 66 Old 08-05-2015, 09:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
The problem with Sony is Samsung Tv's are just as good and they sell for a lot less. For example, the lowest prices on Google for the Samsung 75JU7100 is $2679 and the equivalent Sony xbr 75850c is $3340. It doesn't take a genius to figure out why they are getting their buts kicked.
If you go by "Authorized Retailers" only then they are closer in price. Don't bother with those cheap unauthorized vendors.

Samsung 75JU7100 = $4,497.99
Sony 75X850C = $4,298.00

These prices are the UMRP prices you will find on vendors such as BB and Amazon

EDIT: I own a Samsung TV so this is not a Sony fanboy defense. I just object to misinformation being spread in general. The Sony is actually cheaper.
tubetwister likes this.
post #33 of 66 Old 08-05-2015, 01:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked: 517
Sony has closed stores in Canada, the US and now they are shutting down their online store? And this is not a reason to be concerned? What it tell's me is that the end is near for Sony's tv manufactureing buisness. Yes they have been losing money for years we all know that but its just another sign to me that Sony is going to pull the plug and take their electronic buisness else where put their efforts into other ventures such as Hospitals ect. In fact there was a report Sony is already getting into that field already. They sold off their pc division and cell phone division and I bet by the end of next year if not before they are going to pull the plug on the tv division and take their electronics expertise else where. Their tv's just dont make them money and if they indeed pull the plug on the division I wouldnt blame them really. If your losing money year after year why keep making tv's? Makes no sense. If they do pull out of the tv buisness I can say with pride I own one of their best tv's in my opinion and that is the 55W900A and its been one hell of a ride for this Sony fan.
tubetwister likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 66 Old 08-05-2015, 01:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 5631 Post(s)
Liked: 4047
I also believe that Sony will exit the tv market, if not this year, then in 2016. Sharp is exiting US and Canada, and if Sony does leave, there will only be 4 real players left here before the Chinese players get their foot in the door. Samsung, LG, Vizio and Panasonic will be the main players, and I'm not too sure Panasonic will be around in the near future.
steve1971 likes this.
post #35 of 66 Old 08-05-2015, 01:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
I also believe that Sony will exit the tv market, if not this year, then in 2016. Sharp is exiting US and Canada, and if Sony does leave, there will only be 4 real players left here before the Chinese players get their foot in the door. Samsung, LG, Vizio and Panasonic will be the main players, and I'm not too sure Panasonic will be around in the near future.

I agree wxman and I think after Sony goes so will Panasonic, thats if if they dont leave before Sony does. Makes me cringe really because if and when Sony does leave I wont have very many choices to choose from when I buy a new tv. Thats why I'm hoping my W9 lasts a long while. I dont trust LG or Vizio and Samsung Im on the fence about. To see Sony and the tv manufacturing buisness in the shape its in is sad, very very sad. But they have only themselves to blame.
wxman and tubetwister like this.
post #36 of 66 Old 08-05-2015, 02:38 PM

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crypter View Post
If you go by "Authorized Retailers" only then they are closer in price. Don't bother with those cheap unauthorized vendors.

Samsung 75JU7100 = $4,497.99
Sony 75X850C = $4,298.00

These prices are the UMRP prices you will find on vendors such as BB and Amazon

EDIT: I own a Samsung TV so this is not a Sony fanboy defense. I just object to misinformation being spread in general. The Sony is actually cheaper.
I was wondering how long it would take before a Authorized dealer troll would arrive to defend price fixing?
player002 likes this.
post #37 of 66 Old 08-05-2015, 04:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by blu-dog-avs View Post
That's quite a fantasy. I know you don't have anything to back it up - no one ever does - but it's amazing how myths just linger on.
I personally viewed two HD-DVD vs. BluRay demos where supposedly all the hardware was similar expect for disc player, and the BluRay players were using either component or HDMI and the HD-DVD players were using s-video or composite along with optical for sound.

You have to admit that HD-DVD was NOT inferior to BluRay (even though Michael Bay said so).
post #38 of 66 Old 08-05-2015, 04:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 2988 Post(s)
Liked: 2832
All Japanese TV brands are dying and the Chinese Brands will globally dominate the market.

everything is basically made or assembled in China so this was going to happen soon or later.

Samsung and LG are planning to sell only high end TV's ,Just the very expensive ones. they are not going to be able to compete the price of the low to mid end TV's against China. Samsung could be selling Oled's with LG.

Samsung, LG Focus on Marketing Premium TV Models

Vizio will stay, they always beat the well know brands on price.

Last edited by losservatore; 08-05-2015 at 05:09 PM.
post #39 of 66 Old 08-05-2015, 04:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1038 Post(s)
Liked: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuther
I have been stating the following in every thread about Sony's recent woes. A Sony CEO stated years ago the entire company is being bet on it's game console and strongly implied sacrificing the other divisions. I have several Sony products and this intentional lack of focus on it's non-game console products really irks me.
Never been much of a Sony fan, yet it's a little troubling for me to see them going down like this. Hopefully, they'll rebound somehow.

Last edited by rezzy; 08-05-2015 at 05:44 PM.
post #40 of 66 Old 08-05-2015, 05:22 PM

Location: The Outer Limits....Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1384 Post(s)
Liked: 623
Quote:
I was wondering how long it would take before a Authorized dealer troll would arrive to defend price fixing?

Why would anybody in thier right mind spend a few grand at a (more than likley bait and switch ) grey market unauthorized retailer or e- tailer?

Try to buy a tier one brand TV cheap like that and see what *really happens then * (and what about the return policys ?) not what you see on the web but what it is and get back to us

FWIW we know all about that already here
steve1971 likes this.

Last edited by tubetwister; 08-05-2015 at 05:31 PM.
post #41 of 66 Old 08-05-2015, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by losservatore View Post
All Japanese TV brands are dying and the Chinese Brands will globally dominate the market.

everything is basically made or assembled in China so this was going to happen soon or later.

Samsung and LG are planning to sell only high end TV's ,Just the very expensive ones. they are not going to be able to compete the price of the low to mid end TV's against China. Samsung could be selling Oled's with LG.

Samsung, LG Focus on Marketing Premium TV Models

Vizio will stay, they always beat the well know brands on price.
I think you got it figured as long as Sony doesent get sold then you never know what can happen with them
post #42 of 66 Old 08-05-2015, 05:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked: 510
In the long sweep of history, as experienced by our grandchildren, the technology of the USA will be viewed as a 20th century bridge between the technology of Europe (19th century) and Asia (21st century). With a brief detour (late 20th Century) through Japan.

I'm not talking about just consumer technology. SOA tech leads consumer technology by a generation, which will inexorably follow it.
post #43 of 66 Old 08-05-2015, 06:19 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGyver_SG1 View Post
I personally viewed two HD-DVD vs. BluRay demos where supposedly all the hardware was similar expect for disc player, and the BluRay players were using either component or HDMI and the HD-DVD players were using s-video or composite along with optical for sound.

You have to admit that HD-DVD was NOT inferior to BluRay (even though Michael Bay said so).

If you mean in video or audio performance, I don't know, but I'll take your word for it. Their biggest problem was capacity, from which lossless audio and a lot of other things sprout. It simply was inferior, as a marketable product, even if it equaled Blu-Ray in basic performance.

There is a very sad tendency to say that Sony spent hundreds of millions - some lunatics estimate in excess of a billion dollars - in payoffs for Blu-Ray. Not one of these people have ever presented a shred of evidence that this was done, though Toshiba publicly admitted this kind of desperation.

That was a sad period. It was so obvious....
post #44 of 66 Old 08-05-2015, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimeTime View Post
In the long sweep of history, as experienced by our grandchildren, the technology of the USA will be viewed as a 20th century bridge between the technology of Europe (19th century) and Asia (21st century). With a brief detour (late 20th Century) through Japan.

I'm not talking about just consumer technology. SOA tech leads consumer technology by a generation, which will inexorably follow it.
Right ..... geoplitics SOA /tecnology transfer and indigionous technology evolution (by hook or by crook these days ☻) .....dont forget the side trip to So. Korea recently . ofc that includes S.E. Asia so you got that covered anyway .

Maybe S.E. Asia will be the new first world (again) and USA and Euope will be the new third worlds like much of Africa is probabbly doomed to remain all along as they watch the M.E. crumble or nuke itself into glass if some one else doesent first .
steve1971 likes this.
post #45 of 66 Old 08-05-2015, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu-dog-avs View Post
If you mean in video or audio performance, I don't know, but I'll take your word for it. Their biggest problem was capacity, from which lossless audio and a lot of other things sprout. It simply was inferior, as a marketable product, even if it equaled Blu-Ray in basic performance.

There is a very sad tendency to say that Sony spent hundreds of millions - some lunatics estimate in excess of a billion dollars - in payoffs for Blu-Ray. Not one of these people have ever presented a shred of evidence that this was done, though Toshiba publicly admitted this kind of desperation.

That was a sad period. It was so obvious....
Right .....aside from currency fluctuations (weak Japanese Yen ) for a loooong time and (PRC and ROK ) competition Sony inc. intrangisent management has always been one of it's worst enemys .

Last edited by tubetwister; 08-05-2015 at 07:38 PM.
post #46 of 66 Old 08-06-2015, 07:52 AM

Quote:
I'm not defending price fixing at all, but let's face it some of those online resellers are pulling the old bait n switch tactics on customers and the reality is most people will buy their TV's from authorized sellers like BB or Amazon. Those are the prices we are faced with for comparisons sake. Using some of those shady online dealers as a means of saying Sony is more Expensive than Samsung is very disingenuous. That is all I was getting at, and like I said, I actually own a 65"JS8500 Samsung LED so this is not a fanboy thing and I am certainly not a troll.
fatuglyguy likes this.
post #47 of 66 Old 08-06-2015, 08:08 AM

Currency manipulation has had a lot to do with the movement of electronics to different countries. US to Japan to Korea to China.

However, the real guts of the electronics are still engineered in the USA or Japan. TV manufactures today are like computer manufactures. They buy the parts from suppliers and assemble the final product.

Not a lot of value added in doing that, and eventually the low cost producers win. Let's be honest the picture quality for all the manufactures is about the same so they are selling a commodity.
post #48 of 66 Old 08-06-2015, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crypter View Post
I'm not defending price fixing at all, but let's face it some of those online resellers are pulling the old bait n switch tactics on customers and the reality is most people will buy their TV's from authorized sellers like BB or Amazon. Those are the prices we are faced with for comparisons sake. Using some of those shady online dealers as a means of saying Sony is more Expensive than Samsung is very disingenuous. That is all I was getting at, and like I said, I actually own a 65"JS8500 Samsung LED so this is not a fanboy thing and I am certainly not a troll.
Some are shady but not all of them. Yes they will try to sell you an extended warranty of some other gimmick but so does Best Buy. Over the years, I have bought from the vendors that have been around a long time and saved thousands.
post #49 of 66 Old 08-06-2015, 09:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Well if Sony stops making TVs they can always license their image processing or sell the X1x chips. It really doesn't matter in the end. If all we have left are ****ty TVs then that's the price point the market supports, you can't fight the larger trend in people's perceived price/values.
tubetwister likes this.

OLED65C9PUA, NVIDIA SHIELD TV Pro, BDI 8179
post #50 of 66 Old 08-06-2015, 09:38 AM
tdx

Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 56
I'm not so sure about the b&m stores closing. Just went to their flagship store in NYC (Madison Av) and they're alive and well...
post #51 of 66 Old 08-06-2015, 11:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iatacs19 View Post
Well if Sony stops making TVs they can always license their image processing or sell the X1x chips. It really doesn't matter in the end. If all we have left are ****ty TVs then that's the price point the market supports, you can't fight the larger trend in people's perceived price/values.
If Sony stops making tv's and my 55W900A burns itself out then I'm screwed! Because simply put I dont trust any other brand out there. But it is what it is and years down the road I aint going to have any other choice except not to watch tv and that aint going happen. My whole HT system is pretty much all Sony except for my rear surround speakers which are Pioneer. Anything I have bought with the Sony name has all been top notch quality. From cd players, clocks you name it all have worked great and lasted a long time and thats why I trust them so much and believe it or not I have never had an issue with their customer service never. If I have had an issue they have went out of their way to solve the problem. I hope some how some way they can pull a rabbit out of the hat and stay in the electronic HT field but honestly from what I'm hearing, being told and reading it dont look good at all. I said all along that dumb ass buisness decisions from the top down were going to bite them in the ass and it looks as though thats going to happen.
post #52 of 66 Old 08-06-2015, 03:03 PM

Quote:
iatacs19
Sony stops making tv's and my 55W900A burns itself out then I'm screwed! Because simply put I dont trust any other brand out there.
I've been a long time Sony customer since early 1990's and the one problem I had was an AVR that fried after about 4.5 yrs OTOH three Trinitrions a 27" black one and a 32" Wega and an 36" XBR HDTV Wega were working fine at 12 and 14 yrs when I gave them away .

I have a 2013 50" Sony LED/LCD in the home office here that plays or multi tasks all day before sunrise and well into the night 7 days a week it works fine and has a good picture........the best one I could find in an LCD at 40- 50" then that still holds up today outside of WCG HDR so I didn't mind paying the usual Sony tax I wasnt about to get anthing less they had a Samsung and Panosonic that were in the same ball park within hair splitting decent none of the others incuding Vizio could come anywhere close . .

FWIW I'm not one wanting to see Sony go away or get sold .

Last edited by tubetwister; 08-06-2015 at 03:21 PM.
post #53 of 66 Old 08-06-2015, 03:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 298 Post(s)
Quoted: 4131 Post(s)
Liked: 5279
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdx View Post
I'm not so sure about the b&m stores closing. Just went to their flagship store in NYC (Madison Av) and they're alive and well...
From Sony Website:

22. Where are Sony stores?
All Sony Stores have been closed, except our showroom on 550 Madison Ave. in New York City. We apologize for the inconvenience, and ask you visit one of our Sony Authorized Dealers to purchase our great products.

https://store.sony.com/-cms-page.sony.faqs

Enrico Castagnetti @ Rythmik Audio - Dialing In Rythmik Audio Subwoofers - REW for macOS
Media Room: Sierra Towers w/RAAL, Horizon w/RAAL, Sierra 2s & Lunas | Rythmik F12SE(x2) + FV25HP | Denon X6500H | Panny 820 + ATV 4K | Bluesound Node 2 | Sony 77A9G OLED |
Desktop: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII | Rythmik L22 | Apogee Quartet | 27" iMac| Bedroom: B&W 685 S2 | Rythmik LVX12 | Marantz SR6013 | Sony X700 + ATV 4K | Sony XBR-65Z9D |
post #54 of 66 Old 08-06-2015, 04:01 PM
tdx

Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by enricoclaudio View Post
From Sony Website:

22. Where are Sony stores?
All Sony Stores have been closed, except our showroom on 550 Madison Ave. in New York City. We apologize for the inconvenience, and ask you visit one of our Sony Authorized Dealers to purchase our great products.

https://store.sony.com/-cms-page.sony.faqs
I see, thanks.
post #55 of 66 Old 08-06-2015, 05:32 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked: 918
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdx View Post
Sony used to have a lot of stores but over the past few years they've been closing all their stores across the country with the exception of two (New York and So Calif), and rumors here were that they were going to be closing their So Calif store (they may have already closed it, dunno).

Randy
Sony XBR-55X900E, Panasonic TC-P55ST60, TiVo Roamio Pro, TWC Arris DCX3600-M 6-Tuner DVR, Darbee DVP-5000S, Onkyo TX-SR333 AVR, URC MX-890 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - https://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #56 of 66 Old 08-06-2015, 06:50 PM

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 3935 Post(s)
Liked: 2944
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post
Sony used to have a lot of stores but over the past few years they've been closing all their stores across the country with the exception of two (New York and So Calif), and rumors here were that they were going to be closing their So Calif store (they may have already closed it, dunno).

post #57 of 66 Old 08-06-2015, 06:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 5631 Post(s)
Liked: 4047
Tried to register my tv on the Sony site today. You can fill out the form, but it will not accept it when you hit enter. Last week you could sign up a new account. Not anymore.
post #58 of 66 Old 08-07-2015, 07:51 AM

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
Tried to register my tv on the Sony site today. You can fill out the form, but it will not accept it when you hit enter. Last week you could sign up a new account. Not anymore.
I have a support case established 6 days ago with Sony that has not been resolved. All of my emails go unanswered and telephone support cannot supply any more information on the case since it is now in their support/repair department. This is not the Sony of past, something is surely happening.

Update: Sony finally got back to me, sent me a new refurbished TV which is working fine. I sent the broken one back using a prepaid shipping label. It took about 2 weeks from the first call to get the replacement TV to my home.

Last edited by bob_m10; 08-22-2015 at 05:35 PM.
post #59 of 66 Old 08-07-2015, 08:07 AM

That sucks for anyone who just bought or will buy a Sony product. If they let their customer service degrade there will be a lot of upset customers out there. I Am guessing they still have to honor warranty claims.
post #60 of 66 Old 08-07-2015, 10:21 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 7159 Post(s)
Liked: 7198
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalto View Post
I am not sure that the closing of their web store signals their imminent demise. This isn't really panic worthy.
The Web store is the cheapest to run, very surprised that was closed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page