My SONY KDL-52XBR3 has stopped working. Why? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 11-01-2015, 09:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 14
My SONY KDL-52XBR3 has stopped working. Why?

My 8 year old Sony TV LCD Model KDL-52XBR3 suddenly quit on me. When I turned the power on, the green light button fades away within several seconds with no picture and sound. What could be wrong with it. Any ideas? Thank you all for your answers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-01-2015, 10:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1479 Post(s)
Liked: 1446
Power supply/Main board? Have you tried unplugging the set for a few hours?

Media room- 65" Panasonic FZ950 OLED, Pioneer Elite VSX-90, Panasonic UBD-820 4K, Klipsch Gallery G28's, Klipsch Sub 12, Klipsch RS-52 II, Optik HD cable

Living room- Sony 4K 79XBRX900B, Onkyo RC-360,HTPC,Klipsch Reference R-62II,Rc52II,PS4
Gaming room -Panasonic ST60, PS3, Wii
post #3 of 5 Old 11-01-2015, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinoheat View Post
Power supply/Main board? Have you tried unplugging the set for a few hours?
I have tried unplugging it for an hour, still does not work!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 11-02-2015, 07:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamptons View Post
I have tried unplugging it for an hour, still does not work!!!!
Had similar event with our 40Z4100 after 6-7 years and have seen numerous reports similar after 6 yrs and I believe it likely was a power supply/controller board failure and as a former Troubleshooter in IT it's likely a form of obsolescence or simply internal dust/humidity build-up that can trigger it - if you've ever seen what's inside those boards internally after 1-2 yrs imagine it after 8.

I often kind of chuckle when I see Panel Life Spans posted when in fact it should be estimating the guts within/behind the panel you don't see that will = failure, even being a smoker can adversely impact that or living in a high dust or humid region.

I replaced it with a Samsung last yr that's pretty nice but inferior PQ for sure to the Sony we had in the Bedroom Armoire. Finding parts or even identifying components when Sony has a history of swapping vendors regularly is beyond consumers without costly testing tools and beyond warranty.

Sad thing today it's getting truly difficult to find a high-end PQ in anything under 55". I recall in the early days there were some kick butt 32" units when profit margins were huge but today are miniscule and subcontract rebadged mundane PQ products.

Good Luck in finding something to replace it.

Samsung 75HU8550w/SEK-3500-UHDVideoPk, 65F8000, 60D8000, 40HU6350, Philips Folio Soundbar
XBoxOne/360, FPS's Borderlands 1/2, EDF 2017/2025, Halo's

Last edited by westa6969; 11-02-2015 at 07:32 AM.
post #5 of 5 Old 11-02-2015, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by westa6969 View Post
Had similar event with our 40Z4100 after 6-7 years and have seen numerous reports similar after 6 yrs and I believe it likely was a power supply/controller board failure and as a former Troubleshooter in IT it's likely a form of obsolescence or simply internal dust/humidity build-up that can trigger it - if you've ever seen what's inside those boards internally after 1-2 yrs imagine it after 8.

I often kind of chuckle when I see Panel Life Spans posted when in fact it should be estimating the guts within/behind the panel you don't see that will = failure, even being a smoker can adversely impact that or living in a high dust or humid region.

I replaced it with a Samsung last yr that's pretty nice but inferior PQ for sure to the Sony we had in the Bedroom Armoire. Finding parts or even identifying components when Sony has a history of swapping vendors regularly is beyond consumers without costly testing tools and beyond warranty.

Sad thing today it's getting truly difficult to find a high-end PQ in anything under 55". I recall in the early days there were some kick butt 32" units when profit margins were huge but today are miniscule and subcontract rebadged mundane PQ products.

Good Luck in finding something to replace it.
Thank you Westa for your invaluable help. Do you have an idea how much it costs to replace the power supply/controller board? Is it worth replacing the part or better to get a brand new TV? Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page