Samsung 2015 HDTVs - New Firmware HDMI port issue - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #1 of 82 Old 11-27-2015, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Samsung 2015 HDTVs - New Firmware HDMI port issue

The last few days (Wed-Thu 11/25-26/2015) Samsung apparently released a new version of the firmware for the following 2015 HDTV 1080p models (perhaps other models as well):
J550 J5500 J5900 J5920 J5950 J630 J6300 J6350 J6360 J6400 J6500

Many owners including myself have observed a bug in this new firmware after it uploaded automatically to the TV in the past couple days. When the TV is turned off into standby mode using the remote control, and later when the TV is turned back on with the remote, all the HDMI ports apparently don't wake back up and don't see any signals on any of the HDMI ports.

The only way we have found as a temporary workaround to get the HDMI ports working again for awhile is to do a cold power off (unplug the TV's power cord) for a few seconds and then plug it back in again. Then the HDMI ports all work until the next time the TV is powered off into standby mode with the remote when you have to reset it with the power cord unplug again.

This just started happening in the past couple days after the current firmware version apparently was uploaded to the TV (v1430). I have a Samsung UN40J6300 model for reference and it never had this issue until the last couple days with the new firmware.
Others have reported the exact same problem in the last couple days with their Samsung 2015 TVs in this thread over the past couple days:
http://www.tomsguide.com/answers/id-...led-smart.html

I'd like to see how many AVS members with the 2015 Samsung HDTVs have encountered this problem the past few days. Please post what model TV you have and the current firmware version please.

I and others have tried recommended cold resets of the TV (power cord unplugged for over 10minutes, factory reset) but none of those fix the problem. It would seem only a firmware change will fix it. Too bad Samsung doesn't support uploading an older version of the firmware, so they need to release an update version for us ASAP!

Last edited by BriscoCountyJr; 11-30-2015 at 07:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 82 Old 11-27-2015, 08:17 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Same problem hdmi only works after I unplug the tv. But once I turn off the tv hdmi stop working again. This is ridiculous, I need to unplug the tv every time I want to use it.
BriscoCountyJr likes this.
post #3 of 82 Old 11-27-2015, 09:52 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramonlg View Post
Same problem hdmi only works after I unplug the tv. But once I turn off the tv hdmi stop working again. This is ridiculous, I need to unplug the tv every time I want to use it.
Yes - thats the problem exactly.
Did it start just in the last few days?
What model Samsung HDTV do you have and whats the current firmware version #?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 82 Old 11-27-2015, 10:02 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I am also facing the same problem.If you guys get the solution please do post here.
BriscoCountyJr likes this.
post #5 of 82 Old 11-27-2015, 10:49 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by judyjbrittain View Post
I am also facing the same problem.If you guys get the solution please do post here.
The only current temp workaround is the unplug/replug tv power cord.
All we can do is wait for Samsung to (hopefully) release a new firmware version soon to fix what the current version broke.

What model tv do you have and when did the problem start for you?
post #6 of 82 Old 11-28-2015, 06:25 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I have the same hdmi issue.
TV: Samsung UN55J6300
firmware 1430

The problem started Wed 11/25. I have to use the same workaround of unplugging the TV for a few seconds and then all works fine, until the next time I power off the TV.

Spoke to Samsung Tech Support yesterday and they said they are aware of the problem and said they are working on a fix - but the person I spoke to did not inspire a lot of confidence. So nothing to do but wait
post #7 of 82 Old 11-28-2015, 07:23 AM

Samsung Tech did not fix

I have the same problem with a Samsung UN48J6300 bought this spring. It started in the last 2 days after the 1430 software/firmware upgrade. Worked with Samsung Tech Support, including Remote Management folks, yesterday. They totally reset the TV and ran diagnostics on the HDMI ports. It did not fix the problem. The lady that I dealt with claimed that the HDMI port tests showed them to be working correctly! I insisted that having to remove power from the TV each time that I wanted to use it was not "working correctly". She escalated to her supervisor and then said that they would have a local tech call me to setup a visit. She did not mention anything about a problem with the 1430 software/firmware. Perhaps she did not know about it....
post #8 of 82 Old 11-28-2015, 08:05 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I have a js900 and will watching Netflix the screen went black and the icon for sound came on a when to tv mode (air). Software 1422.
post #9 of 82 Old 11-28-2015, 08:25 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Same issue here

If TV is turned off via remote or timer the HDMI inputs show on TV as Pink screen(cable box) or Black screen(Apple TV). Doesn't matter which HDMI inputs are used. Cable input will still work. Haven't tried Componet inputs.

Needs to be unplugged and back in for HDMI inputs to work.

Samsung TV UN40J6300AFXZA

Firmware 1430

Purchased at Best Buy 6-20-15

Worked fine until a couple days ago

Samsung Tech via Chat said I need HDMI 2.0 cables. I have not tried that yet. If anyone has please chime in.
post #10 of 82 Old 11-28-2015, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriscoCountyJr View Post
Quote:
Yes - thats the problem exactly.
Did it start just in the last few days?
What model Samsung HDTV do you have and whats the current firmware version #?
Yes the problem start a few days ago and I have firmware v1430.
post #11 of 82 Old 11-28-2015, 10:46 AM

Same issue here

Tv HDMI ports stopped responding when software/firmware update occurred on 11/25-11/26. Only fix is to unplug/replug every time.

model UN40J6300AFXZA

Firmware 1430.9

Haven't been able to get through to tech support. Must be overwhelmed. Please post if anyone learns anything.
post #12 of 82 Old 11-28-2015, 11:08 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Same problem here. Started around 11:00 on the 25th. Been dealing with it since. Only thing that works is the "soft" reset. Unplug the tv and wit a few minutes, then plug it back in.

I have a UN60J6300 purchased 06/22/2015 from HHGregg.

Just like petergator, I went through Samsung remote management. She said that she had not heard of any problems. However, she was very thorough and we went through a lot of "motions" to troubleshoot. We hooked up component cables and the tv worked. She had me reboot my network. She did not have me do a factory reset because I had already done one. After spending about 1 1/2 hours on the phone, she said they had heard from Samsung corporate that there "may" be an issue. She forwarded all my info to Samsung and said she was using all of this troubleshooting we went through and recorded as the "starting point" for Samsung to correct it.

She said that Samsung should have a software/firmware update with 24 hours. She said it will come out automatically. Of course, she also said if it did not straighten out within 48 hours to call back.

Just a little info...
post #13 of 82 Old 11-28-2015, 11:44 AM
Lionheart of AVS

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 1796 Post(s)
Liked: 4366
Quote:
Originally Posted by bshep604 View Post
...Samsung Tech via Chat said I need HDMI 2.0 cables.

There is no such thing as a "HDMI 2.0 cable".

"HDMI 2.0" is a connection spec. NOT a cable spec.

ANY "High-Speed/Category 2" cable will work just fine.

QUOTE:
"The High Speed HDMI cable is designed and tested to handle video resolutions of 1080p and beyond, including advanced display technologies such as 4K, 3D, and Deep Color." (hdmi.org)

The Samsung Tech had no idea what he/she was talking about.

Richard

Last edited by King Richard; 11-28-2015 at 12:16 PM.
post #14 of 82 Old 11-28-2015, 12:20 PM

HDMI Port Issue

I too have a 2015 32 inch Samsung TV UN32J5500 that has firmware 1430 installed. About 3 days ago I found that I lost my HDMI signal. I have done the factory reset and I see that Samsung's support webpage has something with 11/27/2015 listing an issue similar to what we have. As I have the most recent firmware installed I am not sure how redirecting me to install it solves the problem. Samsung has suggested I unplug the TV which is something I have already done. And then, replug it in. Hardly a "smart" solution.

I have checked all the HDMI ports, swapped cables, swapped cable boxes, etc. to no avail. I now run the TV through the AV ports so that I don't have the kids constantly plugging and unplugging the TV.

So for all those who are told to do a factory reset, etc., don't be surprised if you have to reload all of your apps and your internet settings only to find it did not fix the situation. Please note the directions on how to update firmware on Samsung's website is from 2012. My set does not allow me to update from a USB drive.

And for those HDMI cables, they seem to work fine on my other TVs but not the Samsung; therefore, I do not believe they can be instantly faulty.

Samsung's latest reply to me of how to resolve the issue was basically a restatement of what I told them I had done already.
post #15 of 82 Old 11-28-2015, 01:49 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Richard View Post
There is no such thing as a "HDMI 2.0 cable".

"HDMI 2.0" is a connection spec. NOT a cable spec.

ANY "High-Speed/Category 2" cable will work just fine.

QUOTE:
"The High Speed HDMI cable is designed and tested to handle video resolutions of 1080p and beyond, including advanced display technologies such as 4K, 3D, and Deep Color." (hdmi.org)

The Samsung Tech had no idea what he/she was talking about.

Richard
Thats pretty much what I thought. Thats why I did not run out and buy new cables. However I thought it may be something I should mention.

So I guess we wait for a firmware update.
post #16 of 82 Old 11-28-2015, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshep604 View Post
Thats pretty much what I thought. Thats why I did not run out and buy new cables. However I thought it may be something I should mention.

So I guess we wait for a firmware update.
Its not the HDMI cables, its a bug introduced in the new firmware update a few days ago (v1430). My cables and external HDMI devices have worked fine for months before that update and they still work fine if I reset the TV by unplugging the power cord.

It appears the new firmware update (v1430) has a bug in that when the TV goes into standby mode (power off with the remote) the HDMI interface in the TV goes to sleep and the problem is it doesn't wake up properly now when the TV comes out of standby with the remote. Only unplugging the TV apparently now resets the HDMI hardware to wake up.

Hopefully as posted, Samsung is quickly working on a new firmware release to fix this bug.

If anyone has a link to the Samsung support website page where this HDMI port issue might be listed please post it here.
post #17 of 82 Old 11-28-2015, 02:41 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Its not the HDMI cables, its a bug introduced in the new firmware update a few days ago (v1430). My cables and external HDMI devices have worked fine for months before that update and they still work fine if I reset the TV by unplugging the power cord.

It appears the new firmware update (v1430) has a bug in that when the TV goes into standby mode (power off with the remote) the HDMI interface in the TV goes to sleep and the problem is it doesn't wake up properly now when the TV comes out of standby with the remote. Only unplugging the TV apparently now resets the HDMI hardware to wake up.

Hopefully as posted, Samsung is quickly working on a new firmware release to fix this bug.

If anyone has a link to the Samsung support website page where this HDMI port issue might be listed please post it here.
I have the Samsung 55" JU7100 and did not even get the 1430 firmware yet, and had the same exact thing happen. I thought my PC was not working, but then when I turned my cable box on, no picture but all I got was sound.

I fixed it by unplugging the one-connect mini box from the TV and plugging it back in. Now everything is working like it should without issues. Weird bug!

I am on firmware 1422 at the moment. I feel better, TV/PC/Cable box not fried!

Samsung 55" JU7100 calibrated picture settings:
Cal-Day Daylight: **Updated 12/22/2015**

Cal-Night/Dark:
post #18 of 82 Old 11-28-2015, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchonX View Post
I have the Samsung 55" JU7100 and did not even get the 1430 firmware yet, and had the same exact thing happen. I thought my PC was not working, but then when I turned my cable box on, no picture but all I got was sound.

I fixed it by unplugging the one-connect mini box from the TV and plugging it back in. Now everything is working like it should without issues. Weird bug!

I am on firmware 1422 at the moment. I feel better, TV/PC/Cable box not fried!
The JU7100 4K HDTV isn't listed in the Samsung firmware list listed above, so your model may not get this particular buggy v1430.
Your issue with the mini box is probably a separate issue for that model, since the 1080p models like the J6300 don't have that.
Hopefully you don't have to keep unplugging/replugging the mini box frequently.
post #19 of 82 Old 11-28-2015, 02:54 PM

Quote:
The JU7100 4K HDTV isn't listed in the Samsung firmware list listed above, so your model may not get this particular buggy v1430.
Your issue with the mini box is probably a separate issue for that model, since the 1080p models like the J6300 don't have that.
Hopefully you don't have to keep unplugging/replugging the mini box frequently.
There are reports on the JU7100 thread that some people got it already on the JU7100. Just weird that this issue happens to me and I had a similar issue to the 1430 reports, but on the Oct 25 1422 firmware. Never have had one issue with the TV (other than occasional Netflix/Youtube Tizen crashes) until this morning.

I have powered it down and turned it back on and no issues, knock on wood. I will keep everyone posted in case I run into any more issues.

Cal-Night/Dark:
post #20 of 82 Old 11-28-2015, 02:55 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 18
If you turn off the quick power up option or the Anynet HDMI-CEC does the problem still persist? The issue I'm having is when first turned on the TV keeps changing the Yamaha AVR to the ARC channel and I lose sound. If I turn off the Anynet then the built-in speakers turn on. The only fix it seems is to run optical to AVR for the built in apps.
post #21 of 82 Old 11-28-2015, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley Dude View Post
If you turn off the quick power up option or the Anynet HDMI-CEC does the problem still persist? The issue I'm having is when first turned on the TV keeps changing the Yamaha AVR to the ARC channel and I lose sound. If I turn off the Anynet then the built-in speakers turn on. The only fix it seems is to run optical to AVR for the built in apps.
I have Quick Power On set to off, and I have always shut off Anynet on all of my Samsung TV's. It always seems to cause issues with something.

Cal-Night/Dark:
post #22 of 82 Old 11-28-2015, 03:16 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Thumbs down NewFirmware HDMI Issues

Purchased a 2015 UN40J6300AFXZA Nov.27th. problem when viewing a channel the display often goes black, Smart icon then comes on with the Smart Hub icons appearing.The channel then returns to normal until the next occurrence. Problem seems different from other comments.My set responds like tv is intermittently shutting and restarting.Firmware is V-1430. Did experience the HDMI Issue but that condition has refused to occur since I reset tv and other efforts. Hopefully Samsung will address this problem quickly.

Last edited by briar14; 11-29-2015 at 04:56 AM.
post #23 of 82 Old 11-28-2015, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley Dude View Post
I experimented with those settings a couple days ago and no they had no effect on the HDMI port issue. Nothing helped except for resetting the TV by unplugging the power cord since the v1430 firmware update a few days ago...
post #24 of 82 Old 11-29-2015, 08:26 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Same issue after 1430 firmware update. I have UN75J630D. Need to power cycle for HDMI to detect signal.
post #25 of 82 Old 11-29-2015, 04:48 PM

Got a call from Samsung that they are aware of the problem and they would release a fix in the next 40-48 hours. I think someone from this forum got the same answer.
post #26 of 82 Old 11-29-2015, 07:34 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Besides the whole not letting the tv power on thing, any idea what this firmware update actually improves?
post #27 of 82 Old 11-29-2015, 11:07 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Got a call from Samsung that they are aware of the problem and they would release a fix in the next 40-48 hours.
so the clock is ticking...
Perhaps released on Tue 12/1?
post #28 of 82 Old 11-29-2015, 11:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Got a call from Samsung that they are aware of the problem and they would release a fix in the next 40-48 hours. I think someone from this forum got the same answer.
Yeah, it was me. Still haven't seen any change at all.

I saw on another forum that Samsung told someone else that they are aware of the issue, however, they have no eta for a fix.

That's different from what I and others were told. But I must admit, I have not had the best of luck with Samsung when it comes to customer service with other devices. They say one thing and do another...

I guess we'll see.
post #29 of 82 Old 11-30-2015, 07:14 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just had Directv to see why my genie mini stopped working. While they were trying to figure out what the issue was, I found this post.

Sure enough removing the power does fix it. I have a J6300.
post #30 of 82 Old 11-30-2015, 09:09 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Has anyone tried turning off "Samsung Instant On" in Menu -> System -> General ?

I own a 75" and 65" JU7100 and I've had this turned off since the early firmware versions as it resolved some of the app issues I was having. I'm not having this HDMI issue on my 75" that has the 1430 firmware.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page