Official LG 55/60/65/75 UH8500 Thread - Page 119 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1406Likes

post #3541 of 3639 Old 10-17-2018, 04:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I also have no issues with my PS4 Pro. I originally had it going directly into HDMI 3 on the TV, now through my Denon receiver, still works fine. I used to have an issue with my XBOX One S when starting a 4K movie disc, but that was fixed several firmware revisions ago.

Are you running the latest firmware on the TV? You may have to apply it manually with a USB stick. My TV never sees the updates trying to check itself, no idea why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gino81 View Post
Hey guys, not sure if anyone else has experienced this issue. I had this Tv for a couple of years. So far, its been okay. I got me a ps4 pro maybe like 6 months ago. So every time i play a game in HDR mode, i lose signal. So i had to either restart the tv or unplug the hdmi cable and plug it back in. I tried different cables, different hdmi outputs but it keeps happening. It happens at least once
a day. Could it be the tv or the ps4?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3542 of 3639 Old 10-17-2018, 08:41 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gino81 View Post
Hey guys, not sure if anyone else has experienced this issue. I had this Tv for a couple of years. So far, its been okay. I got me a ps4 pro maybe like 6 months ago. So every time i play a game in HDR mode, i lose signal. So i had to either restart the tv or unplug the hdmi cable and plug it back in. I tried different cables, different hdmi outputs but it keeps happening. It happens at least once a day. Could it be the tv or the ps4?
I have more issues with my PS4 pro and this TV than any other device, even the Apple TV 4k. Occasionally, I get the white snow screen when I'm using my PS4 Pro. Switching inputs seem to solve the issue, but it does happen at least once per game playing session. I do have it connected via an Onkyo TX-NR676 receiver and not directly to the TV. Switching cables does not seem to help, so I've learned to deal with it. Also, my PS4 Pro is one of the launch editions when it was first released.
post #3543 of 3639 Old 10-17-2018, 11:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 574 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwincy View Post
I have more issues with my PS4 pro and this TV than any other device, even the Apple TV 4k. Occasionally, I get the white snow screen when I'm using my PS4 Pro. Switching inputs seem to solve the issue, but it does happen at least once per game playing session. I do have it connected via an Onkyo TX-NR676 receiver and not directly to the TV. Switching cables does not seem to help, so I've learned to deal with it. Also, my PS4 Pro is one of the launch editions when it was first released.

have you checked the forums for the Onkyo receiver, to see if it needs a firmware upgrade? also, recommend to use premium certified (18gbps) hdmi cables from ps4/AT4K --> Onkyo and Onkyo --> TV
also, any hdmi-related options need to be enabled on the receiver?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3544 of 3639 Old 10-17-2018, 07:02 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrocker23 View Post
Sounds like the ps4 if you have tried different cables and inputs. I have a PS4 pro and no issues.

Are you running the ps4 through an AV receiver?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Im running it through the Samsung soundbar
post #3545 of 3639 Old 10-18-2018, 04:51 AM

I would try, temporarily, to go directly into the TV and see if the problem persists, if you haven’t already. I have a personal opinion and experience with Onkyo receivers that I’ll keep to myself, lol. Short version, 3 them failed right outside their warranties in the past 10 years. I used to be their biggest fan. Not anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthJersey View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwincy View Post
I have more issues with my PS4 pro and this TV than any other device, even the Apple TV 4k. Occasionally, I get the white snow screen when I'm using my PS4 Pro. Switching inputs seem to solve the issue, but it does happen at least once per game playing session. I do have it connected via an Onkyo TX-NR676 receiver and not directly to the TV. Switching cables does not sem to help, so I've learned to deal with it. Also, my PS4 Pro is one of the launch editions when it was first released.

have you checked the forums for the Onkyo

receiver, to see if it needs a firmware upgrade? also, recommend to use premium certified (18gbps) hdmi cables from ps4/AT4K --> Onkyo and Onkyo --> TV
post #3546 of 3639 Old 10-18-2018, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthJersey View Post
have you checked the forums for the Onkyo receiver, to see if it needs a firmware upgrade? also, recommend to use premium certified (18gbps) hdmi cables from ps4/AT4K --> Onkyo and Onkyo --> TV
I've switched cables from my other 4K devices and the problems persists. I don't use thee PS4 Pro that often so it doesn't bother me that much. I'll buy another cable to be sure, but I recently bought some Amazon basics cables for my Apple TV 4k, and it has a test to make sure the cables are good. All of them have passed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbongo View Post
I would try, temporarily, to go directly into the TV and see if the problem persists, if you haven’t already. I have a personal opinion and experience with Onkyo receivers that I’ll keep to myself, lol. Short version, 3 them failed right outside their warranties in the past 10 years. I used to be their biggest fan. Not anymore.
This behavior has persisted across my last two Onkyos, but as I mentioned above, I'll re-check my newly purchased Amazon basics cables. I'll also try out connecting it directly to the TV.
post #3547 of 3639 Old 10-21-2018, 05:53 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Wifi issue finally fixed by replacing both the main board and the wifi module. Currently tv is on firmware 5.30.02. TV keeps wanting to update, but I choose to cancel in fear it will bring back my wifi not working issue again.

Anyone have feedback on whether or not I should update my firmware? Or how I can stop the TV from reporting on update is available?
post #3548 of 3639 Old 10-22-2018, 12:29 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by rculver View Post
Wifi issue finally fixed by replacing both the main board and the wifi module. Currently tv is on firmware 5.30.02. TV keeps wanting to update, but I choose to cancel in fear it will bring back my wifi not working issue again.

Anyone have feedback on whether or not I should update my firmware? Or how I can stop the TV from reporting on update is available?
Update seems to work fine for me, i'm on the latest and no complaints.
post #3549 of 3639 Old 10-22-2018, 12:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Anyone have 3D handshake issues on the Xbox One? My PS4 doesn't seem to have this issue but the Xbox One X seems to lose signal when switching to 3D.

Also, REALLY hope LG can provide us with the Dolby Vision update needed to work with the new Xbox One update.
post #3550 of 3639 Old 10-22-2018, 12:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 916 Post(s)
Liked: 887
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercennarius View Post
Anyone have 3D handshake issues on the Xbox One? My PS4 doesn't seem to have this issue but the Xbox One X seems to lose signal when switching to 3D.

Also, REALLY hope LG can provide us with the Dolby Vision update needed to work with the new Xbox One update.
I spoke with LG on the phone Friday. The 2016 OLED models are still undecided but they said it's not a No yet at this point unfortunately my 55UH8500 will not be updated they said. They pretty much said they weren't looking at that model.

mercennarius likes this.

Living Room: LG OLED65C9, AVR Pioneer SC-LX502, Xbox One X, PS4 Pro, Nintendo Switch
Bedrooms: LG OLED65C8, LG OLED55C6, LG Soundbar NB3530A, Xbox One X
LG C6PUA Firmware Link https://www.lg.com/us/support/product/lg-OLED55C6P.AUS
LG C8PUA Firmware Link https://www.lg.com/us/support-produc...5C8PUA#manuals
LG C9PUA/AUA Firmware Link https://www.lg.com/us/support/produc...LED65C9PUA.AUS
post #3551 of 3639 Old 10-23-2018, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Nope but I have had issues with my XBox One X not able to play 3D properly on my 55UH8500 with certain 3D Blu-ray movies. Specifically, Guardians of the Galaxy 3D Blu-ray. It loads up the main menu just fine but once I hit play and it switches to 3D on the TV the screen goes black and it just plays the audio. However, I assume this is an issue with the Blu-ray app on the XBox One X needing updating and not anything with the TV.
post #3552 of 3639 Old 10-24-2018, 12:31 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Mine has had a similar problem with Dolby Vision a couple times- the indicator shows onscreen but just a black screen. Switching inputs brings it back. Once when doing this, it even went to a black screen on some TV stations but picture would come back changing channels back and forth. That had me scared a bit but I unplugged the TV for a few hours and hasn't done that again. Never had a problem with it displaying 3D, which was the main thing I bought it for- shame on LG for dropping it from their newer sets!
post #3553 of 3639 Old 10-24-2018, 03:59 AM

I also have 3D handshake issues with my One S, since I bought the TV over a year ago. It only happens on certain movies. I also have a PS4 Pro, so I use that for everything but 4K discs and it works flawlessly. I reported this issue to Microsoft in detail, and was always told “were working on it”, but there’s been at least 4 system updates over the last year and the problem still persists. It is definitely the Xbox’s fault, not the TV which was my initial concern.

Quote:

post #3554 of 3639 Old 10-24-2018, 07:13 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrocker23 View Post
I spoke with LG on the phone Friday. The 2016 OLED models are still undecided but they said it's not a No yet at this point unfortunately my 55UH8500 will not be updated they said. They pretty much said they weren't looking at that model.

I'm wondering if this also applies to the UH9500 (UH950V in EU).
post #3555 of 3639 Old 10-28-2018, 05:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Does anyone know if I connect the 75UH8500 to a non-HDR capable, 2015 era 4k UHD Marantz receiver via the TV's HDMI 2(ARC) input, would that connection's EDID somehow disable the internal TV apps like Amazon Prime video and Netflix from playing in HDR/Dolby Vision?

In other words: I know I can't pass an ATV 4K or other HDR/DV capable device via HDMI inputs thru the receiver and retain HDR, but if I just want to use the internal TV apps at highest quality w/ HDR and the HDMI ARC passes audio back to the receiver for sound playback, is that viable?

Also I noticed the Apple TV 4K only can go to 30Hz on Dolby Vision, but 60 on HDR. Is that true of other media players too? Is 30 fps w/ DV (considering the programming/sources of Dolby Vision that is easily available) worth it or is HDR/60 a better experience for most?

Was debating an Nvidia Shield 4k but lack of DV had me considering elsewhere, but if the TV would be limited to 30Hz on most any HDMI connected Dolby Vision media player, not sure if worth worrying about? Do the internal apps that can do DV support 60Hz? Is the DV content out there even made at 60Hz?
post #3556 of 3639 Old 10-28-2018, 11:43 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 26
No, the internal apps do not care what is hooked up to the TV. Keep in mind however that this TV can only pass audio in standard Dolby Digital, downrezzed from Dolby Digital Plus, which means slightly degraded audio quality and no Atmos or extra surround channels.
post #3557 of 3639 Old 11-12-2018, 05:59 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I accidentally broke the screen on this TV, is there any way to get a new/used/refurbished screen at a decent price ?
post #3558 of 3639 Old 11-29-2018, 06:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 657 Post(s)
Liked: 552
Anyone watch both Netflix and Prime Video with this TV? Audio from Prime shows are a lot louder and dynamic compared to Netflix - I'm not sure if this is simply how the streams are, if it's specific to the apps on the TV itself. This is via an optical output from the TV to an AVR.
post #3559 of 3639 Old 11-29-2018, 07:00 AM

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by tezster View Post
Anyone watch both Netflix and Prime Video with this TV? Audio from Prime shows are a lot louder and dynamic compared to Netflix - I'm not sure if this is simply how the streams are, if it's specific to the apps on the TV itself. This is via an optical output from the TV to an AVR.
If you think that Prime video is comparatively loud just try YouTube TV. These audio differences seem to have more to do with the service than the device (in my experience).

--
Dan Shane
LG 65EF9500 & LG 65UH8500

God gave us two eyes for a reason.
post #3560 of 3639 Old 12-11-2018, 02:59 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Hey all, I currently have a 75" UH8500, thinking about an upgrade path. What is todays upgrade equivalent to the UH8500 series?

Thanks!
post #3561 of 3639 Old 12-11-2018, 03:51 PM

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by |-Goku-| View Post
Hey all, I currently have a 75" UH8500, thinking about an upgrade path. What is todays upgrade equivalent to the UH8500 series?

Thanks!
I have the same one and real happy with it. I'm waiting another year or so before getting another one as this one is good enough. Why spend $$$ for one that may not be much better? I'm going to wait for the prices to come down on the higher end OLED ones.
post #3562 of 3639 Old 12-12-2018, 07:36 AM

Quote:

Thanks!
If you like 3D there isn't currently an upgrade path.

--
Dan Shane

post #3563 of 3639 Old 12-12-2018, 08:03 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by danlshane View Post
Quote:

Thanks!
Don’t really use 3D. Just curious what the 2018 comparable model is. 🙂
post #3564 of 3639 Old 12-12-2018, 09:15 AM

Quote:
and why I haven't looked to upgrade yet. I do like 3D from time to time. I have a large 3D movie collection.
Seems like it was a fad for 3-4 years and they're fading away. I'll go to another brand if I can find one next year. If not, I'll keep this for another year or so.
post #3565 of 3639 Old 12-12-2018, 09:33 AM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack54 View Post

I'll go to another brand if I can find one next year. If not, I'll keep this for another year or so.

I’ve finally finished my basement and mounted the TV as it deserves to be, with bias lighting and angle appropriate for viewing 3D content very well. I seriously don’t expect I’ll be upgrading this TV in its lifespan.

I do wish LG (and others) would commit better to OTA software updates to keep our devices current as opposed to the usual planned obsolescence, but outside of blacker blacks I can’t imagine what I’ll be missing any time soon.
post #3566 of 3639 Old 12-12-2018, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougHamm View Post
but outside of blacker blacks I can’t imagine what I’ll be missing any time soon.
I forget now, but how long do these TV last. I'm semi retired now and have this TV on 6-10 hours a day and it's almost two years old (in Feb 2019). I run my laptop into this TV and do a lot of Adobe CS6 work on it, besides watching news/movies from time to time.
post #3567 of 3639 Old 12-13-2018, 07:08 AM

Quote:
I do like 3D from time to time. I have a large 3D movie collection.
Seems like it was a fad for 3-4 years and they're fading away. I'll go to another brand if I can find one next year. If not, I'll keep this for another year or so.
I'm not aware of any 3D TVs currently being manufactured, so unless you're going the front projection route I'm not sure what your replacement is going to be.

--
Dan Shane

post #3568 of 3639 Old 12-13-2018, 08:02 AM

Quote:
I'm not aware of any 3D TVs currently being manufactured, so unless you're going the front projection route I'm not sure what your replacement is going to be.
How do the front projection work and their quality compared to regular TV's? I may try that route the next time around. I have 100 feet space on wall and couch 10 feet away.
post #3569 of 3639 Old 12-13-2018, 10:57 AM

Quote:
How do the front projection work and their quality compared to regular TV's? I may try that route the next time around. I have 100 feet space on wall and couch 10 feet away.
Projectors with built-in 3D capability all use active technology (not passive). A dark room is pretty much essential. Sounds like you do have the necessary wall space.

I don't own such a setup myself. I self-insured by purchasing two LG passive TVs before they disappeared.

--
Dan Shane

post #3570 of 3639 Old 12-17-2018, 02:05 PM

Liked: 12
Never mind
Sponsored Links
Advertisement