**OFFICIAL** Samsung UNxxJU6400 Owners Thread - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 22 Old 12-20-2015, 07:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 13
**OFFICIAL** Samsung UNxxJU6400 Owners Thread

I don't see one for this TV yet, so creating this thread.

I got the UN40JU6400
Panel is a UH02 (Samsung)
Firmware as of 12/18/15 is 1422
Purchased from Fry's

This series is rated #11 out of 40 tested on rtings.com under Best picture quality LED TVs of 2015.

For me this will be a bedroom TV and mostly watched at night when dark. I used the settings from RTINGS.COM. It might be a little bright for me at night, so I may lower the brightness but for now this is what I have for ease of seeing.

--Picture menu--
Mode: MOVIE
Backlight: 6
Contrast: 95
Brightness: 45
Sharpness: 0
Color: 50
Tint: G50/R50

--Advanced settings--
Dynamic contrast: Off
Black tone: Off
Flesh tone: 0
RGB Only Mode: Off
Color space: Custom [see below]
White Balance: [see below]
Gamma: 0

--Color Space--
Color Space: Custom
Red: Red 51, Green 0, Blue 2
Green: Red 8, Green 49, Blue 7
Blue: Red 0, Green 6, Blue 50
Yellow: Red 51, Green 47, Blue 9
Cyan: Red 6, Green 51, Blue 51
Magenta: Red 49, Green 5, Blue 49

--White balance--
2 Point:
R-Offset: 8
G-Offset: 9
B-Offset: 12
R-Gain: 9
G-Gain: 1
B-Gain: 12

10 Point:
10%: Red -36, Green -42, Blue -50
20%: Red 16, Green 14, Blue -3
30%: Red 20, Green 22, Blue 17
40%: Red 4, Green 4, Blue -13
50%: Red 2, Green -3, Blue -17
60%: Red 0, Green -5, Blue -17
70%: Red 3, Green 4, Blue -10
80%: Red 1, Green -2, Blue -13
90%: Red -2, Green 0, Blue -16
100%: Red 0, Green 0, Blue -12

--Picture options--
Color tone: Warm2
Digital Clean View: Off
MPEG Noise Filter: Off
HDMI black level: Auto
Film mode: Off
Auto Motion Plus: Off

--Eco Solution--
Energy Saving: Off
Eco Sensor: Off
No Signal Power Off: 15 min.
Auto Power Off: Off
Motion Lighting: Off

--General--
Game Mode: Off
BD Wise: On
Sound Feedback: Low
Panel Lock: Off
Boot Logo: Off
Samsung Instant On: Off
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 12-20-2015, 07:15 AM - Thread Starter

One concern I have so far, is there a way to turn off the Red power light when the TV is off? With it being in the bedroom, it is annoying at night. I have looked through the menu and haven't found anything yet. Could this possibly have to be done in the service menu? This might be the same on all JU series but I haven't searched yet.

Might have to end up using the tape trick .
post #3 of 22 Old 12-21-2015, 05:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Richard View Post
I don't think it can be turned off.

Stay out of the service menu!!! You can really mess up your TV.

That's what I would do.

I just talked to support on Samsung chat and they said all 2015 models are like that. I find that hard to believe. Also weird that I would think a lot of the 40"-48" models go in bedrooms and that no one else finds this annoying.

Tape worked but then blocks IR signals. I hate to try it, but if I used a black sharpie I wonder if that would block out the red enough but not interfere with the IR?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 12-22-2015, 12:51 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
/subscribe
post #5 of 22 Old 01-12-2016, 10:50 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Im having some issues with this TV, i started a thread about. Here is the post "I am having an issue with my samsung JU6400. I am using this for gaming, so I always have game mode on to reduce input lag. However, there is an issue in doing this. When I turn the TV on, after leaving game mode on, there is a slight amount of noticeable input lag, disorienting when playing first person shooters. However, I can fix the lag by turning game mode off, and then back on. After doing this the lag seemingly disappears. This is a nuisance because I have to redo this every time i turn my tv on. And my sister also has the UN60JU6390 and does not have this issue, i tested it."

If anyone can comfirm or deny whether this is a problem with their TV, it would be greatly appreciated. If its a software problem I would bear to wait, if not I cant help but want to return it.
post #6 of 22 Old 01-16-2016, 02:46 PM

55" Owner

I picked up the 55" over the holidays for $720. One thing to note with the JU6400 is the 55" version has an PLS(IPS) panel, where as the other sizes seem to all have VA panels.

I'm mainly gaming on mine, from about 3-4' away, via a PC and Xbox One. It was nice to get rid of the screen door effect of my 43" Samsung plasma (2011) while sitting this close. I have nothing but good things to say about this TV. The picture is great (once calibrated), and the 6.8ms response time is phenomenal, with just 26ms input lag.

If it did 4K @ 4:4:4 @ 60 it would be the perfect budget 4K monitor.

I haven't noticed any problems with input lag in game mode as suggested. However I run mine in PC Mode 24/7 (35ms lag).

I'm looking forward to driving this thing with the new Samsung UHD Blu-ray player soon.

Does anyone know how many dimming zones are available on this series? I'm curious as to what effect, if any, HDR will have on these lower end 4K TVs
post #7 of 22 Old 01-20-2016, 09:35 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I picked up the 65" model of this TV today, to be delivered on Tuesday. It was on sale for $1599 at BB, however, Tiger Direct had it on sale for $1197, and BB matched the price! I couldn't pass that up. BB didn't have one in the store that I could view, but I watched a 60" at Wal-mart, and it seems to have a great picture. It will be replacing a 4 year old 55" LG in the living room. I had been looking for something bigger, and patience pays off. And if it doesn't live up to Samsung quality, back it goes.
post #8 of 22 Old 01-25-2016, 10:01 AM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Does anyone know if the picture mode can be set via a remote code, such that a Harmony remote could do it as part of an activity? The example use would be a PS4 as both the Blu-Ray and and video game player. It's likely I'd want one setting for movies and one for playing games.

Thanks!
post #9 of 22 Old 02-05-2016, 11:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 474 Post(s)
Liked: 426
Anyone else get this TV that offer some thoughts on it? My primary use for a TV is sports, regular TV shows via DirecTV and Chromecast, and movies. I understand the contrast ratio may not be the best, especially for movies, but is great for most other things including viewing angle. The other set I'm looking at is the Sony Sony XBR55X810C.
post #10 of 22 Old 02-08-2016, 03:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 739 Post(s)
Liked: 662
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebo51 View Post
I don't see one for this TV yet, so creating this thread.

I got the UN40JU6400
Panel is a UH02 (Samsung)
Firmware as of 12/18/15 is 1422
Purchased from Fry's

This series is rated #11 out of 40 tested on rtings.com under Best picture quality LED TVs of 2015.

For me this will be a bedroom TV and mostly watched at night when dark. I used the settings from RTINGS.COM. It might be a little bright for me at night, so I may lower the brightness but for now this is what I have for ease of seeing.

--Picture menu--
Mode: MOVIE
Backlight: 6
Contrast: 95
Brightness: 45
Sharpness: 0
Color: 50
Tint: G50/R50

--Advanced settings--
Dynamic contrast: Off
Black tone: Off
Flesh tone: 0
RGB Only Mode: Off
Color space: Custom [see below]
White Balance: [see below]
Gamma: 0

--Color Space--
Color Space: Custom
Red: Red 51, Green 0, Blue 2
Green: Red 8, Green 49, Blue 7
Blue: Red 0, Green 6, Blue 50
Yellow: Red 51, Green 47, Blue 9
Cyan: Red 6, Green 51, Blue 51
Magenta: Red 49, Green 5, Blue 49

--White balance--
2 Point:
R-Offset: 8
G-Offset: 9
B-Offset: 12
R-Gain: 9
G-Gain: 1
B-Gain: 12

10 Point:
10%: Red -36, Green -42, Blue -50
20%: Red 16, Green 14, Blue -3
30%: Red 20, Green 22, Blue 17
40%: Red 4, Green 4, Blue -13
50%: Red 2, Green -3, Blue -17
60%: Red 0, Green -5, Blue -17
70%: Red 3, Green 4, Blue -10
80%: Red 1, Green -2, Blue -13
90%: Red -2, Green 0, Blue -16
100%: Red 0, Green 0, Blue -12

--Picture options--
Color tone: Warm2
Digital Clean View: Off
MPEG Noise Filter: Off
HDMI black level: Auto
Film mode: Off
Auto Motion Plus: Off

--Eco Solution--
Energy Saving: Off
Eco Sensor: Off
No Signal Power Off: 15 min.
Auto Power Off: Off
Motion Lighting: Off

--General--
Game Mode: Off
BD Wise: On
Sound Feedback: Low
Panel Lock: Off
Boot Logo: Off
Samsung Instant On: Off
How is the motion performance on this TV? I am using it for blu-ray and PS4 gaming. Have you noticed any smearing or overdrive trailing in panning shots?
post #11 of 22 Old 02-18-2016, 07:21 AM
jhx

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Judder/contrast issues

The 55 inch version of this is now $699 at Walmart. I was about to pull the trigger but did a bit of of research and both rtings says "This isn't a good TV for watching movies in a dim room. The contrast is very low and the blacks will appear gray. The TV also has judder on 24p source". 4k.com also mentions judder issues.

Given that I'll be using this watch movies in a dark room, I'm concerned. My source will be primarily streaming (netflix etc.) rather than DVDs.

Can current owners, particularly of the 55 inch version, comment on how bothersome these issues are?

Thanks.
post #12 of 22 Old 02-18-2016, 07:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 474 Post(s)
Liked: 426
I saw that and would like to know the same thing.
post #13 of 22 Old 04-11-2016, 01:54 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I bought a refurbished UN40JU6400 off eBay for something like $425. I love it. Makes the 37" 1080p Vizio it replaced look 'gritty'. It's also very nice that it can play HEVC video off a USB drive.

Support for a Logitech K400r is spotty. Some apps don't work with it at all. In some text entry fields on web pages with the built in browser, only the onscreen keyboard works.

Saturday I found a highly annoying "feature" when I connected an Altec Lansing amplified 5.1 speaker system. For one, it's a surround setup that has two 3.5mm jacks, one for the rear and one for the front and sub. (Formerly plugged into one very expensive high end Soundblaster that a BSU student *threw away*.) So I plugged that one in. Sounded good, even without rear speakers.

Then I pressed the up volume button on the TV remote. The numbers click up but no change in volume. I find the speaker list setting and it's set to internal, out of which no sound is coming, so I switch it to external and see that trying the volume buttons still do nothing, not even showing numbers on screen.
I peruse the e-manual's section on audio and read that the analog audio output's volume isn't affected by the TV's volume control, not even mute. WHAT. THE. FRELL! This is a stupid 'feature' for a 'smart' TV. I'm supposed to have an audio system with its own, separate volume remote?

What about the optical audio output? If the TV remote can't control it either, then it and the analog out are next thing to useless, or at least rather inconvenient. If the optical out is controllable, then I'm on the hunt for a good but sanely priced speaker system with optical input.

Or am I right in guessing that the only addon audio equipment that the TV will control the volume of is stuff that connects via WiFi, Bluetooth or Ethernet and has SAMSUNG on it, and will make me have to twiddle the audio delay setting to adjust for network lag?

It's about enough to make me pine for my old Magnaxox 720p TV where all I had to do to pump up the audio was unhook the external wires to its own speakers and clip in wires to a pair of bigger, nicer speakers. Let's hear it for simple solutions that aren't hobbled by dumb software and/or hardware limitations. Or an extreme solution, open up the TV and install a pair of external speaker jacks. Then I could plug in the speakers I used with the Magnavox.
post #14 of 22 Old 04-29-2016, 04:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Shankenstein View Post
How is the motion performance on this TV? I am using it for blu-ray and PS4 gaming. Have you noticed any smearing or overdrive trailing in panning shots?
Sorry, as you can tell I don't visit these forums much. Mine is in my bedroom and I just watch regular TV mostly as I'm falling asleep, so maybe 30 mins at most a night. So not a lot of time watching it. I have streamed some netflix to it over wireless using the built in app and all seemed to work fine for me. I have also hooked a laptop up to it and played some TV series on DVDs, again did find for my needs. They are old probably 480p DVDs.

I found a better way to block out that annoying red light that stays on when the TV is off. When I get some time I will post some pictures. Basically I took the back panel off which gives access to that small area. Then one very small screw allows you to remove it. I put a little piece of electrical tape over the red LED. Didn't interfere with remote functions. The has now peeled a little so there is a little red light now bleeding through at night but not bad at all. I need to open it back up and maybe try something else. Black marker, white out or something along those lines might work better. At least for now it still cuts it way down.
post #15 of 22 Old 04-29-2016, 06:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1344 Post(s)
Liked: 1029
Quote:
Sorry, as you can tell I don't visit these forums much. Mine is in my bedroom and I just watch regular TV mostly as I'm falling asleep, so maybe 30 mins at most a night. So not a lot of time watching it. I have streamed some netflix to it over wireless using the built in app and all seemed to work fine for me. I have also hooked a laptop up to it and played some TV series on DVDs, again did find for my needs. They are old probably 480p DVDs.

I found a better way to block out that annoying red light that stays on when the TV is off. When I get some time I will post some pictures. Basically I took the back panel off which gives access to that small area. Then one very small screw allows you to remove it. I put a little piece of electrical tape over the red LED. Didn't interfere with remote functions. The has now peeled a little so there is a little red light now bleeding through at night but not bad at all. I need to open it back up and maybe try something else. Black marker, white out or something along those lines might work better. At least for now it still cuts it way down.
May be a setting in service menu top turn the light off. I seen to remember seeing it there.

Viper32

Current Sets: Sony XBR65A9F Master Series, Sony XBR75X940C, Sony XBR75X940D, Samsung UN65KS9800, TCL 65R617
Previous Sets: Samsung Q9FN, Sony XBR65X930D, XBR65X900B, XBR49X830C, Samsung KS8000, KU6500, UN55KS8500, UN49JS8500, JS9000, JU7090, JU6500, JU6400, HU9000, HU7250, PN64F8500, Vizio P65, LG 65EF9500, LG 55EC9300, Hisense 55H8C, TCL P-Series (55P607)
post #16 of 22 Old 06-21-2016, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper32 View Post
May be a setting in service menu top turn the light off. I seen to remember seeing it there.

Viper32
If you can remember or have the time can you go in and look and post back what it is?

Thanks
post #17 of 22 Old 08-14-2016, 11:32 AM

Liked: 10
Good Afternoon,

Earlier this year I picked up the UN55JU6400 TV and have been quite pleased with it, however with recently changing jobs (both my wife and I), going back to school, & moving. I just haven't had enough time to really dive into configuring this TV until now. I've read through the manual on the TV and by all accounts I "should" be setup ok but I'm still not able to stream any 4K content it only comes in @1080p .

What I have:

50meg download from ATT Uverse
2nd Gen Amazon Fire TV capable of streaming 4k

It is hardwired to my router with cat 6 ethernet along with an HDMI cable that supports 4k resolutions.

and according to Amazon I have the right recipe for 4k but still just seeing 1080p (at least that is what is showing up on screen).

I bought The Da Vinci Code in Ultra HD but don't feel like it's any better than 1080p.

I've tried all 3 HDMI ports and currently connected to HDMI 2 (MHL Port).

I've been messing with this for the last couple of weeks and can't seem to figure out how to get 4k resolution.

Any suggestions/thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

I do not have the UHD options under "picture options" in settings but the manual says that this model TV won't have that.

am I missing something?

Thank you
post #18 of 22 Old 10-11-2016, 11:59 PM

How do I get into the service menu and extended service menu on a UN40JU6400?

I'd like to see if some of the features Samsung won't let north americans have can be enabled.
post #19 of 22 Old 11-22-2016, 05:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzybody View Post
How do I get into the service menu and extended service menu on a UN40JU6400?

I'd like to see if some of the features Samsung won't let north americans have can be enabled.
Not sure if you have figured it out yet, Mute 1 8 2 power maybe if I recall. If not, search this forum/internet. The solution is out there. I think it is the same for most Samsung smart TVs.
post #20 of 22 Old 11-22-2016, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Not sure if you have figured it out yet, Mute 1 8 2 power maybe if I recall. If not, search this forum/internet. The solution is out there. I think it is the same for most Samsung smart TVs.
Press them all together? With TV on?
post #21 of 22 Old 11-24-2016, 05:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper32 View Post
Viper32
Just checked again and no luck. There are two settings that look like it might do the trick but doesn't. One is Option -> Engineer Option -> Standby led on/off. Default is on and I set it to off, no luck.
The other was something like Bezzel light support or something and I can't recall exactly where it was. Default was off. I turned it on and no difference. I even went into the regular Menu with TV on to see if it enable a new option and nothing else was there. So it seems it just can't be done and not sure if a firmware update would ever be able to control it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzybody View Post
Press them all together? With TV on?
Yes, push them all at once and rotate counter clockwise three times while standing on one foot . haha if you do that please post a video.
Press them in secession. Mute -> 1 -> 8 -> 2 -> Power. Normal speed, no need to do it really fast. Use arrows on remote to navigate, center button to enter menus and back/return button to go back. Only use up/down arrows to navigate, Left/Right arrows change values on selected items. There is no save, changes are instant. To exit all together just power off. Do this at your own risk, if you hit a wrong button or my above directions aren't 100% don't blame me.
Also just going into the service menu and exiting without making any changes will reset all your TV settings, so you will need to go set those all back up. Kinda sucks.
post #22 of 22 Old 05-16-2017, 12:22 PM

Hello do u have a calibration settings for the ue50ju6400??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page