"Official" 2015 Sony XBR-75X850C - Ultra HD 4K LED 3D HDTV Owners Thread - Page 25 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 213Likes

post #721 of 1128 Old 01-18-2016, 02:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillietalls View Post
Got my answer in another thread. Thanks though
Yup, saw it. Always nice to post what the fix was in case others don't see it...in this case you hadn't turned on Bravia Sync on the TV or HDMI-CEC on the sound system to enable ARC.

Check the FAQ in my Sig for tons of info on the X850C. Enjoy your set.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

2015 Sony X850C FAQ: Recommended Picture settings, 3D FAQ, HDR FAQ, DirecTV 4K Ready FAQ, Troubleshooting & common problems; Dropbox Link || Alternate Google Drive FAQ Link. || My gear: TV - Sony XBR75X850C, BD - Sony BDP S350, AVR - Pioneer VSX-1020, Speakers - RBH MC-616C MKII Center Channel, RBH MC-6C MKII Bookshelf (fronts), RBH MC-615 In-ceiling surrounds, RBH TS-10AP 200W self-powered sub.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 1128 Old 01-18-2016, 04:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cchen326 View Post
On my 2nd replacement I have clouding and corner light bleed on the bottom right. I tried the micro fiber rub technique outlined in dana's FAQ and it did not do much for it unfortunately.
I read the bias lighting section and gave it a shot by ordering a $60 set from amazon. When I have it on the clouding and light bleed cannot be seen. I guess the added brightness behind the screen hides these defects fairly well so if anyone was considering getting bias lighting just be aware this can also hide some of the slight defects you might have on the screen as an added bonus.

I purchased this set

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01...ilpage_o09_s00

and it came out looking like this
Thanks for posting the details and pic - I've added you to the FAQ in the Bias lighting post in the first tab.
cchen326 likes this.

2015 Sony X850C FAQ: Recommended Picture settings, 3D FAQ, HDR FAQ, DirecTV 4K Ready FAQ, Troubleshooting & common problems; Dropbox Link || Alternate Google Drive FAQ Link. || My gear: TV - Sony XBR75X850C, BD - Sony BDP S350, AVR - Pioneer VSX-1020, Speakers - RBH MC-616C MKII Center Channel, RBH MC-6C MKII Bookshelf (fronts), RBH MC-615 In-ceiling surrounds, RBH TS-10AP 200W self-powered sub.
post #723 of 1128 Old 01-18-2016, 06:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 2
So IDK what I did but all of a sudden I no longer have audio in the main menu area but when I go to my Xbox One(my cable box) I have audio from the TV, no longer coming from my sound system.

When I power the tv/SS on and off they both work so they are still connected I guess but just not getting audio out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #724 of 1128 Old 01-18-2016, 06:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobydiesel View Post
So IDK what I did but all of a sudden I no longer have audio in the main menu area but when I go to my Xbox One(my cable box) I have audio from the TV, no longer coming from my sound system.

When I power the tv/SS on and off they both work so they are still connected I guess but just not getting audio out?
Did you try rebooting the TV? Long press on power button on remote.

Home/Settings/Sound/Speakers still set to audio system?

Are you using ARC or optical out?

If ARC, Bravia Sync still enabled on the TV?

What does your setup consist of?

post #725 of 1128 Old 01-18-2016, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danabw View Post
Did you try rebooting the TV? Long press on power button on remote.

Home/Settings/Sound/Speakers still set to audio system?

Are you using ARC or optical out?

If ARC, Bravia Sync still enabled on the TV?

What does your setup consist of?

I just did the long power button reset(before I had gone to the settings and restarted) and its still not working(menu audio is not working)

Speakers are set to audio system.

Not sure on ARC or Optical out?

My set up is everything plugged into my Sound system(sony) then out to the TV. I typically watch everything on my Xbox One which is connected to my Tivo Roamio which is then connected to the sound system.

I'm honestly not sure what screwed it up? I dont believe I had done anything and then all of a sudden realized its not working and the fact that the TV menu sounds are not working?
post #726 of 1128 Old 01-18-2016, 10:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I just did the long power button reset(before I had gone to the settings and restarted) and its still not working(menu audio is not working)

Speakers are set to audio system.

Not sure on ARC or Optical out?

My set up is everything plugged into my Sound system(sony) then out to the TV. I typically watch everything on my Xbox One which is connected to my Tivo Roamio which is then connected to the sound system.

I'm honestly not sure what screwed it up? I dont believe I had done anything and then all of a sudden realized its not working and the fact that the TV menu sounds are not working?
So are you sure you ever had sound coming from your sound system, and not just the TV?

You are using ARC if you have done the following:

Connected an HDMI cable from HDMI4 on the TV to the ARC HDMI input on your receiver or to your soundbar's HDMI connection.

Audio settings required on your TV and on your connected device(s) to use ARC:

* Home>Settings>External Inputs>Bravia Sync settings; Enable Bravia Sync
* On your connected device (usually receiver or soundbar), enable Bravia Sync (Sony device) or HDMI-CEC (non-Sony device). Companies use different names for HDMI-CEC - see table to the right for some examples. You need to figure out if your device supports HDMI-CEC and what they call it in the menu structure of the device so you can enable it.
* Home>Settings>Sound>Speakers. Set to Audio System
* Home>Settings>Sound>Digital Audio Out. Set to Auto 2 to output DD/DTS surround sound when available.
* Use the HDMI4 connection on the TV - that is the only ARC-enabled HDMI port on the TV!

If you haven't done all of above, then you ARC won't work.

If you've used an optical cable to connect from the TV to your sound system, that's a separate small, thin cable (not HDMI) that has a little (like 1/16" diameter) glass bulb on each end of it.

You're most likely using (or trying to use) ARC...check the settings above and confirm you're connected properly and have enabled what needs to be enabled.

But before that, if things were working previously via ARC, try turning everything off, unplugging/completely power down, and then fire everything up again - that might resolve things if it was working before an all your settings/connections are correct.

post #727 of 1128 Old 01-19-2016, 07:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
On my 2nd replacement I have clouding and corner light bleed on the bottom right. I tried the micro fiber rub technique outlined in dana's FAQ and it did not do much for it unfortunately.
I read the bias lighting section and gave it a shot by ordering a $60 set from amazon. When I have it on the clouding and light bleed cannot be seen. I guess the added brightness behind the screen hides these defects fairly well so if anyone was considering getting bias lighting just be aware this can also hide some of the slight defects you might have on the screen as an added bonus.

I purchased this set

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01...ilpage_o09_s00

and it came out looking like this

That looks great! I actually looked at that set also (it has great reviews). I ordered a pair of ideal lume panel lights from cinemaquest and should have them today.
post #728 of 1128 Old 01-19-2016, 01:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOTR View Post
That looks great! I actually looked at that set also (it has great reviews). I ordered a pair of ideal lume panel lights from cinemaquest and should have them today.
Once you have it and set it up, can you post comments, pics, and a link to where you got the lights?

Thanks!

post #729 of 1128 Old 01-19-2016, 02:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Once you have it and set it up, can you post comments, pics, and a link to where you got the lights?

Thanks!
Will do!
post #730 of 1128 Old 01-19-2016, 04:10 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by YOTR View Post
what made you go with the cinemaquest lights instead?
post #731 of 1128 Old 01-19-2016, 06:45 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Understanding that this is a Sony thread and anticipate some reasonable bias, I still need to solicit some opinions. I'm looking to replace my living room TV which is a Samsung 720P DLP of about 10 - 12 years old (The Captain Kirk Model to be specific).

I'k trying to decide between the Sony this thread is dedicated to and the Vizio M75-C1. I'm leaning towards the Sony based on what I've learned so far but still need to justify the additional $700 - $800 for the Sony.

I still watch a good bit of cable programming via Verizon FIOS so upscaling will be a very important factor -- especially for WAF given that the DLP still looks great with the FIOS signal. The viewing quality of the FIOS stuff can't be noticeably diminished and this especially true of sports content and most specifically, football..

My second biggest source of content is a large collection of downloaded material in 720P, 1080P and Blu Ray ripped material that is watched through Plex.

I do also watch content through Netflix and Amazon prime Video.

Finally I watch some Blu Ray movies and will make the move to UHD Blu Ray when it comes available.

As I understand the main differences, The Vizio of course is cheaper and would have some lower quality components and maybe lower overall build quality. The Vizio does offer FALD but with inly 32 zones, its effectiveness is questionable. Based on opinions here and elsewhere, the Sony offers better upscaling and does provide the ability to display HDR material but offer what could be called a pseudo HDR and not what is expected to be the official spec.

I've checked my local Best Buys but, they don't display the Vizio M75 -- only the Sony in the Magnolia area of the store. It looks great on the 4K loop. I just need to find someplace to see the Vizio. BB near me displays the M60 and M70 which I believe are models with a panel from a different manufacturer than the M75.

All thoughts and opinions are appreciated.

Thanks...
post #732 of 1128 Old 01-19-2016, 06:52 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Best Buy dropped off my new set today, this one has no visible vertical banding. However, I do notice a lot more clouding on this set, I can even see where the screen looks slightly pushed in from the frame and the led is visible. The quality control on these TVs is just not very good. This is my 3rd set, not sure what to do, I got a great price and I like most things about the TV.

1st Oct Build - Had a group of about 5 dead pixels that made a visible black dot near the middle of the screen. no banding, some clouding issues.

2nd Nov Build - Bad vertical banding, one red pixel, almost no clouding.

3rd Nov Build - No vertical banding, one blue pixel, and one green, visible clouding
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	new-nobanding.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	1195658   Click image for larger version

Name:	cloud.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	1195802  
post #733 of 1128 Old 01-19-2016, 07:29 PM

Quote:
So are you sure you ever had sound coming from your sound system, and not just the TV?

You are using ARC if you have done the following:

Connected an HDMI cable from HDMI4 on the TV to the ARC HDMI input on your receiver or to your soundbar's HDMI connection.

Audio settings required on your TV and on your connected device(s) to use ARC:

* Home>Settings>External Inputs>Bravia Sync settings; Enable Bravia Sync
* On your connected device (usually receiver or soundbar), enable Bravia Sync (Sony device) or HDMI-CEC (non-Sony device). Companies use different names for HDMI-CEC - see table to the right for some examples. You need to figure out if your device supports HDMI-CEC and what they call it in the menu structure of the device so you can enable it.
* Home>Settings>Sound>Speakers. Set to Audio System
* Home>Settings>Sound>Digital Audio Out. Set to Auto 2 to output DD/DTS surround sound when available.
* Use the HDMI4 connection on the TV - that is the only ARC-enabled HDMI port on the TV!

If you haven't done all of above, then you ARC won't work.

If you've used an optical cable to connect from the TV to your sound system, that's a separate small, thin cable (not HDMI) that has a little (like 1/16" diameter) glass bulb on each end of it.

You're most likely using (or trying to use) ARC...check the settings above and confirm you're connected properly and have enabled what needs to be enabled.

But before that, if things were working previously via ARC, try turning everything off, unplugging/completely power down, and then fire everything up again - that might resolve things if it was working before an all your settings/connections are correct.

Hey, Im not sure what I did but the sound system is working now(Found some test audio online too which was cool) and I didnt change any settings, however everything you listed is what I had in place. My sony sound system synced to the tv right away and was already set up. But some reason it had stopped working.

Now the only thing not working is the audio in the menu/home screen area.

I got Home>Settings>Sounds>System Sounds>On

yet they are not on.... I know its not a big deal but its very odd when it just got silent. I like the feedback moving around the menus.
post #734 of 1128 Old 01-19-2016, 10:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hey, Im not sure what I did but the sound system is working now(Found some test audio online too which was cool) and I didnt change any settings, however everything you listed is what I had in place. My sony sound system synced to the tv right away and was already set up. But some reason it had stopped working.

yet they are not on.... I know its not a big deal but its very odd when it just got silent. I like the feedback moving around the menus.
Odd about your home screen sounds, but a small issue, at least. Have you tried toggling the setting?

Scoobydiesel likes this.

post #735 of 1128 Old 01-20-2016, 06:29 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dealcatcher_com View Post
Best Buy dropped off my new set today, this one has no visible vertical banding. However, I do notice a lot more clouding on this set, I can even see where the screen looks slightly pushed in from the frame and the led is visible. The quality control on these TVs is just not very good. This is my 3rd set, not sure what to do, I got a great price and I like most things about the TV.

1st Oct Build - Had a group of about 5 dead pixels that made a visible black dot near the middle of the screen. no banding, some clouding issues.

3rd Nov Build - No vertical banding, one blue pixel, and one green, visible clouding
Do the negative asects of the new TV affect your viewing experience on normal content? IMHO, it looks way better than your 2nd tv with the vertical banding. If the "attributes" of this new panel don't detract from you enjoyment of the TV, I say keep it.
post #736 of 1128 Old 01-20-2016, 07:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
what made you go with the cinemaquest lights instead?
I was looking at a few options and noticed cinemaquest was mentioned a lot in the forums. I really liked the glow they gave off compared to the traditinal LED lights (a bit softer from pictures I saw). I was also looking for something that was 6500k and that had the option of being mounted to the wall in case I didn't want to attach it to the set. I still might just hang the lights on the back of the tv but I really like the fact that they can still be wall mounted and have the same effect for bias lighting. I might eventually get a remote power on/off but as long as I can reach the switch on the sides, I should be good. I will probably only use the bias lighting when we watching movies at night anyway. I should have them today and hoping to get them up by the weekend.
cchen326 likes this.
post #737 of 1128 Old 01-20-2016, 07:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I would just keep it. You can always find issues with any set if you look for them. My set has some clouding and light bleed. It also has banding. Luckily I only see the banding occasionally. I posted before but a few of my friends have the exact same set and every one of them has some sort of clouding/light bleed and all have banding (that includes a friend that swapped his 3 times). If the clouding bothers you, just get some bias lighting behind it. I ordered a pair of cinemaquest ideal lume panelight bulbs or you could get one of those led strip sets you put on the tv. Either way, that should hide the majority of your clouding issues when viewing.
post #738 of 1128 Old 01-20-2016, 08:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 965 Post(s)
Liked: 450
I read some thoughts on the other 850c thread regarding the use of ACE with and without Black Adjust. It seems that ACE is not useful below the Medium setting. Has anybody here experimented with these settings?
post #739 of 1128 Old 01-20-2016, 09:57 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 845 Post(s)
Liked: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post
I read some thoughts on the other 850c thread regarding the use of ACE with and without Black Adjust. It seems that ACE is not useful below the Medium setting. Has anybody here experimented with these settings?

I think I know the discussion you're referring to.

That statement about no effect below Medium was what I read and certainly seems to be the case based on my limited testing so far. I'm also interested in hearing others experiences with ACE... Both the dimming and contrast enhancement aspects of it.

SONY 75X850C | YAMAHA RX-A2050 | 5 DAYTON AUDIO APA150 | KLIPSCH RP 5.2.4
post #740 of 1128 Old 01-20-2016, 10:41 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:

System sounds use the TV speakers.

If you set Speakers to TV speakers and adjust the volume do you have sound from System sounds and the program?

If not do you have something plugged into the Headphone/Audio out Jack? If so unplug it. Plugging in a device to the Headphone/Audio out Jack will mute the TV speakers. To override this you would change the setting for Headphone/Audio out Jack. Home>Settings>Sound>Headphone speaker link>Speakers on
Danabw and Scoobydiesel like this.
post #741 of 1128 Old 01-20-2016, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400MHz MAN View Post
System sounds use the TV speakers.

If you set Speakers to TV speakers and adjust the volume do you have sound from System sounds and the program?

If not do you have something plugged into the Headphone/Audio out Jack? If so unplug it. Plugging in a device to the Headphone/Audio out Jack will mute the TV speakers. To override this you would change the setting for Headphone/Audio out Jack. Home>Settings>Sound>Headphone speaker link>Speakers on
the headphone speaker link option is set to speakers off but I cant turn that on, its faded out and wont let me do anything.

Quote:
Odd about your home screen sounds, but a small issue, at least. Have you tried toggling the setting?

I did toggle it and nothing changed, still silent
post #742 of 1128 Old 01-20-2016, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pointothearro View Post
Do the negative asects of the new TV affect your viewing experience on normal content? IMHO, it looks way better than your 2nd tv with the vertical banding. If the "attributes" of this new panel don't detract from you enjoyment of the TV, I say keep it.
For the most part the clouding is not visible on content, only totaly black screens with the advanced contrast setting turned off. This set is much better, the banding on the 2nd set was bad during things like hockey and video games. I'm going to stick with this set, I picked up a Squaretrade warranty from Costco in case I have any other issues down the road. It's just frustrating that a $3000 TV in 2016 still has issues and so much variance between sets.
post #743 of 1128 Old 01-20-2016, 03:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I do not even have my 75" model yet and I am having buyers remorse. I am hoping most of the negative comments being made here lately are new buyers looking for issues and not actually watching TV. I have not mentioned any of the above mentioned problems to see if the wife notices anything. It will be about two more months before I get mine delivered.

Sony XBR-75X850C - Living Room
Samsung UN60J6300AFXZA - Bedroom
post #744 of 1128 Old 01-20-2016, 03:42 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by virtualrain View Post
I think I know the discussion you're referring to.

That statement about no effect below Medium was what I read and certainly seems to be the case based on my limited testing so far. I'm also interested in hearing others experiences with ACE... Both the dimming and contrast enhancement aspects of it.
I've recently settled on ACE set to high and Black Adjust set to Medium. And I've also been running with the Backlight Brightness set to 35 with the Light Sensor on.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
post #745 of 1128 Old 01-21-2016, 02:54 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
For the most part the clouding is not visible on content, only totaly black screens with the advanced contrast setting turned off. This set is much better, the banding on the 2nd set was bad during things like hockey and video games. I'm going to stick with this set, I picked up a Squaretrade warranty from Costco in case I have any other issues down the road. It's just frustrating that a $3000 TV in 2016 still has issues and so much variance between sets.
Are you OK with two color dead pixels? I'm surprised that nowadays lcd panel still suffers from faulty pixels.
post #746 of 1128 Old 01-21-2016, 08:06 AM

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
I am on my 3rd set and I have very similar clouding to the pic you posted and also a small corner light bleed. I am keeping mine because like you said its only visible on black screens. I keep adv contrast on high since I prefer it anyway and also have bias lighting which *hides* the clouding. I think clouding and some light bleed are bearable unlike banding which makes certain scenes or type of scenes unwatchable.
virtualrain likes this.
post #747 of 1128 Old 01-21-2016, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyJC View Post
Are you OK with two color dead pixels? I'm surprised that nowadays lcd panel still suffers from faulty pixels.
The pixels are really small and not really visiable on color content. All 3 sets had at least two messed up pixels.
post #748 of 1128 Old 01-21-2016, 07:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgathright View Post
I do not even have my 75" model yet and I am having buyers remorse. I am hoping most of the negative comments being made here lately are new buyers looking for issues and not actually watching TV. I have not mentioned any of the above mentioned problems to see if the wife notices anything. It will be about two more months before I get mine delivered.
DON'T PANIC! (To quote one of my favorite books.)

This forum represents a self-selected group of AV enthusiasts and people who have a problem they want help with. We do not reflect the general public - we are smarter, better looking, and way cooler.

I have always taken the approach that a problem only exists if I notice it while watching the content I actually watch, as opposed to on settings screens, test patterns, and other content designed to find problems. Of course each of us has our own way of determining if their TV is OK for their use, that's just what works for me.
400MHz MAN likes this.

post #749 of 1128 Old 01-22-2016, 03:24 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Has anyone notice the standby power consumption of this tv is very high? I have attached an energy meter to it, when power off to standby by pressing the power button on the remote, the TV consistently dragging 25w of energy when idle. Interestingly, all the USB ports are powered too when standby, which means your USB drive attached to it will never shut off. 25w is way higher than the specs on sony website which was below 1w. If you leave your TV standby 24x7, it could produce a large energy bill.
post #750 of 1128 Old 01-22-2016, 03:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1536 Post(s)
Liked: 1593
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyJC View Post
Has anyone notice the standby power consumption of this tv is very high? I have attached an energy meter to it, when power off to standby by pressing the power button on the remote, the TV consistently dragging 25w of energy when idle. Interestingly, all the USB ports are powered too when standby, which means your USB drive attached to it will never shut off. 25w is way higher than the specs on sony website which was below 1w. If you leave your TV standby 24x7, it could produce a large energy bill.
How do we bypass standby mode and do a full shut down?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page