Official 2016 Sony X930D Owners Thread (no price talk) - Page 204 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4917Likes

post #6091 of 8125 Old 03-09-2017, 03:51 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisFreak View Post
This is just how it works.

What you are seeing is the auto dimming "zones" get lighter and darker based on the content shown.
Unfortunately this TV does not have many dimming zones so that leads to entire areas of the screen getting brighter than others when something is shown.

The auto dimming feature is trying to adjust the lighting dynamically. So in dark scenes if there is a bright object say just in the lower area of the screen it will cause the entire bottom "zone" to become brighter than the top 4/5 of the screen.
Thanks for the reply. I suspected that was the case but I just wanted to make sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6092 of 8125 Old 03-09-2017, 04:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 2620 Post(s)
Liked: 2334
Quote:
Originally Posted by CadeFoster View Post
I've owned my 55930d for a few weeks now and after getting some excellent information from this thread, I think i'm close to getting the picture looking pretty good to my eye. I just have one question regarding how the tv handles auto dimming. I find with auto dimming on, the picture looks quite a bit nicer then with auto dimming off. The blacks look blacker, minimizes clouding etc. but it seems to cause one issue that's kind of annoying. Sometimes with a dark scene, certain areas of the screen looks like it flickering back and forth between lighter and darker. Not the whole screen, just certain areas of the picture. I don't notice this effect with auto dimming off. Is that just how it works? or is it a sign my brightness contrast might need adjustment?
My settings
Custom
Brightness 11
Light sensor off
Color 50
Contrast 90
Gamma -2
Black level 48
Black adjust Off
Contrast enhancer Off
Auto Local Dimming Medium
X-tended dynamic range Medium
Color Temp Warm 1
Color Space Auto
Live Color Medium
I haven't made any adjustments to the advance color temp settings.

Thanks in advance.
Auto dimming darkens parts of the screen that don't need to be so bright to display their colors properly. Usually, the rate at which the backlight changes to adapt to this is slow enough that it isn't that noticeable, but I have found that if you sit off-angle, it's much more noticeable. Viewing straight on and it's basically gone. I personally use auto dimming at high for the best black levels and natural contrast.

Living Room: Sony XBR65X930D, Sony HT-Z9F, Philips BDP7501
Bedroom: LG OLED55C6P, Denon AVR-X1300W (5.1.2), PS4 Pro, Sony UBP-X700, Chromecast Ultra
Check out my video game movie edits
post #6093 of 8125 Old 03-09-2017, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morphinapg View Post
Auto dimming darkens parts of the screen that don't need to be so bright to display their colors properly. Usually, the rate at which the backlight changes to adapt to this is slow enough that it isn't that noticeable, but I have found that if you sit off-angle, it's much more noticeable. Viewing straight on and it's basically gone. I personally use auto dimming at high for the best black levels and natural contrast.

Yeah I noticed the same thing. It definitely seems more noticeable at an angle vs straight on. It's not a huge deal for me but I just wanted to make sure it was normal behaviour. I'll definilty contunue using auto dimming because like you said, the black levels look a lot better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6094 of 8125 Old 03-10-2017, 04:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhassell View Post
Hi - New to the forums.

We got our 65" 930D at the end of January and love it. Picture is rich and colorful, letterbox bands are black, black, black. HDR content is beautiful. Sound through our Bose Solo 15 speaker via optical cable is great, though delayed ju-u-ust slightly from the picture.

My problem is with the Amazon app and I'm wondering if anyone else has similar issues. Several times, when watching Amazon (The Wire, actually, in the attached pic), the upper-left part of the screen grays out. It cycles in and out, but it's very disturbing. It has only happened so far when watching something on Amazon, never with other apps or on TV.

Other issue with Amazon is that occasionally when quitting and returning to TV, there is no sound.

I know that the Android apps are notoriously buggy, and the TV has restarted itself on a couple of occasions as well. My worry is that it is a problem with the TV. The gray square in the corner of the picture is especially troubling.

Anyone have similar problems or should I contact Sony about the TV?

Thanks
My Amazon app is buggy too, especially when opening it - lots of pausing, artifacts until it catches its breath.
post #6095 of 8125 Old 03-10-2017, 04:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 138
I jumped on a great deal and purchased this set. Will be picking it up tomorrow and hopefully setting it up.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
morphinapg likes this.
post #6096 of 8125 Old 03-10-2017, 05:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFJ 96 View Post
I jumped on a great deal and purchased this set. Will be picking it up tomorrow and hopefully setting it up.

congrats, dont forget to dial in 10k settings from page1 to experience ultimate viewing pleasure.
post #6097 of 8125 Old 03-10-2017, 05:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by csrini1 View Post
congrats, dont forget to dial in 10k settings from page1 to experience ultimate viewing pleasure.
Hopefully 10k doesn't think I'm stalking him. lol I believe we both also owned the Samsung ES8000, which his settings also worked well in that community

10k likes this.
post #6098 of 8125 Old 03-11-2017, 01:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2143 Post(s)
Liked: 2382
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFJ 96 View Post
Hopefully 10k doesn't think I'm stalking him. lol I believe we both also owned the Samsung ES8000, which his settings also worked well in that community

congrats! 930d is a big step up from our old es8000, I think you will like it
BFJ 96 likes this.
post #6099 of 8125 Old 03-11-2017, 05:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 940
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyst7 View Post
Hi,
You shouldn't need to order a USB extender. I run my Mcable directly from DirecTV into the 930D HDMI 2 and the USB plug fits fine into any of the side mounted USB ports (I use #1 , no particular reason). The USB part of the Mcable unit forks off about a foot off the TV input HDMI plug (one HDMI plug end is for source, the other for TV) My older 5.1 A/V receiver does not pass through 4k, so I use a regular HDMI to go between receiver and HDMI 4 ARC.
I am having a lot of problems getting this cable to synch up between my DIRECTV HR-44 DVR/ Anthem AVR/65" 930D-

1-I've tried the mCable from my DVR to Anthem then an 18GB HDMI to 930D HDMI 1.....can't synch up consistently (DVR settings Native Resolution ON, all resolution chosen OR just set to 720p)

2-I've tried a regular 18gb HDMI cable from DVR to my Anthem, then mCable to 930D HDMI 1 (DVR settings Native Resolution ON, all resolution chosen OR just set to 720p)

I just can't lock on the signal...or it will lock on, work great, then next time I turn setup on, to watch TV, nothing on, and I must drag out another HDMI cable, omit the mCable, and then I am fine...

Am I missing something with this cable? ( I am either connecting power USB to AVR or 930D, dependent on cabling); the only thing I haven't tried is powering USB cable directly to AC outlet via phone charger plug...

By the way, when it does work properly (big if), the picture is definitely improved, that's what is SO frustrating about this thing....

Anthem MRX-720,Outlaw 7500 5ch amp, B&K ST 202 amp
Oppo BDP-103, Sony XBR-65X930D, Rotel RP-855, Phillips BDP-7501
Paradigm Studio 100 Fronts, Martin Logan Motion LX16 rears,Martin Logan Motion 2's
Paradigm Studio cc-590 Center, Martin Logan Dynamo subwoofer, DefTech Supercube 4000
Roku Ultra, DIRECTV 4K Genie HR-54 DVR, C61K-700, OPPO Sonica DAC, Amazon Fire TV
post #6100 of 8125 Old 03-11-2017, 05:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmacari View Post
I am having a lot of problems getting this cable to synch up between my DIRECTV HR-44 DVR/ Anthem AVR/65" 930D-

1-I've tried the mCable from my DVR to Anthem then an 18GB HDMI to 930D HDMI 1.....can't synch up consistently (DVR settings Native Resolution ON, all resolution chosen OR just set to 720p)

2-I've tried a regular 18gb HDMI cable from DVR to my Anthem, then mCable to 930D HDMI 1 (DVR settings Native Resolution ON, all resolution chosen OR just set to 720p)

I just can't lock on the signal...or it will lock on, work great, then next time I turn setup on, to watch TV, nothing on, and I must drag out another HDMI cable, omit the mCable, and then I am fine...

Am I missing something with this cable? ( I am either connecting power USB to AVR or 930D, dependent on cabling); the only thing I haven't tried is powering USB cable directly to AC outlet via phone charger plug...

By the way, when it does work properly (big if), the picture is definitely improved, that's what is SO frustrating about this thing....

Update to the above post-

If I switch AVR to my OPPO 103, (mCable connected from AVR to Sony 930D)..lock onto a Netflix clip, then switch back to my DVR, the mCable will lock on, and then I'm set to go with watching DIRECTV.....

by the way, I have tried a few different HDMI cables (18gb, but should not matter-no 4k source)...doesn't seem to matter.

Paradigm Studio 100 Fronts, Martin Logan Motion LX16 rears,Martin Logan Motion 2's
Paradigm Studio cc-590 Center, Martin Logan Dynamo subwoofer, DefTech Supercube 4000
Roku Ultra, DIRECTV 4K Genie HR-54 DVR, C61K-700, OPPO Sonica DAC, Amazon Fire TV
post #6101 of 8125 Old 03-11-2017, 07:22 AM

Quote:

Hi, I am not as technically oriented as many of the posters here, but if I'm reading you right, you haven't connected the mcable from the DVR (I assume its non 4k) directly into a 930D HDMI input. By incorporating the separate High Speed HDMI cable into the loop, there are likely handshake issues going on. I run the mcable straight to 930d HDMI,plug the USB into the nearby inputs on the 930D, and run an ARC HDMI connection from my AVR to HDMI4 in the 930D for audio. That keeps the video and audio cabling separate from each other. You also have the option of running optical out from the 930d to your AVR. I don't find any convenience switching video inputs on the 930d - the ARC connection follows along with the video switching anyway. When I first power up DirecTV, both the TV and AVR power up. I'm glad you can see the improvement when you're able. Please let me know how this goes.
post #6102 of 8125 Old 03-11-2017, 11:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Picked up the display earlier

Set it up, but noticing some real bad clouding. I've seen this same clouding from some owners in this thread.

It's in 4 sections top to bottom close to the middle of the screen.

I'm gonna apply 10k's settings to see how they look. Hoping for the best.

post #6103 of 8125 Old 03-11-2017, 11:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Are you seeing "clouding " when playing dvd/bluray disks or when the tv is booting up?
post #6104 of 8125 Old 03-11-2017, 12:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Hi, I am not as technically oriented as many of the posters here, but if I'm reading you right, you haven't connected the mcable from the DVR (I assume its non 4k) directly into a 930D HDMI input. By incorporating the separate High Speed HDMI cable into the loop, there are likely handshake issues going on. I run the mcable straight to 930d HDMI,plug the USB into the nearby inputs on the 930D, and run an ARC HDMI connection from my AVR to HDMI4 in the 930D for audio. That keeps the video and audio cabling separate from each other. You also have the option of running optical out from the 930d to your AVR. I don't find any convenience switching video inputs on the 930d - the ARC connection follows along with the video switching anyway. When I first power up DirecTV, both the TV and AVR power up. I'm glad you can see the improvement when you're able. Please let me know how this goes.
Quote:
and run an ARC HDMI connection from my AVR to HDMI4 in the 930D for audio
I would like to do that, but my AVR isn't ARC-capable (HDMI 1.4), i.e., didn't really want to run another optical cable (to my AVR) out from DVR, but may have to do that....

Quote:
When I first power up DirecTV, both the TV and AVR power up
My DVR is set to just start 930D.

I am pretty sure that splitting the outputs out of the DVR will resolve the handshaking problems; but everything was working fine in my original start up (as described in first post) for the first couple of days.

One other thing, I'm setting DVR resolution to Native On; I also tried just setting other resolution settings to either all (480-1080P) and then just to 720p as someone in an earlier post mentioned. It almost seemed that the 720P setting would do a better job of upscaling. Any thoughts?

post #6105 of 8125 Old 03-11-2017, 12:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by csrini1 View Post
Are you seeing "clouding " when playing dvd/bluray disks or when the tv is booting up?
Haven't gotten to play any movies or games because I can't any video from my DENON.

Not sure why, because I had both video and audio when connected to my Samsung.

I punched 10k's settings in for normal cable viewing and they look really nice.

On a black screen I see no clouding. The clouding i saw was during boot up and not calibrated inputs

post #6106 of 8125 Old 03-11-2017, 12:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yeah, I'm seeing the murky clouding in dark scenes also. Looks like this set is going back.

Does anyone know if this TV had a firmware update.

EDIT. TV has a build date of Nov. 2016

post #6107 of 8125 Old 03-11-2017, 01:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I would like to do that, but my AVR isn't ARC-capable (HDMI 1.4), i.e., didn't really want to run another optical cable (to my AVR) out from DVR, but may have to do that....

I am pretty sure that splitting the outputs out of the DVR will resolve the handshaking problems; but everything was working fine in my original start up (as described in first post) for the first couple of days.

One other thing, I'm setting DVR resolution to Native On; I also tried just setting other resolution settings to either all (480-1080P) and then just to 720p as someone in an earlier post mentioned. It almost seemed that the 720P setting would do a better job of upscaling. Any thoughts?
Just an update-

no wonder I was having problems- a bad mCable.

I bought 2 of these things (1 for main room,1 for bedroom) .....sure enough, swapped the bedroom cable into the main room (the mCable I was having trouble with), and it worked like a charm.

I think I am just going to return the bad one to Amazon for refund, and call it a day.

When the mCable works, it does do as advertised....but still, brand new, out of box? Failure?
Pericynthion likes this.

post #6108 of 8125 Old 03-11-2017, 02:13 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Just an update-

no wonder I was having problems- a bad mCable.

When the mCable works, it does do as advertised....but still, brand new, out of box? Failure?

Thanks for the update - I was just getting buyers remorse. Cable is in the box but using the WL810 wall mount means I have to summon up the courage to setup the stand again while I recable the back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6109 of 8125 Old 03-11-2017, 02:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

We'll unfortunately I got a bad panel. Major clouding. I was more worried about the bezel being bent as that was an issue with this display. Gonna have to take it back to BB. Arggghhhhhh

Now were seeing sections of panel pulsating. Very weird. Took the chance on this as an open-box, but unfotunately this panel isn't in good condition. I will say the colors looks amazing on this set with 10k's settings. Looks like it's back to the drawing board

Last edited by BFJ 96; 03-11-2017 at 03:07 PM.
post #6110 of 8125 Old 03-11-2017, 03:25 PM

TV Apps and Bell Fibe Brightness Problem

I'm having one issue with my 930d which I thought I had fixed but it seems to be happening again. Often when I use a tv app, say Netflix or youtube and switch back to live bell fibe tv, the picture gets all washed out. I have to adjust the brightness by 1 point and then the picture jumps back to my custom settings. I have my receiver hooked up to hdmi 1 with the enhanced hdmi mode on. I also have my receiver set to 4k quality. The strange part is I seem to only have this problem with the receiver set to 4k. if I use 1080p resolution I can switch back and forth from apps to tv with no problems. Any thoughts as to what's happening?
post #6111 of 8125 Old 03-11-2017, 03:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pericynthion View Post
Thanks for the update - I was just getting buyers remorse. Cable is in the box but using the WL810 wall mount means I have to summon up the courage to setup the stand again while I recable the back.

Yeah, after trying the suggestions from Analyst7's post, I set up the mCable straight from my DVR to the 930D and It still was not working properly....so that's when I decided to try swapping cables, and determined that it was just a bad cable.

I am impressed by the improvement it does to my DIRECTV picture; I really was satisfied with what the 930D upscaling had been doing since I purchased it last March with my DIRECTV feed, but thought lately that some channels were really getting worse. As far as other feeds (OPPO 103, Roku, Phillips UHD). I leave them alone with their designated 18gbs cables.

post #6112 of 8125 Old 03-11-2017, 04:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Looks like I got my eye on the 900x. TechRadar just gave it a real nice review
post #6113 of 8125 Old 03-11-2017, 07:13 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 2
which would you reccomend x930d or x900e, they're both the same price right now for 65 inches
post #6114 of 8125 Old 03-11-2017, 07:21 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 5
I just tried to watch doctor strange in 3d and it was so hard to watch we had to switch it to regular blu ray. Does anyone have square trade here? Have you tried to use it on this tv?

My tv also shuts off randomly for no reason all the time... turned off eco... turned off power saving... unplugged.... reset.... etc etc still does it.

post #6115 of 8125 Old 03-11-2017, 09:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 2620 Post(s)
Liked: 2334
Quote:
Originally Posted by layne81 View Post
I just tried to watch doctor strange in 3d and it was so hard to watch we had to switch it to regular blu ray. Does anyone have square trade here? Have you tried to use it on this tv?

My tv also shuts off randomly for no reason all the time... turned off eco... turned off power saving... unplugged.... reset.... etc etc still does it.

It sucks that the 3D is so broken on this set because the 3D in Doctor Strange is really good

Living Room: Sony XBR65X930D, Sony HT-Z9F, Philips BDP7501
Bedroom: LG OLED55C6P, Denon AVR-X1300W (5.1.2), PS4 Pro, Sony UBP-X700, Chromecast Ultra
Check out my video game movie edits
post #6116 of 8125 Old 03-12-2017, 05:57 AM

Quote:

Set and keep at 720p. Turn native off.
post #6117 of 8125 Old 03-12-2017, 06:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Set and keep at 720p. Turn native off.
Thanks. Will try that.

post #6118 of 8125 Old 03-12-2017, 09:48 AM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 30
optical audio dropouts using Sonos Playbar & TiVo Bolt or Mini

I may have to cross post this to get a definitive answer, as it affects only a specific combination of components in testing.

I have been able to reproduce this bug in 4 different family homes as I am the AV installer/manager in all of them.

When connecting a Sonos Playbar to the digital audio output of the 930/940D line of Sony LCD TVs from 2016 (the recommended default configuration) in addition to a TiVo Bolt or TiVo Mini to one of the HDMI inputs of the Sony TV, audio dropouts in sound occur consistently as follows:

1. every time a channel change occurs in live TV
2. every time the TiVo is coming out of a fast forward command

Audio is lost under these conditions for about 5 seconds, then again after 15 seconds (sometimes never recovering sound at all).

Various audio settings changed on the Sony TVs have no effect.

Switching to PCM Audio on the TiVos eliminates the issue, but at the cost of giving up Dolby Digital 5.1 sound to the Playbar (and its connected rear channel speakers).

Switching to an older TiVo Roamio or Premiere shows no indication of this problem.

Sony TVs are, to my knowledge, the only ones that pass full Dolby Digital 5.1 from the HDMI inputs to the Toslink audio output of the TV.

I have been on the phone with Sony, TiVo, and Sonos. All deny responsibility for the issue.
post #6119 of 8125 Old 03-12-2017, 10:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 3333 Post(s)
Liked: 2203
Two days in a row now, powering up TV, within a minute - audio drops out for several seconds, then TV restarts. Thought maybe this thing is doing some incremental updating. Anybody else seeing this? I've never had it do this to my recollection, only a few restarts during mostly Youtube streaming....

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
post #6120 of 8125 Old 03-12-2017, 10:39 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Just got home after 2 months away, nice to see there is still no Lollipop update for the TV. Looks like it might not be coming to the North American market for this TV at all the way it's going.

Sony XBR65X930E | Yamaha RXA3060 | AudioSource AMP100VS | Oppo UDP203 | NVidia Shield | Sony SSK90ED/70ED/CNK10ED *** Looking for 2 x K10ED's!! ***| KEF Ci160ER's (4) | Sony SAWX900's (2) | SVS PC12 Plus | Monster AVS2000SS & HTPS7000SS |
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
x930d

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page