Official 2016 Sony X930D Owners Thread (no price talk) - Page 238 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4910Likes

post #7111 of 8012 Old 09-01-2017, 07:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2554 Post(s)
Liked: 2223
Watched the last few episodes of The Defenders in HDR tonight. I decided to drop contrast down to 80, which reduces the brightness of the image but also unclips the highlights to the 4000 nit point in the content. Watching in a dark room, this can feel like it simulates a 4000 nit TV (with the same contrast ratio and local dimming limitations). Obviously this is only really useful for content that's been mastered at a higher level, but The Defenders clearly was.

The final episode was amazing in this format. Some of the lights in the dark scenes that take place inside a building were blinding, but in a "holy crap that's amazing HDR" kind of way. If you have a dark enough room, you might want to try watching the show in this style.

Living Room: Sony XBR65X930D, Sony HT-Z9F, Philips BDP7501
Bedroom: LG OLED55C6P, Denon AVR-X1300W (5.1.2), PS4 Pro, Sony UBP-X700, Chromecast Ultra
Check out my video game movie edits
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7112 of 8012 Old 09-03-2017, 10:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 19
More frequently running into instances where the TV won't automatically switch to HDR when I turn on HDR content causing me to unplug & reboot.

Hopefully they can fix this with a firmware update soon...
post #7113 of 8012 Old 09-03-2017, 11:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSimmons1987 View Post
More frequently running into instances where the TV won't automatically switch to HDR when I turn on HDR content causing me to unplug & reboot.

Same here but you don't need to unplug. Just hold down the power button on the remote until it restarts.

Seems to work okay in apps, but glitches in HDMI sources.

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk
GSimmons1987 likes this.

Bedroom: LG OLED55C6P, Denon AVR-X1300W (5.1.2), PS4 Pro, Sony UBP-X700, Chromecast Ultra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7114 of 8012 Old 09-04-2017, 06:57 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Question: Does the built in youtube for android tv app support hdr yet? I ask because I did some testing the other day with about a dozen 4k hdr videos and none of them auto switched the tv over to hdr picture mode.
post #7115 of 8012 Old 09-04-2017, 07:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 190 Post(s)
Quoted: 1971 Post(s)
Liked: 3277
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSimmons1987 View Post

Don't hold your breath...Sony has all but abandoned this model. How the hell this POS was rated by some professional reviewers as being one of the very best TVs of 2016 is beyond me.

Definition of "Stupid": Knowing the truth, seeing the truth, but still believing the lies.
post #7116 of 8012 Old 09-04-2017, 08:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 3012 Post(s)
Liked: 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy1 View Post
Don't hold your breath...Sony has all but abandoned this model. How the hell this POS was rated by some professional reviewers as being one of the very best TVs of 2016 is beyond me.
Because they grab a new one, play with it for 10 minutes, and declare victory! Time to move on to the next model since what they reviewed is obsolete and forgotten 10 minutes after they write the review..... And granted, no serious problems right out of the box really (other than the tweaked frames on some of them......and the crappy 3D on at least the 65"). Takes time to see how these things really play out. I had no complaints at first.....it was fantastic. But yeah, after having owned for a year and some months, and having the experience I did with Sony, I will seriously need to reconsider Sony as a brand in the future.

It's frustrating - taking the word of the pros only to find out they were inaccurate in their assessments. But how were they to know? And it's not limited to just Sony....

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
post #7117 of 8012 Old 09-04-2017, 08:12 AM

Quote:
I have a 2014 850B model that got an update as recent as 4 months ago and a 2010 HX800 that got its last update in 2015. They may not add any new Android versions but they'll definitely continue to release patches to fix bugs and add smaller features for the foreseeable future.

I know a lot of people have had issues with this model but my experience has been pretty decent (*knock on wood*). I enjoy the PQ and gaming on it has been a joy ever since they reduced the input lag for HDR. I've got an Xbox One X preordered so hopefully my good fortune continues with it in the future....
post #7118 of 8012 Old 09-04-2017, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morphinapg View Post
Same here but you don't need to unplug. Just hold down the power button on the remote until it restarts.

Seems to work okay in apps, but glitches in HDMI sources.

Thanks for the heads up on holding the power button down...that's way easier than unplugging every time.
morphinapg likes this.
post #7119 of 8012 Old 09-04-2017, 08:57 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael V. Cassidy View Post
Has anyone upgraded to the 900e from this tv. I'm strongly considering doing so and I'm curious how much the improvement in picture quality is. Thanks
I have had the 55 inch 930d for about a year & bought the 900e for downstairs about a month ago. As an owner of both sets I see absolutely zero difference in pq in actual day to day content. If anything the motion on the 930d is better which matters for me as I watch a lot of football.
GSimmons1987 and DJTaurus like this.
post #7120 of 8012 Old 09-04-2017, 09:17 AM

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckv64 View Post
I have had the 55 inch 930d for about a year & bought the 900e for downstairs about a month ago. As an owner of both sets I see absolutely zero difference in pq in actual day to day content. If anything the motion on the 930d is better which matters for me as I watch a lot of football.

Hmm, interesting. Thanks. Maybe the only real difference im going to notice is the jump from 55 to 65 inches. Which is worth it for me for the price. I can't see paying extra for the 930e even if the picture is a bit better.
post #7121 of 8012 Old 09-04-2017, 09:38 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
I would love for them to move away from Android OS.

As is, my next TV will probably be an LG OLED.
post #7122 of 8012 Old 09-04-2017, 10:01 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 1
My family and I were watching the TV this morning and all of a sudden it just shut off. There was no power outages or anything like that it just turned off. I unplugged the power supply from the tv and the wall and changed the outlets. I unplugged all the hdmi inputs and optical audio and when I plug it back in nothing happens. Are there any tips on how to get the tv to power on besides calling Sony and having them send out a repair?
post #7123 of 8012 Old 09-04-2017, 10:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It's still a solid TV in terms of bang for your buck and PQ, it just has some issues that need to be sorted out. Personally I hope Android TV gains a community of custom builders much like regular Android has, and these people could help fix our problems when the manufacturers abandon us.

The thing I like about Android over all other TV OSes is that it will have the largest library of apps and those apps will continue to be updated and supported for longer than any other OS, so it has a lot of value there. However, I think for any smart TV, there should be an option to boot into a dumb mode which has only the basic functionality available, which will run smoother and have less glitches.

post #7124 of 8012 Old 09-04-2017, 11:13 AM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckv64 View Post

I am interested in your comments in terms of HDR performance between those two sets ? If it's more impressive on 900e. Also do you use them for gaming ?

I own an 55 930d and absolute love it on gaming. No input lag issues.....blacks are superb and motion handling top notch. I want to purchase a second one at 65inch and i am curious if the 900e worths the extra cash.
post #7125 of 8012 Old 09-04-2017, 11:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by awinter82 View Post
My family and I were watching the TV this morning and all of a sudden it just shut off. There was no power outages or anything like that it just turned off. I unplugged the power supply from the tv and the wall and changed the outlets. I unplugged all the hdmi inputs and optical audio and when I plug it back in nothing happens. Are there any tips on how to get the tv to power on besides calling Sony and having them send out a repair?
Sounds like you're a victim of the notoriously crappy power module. It's not likely the power brick (though it could be). You need to call Sony, there is no magic fix.

Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Subwoofers:
post #7126 of 8012 Old 09-04-2017, 11:41 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJTaurus View Post
I am interested in your comments in terms of HDR performance between those two sets ? If it's more impressive on 900e. Also do you use them for gaming ?

I own an 55 930d and absolute love it on gaming. No input lag issues.....blacks are superb and motion handling top notch. I want to purchase a second one at 65inch and i am curious if the 900e worths the extra cash.
The only difference in hdr seems to be that the 900e gets somewhat brighter. But at what point with brightness do you say enough is enough. The 930d is plenty bright enough & looks great in hdr. For the price I could have gotten another one now I wish I would have done that instead. To me the 900e was not worth the extra. Not to mention there is some judder present at times which is never an issue on the 930d.
DJTaurus likes this.
post #7127 of 8012 Old 09-04-2017, 01:56 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Wow, coincidental timing. Ours just did the same thing on the evening of 9/1. (Keep in mind, I've already had the main power module board replaced a few months ago.) I have a service call with Sony already to have the board replaced again, so waiting on that.

Here's where it gets weird though: I unplugged all power supply points, did all the button reset combos and nothing. The set was basically dead. Checked again Saturday morning, still nada. Then randomly yesterday afternoon, while turning on my audio system (using the bedroom tv for display) the 930d turns back on!?!?

So, now do I go through the hassle of taking the panel down and letting random repair guy in the house, or just roll the dice and cancel the service call?
post #7128 of 8012 Old 09-04-2017, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas2 View Post
Quote:
Sounds like you're a victim of the notoriously crappy power module. It's not likely the power brick (though it could be). You need to call Sony, there is no magic fix.
I called Sony and went through the process of them having the part ordered and then me waiting on a repair person to set up a time once they received the part. I'm just worried that this will be a reoccurring problem and Sony will not let me purchase any kind of extended warranty. I had 2 xbr65x750s before I upgraded to this model a few months ago. I'm starting to really regret purchasing a Sony and now I feel trapped. I have had such a bad experience and have spent so much money.
post #7129 of 8012 Old 09-04-2017, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richo View Post
Quote:
Wow, coincidental timing. Ours just did the same thing on the evening of 9/1. (Keep in mind, I've already had the main power module board replaced a few months ago.) I have a service call with Sony already to have the board replaced again, so waiting on that.

Here's where it gets weird though: I unplugged all power supply points, did all the button reset combos and nothing. The set was basically dead. Checked again Saturday morning, still nada. Then randomly yesterday afternoon, while turning on my audio system (using the bedroom tv for display) the 930d turns back on!?!?

So, now do I go through the hassle of taking the panel down and letting random repair guy in the house, or just roll the dice and cancel the service call?
I feel so frustrated with the situation. I would not be comfortable if that happened to me and I didn't get it checked out or replaced. I don't know I feel so disappointed with my entire Sony experience I don't know what to do.
post #7130 of 8012 Old 09-04-2017, 07:39 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by morphinapg View Post
It's still a solid TV in terms of bang for your buck and PQ, it just has some issues that need to be sorted out. Personally I hope Android TV gains a community of custom builders much like regular Android has, and these people could help fix our problems when the manufacturers abandon us.

The thing I like about Android over all other TV OSes is that it will have the largest library of apps and those apps will continue to be updated and supported for longer than any other OS, so it has a lot of value there. However, I think for any smart TV, there should be an option to boot into a dumb mode which has only the basic functionality available, which will run smoother and have less glitches.

I agree 100%. Only if there was an input that bypassed all of the smart/app features and was a pure pass through to the panel from a player or receiver. That would be awesome. The entire TV market is disillusioned in regards to the high end market. They continue to push all of these smart features and are more and more ignoring the high end market. Only the ultra expensive units have the best options and even then theres too much to wade through to get the best picture possible.
post #7131 of 8012 Old 09-05-2017, 06:08 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Because it's a review of how it performs out of the box, not a long term review of Sony and it's customer support.

Yamaha Aventage RX-A660
Martin Logan Motion 12 Mains
Martin Logan Motion 8 Center
Martin Logan Motion 2 Surrounds
SVS SB-1000 Subwoofer
Sony Bravia XBR-55X930D
post #7132 of 8012 Old 09-05-2017, 06:13 AM

Quote:
I feel so frustrated with the situation. I would not be comfortable if that happened to me and I didn't get it checked out or replaced. I don't know I feel so disappointed with my entire Sony experience I don't know what to do.
Why is it people just jump to conclusions without bothering to do ANY research? Sony has extended the warranty for power issues out to 31 January, 2021. Granted it would be better if this wasn't necessary but really, it's not like all of Sony's TV's have this issue or that other TV brands are flawless.

Yamaha Aventage RX-A660
SVS SB-1000 Subwoofer
Sony Bravia XBR-55X930D
post #7133 of 8012 Old 09-05-2017, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdbrown View Post
Quote:
Why is it people just jump to conclusions without bothering to do ANY research? Sony has extended the warranty for power issues out to 31 January, 2021. Granted it would be better if this wasn't necessary but really, it's not like all of Sony's TV's have this issue or that other TV brands are flawless.
The information about my warranty was told me by a Sony representative over the phone yesterday. They told me my one year warranty was about to expire. And secondly this is the 3rd TV I have had from Sony due to defects and issues since I made my initial purchase last August. So you can understandably see why I would be frustrated.
Rudy1 likes this.
post #7134 of 8012 Old 09-05-2017, 04:53 PM

Quote:
The information about my warranty was told me by a Sony representative over the phone yesterday. They told me my one year warranty was about to expire. And secondly this is the 3rd TV I have had from Sony due to defects and issues since I made my initial purchase last August. So you can understandably see why I would be frustrated.
Yes, I can understand your frustration. OTOH, your TV isn't glued together and delaminating, is it? There are some LG TVs that have great sound but no picture. The point is, all TVs since the move to digital have issues. Yours are a bit of an outlier but you certainly aren't unique. I had a Panasonic plasma TV before this one that I had for 11 years and it never gave me so much as a single hiccup, I've had my Sony for 4 months and had to have the TV repaired because it went dead. Annoying? Sure is, but a little research indicates that this is hardly unique to Sony.

FWIW, the Sony website has the details about the warranty extension for the 930D series of TVs.

Yamaha Aventage RX-A660
SVS SB-1000 Subwoofer
Sony Bravia XBR-55X930D
post #7135 of 8012 Old 09-06-2017, 05:51 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hey, First time long time. Does anyone know how to block casting on The 930d? My friends keep casting on my bedroom one (65") either as a joke or as a mistake, seeing that there is a 55" in the downstairs that I let them use.
post #7136 of 8012 Old 09-06-2017, 09:27 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajv3190 View Post
Hey, First time long time. Does anyone know how to block casting on The 930d? My friends keep casting on my bedroom one (65") either as a joke or as a mistake, seeing that there is a 55" in the downstairs that I let them use.
Try changing the TV name. HOME > Settings > About > Device name
post #7137 of 8012 Old 09-09-2017, 08:47 AM

So thankfully I got the power module in the tv replaced and it's working at the moment. My only other issue is that the tv restarts frequently. Is it downloading and installing updates and restarting? Does anyone else have this issue and is there anyway to turn this feature off?
post #7138 of 8012 Old 09-09-2017, 05:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So thankfully I got the power module in the tv replaced and it's working at the moment. My only other issue is that the tv restarts frequently. Is it downloading and installing updates and restarting? Does anyone else have this issue and is there anyway to turn this feature off?
It's possible if you have it set to auto-install updates. But it shouldn't do it THAT much. Even if your TV is way behind on updates, there aren't that many.... If it persists, reset factory defaults and restart.

Mains:
ATMOS:
Subwoofers:
post #7139 of 8012 Old 09-09-2017, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas2 View Post
It's possible if you have it set to auto-install updates. But it shouldn't do it THAT much. Even if your TV is way behind on updates, there aren't that many.... If it persists, reset factory defaults and restart.
I had it off for about 5 days and since it's been fixed it has restarted about 4-5 times. If I do a factory reset I'm afraid all my calibration settings will be gone.
post #7140 of 8012 Old 09-11-2017, 11:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
I never lost power to this TV completely, so I never had the power board replaced, but I had this problem with the TV restarting every few days after the last firmware update. I went into settings and did a "factory data reset," and it has not happened once since (about 2 months now).

It did restore my TV settings to the original settings, but luckily knowing this would happen, I had written down anything critical I needed to restore.

SMK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
x930d

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page