Sony XBR-65X810C (65" 2015 model 4K) TV: Android won't boot - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 02-12-2016, 08:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Unhappy Sony XBR-65X810C (65" 2015 model 4K) TV: Android won't boot

Hi guys, I feel like this is a long shot. But maybe there are enough Sony users out there and someone knows a thing about how to troubleshoot this.

This week I've built a new PC and I have upgraded to 900-series Nvidia card, and I'm able to get [email protected]@4:4:4 on this 65" X810C which I got last year in early November. Yes I didn't bother waiting for Black Friday to buy my TV... Best buy had a deal with the PS4. And really I've been happy with how nice it is. Generally.

The main issue that sticks out far and above all others with this fine piece of hardware is the godawful execution of Android TV. It's sluggish and it is slow and it is generally unstable for a device that has one purpose only (display my video signal). And today we find that it is completely undependable.

Anyhow, so, today I receive my EVGA 980Ti in the mail, after much agonizing waiting all week, I install it into my PC, this completes my new PC build. My 810C is already wall mounted at this point. Windows 10 isn't very stable with the new card for several reboots. That's pretty much par for the course. Eventually I swap to a shorter HDMI cable and [email protected]@4:4:4 just works. It all works! I played some games for a while. Browsed around on google maps/google earth in the browser. Surfed the net. Life was great for a few hours! I was getting a very satisfactory bang out of my hard-earned bucks, since all my hardware was working according to specifications.

Then I decided I mounted my TV too high on the wall. Gotta reposition the mount. So I get the TV off with the help of my dad (just like the first time we got it mounted to the wall), redo the bracket, get it back on the wall. Everything went smoothly. No I did not bang my knee on the TV or anything remotely like that.

Now the thing won't boot. Android spirally circles freezes halfway through booting. Now I know that when you power off the TV that Android is just sleeping underneath. So this is possibly the first reboot since the Feb 9 update for the TV. I don't recall ever finding a menu inside the software to let you properly *shut down* the actual thing. I wouldn't be surprised that Android is completely ill-prepared for unplugging main power even while you've powered it down. Of course this is 100% an unacceptable design problem because what about power outages?

So. Every 3 boots it goes to optimize Android apps. Resumes boot loop.

I've unplugged it for 20 minutes, 5 minutes. Goes right back to optimizing and boot looping.

Needless to say, completely driving me up the wall. And what's really unsettling is I can't find any instructions specific to my model or my model line, I am not sure what's going on. I found some instructions for holding the up button on the remote and pressing power on the TV. Well I tried that like 5 times! Doesn't do anything, besides, those instructions are for 2014 model Sony TV's.

Previously in Nov or Dec last year I had a similar but less severe issue. What happened was the Android settings menus and various other menus wouldn't actually open. But I could at least get into SOME of them, including the menu that contained factory reset. I did hop on Sony support and got somebody to give me instructions to download a PKG file and all that and load it on USB. I remember reporting to him what my menus showed for the software version of the TV, and him being really confused because it wasnt a software version that was valid. So it was corrupted seriously somehow. I don't remember how far I got with it, because what I remember happening was I think the factory reset worked (it took a while). And my TV worked for a few months from then on until now.

At this point I have found and downloaded the most recent PKG file and I am going to load it into the root dir of a FAT32 flash drive and start the TV with it. Since I cannot find any instructions for what I'm supposed to do with this download...

Hopefully I won't need to wait much further past middle of next week to get this thing serviced if it really needs servicing.

I guess the silver lining is that at least it's choosing to malfunction on me before warranty period is up? Only 12 months of limited warranty.

Honestly I don't know how it would be possible for me to have even less faith in this operating system which is responsible for making my $1700 television work. If I was a betting man I would bet against myself being satisfied with this purchase overall. An expensive home theater investment like this needs to continue to work faithfully for at least 5 years, and the thing is, a nice big TV like this will still be pretty sick 5 years or 10 years from now. It wouldn't be completely obsolete.

But either my hardware has some flaky faults in it (which I doubt because when it runs it runs solid) the software is literally in a state where it is teetering on the edge of actually functioning. This isn't some nit-picky thing, the goddamn piece of **** doesn't even work. It bricked itself. I've never bricked a smartphone or any other piece of tech. I'm a software programmer by trade but that doesn't mean I can do a single thing about this. All I can do is get really pissed because I know about the kind of steps you can take as software makers to prevent BS like this.

So... there was no rough handling. It clearly has no hardware damage, besides, it's successfully optimizing 196 apps really reliably... this is clearly some type of corruption or software bug.

I am not sure what I should do. Clearly at some point whether I figure it out myself (fingers crossed USB drive trick works) or Sony actually needs to send a technician, whether this hardware continues to work (as it so beautifully did work earlier this very day) or the entire thing gets replaced... I have lost my faith now and I don't want to hold on to it past the depressingly short warranty period anymore. Probably I could resell it without all too much of a loss. I just don't know what to think. I did a lot of research before I bought this TV because it had the right mix of features that I really wanted. I use it for web browsing and computing and so it needs to have 4:4:4 capability. It handled it really well for the 4 hours that I had it running today before it bricked itself. I do a lot of research on the tech that I spend lots of money to obtain. But what did I do wrong here?

I guess I just need to do something else for a little bit now. So I can calm down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-12-2016, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have now found some instructional material that notes that I can download TV software and put it on a USB drive and it's supposed to "install it automatically".

Well that ain't happening and I presume it is something that Android initiates once it's already booted up and detects the USB device. And I'm stuck before that stage.
post #3 of 4 Old 02-13-2016, 06:01 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 2172 Post(s)
Liked: 4081
Moved to proper forum. Please read sticky threads titled "Read before posting" ...before posting. Thanks.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 06-19-2016, 06:06 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lu View Post
Hi guys, I feel like this is a long shot. But maybe there are enough Sony users out there and someone knows a thing about how to troubleshoot this.

This week I've built a new PC and I have upgraded to 900-series Nvidia card, and I'm able to get [email protected]@4:4:4 on this 65" X810C which I got last year in early November. Yes I didn't bother waiting for Black Friday to buy my TV... Best buy had a deal with the PS4. And really I've been happy with how nice it is. Generally.

The main issue that sticks out far and above all others with this fine piece of hardware is the godawful execution of Android TV. It's sluggish and it is slow and it is generally unstable for a device that has one purpose only (display my video signal). And today we find that it is completely undependable.

Anyhow, so, today I receive my EVGA 980Ti in the mail, after much agonizing waiting all week, I install it into my PC, this completes my new PC build. My 810C is already wall mounted at this point. Windows 10 isn't very stable with the new card for several reboots. That's pretty much par for the course. Eventually I swap to a shorter HDMI cable and [email protected]@4:4:4 just works. It all works! I played some games for a while. Browsed around on google maps/google earth in the browser. Surfed the net. Life was great for a few hours! I was getting a very satisfactory bang out of my hard-earned bucks, since all my hardware was working according to specifications.

Then I decided I mounted my TV too high on the wall. Gotta reposition the mount. So I get the TV off with the help of my dad (just like the first time we got it mounted to the wall), redo the bracket, get it back on the wall. Everything went smoothly. No I did not bang my knee on the TV or anything remotely like that.

Now the thing won't boot. Android spirally circles freezes halfway through booting. Now I know that when you power off the TV that Android is just sleeping underneath. So this is possibly the first reboot since the Feb 9 update for the TV. I don't recall ever finding a menu inside the software to let you properly *shut down* the actual thing. I wouldn't be surprised that Android is completely ill-prepared for unplugging main power even while you've powered it down. Of course this is 100% an unacceptable design problem because what about power outages?

So. Every 3 boots it goes to optimize Android apps. Resumes boot loop.

I've unplugged it for 20 minutes, 5 minutes. Goes right back to optimizing and boot looping.

Needless to say, completely driving me up the wall. And what's really unsettling is I can't find any instructions specific to my model or my model line, I am not sure what's going on. I found some instructions for holding the up button on the remote and pressing power on the TV. Well I tried that like 5 times! Doesn't do anything, besides, those instructions are for 2014 model Sony TV's.

Previously in Nov or Dec last year I had a similar but less severe issue. What happened was the Android settings menus and various other menus wouldn't actually open. But I could at least get into SOME of them, including the menu that contained factory reset. I did hop on Sony support and got somebody to give me instructions to download a PKG file and all that and load it on USB. I remember reporting to him what my menus showed for the software version of the TV, and him being really confused because it wasnt a software version that was valid. So it was corrupted seriously somehow. I don't remember how far I got with it, because what I remember happening was I think the factory reset worked (it took a while). And my TV worked for a few months from then on until now.

At this point I have found and downloaded the most recent PKG file and I am going to load it into the root dir of a FAT32 flash drive and start the TV with it. Since I cannot find any instructions for what I'm supposed to do with this download...

Hopefully I won't need to wait much further past middle of next week to get this thing serviced if it really needs servicing.

I guess the silver lining is that at least it's choosing to malfunction on me before warranty period is up? Only 12 months of limited warranty.

Honestly I don't know how it would be possible for me to have even less faith in this operating system which is responsible for making my $1700 television work. If I was a betting man I would bet against myself being satisfied with this purchase overall. An expensive home theater investment like this needs to continue to work faithfully for at least 5 years, and the thing is, a nice big TV like this will still be pretty sick 5 years or 10 years from now. It wouldn't be completely obsolete.

But either my hardware has some flaky faults in it (which I doubt because when it runs it runs solid) the software is literally in a state where it is teetering on the edge of actually functioning. This isn't some nit-picky thing, the goddamn piece of **** doesn't even work. It bricked itself. I've never bricked a smartphone or any other piece of tech. I'm a software programmer by trade but that doesn't mean I can do a single thing about this. All I can do is get really pissed because I know about the kind of steps you can take as software makers to prevent BS like this.

So... there was no rough handling. It clearly has no hardware damage, besides, it's successfully optimizing 196 apps really reliably... this is clearly some type of corruption or software bug.

I am not sure what I should do. Clearly at some point whether I figure it out myself (fingers crossed USB drive trick works) or Sony actually needs to send a technician, whether this hardware continues to work (as it so beautifully did work earlier this very day) or the entire thing gets replaced... I have lost my faith now and I don't want to hold on to it past the depressingly short warranty period anymore. Probably I could resell it without all too much of a loss. I just don't know what to think. I did a lot of research before I bought this TV because it had the right mix of features that I really wanted. I use it for web browsing and computing and so it needs to have 4:4:4 capability. It handled it really well for the 4 hours that I had it running today before it bricked itself. I do a lot of research on the tech that I spend lots of money to obtain. But what did I do wrong here?

I guess I just need to do something else for a little bit now. So I can calm down.
Hi,

I am having the very same problem as described by you. Tried to contact Sony support - no luck. Tried all known troubleshooting steps without result. My model is XBR65X850C. It worked for 3 months and now I am stuck with the reboot loop. Did you have any luck in this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
android , Sony , television

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page