Official Vizio 2016/2017 P Series Owners ONLY Thread UHD/HDR/DV No Price Talk Please - Page 1134 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 288478Likes

post #33991 of 63953 Old 11-19-2016, 08:43 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Those of you experienced with the Service Update process...are there any factors that would cause it to not work correctly? I submitted my SN for the BETA firmware on the day of announcement. I made sure that after not getting in on the first round that my info was correct and available for the second round. If according to Matt all current serial requests have been added to the list, either mine was missed or Im having issues with the service request feature.

Im always connected to the internet via Wireless. I go into system information, service request, tap yes, then manually shut down the TV. Sometimes waiting for upwards of 2 hours before turning it back on. IS there anything that I am missing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #33992 of 63953 Old 11-19-2016, 09:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1671 Post(s)
Liked: 1041
Quote:
Originally Posted by buju22 View Post
Those of you that can stream Amazon HDR from another device need to check out Grand Tour. It's simply the best 4K HDR you'll see... Amazing!

65JS8500, P50-C1, 55C6P, K8500, PS4 Pro, XB1S, Nvidia Shield
Agreed. I am using a Roku Ultra.

The best examples of the HDR wide color ranges are the Black McLaren P1 and the Red Ferrari shots. In the sunshine on the Race Track in Portugal, you see the Black shaded with purple highlights. The shades of red are great. HDR by its nature is subtle but sublime.
post #33993 of 63953 Old 11-19-2016, 09:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeymonster View Post
Those of you experienced with the Service Update process...are there any factors that would cause it to not work correctly? I submitted my SN for the BETA firmware on the day of announcement. I made sure that after not getting in on the first round that my info was correct and available for the second round. If according to Matt all current serial requests have been added to the list, either mine was missed or Im having issues with the service request feature.

Im always connected to the internet via Wireless. I go into system information, service request, tap yes, then manually shut down the TV. Sometimes waiting for upwards of 2 hours before turning it back on. IS there anything that I am missing?

What i did was repairing the tablet thru the vizio smarcast app and that did the trick for me. The service check thing did not work for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #33994 of 63953 Old 11-19-2016, 09:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

No. That is the correct procedure. Maybe wait 30 seconds before turning off the set. Try PMing Matt again.
post #33995 of 63953 Old 11-19-2016, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naustin View Post
No. That is the correct procedure. Maybe wait 30 seconds before turning off the set. Try PMing Matt again.
I will try waiting a bit before turning the TV off. I have a new PM sent to Matt. This is the third round I've sent one and I hate the idea of spamming his inbox but it is what it is. Thanks for your help!
post #33996 of 63953 Old 11-19-2016, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpcz View Post
What i did was repairing the tablet thru the vizio smarcast app and that did the trick for me. The service check thing did not work for me.

Thanks for the tip. Could you point me to this particular setting/option in the Smartcast app?
post #33997 of 63953 Old 11-19-2016, 10:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked: 167
I personally asked for beta FW during the wait for HDR, if you want to blame someone- blame me.

Also I was able to mitigate the green/yellow push in the offset menu, if anyone wants my settings I'll share them- but mind you once the final FW drops I'd advise not using them...

LG OLED65B6P. Klipsch: RF82, RC62, RS52, RB61, RP-140SA. SVS PB-U13. Denon 6300H. Oppo 103D. Oppo UPD 203.
post #33998 of 63953 Old 11-19-2016, 10:31 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by buju22 View Post
Those of you that can stream Amazon HDR from another device need to check out Grand Tour. It's simply the best 4K HDR you'll see... Amazing!

65JS8500, P50-C1, 55C6P, K8500, PS4 Pro, XB1S, Nvidia Shield
Quote:
Agreed. I am using a Roku Ultra.

The best examples of the HDR wide color ranges are the Black McLaren P1 and the Red Ferrari shots. In the sunshine on the Race Track in Portugal, you see the Black shaded with purple highlights. The shades of red are great. HDR by its nature is subtle but sublime.
I'm also using a Roku Ultra and have been waiting for The Grand Tour. It really looks great and I enjoy the content. I'm running the beta fireware and it's the first thing I've seen on HDR that I've been impressed with (everything else has been too dark). The pictures don't do it justice.

Regarding the beta firmware, I'm really happy with the changes (P50):
  • SDR content has better picture quality
  • P50 flicker is slightly better (I know it will be improved once the final version is out)
  • HDR content isn't as dark. Watched The Grand Tour which is awesome. Went back and looked at Star Trek which was really dark (previously had to switch to the standard or vivid picture mode with the backlight really high). Now I can just use the default calibrated or calibrated dark modes and it's much better (although it seems like a dark movie in general).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-11-19 12.58.47.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	119.3 KB
ID:	1778633   Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-11-19 12.57.03.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	127.4 KB
ID:	1778641   Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-11-19 12.56.10.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	269.2 KB
ID:	1778649   Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-11-19 12.40.49.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	140.9 KB
ID:	1778657   Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-11-19 12.40.36.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	170.7 KB
ID:	1778665  

Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-11-19 12.40.13.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	161.9 KB
ID:	1778673   Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-11-19 12.12.03.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	123.4 KB
ID:	1778681   Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-11-19 12.12.02.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	1778689   Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-11-19 12.11.57.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	1778697   Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-11-19 12.10.01.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	1778705  

post #33999 of 63953 Old 11-19-2016, 10:43 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Thanks for the tip. Could you point me to this particular setting/option in the Smartcast app?

Where it says set up a new device.

post #34000 of 63953 Old 11-19-2016, 10:52 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I finally got a chance to check out the new firmware with other content besides just cable TV.

I noticed with my Xbox 1 S whenever I open Netflix it automatically changes my pic settings as if hdr 10 was already present... it doesn't revert back until you quit the app on the xb1s.

It only changes a few things when it kicks in. I have my back light setting at 85 on my xb1s input, mainly because of how dim the Blu-ray hdr 10 playback was with the last firmware. I also had my color at 51. .... now when Netflix is opened my settings automatically change to 50 back light and 50 color. Some of the settings become grayed out lIke usual, like tint, etc.

What does this mean...? Does it automatically switch the back light to 50 for a reason for hdr10...? It looked fine watching some Marco Polo in hdr 10, but what if I bump it a little? Will it then stay where I put it as a new hdr10 default?

On my casting input, I've been running with a back light of 69 for regular casting and Dolby vision content. I know many of you once thought that you must just leave your set on cal or cal dark for DV content or at least leave your back light at 50... but I thought Matt came in and shed light on that subject a while back and explained how we can set it to wherever we want, or use any preset pic mode we want.

PQ looks great with this firmware .... excited to see some Gears of War 4 in hdr. It's downloading on my xb1s as I type this. Any answers to my questions above are appreciated, and I apologize for a long post. Have a good weekend everyone. ( go Packers ! ) ( I know, they're having a down year, but I'm a life long fan. )
post #34001 of 63953 Old 11-19-2016, 11:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by MachoRich View Post
I'm in the same boat. I don't understand why my serial# isn't being added. The last update mine was added the first time I asked its frustrating.

Matt carried over all the serial numbers, so you don't have to ask again to be added as you should already be in.

Vizio 2016 P65, Denon x2200, 5.0.2 Elac Debut F5, C5, B4, and A4
PS4 Pro, AMD Vega 56, and Nvidia Shield
post #34002 of 63953 Old 11-19-2016, 11:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2020 Post(s)
Liked: 721
Quote:

Maybe wait 30 seconds before turning off the set.

Is the wait required? When I did the Service Check, I turned Off the Display about 5 seconds later. Turned On the Display almost an hour later and had the Thirty-Sixty-Four Firmware.

- PjThis is The End-Age GenerationTime is Running OutQuakes, Sinkholes, Meteors
EvilutionMankind Was CreatedWe Didn't Come From ApesThere Was a Worldwide Flood!
The End of This Age is Near!I'm Ready For The Rapture!Are You Ready?The Time is Now!
post #34003 of 63953 Old 11-19-2016, 11:21 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karnis2 View Post
I use 1080p @ 120Hz (albeit not for gaming) and it's nice and clear. Make sure your desktop is configured as pictured.
Regardless of setting, (mine happen to have already been exactly like yours), the scaler is clearly working differently compared to 60hz as I showed above. I didn't say it wasn't clear. It looks more raw, like a pixel nearest neighbor upscaled to 4 pixels raw, no linear pixel interpolation like typical nearest upscalers. 99% of the time, people won't tell, given proper seating distance.
R
Just noting the difference is there.

http://i.stack.imgur.com/FAZl1.png

Whether this is what's happening, I'm not sure, but that's what it looks like to me.

Of course, this could be something that isn't supposed to happen, or it may be related to my computer, or TV. Either way, 1080p games look fine so I'm not worried.

Mad Lust Envy

Last edited by Raven Crimson; 11-19-2016 at 11:29 AM.
post #34004 of 63953 Old 11-19-2016, 11:22 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Official Vizio 2016 P Series Owners Thread (UHD/HDR/DV) No Price Talk Please

Quote:

Nope, it means they haven't added your serial#. I'm noticing a theme the majority of people that are not getting the update that are asking have an M series TV. I thought the update was for both P & M. Especially considering one of my M series received the last beta update

post #34005 of 63953 Old 11-19-2016, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachoRich View Post
Nope, it means they haven't added your serial#. I'm noticing a theme the majority of people that are not getting the update that are asking have an M series TV. I thought the update was for both P & M. Especially considering one of my M series received the last beta update

This would explain a lot actually. Since this is the post Matt linked to from Twitter it would make sense why a lot of M series owners are having issues in here. I myself have an M50 and thought this was for both P and M series. Ive made my info available every step of the process so it would make sense as to why I am not getting any update. Has anyone with an M series screen received this new update?
post #34006 of 63953 Old 11-19-2016, 12:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleCakYngMfd View Post
Is the wait required? When I did the Service Check, I turned Off the Display about 5 seconds later. Turned On the Display almost an hour later and had the Thirty-Sixty-Four Firmware.

I really don't know, but the OP was having problems so it was a suggestion. Like you, I generally wait about 5 to 10 seconds.
post #34007 of 63953 Old 11-19-2016, 12:17 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 6282 Post(s)
Liked: 5930
Quote:
This would explain a lot actually. Since this is the post Matt linked to from Twitter it would make sense why a lot of M series owners are having issues in here. I myself have an M50 and thought this was for both P and M series. Ive made my info available every step of the process so it would make sense as to why I am not getting any update. Has anyone with an M series screen received this new update?

Shouldn't this be asked in the M series thread? Matt usually posts in BOTH threads if it's available to both.

htwaits and rockaway1836 like this.
post #34008 of 63953 Old 11-19-2016, 12:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Finally got around to really testing the beta FW update on my 50" and I think it's a mixed bag here with some definite new issues that need to be fixed before general release. The XB1 works perfectly as promised and HDR on Gears and Horizon 3 is a real treat, on the PS4 it works great as well though I still find I have to turn the TV on and off to get it to work as intended. But movies, specifically UHD BDs are now problematic. HDR is easily improved now, the pivotal scene between Batman and Supes for example in BvS is just eye shearing but with this improved HDR it seems to me as if the image is slightly worse and breaks up a lot and is just generally a bit off and choppy. This is especially true with the reduce judges control engaged. It is essentially broken now and does very little it seems.
post #34009 of 63953 Old 11-19-2016, 12:54 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortyg83 View Post
People didn't ask for broken firmware, and that isn't what you received. You received a BETA firmware.
Here is just one post of people asking for beta.

And if you read through the thread there are a bunch of other posts of people asking for unfinished firmwares(aka BETA)

Here is matt saying if you want to be removed from list of beta firmware to email him.

And if you look through the thread you will find discussion about them being Early/first release firmware. Yet most people asking for it come in here when matt posts, don't read any of the thread, send their serial number and then complain.
Let me say first that I'm happy to have gotten the beta firmware early. And I'm happy to continue getting beta versions in the future. Love it to be honest!

However, i can see how some owners are a little miffed. In late September and late July, AVS members were given early release access. Matt never called them beta versions then. So it was a nice little perk for being a AVS member ... and a perk that was low risk.

But this time he labelled this firmware as "beta", and there are a couple bugs. So some owners may feel they've gone from being rewarded as devoted customers with early access to "safe" firmware, to simply being a source of free beta testing.

If Matt wants to keep all the different types of personalites that own this awesome TV happy. He should simply ask who wants "beta" releases and who just want "early access" to the final versions.
Karnis2 likes this.

Rec Room: JVC x790 w/120" Silver Ticket screen, Denon x4400H 5.1.4 with Kef Q100 L/R, Q200 centre, T101 surrounds, Ci160er rear atmos, Energy Rc-Mini - front atmos, SVS PC-2000. Family Room: LG 65B7P OLED, Denon s730H 5.1 - Kef Q500, Q200c, Energy v-mini - surrounds. Calibration Gear: X-Rite i1Display Pro, Calman Home Enthusiast, trial & error, and a patient wife.

Last edited by JonnyVee; 11-19-2016 at 12:59 PM.
post #34010 of 63953 Old 11-19-2016, 12:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by methos75 View Post

...Movies, specifically UHD BDs are now problematic...
It seems to me as if the image is slightly worse and
breaks up a lot and is just generally a bit off and choppy.

This is especially true with the Reduce [Judder] control engaged.
It is essentially broken now and does very little it seems.

Yes, Motion is bad in this Beta Release. Matt posted it'll be fixed by the Final Release.

Otherwise, the PQ is exquisite.

EvilutionMankind Was CreatedWe Didn't Come From ApesThere Was a Worldwide Flood!
The End of This Age is Near!I'm Ready For The Rapture!Are You Ready?The Time is Now!
post #34011 of 63953 Old 11-19-2016, 01:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I've determined that attempting to tweak away the beta's yellow/green bias causes more problems than it solves.

I'll just wait for the final update.

LG OLED65B6P. Klipsch: RF82, RC62, RS52, RB61, RP-140SA. SVS PB-U13. Denon 6300H. Oppo 103D. Oppo UPD 203.
post #34012 of 63953 Old 11-19-2016, 01:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Quote:
Yes, Motion is bad in this Beta Release. Matt posted it'll be fixed by the Final Release.

Otherwise, the PQ is exquisite.

I just noticed that if I disable the 24p processing on my Philips UHD BD player the issue goes away, so it could be related to some new weird dynamic between the two.
post #34013 of 63953 Old 11-19-2016, 01:31 PM

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by atbroome View Post
@Matt McRae

Came home from a business trip excited to watch The Grand Tour in HDR via my Samsung player and discovered the new firmware

Unfortunately, the beta firmware seems to have broken the analog audio on my P65:
  • When I turn off the internal speakers, I can no longer adjust the volume of the analog output. Pressing the volume up button shows the message 'Audio subsystem off'. This is with the Analog Audio Out set to 'Variable' as it always has
  • The analog out signal is completely out of sync with the internal speakers & picture and I can't get it to sync up (with the internal audio or picture) with any value for the Lyp Sync setting.

Note that I don't have an AVR (yet) so my P65 is feeding a 2 channel analog preamp via the analog output connected to 2 main speakers and 2 subs. So none of the observed delay is being caused by any processing. And it was perfect with the last firmware.

As a result, I am unable to use my external 2.1 audio system with the P65 and am limited to the crappy internal speakers.

While I appreciate the firmware being released as a beta for all of those desperately waiting for the updates, I've determined its not for me. I am (well was) happy with the feature set of the display and I'd rather wait in the future than have my only TV environment break. Also, a few days notice to be taken off a Beta list in the middle of a work week isn't much of a heads up.

I would like to point out that before this firmware, it was just an early access list not a beta access list.

Is there a way to rollback to the old firmware?

And just like that we'll never get access to an early update again.
post #34014 of 63953 Old 11-19-2016, 01:31 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Anyone else seeing this? On my P65 the red hue slider is behaving a lot like the sharpness slider did when it had the bug in it!!! Mine keeps going back to the default of 0 setting even though I don't change the slider from wherever I have it set...(I'm on firmware 3.0.6.4 )

Can I get a couple of you guy's to test this out for me?? Set your red hue slider to something ridiculous like 40, Then leaving it set to that, go to inputs and toggle your subsampling switch ( just a easy way to trigger it) back on and off or off and on and see if your picture changes..If it does then just go and change from say Cal Dark to Cal and it will go right back to where you have the Hue slider set.. Just trying to find out if this is just my set or if this is a bug we need to report to Matt!!!

LG Oled 65C8>- Yamaha a3070>- Emotiva UPA-1 Mono blocks>-Oppo 203>- Samsung K8500>- Roku Ultra>- Apple tv4>- Energy RC70, RC10's, RCLCR
>-SVS PB2000>- Energy S10.3>- LG Oled 55B6>- Yamaha a3050
post #34015 of 63953 Old 11-19-2016, 01:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanboyz View Post

I've determined that attempting to tweak away the beta's
yellow/green bias causes more problems than it solves

I'm curious in what 'problem' did you run into with your adjustment?

It's not easy, but with years of practice (since the 2013 M40), I hit the GrayScale Jackpot with this latest release.
The hues are amazing, and I haven't checked any HDR content yet.

It's tricky, in that the RGB 11-Point adjustments affect nearby bars and in varying degrees among the R, G, and B.

I think next time, I want to try to do just the 11-Point and leave the 2-Point (OffSet and Gain) alone.

Aidenn86 likes this.

post #34016 of 63953 Old 11-19-2016, 01:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm curious in what 'problem' did you run into with your adjustment?

It's not easy, but with years of practice (since the 2013 M40), I hit the GrayScale Jackpot with this latest release.
The hues are amazing, and I haven't checked any HDR content yet.

It's tricky, in that the RGB 11-Point adjustments affect nearby bars and in varying degrees among the R, G, and B.

I think next time, I want to try to do just the 11-Point and leave the 2-Point (OffSet and Gain) alone.

Skewing too red.

But the 50inch will behave differently than the 65, because it's a different panel.

post #34017 of 63953 Old 11-19-2016, 01:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweaver1 View Post

Mine keeps going back to the default of 0 setting even though
I don't change the slider from wherever I have it set...
(I'm on firmware 3.0.6.4 )

I don't game or use the Sub-Sampling feature, but maybe it's this:

The default Picture Modes can't be permanently altered. Save one of the Calibrated modes to a Custom Pic Mode, and then see if your Sub-Sampling settings stick. Any setting change you want to 'permanently stick' from any of the default Pic Modes, should be done by creating a Custom Pic Mode.

post #34018 of 63953 Old 11-19-2016, 02:18 PM

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 30
How is everyone getting their Vizio P series out of the Cast input after Casting? I have a Harmony that I have to use to manually move the input to my Receiver input and then I always lose sound as well from my receiver (Denon X1200W). I have to then turn my receiver off and back on to get everything working again properly. This has caused me to basically not use the Cast function as it becomes such a pain to exit out of. I am using the Vizio supplied HDMI cable and just ordered the Monoprice Premium HDMI cable to see if there is some sort of a handshake issue here as well

Am I missing something obvious?
post #34019 of 63953 Old 11-19-2016, 02:19 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi @mattmc Rae ,

Please add my P75-C1 serial number to the list for early access to new firmware if the offer is still open:

LTMATKBS3050018
post #34020 of 63953 Old 11-19-2016, 02:40 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
[QUOTE=CleCakYngMfd;48302385]I don't game or use the Sub-Sampling feature, but maybe it's this:

The default Picture Modes can't be permanently altered. Save one of the Calibrated modes to a Custom Pic Mode, and then see if your Sub-Sampling settings stick. Any setting change you want to 'permanently stick' from any of the default Pic Modes, should be done by creating a Custom Pic Mode.

Sorry but your misunderstanding what I'm trying to say.. ....This has only to do with the red hue slider!! The Sub-Sampling is only a quick way to test out what I'm trying to get you guy's to test..

LG Oled 65C8>- Yamaha a3070>- Emotiva UPA-1 Mono blocks>-Oppo 203>- Samsung K8500>- Roku Ultra>- Apple tv4>- Energy RC70, RC10's, RCLCR
>-SVS PB2000>- Energy S10.3>- LG Oled 55B6>- Yamaha a3050

Last edited by Tweaver1; 11-19-2016 at 02:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
2016/2017 vizio p-series - nice pic(k)! / netflix , best value , D7000 , dolby vision , latest firmware - 6.0.18.1 - previous 5.0.16.1 , Vizio , Vudu

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page