Vizio 2016 P-Series UHD/HDR TVs no price talk please - Page 23 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2448Likes

post #661 of 3197 Old 03-23-2016, 02:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by capt.video View Post
Don't really care about how thick the set is its the width that concerns me as Vizio had stopped with the center stands and does the the leg style now as I won't be wall mounting or buying a new media stand anytime soon its looks like a deal breaker for now ... I have a center stand M series that works perfect now so maybe Samsung or Sony as LG is out b/c they continue to put only 3 hdmi on their sets...

http://www.amazon.com/ShopJimmy-Univ...rch_detailpage

Samsung UN50HU8550, Vizio P602ui-B3 & Vizio M43‑C1.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #662 of 3197 Old 03-23-2016, 02:18 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked: 144
are there any reviews out for this TV yet?
EJSLP likes this.
post #663 of 3197 Old 03-23-2016, 02:19 PM

Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Will the lack of tuner effect me? I get limited channels included with my internet service. I don't have a cable box, just plug right into the cable jack on the tv. I assume that should still work with digital channels?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #664 of 3197 Old 03-23-2016, 02:22 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by reallynotnick View Post
Why? Does DD+ not support ARC HDMI? Like is that not possible period? Can the TV decode DD+ (not the base DD) and output it in PCM over the ARC? As that would be fine if it could do that.

EDIT: I guess that's just how ARC works, and no it can't do anything higher than PCM 2.0 so that's not an option either. Seems like a really silly design, but I guess that's just what it is. I guess the only option would to have a dedicated HDMI out for just audio, but even that may not be possible.
Oh well, no knock against Vizio, just a sad fact of life.
That is not how ARC works. HDMI ARC can support up to DD+, 192 kHz stereo PCM, and DTS-HD High Resolution. The problem is that many current TV SoCs support one, and only one, audio output format, and the audio signal has to be shared with the optical SPDIF output. And SPDIF is limited to DD, 48 kHz stereo PCM, and DTS.

So for TV makers it's either support for DD+ on ARC, or a working optical output, but not both at the same time. And they don't seem to want to bother to fix this, therefore DD on SPDIF and ARC it is.
post #665 of 3197 Old 03-23-2016, 02:25 PM
VBB
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1060 Post(s)
Liked: 924
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick98761 View Post
Will the lack of tuner effect me? I get limited channels included with my internet service. I don't have a cable box, just plug right into the cable jack on the tv. I assume that should still work with digital channels?
Nope. Since there is no tuner, you won't be able to use QAM anymore either. There won't be anything to plug your cable into on the TV.
Ph8te likes this.

Henry

LG OLED65C7P | Denon AVR-X3500H | ELAC Uni-Fi x7 | ELAC Debut 2.0 SUB3030 x2
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 | LAV Filters | madVR | MPC-HC | Plex | X-Rite i1Display Pro | DisplayCAL | HCFR
post #666 of 3197 Old 03-23-2016, 02:27 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 7027 Post(s)
Liked: 7112
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanb61 View Post
Hey Matt! Thanks for joining! A lot of people here excited about your new lineup. Main question I have is will we see these P series with black bezels? I am sure you can't comment on this but it would be awesome if you did. As you'll see a lot of folks here who care about such things would prefer that to silver.

I doubt it, at least until a new model year. Vizio hasn't ever cosmetically changed their TVs midstream.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipse01 View Post
are there any reviews out for this TV yet?

Not that have been posted. This was somewhat of a surprise release. So I wouldn't expect reviews for a little bit.

Quote:

You would need a cable box (most places offer them for cheap or free). No tuner, means that it isn't able to pull the channels (no Coax). Most places now require a box for digital cable as they have moved to encrypted SDV.

Sent from nowhere
post #667 of 3197 Old 03-23-2016, 02:28 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 7027 Post(s)
Liked: 7112
On the tuner front, I wonder if the decision was based in part on the lack of ASTC 3.0. Maybe once that comes out/gets implemented we will see the tuner added back.

Sent from nowhere
HockeyoAJB likes this.
post #668 of 3197 Old 03-23-2016, 02:28 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by C0pp3r View Post
Man, this release has really made things more difficult. I had everything narrowed down to a 60" Samsung JS8000 for $1999+tx CAD or a 65" Vizio M65-C1 for $1869+tx CAD. I will mainly watch Netflix, Plex, NFL Football (via GamePass/Roku) and PS4. The sports motion issues of the M65 we a little concerning to me, and I was agonizing between the two sets. Now this comes along, and it may not even be released in Canada!? (Though I doubt that to be true... seems like a huge loss of a potential market.)
If it doesn't come to Canada, there will be a lot of angry Canadians, but I know what you mean I've been looking for a while now and I finally narrowed it down between the 2 models, and then this comes along, with everything I was looking for at a much better price.

in the end it may come down to cross border shopping, do you think I can strap a 75" display to my Miata.

Border: anything to declare?
me: Just this little TV.

Joe
post #669 of 3197 Old 03-23-2016, 02:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 122 Post(s)
Quoted: 3333 Post(s)
Liked: 6192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
I doubt it, at least until a new model year. Vizio hasn't ever cosmetically changed their TVs midstream.

Not that have been posted. This was somewhat of a surprise release. So I wouldn't expect reviews for a little bit.

You would need a cable box (most places offer them for cheap or free). No tuner, means that it isn't able to pull the channels (no Coax). Most places now require a box for digital cable as they have moved to encrypted SDV.

Sent from nowhere
Best Buy is showing in-store pickup as early as Friday so I assume we'll see some user feedback very soon.

SONY Z9F LCD Master Series Owners Thread
Vizio 2016 P series FAQ, general info and Help
Sony Z9F 75, Vizio P75C1 UHD/HDR/DV, Pioneer Elite SC-95, Samsung UHD Bluray K8500, AppleTV 4K, CC Ultra
post #670 of 3197 Old 03-23-2016, 02:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 977 Post(s)
Liked: 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandstormGT View Post
Good question, the Live TV is obviously going to be coming through your Cable/Satellite box like always, and being that the tablet doesn't have a iR blaster on it, I'm not sure how it would possibly be able to control that set-top box through their app.

I have a tablet I use for TV sometimes that has Peel Smart Remote on it, which you setup by giving it your cable/sat provider and your zipcode, it then conglomerates all of the available channels you get and gives you metadata for them, if you click on the show and watch, the tablet app will send out an IR command to the set-top box and change the channel, but with the Vizio tablet not having iR blaster, it will have to work differently or not at all(only dumb remote works for live TV maybe).
Technically, it would be possible to incorporate DirecTV receiver control into the app if Vizio/Google wanted to take the time to do it. The Genie is 100% IP controllable and they have their own Android/IOS app that can be used to control it. You can even set it to record something from half way around the world as long as it has power (it can be in standby mode) and both you and the receiver have Internet access. In fact, other remote control apps like Simple Control (formerly Roomie Remote) already have the Genie as an IP controllable device with all of the necessary codes, auto discover capability, and full programming guide features if you pay the Roomie guide service subscription. I don't use Simple Control's in-app guide, though as I find the DirecTV app to be superior for control of the Genie. I just hit the "Watch DirecTV" activity icon in Roomie Remote to automatically power it on and switch my AVR (which is also IP controllable) to the proper input and then open the DirecTV app manually. I still wish there was a way to launch the DirecTV app directly from Simple Control and a way to return directly to Simple Control from the DirecTV app, but that piece of the puzzle is still missing. Note: I primarily use my iPad for all of the above, but will occasionally use my iPhone if the iPad was taken upstairs.
bluemoon737 and SandstormGT like this.
post #671 of 3197 Old 03-23-2016, 02:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 122 Post(s)
Quoted: 3333 Post(s)
Liked: 6192
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyoAJB View Post
Technically, it would be possible to incorporate DirecTV receiver control into the app if Vizio/Google wanted to take the time to do it. The Genie is 100% IP controllable and they have their own Android/IOS app that can be used to control it. You can even set it to record something from half way around the world as long as it has power (it can be in standby mode) and both you and the receiver have Internet access. In fact, other remote control apps like Simple Control (formerly Roomie Remote) already have the Genie as an IP controllable device with all of the necessary codes, auto discover capability, and full programming guide features if you pay the Roomie guide service subscription. I don't use Simple Control's in-app guide, though as I find the DirecTV app to be superior for control of the Genie. I just hit the "Watch DirecTV" activity icon in Roomie Remote to automatically power it on and switch my AVR (which is also IP controllable) to the proper input and then open the DirecTV app manually. I still wish there was a way to launch the DirecTV app directly from Simple Control and a way to return directly to Simple Control from the DirecTV app, but that piece of the puzzle is still missing. Note: I primarily use my iPad for all of the above, but will occasionally use my iPhone if the iPad was taken upstairs.
It's really what's missing for universal remotes.... a central IP controller with "widgets" for the various devices you want to integrate.

SONY Z9F LCD Master Series Owners Thread
Vizio 2016 P series FAQ, general info and Help
Sony Z9F 75, Vizio P75C1 UHD/HDR/DV, Pioneer Elite SC-95, Samsung UHD Bluray K8500, AppleTV 4K, CC Ultra
post #672 of 3197 Old 03-23-2016, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBB View Post
Nope. Since there is no tuner, you won't be able to use QAM anymore either. There won't be anything to plug your cable into on the TV.

Guess I'll search for some sort of dongle or something to plug into HDMI. I don't want to ask the cable co. I just randomly realized I get almost the entire cable lineup by hooking up to a tv. Be a bummer to lose that perk :-)
post #673 of 3197 Old 03-23-2016, 03:04 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Available in St. Louis for pick-up today from the Best Buy warehouse but none in local stores.
post #674 of 3197 Old 03-23-2016, 03:07 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Scott,

Would you be able to ask your insiders if they know when the P-series will be released in Canada? For us Canadians. Please, if you can!

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk
post #675 of 3197 Old 03-23-2016, 03:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2153 Post(s)
Liked: 2280
Quote:
Originally Posted by stljrs View Post
Available in St. Louis for pick-up today from the Best Buy warehouse but none in local stores.
likewise where I live. That means it will probably hit stores this weekend or early next week. I originally ordered one for store pickup, but the center is right next to me. I can pick it up tonight if I want, but won't be home
post #676 of 3197 Old 03-23-2016, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Quoted: 1881 Post(s)
Liked: 4919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
On the tuner front, I wonder if the decision was based in part on the lack of ASTC 3.0. Maybe once that comes out/gets implemented we will see the tuner added back.
I was thinking the same thing...
post #677 of 3197 Old 03-23-2016, 03:12 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by refraxion View Post
Scott,

Would you be able to ask your insiders if they know when the P-series will be released in Canada? For us Canadians. Please, if you can!

Please, pretty please with prices on top .!.
post #678 of 3197 Old 03-23-2016, 03:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabaeus View Post
That is not how ARC works. HDMI ARC can support up to DD+, 192 kHz stereo PCM, and DTS-HD High Resolution. The problem is that many current TV SoCs support one, and only one, audio output format, and the audio signal has to be shared with the optical SPDIF output. And SPDIF is limited to DD, 48 kHz stereo PCM, and DTS.

So for TV makers it's either support for DD+ on ARC, or a working optical output, but not both at the same time. And they don't seem to want to bother to fix this, therefore DD on SPDIF and ARC it is.
That's only half the problem. The other half is, what do AV receivers support? I've never seen it on a spec sheet, so who knows, but probably the same formats they support via SPDIF. The only mandatory format is 2-channel PCM.
post #679 of 3197 Old 03-23-2016, 03:13 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Quote:
Guess I'll search for some sort of dongle or something to plug into HDMI. I don't want to ask the cable co. I just randomly realized I get almost the entire cable lineup by hooking up to a tv. Be a bummer to lose that perk :-)
I have already seen several links posted by folks here to OTA tuners on Amazon. You can get as crazy or as basic as you want, but all you need is an External OverTheAir(OTA) Tuner.
post #680 of 3197 Old 03-23-2016, 03:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattopotamus View Post
likewise where I live. That means it will probably hit stores this weekend or early next week. I originally ordered one for store pickup, but the center is right next to me. I can pick it up tonight if I want, but won't be home
I just got the pick up email,.
Kadath and refraxion like this.
post #681 of 3197 Old 03-23-2016, 03:18 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattopotamus View Post
I just got the pick up email,.
Please do share your experience!!

post #682 of 3197 Old 03-23-2016, 03:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by refraxion View Post
Please do share your experience!!

I'll get it tomorrow after work. It will be side by side with a 65" js8500, so I will have a good comparison.
post #683 of 3197 Old 03-23-2016, 03:27 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Apparently my local store here in the bay area has all sizes including the 75" for pickup today!

Now If I only wasn't broke, the 75 would be the new tv in the family room.

ADDED: I may have to leave the house today (my only day off so im trying to avoid at all cost). If I do, I'll swing by BestBuy and take pictures of all the new P series for the first post of the page

Drive Fast Take Chances
Speakers: Klipsch KLF 30's, Klipsch C-7, Klipsch RS-52, Klipsch RP-250S, Klipsch RP-140SA; Sub's: 2 x HSU VTF 3.3's
Receiver: Denon X7200; Bluray Player: Xbox One X
Projector: JVC RS440K; Screen: Elite Screens Sable Frame 100-inch 16:9

Last edited by Dalumberjack; 03-23-2016 at 03:35 PM.
post #684 of 3197 Old 03-23-2016, 03:28 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTV Programmer View Post
The fact is that in some areas of the country 21% of TV households rely on OTA only and they should not be left behind by TV manufacturers or forced to buy an outboard tuner. I'm surprised and disappointed that the FCC allowed Vizio to do this.
Assuming your numbers are correct, why should the 79% that have no use for a TV with a tuner subsidize the 21% that do?

This is a smart move by Vizio.

Samsung UN50HU8550, Vizio P602ui-B3 & Vizio M43‑C1.
post #685 of 3197 Old 03-23-2016, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandstormGT View Post
I have already seen several links posted by folks here to OTA tuners on Amazon. You can get as crazy or as basic as you want, but all you need is an External OverTheAir(OTA) Tuner.

I need a tuner for cable not Ota. Different things right?
post #686 of 3197 Old 03-23-2016, 03:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabaeus View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by reallynotnick View Post
Why? Does DD+ not support ARC HDMI? Like is that not possible period? Can the TV decode DD+ (not the base DD) and output it in PCM over the ARC? As that would be fine if it could do that.

EDIT: I guess that's just how ARC works, and no it can't do anything higher than PCM 2.0 so that's not an option either. Seems like a really silly design, but I guess that's just what it is. I guess the only option would to have a dedicated HDMI out for just audio, but even that may not be possible.
Oh well, no knock against Vizio, just a sad fact of life.

Huh, that makes more sense. I kind of wondered why it was artificially limited to SPDIF standards. Everything I read seemed to state it as a fact it had to be that way. So I take it no TVs out there support a wider array of audio options?
post #687 of 3197 Old 03-23-2016, 03:35 PM

Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalumberjack View Post
Apparently my local store here in the bay area has all sizes including the 75" for pickup today!

they're in stock at both locations here in the city as well. one said they'll have it on display later tonight.
LG4k likes this.
post #688 of 3197 Old 03-23-2016, 03:37 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 4570 Post(s)
Liked: 4224
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTV Programmer View Post
The fact is that in some areas of the country 21% of TV households rely on OTA only and they should not be left behind by TV manufacturers or forced to buy an outboard tuner. I'm surprised and disappointed that the FCC allowed Vizio to do this.
TiVo OTA DVR for $50, sure, you'll have to pay $150 per year for guide data but you're also getting a 4 tuner DVR with all the main OTT apps like Amazon, Netflix and YouTube. If you watch Woot! they've had this model(refurb) for as little as $25.
post #689 of 3197 Old 03-23-2016, 03:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 527 Post(s)
Liked: 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalumberjack View Post

ADDED: I may have to leave the house today (my only day off so im trying to avoid at all cost). If I do, I'll swing by BestBuy and take pictures of all the new P series for the first post of the page
I'm in the bay too, what store?
post #690 of 3197 Old 03-23-2016, 03:47 PM

Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Quote:
I need a tuner for cable not Ota. Different things right?
I'm not sure exactly what YOU need, but what is being discussed is the missing OTA tuner from this model of Vizio TV. For the less than 5% of the people that would buy this TV AND need an OTA tuner, you can add this functionality back for less than $50 via an External OTA Tuner(like the one posted right above).
GatorJZ likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
p-series , Vizio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page