Official 2016 Sony X930D Owners Thread (no price talk) - Page 203 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4917Likes

post #6061 of 8115 Old 03-05-2017, 12:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Official 2016 Sony X930D Owners Thread (no price talk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radvlad View Post
So, what is the answer to your question? If you have DirecTV, a PS4 Pro, and Sony 4K media player going into your DVR, and your DVR going into your TV via a single HDMI cable utilizing ARC, would you simply replace the cable from your AVR into your TV with this cable?

My only PS4 specific comment here is that reading the specs, the cable will only upscale 1080p -> 4K up to 30fps.
So I think for the standard PS4 and certain games, it will upscale on the fly.
But for any games that are 60fps (incl if you're using boost mode on the pro) it will enhance it, but not upscale it (so will still be 1080p)

http://www.marseilleinc.com
(check out the resolution comparison table)

At least that's my theory anyway.

As well as the rumored HDMI2.0, they were also mentioning a gamer version of the cable - so maybe they'll address this too in the next version of the hardware.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6062 of 8115 Old 03-05-2017, 06:36 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Since this tv has one of the best upscaling processors in the business, what is the advantage of having an hdmi cable do the upscaling rather than the set. I feel like I'm missing something.
post #6063 of 8115 Old 03-05-2017, 06:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 190 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked: 3284
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckv64 View Post
Since this tv has one of the best upscaling processors in the business, what is the advantage of having an hdmi cable do the upscaling rather than the set. I feel like I'm missing something.
A standalone device whose sole purpose is to upscale and enhance video will always do a better job than the display itself. I have been using these cables for over two years now, and they perform extremely well in upscaling and enhancing 1080p/24-30Hz signals. I think it's great that they are now available through Amazon since I had to import them in the past.

Definition of "Stupid": Knowing the truth, seeing the truth, but still believing the lies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6064 of 8115 Old 03-06-2017, 07:09 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by 805jive View Post
Would you guys say the 930d would be an amazing buy for 1700? Is there anything that even compares for a 65" @ 1700?
First I want to say I'm happy enough with my 55 930d purchase.

But IMO for the premium I paid it is not worth it.

My buddy bought a Vizio M series 65' 4k hdr tv for the same price as my 55 930 cost me and I'm a little envious.

Yes the Sony has amazing color accuracy and a great scaler, it is superior to the Vizio.

But the biggest downfall, and its a huge one for me, is the stupid edge lit tech with blooming everywhere.

Yes the Sony has local dimming but the dimming zones are not that great and far far far far inferior to the FALD in the Vizio.

It really sucks when you are immersed in a movie and something white or bright pops in one tiny corner of the screen and then you see the entire bottome 5th of the screen light up because local dimming zones are crap. This happens all the time.
You can minimize it with tweaking the setting but you cannot get rid of it. And the more you "minimize" the blooming the more you reduce the HDR effect because you are just continually lowering the brightness to make it tolerable.

Are you watching sports or brightly lighted shows? If so the Sony is fine.

Do you like watching movies in the dark? Get the Vizio, or any FALD set, or even better get a OLED.
post #6065 of 8115 Old 03-06-2017, 08:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 3328 Post(s)
Liked: 2202
Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisFreak View Post
Yes the Sony has amazing color accuracy and a great scaler, it is superior to the Vizio.
And that's kind of important.....

Quote:
But the biggest downfall, and its a huge one for me, is the stupid edge lit tech with blooming everywhere.

Yes the Sony has local dimming but the dimming zones are not that great and far far far far inferior to the FALD in the Vizio.
Then you buy a FALD Sony - and get the advantages of that, plus the superior color and upscaling. but yes, I know - could be price limiting.

Quote:
It really sucks when you are immersed in a movie and something white or bright pops in one tiny corner of the screen and then you see the entire bottome 5th of the screen light up because local dimming zones are crap. This happens all the time.
You can minimize it with tweaking the setting but you cannot get rid of it. And the more you "minimize" the blooming the more you reduce the HDR effect because you are just continually lowering the brightness to make it tolerable.

Are you watching sports or brightly lighted shows? If so the Sony is fine.

Do you like watching movies in the dark? Get the Vizio, or any FALD set, or even better get a OLED.
I honestly don't have this issue, or don't really notice it and I watch in the dark all the time. Local dimming on medium seems to work very well for me. Not perfect, but far from anything I'd call distracting.....wonder if you got a boogered TV?
jpfe8851 likes this.

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
post #6066 of 8115 Old 03-06-2017, 01:55 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I agree local dimming on medium or high eliminates 95% of any blooming I see.
jpfe8851 likes this.
post #6067 of 8115 Old 03-06-2017, 02:54 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 90
I have pretty much zero blooming on my set. When I read these posts it makes me wonder what picture setting is being used. I've tried pretty much every one out there but settled on the factory included "Cinema Home" and love the picture.
mdbrown likes this.
post #6068 of 8115 Old 03-06-2017, 10:11 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Well, having played the panel lottery, two 650D, on my second 930D, I can finally see what everyone is raving about. The picture on our latest one is absolutely stunning, all the way out to the edges, no blooming the DirecTV picture on all but the worst channels looks like a good photo.

On the Mcable a couple questions, why doesn't it work with the DTV 4K box? Secondly, isn't it redundant with the upscale on board?
post #6069 of 8115 Old 03-07-2017, 06:02 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 4
My panel is very good too. Blu ray and games from ps4 pro looks beautiful. Unfortunately with netflix i always see bad compression in dark scenes ( with previous plasma there wasn't)
Your netflix experience?
Thanks
post #6070 of 8115 Old 03-07-2017, 06:50 AM

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy1 View Post
A standalone device whose sole purpose is to upscale and enhance video will always do a better job than the display itself. I have been using these cables for over two years now, and they perform extremely well in upscaling and enhancing 1080p/24-30Hz signals. I think it's great that they are now available through Amazon since I had to import them in the past.
I have a seki version of a cable like this that I used on my bedroom 40 inch Samsung entry level UHD TV. I didn't see a discernible improvement...

I have the 930d 55 inch as my main tv and I figured the x1 processor was better than the Seki upscaling cable so I never switched it over.

The Seki is significantly cheaper than the Marseilles Mcable so I'm wondering if it will work better..

I just had Directv installed yesterday because xfiniity has down-resolutioned their picture significantly to the point it was almost DVD like quality with the lower bitrates and 720 on all channels and heavy compression.

I'm happy with Directvs picture, but I found it curious that I had to drastically change the picture settings to match xfiniity when xfiniity looked good before the down-resing change. I have the picture settings where I like them now for Directv. My question is...

Is the Mcable worth a purchase? Will I see a noticeable difference in Directv picture quality? What kind of difference do you see with it. Thanks everyone
post #6071 of 8115 Old 03-07-2017, 06:54 AM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor's Hammer View Post
Well, having played the panel lottery, two 650D, on my second 930D, I can finally see what everyone is raving about. The picture on our latest one is absolutely stunning, all the way out to the edges, no blooming the DirecTV picture on all but the worst channels looks like a good photo.

On the Mcable a couple questions, why doesn't it work with the DTV 4K box? Secondly, isn't it redundant with the upscale on board?
The Mcable is 1.4 HDMI and can't handshake with the DirecTV 4K box over HDCP issues. The company is working on an updated 2.0 or above version. 2nd question - it's redundant since the cable and display have an upscaler. It's hard to conceptualize a little bitty upscaler in a cable augmenting PQ on a big bad TV. The worst you can do is give it a try and if it works, great, if not you can always return it. Good luck.
Thor's Hammer likes this.
post #6072 of 8115 Old 03-07-2017, 08:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 190 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked: 3284
When Xfinity started broadcasting at 720p in my area a year ago, I used the mCable to upscale that signal to 1080p, and found that it made the HD channels with the highest bitrate look a little sharper. But I originally bought the cables to use with my Mede8er media streamers; their 1080p/24Hz output (of Blu-Ray ISO files) are scaled to 4K (4096 x 2160, to be exact), and the results look great on both my Samsung and Sony TVs.

Definition of "Stupid": Knowing the truth, seeing the truth, but still believing the lies.
post #6073 of 8115 Old 03-07-2017, 09:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 2619 Post(s)
Liked: 2333
Quote:
I disagree with this. The unit with the more expensive scaling chip will do better. In most cases, higher end TVs are better than external scaling devices, unless those devices are really expensive.

Living Room: Sony XBR65X930D, Sony HT-Z9F, Philips BDP7501
Bedroom: LG OLED55C6P, Denon AVR-X1300W (5.1.2), PS4 Pro, Sony UBP-X700, Chromecast Ultra
Check out my video game movie edits
post #6074 of 8115 Old 03-07-2017, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyst7 View Post
The Mcable is 1.4 HDMI and can't handshake with the DirecTV 4K box over HDCP issues. The company is working on an updated 2.0 or above version. 2nd question - it's redundant since the cable and display have an upscaler. It's hard to conceptualize a little bitty upscaler in a cable augmenting PQ on a big bad TV. The worst you can do is give it a try and if it works, great, if not you can always return it. Good luck.
So the Mcable won't work with the Directv 4k box?
post #6075 of 8115 Old 03-07-2017, 10:02 AM

As I mentioned above, I just got Directv. I'm pretty happy with the picture settings I've come up with, but just curious what settings other Directv costumers are using. The picture is miles better than xfinitys recent changes, but I did have to lower black Level a lot to get the inky black look, even with local Dimming on High

These settings may seem odd to you. I wouldn't have thought they would look good either, but for me these gave me the best Directv only picture... Anyone else using Directv care to share?

Custom
Backlight : max
Contrast : max
Gamma : -1
Black Level : 40
Black adj : Medium
Adv Contrast : High
Local Dimming : High
Ext Dym Range : High

I know most leave those options off and have black Level higher, but these really gave me good blacks with a picture that pops. Any thoughts?

I only use these settings for Directv. My app and Blu-ray settings are more "normal"
post #6076 of 8115 Old 03-07-2017, 10:36 AM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael V. Cassidy View Post
So the Mcable won't work with the Directv 4k box?
It didn't work with mine. So I traded in the 4k box for a 1080p box. No problem since 4k programming is scarce on DTV, unless you want to pay exorbitant use fees.
post #6077 of 8115 Old 03-07-2017, 11:46 AM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
As I mentioned above, I just got Directv. I'm pretty happy with the picture settings I've come up with, but just curious what settings other Directv costumers are using. The picture is miles better than xfinitys recent changes, but I did have to lower black Level a lot to get the inky black look, even with local Dimming on High

These settings may seem odd to you. I wouldn't have thought they would look good either, but for me these gave me the best Directv only picture... Anyone else using Directv care to share?

Custom

I know most leave those options off and have black Level higher, but these really gave me good blacks with a picture that pops. Any thoughts?

I only use these settings for Directv. My app and Blu-ray settings are more "normal"
Try these on for size. These are the ones that I seem to have settled on. I think you might like them as you are doing the same Medium, High, High, High that I like. I know most dissuade from those artificial effects. I find it looks great with OTA signals.

Standard
Brightness: 35
Contrast: 95
Gamma: 0
Black level: 50
Black adjust: Medium
Adv. contrast enhancer: Medium
Auto local dimming: High
X-tended Dynamic Range: High
Colour: 50
Hue: 0
Colour temperature: Expert 1
Colour space: Auto
Live Colour: Low

I did change the Adv. colour temperature to ones earlier posted I believe by 10K (apologies if I am crediting the wrong person

Adv. Colour Temperature:

R-Gain: -1
G-Gain: -3
B-Gain: Max
R-Bias: -2
G-Bias: -1
B-Bias: 5

Multi Point (10p):
Colour Gamma Adjustment Points (1)
R-Offset: -1
G-Offset: 0
B-Offset: -4

Colour Gamma Adjustment Points (2)
R-Offset: 0
B-Offset: -2

Colour Gamma Adjustment Points (3)
R-Offset: -4
G-Offset: -3
B-Offset: 0

Colour Gamma Adjustment Points (4)
R-Offset: -2
G-Offset: -1

Colour Gamma Adjustment Points (5)
G-Offset: -2

Colour Gamma Adjustment Points (6)

Colour Gamma Adjustment Points (7)
B-Offset: -1

Colour Gamma Adjustment Points (8)
R-Offset: -1

Colour Gamma Adjustment Points (9)

Colour Gamma Adjustment Points (10)
G-Offset: -1
B-Offset: -1

Everything else is default.
post #6078 of 8115 Old 03-07-2017, 08:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Custom

If you set brightness to max on normal content, HDR is probably going to look bad to you. So if you intend to watch HDR in the future, turn that down. I have mine at 13. That may sound low, but I've found it does a good job matching the 100nit level between SDR and HDR, so you get a really natural expansion in HDR.

I have my Gamma at -2, but -1 is okay, especially if you watch a lot during the day. If you tend to watch in the dark, I'd change it to -2.

Black Level should be at 50. Dropping it below that crushes blacks unless you absolutely know for a fact that your source is displaying blacks too bright. Even so, in those cases, I'd use black adjust instead.

Otherwise, leave black adjust, adv contrast, and ext dyn range all off, as those are artificial enhancements and end up ruining the picture by destroying too much of the original source. Keep local dimming at high though.

With your current set up, you're crushing shadow detail, clipping highlights, shining everything way too bright, manipulating highlight contrast way past its intended look, and in my opinion, just overall destroying the picture.

Bedroom: LG OLED55C6P, Denon AVR-X1300W (5.1.2), PS4 Pro, Sony UBP-X700, Chromecast Ultra
post #6079 of 8115 Old 03-07-2017, 09:59 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Quote:
Not buying it. A HDMI cable with an upscale chip, with no way to adjust it based on content vs what the industry considers one of the best upscalers in the Sony, and it's tweakable.

I think this is a case of a product doing things that give the impression of improvement e.g. aggressive edge enhancement vs scaling without altering the original source material.
morphinapg likes this.
post #6080 of 8115 Old 03-08-2017, 02:38 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Does this TV support FULL-RGB? If is there a setting somewhere in the meny - if so what is it called and where to find it? Sorry if this has been asked before. tnx in advance
post #6081 of 8115 Old 03-08-2017, 06:44 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jejje View Post
Does this TV support FULL-RGB? If is there a setting somewhere in the meny - if so what is it called and where to find it? Sorry if this has been asked before. tnx in advance
Dynamic Range.

Home>Settings>Picture and Display then choose input. Options are auto, full, and limited.

SONY XBR-940D
MartinLogan Vision X
MartinLogan Dynamo 700w sub
Apple TV 4K * Xbox One X * PS4 Pro * SEGA Dreamcast
post #6082 of 8115 Old 03-08-2017, 07:44 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobojoe View Post
Dynamic Range.

Home>Settings>Picture and Display then choose input. Options are auto, full, and limited.
Super thanks.

Anyone know what "auto" does in regards to a PS4Pro or Nintendo Switch set to Auto.
Basically has anyone tested these with gaming consoles. I guess they should either be set to match?
Full on console = Full on HDMI input on TV
Auto on console = Auto on HDMI input on TV (this will default to limited?)
Limited on console = Limited on HDMI input on TV

If you google this you get a gazillion results. All saying different things.
Any final thoughts on this and in particular when using this TV?
post #6083 of 8115 Old 03-08-2017, 03:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jejje View Post
Super thanks.

Anyone know what "auto" does in regards to a PS4Pro or Nintendo Switch set to Auto.
Basically has anyone tested these with gaming consoles. I guess they should either be set to match?
Full on console = Full on HDMI input on TV
Auto on console = Auto on HDMI input on TV (this will default to limited?)
Limited on console = Limited on HDMI input on TV

If you google this you get a gazillion results. All saying different things.
Any final thoughts on this and in particular when using this TV?
When I leave Auto on the TV and PS4, it uses full RGB by default on this TV. On my Panasonic Plasma, it uses Limited RGB by default when set to auto. It seems to depend on the devices. Most likely the metadata in the HDMI handshake contains a flag that tells both devices what each other is capable of, and then uses full if both have that flag, and uses limited if one or both don't. So it would likely be best to leave any device that has that setting to auto.

That being said, I know my Panasonic Plasma does support full RGB in the sense that it can be displayed, but it does require a different calibration, which may be why it doesn't send the flag. By my own tests on the x930d, your calibration will handle full and limited RGB identically, so no need to change black level or contrast between the two, which is probably why it sends the full RGB flag, since both display properly without any change of settings.

post #6084 of 8115 Old 03-08-2017, 03:58 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneWildersHair View Post
Some have said they couldn't see the banding in the pictures I posted. Here is one I drew arrows on to show where these bands show up on ALL content. It's worse in person than what the camera shows.
Hi- I know you posted it almost a year ago, but I have the same problem, and I can't find much about it online. Did you find a solution for that?
post #6085 of 8115 Old 03-08-2017, 06:16 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 27
You'd think with all the TV hacking news maybe this software update would be coming sooner than later...granted this isn't a Samsung LOL

post #6086 of 8115 Old 03-08-2017, 08:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Scorcho View Post
You'd think with all the TV hacking news maybe this software update would be coming sooner than later...granted this isn't a Samsung LOL

Get the guys over at lineageos.org to start working on Android TV and we could even have Nougat at this point.

post #6087 of 8115 Old 03-09-2017, 06:38 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucama View Post
My panel is very good too. Blu ray and games from ps4 pro looks beautiful. Unfortunately with netflix i always see bad compression in dark scenes ( with previous plasma there wasn't)
Your netflix experience?
Thanks
Edit, 850D
post #6088 of 8115 Old 03-09-2017, 07:43 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Trouble with Amazon app?

Hi - New to the forums.

We got our 65" 930D at the end of January and love it. Picture is rich and colorful, letterbox bands are black, black, black. HDR content is beautiful. Sound through our Bose Solo 15 speaker via optical cable is great, though delayed ju-u-ust slightly from the picture.

My problem is with the Amazon app and I'm wondering if anyone else has similar issues. Several times, when watching Amazon (The Wire, actually, in the attached pic), the upper-left part of the screen grays out. It cycles in and out, but it's very disturbing. It has only happened so far when watching something on Amazon, never with other apps or on TV.

Other issue with Amazon is that occasionally when quitting and returning to TV, there is no sound.

I know that the Android apps are notoriously buggy, and the TV has restarted itself on a couple of occasions as well. My worry is that it is a problem with the TV. The gray square in the corner of the picture is especially troubling.

Anyone have similar problems or should I contact Sony about the TV?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8197.JPG
Views:	163
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	2015489  
post #6089 of 8115 Old 03-09-2017, 09:03 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Question about Auto Dimming

I've owned my 55930d for a few weeks now and after getting some excellent information from this thread, I think i'm close to getting the picture looking pretty good to my eye. I just have one question regarding how the tv handles auto dimming. I find with auto dimming on, the picture looks quite a bit nicer then with auto dimming off. The blacks look blacker, minimizes clouding etc. but it seems to cause one issue that's kind of annoying. Sometimes with a dark scene, certain areas of the screen looks like it flickering back and forth between lighter and darker. Not the whole screen, just certain areas of the picture. I don't notice this effect with auto dimming off. Is that just how it works? or is it a sign my brightness contrast might need adjustment?
My settings
Custom
Brightness 11
Light sensor off
Color 50
Contrast 90
Gamma -2
Black level 48
Black adjust Off
Contrast enhancer Off
Auto Local Dimming Medium
X-tended dynamic range Medium
Color Temp Warm 1
Color Space Auto
Live Color Medium
I haven't made any adjustments to the advance color temp settings.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by CadeFoster; 03-09-2017 at 10:17 AM.
post #6090 of 8115 Old 03-09-2017, 11:14 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by CadeFoster View Post
I've owned my 55930d for a few weeks now and after getting some excellent information from this thread, I think i'm close to getting the picture looking pretty good to my eye. I just have one question regarding how the tv handles auto dimming. I find with auto dimming on, the picture looks quite a bit nicer then with auto dimming off. The blacks look blacker, minimizes clouding etc. but it seems to cause one issue that's kind of annoying. Sometimes with a dark scene, certain areas of the screen looks like it flickering back and forth between lighter and darker. Not the whole screen, just certain areas of the picture. I don't notice this effect with auto dimming off. Is that just how it works? or is it a sign my brightness contrast might need adjustment?

Thanks in advance.
This is just how it works.

What you are seeing is the auto dimming "zones" get lighter and darker based on the content shown.
Unfortunately this TV does not have many dimming zones so that leads to entire areas of the screen getting brighter than others when something is shown.

The auto dimming feature is trying to adjust the lighting dynamically. So in dark scenes if there is a bright object say just in the lower area of the screen it will cause the entire bottom "zone" to become brighter than the top 4/5 of the screen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
x930d

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page