Oh god did I just ruin my TV? (LG Firmware) - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Actionable Mango

post #1 of 19 Old 02-10-2016, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Exclamation Oh god did I just ruin my TV? (LG Firmware)

Short version: Flashed new firmware on my LG42LK450-UH from the official LG website. (Check the link. It's exactly the right model number on the U.S. site.) It seemed to install fine to 100% but then when tried to restart, it never turned on again.

Long version: I finally decided to sit down and fix my Harmony remote setup and I thought I had figured out the issue: what the IR commands in Harmony say aren't actually the commands that the TV performs: "HDMI2" command actually just cycles the input rather than switch to "HDMI2."

So the only thing I could think of that might fix this was to go to LG.com and update the firmware. I carefully checked with the "Product Info" menu and made sure I had the right model number. I saw that I was on v4.0 and that the website had v5.0. I never touched the service menu at all. Downloaded this file: GP3_ATSC_US_RevNo2836_V05.00.01_flash_V2_SECURED.e pk and did the whole USB update thing.

Went to 100%, said it was restarting and then never turned on again.

So am I screwed? Do I need to replace a board? This thing does have a serial port. Is there some sort of patch cable and command that would allow me to fix this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 02-10-2016, 05:43 PM
Thread Ender

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked: 388
I would suggest unplugging it for about 5 minutes, then plug it back in and see if it will power up then.

If that doesn't work, you might try holding the power button "On" for 8 seconds. It seems that works as a "reset" button for some LG models.

To anyone interested in a Google Chromebox or Chromebook..
Be aware that these boxes run a variant of Linux and DO NOT support HDCP!!!
This means no support for HD on most streaming services. I wish I would have known this beforehand....

Blu-rays & DVD's

Last edited by WS65711; 02-10-2016 at 05:51 PM.
post #3 of 19 Old 02-10-2016, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711 View Post
I would suggest unplugging it for about 5 minutes, then plug it back in and see if it will power up then.

If that doesn't work, you might try holding the power button "On" for 8 seconds. It seems that works as a "reset" button for some LG models.
Thanks, I tried that. No dice. One odd thing is that the LK450 only has touch controls on the TV itself, so if it doesn't turn on, there's no feedback from a button to let you know you're doing anything.

But the remote and the touch panel do nothing. The red standby light is on and steady, just like normal. There may be a little super high pitched capacitor warble that wasn't there before. But I wasn't listening for it before either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 02-10-2016, 06:00 PM
Thread Ender

I found these instructions for doing a reset on a 42LK450-UB:

Hold MENU on TV and MENU on remote. Hold for around 10 seconds.

If password prompt shows type 0000 or 1234.

When the service menu appears, select the RESET option.

Note that these instructions may put you into the Service Menu, so be very careful what you do in there.

This means no support for HD on most streaming services. I wish I would have known this beforehand....

Blu-rays & DVD's

Last edited by WS65711; 02-10-2016 at 06:05 PM.
post #5 of 19 Old 02-10-2016, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for finding that. Unfortunately, the screen doesn't turn on at all. I tried holding the stupid "general area" where the touch control for "Home" should be while doing the same on the remote, but nothing happens and the standby light doesn't waver at all.

I did find some main boards for this TV that are available online. I'm assuming that is my only option unless someone knows of some serial cable type hack that would allow me to roll back a firmware update somehow.

I know firmware updates can be dangerous but holy god you'd think the official LG website for the USA hosting a file that matches the exact model number on your American TV wouldn't kill it dead.

I'm wondering if there's any way of getting LG to do anything about this. They gave me the # of a service center but I've installed a power board before on a TV (Samsung with bad caps). I assume the main board on an LG would be pretty straightforward.
post #6 of 19 Old 02-11-2016, 09:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 34
did you try "punching in" the usb firmware again to see if it changes anything? Further, try another usb. Maybe the usb had / has an issue that took out the main board.... unlikely but you never know. Have you tried locating the service manual for the set to see if there is any more info or methods to getting at resetting the set AND checking things out at a board level.
post #7 of 19 Old 02-11-2016, 09:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked: 202
This is what scares the hell out of me for "upgrading" anything via either USB, or worse yet by god the internet! (I don't do it)

This is become the norm, & everyone accepts this for some reason.

If it works & it ain't broke, don't fix it!
post #8 of 19 Old 02-11-2016, 09:39 AM
Thread Ender

This link works for the service manual.

Blu-rays & DVD's
post #9 of 19 Old 02-11-2016, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711 View Post
This link works for the service manual.
Thanks! I tried searching but only found what looked like scam sites.

Yeah it was dumb to upgrade the firmware (something I've done on all sorts of **** before and never had a problem) but I thought I was relatively safe if I triple checked the model number and region and just followed the included instructions. I suppose putting the wrong firmware on your official website is one way to drive new TV sales.

I didn't try to start it up with the USB plugged in, yet. I left it unplugged all night and tried to start it with long power holds on the remote and the set itself.

I've been reading around and there are hackers of LK sets for some weird pointless reason, and they run crazy Russian firmware on their European TVs. They seem to have firmware fixes involving serial cables, terminal programs and shorting pins but I'm not going to bother with anything like that, and I really doubt an LG "authorized" service center is going to either. The terminal commands probably aren't even the same for a U.S. TV and I have no idea where to find original U.S. firmware.

I'm probably just going to trash it and get a Vizio M43-C1 or something similar and block firmware updates on my router. I've learned my lesson. The caps were probably about to fail on it anyway. TVs seem to have a 4-year lifespan, so I should just be happy I got something like 5 years from it.
post #10 of 19 Old 02-11-2016, 02:00 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1708 Post(s)
Liked: 738
You can't be the only one experiencing this.

Try calling LG and see if they can offer any advice.
post #11 of 19 Old 02-11-2016, 03:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 34
sounds like you "want" a new tv... :-)

I don't think that there is anything wrong with the actual update process... the firmware for this set looks to have been around for while. "stuff" happens, you can try follow thru or just go the "new set" route. Donate your old set to a "friend" that wants to dig deeper.
post #12 of 19 Old 02-11-2016, 08:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post
You can't be the only one experiencing this.

Try calling LG and see if they can offer any advice.
I did immediately after and explained to them that they should remove the file from the website. The CS person just said: "This TV doesn't have firmware" and gave me the number of an authorized service center. I am always curious to check out one of these TV repair places because they're like a shadowbox of clinical depression but I don't think I'll bother making the trip this time. If I find a cheap main board for it, I'll slap it in there and give it to a homeless teen.
post #13 of 19 Old 12-19-2018, 03:22 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 85
If I had read this thread earlier, I might not have attempted my first TV firmware update by way of a USB today. (UK6500AUA).

But, thankfully, after the USB update, the TV is working fine.

I found a firmware update that had been released on Dec. 14th online. And when I checked for updates through the TV's Menu option, it said "No updates Available." But my TV's model number was clearly listed on the LG webpage as being for this update, so I went ahead and downloaded the update to a USB stick (2.0).

I didn't even have a Zip file extractor app on my Windows 8.1, so I had to get that first. Then I watched a YouTube video on how to add a folder to a USB drive, that had nothing on it.

I followed the LG instructions on how to extract the Zip file, and how to do the manual firmware update to the TV with a USB stick.

I have left the TV setting for no Auto Updates, as I'd like to wait and see, in the future, if people have issues with an update, before I allow it on my TV. I do like the idea that I have a firmware update on file, that I could reinstall, if a future firmware release turned out to be buggy.

Cable Channel Choice is the only choice I want to make !!

Last edited by See The Light; 12-19-2018 at 03:30 AM.
post #14 of 19 Old 12-19-2018, 04:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_caballo View Post
I did immediately after and explained to them that they should remove the file from the website. The CS person just said: "This TV doesn't have firmware" and gave me the number of an authorized service center. I am always curious to check out one of these TV repair places because they're like a shadowbox of clinical depression but I don't think I'll bother making the trip this time. If I find a cheap main board for it, I'll slap it in there and give it to a homeless teen.
Take screen shots document Evrything. Download the file again to a clean USB drive you will give to your attorney for evidence. Print out the whole website page by page that leads you up to the Firmware. Also email them calling is useless emails serve as documented proof.

Heck pretend nothing has happened yet and email LG about your TVs firmware. Let them lead you or provide a wrong link. Also document the File size and name. In a few days LG may catch on and upload a different file.

This same thing happened to me a few years back. My cousin aka attorney found out that LG was linking the wrong Firware link to a different TV firmware.

I got my attorneys fees and a nice settlement few thousand and a new TV on top of that. In exchange for our silence. We didn’t go public. I feel this is vague enough to stay safe and help out another person.

I hate LG.
post #15 of 19 Old 12-19-2018, 04:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cold View Post
Take screen shots document Evrything. Download the file again to a clean USB drive you will give to your attorney for evidence. Print out the whole website page by page that leads you up to the Firmware. Also email them calling is useless emails serve as documented proof.

Heck pretend nothing has happened yet and email LG about your TVs firmware. Let them lead you or provide a wrong link. Also document the File size and name. In a few days LG may catch on and upload a different file.

This same thing happened to me a few years back. My cousin aka attorney found out that LG was linking the wrong Firware link to a different TV firmware.

I got my attorneys fees and a nice settlement few thousand and a new TV on top of that. In exchange for our silence. We didn’t go public. I feel this is vague enough to stay safe and help out another person.

I hate LG.

You realize you are responding to a 2 year old post, yes? Although it might be helpful to someone in the future, I suppose.
post #16 of 19 Old 12-19-2018, 06:06 AM

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by See The Light View Post
If I had read this thread earlier...
...you would have probably forgotten about it by now, since you would have read it 2 1/2 years ago.
post #17 of 19 Old 01-07-2019, 02:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismarck440 View Post
This is what scares the hell out of me for "upgrading" anything via either USB, or worse yet by god the internet! (I don't do it)

This is become the norm, & everyone accepts this for some reason.

If it works & it ain't broke, don't fix it!
I have never had an issue with firmware upgrades on the six HDTVs I have either owned or set up (the last was a Samsung UN43NU6900FXZA - the frist 4K HDTV I have set up). The 2016 and later Samsung HDTVs can indeed leverage the Internet to do automatic firmware updates (this makes sense; after all, they leverage home networks for streaming - the same models - 4K and non - support 5 GHz N as well, which gives gobs of bandwidth and far fewer chances for errors doing such updates.
post #18 of 19 Old 01-14-2019, 02:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Estep View Post
I have never had an issue with firmware upgrades on the six HDTVs I have either owned or set up (the last was a Samsung UN43NU6900FXZA - the frist 4K HDTV I have set up). The 2016 and later Samsung HDTVs can indeed leverage the Internet to do automatic firmware updates (this makes sense; after all, they leverage home networks for streaming - the same models - 4K and non - support 5 GHz N as well, which gives gobs of bandwidth and far fewer chances for errors doing such updates.
I do work with firmware upgrading, & I've seen results after a crash. As the TV may be recoverable is the manufacturer going to walk us through the fix?

I'm very leery of doing any upgrades on my Blue-Ray player.
post #19 of 19 Old 01-15-2019, 11:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 269
If you've bricked your TV and have exhausted all normal avenues for reset, there is one last trick before sending it to the dumpster.

Open the TV, find the SPI ROM chip. Short pins 4 and 5. Turn on TV. The TV should boot up. Remove the short, then use the firmware update again to flash over the bad/corrupt flash.

This procedure shorts the ROM's serial communication pin to the ground pin, preventing the TV from reading/writing/using the bad firmware. The TV will then switch to using the factory failsafe ROM instead.

SPI chips vary, but they are almost always 8-pin and look pretty much like this:

The round indent or dot on the face of the chip identifies pin 1.

Here is the pinout:

This works for a lot of devices, not just TVs.
See The Light likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
firmware , lgtv , lk450 , update

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page