Official Vizio 2016/2017 P Series Owners ONLY Thread UHD/HDR/DV No Price Talk Please - Page 1130 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 288678Likes

post #33871 of 64590 Old 11-17-2016, 09:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1066 Post(s)
Liked: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calilife17 View Post
So if the TV's VP9 chip can only do 8-bit HDR on Youtube HDR, would I be able to bypass that and do full 10-bit HDR on youtube if I use a chromecast Ultra plugged into HDMI 1-4 on my p75?

Yes chromecast ultra worlks prefect for YouTube hdr on this tv

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #33872 of 64590 Old 11-17-2016, 10:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked: 545
If anyone is having issues with getting a black screen on the PS4, turn the TV off and on. It will take a moment but it should pick the signal back up. I notice this problem happening when changing inputs and going back to the PS4 input. (I usually switch from PS4 to PC every once in a while, which was causing this signal loss).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomyak View Post
Has anyone who's asked for it received the beta patch in the last 2 days?

I've seen a few posts saying users haven't been updated, myself now included.

Have they put the brakes on this release? I was really looking forward to less latency on HDR gaming, as the 60ms on the PS4Pro right now is boarderline unplayable :/ 45ms would be a lot better.
Got mine. People keep asking on the thread when they should be asking Matt directly on his profile via message.

And I agree, HDR gaming on this right now is very, very sluggish in terms of input. It is made worse if you are playing a 30fps game where input latency is longer.

Last edited by Raven Crimson; 11-17-2016 at 10:43 PM.
post #33873 of 64590 Old 11-17-2016, 11:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven Crimson View Post
If anyone is having issues with getting a black screen on the PS4, turn the TV off and on. It will take a moment but it should pick the signal back up. I notice this problem happening when changing inputs and going back to the PS4 input. (I usually switch from PS4 to PC every once in a while, which was causing this signal loss).

Got mine. People keep asking on the thread when they should be asking Matt directly on his profile via message.

And I agree, HDR gaming on this right now is very, very sluggish in terms of input. It is made worse if you are playing a 30fps game where input latency is longer.
I got mine and didn't even know it until I looked at my display information on the cast app.

Sent from my XR6P10 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #33874 of 64590 Old 11-18-2016, 12:59 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 602 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortyg83 View Post
I actually just order a blue jeans cable to see if there is any chance it helps my ARC issues. I hope it does, but I doubt it since I have tried 4 other "High speed" cables with the same drop outs.

I really am curious what causes ARC issues knowing it isn't bandwidth related.
Here is hoping the Blue Jeans Cable can some how help me when it arrives tomorrow.
Also, if you don't already, turn your TV on first, then your receiver, then the component you plan on using. It usually resolves any handshake issues.
post #33875 of 64590 Old 11-18-2016, 01:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 602 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fahrenheit85 View Post
Both, was using the Cabernet ones from the AVR to TV and the Certified Premium ones from the source to the AVR

The 20ft cable I just bought was 80 bucks
Yes, longer cables will always cost more.
N T likes this.
post #33876 of 64590 Old 11-18-2016, 03:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by diceman1000 View Post
I got mine and didn't even know it until I looked at my display information on the cast app.

Sent from my XR6P10 using Tapatalk
Same here. I woke up the next day after asking Matt, and since I was still in the tweaking process, I noticed my HDR signal on PS4 Pro wasn't messed up anymore. Checked the cast information, and saw I was updated. Was expecting the TV to notify me of the change.

I also noticed my Clear Action motion was more responsive. Prior to the update, my test samples were showing randomly 'pumping' black trails. Now, the trails seem shorter and no longer pumping. A noticeable boost in motion quality.
post #33877 of 64590 Old 11-18-2016, 03:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 775 Post(s)
Liked: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortyg83 View Post
I am just confused as why you would keep buying the same cable over and over. Buy 2 Cabernet at 45' that do not work the same. So you buy 5 more and expect quality? If cables are that different for the same length then something is wrong with the way they are made. Not that Monoprice stuff is always junk, but when going with a run of 40' I just don't know why you would expect much different. I mean I don't even understand how they get the price that low on a 40foot active cable. I can't even buy the unterminated wire for a run that long for that price. I never actually used a celerity cable though, and I would be pissed if something that cost that much didn't work.
Well, I'm not buying them over and over. It was 2 purchases under a hope that shaving 5' could be the difference of working and not. Turns out I did get one winner.

I bought 5 cause the tv has 5 inputs. So I have options to go source direct when I want to as all the cables seems to work that way. It's just from the preamp where things flake.

I'll be sending the Celerity back today. Only will cost $10 loss to have tried it out.
post #33878 of 64590 Old 11-18-2016, 04:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 775 Post(s)
Liked: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoman94 View Post
Has anyone been able to add an HDMI box like a switcher with power in between?
I found this last night.

https://www.conferenceroomav.com/Kramer-/PT-3H2.cfm

It with a couple of the known good Monoprice premium certified cables on each side could be interesting. I might try that just to see if ARC also works through it.
shoman94 likes this.
post #33879 of 64590 Old 11-18-2016, 05:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 158
I want to add some more detail to an earlier post around a bug with the 3.0.6.4 firmware causing my P55 not to turn all the way off. You only notice it in a dark room as you can faintly see there is still content playing on the screen. You have to unplug the TV or wait a random amount of time for it to finally shut off. Sometimes it can be as long as ten minutes. If you try to turn it back "on" turning this time the display wont respond to remote or tablet commands. It's like the display is getting stuck somewhere on the shutdown process. I'm curious if anyone else is having the problem. You would never notice it in a well lit room and I doubt most people try to turn the TV right back on after they turned it off.

65C8P l 65B6P l P55-C1 l Shockwafe Ultra 9.2 & Elite 7.2 l XB1 X l PS4 Pro l Switch
post #33880 of 64590 Old 11-18-2016, 06:36 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I noticed the same on my p65. My tablet won't turn the display back on unless I switch to quick start instead of eco.

I also noticed the slight images on the screen in a dark room after shut down... thought it was some weird reflections at first. I just tried powering down now, and didn't notice it, but it's not real dark in the room right now. I'll check it later tonight, I'm off to work now.

I'm ok with a few of these bugs in a beta firmware. The pq on my cable tv alone is noticeably better. I haven't even checked out any hdr gaming on my xb1s yet or checked out any of my DV content. Looking very forward to it this weekend.
post #33881 of 64590 Old 11-18-2016, 07:07 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Probably a dumb question, but how do I update the firmware if I'm on the beta track? I'm not sure if Matt added me yet, but wanted to check.

Thanks.
post #33882 of 64590 Old 11-18-2016, 07:37 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitale View Post
Probably a dumb question, but how do I update the firmware if I'm on the beta track? I'm not sure if Matt added me yet, but wanted to check.

Thanks.
Go to the tablet, settings, then I think it is under system settings, click "service check". Now turn the TV off. I turned mine back on after about 20min and it had performed the update.
post #33883 of 64590 Old 11-18-2016, 09:17 AM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I just dug back a few pages and couldn't see any answers, this thread moves too quickly...

Is there any way to watch Amazon HDR on our P-series displays yet? I have an Xbox One S and it seems the Amazon app there is STILL not supporting HDR... the Amazon Video app updated on my phone and now has an option for casting, but it won't give my TV as an option.

I'm seriously starting to get really irritated at this whole situation. A lot of great HDR and 4K content is on Amazon video, including the new Grand Tour series, how much more crap am I going to have to buy in order to enjoy it?
post #33884 of 64590 Old 11-18-2016, 09:21 AM

Mentioned: 1169 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked: 3383
Quick update before weekend

Just updated serials numbers into the system (went through all posts and PMs). Will take a couple of hours for them to go live.

We have been verifying issues reported here and being queued for fix in coming release:
- Gamma was swapped
- Motion processing on in HDR when it should be off
- P50 flicker is improved, but will be improved more in final release
- Black drop outs on Xbox was not in this release but we have root caused issue (see below)
- Colored flashes on resolution or signal change
- Fine tune of PQ

Like I mentioned before, the PQ fine tune is the last thing we do in a firmware release... so that will be improved until the day before the final release.

On the black screen events for Xbox... Most HDMI sources send data island packets (4000-5000 in signal for delineation and alignment of data). The Xbox 1S is sending 150,000 data island packets in a flood. The excessive amount of concatenated null packets corrupts the data and our software send a re-auth request which causes a re-synch. We are working on a way to handle this flood in a more robust way but have also talked with the Xbox team to find out why they are sending a Null Packet Flood and whether they can modify their software as well. Note - this is limited to HDMI 2.0 with HDCP.

Stay tuned...
post #33885 of 64590 Old 11-18-2016, 09:39 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt McRae View Post
Just updated serials numbers into the system (went through all posts and PMs). Will take a couple of hours for them to go live.

We have been verifying issues reported here and being queued for fix in coming release:

- Gamma was swapped

- Black drop outs on Xbox was not in this release but we have root caused issue (see below)

- Fine tune of PQ

Like I mentioned before, the PQ fine tune is the last thing we do in a firmware release... so that will be improved until the day before the final release.

On the black screen events for Xbox... Most HDMI sources send data island packets (4000-5000 in signal for delineation and alignment of data). The Xbox 1S is sending 150,000 data island packets in a flood. The excessive amount of concatenated null packets corrupts the data and our software send a re-auth request which causes a re-synch. We are working on a way to handle this flood in a more robust way but have also talked with the Xbox team to find out why they are sending a Null Packet Flood and whether they can modify their software as well. Note - this is limited to HDMI 2.0 with HDCP.

Stay tuned...

Awesome news!!!! This is the support we deserve!!

Thanks @Matt McRae

post #33886 of 64590 Old 11-18-2016, 09:43 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

- Gamma was swapped
- Fine tune of PQ

Stay tuned...
Given the source of the issue with the Xbox One S blackouts, do you still anticipate this being a fix included with the full firmware release or will this be in a later release? Thank you for keeping us posted on all the updates.
post #33887 of 64590 Old 11-18-2016, 09:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverydayGetaway View Post
Is there any way to watch Amazon HDR on our P-series displays yet?
FWIW, Amazon HDR works great on my P65 via a Roku Ultra.
Brandon B likes this.

post #33888 of 64590 Old 11-18-2016, 09:46 AM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 59
FYI the message that you received a firmware update does not stay on the screen that long. So if you turn everything on and walk away while everything "boots up" you can easily miss it
post #33889 of 64590 Old 11-18-2016, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrRome View Post
I sometimes use the TV as a second monitor and the delay with using a mouse or scrolling is very noticeable on inputs 1-4 even with Low Latency Game Mode on. I haven't tried Input 5 since I have my Xbox connected there but I think I'll have to try swapping to make using it as a second monitor actually reasonable.
Try HDMI 5 with GLL...
post #33890 of 64590 Old 11-18-2016, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stikle View Post
Firstly, I just ordered my P75-C1 from Costco, so yay me.

Secondly, to the group, I appologize for my previous "obtuse" post regarding gaming. I was wrong.

Thirdly, thanks to Matt for being here and participating in two way communication - it's unprecedented and amazing.

Fourthly, thanks for everybody else's participation and troubleshooting/advise here as well. It's what makes AVS great.

-Seth
Happy to be here talking with everyone. Welcome to the family and thanks for being a customer.
post #33891 of 64590 Old 11-18-2016, 09:51 AM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluechunks View Post
Interesting, why doesn't the Amazon device page list the Roku Ultra as HDR compatible? I bought an XB1S largely because I assumed it would implement HDR into the Amazon app pretty quickly, I cannot believe it still doesn't support it.

It's kind of shocking to me how poorly HDR and 4K are being supported, at this point the tech has been out for a few years and the cost of entry has dropped to a point where it's pretty much just as attainable as 1080p, so why the slow uptake on support?

Can anyone else confirm the Roku Ultra or Premier + supporting HDR via Amazon, Netflix and Youtube? I really just want to run everything via one device.
post #33892 of 64590 Old 11-18-2016, 09:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Will you be able to do amazon HDR at some point with the built in google Cast?

80" Vizio LED - (60" Vizio plasma - retired)
Harmony 890 Remote
X10 Commander Iphone App = full control of lights, fireplace, pool, shades, from Iphone
X10 IR543 controller
Hunter Douglas motorized shades

post #33893 of 64590 Old 11-18-2016, 09:52 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
I use the Samsung UHD 4k bluray player to stream Amazon HDR content.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaremyP View Post
Given the talk on cables with the TV and my own posts, I have one more to make. At this point, I have ruled out the TV as being the culprit of any signaling issues, but this information probably will help others.

I had been running 2 x 45' Monoprice Cabernet from my AV7702mkII to the TV. I have consistently had problems. Black screens, white pixel snow, ARC never working realiably for bitstream, and so on. My 3-year-old can sightread the phrase "No Signal" on the TV... One cable would handshake well, but had the snow. The other would handshake terribly if at all.

The odd thing was always that if I took the same cables direct from a source, they worked OK. Just out of the preamp they didn't. I took the preamp into the service center this summer and they said it checked out OK. They changed the logic board anyway to be sure. Same behavior though.

I tried the 40' Celerity fiber optic cable. That thing just was terrible. Hardly could handshake, even source direct to TV.

For reference, my sources are TiVo Bolt, Roku Ultra, K8500, Xbox One S, PS4 Pro, and PC.

So I bought 5 x 40' Monoprice Cabernet. Hoping with that volume I'd have a winner, and being 5' shorter, the signaling might be better. I installed them yesterday.

Cable 1: Handshake was OK. Massive amounts of white snow. Much more than the 45' cable. ARC worked terribly.
Cable 2: Couldn't hardly handshake at all, just no signal.

So then I called Marantz support. In the talk, they suggested I bring the preamp up to the TV and try other cables. So I did. I brought up the Roku Ultra (which had been getting the pixel snow when set to HDR mode) and the preamp. I connected the Roku to the preamp with a 3' Monoprice High Speed Certified cable. Preamp to TV with a 6' same model cable.

It worked stably and realiably. I had never seen a device handshake so quickly and stably at 4k and high bandwidth output. No snow at all. Then I tried ARC. Obviously my amps/speakers were not connected, but the front panel of the Marantz properly showed every codec for each movie I tried. It was locking onto every ARC signal without fault.

OK, so preamp verified. Long cables are in fact the problem, at least in terms of the devices working together. So I went and tried the other 3 cables.

Cable 3: Decent handshake. Medium amount of snow. ARC gave audio with fairly frequent drop-outs.
Cable 4: Moderate handshake. Very light amount of snow, almost none. ARC worked even better. Not 100%, but close.
Cable 5: Fast handshake. No snow at all. ARC is silent.

What we have here is cable lottery. I really didn't expect that. So I'm out ARC, but at least I have a working cable. I'm tempted to go back and retry them and see if I get the same results, but I'm scared to upset the stability.

Two things to mention:

- When I mention testing ARC, I'm testing bitstream from VUDU for 5.1, 7.1 and Atmos DD+ soundtracks via casting.
- When I mention white pixel snow, it's white pixel artifacts that only happen on high bandwidth signals (4:2:2 12-bit UHD or 4:4:4 8-bit UHD). Low bandwidth, even 4:2:0 10-bit UHD, has not shown pixel snow on any cable. It's the Roku, PS4, and PC that get the snow. The K8500 and Xbox One keep their output lower bandwidth.

If I could do my system over, I would never do a long run. I will never put sources devices more than a 20' cable run away from a display ever again.

For now, I can ride it out with this one working cable and hope it doesn't change. My next thing was to try external 4x2 or 8x8 matrix switches and see if they avoid the artifacts produced using the Marantz. That or look into more expensive cables to experiment with or perhaps drop a HD Fury in there (I think that unit boosts output on regular cables for longer runs).
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolldog View Post
I didn't realize that. All I know is that all my cables are Blue Jeans, and I have no problem getting Atmos via ARC/DD+ through my HDMI cable.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven Crimson View Post
Same here. I woke up the next day after asking Matt, and since I was still in the tweaking process, I noticed my HDR signal on PS4 Pro wasn't messed up anymore. Checked the cast information, and saw I was updated. Was expecting the TV to notify me of the change.

I also noticed my Clear Action motion was more responsive. Prior to the update, my test samples were showing randomly 'pumping' black trails. Now, the trails seem shorter and no longer pumping. A noticeable boost in motion quality.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
Aidenn86 likes this.
post #33894 of 64590 Old 11-18-2016, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordj View Post
You won't believe how great Forza Horizon 3 in HDR looks. It's almost hard to describe, but you can see the sun shining bright on one side, and dark clouds approaching from the other all at the same time and the lighting from each is so realistic. The factory red paint on my Ferrari is so vivid now it almost hurts to look at. Haven't messed around at night yet but yeah HDR gaming is the real deal if done like Forza. Matt and the team have some an incredible job implementing HDR gaming on the P Series. The new FW beta does indeed have some bugs but seriously, how awesome is it that we have the option? Isn't beta firmware on TV's unprecedented? Never heard of anyone doing it before.
Glad you enjoying HDR gaming... I think HDR for gaming is even a bigger difference than most movies. Partially because movies have colorists that fine tune the picture over months before release to maximize the performance in the limited gamut/dynamic range. But games are rendered in real time and can't take advantage of months of fine tuning... so opening up the gamma/dynamic range lets the games PQ come through.
reallynotnick and Riekopo like this.
post #33895 of 64590 Old 11-18-2016, 09:54 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 474 Post(s)
Liked: 312
Quote:

- Gamma was swapped

- Fine tune of PQ

Stay tuned...

Hey man sorry I keep forgetting to put my serial on here if you don't mind adding it to the list

24LTMATKAS50014

Appreciate it greatly.

post #33896 of 64590 Old 11-18-2016, 09:56 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Glad you enjoying HDR gaming... I think HDR for gaming is even a bigger difference than most movies. Partially because movies have colorists that fine tune the picture over months before release to maximize the performance in the limited gamut/dynamic range. But games are rendered in real time and can't take advantage of months of fine tuning... so opening up the gamma/dynamic range lets the games PQ come through.

Agreed. I've been loving Forza Horizon 3. Just grabbed Gear of War as well and excited to give that a try in HDR! Thanks for the beta firmware, Matt! Really enjoying this TV all over again!

post #33897 of 64590 Old 11-18-2016, 09:56 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonn B View Post
Will you be able to do amazon HDR at some point with the built in google Cast?

I wish vizio could have an agreement with amazon in order to watch amazon video, but since the display is using googlecast i doubt it would be possible for now.

Aidenn86 likes this.
post #33898 of 64590 Old 11-18-2016, 10:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 961 Post(s)
Liked: 1143
Quote:
Welcome to the family and thanks for being a customer.

...again.

VP50 (still alive and well at my sister's house now as their primary display)
2014 M75
2016 P75

The Seth-o-Plex 2.0 Build Thread - featuring Dolby Atmos/DTS:X 9.4.4 & 4K Dolby Vision!
Vizio | Dual Denon Atmos AVRs | Oppo | SVS | Mirage | Onkyo | Monoprice
post #33899 of 64590 Old 11-18-2016, 10:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:

- Gamma was swapped

- Fine tune of PQ

Stay tuned...

Also a greenish yellow bias.

Thanks Matt, and we love you.

LG OLED65B6P. Klipsch: RF82, RC62, RS52, RB61, RP-140SA. SVS PB-U13. Denon 6300H. Oppo 103D. Oppo UPD 203.
post #33900 of 64590 Old 11-18-2016, 10:31 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpcz View Post
I wish vizio could have an agreement with amazon in order to watch amazon video, but since the display is using googlecast i doubt it would be possible for now.

I think the issue is Amazon is having more and more success with their own devices the Fire TV line and they want you to buy their hardware to enjoy their software. So I wouldn't be surprised if this becomes more commonplace among lots of smart device manufacturers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
2016/2017 vizio p-series - nice pic(k)! / netflix , best value , D7000 , dolby vision , latest firmware - 6.0.18.1 - previous 5.0.16.1 , Vizio , Vudu

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page