"Official" 2015 Sony XBR-75X850C - Ultra HD 4K LED 3D HDTV Owners Thread - Page 23 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 213Likes

post #661 of 1128 Old 01-08-2016, 07:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danabw View Post
We were recently discussing 3D resolution.. @aaronwt offered the following, which is in the 3D FAQ tab in the X850C FAQ in my sig, below:

"According to the manual, the highest resolution the X850C can handle for 3D side/side and top/bottom is 1080P60.

There is no official 4K 3D format like the existing 1080P frame packed 3D from a BD which is the best quality 2K 3D.

Sony can handle 3D with each image at 1920x1080 at up to 30P"

If you haven't yet, check out the X850C FAQ in my sig, to learn more about your potential new TV.
Thanks, I downloaded the faq yesterday but could not find an answer to this. User error maybe lol

From all I read there is no 4K 3D. I am not worried about that. In fact if the KDL75W850C; which is not 4k at all, had good 3D I would of just bought that, but I found it rated very poorly for 3D.

I wish there was a clear vut answer from Sony about this, especially since Consumer Reports is claiming one is better than the other (the 55 being better for 3D than the 65 according to them). I did write Sony yesterday so if I can get a straight answer I will report it back here.
Danabw likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #662 of 1128 Old 01-08-2016, 08:43 PM

mount from faq

VideoSecu MW380B Dual Arms TV Wall Mount Bracket for 32-70 Inch LED, LCD and Plasma HDTV

the FAQ lists this mount and a great option but it says only up to 70' tv. Will it work with the 75 version of this tv?

sadly I cannot post a direct link to it since i must have 5 or greater posts and I have 3.
post #663 of 1128 Old 01-08-2016, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Cooper View Post
Thanks, I downloaded the faq yesterday but could not find an answer to this. User error maybe lol

From all I read there is no 4K 3D. I am not worried about that. In fact if the KDL75W850C; which is not 4k at all, had good 3D I would of just bought that, but I found it rated very poorly for 3D.

I wish there was a clear vut answer from Sony about this, especially since Consumer Reports is claiming one is better than the other (the 55 being better for 3D than the 65 according to them). I did write Sony yesterday so if I can get a straight answer I will report it back here.
well this was a really useful reply from Sony to my question.

"Thank you for contacting Sony Video and Sound Support.
We hope you are doing well. We regret for the inconvenience caused.
We suggest you to contact nearest Sony Center.
If you have any further concern, please feel free to contact us.
Thank you for being a valued Sony customer. Have a wonderful day ahead."
Danabw likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #664 of 1128 Old 01-09-2016, 08:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked: 419
Quote:
well this was a really useful reply from Sony to my question.

"Thank you for contacting Sony Video and Sound Support.
We hope you are doing well. We regret for the inconvenience caused.
We suggest you to contact nearest Sony Center.
If you have any further concern, please feel free to contact us.
Thank you for being a valued Sony customer. Have a wonderful day ahead."
In other words, "I dunno, ah, maybe ask my brother at the store?"

X850C FAQ links for mobile users: Dropbox: 2015 Sony X850C FAQ - Recommended Picture settings, 3D FAQ, HDR FAQ, DirecTV 4K Ready FAQ, troubleshooting & common problems. || Google Docs X850C FAQ Link

2015 Sony X850C FAQ: Recommended Picture settings, 3D FAQ, HDR FAQ, DirecTV 4K Ready FAQ, Troubleshooting & common problems; Dropbox Link || Alternate Google Drive FAQ Link. || My gear: TV - Sony XBR75X850C, BD - Sony BDP S350, AVR - Pioneer VSX-1020, Speakers - RBH MC-616C MKII Center Channel, RBH MC-6C MKII Bookshelf (fronts), RBH MC-615 In-ceiling surrounds, RBH TS-10AP 200W self-powered sub.
post #665 of 1128 Old 01-09-2016, 09:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 965 Post(s)
Liked: 450
As much as I like this TV I have one minor observation with my specific set. When the screen momentarily goes black during the transition from broadcast to commercial I see what I would call flashlighting/random blobs. It's no big deal in the totality of viewing enjoyment but it does make me wonder if perhaps a setting adjustment could correct the problem
post #666 of 1128 Old 01-09-2016, 10:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
VideoSecu MW380B Dual Arms TV Wall Mount Bracket for 32-70 Inch LED, LCD and Plasma HDTV

the FAQ lists this mount and a great option but it says only up to 70' tv. Will it work with the 75 version of this tv?

sadly I cannot post a direct link to it since i must have 5 or greater posts and I have 3.
Just added this to the FAQ based on your Qs:

The mount's description says "up to 70" but the mount's specs (hole pattern support - 200x200 300x300 300x200 400x200 400x300 400x400 600x400, and weight limit - up to 165 lbs) support the 55", 65", and 75" X850C models. See the X850C hole pattern specs and weights below (from the Reference Guide).

wall-mount hole pattern & weight (w/out TV stand)
XBR-75X850C: 400 × 300 mm, 34.8 kg / 76.7 lb
XBR-65X890C: 400 × 300 mm, 24.1 kg / 53.1 lb
XBR-65X850C: 400 × 300 mm, 24.1 kg / 53.1 lb
XBR-55X890C: 300 × 300 mm, 19.9 kg / 43.9 lb
XBR-55X850C: 300 × 300 mm, 19.9 kg / 43.9 lb
XBR-49X830C: 300 × 300 mm, 14.4 kg / 31.8 lb
XBR-43X830C: 200 × 300 mm, 11.8 kg / 26 lb

2015 Sony X850C FAQ: Recommended Picture settings, 3D FAQ, HDR FAQ, DirecTV 4K Ready FAQ, Troubleshooting & common problems; Dropbox Link || Alternate Google Drive FAQ Link. || My gear: TV - Sony XBR75X850C, BD - Sony BDP S350, AVR - Pioneer VSX-1020, Speakers - RBH MC-616C MKII Center Channel, RBH MC-6C MKII Bookshelf (fronts), RBH MC-615 In-ceiling surrounds, RBH TS-10AP 200W self-powered sub.
post #667 of 1128 Old 01-09-2016, 10:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post
As much as I like this TV I have one minor observation with my specific set. When the screen momentarily goes black during the transition from broadcast to commercial I see what I would call flashlighting/random blobs. It's no big deal in the totality of viewing enjoyment but it does make me wonder if perhaps a setting adjustment could correct the problem
See the FAQ in the Troubleshooting section for suggestions for reducing flashlighting and clouding from the Rtings site (and comments from owners on their results).

However, any time you mess w/your TV you do run the risk of making things worse. If it's only visible in those brief moments I know that I wouldn't worry about it.

post #668 of 1128 Old 01-09-2016, 10:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 888 Post(s)
Liked: 452
Quote:
Andy, I believe that you have your settings in Dana's dropbox form that he maintains. I went to look at your settings but cannot get his link to load all the way . I will try to look later. I assume you are using the same settings you gave to him under the calibration settings? My 75 goes completely black in the transition you mention above..
Gerry
post #669 of 1128 Old 01-09-2016, 10:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggw2000 View Post
Andy, I believe that you have your settings in Dana's dropbox form that he maintains. I went to look at your settings but cannot get his link to load all the way . I will try to look later. I assume you are using the same settings you gave to him under the calibration settings? My 75 goes completely black in the transition you mention above..
Gerry
FYI - Just tried the dropbox link to the FAQ and it worked for me, so likely a short-term local or dropbox issue.

post #670 of 1128 Old 01-09-2016, 10:43 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 845 Post(s)
Liked: 319
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggw2000 View Post

Gerry

For what it's worth...

Sometimes my set will kill the back light completely on a black field, sometimes not. I'm not sure what will instigate this vs not. When it doesn't kill the backlight I had some fairly obvious clouding. I was able to reduce it significantly with a micro fiber cloth. It's not gone but more subtle now. I don't know why that trick works, but it does <shrug>

SONY 75X850C | YAMAHA RX-A2050 | 5 DAYTON AUDIO APA150 | KLIPSCH RP 5.2.4
post #671 of 1128 Old 01-09-2016, 12:55 PM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Hey guys so im about to mount my 75X850C and have a question about the IR sensor/3D output..

In my situation it's going to be a pretty tight fit to a shelf above the TV and to my speaker below the TV. On the 70" sharp TV im taking down I already had an issue with the speaker blocking some available angles of picking up the remote since the sensor is in the middle bottom just like the Sony. Moving the speakers or the shelf is not an option. I saw there is an IR input on the back of the TV so I was thinking of just getting one of those IR repeater things and mounting the receiver in an optimal location but I just wanted to make sure 3D communication to the glasses won't be compromised. From what I understand the 3D in this TV sends RF, not IR, correct? So blocking line of site from my main watching position to the middle bottom sensor on the TV shouldn't effect it at all?
post #672 of 1128 Old 01-09-2016, 01:40 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryMagoo View Post
Thanks for the kind words....I use Andy Sullivan's settings from Dana's Forum Signature....
Quote:
I don't know if you've tried my settings but you might give them a shot. One thing to keep in mind is that we are always at the mercy of the broadcast signal. All providers compress their signal. Some are compressed at more than one site. Prime time hours also are more compressed. ESPN and ABC broadcast at 720p while NBC and CBS broadcast at 1080i. Some feel that 1080i is better but I really don't know. One of the biggest inherited problems with LCD technology is motion blur. Even the most expensive FALD LCD's suffer this to some extent. Until OLED becomes affordable the current state of LCD will continue to rule the roost. Perhaps broadcast 4K will help but the major studios have little incentive to make that financial investment. The vast vast majority are quite content with what they have.
Thanks for the recommendation. I did just that and found a noticeable improvement. I did dial back the Clarity>Resolution further down from 70 to 60, as faces seemed "sandy" on my set. I didn't have any sports on the DVR, so my testing has been late at night with recaps (probably compressed considerably). I should be able to test better today. Though for BDs, I think I may like rtings for the moment. I kind of like the "Football Mode" button for a quick toggle between the two picture modes. Can the picture mode (Cinema Pro) be assignable to this button instead of it being Sports Mode? If not, could I alter the Sports Mode to mirror Andy's Cinema Pro settings or is that not the same?

Now I just need to figure out why ARC isn't working. Perhaps the Sony doesn't work well with my Yamaha (a question I'll present in the Yamaha thread).
post #673 of 1128 Old 01-09-2016, 03:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9V7W3 View Post
Hey guys so im about to mount my 75X850C and have a question about the IR sensor/3D output..

In my situation it's going to be a pretty tight fit to a shelf above the TV and to my speaker below the TV. On the 70" sharp TV im taking down I already had an issue with the speaker blocking some available angles of picking up the remote since the sensor is in the middle bottom just like the Sony. Moving the speakers or the shelf is not an option. I saw there is an IR input on the back of the TV so I was thinking of just getting one of those IR repeater things and mounting the receiver in an optimal location but I just wanted to make sure 3D communication to the glasses won't be compromised. From what I understand the 3D in this TV sends RF, not IR, correct? So blocking line of site from my main watching position to the middle bottom sensor on the TV shouldn't effect it at all?
Sony does warn in the reference guide about putting the TV in a spot where there isn't good airflow above the TV, as that may cause the set to overheat...you might want to check to ensure that things aren't getting to hot at the top - if the 70" is tight the 75" may push it too far.

Correct on 3D, the set works w/active 3D glasses that use BT, which is not directional, so you don't need line of sight. I use these and like them very much, though they've gone up in price (I got mine for $19, now they are $34: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...rch_detailpage

There is a list of known working BT glasses in the X850C FAQ in my sig, along w/notes on glasses that had issues.

post #674 of 1128 Old 01-09-2016, 09:45 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok so i gotta ask.... Why is the 910C considered a higher prices unit? Are there any differences in the quality of the screen? I ask because I've seen both it and the 850C and to be the 850C seems to have a much better build quality to it. I'm in love with the all metal bezel. Who cares it is just slightly thicker?

The 910C units I have seen in the store look horribly put together along the edges. Gap in between the screen and tape used on the edges of the screen that has bubbles in it and on some units not even or cut very bad and have jagged edges. They should at least put some kind of thin trim around the slim bezel and the screen. To me it looks half finished.

Anyone else feel this way or has noticed this? Are newer versions not this bad?
post #675 of 1128 Old 01-11-2016, 06:21 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I just received my 75" 850C over the weekend, fresh off the truck @ Best Buy. Dec 2015 build in Mexico and NO banding issues whatsoever. Only 1/16" square area areas are "dimmed" in every corner. Not a big deal to me.

TV is beautiful!!!
rgathright, Danabw and LarryMagoo like this.
post #676 of 1128 Old 01-11-2016, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pointothearro View Post
I just received my 75" 850C over the weekend, fresh off the truck @ Best Buy. Dec 2015 build in Mexico and NO banding issues whatsoever. Only 1/16" square area areas are "dimmed" in every corner. Not a big deal to me.

TV is beautiful!!!

Good to hear can you check the TV at night on the tv settings screen and post a pic. I'd like to use this to show Best Buy and Sony so I can exchange mine.

Thanks
post #677 of 1128 Old 01-11-2016, 09:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 888 Post(s)
Liked: 452
Quote:

TV is beautiful!!!
"dimmed" area in corners is Normal for the 75" on all white or bright colors background. Not at all noticeable with regular content..
Gerry
post #678 of 1128 Old 01-11-2016, 10:06 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Guys need help here
I've a Bose 130 system and I am running my sound through the HDMI ARC,
Can someone please let me know the 4 digit Universal Remote Device code for the XBR75X850c remote. I dont know how or where to find this info?
Once I have this then I can control my TV using the Bose remote so one less remote to worry about
post #679 of 1128 Old 01-11-2016, 10:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrini Nallan View Post
Guys need help here
I've a Bose 130 system and I am running my sound through the HDMI ARC,
Can someone please let me know the 4 digit Universal Remote Device code for the XBR75X850c remote. I dont know how or where to find this info?
Once I have this then I can control my TV using the Bose remote so one less remote to worry about
Did you try Google?

Quick search results below, no idea if this will work/help:

http://codesforuniversalremotes.com/...ote-codes-tv/:
SONY – 0128 0013 0002 0071 0380

And here:

http://codesforuniversalremotes.com/...-for-sony-tvs/

If you turn on HDMI-CEC (aka Bravia Sync on Sony) on TV and receiver, you should be able to do what you want, albeit w/the Sony remote. Would that work for you?

post #680 of 1128 Old 01-12-2016, 08:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:

I noticed this last night on mine also. I have a few clouds/blobs that I didn't notice in the past few weeks. I can only really see them during transition scenes to black. I think I can make out a bit of one if it's just credits rolling on a black screen but it's not overwhelming or anything (and that's in an almost pitch black room). I am trying to keep my OCD in check and just let it go along with the light bleed I have found. I also try and remind myself that my old Sharp Elite had clouds and light bleed that is similar to the sony (the 60" and 70" versions I had). The Sharp had fully array local dimming though so it covered up 95% of it even when watching movies in pitch black. I use the light sensor on my settings and that does help a bit.

I love the tv though even with these annoyances though. I think seeing multiple friends near me get the same set with worse issues (really noticeable banding, flashlighting, and clouding worse than mine) has made me stop from a swap. I could get one with a little better uniformity but it could be a lot worse.
post #681 of 1128 Old 01-12-2016, 08:38 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Just ordered one of these off Amazon, hoping to get by Friday so i'll post with observations once I set it up (clouding/banding/etc).
post #682 of 1128 Old 01-12-2016, 09:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Watching the college championship game last night really allowed this set to shine. The visuals, including the colors and the overall PQ was spectacular showcased on a 75 inch screen.
post #683 of 1128 Old 01-12-2016, 10:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesxtreme View Post
Just ordered one of these off Amazon, hoping to get by Friday so i'll post with observations once I set it up (clouding/banding/etc).
Congrats - get ready, it is a beast!

In preparation download and review the X850C FAQ in my sig, to help you to come up to speed quickly w/out having to read the all the 850C threads, and avoid having to ask about known issues.

Last edited by Danabw; 01-12-2016 at 10:33 AM.
post #684 of 1128 Old 01-12-2016, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealcatcher_com View Post
Good to hear can you check the TV at night on the tv settings screen and post a pic. I'd like to use this to show Best Buy and Sony so I can exchange mine.

Thanks
Will do!

Exactly which "TV settings screen" are you referring to? I'm not too familiar with the specific screens....yet
post #685 of 1128 Old 01-12-2016, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Will do!

Exactly which "TV settings screen" are you referring to? I'm not too familiar with the specific screens....yet
If you goto the home menu then scroll to the bottom. There will be a gear icon that says settings. I used the date & time settings screen to take a photo. Banding is more visiable on lower contrast gray/blue images at night with the lights out. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	banding75.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	1180338  
post #686 of 1128 Old 01-12-2016, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealcatcher_com View Post
If you goto the home menu then scroll to the bottom. There will be a gear icon that says settings. I used the date & time settings screen to take a photo. Banding is more visiable on lower contrast gray/blue images at night with the lights out. Thanks!
10-4. Will try this tonight.
post #687 of 1128 Old 01-12-2016, 12:53 PM

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Watching the college championship game last night really allowed this set to shine. The visuals, including the colors and the overall PQ was spectacular showcased on a 75 inch screen.
Andy,

Nice to hear from you....Glad you thought the National Championship looked great last night...Using your TV settings I think Sports rock on this TV. Some have said that the set got bad reviews on Sports. I think that notion is nuts! Sports is almost all I watch and I think it has great PQ for that. I get zero noise from moving objects... never any blurring some have discussed. It sure was an exciting game....tons of scoring for sure and both teams were giving it their all!!

Cheers!
Larry
MrPorterhouse likes this.

Sony XBR75X940D | Marantz AV8801 | SunFire Cinema Grand 5-Chan. | 5.2 system w/ 5 Monitor Audio Gold 2 Velodyne HGS 12's | Oppo BDP 105 | MAC Mini for Streaming, View on the XBR | Harmony Ultimate Remote | DDRC-88A| Comcast Internet 90Mb's | 2 Dedicated 20 AMP circuits. | Apple TV4 | Cans: Sennheiser HD 650 + Sennheiser HD 800S | Oppo HA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, Fed with my Schiit Yggdrasil DAC |
post #688 of 1128 Old 01-12-2016, 01:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryMagoo View Post
Andy,

Nice to hear from you....Glad you thought the National Championship looked great last night...Using your TV settings I think Sports rock on this TV. Some have said that the set got bad reviews on Sports. I think that notion is nuts! Sports is almost all I watch and I think it has great PQ for that. I get zero noise from moving objects... never any blurring some have discussed. It sure was an exciting game....tons of scoring for sure and both teams were giving it their all!!

Cheers!
Larry
That was a great game to record if you want to fine tune your colors. Natural green grass, stunning orange Clemson uniforms and every color in the spectrum in the stands. The perfect pallet.
post #689 of 1128 Old 01-12-2016, 01:44 PM

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Thinking about get this set. Do you think I would have any problems using my Onkyo 709 receiver? I don't have any 4k sources through the receiver so I think it would work without a problem. I don't want to upgrade the receiver because it is able to output to two sources at once. One for my TV and one for the projector.

PSN ID Cyber125
post #690 of 1128 Old 01-12-2016, 03:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Long time lurker, first time poster. Thanks in large part to this forum, I purchased this set. The FAQ along with the support on this thread is awesome. I learned so much I knew more than reps at Best Buy. They tried to tell me this TV was Edge lit even when I corrected them and claim there haven't been banding issues.
After seeing my TV, my dad was thinking of purchasing same, but all these banding and clouding issues concern me. I have some of my own banding and clouding issues, but I am worried a new one would be worse. I thought about steering my dad towards the 910c even though it's edge lit. I haven't seen a whole lot of reviews on the 910c since its newer so I look to the experts on this thread. I've seen at least one person mention Sony offered to replace 850c with a 910c. Is worth a call to Sony to see if they would do an exchange for my 850c that has banding and clouding?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page