Vizio 2016 P-Series UHD/HDR TVs no price talk please - Page 52 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2448Likes

post #1531 of 3197 Old 03-24-2016, 11:08 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12806 Post(s)
Liked: 12148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt McRae View Post
We had some issues with products getting damaged in shipments last year. Over the past 8-10 months we did a full audit of the supply chain, changed handling procedures, and redesign packaging. This has significantly reduced the instance of damage at unbox. But if you find an issue return it and we will make sure you get a perfect display.

Couple questions I've seen come up in the thread:

1. Any chance for a 60" or 70" P series?

2. Why doesn't vizio allow the stand legs to be moved inside for those that don't have super wide tv stands?

3. When future DV uhd blu rays are out, they will have hdr10 base layer. Will there be a way to choose which version you watch or automatically play DolbyVision?
Esox50 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1532 of 3197 Old 03-24-2016, 11:09 PM

Mentioned: 1169 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked: 3383
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasfxlt View Post
Last synopsis on my part....

Black Level: 9-10
Blooming: 9
Dynamic Range: 10
Color Gamut: 10
DSE: 8
Brightness: 9-10
Motion: 8
Cable viewing: 7-8 until 1080i then 9
Tablet remote: 9 (it's growing on me)
4k picture quality: 9-10, depending on the source.
Casting: absolutely the right approach
Casting audio: 6 (getting some dropouts when set to Dolby Digital and no Atmos that I can make work via ARC)
1080p Bluray: 9
Samsung UHD Bluray: 8 w/o HDR. Narrow color gamut but you can mimic HDR with some tweaking.
FALD: 9 but it may be a 10. I have to pay a little more attention to some challenging scenes.

I think they've accomplished something quite important with this display. There's nothing wrong with standard DR 4k. I loved my M80 but this is just a quantum improvement. Very surprised with what they engineered here for the money. Kudos to Vizio.
Appreciate your thoughts... can you private message me on the Casting Audio portion. Want to understand what exactly you are doing so we can troubleshoot... we know we have a bug that is under fix right now but I want to make sure it captures your use model too).

Thanks
post #1533 of 3197 Old 03-24-2016, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_rad4 View Post
Sorry, it may be common knowledge around here, but what is MEMC short for?
Motion Estimation Motion Compensation... basically to smooth out lower frame rate content the TV processing actually creates "in between" frames using interpolation. Creates a smooth motion but also can introduce artifacts into the picture.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1534 of 3197 Old 03-24-2016, 11:13 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timokreon View Post
Matt, how is the 50" or 55" P series? I was going to get one for my mom for her birthday. 50" would be better for her tv room

I always get confused on the whole panel thing. IPS panel etc...
This is the 2014 P series 55" ips...Expect even better performance from the new model with 126 zones and better color.... My camera on the phone sucks, and with all the lights off its a LITTLE brighter in person. The pic in the hall especially has a lot more detail in the black,not the black crush you see .but Im happy with the ips panel despite all the not so great reviews again expect way better performance on the 2016!

Ambient light goes a long way imo, so I don't personally watch in total darkness. But Ive been so impressed with the way they do FALD, that I would buy another! Keep in mind that game mode disables fald, and the blacks are totally grey, so playing COD is a compromise in quality to get low lag...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160324_213856.jpg
Views:	411
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	1336194   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160324_214606.jpg
Views:	393
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	1336202   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160324_214625.jpg
Views:	386
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	1336210  
Timokreon and EJSLP like this.
post #1535 of 3197 Old 03-24-2016, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray0414 View Post
Couple questions I've seen come up in the thread:

1. Any chance for a 60" or 70" P series?

2. Why doesn't vizio allow the stand legs to be moved inside for those that don't have super wide tv stands?

3. When future DV uhd blu rays are out, they will have hdr10 base layer. Will there be a way to choose which version you watch or automatically play DolbyVision?
No plans for 60 or 70 P Series... these are custom design open cells and the 60/70 could not meet our specification...

The stand legs are wide for regulatory reasons. US and Canada have updated testing for tip over safety etc. This is why you are seeing many manufacturers move away from a single neck post in the middle to a more broad stance on the feet.

If a bluray player sends the DolbyVision metadata over HDMI the TV will automatically detect it and render it properly.
MCaugusto, VBB, Kadath and 1 others like this.
post #1536 of 3197 Old 03-24-2016, 11:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
The stand legs are wide for regulatory reasons. US and Canada have updated testing for tip over safety etc. This is why you are seeing many manufacturers move away from a single neck post in the middle to a more broad stance on the feet.
I like the look of the stand legs, I think it gives the display a nice, modern appearance. I'm also a huge Vizio fan since I have owned multiple Vizio sets and they've all given great performance and service. My only complaint is with the current sound bar offerings - they are too tall to fit under the display! I see there are some new ones shown on the Vizio site as coming soon - are they now slim enough to fit under the display?

I tried the Sound Stand but it totally took away from the appearance of the set.
post #1537 of 3197 Old 03-24-2016, 11:33 PM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Proud to have you as a customer. I have a P75 at home... be prepared... this is not a small step forward on PQ :-) Enjoy!
Glad to hear you say that about the P 75. That's what I want to replace my P 70. Now I have to wait for DV UHD players to come out!

Just out of curiosity, will there be any further support or updates for the old P series sets? Thanks.

LG 65 B6P
Vizio 2014 P 702ui-3B
Samsung K8500, Apple 4K TV
Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV THX
Atlantic technology speakers 5.1 THX
post #1538 of 3197 Old 03-24-2016, 11:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Just some very quick initial impressions:

The tablet remote is very nice, good feel in the hand, nice build quality, clear screen. My roommate commented he wanted to buy a set just for the tablet it was so nice. The wireless cradle is also great. Nice to be able to adjust settings quickly and without the GUI covering the screen. Just wish it had an IR a blaster on it...it would be great for using Android universal remote apps like Sure which I use on my phone...at least the Vizio Smartcast app can be put on your Android phone...but it would be nice to always use the tablet remote for everything.

The set seems very bright and colorful. It was fairly well color calibrated out of the box, which is a nice change from Vizios I've had in the past (like the 2014 P series) which looked very yellow, and which I could never get perfect.

I did have a bit of blooming, more than I expected. Again I haven't set everything up or gone through many options yet, but there was some weird blooming coming up from the bottom edge on the Fox logo, and the "No Signal" graphic seems to show off some horizontal bloom. I was surprised that on a black screen with a logo in the center (specifically the loading screen of The Divison on PS4) the rest of the screen never achieved full black. The screen/bezel border was clearly visible, and even a light clouding...very light...nothing like my Samsung. Still after seeing the Sony 940c I was surprised the screen didn't just blend into the bezel.
This was watching in complete darkness, with the backlight at the default 60. Again tweaks will need to be made..hopefully I can tone this down...maybe share some settings with those on here.

Game mode with Low Latency seems very quick...no issues so far with input lag.

Love the screen saver...lots of great nature photos with a clock.

Netflix looked good...Daredevil suffered from none of the lighting issues that plagued my Samsung...but those were directly related to edge lighting so I wouldn't expect those here. Did observe some motion blur/smearing that was keeping the detail out of moving objects...people's faces in particular...I've had this before on an old Vizio..hopefully it can be tweaked out.

That's it so far...I'm liking the build quality of the set and the remote...both feel substantial..still need to spend a night or two with some good source material and do some tweaking...hopefully I can fine tune out any issues I'm seeing and can do a direct head to head with the 8550...if all goes well I hope I can move on from the Samsung...other than the 940C/D there aren't many other OLED quality alternatives in the 75" market. I'd be happy to answer and questions you guys have tomorrow...although I won't be able to mess with it more until after work..I've already been up too late as it is messing around with it.
VBB, Ph8te, amcfarla and 2 others like this.

Xbox Live gamertag: Ikari Warrior
Playstation Network ID: IkariWarrior

Last edited by Ikari Warrior; 03-25-2016 at 12:06 AM.
post #1539 of 3197 Old 03-24-2016, 11:39 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Cool Question on P65 upgrade from 2009 Panny Plasma

Hello folks,

This has been an amazingly informative thread.
I've been sitting on the sidelines for a couple of years to upgrade from my 2009 Panasonic 50" Plasma P50 S1.

Would someone be kind enough to opine if the P65 would be a marked upgrade in picture quality. i understand that this is subjective but was wondering if the P series would be a worthwhile upgrade....I am a button click away from ordering and would really appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks
post #1540 of 3197 Old 03-24-2016, 11:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray0414 View Post

And why would someone want a TV stand narrower than the TV?

Having a TV stand arrangement that allows the TV to overhang the stand greatly improves the ability to optimally place speakers.

• Sub placement: under the TV/beside the TV stand
  • Speaker stand placement: stand base is larger than the top so a speaker stand base can be under the TV.

In my case the TV stand is quit a bit narrower than the TV, 2x subs are under the left and right of the TV. The speaker stand base is larger than the top and I use ISO acoustic sub stands so I can nest the speaker stand base under the sub.

I'm interested in the TV and honestly the stand (legs really aren't they?) it comes with don't bother me I'll simply get a VESA mount stand that I want or get a TV stand with a built in VESA mount.

Cheers,

OPPO UDP-205, LG OLED65C8, OPPO BDP-93, Pioneer Kuro Pro-150FD, Dynaudio 2x BM-12a Mk III Mains, 2x BM 6a Mk II surround, 2x BM 14s Subs, Allan and Heath MixWizard, room is 11'7"x 16'6"x 8" dedicated and treated. Tripp-Lite UPSs/power conditioners (because my power isn't as clean as it used to be)
post #1541 of 3197 Old 03-24-2016, 11:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 68
vizio stepping it up the most in 2016.. sony is laughable this year. nobody cares if they make it thinner. lgs oleds still priced a little to high. Samsung with only 1 fald model still and overpriced.
zeekle and SnipeUout like this.
post #1542 of 3197 Old 03-24-2016, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dishdude1 View Post
I like the look of the stand legs, I think it gives the display a nice, modern appearance. I'm also a huge Vizio fan since I have owned multiple Vizio sets and they've all given great performance and service. My only complaint is with the current sound bar offerings - they are too tall to fit under the display! I see there are some new ones shown on the Vizio site as coming soon - are they now slim enough to fit under the display?

I tried the Sound Stand but it totally took away from the appearance of the set.
Stay tuned for audio announcements...
dishdude1 likes this.
post #1543 of 3197 Old 03-24-2016, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyice426 View Post
Glad to hear you say that about the P 75. That's what I want to replace my P 70. Now I have to wait for DV UHD players to come out!

Just out of curiosity, will there be any further support or updates for the old P series sets? Thanks.
Yes. We are continuing to improve and update previous TVs as well.
VBB, oman321 and Johnnyice426 like this.
post #1544 of 3197 Old 03-24-2016, 11:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 122 Post(s)
Quoted: 3331 Post(s)
Liked: 6192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikari Warrior View Post

The tablet remote is very nice, good feel in the hand, nice build quality, clear screen. My roommate commented he wanted to buy a set just for the tablet it was so nice. The wireless cradle is also great. Nice to be able to adjust settings quickly and without the GUI covering the screen.

The set seems very bright and colorful. It was fairly well color calibrated out of the box, which is a nice change from Vizios I've had in the past (like the 2014 P series) which looked very yellow, and which I could never get perfect.

I did have a bit of blooming, more than I expected. Again I haven't set everything up or gone through many options yet, but there was some weird blooming coming up from the bottom edge on the Fox logo, and the "No Signal" graphic seems to show off some horizontal bloom. I was surprised that on a black screen with a logo in the center (specifically the loading screen of The Divison on PS4) the rest of the screen never achieved full black. The screen/bezel border was clearly visible, and even a light clouding...very light...nothing like my Samsung. Still after seeing the Sony 940c I was surprised the screen didn't just blend into the bezel.
This was watching in complete darkness, with the backlight at the default 60. Again tweaks will need to be made..hopefully I can tone this down...maybe share some settings with those on here.

Netflix looked good...Daredevil suffered from none of the lighting issues that plagued my Samsung...but those were directly related to edge lighting so I wouldn't expect those here. Did observe some motion blur/smearing that was keeping the detail out of moving objects...people's faces in particular...I've had this before on an old Vizio..hopefully it can be tweaked out.

That's it so far...I'm liking the build quality of the set and the remote...both feel substantial..still need to spend a night or two with some good source material and do some tweaking...hopefully I can fine tune out any issues I'm seeing and can do a direct head to head with the 8550...if all goes well I hope I can move on from the Samsung...other than the 940C/D there aren't many other OLED quality alternatives in the 75" market. I'd be happy to answer and questions you guys have tomorrow...although I won't be able to mess with it more until after work..I've already been up too late as it is messing around with it.
FALD doesn't kick in until you have a source. The No Signal screen is likely without the dimming kicking in. I have that too. Have fun tomorrow!

SONY Z9F LCD Master Series Owners Thread
Vizio 2016 P series FAQ, general info and Help
Sony Z9F 75, Vizio P75C1 UHD/HDR/DV, Pioneer Elite SC-95, Samsung UHD Bluray K8500, AppleTV 4K, CC Ultra
post #1545 of 3197 Old 03-24-2016, 11:54 PM
Advanced Member

Here is that up boxing video I promised...nothing elaborate just a quick video of what comes in the box and how it's packed..filmed one handed on a cell phone
Kadath, amcfarla, TinyRK and 5 others like this.

post #1546 of 3197 Old 03-24-2016, 11:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShahrozH View Post
Hello folks,

This has been an amazingly informative thread.
I've been sitting on the sidelines for a couple of years to upgrade from my 2009 Panasonic 50" Plasma P50 S1.

Would someone be kind enough to opine if the P65 would be a marked upgrade in picture quality. i understand that this is subjective but was wondering if the P series would be a worthwhile upgrade....I am a button click away from ordering and would really appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks

p65 would be a nice upgrade in pq and energy. Panasonics last 2 years with the st,gt,vt models were amazing. but before that, they were not all that.
post #1547 of 3197 Old 03-24-2016, 11:59 PM

Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 476
Matt, why does Vizio continue to use 60Hz panels in their 50" models?
Simon R. likes this.
post #1548 of 3197 Old 03-25-2016, 12:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasfxlt View Post
FALD doesn't kick in until you have a source. The No Signal screen is likely without the dimming kicking in. I have that too. Have fun tomorrow!
Thanks, I'm sure you will too!
I figured that might be true for the menu, but on content do your bezels blend into the screen on something like the Mad Max credits? I also saw some after effects from the dimming when a scene would change, like it took a second for the dimming to realize the bright object was gone and you could see the zones fade out. I know probably crazy nitpicking stuff...I just realized my whole YouTube upload history is pretty much issues with different TVs, but I'm kind of an OCD perfectionist when it comes to TVs...which is really diificult because there is no perfect set...at least so far! If you have any good setting suggestions let me know!

post #1549 of 3197 Old 03-25-2016, 12:03 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1897 Post(s)
Liked: 2197
Quote:
Happy to help... answering as much as I can... been a AVSForum member for YEARS but just signed in under my real name. Appreciate the complements... we are working extremely hard on these products.
IDK why there aren't more manufacturer folks on these forums, but I for one am delighted to see you here answering some questions.

Oh, and I'll reiterate my initial reaction to the 2016 P Series: Blown away.

There's a saying about "everything in moderation". If only it was applied to well, you know...
post #1550 of 3197 Old 03-25-2016, 12:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 122 Post(s)
Quoted: 3331 Post(s)
Liked: 6192
Quote:
Thanks, I'm sure you will too!
I figured that might be true for the menu, but on content do your bezels blend into the screen on something like the Mad Max credits? I also saw some after effects from the dimming when a scene would change, like it took a second for the dimming to realize the bright object was gone and you could see the zones fade out. I know probably crazy nitpicking stuff...I just realized my whole YouTube upload history is pretty much issues with different TVs, but I'm kind of an OCD perfectionist when it comes to TVs...which is really diificult because there is no perfect set...at least so far! If you have any good setting suggestions let me know!
Motion and dimming are the 2 things I've haven't focused on. I'll just say that nothing has jumped out at me on either.

There are many less compromises with this display than there were with the M series. The 75 is a bit of a premium but it's worth it to me.

SONY Z9F LCD Master Series Owners Thread
Vizio 2016 P series FAQ, general info and Help
Sony Z9F 75, Vizio P75C1 UHD/HDR/DV, Pioneer Elite SC-95, Samsung UHD Bluray K8500, AppleTV 4K, CC Ultra
post #1551 of 3197 Old 03-25-2016, 12:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Liked: 1120
Returned the Sony XBR-55X900C to BestBuy, in exchange for the Vizio P series of the same size, should receive it Saturday. I'm pumped after the 900C let down and Thomas impressions and pics.
post #1552 of 3197 Old 03-25-2016, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoyd androyd View Post
Matt, why does Vizio continue to use 60Hz panels in their 50" models?
As crazy as this sounds... 50" is now a medium size TV (and 32" are now considered small). So the best glass out there has moved to 60hz since it is not considered a large size TV. Also as the screen size gets smaller the effect of 60 v 120 is greatly reduced.

But broader... as i mentioned in a previous post. I am no longer a fan of MEMC personally. And without MEMC all TVs are 60hz (or less since content is either 24, 30 or 60 - almost no 120hz content unless playing high end games at 1080p). So I run everything, even my new P75 at the content native speed (maximum of 60hz) because that is how the Director intended the content to be seen.

I understand if you like MEMC it makes a difference, but for those of us that don't and want to see the content as captured by the Director... 60Hz is perfect.
post #1553 of 3197 Old 03-25-2016, 12:23 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Matt, I just wanted to say that it's really great that you're here, answering so many questions for us early adopters. I'm another Orange County local, anticipating delivery of my P75 from Best Buy on Saturday. I still haven't found a set as pleasing to watch as my Pioneer 720p plasma thanks to its liquidy blacks and smooth motion. I eagerly await putting this set through its paces and it sounds like it's a keeper!
post #1554 of 3197 Old 03-25-2016, 12:24 AM

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Can the USB ports be used to playback movies from a device (like a WD Passport Cinema)?
post #1555 of 3197 Old 03-25-2016, 12:26 AM

Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 476
Quote:
As crazy as this sounds... 50" is now a medium size TV (and 32" are now considered small). So the best glass out there has moved to 60hz since it is not considered a large size TV. Also as the screen size gets smaller the effect of 60 v 120 is greatly reduced.

But broader... as i mentioned in a previous post. I am no longer a fan of MEMC personally. And without MEMC all TVs are 60hz (or less since content is either 24, 30 or 60 - almost no 120hz content unless playing high end games at 1080p). So I run everything, even my new P75 at the content native speed (maximum of 60hz) because that is how the Director intended the content to be seen.

I understand if you like MEMC it makes a difference, but for those of us that don't and want to see the content as captured by the Director... 60Hz is perfect.
sports suffer greatly on 60Hz panels however. even 120Hz panels are rather average in that regard. heck, sports enthusiasts who no longer have the plasma option and don't want OLED (for whatever reason) have been craving 240Hz LCD panels for a while.
Simon R. likes this.
post #1556 of 3197 Old 03-25-2016, 01:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked: 393
Quote:

The tablet remote is very nice, good feel in the hand, nice build quality, clear screen. My roommate commented he wanted to buy a set just for the tablet it was so nice. The wireless cradle is also great. Nice to be able to adjust settings quickly and without the GUI covering the screen. Just wish it had an IR a blaster on it...it would be great for using Android universal remote apps like Sure which I use on my phone...at least the Vizio Smartcast app can be put on your Android phone...but it would be nice to always use the tablet remote for everything.

I see you've moved on from the Samsung... Congrats man, I Look forward to hearing more of your impressions!
Ikari Warrior and SnipeUout like this.
post #1557 of 3197 Old 03-25-2016, 01:25 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Wow, this thread is epic! I'm convinced. I just ordered 75 for pickup from BB tomorrow.

Matt, do know of any important differences between the app on the Android tablet and the one for iOS?
Also, and this would be awesome, are there any plans to make a watch extension for the iOS app?

P.S. If anybody out there is like me and impatient, doesn't have a truck and doesn't want to wait for delivery, check if there's a Home Depot close to your Best Buy. You can rent a truck for an hour for something like 20 bucks
post #1558 of 3197 Old 03-25-2016, 01:25 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 12
So jealous of our American friends..

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk
post #1559 of 3197 Old 03-25-2016, 01:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Hopefully we will see more content pictures soon
post #1560 of 3197 Old 03-25-2016, 02:23 AM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
I was surprised that on a black screen with a logo in the center (specifically the loading screen of The Divison on PS4) the rest of the screen never achieved full black.

Was this with low latency on? I believe Matt from Vizio mentioned that low latency disabled the FALD...

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
p-series , Vizio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page