Official 2016 Sony X930D Owners Thread (no price talk) - Page 263 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4910Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #7861 of 8013 Old 01-29-2019, 07:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Jonas2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: South Bay Area
Posts: 6,228
Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3065 Post(s)
Liked: 2046
Quote:
Originally Posted by fonz5000 View Post
Any idea why I just get a spinning circle under the Netflix N when trying to use the app?

App. trying to connect, but can't or it's stuck? Do other streaming apps work?


App. might be jacked up. I'd clear the cache for the app. and force stop it, then restart. See what happens. I'm not sure if you can uninstall the app.? I don't see why not, but I believe it is a Sony included app., so maybe the TV wont allow for it, but that'd be my next stop - uninstall, reinstall. Last, reset the TV to factory defaults, knowing this will change all of your settings, but that might fix too.

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
Jonas2 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #7862 of 8013 Old 01-30-2019, 08:44 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Anyone know if the 930E or 800D firmwares are compatible with the 930D? A bunch of sony tvs just got the oreo update and it looks like they're just skipping the early 2016 models entirely

https://www.androidpolice.com/2019/0...available-now/
nirmalspeed is offline  
post #7863 of 8013 Old 01-30-2019, 09:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gomo657's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,051
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 861 Post(s)
Liked: 897
Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmalspeed View Post
Anyone know if the 930E or 800D firmwares are compatible with the 930D? A bunch of sony tvs just got the oreo update and it looks like they're just skipping the early 2016 models entirely

https://www.androidpolice.com/2019/0...available-now/


The 930 and 940d aren’t compatible different chipset.

"well you know what doctor I'm going to go home take two aspirins and call you a b****"
gomo657 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #7864 of 8013 Old 01-31-2019, 04:46 AM
Senior Member
 
archer101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 261
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Well, my 65" died completely. Called Sony they are scheduling a tech visit, but could be weeks away being a rural area they gave no indication how soon. Thanks, Sony just before Superbowl.
This was my first TV ever to go out completely and lasted only 18 months of service. I'm seriously thinking of getting the 65" C8 oled and keeping this as a monitor. We have several Karls in area closest is 72 miles I'll be calling today. They have the same price as Bestbuy and several others on the 65" OLED65C8PUA.

Sony 930D 65 & 55", ZVOX SB700 Soundbar, Sony XT1 Soundbar, Onkyo, Denon AVR-X2300W, Klipsch RP-160M, Klipsch RP-450C, Klipsch R-14S.
archer101 is offline  
post #7865 of 8013 Old 01-31-2019, 09:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gomo657's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,051
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 861 Post(s)
Liked: 897
Quote:
Originally Posted by archer101 View Post
Well, my 65" died completely. Called Sony they are scheduling a tech visit, but could be weeks away being a rural area they gave no indication how soon. Thanks, Sony just before Superbowl.

This was my first TV ever to go out completely and lasted only 18 months of service. I'm seriously thinking of getting the 65" C8 oled and keeping this as a monitor. We have several Karls in area closest is 72 miles I'll be calling today. They have the same price as Bestbuy and several others on the 65" OLED65C8PUA.


I feel your pain I had a Samsung go out game seven NBA finals and last year Super Bowl cable went out and began the mad scramble to find my antenna and lock on to a signal.

"well you know what doctor I'm going to go home take two aspirins and call you a b****"
gomo657 is offline  
post #7866 of 8013 Old 01-31-2019, 12:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
morphinapg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 4,195
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2561 Post(s)
Liked: 2246
Quote:
Originally Posted by archer101 View Post
Well, my 65" died completely. Called Sony they are scheduling a tech visit, but could be weeks away being a rural area they gave no indication how soon. Thanks, Sony just before Superbowl.

This was my first TV ever to go out completely and lasted only 18 months of service. I'm seriously thinking of getting the 65" C8 oled and keeping this as a monitor. We have several Karls in area closest is 72 miles I'll be calling today. They have the same price as Bestbuy and several others on the 65" OLED65C8PUA.
If it's the power issue they'll fix it for free

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk

Living Room: Sony XBR65X930D, Sony HT-Z9F, Philips BDP7501
Bedroom: LG OLED55C6P, Denon AVR-X1300W (5.1.2), PS4 Pro, Sony UBP-X700, Chromecast Ultra
Check out my video game movie edits
morphinapg is online now  
post #7867 of 8013 Old 02-01-2019, 09:54 AM
Senior Member
 
archer101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 261
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Update on my broke 65" 930D. Sony tech called and wanted to schedule a service visit Tuesday and I mentioned being SB is on Sunday any chance of Saturday visit? She spoke with her boss and decided they would come up Saturday, 2 hr. 45 min. drive one way, with the replacement power board.
If it's not the board however it may be another 2 weeks before they can come and asked if I wanted to risk it because there was no weekend support. I guess she means nobody to consult with on a Saturday if the board isn't the issue.

I said sure being it's a common problem. Well, she said there have been other issues on the same 930D model. Don't quote me but I think she said a leaking capacitor on one unit shocked her and the owner. I assured her the TV didn't shock me since it has been moved around since it died.

Anyway called and canceled the LG C8 for now.
I report back how the service call goes.
morphinapg and Jonas2 like this.

Sony 930D 65 & 55", ZVOX SB700 Soundbar, Sony XT1 Soundbar, Onkyo, Denon AVR-X2300W, Klipsch RP-160M, Klipsch RP-450C, Klipsch R-14S.

Last edited by archer101; 02-01-2019 at 09:57 AM.
archer101 is offline  
post #7868 of 8013 Old 02-01-2019, 10:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
morphinapg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 4,195
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2561 Post(s)
Liked: 2246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braveheart_NZ View Post
UPDATE: Rang Sony up and they sent a technician who knew exactly what the issue was and they installed a brand new circuit board and in 15 short minutes my 65X9300D was back up and running again. Sony acted very quickly with fixing the power problem. I am very happy with their quick service in this regard. Thank goodness for Sony covering this known issue with an extended warranty. Hopefully my TV will be problem free for years to come until i decide to upgrade to an 8K HDMI 2.1 set down the track.
15 minutes? Wow, very impressive.

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk

Living Room: Sony XBR65X930D, Sony HT-Z9F, Philips BDP7501
Bedroom: LG OLED55C6P, Denon AVR-X1300W (5.1.2), PS4 Pro, Sony UBP-X700, Chromecast Ultra
Check out my video game movie edits
morphinapg is online now  
post #7869 of 8013 Old 02-02-2019, 02:20 PM
Senior Member
 
archer101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 261
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 34
My 930D power board got relaced. No charge thanks Sony.
Took about 1.5 hours total. Contractor service with lots of paperwork and pictures taken etc. Inspection of TV for any previous damage and plug voltage check took about 15 minutes. Even paperwork for moving unit to position to remove back panel took paperwork.
Anyway, happy camper TV looks as good as ever being edge lite can't ask for a better picture.
morphinapg and Jonas2 like this.

Sony 930D 65 & 55", ZVOX SB700 Soundbar, Sony XT1 Soundbar, Onkyo, Denon AVR-X2300W, Klipsch RP-160M, Klipsch RP-450C, Klipsch R-14S.
archer101 is offline  
post #7870 of 8013 Old 02-03-2019, 01:39 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by morphinapg View Post
15 minutes? Wow, very impressive.

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk
Yep, he knew what the problem was and arrived with a brand new power circuit board after Sony instructed the technician to bring one and immediately took the old circuit board out and installed a brand new one and the TV was fixed. I had power to my TV again, and from him entering my house, to him leaving again, with my TV back in place working again, was around 15 minutes. I was very impressed. There was no messing around. He told me that he has fixed quite a few 930D's over the last few years with the very same problem, so knew exactly what the problem was.

Last edited by Braveheart_NZ; 02-03-2019 at 01:44 AM.
Braveheart_NZ is offline  
post #7871 of 8013 Old 02-03-2019, 10:48 AM
Member
 
GSimmons1987's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 67
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 19
The input lag on this TV is forcing it out of my man cave where I do all of my gaming and into the living room where it’ll be used for casual watching.

Other than the input lag it has has held up pretty well for the past few years (*knock on wood*). Now it’s time to begin process of figuring out what to replace it with...
morphinapg likes this.
GSimmons1987 is offline  
post #7872 of 8013 Old 02-03-2019, 06:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
morphinapg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 4,195
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2561 Post(s)
Liked: 2246
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSimmons1987 View Post
The input lag on this TV is forcing it out of my man cave where I do all of my gaming and into the living room where it’ll be used for casual watching.



Other than the input lag it has has held up pretty well for the past few years (*knock on wood*). Now it’s time to begin process of figuring out what to replace it with...
If you like 3D I recommend trying to find an LG C6. Otherwise one of their newer models if you can afford it. All of those LG OLEDs have pretty great input lag. Although I'd caution against it if you play games with bright static HUDs for hundreds of hours.

Otherwise, maybe take a look at this page, especially the list at the bottom:
https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/be...age/hdr-gaming

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk

Living Room: Sony XBR65X930D, Sony HT-Z9F, Philips BDP7501
Bedroom: LG OLED55C6P, Denon AVR-X1300W (5.1.2), PS4 Pro, Sony UBP-X700, Chromecast Ultra
Check out my video game movie edits
morphinapg is online now  
post #7873 of 8013 Old 02-04-2019, 05:01 AM
Member
 
GSimmons1987's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 67
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by morphinapg View Post
If you like 3D I recommend trying to find an LG C6. Otherwise one of their newer models if you can afford it. All of those LG OLEDs have pretty great input lag. Although I'd caution against it if you play games with bright static HUDs for hundreds of hours.

Otherwise, maybe take a look at this page, especially the list at the bottom:
https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/be...age/hdr-gaming

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk
After a day of research yesterday I’ve actually decided to go with an LG C8 while they’re heavily on sale as the C9’s come in. I will probably end up ordering one later today...
morphinapg likes this.
GSimmons1987 is offline  
post #7874 of 8013 Old 02-04-2019, 09:37 PM
Senior Member
 
archer101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 261
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSimmons1987 View Post
After a day of research yesterday I’ve actually decided to go with an LG C8 while they’re heavily on sale as the C9’s come in. I will probably end up ordering one later today...
I was going to get one also until I started reading complaints about C-8 motion handling by owners with sports even. I'm a little nervous about it. Rtings isn't complete on review. Even gave higher numbers than the Sony Oled on sports and that's bogus. Everywhere else the Sony handles motion better. I just don't want to drop 3k on a TV and not have it near perfect. Motion handling is a big issue for me. Good luck and report back your thoughts if you went through with the purchase.

Here is a little on pro review this forum. Quote" I found that the motion handling with TruMotion off was generally acceptable with 50p content, although scrolling credits did reveal some judder. The C8 was better with 24p content and you should definitely leave TruMotion off when watching movies and TV dramas.

You can eliminate judder on non-movie content using the Smooth setting but that introduces soap opera effect (SOE), so again it's best avoided for TV dramas. However it could be very effective with sports like football, although I generally found the best approach was to use the User setting and adjust De-blur and De-judder to personal taste for sports.


Source: https://www.avforums.com/review/lg-o...a-review.14523

Sony 930D 65 & 55", ZVOX SB700 Soundbar, Sony XT1 Soundbar, Onkyo, Denon AVR-X2300W, Klipsch RP-160M, Klipsch RP-450C, Klipsch R-14S.

Last edited by archer101; 02-04-2019 at 09:41 PM.
archer101 is offline  
post #7875 of 8013 Old 02-04-2019, 09:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
morphinapg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 4,195
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2561 Post(s)
Liked: 2246
Quote:
Originally Posted by archer101 View Post
I was going to get one also until I started reading complaints about C-8 motion handling by owners with sports even. I'm a little nervous about it. Rtings isn't complete on review. Even gave higher numbers than the Sony Oled on sports and that's bogus. Everywhere else the Sony handles motion better. I just don't want to drop 3k on a TV and not have it near perfect. Motion handling is a big issue for me. Good luck and report back your thoughts if you went through with the purchase.



Here is a little on pro review this forum. Quote" I found that the motion handling with TruMotion off was generally acceptable with 50p content, although scrolling credits did reveal some judder. The C8 was better with 24p content and you should definitely leave TruMotion off when watching movies and TV dramas.



You can eliminate judder on non-movie content using the Smooth setting but that introduces soap opera effect (SOE), so again it's best avoided for TV dramas. However it could be very effective with sports like football, although I generally found the best approach was to use the User setting and adjust De-blur and De-judder to personal taste for sports.




Source: https://www.avforums.com/review/lg-o...a-review.14523
In my experience, what people are seeing as judder is actually just instantaneous frame refreshing, which they may not be so familiar with if they're coming from LCD. I am fairly certain the frame pacing is correct for 24p content, even on my C6. I hate motion smoothing of all kinds and keep that crap off.

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk

Living Room: Sony XBR65X930D, Sony HT-Z9F, Philips BDP7501
Bedroom: LG OLED55C6P, Denon AVR-X1300W (5.1.2), PS4 Pro, Sony UBP-X700, Chromecast Ultra
Check out my video game movie edits
morphinapg is online now  
post #7876 of 8013 Old 02-06-2019, 11:59 AM
Senior Member
 
archer101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 261
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by morphinapg View Post
In my experience, what people are seeing as judder is actually just instantaneous frame refreshing, which they may not be so familiar with if they're coming from LCD. I am fairly certain the frame pacing is correct for 24p content, even on my C6. I hate motion smoothing of all kinds and keep that crap off.

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk
For myself, I want a trouble free TV that you don't need adjusting anything. If this means sticking with LED's so be it.
There are some serious complaints about the LG C-8 and sports motion in their Oled thread. The Sony Oled's are better with sports no complaints but the top end OLED A9F doesn't come cheap. 4.5k and I no great price breaks yet. A8F is a step-down brightness but more affordable.

Sony 930D 65 & 55", ZVOX SB700 Soundbar, Sony XT1 Soundbar, Onkyo, Denon AVR-X2300W, Klipsch RP-160M, Klipsch RP-450C, Klipsch R-14S.
archer101 is offline  
post #7877 of 8013 Old 02-06-2019, 01:34 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 387
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by morphinapg View Post
If you like 3D I recommend trying to find an LG C6. Otherwise one of their newer models if you can afford it. All of those LG OLEDs have pretty great input lag. Although I'd caution against it if you play games with bright static HUDs for hundreds of hours.

Otherwise, maybe take a look at this page, especially the list at the bottom:
https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/be...age/hdr-gaming

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk
If he likes 3D, he shouldn't settle for anything other than a 75" Z9D.


Also the input lag on the x930D is better at 1080p @ 120hz. Try that.
Fuzalert is offline  
post #7878 of 8013 Old 02-06-2019, 05:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
morphinapg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 4,195
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2561 Post(s)
Liked: 2246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzalert View Post
If he likes 3D, he shouldn't settle for anything other than a 75" Z9D.





Also the input lag on the x930D is better at 1080p @ 120hz. Try that.
My C6 is easily the best 3D I've seen anywhere. With perfect blacks as well as a bright picture even through the glasses, it looks great. Z9D I'm guessing will still have some crosstalk, even if it's less than the 930d. My C6 has no crosstalk unless you're significantly above or below the screen. So I think with perfect black levels and no crosstalk, the C6 edges out as the better 3D TV, but the Z9D is certainly the much better HDR TV.

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk

Living Room: Sony XBR65X930D, Sony HT-Z9F, Philips BDP7501
Bedroom: LG OLED55C6P, Denon AVR-X1300W (5.1.2), PS4 Pro, Sony UBP-X700, Chromecast Ultra
Check out my video game movie edits
morphinapg is online now  
post #7879 of 8013 Old 02-07-2019, 01:33 AM
Senior Member
 
archer101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 261
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I'm having an issue with 4K UHD on Amazon Prime with the 930d. The image is downright awful, #1 its really dark and lacking color. Netflix isn't nearly as bad but not great either. Other 4K content looks good while streaming as long as it's not UHD. The only way to watch Prime UHD is to change input off HDCP 2.2 forcing 1080p. Any thoughts what's going on here?

Sony 930D 65 & 55", ZVOX SB700 Soundbar, Sony XT1 Soundbar, Onkyo, Denon AVR-X2300W, Klipsch RP-160M, Klipsch RP-450C, Klipsch R-14S.
archer101 is offline  
post #7880 of 8013 Old 02-10-2019, 08:44 AM
Senior Member
 
jasonh_24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 234
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Prob wont get a response but if anyone wants to follow I did ask about Oreo update for our specific models over in the Sony forum.


https://us.community.sony.com/s/ques...language=en_US
jasonh_24 is offline  
post #7881 of 8013 Old 02-10-2019, 09:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Jonas2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: South Bay Area
Posts: 6,228
Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3065 Post(s)
Liked: 2046
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonh_24 View Post
Prob wont get a response but if anyone wants to follow I did ask about Oreo update for our specific models over in the Sony forum.

https://us.community.sony.com/s/ques...language=en_US

Thanks! I'll follow and see what the response might be. I'm not overly worried about getting it, but am a bit worried about the TV getting bogged down by something more complex than it needs. Not sure how much processing power this one has left in it? But I also don't know if this newer OS would really demand much anyway? Still, from initial release, can't help but think it's pushing its limits....

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
Jonas2 is offline  
post #7882 of 8013 Old 02-10-2019, 10:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gomo657's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,051
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 861 Post(s)
Liked: 897
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonh_24 View Post
Prob wont get a response but if anyone wants to follow I did ask about Oreo update for our specific models over in the Sony forum.


https://us.community.sony.com/s/ques...language=en_US


I highly doubt it especially since the recent update came right before the other d and e models received Oreo. IMO if it was coming it would have happened during the last update.....hey I may be wrong.

"well you know what doctor I'm going to go home take two aspirins and call you a b****"
gomo657 is offline  
post #7883 of 8013 Old 02-10-2019, 01:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
morphinapg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 4,195
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2561 Post(s)
Liked: 2246
Quote:
Originally Posted by archer101 View Post
I'm having an issue with 4K UHD on Amazon Prime with the 930d. The image is downright awful, #1 its really dark and lacking color. Netflix isn't nearly as bad but not great either. Other 4K content looks good while streaming as long as it's not UHD. The only way to watch Prime UHD is to change input off HDCP 2.2 forcing 1080p. Any thoughts what's going on here?
That to me sounds like you probably set the brightness too high for SDR content and got used to it. HDR has a more accurate APL.

What I would suggest is first of all, turn down the brightness of SDR, and secondly, turn off lights when you watch HDR content.

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk

Living Room: Sony XBR65X930D, Sony HT-Z9F, Philips BDP7501
Bedroom: LG OLED55C6P, Denon AVR-X1300W (5.1.2), PS4 Pro, Sony UBP-X700, Chromecast Ultra
Check out my video game movie edits
morphinapg is online now  
post #7884 of 8013 Old 02-10-2019, 09:06 PM
Senior Member
 
archer101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 261
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by morphinapg View Post
That to me sounds like you probably set the brightness too high for SDR content and got used to it. HDR has a more accurate APL.

What I would suggest is first of all, turn down the brightness of SDR, and secondly, turn off lights when you watch HDR content.

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk
You might be right I watch mostly in standard mode SDR it's always looked better. I'll give the darkroom a try thanks for the advice.

Sony 930D 65 & 55", ZVOX SB700 Soundbar, Sony XT1 Soundbar, Onkyo, Denon AVR-X2300W, Klipsch RP-160M, Klipsch RP-450C, Klipsch R-14S.
archer101 is offline  
post #7885 of 8013 Old 02-16-2019, 11:29 AM
Member
 
geronemo3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 164
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzalert View Post
If he likes 3D, he shouldn't settle for anything other than a 75" Z9D.





Also the input lag on the x930D is better at 1080p @ 120hz. Try that.
Talking about 3D. I've watched a few movies in 3d on XBR65930d sitting 12 ft away . It always seems a bit off to me.
Some scenes look nice, others blurry and eye straining.
Warcraft is one which had some good 3d in it. Sometime I wonder if it's just me who is the problem with 3d content

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
geronemo3 is offline  
post #7886 of 8013 Old 02-16-2019, 11:34 AM
Member
 
geronemo3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 164
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by archer101 View Post
I'm having an issue with 4K UHD on Amazon Prime with the 930d. The image is downright awful, #1 its really dark and lacking color. Netflix isn't nearly as bad but not great either. Other 4K content looks good while streaming as long as it's not UHD. The only way to watch Prime UHD is to change input off HDCP 2.2 forcing 1080p. Any thoughts what's going on here?
Did u go through picture setting for an optimized pic for your lightening?
Initially I was running higher contrast and saturation, looked more like actual TV colors. Since I've setup picture settings to rthings recommendation and tweeked it a bit. Now the Amazon 4k colors look more like movie theater colors. Slightly muted, slightly darker, not to vibrant. When the lights are off I really like it this way now.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
geronemo3 is offline  
post #7887 of 8013 Old 02-16-2019, 12:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
morphinapg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 4,195
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2561 Post(s)
Liked: 2246
Quote:
Originally Posted by geronemo3 View Post
Talking about 3D. I've watched a few movies in 3d on XBR65930d sitting 12 ft away . It always seems a bit off to me.
Some scenes look nice, others blurry and eye straining.
Warcraft is one which had some good 3d in it. Sometime I wonder if it's just me who is the problem with 3d content

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
It's well known 3D on this set is completely broken and Sony won't do anything to fix it

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk

Living Room: Sony XBR65X930D, Sony HT-Z9F, Philips BDP7501
Bedroom: LG OLED55C6P, Denon AVR-X1300W (5.1.2), PS4 Pro, Sony UBP-X700, Chromecast Ultra
Check out my video game movie edits
morphinapg is online now  
post #7888 of 8013 Old 02-22-2019, 01:24 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Colchester, England UK
Posts: 98
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Firmware Update V5.417 now available in UK

Found yesterday on Sony UK website - V5.417 now available. Downloaded and installed last night with no hitches.

After update TV seems to load a little quicker and appears to be a bit more responsive - especially the 'Actions' function.

Don't know whether its me wanting it to enhance picture but i'm sure that all the HDR movies (via HDMI) i tested last night (disc and mkv via USB) seemed to be a little sharper and not so much blooming on the HDR effects.

Is it a placebo effect or has anyone else seen improvements in the picture quality?

Sony KD-55XD9305
Samsung BD-J7500 & UBD-M9500
Sonos Soundbar/Sub/2 x Play 1's
sonosman is offline  
post #7889 of 8013 Old 03-05-2019, 06:12 AM
Member
 
MarcWalpole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 132
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 10
How does one restart just one app (Netflix) ? getting error message (-100) whatever that means....says to check internet connection but that is fine as Prime streams OK...did not see the option to restart it under the apps menu..
Thanks
MarcWalpole is offline  
post #7890 of 8013 Old 03-05-2019, 06:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Jonas2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: South Bay Area
Posts: 6,228
Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3065 Post(s)
Liked: 2046
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcWalpole View Post
How does one restart just one app (Netflix) ? getting error message (-100) whatever that means....says to check internet connection but that is fine as Prime streams OK...did not see the option to restart it under the apps menu..
Thanks

Yeah, I'll get that periodically, not too often. Restart apps is in settings (the gear-looking icon), Installed Apps. Then you can do a restart, clear cache, etc. This does not always work though. I find doing a restart (hold power button on remote for 5 seconds) almost always does the trick when nothing else will.
jimsmith94 likes this.

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
Jonas2 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
x930d

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off