"Official" 2015 Sony XBR-75X850C - Ultra HD 4K LED 3D HDTV Owners Thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 213Likes

post #181 of 1128 Old 10-15-2015, 06:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I downloaded the Life of PI HDR clip and will post feedback after I get a chance to view the clip.

My understanding is that a panel must be 10bit to support HDR. Can anyone confirm if the XBR-75X850C is a 10 bit panel?

Thanks

Mcintosh C2500, MC302, MC8207
B&W 804D3, HTM2D3
Marantz 7702 mkII
Oppo 203, Sony UBP-X800
Sony XBR85X900F living room, LG OLED65E7P (Bedroom), Sunbrite 46 Pro series (outside)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1128 Old 10-15-2015, 04:34 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Jeremy,

Wish I could help you with that one....I D/L the Life of Pi on a Thumb Drive and then plugged into the TV. I am such a newbie to this panel that I have no idea if I'm watching 4K or not....no indication...I would guess that you have to have the set on Cinema Pro with to view 4K? When I watch Cinema Pro, it does not seem as sharp to me as when I watch the "standard" setting....what the heck am I doing wrong???

When I log on to YouTube and search for 4K....the resolution setting in the lower left corner says I can change it to 4K.....so does that still mean I have to be in Cinema Pro mode?

It's a shame the the small little "Reference Guide" you get with the set is the only owners manual.....That just sucks as far as trying to figure out how to fine tune the panel...

I use to buy Sony ProFeel CRT's and they came with great documentation. They 75X850C not so much

Cheers!

Sony XBR75X940D | Marantz AV8801 | SunFire Cinema Grand 5-Chan. | 5.2 system w/ 5 Monitor Audio Gold 2 Velodyne HGS 12's | Oppo BDP 105 | MAC Mini for Streaming, View on the XBR | Harmony Ultimate Remote | DDRC-88A| Comcast Internet 90Mb's | 2 Dedicated 20 AMP circuits. | Apple TV4 | Cans: Sennheiser HD 650 + Sennheiser HD 800S | Oppo HA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, Fed with my Schiit Yggdrasil DAC |
post #183 of 1128 Old 10-16-2015, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post
Gerry, here are my settings as you requested. Easiest way to set them is first go to Action Menu button on the remote then scroll down to Picture Adjustments. Choose Picture Mode = Cinema Pro. Then turn Light Sensor =Off, then drop down to Advanced Settings. Under the Brightness Category I have Brightness = 44, Contrast =92, Gamma= -1, Black Level = 48, black Adjust = Medium, Adv Contrast Enhancer = Medium. Now under the Color category, Color= 38, Hue= 0, Color Temp= Neutral, Adv. Color Temp = Facrory, Color Space = sRGB/BT.709, Live Color = Off. Now go to the Clarity Category. Sharpness = 50, Reality Creaion = Manual, Resolution = 70, Mastered in 4K = On, Random noise Reduction/ Digital Noise Reduction = off. Now drop down to the Motion Category. Motionflow = Standard, Smoothness and Clearness are pre-set, CineMotion = Low. These settings are great for me but to each his own. Color saturation and brightness levels are always a personal preference so you may like some different settings but these will give you a starting point. Good luck with your new set. The 75x850c is a great TV.
Andy.....wanted to thank you for these settings!!! Still only had the Sony for a short while. When I first selected Cinema Pro...it looked crappy to me. But when I used all of your settings, my opinion really changed.

Also from what I have learned, the only way to see 4K on clips and samples is to use the Cinema Pro setting correct?

Really appreciate the time you took to post those!! Still learning....

Cheers,
Larry

Sony XBR75X940D | Marantz AV8801 | SunFire Cinema Grand 5-Chan. | 5.2 system w/ 5 Monitor Audio Gold 2 Velodyne HGS 12's | Oppo BDP 105 | MAC Mini for Streaming, View on the XBR | Harmony Ultimate Remote | DDRC-88A| Comcast Internet 90Mb's | 2 Dedicated 20 AMP circuits. | Apple TV4 | Cans: Sennheiser HD 650 + Sennheiser HD 800S | Oppo HA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, Fed with my Schiit Yggdrasil DAC |
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #184 of 1128 Old 10-19-2015, 11:36 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Ok guys.... Please check out my attached clip from my 75x850c [standard mode]. Note the grass and dirt on fast pans. None of my other large sets do this. It's driving me crazy. I started with a 65", which had this same dirty screen effect and horrific vert banding and edge bloom. the 75 only has the annoying dirty screen effect. Are your sets doing this too?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0S...ew?usp=sharing

best to download the file

Last edited by chairmann; 10-19-2015 at 11:41 AM.
post #185 of 1128 Old 10-20-2015, 10:20 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 845 Post(s)
Liked: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by chairmann View Post
Ok guys.... Please check out my attached clip from my 75x850c [standard mode]. Note the grass and dirt on fast pans. None of my other large sets do this. It's driving me crazy. I started with a 65", which had this same dirty screen effect and horrific vert banding and edge bloom. the 75 only has the annoying dirty screen effect. Are your sets doing this too?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0S...ew?usp=sharing

best to download the file
I had a look, but I couldn't see anything abnormal. Any issues I could see seemed to be crappy encoding on the cable/sat signal. Not sure what you're expecting. It's the crappy macro-block happy encodes of cable/satellite feeds made me cut the cord though, so I'm not the best person to ask.

SONY 75X850C | YAMAHA RX-A2050 | 5 DAYTON AUDIO APA150 | KLIPSCH RP 5.2.4
post #186 of 1128 Old 10-20-2015, 11:30 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 5
It's def not the cable source. The game is recorded and avail on all my TVs the largest 2 are:

Samsung 75" UN75HU8550FXZA
Sharp 72" LC-70UQ17U

those sets have ZERO DSE blocking artifacts etc....

I wish someone could definitively prove that the 850c lineup is not just inherently flawed and no amount of tweaking will help.... then my next question is "which 75" 4k TV is best"?

I'm so frustrated and feel betrayed by Sony for putting out inferior product
post #187 of 1128 Old 10-21-2015, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtualrain View Post
I had a look, but I couldn't see anything abnormal. Any issues I could see seemed to be crappy encoding on the cable/sat signal. Not sure what you're expecting. It's the crappy macro-block happy encodes of cable/satellite feeds made me cut the cord though, so I'm not the best person to ask.
I have been a DirectV customer for over 15 years and I think they provide the sharpest TV signal available! That said, I think Cable is the worst place to get a quality signal....you are hooked in to everyone else's signal which puts too much noise on the line. With DirecTV it's like your own Cable network with no one else on the line.... When I watch Monday Night Football on ESPN, I swear I could wipe off the sweat on some of those players faces...it's that real looking to me...For a sports fanatic, that source is the only one for me...!! I think my 75X850C just tears it up!!
ManAmalinNYC likes this.

post #188 of 1128 Old 10-25-2015, 08:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 851 Post(s)
Liked: 419
X850C Calibration spreadsheet updated:

- Corrections provided by @DoctorM and @Recall
- Addition of @sirius_rich and @virtualrain settings. Virtualrain provided a very detailed post on his exploration of the 850C settings options in his calibration post, definitely worth a read even if you've already completed your setup! See the link to his post in the spreadsheet. @virtualrain - did you ever post an update to your calibration settings after you exchanged your 65X850C for your 75X850C?
- Re-ordered settings by screen size for easier side-by-side comparisons of like models
- Changed how the links to the original posts are provided - Embedding the links into the "Link to post" text didn't work for some reason, the links would fail when clicked. So I just put the URLs in a separate cell and you can copy/paste them into a browser. If any Excel guru knows why the links don't work when set up as embedded in text please let me know.
- Formatting to improved readability
- Fortified with 8 vitamins and iron (just like Wonder Bread!)

As always, if you have settings you'd like to share, let me know. If your settings are already in the spreadsheet and I've made any errors or you have any updates, let me know.

Link in my sig. For those on mobile where sigs don't show up:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i6j91tdicu...s-v5.xlsx?dl=0

2015 Sony X850C FAQ: Recommended Picture settings, 3D FAQ, HDR FAQ, DirecTV 4K Ready FAQ, Troubleshooting & common problems; Dropbox Link || Alternate Google Drive FAQ Link. || My gear: TV - Sony XBR75X850C, BD - Sony BDP S350, AVR - Pioneer VSX-1020, Speakers - RBH MC-616C MKII Center Channel, RBH MC-6C MKII Bookshelf (fronts), RBH MC-615 In-ceiling surrounds, RBH TS-10AP 200W self-powered sub.

Last edited by Danabw; 10-25-2015 at 09:26 AM.
post #189 of 1128 Old 10-26-2015, 07:30 AM
Advanced Member

"Official" 2015 Sony XBR-75X850C - Ultra HD 4K LED 3D HDTV Owners Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danabw View Post
X850C Calibration spreadsheet updated:

- Corrections provided by @DoctorM and @Recall
- Addition of @sirius_rich and @virtualrain settings. Virtualrain provided a very detailed post on his exploration of the 850C settings options in his calibration post, definitely worth a read even if you've already completed your setup! See the link to his post in the spreadsheet. @virtualrain - did you ever post an update to your calibration settings after you exchanged your 65X850C for your 75X850C?
- Re-ordered settings by screen size for easier side-by-side comparisons of like models
- Changed how the links to the original posts are provided - Embedding the links into the "Link to post" text didn't work for some reason, the links would fail when clicked. So I just put the URLs in a separate cell and you can copy/paste them into a browser. If any Excel guru knows why the links don't work when set up as embedded in text please let me know.
- Formatting to improved readability
- Fortified with 8 vitamins and iron (just like Wonder Bread!)

As always, if you have settings you'd like to share, let me know. If your settings are already in the spreadsheet and I've made any errors or you have any updates, let me know.

Link in my sig. For those on mobile where sigs don't show up:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i6j91tdicu...s-v5.xlsx?dl=0

Yeah, I was going to mention this, but I think the data in your spreadsheet is old for my settings. Around the time I got my new set I spent a lot of time getting video levels setup correctly. The updated essay is in post #100 in this thread (I'll also find the link for the main multi-model owners thread).

Here's the post in the multi model owners thread...
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lc...l#post37248098
Danabw likes this.

post #190 of 1128 Old 10-26-2015, 08:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtualrain View Post
Yeah, I was going to mention this, but I think the data in your spreadsheet is old for my settings. Around the time I got my new set I spent a lot of time getting video levels setup correctly. The updated essay is in post #100 in this thread (I'll also find the link for the main multi-model owners thread).

Here's the post in the multi model owners thread...
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lc...l#post37248098
Thanks...I'll check it out and update.

OK - updated!
virtualrain likes this.

2015 Sony X850C FAQ: Recommended Picture settings, 3D FAQ, HDR FAQ, DirecTV 4K Ready FAQ, Troubleshooting & common problems; Dropbox Link || Alternate Google Drive FAQ Link. || My gear: TV - Sony XBR75X850C, BD - Sony BDP S350, AVR - Pioneer VSX-1020, Speakers - RBH MC-616C MKII Center Channel, RBH MC-6C MKII Bookshelf (fronts), RBH MC-615 In-ceiling surrounds, RBH TS-10AP 200W self-powered sub.

Last edited by Danabw; 10-26-2015 at 08:47 AM.
post #191 of 1128 Old 10-29-2015, 10:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I cannot seem to find a set of picture settings that work both during the day and evening with this set...Just too much light variation in our family room that I can't control (and really don't want to make the room into a cave during the day, anyway).

Since my wife cannot be trained to change picture settings depending on ambient light, I had to fall back to enabling the light sensor.

The results are ok, not optimal, but better than having a too dark picture during the day, or a too bright picture at night.

Anyone else with a TV room with big ambient light swings found a clever way to deal with this issue?

Aside from changing wives, I mean.

Sent from my stang5litre Edition 5.0 using Tapatalk

Last edited by Danabw; 10-29-2015 at 02:13 PM.
post #192 of 1128 Old 10-29-2015, 04:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked: 457
There is a phenomenon that I notice during certain scenes like a cloudy sky or other darker pictures. I see a vortex ( like a worm hole with multiple arching rings). No adjustment can get rid of it.
post #193 of 1128 Old 10-30-2015, 02:45 PM

Quote:
There is a phenomenon that I notice during certain scenes like a cloudy sky or other darker pictures. I see a vortex ( like a worm hole with multiple arching rings). No adjustment can get rid of it.
Damn Andy,

What the heck are you doing digging up problems...;-)....I gotta say I have not seen what you are referring to...hopefully I won't. Is it on all the different sources you use? Just wondered if it can be traced to one source...but what the heck do I know...

Cheers,
Larry

post #194 of 1128 Old 10-30-2015, 03:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryMagoo View Post
Damn Andy,

What the heck are you doing digging up problems...;-)....I gotta say I have not seen what you are referring to...hopefully I won't. Is it on all the different sources you use? Just wondered if it can be traced to one source...but what the heck do I know...

Cheers,
Larry
It's probably the source. Next time I see it I'll be more specific regarding the source and the time. I'm probably not describing it very well. It looks like if you dropped a stone in the water and and you saw the accompanying ripples. They kind of fluxuate . I paused it and tried every combination of settings to get rid of it. Couldn't get rid of it.
post #195 of 1128 Old 10-30-2015, 03:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It's probably the source. Next time I see it I'll be more specific regarding the source and the time. I'm probably not describing it very well. It looks like if you dropped a stone in the water and and you saw the accompanying ripples. They kind of fluxuate . I paused it and tried every combination of settings to get rid of it. Couldn't get rid of it.
I'm not letting you anywhere near my TV, that's for sure.

post #196 of 1128 Old 10-30-2015, 04:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danabw View Post
Thanks...I'll check it out and update.

OK - updated!
I should point out that I've now turned off Adv. Contrast Enhancer... At first I liked what it was doing to scenes, but now I just prefer it off. I'll be updating my essay post over the weekend.
Danabw likes this.

post #197 of 1128 Old 10-30-2015, 06:13 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3939 Post(s)
Liked: 3969
Quote:
I see that on my Js9500 so I would say source related.
post #198 of 1128 Old 10-30-2015, 06:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post
I see that on my Js9500 so I would say source related.
I also saw it on my 70x850b and my 65w850a, and my 70w850b.
post #199 of 1128 Old 10-30-2015, 07:03 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3939 Post(s)
Liked: 3969
Quote:
I also saw it on my 70x850b and my 65w850a, and my 70w850b.
Saw it ocassionally on my f8500 plasma also
post #200 of 1128 Old 10-30-2015, 11:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2073 Post(s)
Liked: 730
Quote:

It looks like if you dropped a stone in the water and you
saw the accompanying ripples. They kind of fluctuate.

Probably source-related. I've seen it on streaming content, OTA, and discs on my 2014 Vizio P50 and former 2013 Vizio M40.

(Shhhhh. I've seen it on my brother's X75850C in a multi-hue blue sky scene. I didn't say anything then. I don't know if he saw it - he didn't say anything. Maybe he won't see this message.)

- PjThis is The End-Age GenerationTime is Running OutQuakes, Sinkholes, Meteors
EvilutionMankind Was CreatedWe Didn't Come From ApesThere Was a Worldwide Flood!
The End of This Age is Near!I'm Ready For The Rapture!Are You Ready?The Time is Now!

Last edited by CleCakYngMfd; 10-31-2015 at 04:36 PM.
post #201 of 1128 Old 10-31-2015, 10:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleCakYngMfd View Post
Probably source-related. I've seen it on streaming content, OTA, and discs on my 2014 Vizio P50 and former 2013 Vizio M40.

(Shhhhh. I've seen it on my brother's X75850C in a multi-hue blue sky seen. I didn't say anything then. I don't know if he saw it - he didn't say anything. Maybe he won't see this message.)

Does this phenomenon have a name? What part of the TV is supposed to compensate for this type of weak source problems? Video processor? Inquiring minds.
post #202 of 1128 Old 10-31-2015, 04:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Does this phenomenon have a name?

The only name to me that comes to mind is, 'Digital Crap'.

Ever since my first look on an LCD TV from years ago, I've seen this 'digital step' of graduating hues. I think it may be a combo of source and a lower-end processing of a TV?

I don't think it will ever go away. It'll always be seen from time to time.

EvilutionMankind Was CreatedWe Didn't Come From ApesThere Was a Worldwide Flood!
The End of This Age is Near!I'm Ready For The Rapture!Are You Ready?The Time is Now!
post #203 of 1128 Old 10-31-2015, 04:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

At least my question generated some interest in this thread again. Several here apparently have not seen this phenomenon. Is everybody here as happy with their 75x850c's as I am? Not perfect but a tremendous bang for the buck.
post #204 of 1128 Old 10-31-2015, 06:11 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Does this phenomenon have a name? What part of the TV is supposed to compensate for this type of weak source problems? Video processor? Inquiring minds.
I believe it's posterization. I get it seldom on black scenes and blue sky scenes.

It appears all the time in the night sky of the House of Cards intro:
(The night sky behind the Grant memorial). Streaming at 1080p from Netflix.

I hope it's source related.

Unrelated to that, what settings do you guys use on the 75" to make FTA SD viewing bareable?

EDIT: Deep linking doesn't seem to work. Scene i'm talking about starts at 1m2s.

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Marantz SR6006 Receiver | Studio 60 v.5 Fronts (Bi-Amped) | SVS PB-2000 | Sony KD-75X9400E 75" (Firmware: PKG6.2671.0070PAA) | Harmony Hub (Firmware: 4.14.123)

Last edited by kain0rer; 10-31-2015 at 10:06 PM.
post #205 of 1128 Old 11-01-2015, 01:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kain0rer View Post

I believe it's posterization.

Yep. That's what it is. Here's link to a Paul Bigelow Post 3 in 2004 on Posterization.

When I saw it on my brother's 75", it was slight. Nothing like what this video is showing, which I've seen on my Vizio P50 - source (compression) related. It's not as bad on my P50 since its latest firmware update a while back.

I'd turn off any picture enhancements or try different ones and see what you get. On my P50, I have two 'noise' enhancements turned off. One of them makes faces look like 'waxed figures' if I have it on. (It's less aggressive with the latest firmware.)

Here's some enhanced, exaggerated 'Posties' from that YouTube video you posted:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	House of Cards.PNG
Views:	877
Size:	453.8 KB
ID:	1031753   Click image for larger version

Name:	House of Cards b.PNG
Views:	857
Size:	295.8 KB
ID:	1031761   Click image for larger version

Name:	House of Cards c.PNG
Views:	881
Size:	217.9 KB
ID:	1031769   Click image for larger version

Name:	House of Cards d.PNG
Views:	864
Size:	330.2 KB
ID:	1031777  

Last edited by CleCakYngMfd; 11-01-2015 at 01:04 AM.
post #206 of 1128 Old 11-01-2015, 08:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked: 192
How hot does the 75in get when watching content?

I was at Best Buy and noticed that the 65X930C and 75X850C got quite hot along the whole top edge. The 75X910C on the other hand was very cool to the touch.

OLED65C9PUA, NVIDIA SHIELD TV Pro, Xbox One X, B&O Beosound Stage, BDI 8179
post #207 of 1128 Old 11-01-2015, 02:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Several dealers have this on sale now for around $3,500. I really don't want to get it until early next year being my new house will not be finished yet. Do y'all think this price will hold and maybe even come down some more early next year (Jan or Feb)?
post #208 of 1128 Old 11-01-2015, 03:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgathright View Post
Several dealers have this on sale now for around $3,500. I really don't want to get it until early next year being my new house will not be finished yet. Do y'all think this price will hold and maybe even come down some more early next year (Jan or Feb)?
Normally I would expect the price to come down to maybe $3200 but it really boils down to supply and demand. Sony may play it tight with the 75" and push the 65".
post #209 of 1128 Old 11-01-2015, 04:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Normally I would expect the price to come down to maybe $3200 but it really boils down to supply and demand. Sony may play it tight with the 75" and push the 65".
If the price doesn't come down I'd be surprised.

Sent from my stang5litre Edition 5.0 using Tapatalk

post #210 of 1128 Old 11-01-2015, 07:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgathright View Post

Several dealers have this on sale now for around $3,500.

Do y'all think this price will hold and maybe even
come down some more early next year (Jan or Feb)?

Y'all ought ta see this price...

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	East Coast TVs Sale [a].PNG
Views:	839
Size:	274.6 KB
ID:	1033449  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page