Official 2016 Sony X930D Owners Thread (no price talk) - Page 202 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4917Likes

post #6031 of 8125 Old 03-03-2017, 11:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bori421 View Post
I have the same issue with only the Fios box. I think the Fios DVR lags when its switching between dolby digital or stereo. Every time I change to a new channel the sound takes a few second to "click in" and occasionally it cut out in the middle of a show but if you pause and play it comes back.
Hi Bori:
My problem does not occur at a switch of programs, but rather I could be 15 or 20 minutes into watching a basketball or football game and the audio would drop; changing channels does not cause a drop, as the audio follows the channel change...I did try pausing for a brief second and playing, but each time I would still get a drop later...thanks for the idea, though...this really has me frustrated..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6032 of 8125 Old 03-03-2017, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by powpow View Post
Is the DVR part of the Fios box? If it only has issues with live TV it sounds like an issue with the Fios. You could also remove the receiver from the chain and connect the Fios directly to the TV to make sure that's not the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hey powpow.
Yes the DVR is part of the FIOS box itself...I suppose connecting directly to the tv and bypassing the receiver is a good idea, but not sure I could stand listening through the sub-par Sony speakers instead of my Polk Signature series....thanks for the suggestion...
post #6033 of 8125 Old 03-03-2017, 12:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 190 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked: 3284
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcWalpole View Post
Hey powpow.
Yes the DVR is part of the FIOS box itself...I suppose connecting directly to the tv and bypassing the receiver is a good idea, but not sure I could stand listening through the sub-par Sony speakers instead of my Polk Signature series....thanks for the suggestion...
Consider disabling HDMI/ARC on both the TV and the AVR, and using the Toslink cable which you already have connected to provide audio for the FIOS DVR. You will need to enter the setup menu for the FIOS DVR, and select PASSTHROUGH for the HDMI AUDIO option; if your DVR works the same as most cable STBs, this will enable transmission of Dolby Digital, DTS, and Dolby Digital EX to the AVR. Just select the Toslink input on the AVR to hear the audio from the FIOS channels.

Definition of "Stupid": Knowing the truth, seeing the truth, but still believing the lies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6034 of 8125 Old 03-03-2017, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy1 View Post
Consider disabling HDMI/ARC on both the TV and the AVR, and using the Toslink cable which you already have connected to provide audio for the FIOS DVR. You will need to enter the setup menu for the FIOS DVR, and select PASSTHROUGH for the HDMI AUDIO option; if your DVR works the same as most cable STBs, this will enable transmission of Dolby Digital, DTS, and Dolby Digital EX to the AVR. Just select the Toslink input on the AVR to hear the audio from the FIOS channels.
Thanks, Rudy..I will try that..you mentioned entering the FIOS box menu and by passing by selecting PASSTHROUGH...is there a similar menu on the Sony 930 that I need to find?
post #6035 of 8125 Old 03-03-2017, 01:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks, Rudy..I will try that..you mentioned entering the FIOS box menu and by passing by selecting PASSTHROUGH...is there a similar menu on the Sony 930 that I need to find?
No...from what you've posted so far, it appears that you're able to get multichannel audio from the TV's apps, so you don't need to make any further adjustments on the 930. If I recall correctly, the HDMI AUDIO options on these STBs/DVRs are PCM/AUTO/PASSTHROUGH. Setting it to PASSTHROUGH makes the FIOS (or cable) boxes ignore the TV and pass the multichannel audio through to the connected AVR.

Definition of "Stupid": Knowing the truth, seeing the truth, but still believing the lies.
post #6036 of 8125 Old 03-03-2017, 02:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

MarcWalpole,

To access the audio menu on your FIOS DVR, you may have to do the following:

Power-Select-Menu

This will bring up a White menu. In the middle, you will see "Additional HDMI Settings". Inside this menu, you will see Audio set to Auto. Just change this to "PASS THROUGH".

Press the power button on the box to power off and then power it back on.

post #6037 of 8125 Old 03-03-2017, 04:34 PM

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Experiencing audio drop-outs (less than .5 second) every 20-30 minutes while watching TV live via Fios box;does not happen while watching DVR or Blu-Ray discs... all inputs go to Sony receiver, then out to HDMI 4 on the 930...have changed out cables to no avail; also have an optical cable running from 930 to receiver for watching antenna input...changed to HDMI 2, but lost audio from Netflix, so back to HDMI 4...tried disconnecting the optical cable at the receiver, thinking this was causing drops, but had no effect as audio was being sent via ARC on HDMI 4....am stumped...have done numerous reboots, but the annoying drop-outs remain...any ideas?

Grateful,

Frustrated user

I have video and audio drop outs. I cycle power on the set top box and it's good. These connection issues are common and Sony first admitted the problems in December. The update software app says go to site. That site says my purchase needs no update.

post #6038 of 8125 Old 03-03-2017, 10:56 PM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Hey guys,

How does this TV compare to the 55x850c? Want to upgrade to 65930d.
post #6039 of 8125 Old 03-04-2017, 08:21 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 15
NetFlix App Affecting Brightness

Quote:
Originally Posted by CadeFoster View Post

I'm just having one other issue I was hoping to get a little helps with. I've noticed that after watching hdr enabled content on the Netflix app, when I exit out to live television, the picture is all washed out. The tv switches back over to my custom pre-set from hdr mode, but it doesn't look right. If I make any setting adjustment, my picture instantly goes back to how it should be. Any idea what's going on? I don't think its ever happened after watching sdr content.

Hmm, so I noticed that the same thing is happening even with non hdr Netflix content. As soon as I exit the app, the tv brightness is totally out of whack. Anyone have any thought as to the cause of this? It's only when using Netflix through the tv app, if I use Netflix through another device I don't have the issue.
post #6040 of 8125 Old 03-04-2017, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grubs92 View Post
Hey guys,

How does this TV compare to the 55x850c? Want to upgrade to 65930d.

I thought the 850 was a major step down in dynamic range compared to the 930 at the store.

post #6041 of 8125 Old 03-04-2017, 08:38 AM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Would you guys say the 930d would be an amazing buy for 1700? Is there anything that even compares for a 65" @ 1700?
blatz8 likes this.
post #6042 of 8125 Old 03-04-2017, 08:44 AM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by 805jive View Post
Would you guys say the 930d would be an amazing buy for 1700? Is there anything that even compares for a 65" @ 1700?
Disregard, I used to buy camera gear from Abe's of Maine but now it seems they are a different company... damn I got excited for a second
post #6043 of 8125 Old 03-04-2017, 09:05 AM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by djpalacios91 View Post
I finally got my hands on a Marseille mCable to use with my x930d set. I'm actually quite impressed with the uniformity of the image, it enhances the color reproduction somehow so that there is less backlight issues. I'm currently watching Spectre which has a lot of dark scenes with various degrees of lighting and it really improves the image and nearly eliminates clouding. I won't go as far to say that it rivals an OLED image, but it's the best i've seen this TV perform.

Mind you, my comments are strictly speaking for blu-ray quality and SDR content. This TV is definitely much more beautiful when displaying HDR content. I will soon have my Sony X800 player and I can speak to the quality of this set with a 4K blu-ray and HDR. This TV is really great for an LED set. Short of FALD and OLED, which I look forward to owning either the 2017 LD or Sony, I am very pleased with the x930d.
Smilies

I own a Marseilles MCable too - and also experience significant improvement in PQ. Remember that because these are 1.4 HDMI, these will work to upscale progressive signals from non-4k sources - a DirecTV box, a blue-ray (but not 4k) DVD, for example. In talking with their tech support, they are working on HDMI 2.0 or above versions to eliminate the handshake encryption issues (HDCP?). But it does nicely upscale 720p to 1080p, and 1080p to 4k - if you believe what the 930d display and your eyes tell you - this is the only HDMI cable that really makes a visual difference.
post #6044 of 8125 Old 03-04-2017, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Experiencing audio drop-outs (less than .5 second) every 20-30 minutes while watching TV live via Fios box;does not happen while watching DVR or Blu-Ray discs... all inputs go to Sony receiver, then out to HDMI 4 on the 930...have changed out cables to no avail; also have an optical cable running from 930 to receiver for watching antenna input...changed to HDMI 2, but lost audio from Netflix, so back to HDMI 4...tried disconnecting the optical cable at the receiver, thinking this was causing drops, but had no effect as audio was being sent via ARC on HDMI 4....am stumped...have done numerous reboots, but the annoying drop-outs remain...any ideas?
Grateful,
Frustrated user
If you haven't already, try switching the audio output on the FIOS box from Digital to PCM. You might lose a little sonic quality, but you may lose the dropoffs as well. Also, if the FIOS box has an HDMI on or off function, toggle between the two and see if that makes a difference. I leave mine off. I had a similar problem with DirecTV. No more dropouts. Audio-wise, I run my audio through HDMI 4 and back to aging Yamaha receiver. Good luck.
post #6045 of 8125 Old 03-04-2017, 09:53 AM

Still searching

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy1 View Post
MarcWalpole,

To access the audio menu on your FIOS DVR, you may have to do the following:

Power-Select-Menu

This will bring up a White menu. In the middle, you will see "Additional HDMI Settings". Inside this menu, you will see Audio set to Auto. Just change this to "PASS THROUGH".

Press the power button on the box to power off and then power it back on.
Soooo...my FIOS box is a 6-tuner, running on the VMS 1100...all suggested options do not appear on my MENU; I get SETTINGS-AUDIO & VIDEO-AUDIO-AUDIO FORMAT, wherein are 3 options: MONO,STEREO,SURROUND....I had it on SURROUND, changed it to STEREO....we will see (or listen to ) what happens...will pop on both CBS and ESPN as they have college basketball on and are produced in 5.1...early listening, 5 minutes worth, reveals that 5.1 still seems to be processed as the crowd/effects are coming though only on the rear speakers..
Many thanks to all replies...not sure what to do if this doesn't work as suggested work arounds through menus don't seem to be available on this FIOS box....
post #6046 of 8125 Old 03-04-2017, 10:20 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Official 2016 Sony X930D Owners Thread (no price talk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyst7 View Post
Smilies

If you believe what the 930d display and your eyes tell you - this is the only HDMI cable that really makes a visual difference.

Interesting - never come across these mCable devices before, and actually looks like something different above standard cables.

If I have multiple sources doing into a HDCP2.2 AVR , does that mean I can just replace the single ARC cable and I'll get the same benefits? And if I do pass in a 4K signal, it'll just pass it on untouched?

EDIT - found my own answers. This stuff looks awesome.

http://blog.son-video.com/en/2016/12...seille-mcable/

Last edited by Pericynthion; 03-04-2017 at 12:01 PM.
post #6047 of 8125 Old 03-04-2017, 11:05 AM

Quote:
If you haven't already, try switching the audio output on the FIOS box from Digital to PCM. You might lose a little sonic quality, but you may lose the dropoffs as well. Also, if the FIOS box has an HDMI on or off function, toggle between the two and see if that makes a difference. I leave mine off. I had a similar problem with DirecTV. No more dropouts. Audio-wise, I run my audio through HDMI 4 and back to aging Yamaha receiver. Good luck.
Analyst 7
Thanks for suggestion, but FIOS box does not have an HDMI on/off option...also, only audio options are Surround,Stereo, Mono...changed from Surround to Stereo, but still got a short drop; am now trying Mono, with receiver still putting out 5.1...I don't get it; it seems as if the audio is still passing thru the FIOS processor, but not affecting the output...waiting to see if the drop outs return..thanks for you time and patience
post #6048 of 8125 Old 03-04-2017, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Smilies

I own a Marseilles MCable too - and also experience significant improvement in PQ. Remember that because these are 1.4 HDMI, these will work to upscale progressive signals from non-4k sources - a DirecTV box, a blue-ray (but not 4k) DVD, for example. In talking with their tech support, they are working on HDMI 2.0 or above versions to eliminate the handshake encryption issues (HDCP?). But it does nicely upscale 720p to 1080p, and 1080p to 4k - if you believe what the 930d display and your eyes tell you - this is the only HDMI cable that really makes a visual difference.
Follow up question for you existing mcable owners.

How long is the usb fly-lead? Specifically if I bring if into HDMI4 for ARC, will it reach the usb ports on the side?
The cable is ordered but wondered if I need to get a usb port extender from AMZ too before it gets here.

thanks in advance.

Sent from my KFGIWI using Tapatalk
post #6049 of 8125 Old 03-04-2017, 08:53 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Smilies

I think you were the gentleman, or lady, who posted about the mCable some weeks back. It was thanks to you, or whomever that poster was, that I became curious and researched the cable and decided to give it a shot. This post would have saved me a headache (albeit a small one) concerning the lack of support for HDR. I setup my X800 yesterday and was confused as to why my 4K HDR movie would not display, I quickly reasoned that the issue was most likely an HDCP/HDMI compatibility issue due to the cable's design.

No matter, I went to my local BB today and bought an Audioquest Pearl cable for viewing my UHD Blu-Rays. So, happy on both ends of the spectrum. Thank you for mentioning that they are working on a newer revision cable, I will be on the lookout for that one and will buy it as soon as it's available (pending reviews of course).

the mCable is spectacular, I am completely satisfied with it. I just picked up a copy of Doctor Strange today and watched it and it looked so great. The colors are fantastic and the contrast in the picture makes me feel like i'm watching an HDR movie. Really a must have cable for blu-ray playback.
post #6050 of 8125 Old 03-04-2017, 09:10 PM

Quote:
This post would have saved me a headache (albeit a small one) concerning the lack of support for HDR. I setup my X800 yesterday and was confused as to why my 4K HDR movie would not display, I quickly reasoned that the issue was most likely an HDCP/HDMI compatibility issue due to the cable's design.

the mCable is spectacular, I am completely satisfied with it. I just picked up a copy of Doctor Strange today and watched it and it looked so great. The colors are fantastic and the contrast in the picture makes me feel like i'm watching an HDR movie. Really a must have cable for blu-ray playback.
perfect timing - this is exactly the setup I had planned albeit with an HDCP2.2 AVR in the middle. i figured reading their marketing that native content would simply be passed through - but it sounds like although the content gets passed the handshake is broken. In my naivety I sort of assumed all native content was hdcp controlled.

sounds like i wont be dissapointed with the output! Dont suppose you can help with my post re: usb cable length?

post #6051 of 8125 Old 03-04-2017, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Smilies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pericynthion View Post

How long is the usb fly-lead? Specifically if I bring if into HDMI4 for ARC, will it reach the usb ports on the side?
The cable is ordered but wondered if I need to get a usb port extender from AMZ too before it gets here.

thanks in advance.

It's not very long, maybe 1 foot max. Your USB source should be fairly close, otherwise invest in an extender and there should be no issue. The USB lead is just for power.
Pericynthion likes this.
post #6052 of 8125 Old 03-04-2017, 10:19 PM

Quote:
perfect timing - this is exactly the setup I had planned albeit with an HDCP2.2 AVR in the middle. i figured reading their marketing that native content would simply be passed through - but it sounds like although the content gets passed the handshake is broken. In my naivety I sort of assumed all native content was hdcp controlled.

sounds like i wont be dissapointed with the output! Dont suppose you can help with my post re: usb cable length?

It will reach if you hook it into HDMI 4, I did so yesterday. Keep in mind though, this cable is not meat to be bent (and depending on your setup you may need to). For instance, my TV is wall mounted and I needed to bend the cable to to hook it into HDMI 4 because my wall mount was in the way. This is why you read the instructions first folks.

The fix was easy though, I bought an Audioquest L shaped adapter to hook into the TV so that the cable could be inserted straight into the adapter with no bend. I would suggest you do the same if your setup won't allow for easy mounting and cable clearance.
Pericynthion likes this.
post #6053 of 8125 Old 03-05-2017, 12:39 AM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Question MM Update kills Netflix 5.1???

I used the Singapore update a week ago on my X9300D and all seemed well although the improvements seem subtle. But I just realised last night that I no longer see 5.1 after the HD/4K Ultra HD/HDR indicator when selecting a title. And of course I'm now only getting PCM stereo. It was certainly working before I updated but can't be certain it ceased with the update or later. I'm getting DD+ on my Samsung K8500 and DD on a Sony S6700. FTA channels that output multi-channel continue as before.

Question: For those with this TV whether MM came on your TV or you have updated to MM yourself... Are you getting DD 5.1 on Netflix built in app? If not, I wonder if that's why the update seems to have been pulled everywhere?

EDIT: Found a post on flatpanelshd.com that states that if you have anything in the headphone jack the TV reverts to PCM 44.1 kHz stereo. Removing the plug alleviates the problem. It says it's a bug in 6.0 that needs to be addressed by app developers. Netflix, Amazon and Kodi are known to have the issue. Removed my Bluetooth headphone transmitter and Netflix now streams DD 5.1.

Last edited by jpfe8851; 03-05-2017 at 03:04 AM. Reason: Found the issue
post #6054 of 8125 Old 03-05-2017, 02:31 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked: 223
Quote:
Interesting - never come across these mCable devices before, and actually looks like something different above standard cables.

If I have multiple sources doing into a HDCP2.2 AVR , does that mean I can just replace the single ARC cable and I'll get the same benefits? And if I do pass in a 4K signal, it'll just pass it on untouched?

EDIT - found my own answers. This stuff looks awesome.

http://blog.son-video.com/en/2016/12...seille-mcable/

So, what is the answer to your question? If you have DirecTV, a PS4 Pro, and Sony 4K media player going into your DVR, and your DVR going into your TV via a single HDMI cable utilizing ARC, would you simply replace the cable from your AVR into your TV with this cable?
post #6055 of 8125 Old 03-05-2017, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radvlad View Post
So, what is the answer to your question? If you have DirecTV, a PS4 Pro, and Sony 4K media player going into your DVR, and your DVR going into your TV via a single HDMI cable utilizing ARC, would you simply replace the cable from your AVR into your TV with this cable?
This is correct. If your AVR is the intermediary, you buy one mCable for your TV to your AVR and it will benefit all the sources plugged into your AVR. Otherwise, you would have to buy one mcable per device.
post #6056 of 8125 Old 03-05-2017, 09:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 3333 Post(s)
Liked: 2203
BDP Issue

O.k.,, here's one for you gurus:

Thought maybe my Sony BDP was going south on me - turned it on one day and got a purple predominance in the image, and no audio! At first, switched cables and inputs on my prepro, no change. Basically just one out from prepro to HDMI 4 and everything else feed into the prepro. Comcast box, no issues. Playing with the settings on the BDP, video was always set to Auto out of Auto: 4:2:2, 4:4:4, RGB. Discovered that the RGB setting would actually fix the video issue, still audio issue. This had been working for months up to this point. O.K., BDP must be going south.

Then a conversation in this thread made me think a bit, took a look at the inputs on the TV menu, all were set to Enhanced HDMI, I changed HDMI 4 to Standard and BINGO. Problem solved. Still scratching my head - why would it have worked for such a long time, then suddenly decide it would not pass proper video/audio when the input was in enhanced mode?

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
post #6057 of 8125 Old 03-05-2017, 09:56 AM

Quote:

thanks in advance.

Hi,
You shouldn't need to order a USB extender. I run my Mcable directly from DirecTV into the 930D HDMI 2 and the USB plug fits fine into any of the side mounted USB ports (I use #1 , no particular reason). The USB part of the Mcable unit forks off about a foot off the TV input HDMI plug (one HDMI plug end is for source, the other for TV) My older 5.1 A/V receiver does not pass through 4k, so I use a regular HDMI to go between receiver and HDMI 4 ARC.
post #6058 of 8125 Old 03-05-2017, 10:04 AM

Quote:
I think you were the gentleman, or lady, who posted about the mCable some weeks back. It was thanks to you, or whomever that poster was, that I became curious and researched the cable and decided to give it a shot. This post would have saved me a headache (albeit a small one) concerning the lack of support for HDR. I setup my X800 yesterday and was confused as to why my 4K HDR movie would not display, I quickly reasoned that the issue was most likely an HDCP/HDMI compatibility issue due to the cable's design.

No matter, I went to my local BB today and bought an Audioquest Pearl cable for viewing my UHD Blu-Rays. So, happy on both ends of the spectrum. Thank you for mentioning that they are working on a newer revision cable, I will be on the lookout for that one and will buy it as soon as it's available (pending reviews of course).

Hi,
You're very welcome - I am the one who published thoughts on the MCable a few weeks back,and glad you're able to appreciate its benefits. FYI, I am a gentleman, though oddly I don't get that adjective coming my way too often...
Pericynthion likes this.
post #6059 of 8125 Old 03-05-2017, 10:21 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked: 223
Quote:
This is correct. If your AVR is the intermediary, you buy one mCable for your TV to your AVR and it will benefit all the sources plugged into your AVR. Otherwise, you would have to buy one mcable per device.
Excellent! Thanks! I just ordered the cable and I am excited to test it out and report back!
post #6060 of 8125 Old 03-05-2017, 11:30 AM

My purchase last Sun of the 930d 55 is failing, screen flashing black and image. Appears I'm not the only one based on other posts in the internet. Never bought a bum TV before. These damn TVs are not constructed well. Everybody wants thin TVs. Whatever. I want quality.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
x930d

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page