Vizio 2016 P-Series UHD/HDR TVs no price talk please - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2448Likes

post #1 of 3197 Old 03-22-2016, 06:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1881 Post(s)
Liked: 4919
Vizio 2016 P-Series UHD/HDR TVs no price talk please

Today, Vizio announced the second-generation of its P-Series LED-LCD UHDTVs, which offer some of the features found previously only in the much-vaunted Reference Series. Unlike the first-gen P-Series, the new models include Dolby Vision high dynamic-range (HDR) capabilities—a happy coincidence, since Netflix launches its Dolby Vision service today—and they will be updated with HDR10 capabilities within 90 days.

The new P-Series is available in four screen sizes, from 50 to 75 inches.

To help facilitate HDR, Vizio doubled the number of local-dimming zones in the FALD sets from 64 to 128 in the 65" and 75" versions (126 in the 50" and 55" models), and the Active Pixel Tuning algorithm that controls individual pixels within each zone has been improved. Using the methodology defined by the UHD Alliance for Ultra HD Premium certification, Vizio calculates the contrast ratio to be 150,000:1, which far exceeds the certification's requirement of 20,000:1 for LCD TVs.

At the briefing, I was told that the new sets can output as much as 600 nits from a full-screen white field. (Vizio does not plan to submit the P-Series for Ultra HD Premium certification, claiming that the test procedure is bogus.) Colorwise, the new P-Series achieves 96% of the DCI/P3 gamut without using quantum dots. Instead, the LED chemistry and color filters have been tuned to more precisely coincide and produce a wide color gamut that gets very close to P3 with minimal reduction in light output.

The HDR demos during the briefing—Dolby Vision streaming from Vudu—looked mighty fine. For example, the red long johns worn by the guitar player on the amplifier-car in Mad Max: Fury Road was a much richer, deeper red than BT.709 can manage, and the flames shooting out of his guitar were brighter and more detailed. Things were much the same on clips from Man of Steel and Pan, which also exhibited great shadow detail in low-light shots. And a feature called Black Bar Detection keeps the LEDs behind letterbox bars off, making them nice and black.

The P65 looked really good with custom content (seen here) as well as HDR movie clips streamed from Vudu.

Today's announcement places equal—if not greater—emphasis on Vizio's new SmartCast ecosystem, which integrates the operation of TVs (starting with the new P-Series), soundbars, and standalone speakers. All 2016 P-Series TVs come with a 6" 1080p Android tablet remote running Lollipop on a Qualcomm Snapdragon processor, and the tablet is pre-loaded with the SmartCast app. The app interfaces with the TV's Google Cast capabilities to access content from over a thousand streaming-content sources. Even better, the SmartCast app aggregates content searches across multiple providers and categories, such as movies, TV shows, live TV, kids programming, etc., allowing you to easily find whatever you're looking for wherever it's available.

The P-Series comes with a 6" Android tablet remote that sits in a wireless charging dock. The battery is said to last up to 14 days.

Perhaps the most important thing about SmartCast is that it separates navigation from consumption. To navigate in the traditional paradigm, you must be able to see the options on the screen from 10 feet away, point the remote at the TV, and navigate with arrow buttons, which can be quite cumbersome and inefficient. Moving the navigation to the tablet gives you much easier, more efficient control—for example, swiping rather than button-pushing through a list—and you don't have to look at the TV screen to see a cursor move.

One thing I really like about this approach is that you can open the TV's menu on the tablet and adjust the controls without disrupting the image on the screen, which is great for calibration. In addition, the SmartCast app can be installed on virtually any Android or iOS device, and multiple devices can control multiple TVs simultaneously. It's a many-to-many, cross-platform system with great flexibility.

The new P-Series TVs are available starting today in four screen sizes—50, 55, 65, and 75 inches. The 55-incher uses an IPS panel for those who want a wider viewing angle, while the others use VA panels for deeper blacks. All panels and electronics are true 10-bit, which is good news for HDR fans.

P50-C1, MSRP $1000
P55-C1, MSRP $1300
P65-C1, MSRP $2000
P75-C1, MSRP $3800

At these prices, why even consider a Reference Series RS65, which lists for $6000? Using quantum-dot technology, the RS65 achieves an even wider color gamut (120% of P3 or 87% of BT.2020), and with 800 nits from a full-screen white field and 386 local-dimming zones, it provides even greater dynamic range (close to 800,000:1). But for those who don't have $6000 to drop on a new TV, the P-series offers much of the RS65's performance—and SmartCast—for a third of the price. I can't wait to get my hands on one!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3197 Old 03-22-2016, 06:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Do you know when they'll release these TVs to Canadians?

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 3197 Old 03-22-2016, 06:10 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Cool

Wow, thanks Scott!

I just ordered a 65" direct from vizio.com. I was a bit worried about 2 things - DCI coverage not specified and HDR10 support not identified - but pulled the trigger anyway. Your additional detail on both was much appreciated, and makes me even more confident in my order!

Status already updated from "processing" to "packing".

Can't wait!!!
popalock likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 3197 Old 03-22-2016, 06:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Liked: 207
The TV looks great and the remote sure is different looking, BUTTTT IF I am going to go for a P series TV set why did VIZIO feel the need to DUMP the tuner!!!
poppagene likes this.
post #5 of 3197 Old 03-22-2016, 06:14 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 23
So no Amazon prime 4k streaming with this as there is no app for Google Cast that will work, right? Seems like a mistake to me as Amazon is a supporter of Dolby Vision along with Vizio.

The bundling of the tablet only serves to artificially increase the price of these TV's (and the M series which also includes it). This idea will fail within 1 yr. Next yr they will go back to the apps being integrated directly into the TV I predict.
JP32, EJSLP and Riekopo like this.
post #6 of 3197 Old 03-22-2016, 06:32 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I was wondering the same thing as @seanb 1, what about native 4k? Netflix, Amazon? To me it seems like a huge mistake to fully depend on Google's Cast streaming protocol.

I mean, why even bother watch movies on a 75" TV using apps that are meant for phones and tablets? How does that makes any sense?

Funny thing is I was wondering if I should buy the 2015 80" M-series or wait this year's new M/P series. Well, with that Google Cast thing I think I'll go with last year's.
post #7 of 3197 Old 03-22-2016, 06:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked: 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wilkinson View Post
Today, Vizio announced the second-generation of its P-Series LED-LCD UHDTVs, which offer some of the features found previously only in the much-vaunted Reference Series. Unlike the first-gen P-Series, the new models include Dolby Vision high dynamic-range (HDR) capabilities—a happy coincidence, since Netflix launches its Dolby Vision service today—and they will be updated with HDR10 capabilities within 90 days.

The new P-Series is available in four screen sizes, from 50 to 75 inches.

To help facilitate HDR, Vizio doubled the number of local-dimming zones in the FALD sets from 64 to 128 in the 65" and 75" versions (126 in the 50" and 55" models), and the Active Pixel Tuning algorithm that controls individual pixels within each zone has been improved. Using the methodology defined by the UHD Alliance for Ultra HD Premium certification, Vizio calculates the contrast ratio to be 150,000:1, which far exceeds the certification's requirement of 20,000:1 for LCD TVs.

At the briefing, I was told that the new sets can output as much as 600 nits from a full-screen white field. (Vizio does not plan to submit the P-Series for Ultra HD Premium certification, claiming that the test procedure is bogus.) Colorwise, the new P-Series achieves 96% of the DCI/P3 gamut without using quantum dots. Instead, the LED chemistry and color filters have been tuned to more precisely coincide and produce a wide color gamut that gets very close to P3 with minimal reduction in light output.

The HDR demos during the briefing—Dolby Vision streaming from Vudu—looked mighty fine. For example, the red long johns worn by the guitar player on the amplifier-car in Mad Max: Fury Road was a much richer, deeper red than BT.709 can manage, and the flames shooting out of his guitar were brighter and more detailed. Things were much the same on clips from Man of Steel and Pan, which also exhibited great shadow detail in low-light shots. And a feature called Black Bar Detection keeps the LEDs behind letterbox bars off, making them nice and black.

The P65 looked really good with custom content (seen here) as well as HDR movie clips streamed from Vudu.

Today's announcement places equal—if not greater—emphasis on Vizio's new SmartCast ecosystem, which integrates the operation of TVs (starting with the new P-Series), soundbars, and standalone speakers. All 2016 P-Series TVs come with a 6" 1080p Android tablet remote running Lollipop on a Qualcomm Snapdragon processor, and the tablet is pre-loaded with the SmartCast app. The app interfaces with the TV's Google Cast capabilities to access content from over a thousand streaming-content sources. Even better, the SmartCast app aggregates content searches across multiple providers and categories, such as movies, TV shows, live TV, kids programming, etc., allowing you to easily find whatever you're looking for wherever it's available.

The P-Series comes with a 6" Android tablet remote that sits in a wireless charging dock. The battery is said to last up to 14 days.

Perhaps the most important thing about SmartCast is that it separates navigation from consumption. To navigate in the traditional paradigm, you must be able to see the options on the screen from 10 feet away, point the remote at the TV, and navigate with arrow buttons, which can be quite cumbersome and inefficient. Moving the navigation to the tablet gives you much easier, more efficient control—for example, swiping rather than button-pushing through a list—and you don't have to look at the TV screen to see a cursor move.

One thing I really like about this approach is that you can open the TV's menu on the tablet and adjust the controls without disrupting the image on the screen, which is great for calibration. In addition, the SmartCast app can be installed on virtually any Android or iOS device, and multiple devices can control multiple TVs simultaneously. It's a many-to-many, cross-platform system with great flexibility.

The new P-Series TVs are available starting today in four screen sizes—50, 55, 65, and 75 inches. The 55-incher uses an IPS panel for those who want a wider viewing angle, while the others use VA panels for deeper blacks. All panels and electronics are true 10-bit, which is good news for HDR fans.

P50-C1, MSRP $1000
P55-C1, MSRP $1300
P65-C1, MSRP $2000
P75-C1, MSRP $3800

At these prices, why even consider a Reference Series RS65, which lists for $6000? Using quantum-dot technology, the RS65 achieves an even wider color gamut (120% of P3 or 87% of BT.2020), and with 800 nits from a full-screen white field and 386 local-dimming zones, it provides even greater dynamic range (close to 800,000:1). But for those who don't have $6000 to drop on a new TV, the P-series offers much of the RS65's performance—and SmartCast—for a third of the price. I can't wait to get my hands on one!
Scott, why would anyone buy a 2016 LG, Samsung or Sony for twice the price that is edge lit. Do you think announcement will shake up the industry? How could a sets like the X930D compete at twice price, when it has no advantage beside being ultra slim (that no body really cares for anyways).

Current gear: UN65JS8500 (Main TV), M40-C2(Guestroom TV), I1D3(Using HCFR)
Retired: TH-50PX80U, M55-C2 (Returned)
Duds: 2x XBR-65X930D(bent frame, 3D unwatchable and clouding), P65-C1(3x Yellow banding, dead pixels), UN65JS8500(blue bleed) UN60J6200 (Returned, dead pixels), M65-C1(3x Defective units, all dead pixel and yellow banding)
post #8 of 3197 Old 03-22-2016, 06:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanb61 View Post
So no Amazon prime 4k streaming with this as there is no app for Google Cast that will work, right? Seems like a mistake to me as Amazon is a supporter of Dolby Vision along with Vizio.

The bundling of the tablet only serves to artificially increase the price of these TV's (and the M series which also includes it). This idea will fail within 1 yr. Next yr they will go back to the apps being integrated directly into the TV I predict.
I highly doubt it can't do 4k hdr with any streaming content.
ultimatestuntman likes this.
post #9 of 3197 Old 03-22-2016, 06:41 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 7028 Post(s)
Liked: 7118
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanb61 View Post

Their original provider (Yahoo) stopped servicing apps, so something new was needed. This method allows them to be a little more fluid with changes that may occur. As far as Amazon goes, that is a big question, they could have a custom app that allows this to happen, until we hear officially no one will really know however. Also, the tablet will be much bigger with the younger generation who have become used to using tablets/phones to interface with everything. I don't see this going away, if anything we may see more of it.

Sent from nowhere
GunmetalR56 likes this.
post #10 of 3197 Old 03-22-2016, 06:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by kleenex View Post
The TV looks great and the remote sure is different looking, BUTTTT IF I am going to go for a P series TV set why did VIZIO feel the need to DUMP the tuner!!!
"Tuner Free"

Vizio marketing: New feature for 2016, we removed some stuff.
Riekopo likes this.
post #11 of 3197 Old 03-22-2016, 06:43 AM

Quote:

Cost savings are cost savings and tuners are a dying breed (IMO). These days most people are streaming or have cable. Rarely do you have folks using OTA. It's a risk for sure, but one I think they probably weighed out.

Sent from nowhere
post #12 of 3197 Old 03-22-2016, 06:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
Cost savings are cost savings and tuners are a dying breed (IMO). These days most people are streaming or have cable. Rarely do you have folks using OTA. It's a risk for sure, but one I think they probably weighed out.

Sent from nowhere

A Risk!?!? We know for a fact that cord cutting is on the rise as more and more people dump cable. This is just a very dumb move.
post #13 of 3197 Old 03-22-2016, 06:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1426 Post(s)
Liked: 1240
post #14 of 3197 Old 03-22-2016, 06:54 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 3128 Post(s)
Liked: 2545
Mine still says under Review on the vizio order tracking. I hope so much these ship this week that would be incredible!!
post #15 of 3197 Old 03-22-2016, 07:02 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 13
This is a very interesting concept, using Google's Cast. I just downloaded the user manual to see how setup works. I'm most interested in how it will control Live TV. It looks for devices on your network. What if it's a stand alone box? How will it change channels from the remote/tablet? It appears you'll still need a remote if you are using a receiver - which now means controlling your entertainment with 2 devices.

I look forward to reading people's reviews here - I hope this concept works out for Vizio.
post #16 of 3197 Old 03-22-2016, 07:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked: 230
I wonder how the picture quality will compare to others? I was waiting for Samsung but Vizio and LG tv seem to be the only ones that can do Dolby Vision and HDR10. How well do Vizio tvs handle motion? The one thing that holds me back from buying one is everytime I seen one in a store the other major brands seem to be a bit more colorful pq wise. Decisions decisions
post #17 of 3197 Old 03-22-2016, 07:05 AM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by denpom View Post
that is a very good article, thanks for pointing it out
post #18 of 3197 Old 03-22-2016, 07:14 AM

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 63
I just purchased the Samsung JS850D 65", I am wondering how this will compare and if its worth switching to this. Overall I am happy with the JS but I was hoping this would get announced in my return window which it has. What are people's thoughts on this... I assume full HDR compatability alone make this a must over the JS but not sure.

Vizio P65-C1 (2016 - Dolby Vision/HDR10)
Denon AVR-X2200W
Klipsch Quintet III's + Klipsch R-12SW 5.1
Apple TV 4K | XBox One S | HDHomeRun Prime w/ FiOS
Silverback S6 HDMI Cables
post #19 of 3197 Old 03-22-2016, 07:15 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 25
3 questions I'd like to ask of anyone that does a hands on:

hdmi 2.0a (you would think this is an obvious "yes" with touting HDR, but not specified on the site so I assume nothing)
4:4:[email protected] - I returned the first P series due to failing this
input lag: though theres still no true test for 4k, the 1080p test gives you a general idea and anything with really bad lag is obvious

edit: looked at the manual and it lists hdmi 2.0a under specs (put it on the site dummies!) and one of the sections in the remote mentions: "When connecting a HDMI 2.0 device, HDMI Color Subsampling needs to be enabled to support 4K resolution at 60hz" which seems to imply 4:4:4 but a picture test would be ideal.

When I stopped caring about super quiet: E5 1680v2 @ 4.5Ghz, 980ti, i750 SSD - JS9500 & Dell P2715Q for dual [email protected] because reasons
SAN shares over 56Gb infiniband, microcenter + fleabay = severe risks to my wallet

Last edited by Aluminum; 03-22-2016 at 07:51 AM.
post #20 of 3197 Old 03-22-2016, 07:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 1751 Post(s)
Liked: 1001
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewhale1 View Post
I wonder how the picture quality will compare to others? I was waiting for Samsung but Vizio and LG tv seem to be the only ones that can do Dolby Vision and HDR10. How well do Vizio tvs handle motion? The one thing that holds me back from buying one is everytime I seen one in a store the other major brands seem to be a bit more colorful pq wise. Decisions decisions
Last years Vizio's did really good with motion as long as you had the 120 Hz models. The way they look in stores should not be what you base your decision off of either because of the lighting in the store and the TVs are usually in a Vivid Mode that is way too bright for the home. I think these Vizio's can beat out any of the Non-FALD Samsung or Sony's.
SnipeUout likes this.
post #21 of 3197 Old 03-22-2016, 07:23 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Very impressed with the feature set. Pending reviews and after the HDR10 update, the P75 will probably be my next display.

My only slight disappointment is a lack of an 80" in P-series.

Remote looks interesting, however, I hope this display will be compatible with Harmony remotes.
post #22 of 3197 Old 03-22-2016, 07:24 AM

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 33
They are up on Best Buy's site for pick up March 30th, claiming 300 off at 1299 for a 55",but that looks the same as MSRP.

Old Mike
post #23 of 3197 Old 03-22-2016, 07:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 448 Post(s)
Liked: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wilkinson View Post
(Vizio does not plan to submit the P-Series for Ultra HD Premium certification, claiming that the test procedure is bogus.)!
Scott. Nor further explanation? No why? No how?

Vizio has done pretty good in the past with the M series last year, but this statement crosses the line and seems fishy to me. So for those that care we need to wait for a good review of some kind for sure!

Cheers,
pgwalsh likes this.

OPPO UDP-205, LG OLED65C8, OPPO BDP-93, Pioneer Kuro Pro-150FD, Dynaudio 2x BM-12a Mk III Mains, 2x BM 6a Mk II surround, 2x BM 14s Subs, Allan and Heath MixWizard, room is 11'7"x 16'6"x 8" dedicated and treated. Tripp-Lite UPSs/power conditioners (because my power isn't as clean as it used to be)
post #24 of 3197 Old 03-22-2016, 07:25 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 3
That's a serious feature set at a great price - makes me wonder if I should get the 75 in version of this or the Sony 75x940c (which I have ordered for a few hundred more about $500 more than this list, but which has yet to be delivered).
ultraflexed likes this.
post #25 of 3197 Old 03-22-2016, 07:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 1751 Post(s)
Liked: 1001
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrashmagazine View Post
I just purchased the Samsung JS850D 65", I am wondering how this will compare and if its worth switching to this. Overall I am happy with the JS but I was hoping this would get announced in my return window which it has. What are people's thoughts on this... I assume full HDR compatability alone make this a must over the JS but not sure.
I think Samsung's are great sets! I don't think the JS850D has Full Array Local Dimming which I find to be one of the most important features in an LED TV. The price for the Vizio specs are great! We won't know for sure till testing though. I will say also that Samsung's usually Calibrate really well and may look better out of the box. The Vizio's were a pain to Calibrate and generally need work to get it to shine.
post #26 of 3197 Old 03-22-2016, 07:31 AM

Vizio 2016 P-Series UHD/HDR TVs

Quote:
Originally Posted by denpom View Post

Very good article and their thoughts were about what I expected. We have seen time and time again how owners get left in the cold as they can't update their TVs OS or apps.

Quote:

Support for both along with the FALD should make the P series a winner. Not sure if it's a "must" but you may want to wait for owner reviews.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aluminum View Post
3 questions I'd like to ask of anyone that does a hands on:

hdmi 2.0a (you would think this is an obvious "yes" with touting HDR, but not specified on the site so I assume nothing)
4:4:[email protected] - I returned the first P series due to failing this
input lag: though theres still no true test for 4k, the 1080p test gives you a general idea and anything with really bad lag is obvious

2.0(a) was mentioned in the article, the site may have it, but Vizio is often slow to update/correct it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnoonie View Post
Scott. Nor further explanation? No why? No how?

Vizio has done pretty good in the past with the M series last year, but this statement crosses the line and seems fishy to me. So for those that care we need to wait for a good review of some kind for sure!

Cheers,

I believe there was a CNET article a little while back where they explained it.

Sent from nowhere
post #27 of 3197 Old 03-22-2016, 07:32 AM

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 63
So am I missing something or is this TV really 9" thick? Even the D series is only 2" thick... I hope thats a typo on there website.

Size and Weight

Product with Stand Dimensions 57.44”W x 35.39”H x 11.26”D
Product with Stand Weight 62.39 lbs.
Product without Stand Dimensions 57.44”W x 32.99”H x 8.94”D
Product without Stand Weight 61.40 lbs.
Product Packaging Dimensions 67.72”W x 38.54”H x 8.94”D
Product Packaging Weight 86.20 lbs.

Vizio P65-C1 (2016 - Dolby Vision/HDR10)
Denon AVR-X2200W
Klipsch Quintet III's + Klipsch R-12SW 5.1
Apple TV 4K | XBox One S | HDHomeRun Prime w/ FiOS
Silverback S6 HDMI Cables
post #28 of 3197 Old 03-22-2016, 07:36 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
A Risk!?!? We know for a fact that cord cutting is on the rise as more and more people dump cable. This is just a very dumb move.
Well, there had to be something for people to whine about!
Ph8te, reanimator and GunmetalR56 like this.
post #29 of 3197 Old 03-22-2016, 07:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 720 Post(s)
Liked: 834
Quote:
So am I missing something or is this TV really 9" thick? Even the D series is only 2" thick... I hope thats a typo on there website.

Size and Weight

Considering the Product Packaging Dimensions state they are also 8.94" deep I somehow doubt it.
post #30 of 3197 Old 03-22-2016, 07:37 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:

Size and Weight

Maybe taking in to account the depth of the stand perhaps?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
p-series , Vizio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page