Official Sony W800C Owner's Thread - Page 6 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 9Likes

post #151 of 205 Old 08-07-2016, 03:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 42
After having the Sony for 2 weeks now, I've played around with settings using the Spears & Munsil calibration Blu-ray and have come to the following settings which I must say look pretty impressive, very cinematic....

Picture mode: Cinema Pro
Auto Picture Mode: Off
Brightness: 20
Contrast: 92
Gamma: Min
Black Level: 49
Black Adjust:Off
Adv. contrast enhancer: Off

Colour: 60
Hue: 0
Colour Temperature: Expert 1
Adv. colour temperature: Default
Live Colour: Low

Sharpness: 50
Reality Creation: Off
Random noise reduction: Off
Digital noise reduction: Off

Motionflow: True Cinema
Film Mode: High

A couple of interesting points worth noting:
*When checking for the correct colour space from the Spears & Munsil calibration disc I notice some banding in the RGB ramp in red and in particular blue was quite noticeable.
*Also I am not used to adjusting the sharpness so high, but trust me, 50 is perfect for this set, my previous Samsung set was around 25. Also, when adjusting the sharpness, it seems to affect the Gamma level which I wasn't expecting.

Last edited by Mattyo1612; 08-11-2016 at 05:56 AM. Reason: Additional points of interest regarding post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 205 Old 08-07-2016, 02:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyo1612 View Post
After having the Sony for 2 weeks now, I've played around with settings using the Spears & Munsil calibration Blu-ray and have come to the following settings which I must say look pretty impressive, very cinematic....

Black Level: Off

*When checking for the correct colour space from the Spears & Munsil calibration disc I notice some banding in the RGB ramp in red and in particular blue was quite noticeable.
*Also I am not used to adjusting the sharpness so high, but trust me, 50 is perfect for this set, my previous Samsung set was around 25. Also, when adjusting the sharpness, it seems to affect the Gamma level which I wasn't expecting.
It's been mentioned several times that Sony's current android TVs use a Sharpness of 50 as neutral. Below it softens the picture and above adds sharpening. You're very right in what you found.
Mattyo1612 likes this.

Last edited by DoctorM; 08-07-2016 at 02:48 PM.
post #153 of 205 Old 08-09-2016, 06:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question Soap opera effect

Hi - I have a couple questions about disabling "Soap opera effect" -

1) Turning off motionflow seemed to work for watching Blu-ray, but are there additional or different settings to change to make a movie look more like a movie?
2) Since apps like Hulu do not appear to be associated with a particular input, how do I make a similar change for watching movies on Hulu (or Netflix)

In my current setup, I have an Oppo BDP-103D, and the Sony (55in), both are cabled to my router. HDMI1 from Oppo to HDMI4 on Sony (for ARC on Hulu). Two channels of audio from Oppo to an old Conrad-Johnson pre-amp which shares way too many IR commands with the Oppo. (Trying the Logitech Harmony 650 to see if I can get them to play together better). CJ to Rotel to old B&W speakers - Just front, no room for surround or a sub.

If I missed a post about the soap opera effect, feel free to berate me appropriately.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #154 of 205 Old 08-09-2016, 11:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmichaels View Post
Hi - I have a couple questions about disabling "Soap opera effect" -

1) Turning off motionflow seemed to work for watching Blu-ray, but are there additional or different settings to change to make a movie look more like a movie?
2) Since apps like Hulu do not appear to be associated with a particular input, how do I make a similar change for watching movies on Hulu (or Netflix)

In my current setup, I have an Oppo BDP-103D, and the Sony (55in), both are cabled to my router. HDMI1 from Oppo to HDMI4 on Sony (for ARC on Hulu). Two channels of audio from Oppo to an old Conrad-Johnson pre-amp which shares way too many IR commands with the Oppo. (Trying the Logitech Harmony 650 to see if I can get them to play together better). CJ to Rotel to old B&W speakers - Just front, no room for surround or a sub.

If I missed a post about the soap opera effect, feel free to berate me appropriately.

Thanks.
Apps have their own set of video/audio profiles. Much like HDMI 1/2/3, component, etc. they are called App, App (Video) and App (Photo). Changes to settings in each profile are kept separate. So Video-Custom settings on HDMI 1 will not effect App (Video).

Hulu may use either App or App (Video), most likely the latter. MotionFlow turned off will guarantee no SOA, but most people recommend TrueCinema. I've never seen any SOA on that setting, and I'm pretty sensitive.

I would also set Cinemotion to Low. Most guides say to use 'High', but that setting attempts to restore a film-like cadence to interlaced or odd frame rate content. 'Low' provides the minimum function for this feature. Higher settings apply motion smoothing, much like MotionFlow does for 24p content.

So, Medium and High Cinemation are like using Normal and Smooth MotionFlow respectively.
My settings to avoid SOA: MotionFlow=TrueCinema, Cinemotion=Low.
For 3D, I use Cinemotion on Medium. (No one agrees with me that this is a thing, but it reduces jerkiness I see introduced by 3D sharing half the Hz with each eye.)

I'd recommend checking out the user created FAQ for the X850C series of TVs. While they are 4k, the TVs are otherwise nearly identical in features and use: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7usku0ykgl...s-v6.xlsx?dl=0
Mattyo1612 likes this.
post #155 of 205 Old 08-11-2016, 05:53 AM

Quote:

Black Level: 49
Black adjust: Off

After the last firmware update, I've needed to make some changes to the settings....

Picture mode: Custom
Light sensor: Off

Black Level: 42
Black Adjust: Off

Colour: 66
Colour temperature: Expert 1
Live colour: Off

Film mode: High

The recent firmware update affected the black level dramatically and colour to some extent.
Being only a little over 2 weeks old, I will allow these settings to settle in before seeing if any more adjustment is required

Last edited by Mattyo1612; 08-11-2016 at 05:57 AM.
post #156 of 205 Old 08-19-2016, 03:11 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
I've been having this issue with my 800c ever since I got it, and it's gotten to the point where I am finally looking for advice on a possible solution. Whenever I wake my TV from standby, the colour resets to Standard. Well, the profile itself and all the sliders remain untouched, but there is a very evident reset that happens. I have my profiles set to Cinema Home because I prefer the warmer look, and I can immediately tell that the colour has been reset to a cooler look. To remedy this, I either simply just change to another input and it's back to how I had it, or manually go into the colour profile options and select another before reselecting Cinema Home. As I mentioned before, all the settings sliders and selected profile appear untouched, but it clearly doesn't look the same. When powering on after being switched off at the wall though, this issue never happens. Only from Standby. I've even done a factory reset, but it still persists. Any idea as to why this is happening?
post #157 of 205 Old 08-19-2016, 02:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by basKTcase View Post
I've been having this issue with my 800c ever since I got it, and it's gotten to the point where I am finally looking for advice on a possible solution. Whenever I wake my TV from standby, the colour resets to Standard. Well, the profile itself and all the sliders remain untouched, but there is a very evident reset that happens. I have my profiles set to Cinema Home because I prefer the warmer look, and I can immediately tell that the colour has been reset to a cooler look. To remedy this, I either simply just change to another input and it's back to how I had it, or manually go into the colour profile options and select another before reselecting Cinema Home. As I mentioned before, all the settings sliders and selected profile appear untouched, but it clearly doesn't look the same. When powering on after being switched off at the wall though, this issue never happens. Only from Standby. I've even done a factory reset, but it still persists. Any idea as to why this is happening?
Go to Picture Adjustments and make sure "Auto Picture Mode" is set to off for all of your inputs and apps. That may be causing this.
Mattyo1612 likes this.
post #158 of 205 Old 08-20-2016, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorM View Post
Go to Picture Adjustments and make sure "Auto Picture Mode" is set to off for all of your inputs and apps. That may be causing this.
Checked that, but it's already off for all inputs. It seems like a glitch because none of the settings say they have changed, but the visible picture has.
post #159 of 205 Old 08-23-2016, 02:45 AM

Update

Quote:
After the last firmware update, I've needed to make some changes to the settings....

Picture mode: Custom

Black Level: 42
Black Adjust: Off

Colour: 66

The recent firmware update affected the black level dramatically and colour to some extent.
Being only a little over 2 weeks old, I will allow these settings to settle in before seeing if any more adjustment is required

Ok, I think I've finally settled on picture settings which I'm pretty satisfied with...

Picture Mode: Cinema Home
Auto Picture Mode: Auto (24p sync)

Contrast: 95
Black level: 40

Colour: 62
Ad colour temperature: default

Sharpness: 55

Last edited by Mattyo1612; 08-23-2016 at 02:51 AM.
post #160 of 205 Old 08-23-2016, 03:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I've updated my calibration. Despite a couple of firmware upgrades, the numbers are pretty much the same. I see there has been talk about CineMotion High vs. Low. High doesn't insert interpolated frames but it does repeat frames, as can be alluded to as such in the flavor text. The operating word being "compensate" rather than "interpolate". This might be verbal semantics to some, but is proved easily enough with the right video samples. The Spears & Munsil disk has multiple video samples (the best being the rotating polygon with moire internal pattern) through which one can run CineMotion and Motionflow and see what causes the moire to distort and what doesn't. To answer a question above, the best setting for film is Cinema Pro > Motionflow (True Cinema) > CineMotion (High).

As far as my calibration goes, you can find detailed numbers and HCFR profiles attached to this post. There is a Blu-Ray/Streaming setting (Cinema Pro) and then a console/pc gaming setting (Game). Due to the fact that the 10-point gamma is applied to all picture modes, one has to choose which mode will be more accurate than the rest. In my case, the Cinema Pro mode is the benchmark and the Game mode branches from there. That being said, the average Delta E for both are below 0.5. Here are the hard numbers though:

Blu-Ray / Streaming
Average dE: 0.37
Average Gamma: 2.19

Picture Mode Cinema Pro
Auto Picture Mode Off
Light sensor Off

Brightness 5 (~120cm/m2)
Contrast 99
Gamma -2
Black level 50
Black adjust Off
Adv. Contrast enhancer Off

Color 56
Hue 0
Color temperature Expert 1
Live Color Off

Sharpness 50
Reality Creation Off
Random noise reduction Off
Digital noise reduction Off

Motionflow True Cinema
CineMotion High

Adv. color temperature
R-Gain Max
G-Gain Max
B-Gain -4
R-Bias 0
G-Bias 0
B-Bias -8

Color Gamma Adjustment Points 10
R-Offset 2
G-Offset 0
B-Offset -4

Color Gamma Adjustment Points 9
R-Offset 2
G-Offset 0
B-Offset -2

Color Gamma Adjustment Points 8
R-Offset 0
G-Offset -2
B-Offset -4

Color Gamma Adjustment Points 7
R-Offset 0
G-Offset -2
B-Offset 0

Color Gamma Adjustment Points 6
R-Offset -2
G-Offset -2
B-Offset 0

Color Gamma Adjustment Points 5
R-Offset 2
G-Offset 2
B-Offset 1

Color Gamma Adjustment Points 4
R-Offset 4
G-Offset 1
B-Offset 0

Color Gamma Adjustment Points 3
R-Offset -1
G-Offset -1
B-Offset -1

Color Gamma Adjustment Points 2
R-Offset 0
G-Offset -4
B-Offset -2

Color Gamma Adjustment Points 1
R-Offset -2
G-Offset -6
B-Offset -4

Here are the graphs, hard numbers can be found in the downloadable attachment.

Gaming / PC
Average dE: 0.43
Average Gamma: 2.16

Picture Mode Game (has lower lag than Graphics but both can pass 4:4:4)
Auto Picture Mode Off
Light sensor Off

Brightness 5 (~120cm/m2)
Contrast 99
Gamma -1
Black level 50
Black adjust Off
Adv. Contrast enhancer Off

Color 56
Hue 0
Color temperature Expert 1
Live Color Off

Sharpness 50
Reality Creation Off
Random noise reduction Off
Digital noise reduction Off

Motionflow Off
CineMotion Off

I calibrated at night with no ambient light, but my viewing conditions can get light in the day. Numbers are still solid if you bump up the backlight or bump the gamma from -2 to -1 on the Cinema Pro mode. You would want to anyways in a bright(er) room. For patterns I use the AVSHD patterns, Disney WoW, and Spears & Munsil and for hardware and calibration software I use a i1Display Pro with HCFR.
Attached Files
File Type: zip KDL-55W800C Calibration August 2016.zip (497.2 KB, 296 views)
Mattyo1612 and Vril like this.

Sony KDL-55W800C | Marantz SR5010 | HSU HB-1 MK2 | HSU VTF-1 MK2
KDL-55W800C Calibration (Updated 8/2016)

Last edited by wanderjahr; 08-23-2016 at 03:23 AM.
post #161 of 205 Old 08-25-2016, 07:53 PM

Quote:
I have to same problem too. Called Sony and technician tried the Factory Reset. He said they will change the motherboard if it continues to do so. The problem still persists.

I believe this problem happened after an update.

Really disappointed with Sony. Last Sony TV I had, had audio lag problems and lived with it for 8 years until it broke.
post #162 of 205 Old 08-25-2016, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by slauzzie View Post
I have to same problem too. Called Sony and technician tried the Factory Reset. He said they will change the motherboard if it continues to do so. The problem still persists.

I believe this problem happened after an update.

Really disappointed with Sony. Last Sony TV I had, had audio lag problems and lived with it for 8 years until it broke.
Just to add. There's another problem and not sure if the OP has this or not. The volume level goes down after sometime in stand-by mode. After re-starting TV the volume level is back up again.
post #163 of 205 Old 09-01-2016, 11:55 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I downloaded some Blu-Ray movies with 2.40 Aspect ratio and I tried to play them on my Laptop with a HDMI Cable to my TV but still doesn't shows me the full screen.
So I tried to get the movie in a Flash memory and played it on my tv, it shows me the full screen but with half screen like black up ,black down and the movie in the middle I tried to change the Aspect ratio, there is no option such like that, I get to change it by one way "Zoom" "Normal" and two other options, but didn't get options for specific restitution
post #164 of 205 Old 09-03-2016, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slauzzie View Post
Just to add. There's another problem and not sure if the OP has this or not. The volume level goes down after sometime in stand-by mode. After re-starting TV the volume level is back up again.
Thankfully I have not had this issue. I'm sorry to hear you have it though. It must definitely suck.

Also, did you get the motherboard in your TV replaced and it's still got the same issue?
post #165 of 205 Old 09-18-2016, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Thankfully I have not had this issue. I'm sorry to hear you have it though. It must definitely suck.

Also, did you get the motherboard in your TV replaced and it's still got the same issue?
Sony changed the motherboard last week and kept the TV in the original software version. The problems I face with stand-by on volume level and colour profile still persists. I can't think of any reason why this happens.

Will call Sony again and see what they say.
post #166 of 205 Old 10-29-2016, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Ok, I think I've finally settled on picture settings which I'm pretty satisfied with...

Picture Mode: Cinema Home

Black level: 40

Colour: 62
Ad colour temperature: default

I've made a couple of small adjustments which I thinks has the picture looking pretty spot on....

Picture mode: Cinema home

Gamma: -2
Black level: 37

Colour: 57
Live Colour: Off

3D Settings same except for the following:

Brightness: Max

Motionflow: Smooth

3D depth adjustment: 0
3D glasses brightness: High

Last edited by Mattyo1612; 02-04-2017 at 07:45 PM.
post #167 of 205 Old 10-29-2016, 10:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Auto Picture Mode will cause the TV to select a different picture mode depending on source. You probably want it off if you've calibrated.
Mattyo1612 likes this.
post #168 of 205 Old 10-30-2016, 03:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quick question for you all. I know these TVs are 1080p, not 4k, but does the Sony Video App handle 1080p content encoded with HEVC/x265? The app appears to be the same version as on the 4k TVs, but I would worry that the processors could be cheaped down.
post #169 of 205 Old 11-11-2016, 11:08 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Does the chromecast function act up for anyone else? I need to restart my TV every few days to keep the ability to cast consistently.
post #170 of 205 Old 11-27-2016, 12:22 AM

Liked: 10
Chromecast is rock solid for me with the November firmware update. There were known problems prior to this.
post #171 of 205 Old 01-07-2017, 11:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked: 1129
Strange problem I'm having with my 50" W800C...

I'm having issues where the TV will not power on with the remote or the dedicated power button on the side of the TV. Tried this using the original remote, my DirecTV remote, or a Logitech remote. I can only power it on via IP using the Sony TV Sideview app. Once I power it on via the app, everything works normally as it should, and I can turn it off with the remote. I can also power it back on with a remote, but only for a limited time.

I have tried a hard reset (unplugging the TV or turning off my power conditioner for 10 minutes+), and soft reset (holding the power button down and resetting the OS). The hard reset resolves the issue for a day or two and then I can't turn my TV on with a remote again. Such a weird problem that I've never really heard of before, but it's very annoying. Not sure if anyone has any ideas, but anything helps.

TV is running Android 6 with latest firmware.

movies Sony 65A1E|Sonus faber Toy, Toy Center, Venere Wall|SVS SB2000|Sony ZA5000ES|UDP 205/UB820|ATV 4K
music Sonus faber Liuto|REL S/5|Sony TA-A1ES|Wadia 321|Sony SCD-777ES|Sony PS-HX500 + Schiit Mani|AQ Niagara 5000
desk Sonus faber Toy monitor|REL T-Zero|Rega Brio|AQ Dragonfly Cobalt/Victoria|Mac mini|AQ PowerQuest 3
living Sony 65Z9D|B&W 706 S2|Marantz NR1508|Panasonic UB900
post #172 of 205 Old 01-07-2017, 06:42 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
so this last update that my TV just downloaded a few weeks~month ago really pooped out my TV, its laggy BIG TIME. controlling the volume (when my kid uses the tv volume and not the sound bar) its just super slow to respond. the menus are slow, everything slowed down.
even the volume bar isnt in the same place and looks different now, i really dont like what ever this update did to the TV.
very reminiscent of apple and their "upgrade to the latest iOS to get all these features, and then your older device just runs like dog **** and you pretty much are forced to go get a new model.
aint gunna happen with this tV, its not even a yr old.
this release serves no purpose to me.

does sony allow us to reflash the tv with older android versions? i have a firmware from i think 2 releases ago that was working great for me.... anyone know if i can flash it?

I also purchased OctoDad game and the audio it all choppy.. 100% of the time, it skips and is choppy non stop. anyone tried it on the TV
post #173 of 205 Old 01-07-2017, 10:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Check out this: https://us.en.kb.sony.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/75744 it may help.

Also, there are many that recommend doing a factory reset after an OS upgrade. I personally would try to avoid it like the plague because of the inconvenience, but considering most people are seeing performance improvement from Marshmallow, you might want to think about it.
post #174 of 205 Old 01-07-2017, 10:53 PM

Anyone know if the Google assistant in the me android marshmallow actually responds back using audio to questions?
post #175 of 205 Old 01-08-2017, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Check out this: https://us.en.kb.sony.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/75744 it may help.

Also, there are many that recommend doing a factory reset after an OS upgrade. I personally would try to avoid it like the plague because of the inconvenience, but considering most people are seeing performance improvement from Marshmallow, you might want to think about it.
pretty much what i was going to do outside of the inconvenience factor you mentioned.
was really not wanting to go through that.

funny how the "whats new" information when i downloaded the update didnt have any of what the link above mentions.
post #176 of 205 Old 01-10-2017, 08:31 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatuglyguy View Post
Strange problem I'm having with my 50" W800C...

I'm having issues where the TV will not power on with the remote or the dedicated power button on the side of the TV. Tried this using the original remote, my DirecTV remote, or a Logitech remote. I can only power it on via IP using the Sony TV Sideview app. Once I power it on via the app, everything works normally as it should, and I can turn it off with the remote. I can also power it back on with a remote, but only for a limited time.

I have tried a hard reset (unplugging the TV or turning off my power conditioner for 10 minutes+), and soft reset (holding the power button down and resetting the OS). The hard reset resolves the issue for a day or two and then I can't turn my TV on with a remote again. Such a weird problem that I've never really heard of before, but it's very annoying. Not sure if anyone has any ideas, but anything helps.

TV is running Android 6 with latest firmware.
I was having a similar problem. I changed the Power Eco setting from Low to High and so far that has fixed it.

Oppo BDP-105 Player
Musical Paradise MP-301 MK3 Tube Amp x 3
Paradigm Studio 60 v2 x 5 Speakers
Sony Bravia KDL-55W800C TV
post #177 of 205 Old 01-12-2017, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Apps have their own set of video/audio profiles. Much like HDMI 1/2/3, component, etc. they are called App, App (Video) and App (Photo). Changes to settings in each profile are kept separate. So Video-Custom settings on HDMI 1 will not effect App (Video).

Hulu may use either App or App (Video), most likely the latter. MotionFlow turned off will guarantee no SOA, but most people recommend TrueCinema. I've never seen any SOA on that setting, and I'm pretty sensitive.

I would also set Cinemotion to Low. Most guides say to use 'High', but that setting attempts to restore a film-like cadence to interlaced or odd frame rate content. 'Low' provides the minimum function for this feature. Higher settings apply motion smoothing, much like MotionFlow does for 24p content.

So, Medium and High Cinemation are like using Normal and Smooth MotionFlow respectively.
My settings to avoid SOA: MotionFlow=TrueCinema, Cinemotion=Low.
For 3D, I use Cinemotion on Medium. (No one agrees with me that this is a thing, but it reduces jerkiness I see introduced by 3D sharing half the Hz with each eye.)

I'd recommend checking out the user created FAQ for the X850C series of TVs. While they are 4k, the TVs are otherwise nearly identical in features and use: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7usku0ykgl...s-v6.xlsx?dl=0
Thank you DoctorM! I changed Motionflow True Cinema to Low and it has gone a long way to removing the "Jerkiness" as you put it.
DoctorM likes this.

post #178 of 205 Old 01-14-2017, 08:16 PM

Quote:

i reset the tv completely and its only marginally better, but it is better.
im still pretty pissed i did the last 2 updates, the tv was way faster out of the box than it is now.
post #179 of 205 Old 02-19-2017, 11:34 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
how is Android 6.0 working for you guys?
post #180 of 205 Old 02-19-2017, 09:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I know people have had mixed results across Sony TVs with Marshmallow, but my mother's W800C has worked just fine.

Mind you, Google TV & Movies takes serious intervention to neuter its ad-ware tendencies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
calibration , kdl-50w800c , KDL-55W800C , Sony , W800C

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page