Official 2016 Sony X930D Owners Thread (no price talk) - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4909Likes

post #91 of 7954 Old 03-11-2016, 05:56 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexanderg823 View Post
A new pic. Corner flashlighting and big band.
Clearly you have a defective unit. I would suggest exchanging before giving up if you like the TV otherwise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 7954 Old 03-11-2016, 06:19 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonDeutsch View Post
Clearly you have a defective unit. I would suggest exchanging before giving up if you like the TV otherwise.
That or there's some variance in quality. Some of the blockiness he's seeing seems to be inline with some of the CES previews.

I need another positive report now! If I wanted to play the quality lottery game, I might as well buy a Samsung.
post #93 of 7954 Old 03-11-2016, 06:21 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 3128 Post(s)
Liked: 2544
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonDeutsch View Post
Quote:
I do. While the black bars are kind of gray with the lights out, the hdr picture is incredible except when things get dim and the clouding shows. But from my experience this is part for the course outside of the js9500. If this TV doesn't drop to 3500 this weekend I won't bother exchanging.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 7954 Old 03-11-2016, 06:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wonderful View Post
That or there's some variance in quality. Some of the blockiness he's seeing seems to be inline with some of the CES previews.

I need another positive report now! If I wanted to play the quality lottery game, I might as well buy a Samsung.
The cloudiness may be a variance, but the banding is something that should have never, ever passed QA. Same problem with many 2015 units. I'm surprised that they haven't improved the QA process by now. In the Trinitron days, I just don't recall these kind of quality issues. Then again, in the Trinitron days, QA was probably done in Japan. Sigh.
green666 likes this.
post #95 of 7954 Old 03-11-2016, 06:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Liked: 396
Quote:
I do. While the black bars are kind of gray with the lights out, the hdr picture is incredible except when things get dim and the clouding shows. But from my experience this is part for the course outside of the js9500. If this TV doesn't drop to 3500 this weekend I won't bother exchanging.
Placed mine on a delivery hold. Hopefully you can get it cleaned up. If not, I will just have to wait to see a few others. First production runs could be hit miss I guess.

Sony 75Z9D, Denon 4300H, Sony 65Z9D, Denon X4311, OPPO UDP-203, ATV4K, X1X Scorpio
post #96 of 7954 Old 03-11-2016, 07:20 PM

I'm thinking the thinness of the tv combined with the edge lighting are just making it prone to this stuff. This matches my experiences with LCDs forever which is why I moved to plasma and oled in the first place. Js9500 was the first LCD I found acceptable and the 930d does nothing to change that.
soapbox likes this.
post #97 of 7954 Old 03-11-2016, 08:40 PM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
The set I saw looked *nothing* like this. I don't know what you are doing with your settings or if you have a defective set, but I don't for a second believe this is realistic. Based upon your pics, this would be a terrible set. Based upon what I saw, I would have absolutely no hesitation purchasing this set. I have a fairly new simply beautiful 65" Sony 950B. I would have no hesitation going from FALD to the 65" 930D Slim Backlight Drive as the picture I saw looked great. The only question that I have to answer for myself is whether or not HDR is worth it to switch right now. I'm thinking it isn't and I'll probably wait for the next generation that will have Dolby Vision.
post #98 of 7954 Old 03-11-2016, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Snigggles View Post
Quote:
The set I saw looked *nothing* like this. I don't know what you are doing with your settings or if you have a defective set, but I don't for a second believe this is realistic. Based upon your pics, this would be a terrible set. Based upon what I saw, I would have absolutely no hesitation purchasing this set. I have a fairly new simply beautiful 65" Sony 950B. I would have no hesitation going from FALD to the 65" 930D Slim Backlight Drive as the picture I saw looked great. The only question that I have to answer for myself is whether or not HDR is worth it to switch right now. I'm thinking it isn't and I'll probably wait for the next generation that will have Dolby Vision.
Well were you viewing in a blacked out room or on a showfloor? Because it does look quite different when I turn the lights on.

Like I've said before my experience honestly doesn't seem that different from the many lcds I've dealed with in the past that turned me off in the first place.

I'm really not sure what else to say besides the evidence I've posted speaks for itself.

I'd like to give it another shot but I mean come on, I can't help but have an awful taste in my mouth.

And this of course isn't even considering software issues where hdr settings move to other inputs and make the image look very screwed up.

When I watch hdr movies on my Samsung Galaxy k8500 the image is totally awesome and surpasses the js9500 aside from black bars which do not hit black. I can even see the flashlighting in the corners with lights on. This slim crazy needs to stop. Don't sacrifice slim for quality.

As far as my settings. I changed nothing from default on the mad max shots. In fact you are limited on what you can change in hdr. Those mad max shots are 4k blu ray pics. You don't lower backlight for that. And there's nothing else to change to combat clouding .

Last edited by alexanderg823; 03-11-2016 at 09:30 PM.
post #99 of 7954 Old 03-11-2016, 09:39 PM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Well were you viewing in a blacked out room or on a showfloor? Because it does look quite different when I turn the lights on.

Like I've said before my experience honestly doesn't seem that different from the many lcds I've dealed with in the past that turned me off in the first place.

I'm really not sure what else to say besides the evidence I've posted speaks for itself.

I'd like to give it another shot but I mean come on, I can't help but have an awful taste in my mouth.

And this of course isn't even considering software issues where hdr settings move to other inputs and make the image look very screwed up.

When I watch hdr movies on my Samsung Galaxy k8500 the image is totally awesome and surpasses the js9500 aside from black bars which do not hit black. I can even see the flashlighting in the corners with lights on. This slim crazy needs to stop. Don't sacrifice slim for quality.

As far as my settings. I changed nothing from default on the mad max shots. In fact you are limited on what you can change in hdr. Those mad max shots are 4k blu ray pics. You don't lower backlight for that. And there's nothing else to change to combat clouding .

But your pictures look nothing like the pictures I posted. So that either means my set is a super panel or yours is defective. It just seems like your set is defective and you are stating that all the 930ds are like that and that isn't the case. I'm not a fanboy for the TV it's better than my old plasma in some ways but worst in others. Part of me want to spend the extra cash and get the LG OLED but i have heard they are not perfect either. I'm having trouble wrapping my head around the fact I spent more than double on 3 year newer tech and it just doesn't blow me away.

But your set does appear to be defective.
post #100 of 7954 Old 03-11-2016, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twennywonn View Post
Quote:

But your pictures look nothing like the pictures I posted. So that either means my set is a super panel or yours is defective. It just seems like your set is defective and you are stating that all the 930ds are like that and that isn't the case. I'm not a fanboy for the TV it's better than my old plasma in some ways but worst in others. Part of me want to spend the extra cash and get the LG OLED but i have heard they are not perfect either. I'm having trouble wrapping my head around the fact I spent more than double on 3 year newer tech and it just doesn't blow me away.

But your set does appear to be defective.
ROFL what looks defective about what I posted? Just looks like a panel lottery that I lost. This looks like typical lcd bs. Any other lcd this would be par for the course. The clouding looks bad but without fald, it's not exactly shocking.

I'm watching 4k blu ray mad max now and the letterbox bars are gray 90% of the time.
iatacs19, soapbox and SnipeUout like this.

Last edited by alexanderg823; 03-11-2016 at 10:00 PM.
post #101 of 7954 Old 03-11-2016, 09:59 PM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
ROFL what looks defective about what I posted? Just looks like a panel lottery that I lost.
Idk the big stripe running down the middle.

The picture quality of the set you have would be irritating to even the most casual tv watcher so I don't think it's a lottery issue.
post #102 of 7954 Old 03-12-2016, 04:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1695 Post(s)
Liked: 1287
@Alexander 823 you may need to adjust the gamma settings for movies as well. Ender's Game was very gray, but turning gamma down two notches fixed the problem. I know pictures don't really show the full problems at times. I'm just trying to help you.

Sony XBR75X940C & XBR65A1E Samsung UBD K8500
My Recommended Daytime Settings Apps(Video), My Recommended Daytime Settings Apps, My non-HDR and HDR Settings, Setting HDMI to show no overscan
Sony XBR75X940C, Samsung UBD K8500, Roku Ultra, DirecTV RVU and C61K, Chromecast Ultra
post #103 of 7954 Old 03-12-2016, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCsoftball7 View Post
@Alexander 823 you may need to adjust the gamma settings for movies as well. Ender's Game was very gray, but turning gamma down two notches fixed the problem. I know pictures don't really show the full problems at times. I'm just trying to help you.
I know how these titles work, I was one of the first people reporting problems with expendables!

Not sure why so many people are so quick to jump on something else at play other than just crappy qutility control on an edge lit panel that's a few millimeters thick. Somethings gotta give.
iatacs19 likes this.
post #104 of 7954 Old 03-12-2016, 05:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1344 Post(s)
Liked: 1029
Well Alex why not just return it and let the ones of us that still have it post pics of what we see. Then we can see other sets views and make a determination. I can say it is by no means an Oled but it is better than any Samsung I have tested.

I can see also some of the things you describe but at none of those levels. I had a weird experience last night that blacks showed purplish but that was feed based for some reason.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Current Sets: Sony XBR65A9F Master Series, Sony XBR75X940C, Sony XBR75X940D, Samsung UN65KS9800, TCL 65R617
Previous Sets: Samsung Q9FN, Sony XBR65X930D, XBR65X900B, XBR49X830C, Samsung KS8000, KU6500, UN55KS8500, UN49JS8500, JS9000, JU7090, JU6500, JU6400, HU9000, HU7250, PN64F8500, Vizio P65, LG 65EF9500, LG 55EC9300, Hisense 55H8C, TCL P-Series (55P607)
post #105 of 7954 Old 03-12-2016, 05:18 AM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Guys, I think Alexander's point of view is very valid. It's true that his set may indeed be defective( outside of the normal operating tolerances) but we can't deny that these types of issues, including clouding, flashlighting and poor uniformity, have not been a constant theme among edge-lit technologies.

Having said that, some set's will be better than others. The pictures @twennywonn has posted look absolutely spectacular, his set seems to be an excellent example of the 930D. But why should there be such a large disparity between one set to the next. @Viper32 has already verified that even his set isn't perfect.

I think we all know, as these arguments always pop up, that edge-lit technology will always have disadvantages that a discerning AVS member will be annoyed with and honestly if they return the tv for even minimal backlight bleed they are justified as other technologies never suffered from these issues. Anyway, just my .02 cents. I will say that a properly functioning, 930D seems to be a pretty good set, @twennywonn set definitely passes the 'Gravity' test for me.
post #106 of 7954 Old 03-12-2016, 05:33 AM

The big problem imo, is that this TV details for 5000 currently.

This kind of variance of quality should not even be an issue in a panel this expensive. I'm not saying it should be perfect, but come on now. The level of uniformity and clouding issues I posted in my pics shouldn't even make it out of the factory with a TV this expensive. 1,000 dollar Vizios are one thing, but premium 5 grand flagships are totally different.

In my mind, I want to pay the 5 grand for the peace of mind to automatically win panel lottery.
post #107 of 7954 Old 03-12-2016, 07:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1695 Post(s)
Liked: 1287
Quote:
I know how these titles work, I was one of the first people reporting problems with expendables!

Not sure why so many people are so quick to jump on something else at play other than just crappy qutility control on an edge lit panel that's a few millimeters thick. Somethings gotta give.
The thin panel is any I chose the 940C. I'm not saying you don't know what you're doing.
iatacs19, sytech and Kahn1988 like this.

Sony XBR75X940C & XBR65A1E Samsung UBD K8500
My Recommended Daytime Settings Apps(Video), My Recommended Daytime Settings Apps, My non-HDR and HDR Settings, Setting HDMI to show no overscan
Sony XBR75X940C, Samsung UBD K8500, Roku Ultra, DirecTV RVU and C61K, Chromecast Ultra
post #108 of 7954 Old 03-12-2016, 09:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Good discussion. Hopefully alexander will have another go at if he lives close enough for a quick return. Got back in line with the pre-order crowd and patiently waiting.

Sony 75Z9D, Denon 4300H, Sony 65Z9D, Denon X4311, OPPO UDP-203, ATV4K, X1X Scorpio
post #109 of 7954 Old 03-12-2016, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davehale View Post
Good discussion. Hopefully alexander will have another go at if he lives close enough for a quick return. Got back in line with the pre-order crowd and patiently waiting.
Nope. This was the only one in stock within 50 miles. Just one sole unit lol.

The PQ is fantastic in full screen content or when there's stuff on the screen to hide clouding... it has a major hdr factor and feels very next gen compared to the js9500 even.

If it drops to 3500 tomorrow I will exchange. If it stays at 5000, I will keep the js9500.

The one thing that pisses me off about exchanging this TV is that there is so much packaging in it. It's unbelievable. You will spend like 30 minutes unboxing alone.
post #110 of 7954 Old 03-12-2016, 09:50 AM

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 81
I wonder if you try and take a soft cloth if you can rub the screen in those areas and see if it removes some of that? I mean what can it hurt at this point.
post #111 of 7954 Old 03-12-2016, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonh_24 View Post
I wonder if you try and take a soft cloth if you can rub the screen in those areas and see if it removes some of that? I mean what can it hurt at this point.
Spent 2 hours doing that. Didn't make much of a difference and I eventually gave up.
post #112 of 7954 Old 03-12-2016, 10:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

He could damage the unit if not qualified to do so. Best he stays on track for the cost reduction and then replace it when there are more available if he so chooses

post #113 of 7954 Old 03-12-2016, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Yeah for a 5k MSRP price no way one should have to rub anything themselves

Current Sets: Sony XBR65A9F Master Series, Sony XBR75X940C, Sony XBR75X940D, Samsung UN65KS9800, TCL 65R617
Previous Sets: Samsung Q9FN, Sony XBR65X930D, XBR65X900B, XBR49X830C, Samsung KS8000, KU6500, UN55KS8500, UN49JS8500, JS9000, JU7090, JU6500, JU6400, HU9000, HU7250, PN64F8500, Vizio P65, LG 65EF9500, LG 55EC9300, Hisense 55H8C, TCL P-Series (55P607)

Last edited by Viper32; 03-13-2016 at 04:29 AM.
post #114 of 7954 Old 03-12-2016, 11:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 441 Post(s)
Liked: 382
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper32 View Post
Yeah for 5k no way one should have to rub anything themselves

Lol... Seriously though, I thought this thread was a "no price talk" thread? I'm here interested in all owners thoughts on how the tv handles all content. I'm in the market for a tv, and would love to know if this tv would be right for me.
post #115 of 7954 Old 03-12-2016, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneWildersHair View Post
Lol... Seriously though, I thought this thread was a "no price talk" thread? I'm here interested in all owners thoughts on how the tv handles all content. I'm in the market for a tv, and would love to know if this tv would be right for me.
Quote:
Really

I started this topic, and own one.

brickyardz likes this.

post #116 of 7954 Old 03-12-2016, 11:27 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 259 Post(s)
Quoted: 12671 Post(s)
Liked: 11901
Quote:
Yeah for 5k no way one should have to rub anything themselves

Quote:
Quote:
Really

I started this topic, and own one.

Technically, MSRP price talk is allowed in the forums.

Seems like this tv will be panel lottery. If you get a good one, itll be great when the normal price drops happen.

I'd still take occasional blooming over constant clouding and gray widescreen bars.

Last edited by ray0414; 03-12-2016 at 11:31 AM.
post #117 of 7954 Old 03-12-2016, 11:28 AM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
I was in a darkened area when I viewed the set.

Is there anyway to tell if the set is receiving and processing an HDR signal? The set I viewed was supposedly playing the 4K Martian from the Samsung player. But when I checked the picture settings (brightness, backlight, etc) nothing had changed from the setting before the Samsung was playing.
post #118 of 7954 Old 03-12-2016, 11:32 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 259 Post(s)
Quoted: 12671 Post(s)
Liked: 11901
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Snigggles View Post
I was in a darkened area when I viewed the set.

Is there anyway to tell if the set is receiving and processing an HDR signal? The set I viewed was supposedly playing the 4K Martian from the Samsung player. But when I checked the picture settings (brightness, backlight, etc) nothing had changed from the setting before the Samsung was playing.

Its possible that since the tv was so new, it didn't have its hdr update yet.
post #119 of 7954 Old 03-12-2016, 11:50 AM

X930d stock firmware definitely handles hdr. You just have to make sure to enable the enhanced hdmi in the Android settings menu.

I set up my js9500. Ahhh, real blacks and no clouding. How we take these things for granted.

I watched mad dogs hdr earlier on the x930d and it did look absolutely fantastic. The 930d does an excellent job of hiding blooming. But the trade off is indeed relatively poor black levels, and of course the clouding because the backlight doesn't turn off or low enough to hide it.

The x930d would be superior if the clouding and column problems didn't exist. But I think playing panel lottery at such a high expense is absolutely crazy and to be honest the 930d is without a doubt the biggest pain in the ass to unbox I've ever dealt with in my life... we will see how the price drops happen with the x930d, but as of right now I'm crowning the js9500 the winner. The 930d has android issues as well that I can't believe sony still hasn't sorted out, and the Samsung tizen seems very mature comparatively.

Sorry to rant on about another tv in this thread, but I've got the two sitting in front of me right now so I can't help but do the comparison.
post #120 of 7954 Old 03-12-2016, 12:01 PM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCsoftball7 View Post
The thin panel is any I chose the 940C. I'm not saying you don't know what you're doing.
It will be marvelous if sony can make the panel thin while not degrading PQ. Can't believe this 65” is only 500 bucks cheaper than the X940c.

Sony XBR-75X940C
Sony SWF-BR100 Wireless Subwoofer
Samsung K8500 UHD Player
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
x930d

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page