2016 Samsung 4K Models? - Page 10 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 126Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #271 of 611 Old 03-21-2016, 02:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bluewhale1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,469
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addixion View Post
FYI ... John Archer of Forbes just confirmed that Samsung will be doing away with Evolution kit upgradeability for their 2016 sets. That means no dice for those of us that were hoping to buy a KS9700 with hopes of upgrading to Dolby Vision down the road.
Is the Evolution kit the same as the One connect box? So if DV does turn out to be better those of us who grab a 2016 tv will never be able to view DV content via One connect upgrade?
bluewhale1 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #272 of 611 Old 03-21-2016, 03:00 PM
Lionheart of AVS
 
King Richard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Greenstone, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 3,287
Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1797 Post(s)
Liked: 4367
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewhale1 View Post
Is the Evolution kit the same as the One connect box? So if DV does turn out to be better those of us who grab a 2016 tv will never be able to view DV content via One connect upgrade?

That's correct.

Dolby Vision will be a "no-go" for all 2016 TVs.


Richard
King Richard is offline  
post #273 of 611 Old 03-21-2016, 03:06 PM
Member
 
Addixion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Posts: 146
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Yes, and from my understanding, that's correct. I'm trying to understand what the advantage of the high-end Samsungs over the equivalent Sony models is this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewhale1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addixion View Post
FYI ... John Archer of Forbes just confirmed that Samsung will be doing away with Evolution kit upgradeability for their 2016 sets. That means no dice for those of us that were hoping to buy a KS9700 with hopes of upgrading to Dolby Vision down the road.
Is the Evolution kit the same as the One connect box? So if DV does turn out to be better those of us who grab a 2016 tv will never be able to view DV content via One connect upgrade?
Addixion is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #274 of 611 Old 03-21-2016, 03:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Gillietalls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,182
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1535 Post(s)
Liked: 1592
Just got back from checking out the 55 KS9500 and I have to say it looked good, but not better than either the JS9500 or the JS9000 as far as picture quality. They didn't let me have the remote and all they had playing was some demo material to show off the sets brightness. There were no dark scenes to show off the black level and not bright objects against a dark background to look for blooming or halos. Aesthetically I do like the KS better. The minimal bezel and slimness of the TV are really nice to look at. Hopefully Best Buy gets them soon. I have a better relationship with personnel there and will be able to do more testing...
jasyn likes this.
Gillietalls is online now  
post #275 of 611 Old 03-21-2016, 05:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Troy LaMont's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Studio City, CA
Posts: 2,123
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillietalls View Post
Just got back from checking out the 55 KS9500 and I have to say it looked good, but not better than either the JS9500 or the JS9000 as far as picture quality. They didn't let me have the remote and all they had playing was some demo material to show off the sets brightness. There were no dark scenes to show off the black level and not bright objects against a dark background to look for blooming or halos. Aesthetically I do like the KS better. The minimal bezel and slimness of the TV are really nice to look at. Hopefully Best Buy gets them soon. I have a better relationship with personnel there and will be able to do more testing...
Where? I got a first hand look at CES but like you mentioned I couldn't 'play' with them. In my eye they were just a notch above the JS9000 on color and contrast just eye-balling it. Can't wait to get a hands on as well and see what the reviews are saying.

Wonder why happened in the way of the FALD for 2016?

Theater: Onkyo TX-NR807, Polk LSi15, Polk LSiC, Polk LSiF/X, Velodyne HGS12, Optoma HD80 on 100" Elite Aeon screen
Bedroom: Yamaha WXA50, Samsung Q6FN (2018), Martin Logan Motion LX16, Pro SW100P 10" sub
Gaming: Xbox One X, Samsung UH750 Quantum Dot 28" UHD monitor
Troy LaMont is offline  
post #276 of 611 Old 03-21-2016, 05:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Gillietalls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,182
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1535 Post(s)
Liked: 1592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy LaMont View Post
Where? I got a first hand look at CES but like you mentioned I couldn't 'play' with them. In my eye they were just a notch above the JS9000 on color and contrast just eye-balling it. Can't wait to get a hands on as well and see what the reviews are saying.

Wonder why happened in the way of the FALD for 2016?
The Big Screen Store in Catonsville, MD. It had the same demo loop going that was only about a minute and a half long. Again, not enough to show anything but how bright the image could get. The FALD (KS9800) is still coming. They couldn't give me a date but said it would be about $4,500 for the 65 inch, I'm assuming.
Gillietalls is online now  
post #277 of 611 Old 03-21-2016, 05:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Troy LaMont's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Studio City, CA
Posts: 2,123
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillietalls View Post
The Big Screen Store in Catonsville, MD. It had the same demo loop going that was only about a minute and a half long. Again, not enough to show anything but how bright the image could get. The FALD (KS9800) is still coming. They couldn't give me a date but said it would be about $4,500 for the 65 inch, I'm assuming.
Good to know. Thanks for sharing.

Theater: Onkyo TX-NR807, Polk LSi15, Polk LSiC, Polk LSiF/X, Velodyne HGS12, Optoma HD80 on 100" Elite Aeon screen
Bedroom: Yamaha WXA50, Samsung Q6FN (2018), Martin Logan Motion LX16, Pro SW100P 10" sub
Gaming: Xbox One X, Samsung UH750 Quantum Dot 28" UHD monitor
Troy LaMont is offline  
post #278 of 611 Old 03-21-2016, 06:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
denpom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,737
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1326 Post(s)
Liked: 1180
Quote:
Originally Posted by bargervais View Post
let me ask the question what is the difference between what Samsung's HDR can do and what Dolby Vision will give us or are they basically the same.
nobody can answer those questions straight currently. no independent tests have been done between the same material in all formats. but yeah, in theory you can achieve the same results with both or at least close enough for the consumer not to be able to tell any difference.
denpom is offline  
post #279 of 611 Old 03-21-2016, 06:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
denpom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,737
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1326 Post(s)
Liked: 1180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addixion View Post
FYI ... John Archer of Forbes just confirmed that Samsung will be doing away with Evolution kit upgradeability for their 2016 sets.
hey John, 2014 called, wants it's Evolution Kits back
denpom is offline  
post #280 of 611 Old 03-21-2016, 07:01 PM
Senior Member
 
zeekle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: nashville tn
Posts: 370
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by denpom View Post
nobody can answer those questions straight currently. no independent tests have been done between the same material in all formats. but yeah, in theory you can achieve the same results with both or at least close enough for the consumer not to be able to tell any difference.
The bigger concern for me is not which is better but if for the most part you have to choose a set that uses one or the other what happens when that standard quits being used I favor of the other.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
zeekle is offline  
post #281 of 611 Old 03-21-2016, 09:45 PM
Member
 
Golf Nut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 109
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 26
B&H has the prices up for the 65" KS8000, KS8500, KS9000, and KS9500 models... but no stock yet.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Golf Nut is offline  
post #282 of 611 Old 03-22-2016, 10:55 AM
Senior Member
 
EvilRonin_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 329
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeekle View Post
The bigger concern for me is not which is better but if for the most part you have to choose a set that uses one or the other what happens when that standard quits being used I favor of the other.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
I am struggling with this now. I need to pick up a new TV in the next week or two and would hate to have an "obsolete" TV in the next year or so. While I could afford a new TV every year, it's just a terrible use of money and I have enough other hobbies that I spend money on instead. I realize technology will always march on and new technology and features will always be released - I'd just like to last a while before replacing things!
EvilRonin_ is offline  
post #283 of 611 Old 03-22-2016, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
PTV Programmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 848
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 508 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilRonin_ View Post
I am struggling with this now. I need to pick up a new TV in the next week or two and would hate to have an "obsolete" TV in the next year or so. While I could afford a new TV every year, it's just a terrible use of money and I have enough other hobbies that I spend money on instead. I realize technology will always march on and new technology and features will always be released - I'd just like to last a while before replacing things!
I'm also very interested in the new Samsung models, however the cost can be an issue. I just looked at the specs and capabilities of the new Vizio P series and along with the price I think it might be a really viable option to Samsung.
PTV Programmer is offline  
post #284 of 611 Old 03-22-2016, 11:02 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
ray0414's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: michigan
Posts: 16,927
Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12748 Post(s)
Liked: 12064
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTV Programmer View Post
I'm also very interested in the new Samsung models, however the cost can be an issue. I just looked at the specs and capabilities of the new Vizio P series and along with the price I think it might be a really viable option to Samsung.

As a js9500 owner, I would advise everyone in the market for a tv to take a hard look at the vizio 65" P series tv. The specs are great and the full array backlight appears to be more affective than the js9500. 1999 for the 65" is incredible for what you get (full array, dolby vision hdr, 6" tablet remote, 95% dci)

The edge lit tvs from Samsung and sony are going to slaughter hdr with clouding and bloomimg.


http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-th...-video-review/

Last edited by ray0414; 03-22-2016 at 11:06 AM.
ray0414 is offline  
post #285 of 611 Old 03-22-2016, 11:09 AM
Senior Member
 
zeekle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: nashville tn
Posts: 370
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray0414 View Post
As a js9500 owner, I would advise everyone in the market for a tv to take a hard look at the vizio 65" P series tv. The specs are great and the full array backlight appears to be more affective than the js9500. 1999 for the 65" is incredible for what you get (full array, dolby vision hdr, 6" tablet remote, 95% dci)

The edge lit tvs from Samsung and sony are going to slaughter hdr with clouding and bloomimg.


http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-th...-video-review/
Its going to support both versions of HDR with an update... Sony/Samsung going to have a hard time at the mid tier and the educated buyer.

Otherwise people will buy on process and brand and it won't matter

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
zeekle is offline  
post #286 of 611 Old 03-22-2016, 11:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bluewhale1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,469
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked: 229
This is getting both confusing and annoying lol
Samsung HDR10, edge lit, No Dolby Vision upgrade possibility
Vizio Dolby Vision and eventually HDR10, FALD but from what was said in the other forum can't play Amazon HDR content
bluewhale1 is offline  
post #287 of 611 Old 03-22-2016, 11:54 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
ray0414's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: michigan
Posts: 16,927
Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12748 Post(s)
Liked: 12064
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewhale1 View Post
This is getting both confusing and annoying lol
Samsung HDR10, edge lit, No Dolby Vision upgrade possibility
Vizio Dolby Vision and eventually HDR10, FALD but from what was said in the other forum can't play Amazon HDR content


It'll play amazon hdr through an hdr capable device such as a uhd player. The samsung 4k player will be updated to hdr via apps within the next month or 2.

82Q90R*75Q9FN(RIP)*55C8OLED*Galaxy Note10+*Ub820 fed into Oppo 203*XB1X*4k DenonX4200

MASTER LIST OF HDR CONTENT THREAD HERE, UPDATED OFTEN
ray0414 is offline  
post #288 of 611 Old 03-22-2016, 11:58 AM
Senior Member
 
zeekle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: nashville tn
Posts: 370
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewhale1 View Post
This is getting both confusing and annoying lol
Samsung HDR10, edge lit, No Dolby Vision upgrade possibility
Vizio Dolby Vision and eventually HDR10, FALD but from what was said in the other forum can't play Amazon HDR content
Well if you told me I could buy sight unseen the following TVs for the same money.

TV A
Edge-lit
IPS
HDR 10 only
HDR amazon prime support

TV B
FALD
VA
DV and HDR 10
No HDR amazon prime support

I would pick B

Plenty of places to get streaming content. Blu-ray is where I want to be sure HDR works

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
zeekle is offline  
post #289 of 611 Old 03-22-2016, 12:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bluewhale1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,469
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeekle View Post
Well if you told me I could buy sight unseen the following TVs for the same money.

TV A
Edge-lit
IPS
HDR 10 only
HDR amazon prime support

TV B
FALD
VA
DV and HDR 10
No HDR amazon prime support

I would pick B

Plenty of places to get streaming content. Blu-ray is where I want to be sure HDR works

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
I was looking at the 55 inch so that is kind of in reverse as the larger Samsungs are not IPS, just the smaller ones but the Vizio 55 inch is an IPS. Guess if I pick Vizio over Samsung I would have to go 65 inch.
bluewhale1 is offline  
post #290 of 611 Old 03-22-2016, 01:25 PM
Super Moderator
 
DrDon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Metro Detroit, Tampa Bay
Posts: 17,141
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2321 Post(s)
Liked: 4405
While some comparisons are inevitable, remember this is a Samsung thread. Bashing the brand is considered trolling and will not be allowed.

Posts removed, infractions issued.
Timokreon likes this.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
DrDon is online now  
post #291 of 611 Old 03-22-2016, 01:35 PM
 
atomic4877's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 138
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 59
The new Vizio P series can hit approx. 600 nits across full screen. The new 2016's say 1000 nits peak brightness, but I am sure it will only be at a smaller window and be close to the 600-700 range. Does anybody know what the JS9500 was able to hit at a 100% window?
atomic4877 is offline  
post #292 of 611 Old 03-22-2016, 03:11 PM
Senior Member
 
Timokreon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 367
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 143
ABT states that the 55" in KS8000 & KS8500 are in stock, if anyone is looking.
Timokreon is offline  
post #293 of 611 Old 03-22-2016, 03:44 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
darinp2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 23,188
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1135 Post(s)
Liked: 1767
I wonder how well this Moth Eye thing on the Samsungs will work versus these Vizios and LG OLEDs. Samsung could have an advantage in how well they reject light from the room, but I don't want to assume that just from marketing. Looking forward to some interesting comparisons this year.

--Darin

This is the AV Science Forum. Please don't be gullible and please do remember the saying, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."
darinp2 is offline  
post #294 of 611 Old 03-22-2016, 03:47 PM
Senior Member
 
EvilRonin_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 329
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timokreon View Post
ABT states that the 55" in KS8000 & KS8500 are in stock, if anyone is looking.
Just checked and it showed me they are available for pre-order.
EvilRonin_ is offline  
post #295 of 611 Old 03-22-2016, 04:05 PM
Senior Member
 
Timokreon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 367
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilRonin_ View Post
Just checked and it showed me they are available for pre-order.
I just looked again, shows "in stock" for the 55". The other sizes are still pre-order with ETA of mid to late April.
Timokreon is offline  
post #296 of 611 Old 03-22-2016, 04:14 PM
Senior Member
 
ramcharger1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 222
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 503
Samsung's website shows shipping in May on most new sets.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
ramcharger1979 is offline  
post #297 of 611 Old 03-22-2016, 04:17 PM
Senior Member
 
Timokreon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 367
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramcharger1979 View Post
Samsung's website shows shipping in May on most new sets.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
Strange, every TV I see on the Samsung site states that it ships in 7-10 days.
Timokreon is offline  
post #298 of 611 Old 03-22-2016, 04:21 PM
Senior Member
 
ramcharger1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 222
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timokreon View Post
Strange, every TV I see on the Samsung site states that it ships in 7-10 days.
I stand corrected. This has changed since I looked this morning.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
ramcharger1979 is offline  
post #299 of 611 Old 03-22-2016, 04:23 PM
Senior Member
 
EvilRonin_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 329
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timokreon View Post
I just looked again, shows "in stock" for the 55". The other sizes are still pre-order with ETA of mid to late April.
Ah, I looked at 65".
EvilRonin_ is offline  
post #300 of 611 Old 03-22-2016, 05:23 PM
Newbie
 
kjhank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by darinp2 View Post
I wonder how well this Moth Eye thing on the Samsungs will work versus these Vizios and LG OLEDs. Samsung could have an advantage in how well they reject light from the room, but I don't want to assume that just from marketing. Looking forward to some interesting comparisons this year.

--Darin
Saw it next to the JS9000 (and JU7500). The new filters do a really good job, the reflections were much less noticable.
darinp2 and King Richard like this.
kjhank is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off