Forum Jump: 
 952Likes

post #541 of 1133 Old 02-26-2016, 10:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked: 352
Just having a thread asking if 3D TV is dead says something about the technology and its future.

If 3D doesn't find a solution to the focus and convergence problem soon, it never will because VR this year will make 3D the VHS of yesterday and no one will ever bother looking back at 3D.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 1133 Old 02-26-2016, 11:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 2797 Post(s)
Liked: 1485
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post
I could live without smelling the scene of a movie.
In my theater I have managed to excite three of our five senses , site, sound and to a lesser extent motion with the base shakers . In a few of the Disney rides they through in some smells too, pretty cool . Not sure I would want to "excite" my senses especially taste and smell during some movies that I have seen . But then then again , smell is supposed to be our most powerful memory .
aaronwt and King Richard like this.
post #543 of 1133 Old 02-26-2016, 11:09 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxiedog13 View Post
In my theater I have managed to excite three of our five senses , site, sound and to a lesser extent motion with the base shakers . In a few of the Disney rides they through in some smells too, pretty cool . Not sure I would want to "excite" my senses especially taste and smell during some movies that I have seen . But then then again , smell is supposed to be our most powerful memory .
Disney "4D" movies will also spray you with water. Also, in "Tough To Be A Bug" there are effects SPOILER ALERT:
Spoiler!

Last edited by carlbarry; 02-27-2016 at 04:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #544 of 1133 Old 02-26-2016, 01:18 PM

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlbarry View Post
^^^In an interview in the New York Times Sunday Magazine, Paul Rubens said that in his new picture, he was "touched up" to look skinnier, younger, and more flexible than he is now. He said it is a dirty little secret that in every movie there is a budget to re-touch the stars.
LOL. Nothing is what it seems, especially now. The quality of the mattes and effects is such that only the best trained eyes will have any clue, if at all.
post #545 of 1133 Old 02-26-2016, 02:02 PM
Lionheart of AVS

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1797 Post(s)
Liked: 4367
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Is there any move made without special effects any more? Whether they change the color of the Sun, or a lamp shade, there seems to be effects done with every movie now.
Quote:
^^^In an interview in the New York Times Sunday Magazine, Paul Rubens said that in his new picture, he was "touched up" to look skinnier, younger, and more flexible than he is now. He said it is a dirty little secret that in every movie there is a budget to re-touch the stars.

That's true..

... but it's not really what I meant by "special effects" driven movies.

I was talking mostly about movies where the special effects take "center stage" and the story (and acting) come in second. (e.g. Marvel movies, Action movies, Space movies, Horror movies, Animated movies, etc.)

Richard
post #546 of 1133 Old 02-26-2016, 02:13 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Richard View Post
That's true..

... but it's not really what I meant by "special effects" driven movies.

I was talking mostly about movies where the special effects take "center stage" and the story (and acting) come in second. (e.g. Marvel movies, Action movies, Space movies, Horror movies, Animated movies, etc.)

Richard
^^^^ I know. But at my age, making a 50 year old look like a 20 year old is a VERY special effect.
King Richard likes this.
post #547 of 1133 Old 02-26-2016, 02:35 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2589 Post(s)
Liked: 2312
Quote:
Disney "4D" movies will also spray you with water. Also, in "Tough To Be A Bug" there are effects in the seats that feel like stingers on your back,
Spoiler!
My kids and I loved it both times we went. Wrap the last part in a spoiler.
post #548 of 1133 Old 02-26-2016, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxiedog13 View Post
But then then again , smell is supposed to be our most powerful memory .
That's what I'm afraid of.

I loved the movie Fury. But if I had to spend the duration smelling 5 guys in very tight quarters who haven't bathed in weeks, smoke, and recently peed in a box, I might not have loved it quite so much.

I'd probably be doing anything to get the memory out of my head.
perrrob and mhobart like this.
post #549 of 1133 Old 02-26-2016, 02:41 PM
Lionheart of AVS

Quote:

I loved the movie Fury. But if I had to spend the duration smelling 5 guys in very tight quarters who haven't bathed in weeks, smoke, and recently peed in a box, I might not have loved it quite so much.

And I'd be doing anything to get the memory out of my head.

Not to mention all the corpses.

Richard
roxiedog13 likes this.
post #550 of 1133 Old 02-26-2016, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Is there any move made without special effects any more? Whether they change the color of the Sun, or a lamp shade, there seems to be effects done with every movie now.
Pretty much everything is touched up. Unless it was shot on film and very low budget, both of which are unlikely to coincide.

(Non-digital) film is stupid to use anyway, and regarding ubiquitous CGI, let's just accept it. I think we kinda have to.
post #551 of 1133 Old 02-26-2016, 03:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by trey31 View Post
In my humble opinion, the butchery of hurry-up-and-get-it-to-market RF active 3D TV's in 2010/2011 killed the market before it could get started. In 2010 EVERYONE that went into a Best Buy store was stopping to put on the active glasses to see this new 3D thing for themselves; there were lines and people waited sometimes 10 minutes just to see 30 seconds of 3D promos on a TV. Yes it was a novelty, but it was a novelty that people WANTED to be as awesome as it sounded.
Right.

Coincidentally or not, at the same time the video game industry was releasing its "motion-controlled" technology and games. The Wii, the Sony Move, and the X-Box Kinect were all touted as giving people a totally immersive gaming experience. People were lined up to use the ground-breaking technology, but in the long run the technology just couldn't deliver the awesomeness that was promised by the gaming companies. Half-baked technology sunk another promising step forward in the entertainment.
trey31 likes this.
post #552 of 1133 Old 02-26-2016, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franchot View Post
Right. [...] Coincidentally or not, at the same time the video game industry was releasing its "motion-controlled" technology and games. The Wii, the Sony Move, and the X-Box Kinect were all touted as giving people a totally immersive gaming experience. People were lined up to use the ground-breaking technology, but in the long run the technology just couldn't deliver the awesomeness that was promised by the gaming companies. Half-baked technology sunk another promising step forward in the entertainment.
Yes and no. Some of these things do have some momentum, and the technologies are prospering and growing in areas outside of gaming.
post #553 of 1133 Old 02-26-2016, 06:44 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by sytech View Post
It is so ironic they are killing 3D just as passive 4K and brighter HDR displays would make it easy to use and spectacular. I have active 3D on my F8500, but I can never get more than one pair of 3D glasses to sync at a time. Just not worth the hassle to me, but I feel for you 3D lovers.
That's why I selected a passive 3d TV. I set up a mode that is a little brighter and it looks great in a darkened room. I tend to rent 2d movies (unless they are really good) and buy 3d movies. The 3d versions usually come with a regular version anyway. If it is done well, it adds to the immersive experience. Passive 3d glasses are cheap (or free if you save the ones you get from the theater) and you don't have to worry about sync issues.
SoToS and trey31 like this.

No matter where you go, There you are ;)
post #554 of 1133 Old 02-26-2016, 07:18 PM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:

I'd probably be doing anything to get the memory out of my head.
Of course, Hollywood's take on smell will have little in common with reality :-)

Vizio M501D-A2r hdtv, Sony STR-DN1050 AVR, Oppo BDP-93 blu-ray, Samsung BD-UP5000 HD-DVD/Blu-ray combo, Roku 3, Apple TV
other older items of various types and vintages
post #555 of 1133 Old 02-26-2016, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhobart View Post
Of course, Hollywood's take on smell will have little in common with reality :-)
LOL. That seems worse, at least in the case of Fury.

Have everything in the film bring me into the film by matching the scent to the scene, but suddenly a dank and grotesque space isn't dank and grotesque?

I'd argue that this would pull us out of the movie.

Best to smell my living room or the theater the entire time.
post #556 of 1133 Old 02-27-2016, 07:25 AM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 9312 Post(s)
Liked: 5998
Quote:
Originally Posted by sytech View Post
It is so ironic they are killing 3D just as passive 4K and brighter HDR displays would make it easy to use and spectacular. I have active 3D on my F8500, but I can never get more than one pair of 3D glasses to sync at a time. Just not worth the hassle to me, but I feel for you 3D lovers.
That isn't normal. I can sync a bunch of active glasses with no problem with my Mitsubishi DLP and a Sony UHD TV. And once Synced I turn them on and they sync with the picture in a few seconds. Of course you do have to charge them or replace the batteries(for non-rechargable glasses). But there is not much involved with it really.

If you can't sync more than one pair at a time, I would question whether your TV is defective. It should be able to sync multiple pairs of glasses. Because if it were working properly, this would be the case.

53TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #557 of 1133 Old 02-27-2016, 07:30 AM
UHD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karp View Post
That's why I selected a passive 3d TV. I set up a mode that is a little brighter and it looks great in a darkened room. I tend to rent 2d movies (unless they are really good) and buy 3d movies. The 3d versions usually come with a regular version anyway. If it is done well, it adds to the immersive experience. Passive 3d glasses are cheap (or free if you save the ones you get from the theater) and you don't have to worry about sync issues.
But you still have to worry about ghosting. Every passive 3D set I've viewed, I've seen ghosting. While active 3D I have on my DLP set has zero ghosting. But I do see some ghosting on my SOny UHD TV with Active 3D too. But nowhere near as bad as I've seen from passive 3D on 2K sets.

post #558 of 1133 Old 02-27-2016, 07:48 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked: 434
Quote:
Disney "4D" movies will also spray you with water. Also, in "Tough To Be A Bug" there are effects in the seats that feel like stingers on your back, and bugs running under your rear end.
Hey, why not "Feel-Around"?

aaronwt and roxiedog13 like this.
post #559 of 1133 Old 02-27-2016, 08:42 AM

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
But you still have to worry about ghosting. Every passive 3D set I've viewed, I've seen ghosting. While active 3D I have on my DLP set has zero ghosting. But I do see some ghosting on my SOny UHD TV with Active 3D too. But nowhere near as bad as I've seen from passive 3D on 2K sets.
Exactly the opposite I have experienced. I was the other day in a shop and I was watching two sets, one active and one passive with a demo from "IMAX Under the sea" and in that scene the snake on the active had ghosting while the passive on the same scene had zero ghosting. With passive if you see ghosting you have to correct your vertical viewing angle, with active you can do nothing about it -the ghost is inside the system, the glasses, the panel etc and won't go away

Last edited by SoToS; 02-27-2016 at 08:53 AM.
post #560 of 1133 Old 02-27-2016, 09:10 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2104 Post(s)
Liked: 1520
Quote:
That isn't normal. I can sync a bunch of active glasses with no problem with my Mitsubishi DLP and a Sony UHD TV. And once Synced I turn them on and they sync with the picture in a few seconds. Of course you do have to charge them or replace the batteries(for non-rechargable glasses). But there is not much involved with it really.

If you can't sync more than one pair at a time, I would question whether your TV is defective. It should be able to sync multiple pairs of glasses. Because if it were working properly, this would be the case.
Like I said. 3D doesn't interest me enough for me to bother. My Samsung F8500 came with four pair. I can occasionally get one to sync, but tried 2 of the others and it would not. Some suggested the new batteries that came with it might be weak, but I think I switched the battery from the pair that worked and still could not get a second pair to link.
post #561 of 1133 Old 02-27-2016, 11:23 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Ehhh, but now everyone will be watching 3d and more content via Oculus/HTC Vive VR devices. 3D looks good in a 3d environment, plus you add the 75-100ft screen you can see from your own couch, I can see 3D digital titles blowing up. Avatar in 3D looked good in VR cinema.
King Richard likes this.
post #562 of 1133 Old 02-27-2016, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoToS View Post
Exactly the opposite I have experienced. I was the other day in a shop and I was watching two sets, one active and one passive with a demo from "IMAX Under the sea" and in that scene the snake on the active had ghosting while the passive on the same scene had zero ghosting. With passive if you see ghosting you have to correct your vertical viewing angle, with active you can do nothing about it -the ghost is inside the system, the glasses, the panel etc and won't go away
The problem with both glasses-technologies is that 100% extinction isn't attainable. But both techs have come quite a ways to making it darn near so.

It's certainly the case that not all passive glasses and FPR's are created equally though. Best to play around a little with the glasses until you find a brand you like. They're priced at dirt pretty much, so it's easy to do.
post #563 of 1133 Old 02-27-2016, 03:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked: 659
If any of you have seen the Terminator 3D attraction at Universal studios, that is a 3D experience. I saw it years ago and can say I was impressed with 3D. Not only was the 3D very realistic in that you felt like you could reach out and touch things, but the sensory additions added to the experience, You felt heat when there was a burst of flames. Bursts of cold water felt like you were hit by shrapnel when things exploded in front of you. Smoke engulfed you. Now, if you could get our home 3D TVs to give that kind of sensory experiences, we would not be having this thread.
aaronwt, roxiedog13 and trey31 like this.
post #564 of 1133 Old 02-27-2016, 04:14 PM
UHD Addict

Quote:
Yes. All the passive sets I've viewed I've been in the correct spot but I always see ghosting. No matter how I make adjustments, the ghosting is always there. But I've only seen a bunch of 2K 3D passive sets. I haven't tried 3D with any 4K passive sets yet..

post #565 of 1133 Old 02-27-2016, 04:57 PM

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Yes. All the passive sets I've viewed I've been in the correct spot but I always see ghosting. No matter how I make adjustments, the ghosting is always there. But I've only seen a bunch of 2K 3D passive sets. I haven't tried 3D with any 4K passive sets yet..
Common experience is different. On average, passive TVs have less ghosting than active and neither displays ghosting all the time, it depends on the scene (contrast, colors).
If you "always see ghosting" at the proper angle, then you might have ...ESP abilities

Last edited by SoToS; 02-27-2016 at 05:11 PM.
post #566 of 1133 Old 02-27-2016, 06:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 2797 Post(s)
Liked: 1485
Quote:
Common experience is different. On average, passive TVs have less ghosting than active and neither displays ghosting all the time, it depends on the scene (contrast, colors).
If you "always see ghosting" at the proper angle, then you might have ...ESP abilities

Just watched Everest in 3D, Dolby Atmos and I have to say it was incredible. The 3D made this movie, I felt as though I were there on that mountain, the usage of 3D done very well. Six people sat in my theatre, no one experienced ghosting and I was running three different manufactures of active glasses just for experimentation . No synchronization issues at all and no dead batteries.
OK, so it wasn't on a TV but just wanted to share how great 3D can be and the fact I had no issues with the glasses nor did I or anyone else see any ghosting. I'm sure there may have been ghosting but as with all movie flaws ( plenty present in 2D as well by-the-way) it is not really a focal point unless the movie is otherwise flawed by means of bad story line , the acting ,etc. This is one of those movies that had it all, very well done indeed.
post #567 of 1133 Old 02-27-2016, 07:08 PM
UHD Addict

Quote:
I've viewed passive 3D on over twenty TVs now and I've seen ghosting on every one. And remember I was coming from a DLP set which has zero ghosting with active 3D. I never saw ghosting until I got a passive 3D set back in 2012. But between friends houses with passive 3D and seeing it in a few stores, I've seen the ghosting in every one. And it is a large portion of the time.

I'm not saying it's a terrible problem and prevents me from enjoying the movie, but I see the Ghosting in all of them. I see it on my Sony UHD TV with Active 3D too. With that I will probably stick to UHD content with that TV and watch most of my 3D stuff on my DLP set. But right now I've disconnected the audio system and most devices in that room. And I still need to rip out all my old cabling before I can set it back up again.

Last edited by aaronwt; 02-27-2016 at 07:13 PM.
post #568 of 1133 Old 02-27-2016, 07:11 PM
Lionheart of AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfster View Post
If any of you have seen the Terminator 3D attraction at Universal studios, that is a 3D experience. I saw it years ago and can say I was impressed with 3D. Not only was the 3D very realistic in that you felt like you could reach out and touch things, but the sensory additions added to the experience, You felt heat when there was a burst of flames. Bursts of cold water felt like you were hit by shrapnel when things exploded in front of you. Smoke engulfed you. Now, if you could get our home 3D TVs to give that kind of sensory experiences, we would not be having this thread.

I don't think I would really want my living room filling up with smoke, engulfing me...

... or cold water spraying me, my recliner, expensive carpeting, or electronics.

Richard
post #569 of 1133 Old 02-27-2016, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Richard View Post
I don't think I would really want my living room filling up with smoke, engulfing me...
... or cold water spraying me, my recliner, expensive carpeting, or electronics.
...and that's absolutely the last time I'm EVER hosting a Rocky Horror viewing at my place!
post #570 of 1133 Old 02-27-2016, 09:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rectaltronics View Post
...and that's absolutely the last time I'm EVER hosting a Rocky Horror viewing at my place!
Fox is going to do the live musical in October, so you will get a chance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page