"Official" 2015 Sony XBR-75X850C - Ultra HD 4K LED 3D HDTV Owners Thread - Page 22 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 213Likes

post #631 of 1128 Old 01-05-2016, 11:12 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I've had the 75 set for almost a month and really dig it when good quality content is displayed. Watched the original Alien on BD and it looked amazing. I'm not too big on sports, but am now the go-to for the big game with a TV this size. Unfortunately I don't think football looks very good at all for any shots that are not closeup. I foresee me having to explain to others why this set is great, but doesn't look so great on sports. I don't mind having to setup two different picture settings if need be. I'm currently using rtings settings recommendation (I really don't like any motion effects that give the soap opera look, so that's all been turned off) and am happy with that for BD movies. Is there a specific settings recommendation for sports? If so, can it be assigned to the "football" button. The current settings for that button is a joke and looks horrible (ie. Torch mode).

Also...everything is going thru my Yamaha 7790 receiver (4k 2.2 compliant) with a single HDMI going to the 850c. The TV audio is setup for an audio system. Question is, if I want to watch some 4k content thru the TV app, how can I get audio thru the receiver? I have no desire to use the TV speakers. I imagine I'll need an audio out cable from the TV or is there additional functionality with the same HDMI cable?

Thanks in advance. There's a ton of information in this thread!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 1128 Old 01-05-2016, 11:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by beagan View Post
I've had the 75 set for almost a month and really dig it when good quality content is displayed. Watched the original Alien on BD and it looked amazing. I'm not too big on sports, but am now the go-to for the big game with a TV this size. Unfortunately I don't think football looks very good at all for any shots that are not closeup. I foresee me having to explain to others why this set is great, but doesn't look so great on sports. I don't mind having to setup two different picture settings if need be. I'm currently using rtings settings recommendation (I really don't like any motion effects that give the soap opera look, so that's all been turned off) and am happy with that for BD movies. Is there a specific settings recommendation for sports? If so, can it be assigned to the "football" button. The current settings for that button is a joke and looks horrible (ie. Torch mode).

Also...everything is going thru my Yamaha 7790 receiver (4k 2.2 compliant) with a single HDMI going to the 850c. The TV audio is setup for an audio system. Question is, if I want to watch some 4k content thru the TV app, how can I get audio thru the receiver? I have no desire to use the TV speakers. I imagine I'll need an audio out cable from the TV or is there additional functionality with the same HDMI cable?

See the FAQ in my Sig for info on audio settings and connections to output audio from TV to your receiver..

You can do optical out from TV to receiver, or ARC via HDMI from HDMI 4 on the TV to your receiver.

X850C FAQ links for mobile users: Dropbox: 2015 Sony X850C FAQ - Recommended Picture settings, 3D FAQ, HDR FAQ, DirecTV 4K Ready FAQ, troubleshooting & common problems. || Google Docs X850C FAQ Link

2015 Sony X850C FAQ: Recommended Picture settings, 3D FAQ, HDR FAQ, DirecTV 4K Ready FAQ, Troubleshooting & common problems; Dropbox Link || Alternate Google Drive FAQ Link. || My gear: TV - Sony XBR75X850C, BD - Sony BDP S350, AVR - Pioneer VSX-1020, Speakers - RBH MC-616C MKII Center Channel, RBH MC-6C MKII Bookshelf (fronts), RBH MC-615 In-ceiling surrounds, RBH TS-10AP 200W self-powered sub.
post #633 of 1128 Old 01-05-2016, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danabw View Post
See the FAQ in my Sig for info on audio settings and connections to output audio from TV to your receiver..

You can do optical out from TV to receiver, or ARC via HDMI from HDMI 4 on the TV to your receiver.

X850C FAQ links for mobile users: Dropbox: 2015 Sony X850C FAQ - Recommended Picture settings, 3D FAQ, HDR FAQ, DirecTV 4K Ready FAQ, troubleshooting & common problems. || Google Docs X850C FAQ Link
Thanks for the quick reply. I do remember reading something about that in your FAQ a while back. I'm using HDMI 4 already, so maybe that's the key.

Really looking for guidance on preferred settings for sports. There must be some setup that's specifically good for that content, as plenty of people on this thread have glowing comments about football on this screen. I just don't share that view currently.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #634 of 1128 Old 01-06-2016, 08:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I got mine in mid december and also notice banding on grey screens and some other solid screens. It's not as obvious when I am watching movies or tv though. I only notice it on occasional pans of the camera with light colors. I also have a bit of light leakage on the top and bottom but it's like a pinch (like the screen or screw was to tight but loosening does nothing).

I was a big Kuro fan back in the day and dealt with DSE a bit during that time. So honestly I am used to seeing some grain/dirt when panning during movies. My last tv was a Sharp Elite. I actually had 3 different versions (two 60" and a 70" at one time) and they all had some banding issues. All three also had that strange pinch with the light leakage in a few spots. I remember when the Sharp would turn on you would see all these issue but once local dimming kicked in, it would be completely black. Still at times though, I could still pick out the spots that had the issues during transition scenes or watching it in a completely dark room. I held on to the sharp until recently because for me it was as close to the Kuro as I could get.

I guess what I am getting around to saying is I understand everyone's concern and I know it's annoying spending all this money and having issues. I got the Sharp elite's for a fairly good price at the time but I could understand being mad paying retail and having those issues.

I will say the Sony has better uniformity than any of my Sharp Elite's did. I wish it had local dimming like the Elite because honestly that can make a panel with clouds, light leakage, etc. look amazing. I am trying not to nitpick the set and just enjoy it. I wish I could have been one of the members that got a banding free set or maybe not have any issues but I don't want to do the constant returns. I know mine is either October or November build date wise. I have a few friends that also bought this set in the last 3 months and all of them has some sort of banding/light leakage. One of my friends has done 4 returns now from various stores with various build dates and all of them had banding of some kind (in fact the last two were worse and had other issues cloud wise). I would say if it bothers you that much (and I agree it's annoying honestly), then maybe try another model. I'm not saying you won't get a banding free set, but it seems like it's pretty random.
post #635 of 1128 Old 01-06-2016, 09:03 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:

Beagan,

I think this set just rocks with Sports! Once you get the settings to your liking I think you will like sports as well! Close up shots I'd swear you can almost smell the sweat! Also shots into the stands look almost 3D as you can plainly see individuals with their crazy outfits behind the players... I have zero banding and leakage issues, but I also have dedicated circuits with nice power conditioners to filter the power. I watch Football, Basketball, Golf, Tennis and MotoGP Motorcycle racing and I have no complaints on the PQ. But I also think that proper setup can improve the picture too. I too thought "football" mode looked like hell (torch mode) but you can adjust that setting to your preferences as well. Don't give up finding a great setting I think your time will be worth it!!!

Cheers!

Larry

PS...Gerry..... how's your set doing? Mine is still rocking!!! I did have one weird issue playing with my iPhone one time, shut off the Sony???
I hope your set is still cooking as well. Amazed to read about Sony's new 2016 line up already...they already have a X850D announced....Happy New Year!

Sony XBR75X940D | Marantz AV8801 | SunFire Cinema Grand 5-Chan. | 5.2 system w/ 5 Monitor Audio Gold 2 Velodyne HGS 12's | Oppo BDP 105 | MAC Mini for Streaming, View on the XBR | Harmony Ultimate Remote | DDRC-88A| Comcast Internet 90Mb's | 2 Dedicated 20 AMP circuits. | Apple TV4 | Cans: Sennheiser HD 650 + Sennheiser HD 800S | Oppo HA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, Fed with my Schiit Yggdrasil DAC |

Last edited by LarryMagoo; 01-06-2016 at 09:04 AM. Reason: Spelling
post #636 of 1128 Old 01-06-2016, 11:04 AM

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by YOTR View Post
One of my friends has done 4 returns now from various stores with various build dates and all of them had banding of some kind (in fact the last two were worse and had other issues cloud wise). I would say if it bothers you that much (and I agree it's annoying honestly), then maybe try another model. I'm not saying you won't get a banding free set, but it seems like it's pretty random.
I agree with you on this that finding a perfect screen if you are looking for "any" defect at all is almost impossible. This banding issue from my angle is unacceptable due to it being most evident in 3D since I watch normal tv and content in vivid picture mode and like you no annoying issue is really evident.
I now own about 20 3d blu rays and 7 pairs of 3d glasses. The banding photos I uploaded in earlier posts is too much in my opinion and draws you of the movie when you see them.
I was thinking of going to another set, but which one? I spent weeks looking at the LG, Samsung and Vizio's. Some don't have youtube 4k, a 75 inch version or even 3D anymore. The price also went up from black friday prices so returning and rebuying another set will raise the price by at least a few hundred.
post #637 of 1128 Old 01-06-2016, 11:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 946 Post(s)
Liked: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryMagoo View Post
Beagan,

PS...Gerry..... how's your set doing? Mine is still rocking!!! I did have one weird issue playing with my iPhone one time, shut off the Sony???
I hope your set is still cooking as well. Amazed to read about Sony's new 2016 line up already...they already have a X850D announced....Happy New Year!
Larry, thanks for asking! 2 months yesterday since repair- so far no problems . Not that I sometimes don't think about it but I guess that will hopefully go away with time. Glad to hear that your replacement is still perking along without issues.. Not believing the amount of problems of late that I am seeing about banding on the 75.. I'm glad we got an early run set!!!
Best wishes, Gerry
post #638 of 1128 Old 01-06-2016, 12:00 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Replacement 910C

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0e1 View Post
I'm with you. This is the most I've ever spent on a TV and I refuse to accept "this is just what happens with TV's this large" as an explanation which I've seen numerous times on here. I just hope the 910C I receive as a replacement works out well for me without light bleed. The fact that I even have to worry about light bleed on a $5000 TV is absurd to me but what are my other options? This set was by far the cheapest for a 75" with HDR capability (as limited as it might be from not having FALD) and the wide color reproduction which to me were both essential for 'future proofing.'

I suspect many of us prioritized the same things when selected the 850C and the 910C is supposedly what they are sending to me as well. I know it is at a much higher price point, but I think that is primarily due to the form factor which was not a big benefit to me. Lets hope higher quality is included as well. I am not excited that it is bottom edge lit as it is for a room with a lot of ambient light and direct/back lit typically looks better in that space. I also have not heard a lot about them - supposedly they have fixed the light bleed issues from the 900Cs, but I will believe that when I see it. Sony seems to be doing the right thing which is encouraging. Best of luck and keep us posted...
post #639 of 1128 Old 01-06-2016, 02:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by cchen326 View Post
I agree with you on this that finding a perfect screen if you are looking for "any" defect at all is almost impossible. This banding issue from my angle is unacceptable due to it being most evident in 3D since I watch normal tv and content in vivid picture mode and like you no annoying issue is really evident.
I now own about 20 3d blu rays and 7 pairs of 3d glasses. The banding photos I uploaded in earlier posts is too much in my opinion and draws you of the movie when you see them.
I was thinking of going to another set, but which one? I spent weeks looking at the LG, Samsung and Vizio's. Some don't have youtube 4k, a 75 inch version or even 3D anymore. The price also went up from black friday prices so returning and rebuying another set will raise the price by at least a few hundred.

I don't watch 3D but I can understand why that would be a big issue if I did. It took me a long time to finally retire the Sharp Elite. Even then I have given in to a few compromises but the sony is 15 inches bigger which helps. I had banding on my Sharp Elites and it was annoying. I remember being really mad when I discovered light leakage/clouds because I thought those sets where bullet proof from that (considering their cost and hand selected panels). Turns out though it didn't matter what the cost was.

You could always try another sony or another brand. One thing I will say though is this model uniformity wise is really good. I have grown used to seeing clouds, really bad flashlighting and edge bleeding with other brands (and that's their high end models). Yes I have a bit of light bleed in a couple of areas but I'm trying not to focus on it. I have seen my friends sets and the fact is almost all of them look exactly like mine with maybe the banding being a little less or more noticeable along with light bleeding. After seeing my friend go through a few returns, I just decided to stop and enjoy the set.

Anyway I know it's a lot of money and you should expect a certain level of perfection but I have a feeling that the banding is going to be present no matter what. I have seen banding on a few other competing Samsung and LG models also. I personally haven't seen a 75xbr850c without banding but I am a late adopter compared to people in this thread that got it when it came out.

Honestly the only sets I have ever owned (and I had many of them) that were virtually perfect with no defects (except a little DSE on one model) was the Kuro line.
post #640 of 1128 Old 01-06-2016, 08:42 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Exchanges

I've got a replacement x850c coming this Monday afternoon 1/11. Magnolia says their delivery guy will turn it on and see if there are any obvious problems, but 1) he won't be able to tell if I have the same crashing problem, and 2) as somebody else pointed out, what any banding is more of a night time problem (I don't have any shades in the room right now, and what if when I start to work with it it still proves to be buggy?

Technically, the return period for Magnolia ends 1/15. I don't know that this exchange process restarts the clock at all.

Should I be calling Sony directly and asking for a 910C? How does their replacement work? Do they pick it up and deliver a new one for free? Should I be trying them first? If this happens a second time?

I bought a SquareTrade warrantee too, although I have yet to register any set. Where should they fit into this? If I don't discover a defect until I'm post return periods, will Sony or SquareTrade replace it?
post #641 of 1128 Old 01-06-2016, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the quick reply. I do remember reading something about that in your FAQ a while back. I'm using HDMI 4 already, so maybe that's the key.

Really looking for guidance on preferred settings for sports. There must be some setup that's specifically good for that content, as plenty of people on this thread have glowing comments about football on this screen. I just don't share that view currently.
Ugh...just can't get ARC to work. There's no audio coming thru. I'm definitely using HDMI4/ARC. As well, I'm not sure why, but I cannot view any of the FAQ on my iPad, forcing me to go back and forth to my office to check the notes/guidance on my PC. I'd love to bring it up on the iPad and follow everything in the same room. Am I just having a horrible night with bad luck or is that not possible on a tablet?

Last edited by beagan; 01-06-2016 at 11:52 PM.
post #642 of 1128 Old 01-06-2016, 11:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Ugh...just can't get ARC to work. There's no audio coming thru. I'm definitely using HDMI4/ARC. As well, I'm not sure why, but I cannot view any of the FAQ on my iPad, forcing me to go back and forth to my office to check the notes/guidance on my PC. I'd love to bring it up on the iPad and follow everything in the same room. Am I just having a horrible night with back luck or is that not possible on a tablet?
The FAQ is an Excel spreadsheet, does the iPad include an app or option to read excel files? Haven't heard anyone raise this issue before.

I don't use ARC, so can't help much there, beyond what's in the FAQ.

2015 Sony X850C FAQ: Recommended Picture settings, 3D FAQ, HDR FAQ, DirecTV 4K Ready FAQ, Troubleshooting & common problems; Dropbox Link || Alternate Google Drive FAQ Link. || My gear: TV - Sony XBR75X850C, BD - Sony BDP S350, AVR - Pioneer VSX-1020, Speakers - RBH MC-616C MKII Center Channel, RBH MC-6C MKII Bookshelf (fronts), RBH MC-615 In-ceiling surrounds, RBH TS-10AP 200W self-powered sub.

Last edited by Danabw; 01-06-2016 at 11:49 PM.
post #643 of 1128 Old 01-06-2016, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryMagoo View Post
Beagan,

I think this set just rocks with Sports! Once you get the settings to your liking I think you will like sports as well! Close up shots I'd swear you can almost smell the sweat! Also shots into the stands look almost 3D as you can plainly see individuals with their crazy outfits behind the players... I have zero banding and leakage issues, but I also have dedicated circuits with nice power conditioners to filter the power. I watch Football, Basketball, Golf, Tennis and MotoGP Motorcycle racing and I have no complaints on the PQ. But I also think that proper setup can improve the picture too. I too thought "football" mode looked like hell (torch mode) but you can adjust that setting to your preferences as well. Don't give up finding a great setting I think your time will be worth it!!!

Cheers!

Larry
Hi Larry. Thanks for getting me motivated to tinker with the settings tonight. Unfortunately, I didn't have anything near good quality. I admit that the close-up shots with minimal movement look great. However, as soon as you see the whole field and play carried out, there's so much noise and blotchyness (such as the grass on the field as the camera is panning/keeping up with the player) that I can't believe others are seeing the same thing and think its a rocking picture. I used the recommended "Football Mode" settings in the FAQ (though my model doesn't have that mode....I'm assuming "Sports Mode" is the one I should be using). Can you please share the settings you're using that look amazing for sports?

Also in the FAQ, when some cells for the settings are blank, does that mean "off"? Example of a blank cell is under MOTION>Cinemotion for "Football Mode".
post #644 of 1128 Old 01-06-2016, 11:54 PM

Quote:
The FAQ is an Excel spreadsheet, does the iPad include an app or option to read excel files? Haven't heard anyone raise this issue before.

I don't use ARC, so can't help much there, beyond what's in the FAQ.

No, I don't have an app that will display it on the iPad (not that there may be something out there I can purchase). I ended up firing up my work laptop....yet, I made no progress on anything tonight. I'll try again tomorrow. Thanks!
post #645 of 1128 Old 01-07-2016, 12:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hi Larry. Thanks for getting me motivated to tinker with the settings tonight. Unfortunately, I didn't have anything near good quality. I admit that the close-up shots with minimal movement look great. However, as soon as you see the whole field and play carried out, there's so much noise and blotchyness (such as the grass on the field as the camera is panning/keeping up with the player) that I can't believe others are seeing the same thing and think its a rocking picture. I used the recommended "Football Mode" settings in the FAQ (though my model doesn't have that mode....I'm assuming "Sports Mode" is the one I should be using). Can you please share the settings you're using that look amazing for sports?

Also in the FAQ, when some cells for the settings are blank, does that mean "off"? Example of a blank cell is under MOTION>Cinemotion for "Football Mode".
Could be GIGO. If you have a poor signal, the picture's going to suffer. Sports look great on my TV, no issues. Time Warner cable.

Blank means leave it at default settings for that option.

Quote:
No, I don't have an app that will display it on the iPad (not that there may be something out there I can purchase). I ended up firing up my work laptop....yet, I made no progress on anything tonight. I'll try again tomorrow. Thanks!
OK, glad you found a way to view it in the same room. Good luck.

post #646 of 1128 Old 01-07-2016, 05:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Can you download and install "OpenOffice"? I don't have Excel and use OpenOffice to open anything that is in Excel

Sony XBR-75X850C - Living Room
Samsung UN60J6300AFXZA - Bedroom
post #647 of 1128 Old 01-07-2016, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgathright View Post
Can you download and install "OpenOffice"? I don't have Excel and use OpenOffice to open anything that is in Excel
Thanks for the recommendation. I'll give that a try after work tonight.

Quote:
Could be GIGO. If you have a poor signal, the picture's going to suffer. Sports look great on my TV, no issues. Time Warner cable.

Blank means leave it at default settings for that option.
I'm thinking GIGO too perhaps. My source is a Dish Network Hopper box.
Hmmm...if blank is default, then I have no idea what that is, as I've already changed it while trying so many other settings. Oddly, there's quite a few recommended settings at default, yet they are not blank in the spreadsheet (color=50, black=50).
post #648 of 1128 Old 01-07-2016, 08:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for the recommendation. I'll give that a try after work tonight.

I'm thinking GIGO too perhaps. My source is a Dish Network Hopper box.
Hmmm...if blank is default, then I have no idea what that is, as I've already changed it while trying so many other settings. Oddly, there's quite a few recommended settings at default, yet they are not blank in the spreadsheet (color=50, black=50).
It depends, actually, in how each person or web site shared their settings...Some only shared those they changed, some shared them all, changed or not, some did a little of both.

But the general rule is that if a setting is blank, none was provided, and it is assumed to be default.

You can follow the links to the original posts to see the exact info each provided.

You can use the instructions in the FAQ to reset settings for an app/input's picture mode so you can confirm defaults, and then re-enter your changes.

Last edited by Danabw; 01-07-2016 at 01:29 PM.
post #649 of 1128 Old 01-07-2016, 03:12 PM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quick question about ARC on this unit.. I read the FAQ and I understand that the TV only outputs the audio on HDMI 4.. But my question is does this mean that my main video feed TO the TV from my receiver HAS TO be coming out the output labeled ARC on my receiver to the HDMI 4 on the TV, or should I just use one of the other non-ARC HDMI outputs on my AVR for my main video feed to let's say HDMI 1 on the TV and then run a second HDMI cable from HDMI 4 to the output labeled ARC on the receiver?

I have 3 HDMI outputs on the receiver, one of which is ARC.. I am going to have two HDMI cables running to the TV anyway but I just don't want to have to rewire anything after I mount it on Saturday because it will be a pain to get behind it once it's on the wall..

Also, do any of you use any USB extension cables in wall so that you have rack access to the TV USB port for alternative content file playback? Active or inactive extension cables? It's going to be hard to get behind the TV like I said so I want to run whatever cables I have to all at once and don't want to take down the TV again..

Thanks for the input!

Last edited by 9V7W3; 01-07-2016 at 03:37 PM.
post #650 of 1128 Old 01-07-2016, 03:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1536 Post(s)
Liked: 1593
IR Blaster

Anyone know of an IR blaster that will work with this tv and remote? I've either lost mine or threw it away with the box...🙁
post #651 of 1128 Old 01-07-2016, 04:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
So being a purchaser of this amazing televison for roughly a month now, would anyone be able to shed some light on what the 2016 UHD Premium & HDR standards mean for us with this television?

Does this mean our models are now defunct when the new standard comes into play?
post #652 of 1128 Old 01-07-2016, 05:43 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 845 Post(s)
Liked: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9V7W3 View Post
Quick question about ARC on this unit.. I read the FAQ and I understand that the TV only outputs the audio on HDMI 4.. But my question is does this mean that my main video feed TO the TV from my receiver HAS TO be coming out the output labeled ARC on my receiver to the HDMI 4 on the TV, or should I just use one of the other non-ARC HDMI outputs on my AVR for my main video feed to let's say HDMI 1 on the TV and then run a second HDMI cable from HDMI 4 to the output labeled ARC on the receiver?

I have 3 HDMI outputs on the receiver, one of which is ARC.. I am going to have two HDMI cables running to the TV anyway but I just don't want to have to rewire anything after I mount it on Saturday because it will be a pain to get behind it once it's on the wall..

Also, do any of you use any USB extension cables in wall so that you have rack access to the TV USB port for alternative content file playback? Active or inactive extension cables? It's going to be hard to get behind the TV like I said so I want to run whatever cables I have to all at once and don't want to take down the TV again..

Thanks for the input!

Connect ARC to ARC and check Dana's FAQ for more info (linked in his sig in any of his posts).

SONY 75X850C | YAMAHA RX-A2050 | 5 DAYTON AUDIO APA150 | KLIPSCH RP 5.2.4
post #653 of 1128 Old 01-07-2016, 06:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Loo View Post
So being a purchaser of this amazing televison for roughly a month now, would anyone be able to shed some light on what the 2016 UHD Premium & HDR standards mean for us with this television?

Does this mean our models are now defunct when the new standard comes into play?
Nope - our sets are "HDR Compatible" (which is like we speak pretty good French, but aren't completely fluent).

See the HDR FAQ tab of the X850C FAQ in my sig, it explains it all and has links to HDR content you can download to try, etc.
Ian Loo likes this.

Last edited by Danabw; 01-07-2016 at 06:23 PM.
post #654 of 1128 Old 01-07-2016, 06:32 PM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by virtualrain View Post
Connect ARC to ARC and check Dana's FAQ for more info (linked in his sig in any of his posts).
I read his spreadsheet, and that's what I was referring to.. I know that connection has to be made but im saying does everyone only use that one HDMI cable and make HDMI 4 their main input they use on the TV? I had read a few things and even saw mentioned in Dana's FAQ about double volume bars and some other issues and was just wondering if when I'm not using the TV as the playback source would I still have any of these issues? Do all of you that use it just leave it enabled all the time on the TV and AVR? I have a Denon X4200W and im not exactly sure how it works as far as selecting it as an audio source that's all. I've never used it before and want it to be easy enough for my wife to switch between let's say watching an Atmos Bluray to a YouTube or 4K Netflix clip from the TV when I'm not home haha.
post #655 of 1128 Old 01-07-2016, 10:41 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 845 Post(s)
Liked: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9V7W3 View Post
I read his spreadsheet, and that's what I was referring to.. I know that connection has to be made but im saying does everyone only use that one HDMI cable and make HDMI 4 their main input they use on the TV? I had read a few things and even saw mentioned in Dana's FAQ about double volume bars and some other issues and was just wondering if when I'm not using the TV as the playback source would I still have any of these issues? Do all of you that use it just leave it enabled all the time on the TV and AVR? I have a Denon X4200W and im not exactly sure how it works as far as selecting it as an audio source that's all. I've never used it before and want it to be easy enough for my wife to switch between let's say watching an Atmos Bluray to a YouTube or 4K Netflix clip from the TV when I'm not home haha.

It really depends on how you want to setup your system. Most people want to switch everything on the AVR so use ARC to ARC... All inputs to the TV go over that cable as well as the Audio Return Channel from the TV to the AVR. However, the audio on this TV has a mind of its own... So all I can suggest is to get a good divorce lawyer lined up now.
Danabw and LarryMagoo like this.

SONY 75X850C | YAMAHA RX-A2050 | 5 DAYTON AUDIO APA150 | KLIPSCH RP 5.2.4
post #656 of 1128 Old 01-08-2016, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgathright View Post
Nothing came up in the app store for OpenOffice. However, there was a free MS Excel app and it works fine for this. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!
Danabw likes this.
post #657 of 1128 Old 01-08-2016, 09:33 AM

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:

Beagan,

Thanks for the kind words....I use Andy Sullivan's settings from Dana's Forum Signature....That lad knows his stuff!!! Could never use that "Football" setting until I started using his settings. I am so impressed with PQ every time I light up this set. I also think that Cable SUCKS! That's why I use DirecTV...I think they provide the most noise free signal available short of Blu-Ray. When I watch that 4K nature clip on some Jungle/animals theme on YouTube, it really blows me away.

I have a Mini MAC hooked up through my Oppo 105 that is hooked up to the Sony (Hence the YouTube view)....When DirectV starts sending out 4K video later this year, I will be looking to see how it may improve Sports...can't wait!!

Cheers!
Larry

Sony XBR75X940D | Marantz AV8801 | SunFire Cinema Grand 5-Chan. | 5.2 system w/ 5 Monitor Audio Gold 2 Velodyne HGS 12's | Oppo BDP 105 | MAC Mini for Streaming, View on the XBR | Harmony Ultimate Remote | DDRC-88A| Comcast Internet 90Mb's | 2 Dedicated 20 AMP circuits. | Apple TV4 | Cans: Sennheiser HD 650 + Sennheiser HD 800S | Oppo HA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, Fed with my Schiit Yggdrasil DAC |
post #658 of 1128 Old 01-08-2016, 02:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 965 Post(s)
Liked: 450
I don't know if you've tried my settings but you might give them a shot. One thing to keep in mind is that we are always at the mercy of the broadcast signal. All providers compress their signal. Some are compressed at more than one site. Prime time hours also are more compressed. ESPN and ABC broadcast at 720p while NBC and CBS broadcast at 1080i. Some feel that 1080i is better but I really don't know. One of the biggest inherited problems with LCD technology is motion blur. Even the most expensive FALD LCD's suffer this to some extent. Until OLED becomes affordable the current state of LCD will continue to rule the roost. Perhaps broadcast 4K will help but the major studios have little incentive to make that financial investment. The vast vast majority are quite content with what they have.
post #659 of 1128 Old 01-08-2016, 03:38 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 7
full 1080p for 3d or only half in each eye?

On consumer reports they say the XBR-55X850C it "has Full 1080p resolution to each eye in 3D mode"; but then on their XBR-65X850C review, they say "Image resolution in 3D mode is half 1080p HD" so is this an error in their reporting or do the two tvs really have that difference?

I am interested in the XBR-75X850C but 3D is the most important thing to me, so I really want to know if this has full 1080p resolution to each eye in 3d mode or not?

anyone who knows?

much appreciated for any help at all.
post #660 of 1128 Old 01-08-2016, 04:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Cooper View Post
On consumer reports they say the XBR-55X850C it "has Full 1080p resolution to each eye in 3D mode"; but then on their XBR-65X850C review, they say "Image resolution in 3D mode is half 1080p HD" so is this an error in their reporting or do the two tvs really have that difference?

I am interested in the XBR-75X850C but 3D is the most important thing to me, so I really want to know if this has full 1080p resolution to each eye in 3d mode or not?

anyone who knows?

much appreciated for any help at all.
We were recently discussing 3D resolution.. @aaronwt offered the following, which is in the 3D FAQ tab in the X850C FAQ in my sig, below:

"According to the manual, the highest resolution the X850C can handle for 3D side/side and top/bottom is 1080P60.

There is no official 4K 3D format like the existing 1080P frame packed 3D from a BD which is the best quality 2K 3D.

Sony can handle 3D with each image at 1920x1080 at up to 30P"

If you haven't yet, check out the X850C FAQ in my sig, to learn more about your potential new TV.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page