Official Vizio 2016/2017 P Series Owners ONLY Thread UHD/HDR/DV No Price Talk Please - Page 1209 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 288502Likes

post #36241 of 64119 Old 12-18-2016, 04:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1066 Post(s)
Liked: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by skschatzman View Post
I didn't say I joined 5 months ago. I said I have been following for more than 5 months. I also know how the list was presented. He never presented the list as a normal non-beta early update list only. You are right that he said if you do not want to be on the list anymore to pm him. So if anyone who is on the beta and didn't want to be, it isn't Matt's fault. If you didn't pm him to remove yourself from the update list, then you only have one person to blame. Yourself.

This also doesn't change the fact that there is and always has been one list for early updates.
Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
YES yes he did.
Here is the first post asking for this list to be created.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpgxsvcd View Post
Thank you. Just simply Thank you for everything you and your company do for their customers. It is greatly appreciated.

I do have one request though.

Is there any way for customers to request that they get the HDR10 update sooner rather than later in the queue? Can we give you our serial numbers or something like that?

That one update is going to be a big deal to some people. It will be a real shame if those people are waiting a significant amount of time while others that might not even have a UHD blu ray player already have the update.

I know we can call Vizio support and request that they update the queue. However, that seems like it would cost a lot of money for Vizio to field all of those calls. A simpler more efficient way seems like just sending you a private message with our serial number in the subject line.

If something like that is not possible then I understand. I just wanted to try to head off something before it became an issue.
Here is his first reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt McRae View Post
Let me look into it... Tough to scale manually like that but my guess is that there aren't that many people with a HDR Bluray player yet. As we get closer to the HDMI HDR10 release I'll post to the group.
Here is him making the list for the queue. This is the same list that exists today.

Quote:
The firmware has passed QA and we will begin the rollout tonight.

Once again, I will ask that you make sure your HDR player's firmware is up to date. And make sure you are using a high quality, high speed HDMI cable (we saw artifacts on lesser versions).

For those that have an HDR player at home and want to get the firmware ASAP. PM your serial number and "HDR Firmware" in the subject line. I'll get you whitelisted so you can get the update earlier in the queue.

Due to the loose aspects of the HDR spec and differences we are seeing between players, titles, etc... please post which player and title you are using if you run into issues. We are buying more models to test in house as they become available.

NOTE: This release is for BOTH 2016 P Series and 2016 M Series.

So please read before you start making statements. The list originally existed just to be moved to the front of the queue for full release firmware. Not Beta like you keep saying. This wasn't changed till much later.
mpgxsvcd and Bevmo like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #36242 of 64119 Old 12-18-2016, 04:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 380
Quote:
It's the middle of November and we are making very good progress on our release. All of the fixes targeted are not in and we haven't done the complete set of regression testing. However, the release has been very stable for internal testers so I have decided to release it to the group here.

If you sent me your serial number before... you are enabled. Please let me know if you want to be removed from the early release group. This is a test release and it is likely that there are bugs and maybe some adverse behavior.

The release is an early version of our Sprint 1.3. It has the following additions and fixes:

- GoogleCast v1.21 which adds support for Google Home voice commands
- 4:4:4 improvements in Computer Picture Mode
- 4:2:[email protected] rewrite to support HDR gaming
- Improvements to WIFI stability
- Improvements for P50 low IRE flicker
- CEC and ARC improvements
- SoftAP/WIFI improvements
- PQ improvements and updates to DolbyVision 3D LUTs
- Firmware update improvements (solves hang at 100% etc)
- Numerous HDMI and EDID bug fixes, improvements
- OOBE improvements
- Stuttering and frame drop fixes
- Hundreds of other bug fixes across the system

The team is still working on a couple of issues that are not yet in this release. This includes the Black Drop outs on HDMI sources and frame doubling and blurring seen by some users. In addition we will be improving the P50 flicker issue and fixing a bunch of issues with 4:2:0 and 4:4:4 as we finish up this release. Also, this release does not separate HDR and DolbyVision PQ engines (that will be in Sprint 2 which will land in Q1 2017).

Despite this, I felt many people would still like to get the hands (display) on this release and start enjoying HDR gaming... especially with the Holidays approaching. So, hammer away, report any issues you are seeing and we will take your feedback as we work towards a final Sprint 1.3 release over the next weeks.

I'll be traveling this week but checking the forums every time I can and rolling up feedback for the team. Again, if anyone wants to be removed from the early list please let me know.

Happy testing and thank you for your patience!

Matt
Giving Matt your serial originally put you at the front of the line for the firmware update. In November he pushed out a test release to the group that previously submitted their serial numbers with the option to remove any users that didn't want to be a part of the test release. Pretty simple.
CleCakYngMfd and Daemon11 like this.

Last edited by abouttreefitty; 12-18-2016 at 04:17 PM.
post #36243 of 64119 Old 12-18-2016, 04:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2824 Post(s)
Liked: 1639
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortyg83 View Post
YES yes he did.

Here is his first reply.

Here is him making the list for the queue. This is the same list that exists today.

So please read before you start making statements. The list originally existed just to be moved to the front of the queue for full release firmware. Not Beta like you keep saying. This wasn't changed till much later.
Nowhere in the post does it specify he was starting a normal non-beta only early firmware update list. Still waiting

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #36244 of 64119 Old 12-18-2016, 04:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abouttreefitty View Post
I thought this was pretty clear.
So did I. Not sure why there are so many people upset about this.

post #36245 of 64119 Old 12-18-2016, 04:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Read it again. He even updated it to show you.
I did read it. The list is never specified as a non-beta update list. It's only specified as a whitelist for receiving updates early. There is and always has been only one list.

Matt said to pm him to be removed from this list. This is the 4th or 5th time I have reiterated this information. If you didn't follow simple directions and received the beta, then you shouldn't have asked to be on the list in the first place.

post #36246 of 64119 Old 12-18-2016, 04:53 PM

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanboyz View Post
yeah, but some other guy has the same issue after the beta. So nothing's broken.

I've had a P65 since March and have never experienced this. If it is not source/cable specific, it's pretty likely that you have a bad unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #36247 of 64119 Old 12-18-2016, 05:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcholthaus View Post
I've had a P65 since March and have never experienced this. If it is not source/cable specific, it's pretty likely that you have a bad unit.

Started the eve of the beta though.

LG OLED65B6P. Klipsch: RF82, RC62, RS52, RB61, RP-140SA. SVS PB-U13. Denon 6300H. Oppo 103D. Oppo UPD 203.
post #36248 of 64119 Old 12-18-2016, 05:15 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6526 Post(s)
Liked: 6244
Good grief. The list started off as an early release for the HDR10 (official) firmware. It then changed to the beta test release group. There isn't two separate groups. I believe Matt has stated more than once if you want off the early release/beta group list PM him and you will then be "official" only and get it when your S/N group is green lit (like it normally is). If you don't want beta firmware, PM or tweet Matt to be removed from the list, that way you won't have the headaches that come with beta firmware.

post #36249 of 64119 Old 12-18-2016, 05:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 725 Post(s)
Liked: 951
So I signed up to be first on a list for one normal firmware and ended up on a recurring list for beta? How unfortunate.
post #36250 of 64119 Old 12-18-2016, 05:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
Good grief. The list started off as an early release for the HDR10 (official) firmware. It then changed to the beta test release group. There isn't two separate groups. I believe Matt has stated more than once if you want off the early release/beta group list PM him and you will then be "official" only and get it when your S/N group is green lit (like it normally is). If you don't want beta firmware, PM or tweet Matt to be removed from the list, that way you won't have the headaches that come with beta firmware.

This is all fine for people who go to this thread on a daily basis. They would naturally be aware of this and have made the decision. It sucks for people who peek in from time to time because they are happy with the P-series. We end up on a beta list we never agreed to and as such are subjected to terrible firmware like the current one.
post #36251 of 64119 Old 12-18-2016, 05:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1852 Post(s)
Liked: 1117
Quote:
Originally Posted by GardenVariety View Post
This is all fine for people who go to this thread on a daily basis. They would naturally be aware of this and have made the decision. It sucks for people who peek in from time to time because they are happy with the P-series. We end up on a beta list we never agreed to and as such are subjected to terrible firmware like the current one.
What have you encountered?

Sent from my 5054N using Tapatalk
post #36252 of 64119 Old 12-18-2016, 05:30 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hi all, I keep seeing people reference firmware 2.2.7.4 as the latest production release. My P65 has 2.2.7.7 -- how is that? Did anybody else have that version?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
post #36253 of 64119 Old 12-18-2016, 05:34 PM

Quote:

While I agree it does suck, I would ask to be removed from the list so it doesn't happen again. The list probably shouldn't have ever been started to begin with as really we have seen nothing but complaints (more than happy posts getting things early). Nothing really can be done at this point besides taking action for future releases. People wanted to betas so bad they kept pushing and pushing, they did so without thinking of what it entails (I'm not saying you). Now that they got it, they don't want it. It's "too late" to go back, but you can fix things for the future.

post #36254 of 64119 Old 12-18-2016, 05:35 PM

Also, anybody able to get HDR to work with the YouTube app? There are some pretty incredible videos that are supposedly in HDR but neither the Roku Ultra nor built in Google Cast will engage HDR.

post #36255 of 64119 Old 12-18-2016, 05:46 PM

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Hey everyone!

It has been a little while since I have been here and I had some questions.

First I do have the newest beta update and wanted to report I have had no flickering or issues with it *50 inch*

I was curious about the in the works update to lower input lag to about 45 MS. Is that WITH or Without Gaming Low Latency mode?

Second question has anyone found a nice calibration for HDR yet? Maybe even for use on Xboxone S?

Also maybe it is just me but I do not notice and input lad when having GLL off. Or is this a option to have to turn off THEN activate the HDR input?

Last edited by Nick Benjamin; 12-18-2016 at 05:49 PM.
post #36256 of 64119 Old 12-18-2016, 06:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seinberg View Post
Also, anybody able to get HDR to work with the YouTube app? There are some pretty incredible videos that are supposedly in HDR but neither the Roku Ultra nor built in Google Cast will engage HDR.

The only device that gets hdr in YouTube is Chromecast ultra.

thomasfxlt likes this.
post #36257 of 64119 Old 12-18-2016, 07:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2037 Post(s)
Liked: 721
Quote:

This is all fine for people who go to this thread on a daily basis.
They would naturally be aware of this and have made the decision.

It sucks for people who peek in from time to
time
because they are happy with the P-series.

We end up on a beta list we never agreed to and as such are
subjected to terrible firmware like the current one.

Respectfully,

I do feel for your situation, but...

Why would anyone get on a list and NOT pay attention to the forum posts?
Once you're in, pay close attention to Matt's posts. It's not like you had to
read EVERY post to stay on top of things.

Yes, it turned into a Beta-push list, and yes you must have missed that,
but for me, these two things don't go together:

a) Request to be put on an early Firmware Release.
b) Then not pay proper attention to the Forum.

Just saying.

I hope you and anyone else in this situation have peace and hang tight,
because I have to believe Matt and Vizio will get this fixed a lot sooner
than a lot later.

Do have a...
Spoiler!

OHMSEN likes this.

- PjThis is The End-Age GenerationTime is Running OutQuakes, Sinkholes, Meteors
EvilutionMankind Was CreatedWe Didn't Come From ApesThere Was a Worldwide Flood!
The End of This Age is Near!I'm Ready For The Rapture!Are You Ready?The Time is Now!
post #36258 of 64119 Old 12-18-2016, 07:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 2958 Post(s)
Liked: 2617
Wink

Quote:
YES yes he did.

Here is his first reply.

When I first made the request to Matt I envisioned it as a way for us to help them QA the displays in scenarios that we use them in. I know they can't test every scenario but we can.

Everyone who accepts the beta software should realize that it truly is a beta. With that we should understand that there will be issues. It is our responsibility to find those issues and concisely report them so they can be fixed.

If you don't want to participate in the Beta then don't do it. The price we have to pay for getting the best support possible is that we have to be willing to help them discover what works and what doesn't.

I for one am excited about this release. The motion handling is now perfect and I can demonstrate that. Anyone including RTINGS.com that says this isn't the single best non-hdr gaming display is just out of their minds. Yes HDR is not there yet with this display but non-HDR 1080p @ 120 FPS gaming is simply perfect. No other TV on the market today can say that. Even Sony TVs don't do 1080p @ 120 FPS correctly and that is actually much more desirable than 4K.

I just got the highest end portable gaming laptop money can buy. Gaming with it on the P75 is quite the experience.
post #36259 of 64119 Old 12-18-2016, 07:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Red face

Quote:

Youtube HDR is broken with this beta release and the Chromecast Ultra. 4K youtube works. However, it won't enable HDR like it would when the Chromecast Ultra first came out. Not sure if the issue is in the chromecast firmware or the Vizio beta release.
thomasfxlt and SteveMelo like this.
post #36260 of 64119 Old 12-18-2016, 07:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nascar Dog View Post
Is there a way to roll back to firmware 2.2.7.4?
This latest beta has turned my amazing FALD TV into a very poor performing Edge Lit TV.
Is it possible to rollback the firmware by downloading the current supported version from their site and then loading it with USB?
FilmMixer likes this.
post #36261 of 64119 Old 12-18-2016, 07:24 PM

Quote:

Ah, thanks. I happen to have one so I just hooked it up and it's still not triggering HDR. Any idea what I might be doing wrong?

post #36262 of 64119 Old 12-18-2016, 07:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2037 Post(s)
Liked: 721
Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post

...With my Oppo UHD player... I will get video
but no audio meaning the TV is getting a signal.

The TV is a Vizio which is currently under a beta firmware...
Sometimes if I turn everything off and then
back on the audio and/or video comes back.

Which Beta? 3.0.6.4 or 3.0.10.7?

I have audio dropouts with my Sony DVR ever since 3.0.6.4 arrived in my Display, mostly accompanied with either a softer or louder buzz-pitch noise. I usually switch to another Input and back to get the sound.

- PjThis is The End-Age GenerationTime is Running OutQuakes, Sinkholes, Meteors
EvilutionMankind Was CreatedWe Didn't Come From ApesThere Was a Worldwide Flood!
The End of This Age is Near!I'm Ready For The Rapture!Are You Ready?The Time is Now!
post #36263 of 64119 Old 12-18-2016, 07:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Youtube HDR is broken with this beta release and the Chromecast Ultra. 4K youtube works. However, it won't enable HDR like it would when the Chromecast Ultra first came out. Not sure if the issue is in the chromecast firmware or the Vizio beta release.

There is a firmware update for chrome ultra. You may have to factory reset the Chromecast to get out because it would not update like it normally should with out the factory reset for some people.

mpgxsvcd likes this.
post #36264 of 64119 Old 12-18-2016, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Is it possible to rollback the firmware by downloading the current supported version from their site and then loading it with USB?

Usually it's not due to firmware version numbers. I believe this was attempted before (and the user failed). Usually when doing updates it checks the number on the USB vs what is loaded in TV. If it is a later version it updates, if not then it says "no update available. What one could try is renaming the firmware files to an increment above what's loaded to see if that works to trick the TV. Of course this is a do at your own risk and you could brick the TV doing it.

post #36265 of 64119 Old 12-18-2016, 07:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Official Vizio 2016 P Series Owners Thread (UHD/HDR/DV) No Price Talk Please

Quote:
Ah, thanks. I happen to have one so I just hooked it up and it's still not triggering HDR. Any idea what I might be doing wrong?

You have a Chromecast ultra? not the Chromecast. If so make sure it's in the newest firmware and hdmi subsampling is on. also be aware 90% off the videos that say hdr on YouTube ate not actually hdr you have to look for the ones that actually have the hdr logo on them.

post #36266 of 64119 Old 12-18-2016, 07:44 PM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanboyz View Post
Started the eve of the beta though.
I don't have that problem on my 65.
post #36267 of 64119 Old 12-18-2016, 07:45 PM

Quote:
You have a Chromecast ultra? not the Chromecast. If so make sure it's in the newest firmware and hdmi subsampling is on.

Right, I have a Chromecast Ultra and just installed it, updated firmware to the latest version, set color subsampling on (HDMI port 2) on my P65. No dice.

And as a practical matter, HDR in Netflix (eg The OA) looks somewhat washed out compared to non-HDR 4K content. That's with any source - Roku Ultra, built-in Google Cast, or Chromecast Ultra. Everything tends to have a bit of a gray haze, especially in darker scenes. I certainly don't ever see the "pop" and more vibrant colors that everybody describes. I feel like there might be something obvious wrong, but even default Calibrated setting is like that.

post #36268 of 64119 Old 12-18-2016, 08:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleCakYngMfd View Post
Respectfully,

I do feel for your situation, but...

Why would anyone get on a list and NOT pay attention to the forum posts?
Once you're in, pay close attention to Matt's posts. It's not like you had to
read EVERY post to stay on top of things.

Yes, it turned into a Beta-push list, and yes you must have missed that,
but for me, these two things don't go together:

a) Request to be put on an early Firmware Release.
b) Then not pay proper attention to the Forum.

Just saying.

I hope you and anyone else in this situation have peace and hang tight,
because I have to believe Matt and Vizio will get this fixed a lot sooner
than a lot later.

Do have a...
Spoiler!

This is driving me nuts. I can't believe you and others can't get this simple concept. It was not a beta list when I "signed up" for it. It was a simple request by Matt to obtain serial numbers for people who wanted to receive finished firmware first. Matt changed it to a beta list after I stopped coming by this thread on a daily basis. The only reason I came back was because something went wrong with my TV. You are conflating two separate issues.
post #36269 of 64119 Old 12-18-2016, 08:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 160
You've been given a solution multiple times. PM Matt to be taken off the list. In the meantime, yes it may suck to deal with some bugs but the tv is not bricked and it didn't light your house on fire. Complaining on here isn't going to help you.
Schwa, tdwilli1, vulsker and 2 others like this.

Sony 55X900e
Vizio P50-C1 - My Calibration Settings
Xbox One X
PS4 Pro
post #36270 of 64119 Old 12-18-2016, 08:57 PM

Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:
Right, I have a Chromecast Ultra and just installed it, updated firmware to the latest version, set color subsampling on (HDMI port 2) on my P65. No dice.

And as a practical matter, HDR in Netflix (eg The OA) looks somewhat washed out compared to non-HDR 4K content. That's with any source - Roku Ultra, built-in Google Cast, or Chromecast Ultra. Everything tends to have a bit of a gray haze, especially in darker scenes. I certainly don't ever see the "pop" and more vibrant colors that everybody describes. I feel like there might be something obvious wrong, but even default Calibrated setting is like that.

Make sure the content is HDR by confirming it in the Vizio app, then while the HDR video is playing, set your picture mode to calibrated & backlight to 100 & see if that helps.

Last edited by Karnis2; 12-18-2016 at 09:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
2016/2017 vizio p-series - nice pic(k)! / netflix , best value , D7000 , dolby vision , latest firmware - 6.0.18.1 - previous 5.0.16.1 , Vizio , Vudu

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page