Coming from F5300 Plasma, what's comparable? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By boe

post #1 of 23 Old 09-30-2015, 02:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Coming from F5300 Plasma, what's comparable?

In short, my F5300's speakers are blown out and it's still in warranty, but Samsung can't find a technician in the area, so they've offered a refund or exchange. I'm considering it. They will be contacting me in the next few days with a list of exchange options and if I don't like them, I can opt for a refund or just keep it, since I use the stereo for audio anyway. But sometimes when changing inputs, resolutions, or audio tracks on a Blu-ray, I get some pops and crackles out of the TV speakers, even though no audio is being sent to them, which I find weird.

So my question is, opting for the refund, what is out there that is close to comparable to the F5300's picture quality at around $1,000?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 09-30-2015, 04:33 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 3778 Post(s)
Liked: 3606
For that budget it will be tough to find a good led other than the Vizio M series. Unless you get FALD imo its not going to be comparable.

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A
DirectTV/ ATV4k/Panasonic UB820/Sony Z9F Soundbar
Calman Enthusiast, Lightspace, C6 HDR 2000 I1Pro2
post #3 of 23 Old 09-30-2015, 06:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked: 882
Vizio M series
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 09-30-2015, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post
for that budget it will be tough to find a good led other than the vizio m series. Unless you get fald imo its not going to be comparable.
fald?
post #5 of 23 Old 09-30-2015, 02:06 PM

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 3778 Post(s)
Liked: 3606
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuiGonJosh View Post
fald?
Sorry FullArrayLocalDimming
post #6 of 23 Old 09-30-2015, 02:18 PM
boe
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1207 Post(s)
Liked: 545
Even with FALD, nothing compares well motion wise to a plasma (other than a CRT). Some are lucky enough not to notice (those are the people who say motion is fine on LED/LCD/OLED). It would be like a color blind person insisting that a neon green jacket is fine for a funeral.
post #7 of 23 Old 09-30-2015, 03:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked: 882
Quote:
Originally Posted by boe View Post
Even with FALD, nothing compares well motion wise to a plasma (other than a CRT). Some are lucky enough not to notice (those are the people who say motion is fine on LED/LCD/OLED). It would be like a color blind person insisting that a neon green jacket is fine for a funeral.
Or maybe those like (I guess) you who act like the motion is so horrible because they have such a heightened sensitivity to it are the minority. Nah, let's just equate everyone (the majority I am sure) who are fine with the motion to people who are colour blind which is a minority of people. Brilliant.

Oh and there are different aspects of colour blindness and many who are colour blind would see a neon green jacket just fine...
post #8 of 23 Old 09-30-2015, 04:05 PM
boe
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlindo View Post
Or maybe those like (I guess) you who act like the motion is so horrible because they have such a heightened sensitivity to it are the minority. Nah, let's just equate everyone (the majority I am sure) who are fine with the motion to people who are colour blind which is a minority of people. Brilliant.

Oh and there are different aspects of colour blindness and many who are colour blind would see a neon green jacket just fine...
Wow way to get angry over nothing. I could be in the minority - I don't claim to know. I do KNOW there is a big difference that some see and some don't. I'm not dumb enough to claim that motion is fine though. I imagine there are many people who are color blind who would see a neon green jacket. Those who can't are just plain blind.

Back to the original question - if you want to find out if you are or hopefully are not sensitive to the motion issues with LCD/LED TVs, try to find one showing a football game when the ball is in motion or a hockey game where the puck is travelling or a landscape that is being covered in a panoramic sweep - if it looks jumpy to you (kind of like a jerking movement) the Sony's tend to be a little better for motion. If you don't notice it the Samsungs tend to show up a little better in brighter rooms.

Last edited by boe; 09-30-2015 at 04:19 PM.
post #9 of 23 Old 09-30-2015, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I am kind of sensitive to the motion, but it's been years, probably 8 years, since I last tested an LCD in my house and went with plasma. Have they gotten any better? I didn't tend to notice it in the store, but once I would get the set home it would give me a headache.
post #10 of 23 Old 09-30-2015, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Are viewing angles still really bad? It shouldn't be that big of a deal because the seating is a good 10-12 feet from the TV and straight on. No off angle seating or anything.

It kind of feels like I'd be going from a Jaguar to a Ford going from the F5300 to a LED.
post #11 of 23 Old 09-30-2015, 07:40 PM
boe
AVS Forum Special Member

Welcome to the hypersensitive minority

It seems like the viewing angles are less than ideal but they may be better than the older sets you've looked at - likewise with the motion. You might like what you find. I prefer the Sony's but there are some advantages to the Samsung's. If you have a very fat wallet, OLED has some advantages as well although IMHO the motion on the LG OLED is actually worse than even the Samsung. If you look at the big screen shootout, OLED and LCD from different manufacturers have advantages and disadvantages. I think IF you can wait about another 6 or 7 months there MAY be some price advantages for larger TVs as well as some compelling sets better suited for 4K than this year. Of course really just about every year is typically better than the last. I've seen some great technology that never made it to market like crystal LED and SED TV.

At your distance if you are going 65" or above you'll probably enjoy the 4K. The bigger the screen the higher quality you'll want to go. Again there are SOME people who claim that the human eye can't detect 4K - those eyes belong to Hellen Keller. Some would say get a 55" at 12' - I'd say get an 85" at 12'. Everyone has their own preference so while I have my opinions that doesn't make them right. Some will give you articles with bad math from Consumer Reports to justify that distance to screen size ratio. I'll give you the method an eye doctor would for the correct size. Take a piece of painters tape or a post it note. Put it in the corner where the screen might sit. Now take another and put it at a diagonal at some distance - say 75" from the other. Now sit where you would normally watch TV. Can you see both post its without moving your eyes - than you could go bigger.

I'm always taken by my friends and family to buy a new set. The same argument every time - my current set is 50" so 55 would be plenty big. I keep telling them to get a 65" or bigger - they say nah - that would be TOO big. I tell them to keep the box in mint condition because what I hear from about 85% of them is - I should have bought bigger. Oh and if your excuse is your cabinet won't fit a bigger set - put the cabinet in Craigslist or you'll curse your cabinet AND your TV for another 5 years.

Last edited by boe; 09-30-2015 at 07:50 PM.
post #12 of 23 Old 09-30-2015, 11:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2987 Post(s)
Liked: 2826
boe You are not the only one ,I'm very sensitive to the motion blur of LCD's, but also some LCD owner are sensitive to the flicker of plasma , now some today LCD have BFI (Black frame insertion) The BFI is supposed to help with the motion blur but it makes the display to flicker.

either way we need that flicker.
post #13 of 23 Old 10-01-2015, 01:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

4K is not really a concern. I have no content to play on it and I'm in the camp that in general, 4K is not necessary at HDTV screen sizes. And it doesn't sound like the motion blur and viewing angles have improved over time with LCD's. I think I'll just keep the plasma and run it into the ground. Thanks for the advice.
post #14 of 23 Old 10-01-2015, 06:21 AM
boe
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by losservatore View Post
boe You are not the only one ,I'm very sensitive to the motion blur of LCD's, but also some LCD owner are sensitive to the flicker of plasma , now some today LCD have BFI (Black frame insertion) The BFI is supposed to help with the motion blur but it makes the display to flicker.

either way we need that flicker.
Good to know, thanks! I don't notice the flicker of plasma but it is good to be aware some people are sensitive to it. I have one LCD and one plasma. I love certain features of both. If only I could combine the two!
post #15 of 23 Old 10-01-2015, 06:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Talked to Samsung again. So basically the exchange is that you just get a store credit for the price of the TV. I think I paid $799 for the F5300. Which basically means I can't get anything anywhere near the quality of the F5300 without spending substantially more. I think I'm just going to keep the F5300 or opt for a refund. The exchange is a waste of time.
post #16 of 23 Old 10-01-2015, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Went by Best Buy today and woo boy do LED looks like two tons of crap. Nothing seems to have changed. I'm definitely keeping my plasma. Nothing that wasn't at least $1,500 looked in any way appealing.

The OLED's however, wow, they looked awesome. Too bad they cost nearly as much as my car!
post #17 of 23 Old 10-01-2015, 01:44 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 33
The LG 55EC9300 sells for $2,000 or less, so that's probably your best bet. It has lower input lag than your F5300, and none of the plasma phosphor lag that highlights fast motion with yellow! If your car was only ~$1,800, it might be better to evaluate your priorities.
post #18 of 23 Old 10-01-2015, 01:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Take the refund and a new lg 55ec9300 can be yours for 1200.

Panasonic 55ST50
Yamaha RX-V673
Klipsch RF-52 II // RC-52 II // RS-42 II
Klipsch RW-12d
Klipsch KG 2.5
post #19 of 23 Old 10-01-2015, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb32 View Post
The LG 55EC9300 sells for $2,000 or less, so that's probably your best bet. It has lower input lag than your F5300, and none of the plasma phosphor lag that highlights fast motion with yellow! If your car was only ~$1,800, it might be better to evaluate your priorities.
The OLED's I saw were $4,000 and $6,000. I didn't see the LG at my BB. It's still too much though. Just keeping the plasma and when that goes out OLED should be more affordable.

I've never had a problem with input lag or phosphor lag on my F5300 or any plasma I've owned.
post #20 of 23 Old 10-01-2015, 04:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2987 Post(s)
Liked: 2826
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb32 View Post

specially that model ec9300 have judder motion issues.

Last edited by losservatore; 10-01-2015 at 04:18 PM.
post #21 of 23 Old 10-01-2015, 07:34 PM
boe
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by losservatore View Post
specially that model ec9300 have judder motion issues.

Yeah " glaring strobing artifacts noted in quickly-panned scenes in film content" doesn't sound ideal to me.
QuiGonJosh likes this.
post #22 of 23 Old 10-02-2015, 06:55 AM

Quoted: 669 Post(s)
Liked: 887
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuiGonJosh View Post
In short, my F5300's speakers are blown out and it's still in warranty, but Samsung can't find a technician in the area, so they've offered a refund or exchange. I'm considering it. They will be contacting me in the next few days with a list of exchange options and if I don't like them, I can opt for a refund or just keep it, since I use the stereo for audio anyway. But sometimes when changing inputs, resolutions, or audio tracks on a Blu-ray, I get some pops and crackles out of the TV speakers, even though no audio is being sent to them, which I find weird. So my question is, opting for the refund, what is out there that is close to comparable to the F5300's picture quality at around $1,000?
How did the speakers blow out if you didn't use them?

Anyway, short of an OLED TV there is nothing available that will have the good PQ of your Plasma. Some LCDs do some things better, but for the most part they just don't measure up to even a low end Plasma.

I would keep it since you're basically using it as a video monitor and don't need the onboard speakers. You could remove the rear cover and just snip one of the wires on the left and right speakers.

Or if you want the TV to have working speakers, remove your bad ones and buy replacements and install them yourself (i'm sure it's super easy to do). Or disconnect the blown speakers completely and extend the right and left speaker wires so they're hanging outside the rear of the cabinet and connect a pair of small cheap PC speakers or sumthing behind the TV.

Randy
Sony XBR-55X900E, Panasonic TC-P55ST60, TiVo Roamio Pro, TWC Arris DCX3600-M 6-Tuner DVR, Darbee DVP-5000S, Onkyo TX-SR333 AVR, URC MX-890 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - https://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #23 of 23 Old 10-02-2015, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post
How did the speakers blow out if you didn't use them?

Anyway, short of an OLED TV there is nothing available that will have the good PQ of your Plasma. Some LCDs do some things better, but for the most part they just don't measure up to even a low end Plasma.

I would keep it since you're basically using it as a video monitor and don't need the onboard speakers. You could remove the rear cover and just snip one of the wires on the left and right speakers.

Or if you want the TV to have working speakers, remove your bad ones and buy replacements and install them yourself (i'm sure it's super easy to do). Or disconnect the blown speakers completely and extend the right and left speaker wires so they're hanging outside the rear of the cabinet and connect a pair of small cheap PC speakers or sumthing behind the TV.

I was moving and I suppose maybe a wire was loosened during transit. I did pack it back in the original box with all of the original styrofoam. I first started hearing crackling when I would change from a stereo track to a 5.1 track on a Blu-ray and I thought it was my speakers, but it was actually the right speaker from the TV. Then I discovered that the right speaker was the only one that was working. The left speaker is not working. The crackling has subsided though and that was the only real issue.

I will probably take the back off one of these days and see if one of the speaker plugs are loose or something or just disconnect them. Are there any tutorial videos for this kind of thing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page