Official LG 55/60/65/75 UH8500 Thread - Page 97 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1404Likes

post #2881 of 3618 Old 04-23-2017, 10:27 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-3 View Post
Just ordered the large three meter size as per you Amazon link. Thank you!
When you get new (same) set the pillars will be the same. Place as close as you can (assuming 65") (outside of screws) to the edge to get it to wrap on all 3 sides (left,top,right). Use the white for best results. I have mine set on the seconds level of white most of the time and for really bad full white. Enjoy, this product is a necessity for this TV IMO.

Last edited by Datagg; 04-23-2017 at 10:32 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2882 of 3618 Old 04-23-2017, 11:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datagg View Post
When you get new (same) set the pillars will be the same. Place as close as you can (assuming 65") (outside of screws) to the edge to get it to wrap on all 3 sides (left,top,right). Use the white for best results. I have mine set on the seconds level of white most of the time and for really bad full white. Enjoy, this product is a necessity for this TV IMO.
post #2883 of 3618 Old 04-23-2017, 11:49 AM

Please share your 3D settings, i.e, picture mode, advanced control, picture control, etc. You stated you love it in 3D, so it may be my settings are off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack54 View Post
You've had too many complaints about this TV in your 16 posts. Return it and move on.
I've had none on mine, happily keeping mine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2884 of 3618 Old 04-23-2017, 06:14 PM

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-3 View Post
Please share your 3D settings, i.e, picture mode, advanced control, picture control, etc. You stated you love it in 3D, so it may be my settings are off.
I used Jerimiah settings he listed here, with some minor tweeks.

Jeremiah 3D settings - HDMI

Open the 'all settings' and go to ..
General --> HDMI ULTRA HD Deep Color

It's set on a port-by-port basis.
-------------------------
Picture Mode Settings - Standard (User)
Aspect Ratio - Original (Just Scan)
Energy Saving - OFF
Eye Comfort Mode - OFF
Backlight - 100
Contrast - 95
Brightness - 50
Sharpness - 10
Color - 50
Tint - R5
Color Temperature - C20

Advanced Controls
-----------------------
Dynamic Contrast - OFF
Dynamic Color - OFF
Preferred Color - Skin -3, Grass 0, Sky 0
Color Gamut - Normal
Super Resolution - OFF
Gamma - Medium

Picture Options
-------------------
Noise Reduction - OFF
MPEG Noise Reduction - OFF
Black Level - LOW
Real Cinema - ON
Motion Eye Care - OFF
LED Local Dimming - Medium
TruMotion - OFF

Dynamic Contrast:
-----------------------
Ideally this should be set to off but it can be set to low without causing any serious harm to the image. Anything higher than low will definitely cause black crush and clipped highlights.

Super Resolution
---------------------

Personally, I would leave this off. One area super resolution could prove to be useful is when viewing high-resolution slideshows. Since the slideshows aren't in motion, the still images could benefit from the additional perceived detail. High-resolution images look stunning on this set already but super resolution could add that little bit more.

Dynamic Color
------------------

I haven't played with this much yet. It does seem to have some effect on color, and there are times when it does seem to "improve" the color, but I would recommend leaving it off if you want to keep the colors as accurate as intended in the content.
post #2885 of 3618 Old 04-23-2017, 06:18 PM

Thumbs up Couch placement

I'm loving my LG a LOT so far!

Last edited by jack54; 05-01-2017 at 03:20 PM.
post #2886 of 3618 Old 04-23-2017, 07:14 PM

Thank you! I will give these a try tomorrow. I believe I am currently using the default settings for 3D. I did use Jeremiah's settings for all the ports. However, I did not realize I had to configure the same port again for 3D.

Quote:
I used Jerimiah settings he listed here, with some minor tweeks.

Jeremiah 3D settings - HDMI

Open the 'all settings' and go to ..
General --> HDMI ULTRA HD Deep Color

It's set on a port-by-port basis.
-------------------------
Picture Mode Settings - Standard (User)
Aspect Ratio - Original (Just Scan)
Energy Saving - OFF
Eye Comfort Mode - OFF
Backlight - 100
Contrast - 95
Brightness - 50
Sharpness - 10
Color - 50
Tint - R5
Color Temperature - C20

Advanced Controls
-----------------------
Dynamic Contrast - OFF
Dynamic Color - OFF
Preferred Color - Skin -3, Grass 0, Sky 0
Color Gamut - Normal
Super Resolution - OFF
Gamma - Medium

Picture Options
-------------------
Noise Reduction - OFF
MPEG Noise Reduction - OFF
Black Level - LOW
Real Cinema - ON
Motion Eye Care - OFF
LED Local Dimming - Medium
TruMotion - OFF

Dynamic Contrast:
-----------------------
Ideally this should be set to off but it can be set to low without causing any serious harm to the image. Anything higher than low will definitely cause black crush and clipped highlights.

Super Resolution
---------------------

Personally, I would leave this off. One area super resolution could prove to be useful is when viewing high-resolution slideshows. Since the slideshows aren't in motion, the still images could benefit from the additional perceived detail. High-resolution images look stunning on this set already but super resolution could add that little bit more.

Dynamic Color
------------------

I haven't played with this much yet. It does seem to have some effect on color, and there are times when it does seem to "improve" the color, but I would recommend leaving it off if you want to keep the colors as accurate as intended in the content.
post #2887 of 3618 Old 04-24-2017, 11:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 643 Post(s)
Liked: 541
Does anyone know if the TV's Netflix app streams native 24p content at actual 24p?
post #2888 of 3618 Old 04-26-2017, 02:24 AM
Lionheart of AVS

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 1797 Post(s)
Liked: 4367
"Color Volume" article: Revised and Expanded!

Hey guys,

For those of you who liked my "Color Volume" article, I wanted to let you know that I have made further revisions and additions to it this week.

I added a lot of extra material to most of the sections - including additional info and lots more images and illustrations. I also added 2 brand new sections to it and made a few changes and improvements to some of the previous material.

I also took this opportunity to correct a few small mistakes that were bothering me and do a bit of reformatting. (Hey, I happen to be a perfectionist, with perhaps a little bit of OCD thrown-in for good measure. In fact, you will notice that a lot of my posts on the Forum often have a "Last edited by" footnote at the bottom of them - many of those "edits" are often only to correct a small spelling mistake or something stupid like that. )

Additionally, I decided to take the advice of my friend @mrtickleuk and change the print size of my "Notes" (except for the very first one), which were too small and hard for some to read (they looked fine in the browser I was using, but viewing them in a different browser I noticed they were indeed quite small). I instead used a different "Font" to make them stand out.

I am planning to start working on "Part 2" of my article hopefully this coming weekend (which will be the 2nd Post of my Color Volume Thread that I currently have marked as "Reserved!"). I plan to have it finished sometime next week if all goes well.

So stay tuned!

P.S. I apologize for the long post. Sorry!

[Click the LINK below to go to the article.]

>What is Color Volume?<

Thank you for reading!

Richard
Datagg likes this.
post #2889 of 3618 Old 04-27-2017, 05:33 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello everyone.

I ordered the 55 of this TV last week from Fry's for an unbeatable (?) price of $798 out the door.

My 10 year old Samsung Plasma finally stopped turning on last week, which prompted the purchase.

It arrives tomorrow.

I have been reading various parts of this long thread over the last few days regarding calibrating the TV, and other features, and I had some questions.

First my room situation....My tv will sit in a room attached to our kitchen with lots of windows, and a giant slider. My point being, this is not a "dark theater" room. Even at night, my wife likes to leave a dim light on while we watch TV (to my annoyance). I'd say we are sitting about 8-9 foot back. I wouldn't consider myself a "videophile" (more of an audiophile actually).

1. It seems like the majority of users on this forum are using Jeremiah's settings...however they seem to be way different (and much simpler) then the recommendations on other sites. Most sites recommend Expert Dark Room settings with all tons of tweaks. How are Jeremiah's tweaked "standard" settings working for everyone? Are these settings more for "dark room" set ups?

2. Did I read you need to change settings for every input source? including 3D?

3. My least favorite thing about modern TVs is the "soap opera" look. Will Jeremiah's settings help the TV look more like "film", and less like a cheap sound stage set? That's been my primary reason for not opting for a new TV. Any advice on this?

4. Does the TV automatically upgrade the firmware through WiFi? or will I need to download it to a USB?

I think that's all the questions for now.

Thanks all for your help!!
post #2890 of 3618 Old 04-27-2017, 06:10 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhino4evr View Post
1. It seems like the majority of users on this forum are using Jerimiah's settings...however they seem to be way different (and much simpler) then the recommendations on other sites. Most sites recommend Expert Dark Room settings with all tons of tweaks. How are Jeremiah's tweaked "standard" settings working for everyone? Are these settings more for "dark room" set ups?

3. My least favorite thing about modern TVs is the "soap opera" look. Will Jeremiah's settings help the TV look more like "film", and less like a cheap sound stage set? That's been my primary reason for not opting for a new TV. Any advice on this?

4. Does the TV automatically upgrade the firmware through WiFi? or will I need to download it to a USB?

I think that's all the questions for now.

Thanks all for your help!!
1. I don't use Jeremiah's settings. These don't look right in my opinion, and besides I never use standard or other presets. I use my own settings in Expert Mode (1 for day viewing, 1 for night) and adjust using calibration discs (Disney's WOW, AVS HD 709 and GCD) and a colorimeter.

2. Preferably, but you can apply one input settings to all the other inputs, i.e., adjust the settings in Expert Mode Bright Room for input HDMI1, and then apply the same settings to Expert Mode Bright Room for HDMI2 and HDMI3.

3. You can disable Trumotion completely, and thus avoiding the SOE.

4. Yes, but sometimes the newest firmwares are available first on the web. If you want to keep the TV up to date, you might need to use a USB to apply the new firmware.

Last edited by WeaponX Alpha; 04-27-2017 at 07:08 AM.
post #2891 of 3618 Old 04-27-2017, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeaponX Alpha View Post
1. I don't use Jeremiah's settings. These don't look right in my opinion, and besides I never use standard or other presets. I use my own settings in Expert Mode (1 for day viewing, 1 for night) and adjust using calibration discs (Disney's WOW, AVS HD 709 and GCD) and a colorimeter.

2. Preferably, but you can apply one input settings to all the other inputs, i.e., adjust the settings in Expert Mode Bright Room for input HDMI1, and then apply the same settings to Expert Mode Bright Room for HDMI2 and HDMI3.

4. Yes, but sometimes the newest firmwares are available first on the web. If you want to keep the TV up to date, you might need to use a USB to apply the new firmware.

Thanks for responding...I don't own a calibration disc, was trying to avoid buying one. What "doesn't look right" about his settings?

I suppose I could just tweak the standard settings, and then experiment with the expert dark and bright rooms...
post #2892 of 3618 Old 04-27-2017, 07:19 AM

Jeremiah's settings work just fine for me and most people don't use the calibration discs.

Same settings work fine for me at night or day... easy enough to tweak if needed.

I turned off Trumotion, also recommended by Jeremiah.

You have to use USB, the web don't work for whatever reason for firmware.

My recommendation? Start with Jeremiah's settings and then tweak to suit your situation. I'm real happy with my settings and this TV.
post #2893 of 3618 Old 04-27-2017, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Thanks for responding...I don't own a calibration disc, was trying to avoid buying one. What "doesn't look right" about his settings?

I suppose I could just tweak the standard settings, and then experiment with the expert dark and bright rooms...
You don't have to buy a calibration disc. AVS HD 709 and GCD are both free, and you can find the download links here in the forum threads. With these discs, you can adjust contrast and brightness by eye, and with help of the TV's color filters, you can try to adjust color and tint. Everything else (grayscale, gamma, color correction, etc.) needs to be adjusted with an instrument and calibration software.

To me, Jerimiah's 2D settings are too blue, and the contrast is too high, which can cause whiter-than-white details to be lost. I like a warmer, more natural image.

Update. Here are the links to the calibration discs

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-di...libration.html

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-di...tion-disk.html
jack54 likes this.

Last edited by WeaponX Alpha; 04-27-2017 at 07:58 AM.
post #2894 of 3618 Old 04-27-2017, 07:46 AM

Jeremiah's settings work just fine for me and most people don't use the calibration discs.
Most people can't distinguish a right calibrated image from a wrong one. But also, a TV's image is a personal preference and you can't argue with that.

Same settings work fine for me at night or day... easy enough to tweak if needed.
My home is too bright in the day, with a lot of reflections, so I use a high setting for backlight to compensate for the light. At night, I watch TV in a dark room with a bias light, and the day image setting is too bright.

I don't like the SOE, so Trumotion is always off in my LG TV's (I own 2)

It works in some regions, it doesn't in others. My TV was updated right out of the box to the latest firmware available when I bought it. But the newest firmware (04.30.95), for some reason, wasn't detected by the TV.

My recommendation? Start with Jeremiah's settings and then tweak to suit your situation. I'm real happy with my settings and this TV.

A great feature of this TV is that you can adjust almost every setting, so you can get an image to your liking. I'm too very happy with the TV and my settings.
jack54 likes this.

Last edited by WeaponX Alpha; 04-27-2017 at 07:50 AM.
post #2895 of 3618 Old 04-27-2017, 08:03 AM

Quote:

yeah, like I said I'm not a huge videophile. Excited for the TV. Should be a big step up in picture quality.
post #2896 of 3618 Old 04-27-2017, 08:33 AM

Is there a list of what apps are available for the TV?

My daughter still watches a lot of apps on the roku that are kid oriented. Disney Jr/etc. I was hoping to get rid of the roku, but not sure that's possible.
post #2897 of 3618 Old 04-27-2017, 10:49 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hey guys I've been enjoying the 65 inch variety of this LG set for about 2 weeks. I've only made a few changes in the standard mode. I'm thinking about using Darko's settings in expert dark room picture mode. My question is if changes are made in one picture mode are those changes carried over to the other modes or saved to that particular mode? Love this set.
post #2898 of 3618 Old 04-27-2017, 11:27 AM

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntdouglas View Post
Hey guys I've been enjoying the 65 inch variety of this LG set for about 2 weeks. I've only made a few changes in the standard mode. I'm thinking about using Darko's settings in expert dark room picture mode. My question is if changes are made in one picture mode are those changes carried over to the other modes or saved to that particular mode? Love this set.
Changes are independent per input so if you make them for hdmi 1, they will inly exist there until you make the same changes on hdmi 2 and 3 individually.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk
post #2899 of 3618 Old 04-27-2017, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder18 View Post
Changes are independent per input so if you make them for hdmi 1, they will inly exist there until you make the same changes on hdmi 2 and 3 individually.

Well I guess I'm a little confused then. I have the tv hooked up to a Sony HTCT-770 soundbar. Dvr and blu-ray player are plugged into the soundbar and a single hdmi going up to hdmi 2 to the tv for arc. So if I make changes in expert mode it will make the same changes in standard mode?
post #2900 of 3618 Old 04-27-2017, 12:06 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked: 526
Quote:
Well I guess I'm a little confused then. I have the tv hooked up to a Sony HTCT-770 soundbar. Dvr and blu-ray player are plugged into the soundbar and a single hdmi going up to hdmi 2 to the tv for arc. So if I make changes in expert mode it will make the same changes in standard mode?
Any changes you make to any of the pre-made settings turns that into user mode which means that the user changed some settings and its now a custom setting. The settings you make or choose to use only effect the input you are on unless you pick the option to apply the settings you chose to all inputs. If you choose dark room expert & change any settings it will not affect any other settings mode that the tv has, ex: you would still need to change settings in HDR mode if you want. HDR Game mode, Dolby Vision, 3D mode or any of the other tv presets.

So if I make changes in expert mode it will make the same changes in standard mode? - No, you would have to make changes there as well..

Last edited by Jrocker23; 04-27-2017 at 12:11 PM.
post #2901 of 3618 Old 04-27-2017, 12:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
1. It seems like the majority of users on this forum are using Jeremiah's settings...however they seem to be way different (and much simpler) then the recommendations on other sites. Most sites recommend Expert Dark Room settings with all tons of tweaks. How are Jeremiah's tweaked "standard" settings working for everyone? Are these settings more for "dark room" set ups?
I don't use Jeremiah's settings. I use the Expert Dark room settings and have tweaked to my liking after using several calibration tests. My settings are posted in this thread somewhere.

Quote:
Yes. But I believe there is an option to save across all HDMI input sources...but 3D, HDR, Dolby Vision, and each app all have their own settings that will need to be adjusted.

Quote:
Turn off Tru-Motion, it will remove the soap opera effect completely.

Quote:
It's supposed to automatically download and update on it's own. BUT the latest firmware does not seem to be downloading to the TVs so you will need to download to USB and install that way. Entire process should not take more than 10 minutes.
post #2902 of 3618 Old 04-27-2017, 12:34 PM

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
I'm sorry, I may not have answered well. Settings should stick independently under expert and standard mode for each individual input. Hopefully that makes more sense.

post #2903 of 3618 Old 04-27-2017, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Is there a list of what apps are available for the TV?

My daughter still watches a lot of apps on the roku that are kid oriented. Disney Jr/etc. I was hoping to get rid of the roku, but not sure that's possible.
Yes, here's the link:
http://us.lgappstv.com/appspc/main/main/main.lge
post #2904 of 3618 Old 04-28-2017, 08:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 574 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeaponX Alpha View Post
good link. As you can see, you'll still need Roku for apps like Disney Jr, Nick, HBO Go/Now, etc
post #2905 of 3618 Old 04-28-2017, 09:03 AM

@Jrocker23 and Thunder18 thanks for the quick response with your knowledge. Another question. Considering my soundbar is 3 years old do you guys think its ok to route the dvr and blu-ray through it or send them straight to the tv?
post #2906 of 3618 Old 04-28-2017, 10:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
@Jrocker23 and Thunder18 thanks for the quick response with your knowledge. Another question. Considering my soundbar is 3 years old do you guys think its ok to route the dvr and blu-ray through it or send them straight to the tv?
I would go straight to the TV. Chances are your HDMI inputs are not new enough in soundbar thus you will choke the newest and latest features. Aka 4K.

So Plug that equipment into your TV (set each input for what you want) then run an optical from your TV back to your soundbar. Don't forget under settings to enable "Deep Color" for each input you want the highest possible color gamut for. Have fun.
post #2907 of 3618 Old 04-28-2017, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datagg View Post
I would go straight to the TV. Chances are your HDMI inputs are not new enough in soundbar thus you will choke the newest and latest features. Aka 4K.

So Plug that equipment into your TV (set each input for what you want) then run an optical from your TV back to your soundbar. Don't forget under settings to enable "Deep Color" for each input you want the highest possible color gamut for. Have fun.
Well I was reading up on my soundbar and it has support for 4k and 3d pass through.
post #2908 of 3618 Old 04-28-2017, 11:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Well I was reading up on my soundbar and it has support for 4k and 3d pass through.
Then you should be good to go then. You got lucky, normally that isn't the case. Even still, I went straight to TV myself as I was getting some lag going thru AVR which also had support. Try it and see how it goes.
post #2909 of 3618 Old 04-28-2017, 12:11 PM

Ok, my TV came today. It looks great, although I'm still getting used to the settings.

One question....I synced my magic remote to my soundbar, but now it's "stuck" on that setting. How do you switch from regular TV controls to soundbar or other (cable box) controls?

I can't find those instructions anywhere.

overall I think im most impressed with how seemless the 3D is. There is no discomfort at all.

I also felt weird turning off a lot of the "picture features".

I may try an expert setting soon, just to see how much better I can get the picture.

Thanks for all your help.
post #2910 of 3618 Old 04-29-2017, 05:04 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
My uh8500 has never held a wifi connection for very long. Everytime I go check it, it will have unconnected and it doesn't always reconnect without having to put the password back in. Is this a known problem or can it be fixed, thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
55uh8500 , 60uh8500 , 65uh8500 , 75UH8500 , lg led

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page