Official Vizio 2016/2017 P Series Owners ONLY Thread UHD/HDR/DV No Price Talk Please - Page 1211 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 288467Likes

post #36301 of 63935 Old 12-19-2016, 09:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2020 Post(s)
Liked: 721
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombiejester View Post

I tried casting Meridian to test out Netflix HDR
(on current beta firmware) and the screen
went pink on my P75 about halfway through.

Anyone know why this is or how to fix?

It's what everyone sees with that. Why, I dunno.
I haven't seen it yet. I'll try it at some point.

reallynotnick likes this.

- PjThis is The End-Age GenerationTime is Running OutQuakes, Sinkholes, Meteors
EvilutionMankind Was CreatedWe Didn't Come From ApesThere Was a Worldwide Flood!
The End of This Age is Near!I'm Ready For The Rapture!Are You Ready?The Time is Now!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #36302 of 63935 Old 12-19-2016, 09:24 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 6277 Post(s)
Liked: 5920
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy582 View Post
Fair enough- but I haven't done any beta testing in years, so I'm out of touch- is this backlight issue more dramatic than the usual glitches in a beta release, or no?

"More dramatic than Usual"? No, not really. It's possibly a regression like the green push some were seeing with the previous build. It's just that things affecting backlight will always be more visible. The worse I've seen in beta testing is one that bricks small numbers of users devices. While I don't expect that level of result as this testing is being done after that level. We also have to remember that we don't usually see this type of program "in public". Beta testers are usually signing NDAs, etc. regressions are expected, it's impossible to test all of the different variables that users have. The good thing is that the reports of bugs members make here allow Vizio to make a better Final firmware.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CleCakYngMfd likes this.
post #36303 of 63935 Old 12-19-2016, 09:39 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by seinberg View Post
so I couldn't understand how HDR with The OA and some other shows looked so mediocre.

Maybe you didn't finish the first episode?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #36304 of 63935 Old 12-19-2016, 09:46 AM

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by nocturne1 View Post
Maybe you didn't finish the first episode?

Interesting. I did, but I'm curious what makes you say that. Is there some dramatic shift in image quality midway thru the episode?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
post #36305 of 63935 Old 12-19-2016, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Interesting. I did, but I'm curious what makes you say that. Is there some dramatic shift in image quality midway thru the episode?
Sure is (don't want any spoilers). Are you sure you're on the $12/month plan that enables 4k/HDR? Did it say Dolby Vision when you started the cast?
post #36306 of 63935 Old 12-19-2016, 09:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Finally got my P55-C1, but I have some questions. I mostly use my tv as a pc monitor, both for image editing (Lightroom mostly) and gaming. Other than that, I watch HD cable, and most of the content I watched before through casting (Netflix, youtube, etc).
A couple of questions. What setting do you recommend to use as a pc monitor? I'll probably stick to 1080p gaming for now, but I see that if I set my tv to 1080 at 60hz, I have the option to run as 4:4:4 Full RGB or any of the ycbcr modes. What setting is recommended for a pc? Also, should I enable color subampling on the vizio for any of these modes?

Second question, and I'm guessing it might not be currently possible, but I would love it if I could control the volume output through toslink (optical cable), when I'm casting. I haven't found any option that does this, but this is exactly what my chromecast used to do. If not, it would be awesome to get that 'feature', as it would allow me to almost fully control my media through the vizio app.

Thanks!
post #36307 of 63935 Old 12-19-2016, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nocturne1 View Post
Sure is (don't want any spoilers). Are you sure you're on the $12/month plan that enables 4k/HDR? Did it say Dolby Vision when you started the cast?
Ha, interesting! Yep, definitely on the 4k/4 screen plan, and do see the HDR logo. I did watch the first episode to completion, but I was very distracted by putzing around with calibration settings and don't really remember any major changes. I do remember the credits for the show starting about 45 minutes into the show - is that perhaps what you're referencing? Maybe I should go back now that I've settled on calibration settings (essentially calibrated defaults, with a minor shift to blue to get rid of yellow shift from the calibrated defaults).
post #36308 of 63935 Old 12-19-2016, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Ha, interesting! Yep, definitely on the 4k/4 screen plan, and do see the HDR logo. I did watch the first episode to completion, but I was very distracted by putzing around with calibration settings and don't really remember any major changes. I do remember the credits for the show starting about 45 minutes into the show - is that perhaps what you're referencing? Maybe I should go back now that I've settled on calibration settings (essentially calibrated defaults, with a minor shift to blue to get rid of yellow shift from the calibrated defaults).
Yep. Certainly at least a few minute sequence. Have only seen the first episode so far - but it seems that it's used for stylistic effects, rather than full time. I also noticed looking back that you also have a Roku Ultra - that will only do HDR10. I watched it casting from the Netflix app - which will do Dolby Vision.

Last edited by nocturne1; 12-19-2016 at 10:19 AM.
post #36309 of 63935 Old 12-19-2016, 10:00 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by forresto View Post
So many Xbox complaints.

On Christmas, when I turn on my xbox one s for the first time on the non-Beta firmware.
If I just want things to go smooth is that going to happen?
You wont have any issues on any firmware either the outgoing version or the new/beta that's been rolling out this month. Xbox works fine for me on port 5 or any other ports for Gears 4 HDR. The complaints are coming from some minor data package issues (which cause temporary blackouts) between microsoft and vizio, but Matt stated they have already addressed the issue almost as much as they can on their end (if you read the latest patch notes.) Just waiting on microsoft to follow suit.

I can report 100% on my end with my P55 that gaming with xbox one s looks amazing upscaled and the response time using port 5 is amazing, as well as the PQ is the best i've seen ever seen for games. Even plugging in my Xbox 360 the P series upscales the 720p content and it looks far better than it ever did before.

Loving this display since afterall with all the firmware updates coming it just keeps getting better and better😊
DaverJ and forresto like this.
post #36310 of 63935 Old 12-19-2016, 10:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1766 Post(s)
Liked: 4030
Quote:
HDR in Netflix (eg The OA) looks somewhat washed out compared to non-HDR 4K content.
Did you compare that show to the SDR version?

I've been watching The OA in SDR/1080p, and it's a very washed-out show visually -- which is probably the way the creators intended. (Side note - have you noticed almost every scene has something purple in it?)
post #36311 of 63935 Old 12-19-2016, 10:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1825 Post(s)
Liked: 1090
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

I've been watching The OA in SDR/1080p, and it's a very washed-out show visually -- which is probably the way the creators intended. (Side note - have you noticed almost every scene has something purple in it?)
Sometimes directors kill shows potential, and visually this show depressing. It's interesting, somewhat maybe, so I'll continue to watch in hopes it will get better visually.

Sent from my 5054N using Tapatalk
post #36312 of 63935 Old 12-19-2016, 10:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked: 91
I have a Xbox S that will be used for both gaming / UHD movies and will be routed through a Yamaha TSR 7810 AVR to take advantage of my 7.1 setup.

For Gaming I want to use HDMI 5 (High Speed) but for movies HDMI 1-4 (HDR).

My AVR has 2 HDMI Outputs which is interesting.

Rather than just having one HDMI going from AVR to a TV input, could I potentially have two HDMIs running from my AVR to the two different HDMI ports on my TV. Then depending on what I am watching I can just change the TV to the correct input depending on what I am watching and still take advantage of the 7.1

Alternatively, this TV has a 4K casting option for Netflix. Could I do the above with 1 HDMI from AVR to TV for when I play my Xbox but additionally have a return ARC to a AVR input.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ARC Idea.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	1840977   Click image for larger version

Name:	HDMI Idea.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	1840985  
post #36313 of 63935 Old 12-19-2016, 10:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 158
With all the talk about the P series beta firmware program I'm going to add my two cents. I think it's fantastic Matt has offered this early release "beta" program to Vizio customers on the AVSForum. Clearly with this latest firmware it's providing value as we caught something they didn't in testing. It just seems like the process flow for joining or leaving the program needs to flushed out in more detail. I would hate to see the program come to an end.
Schwa, A.Bell, DaverJ and 9 others like this.

65C8P l 65B6P l P55-C1 l Shockwafe Ultra 9.2 & Elite 7.2 l XB1 X l PS4 Pro l Switch
post #36314 of 63935 Old 12-19-2016, 10:47 AM

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 77
My observations of the beta firmware:

HDR on XBox One - I see banding (on Forza Horizon 3) I did not see before. Not that noticeable in game - more so in the cut-scenes and intro screens.
HDR casting on Vudu - no more Dolby Digital Plus (and obviously no Atmos trigger on my receiver any more). I also noticed banding on the dark screens when I fired up "Pacific Rim".
No Dolby Digital Plus on Netflix - didn't try any HDR shows on Netflix yet but would assume they will have same banding issues as the other sources.

I did not notice any issues when I tried the Mad Max Fury Road disc in my Oppo UHD player but I should fire that up again to check as it was only a quick 2-minute test of the new equipment. I have that in UHD on Vudu as well so can compare I suppose.

Anyway, hoping the updated firmware comes out shortly but I understood the risks when I signed up so no complaints.

Spoiler!
post #36315 of 63935 Old 12-19-2016, 10:50 AM

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffactoryxx View Post
I have a Xbox S that will be used for both gaming / UHD movies and will be routed through a Yamaha TSR 7810 AVR to take advantage of my 7.1 setup.

For Gaming I want to use HDMI 5 (High Speed) but for movies HDMI 1-4 (HDR).

My AVR has 2 HDMI Outputs which is interesting.
Mine is wired up like this.

I don't actually use it as I don't notice any problem with HDMI 1 for everything but I recall it did work when I tested it in the summer and then promptly stopped bothering with it.

Spoiler!
post #36316 of 63935 Old 12-19-2016, 11:04 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 6277 Post(s)
Liked: 5920
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpmurr View Post
With all the talk about the P series beta firmware program I'm going to add my two cents. I think it's fantastic Matt has offered this early release "beta" program to Vizio customers on the AVSForum. Clearly with this latest firmware it's providing value as we caught something they didn't in testing. It just seems like the process flow for joining or leaving the program needs to flushed out in more detail. I would hate to see the program come to an end.

Process flow for both joining and leaving are basically the same. PM Matt saying you either want to join or leave. He's made it simple as possible, because he doesn't want to micromanage multiple lists or groups of people.

htwaits likes this.
post #36317 of 63935 Old 12-19-2016, 11:20 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Clarification on Xbox One S HDR issue?

Hi All

First time poster and brand new owner of a P65. Apologies - im sure this has been covered extensively, but im having trouble looking back in posts to find out what the exact issue is with Xbox One S HDR. In my limited experience this weekend the HDR is not active on games that should have it (like GOW). Also - when HDR is active on UHD blurays (like Sicario), the color looks washed out. Are these the HDR issues people have been referring to which are resolved by the beta firmware?

Thanks so much in advance!
post #36318 of 63935 Old 12-19-2016, 11:20 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 223
Here we go again, another beta and another 30 pages of [email protected]$hing and moaning

post #36319 of 63935 Old 12-19-2016, 11:30 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
I'm looking for some help if anyone is able to while I await Vizio's decision on a fix or replacement.

Since the 3.0.10.7 update, when the display is left on for at least an hour I cannot turn it off. Same when it is left off for a while, I can't turn it on. When this happens I have to remove the power cord and reinsert it and then everything is good.

I've tried using smartcast apps from different devices, Vizio remote, Harmony and the buttons on the back of the display. Same response from all of them.

I've done a few resets including using the buttons on the display to reset as well. I've removed all HDMI devices, devices that would control the power, AVR and network in hopes of finding something out of the process of elimination.

Any help would be appreciated.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk
post #36320 of 63935 Old 12-19-2016, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

No, but that's a good idea. I'll try it on an old Fire TV stick to compare with the Roku Ultra and built in Cast with HDR. I hadn't noticed the purple - clearly been not paying attention to what's actually happening in the show as I putz with TV settings.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
post #36321 of 63935 Old 12-19-2016, 11:40 AM

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombiejester View Post
I tried casting Meridian to test out Netflix HDR (on current beta firmware) and the screen went pink on my P75 about halfway through. Anyone know why this is or how to fix? (thanks!)
Yeah, I had the same thing happen. It would play for a few seconds, then the screen would turn all pink and pixelated. No idea what's going on. Plays on my LG oled perfect, look awesome!! But the show itself is punch the TV flat out awful.
post #36322 of 63935 Old 12-19-2016, 12:00 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabajawz View Post
Hi All

First time poster and brand new owner of a P65. Apologies - im sure this has been covered extensively, but im having trouble looking back in posts to find out what the exact issue is with Xbox One S HDR. In my limited experience this weekend the HDR is not active on games that should have it (like GOW). Also - when HDR is active on UHD blurays (like Sicario), the color looks washed out. Are these the HDR issues people have been referring to which are resolved by the beta firmware?

I believe the beta does resolve most of these issues. I have HDR washout on my Xbox One S, and I understood the beta to fix the issues, but I've held off on the beta for now expecting a final release to be imminent (plis I don't have too many HDR things to play at the moment).
post #36323 of 63935 Old 12-19-2016, 12:14 PM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpmurr View Post
Just want to second this. I personally have been lucky and not ran into any of the issues mentioned. The support from Matt and Vizio has been above and beyond from my perspective.
post #36324 of 63935 Old 12-19-2016, 12:35 PM

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Does the latest firmware fix HDR content looking too dark? Or is that the nature of early UHD 4k releases? When will the final release come for this new firmware? I would love it before christmas

SERIAL NUMBER: 30LTMATKBS50098
post #36325 of 63935 Old 12-19-2016, 12:56 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabajawz View Post
Hi All

My understanding is the beta 3.0.x firmwares have enabled HDR gaming on the Xbox One S's... and address/resolve other issues with HDR bluray playback as well..
post #36326 of 63935 Old 12-19-2016, 01:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Movie Source View Post
Does the latest firmware fix HDR content looking too dark? Or is that the nature of early UHD 4k releases? When will the final release come for this new firmware? I would love it before christmas

SERIAL NUMBER: 30LTMATKBS50098
Yeah, 3.0.6.4 opened up shadow detail, but it had its issues. So we got another beta that fixed some things but caused more issues for some not all.

Tomaay and Movie Source like this.
post #36327 of 63935 Old 12-19-2016, 01:35 PM

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisplayCalNoob View Post
Yeah, 3.0.6.4 opened up shadow detail, but it had its issues. So we got another beta that fixed some things but caused more issues for some not all.

Okay, shadow detail and black crush are the biggest issues right for me. Bluray looks excellent, UHD looks way dark, way too dark.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

MY GEAR
Vizio - P75C1
Denon - X6300H
Oppo - 203 UHD Player
Elac - Debut Series with Dolby Atmos
post #36328 of 63935 Old 12-19-2016, 01:36 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpgxsvcd View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai G0SU View Post
After some play time over the weekend within HDMI 5 - (GLL on) - i feel like the input lag increased just a tad bit.

Anyone else feel like the input was a little higher than usual?
I honestly haven?t been able to reproduce the HDR issues that everyone else is describing. However, I haven?t been focusing on that so it could be there but I just haven?t seen it. Instead I preformed my regression testing on the motion handling and quite frankly I was pleasantly stunned.

There have been issues with motion handling all along. At first there were issues where the settings would stick or would change when you switched from one input to another and back again. Those issues were resolved quickly though.

Then the only way to truly get amazing motion handling with the best input lag was to use HDMI 5 with GLL and clear action turned on. This gave you excellent motion handling but it also introduced the annoying flicker especially with mostly white web pages.

When I tried the most recent Beta firmware yesterday I was pleasantly surprised that the issues I had seen before with 1080p @ 120 FPS were all resolved. Now you can turn clear action on and not get any flickering. In addition what appears to have changed in this release is that with 1080p @ 120 FPS specifically it appears that the input lag with GLL turned ?OFF? appears to be very usable.

There is still a difference in input lag between turning GLL on and off with 1080p @ 120 FPS on HDMI 5. However, now that difference appears to be small enough so that you can achieve absolute perfect motion handling with very reasonable input lag.

I didn?t have the ability to measure input lag numerically. However, I really would like to see RTINGS.com test the input lag in 1080p @ 120 FPS mode with GLL on and off.

RTINGS.com has always completely ignored 1080p @ 120 FPS. Samsung displays get an absolute pass for not having it. In addition Sony TVs get credit for having it even though RTINGS.com has said it is broken in the past.

Honestly, RTINGS.com is doing their readers a disservice by ignoring 1080p @ 120 FPS. It is the single best way to play video games. It doesn?t take a monster computer to run 1080p @ 120 FPS like it does with 4K @ 60 FPS.

I really hope that someone from RTINGS.com reads this and responds to it by doing additional testing for input lag at 120 FPS. Also I wonder if the input lag for other resolutions and frame rates has changed since they did their last test? I really think it is about time RTINGS.com gave this display a fair shot and gave it a real honest update to the review. I know they indicated in the past that they were going to do more testing to truly determine what it can and cannot do. However, I honestly do not believe that they gave it a fair shake when they retested it.
Do you feel motion is better with gll off? I personally cannot tell the difference in picture quality with gll on or off. I agree with your comment on 1080p 120fps vs 4k. The feel and response cannot be duplicated with other sets vs Vizio p...
mpgxsvcd and siamesenick like this.
post #36329 of 63935 Old 12-19-2016, 01:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Movie Source View Post
Okay, shadow detail and black crush are the biggest issues right for me. Bluray looks excellent, UHD looks way dark, way too dark.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Black crush was gone to, you got those deep blacks followed by lighter shades. With the latest beta after a factory reset, I've got more image detail from clothing, faces and other textures. For some reason Chefs Table France for me has been affected positively by the last beta. Detail is amazing, black levels are great, its very bright when it needs to be, but its at its best when it shows night scenes with neon in China. Its like sight seeing through a spotless car window at night.

Highlights still pop in those night scenes, reflections. Just awe inspiring.

Bootnylee and Movie Source like this.

Last edited by DisplayCalNoob; 12-19-2016 at 01:52 PM.
post #36330 of 63935 Old 12-19-2016, 01:53 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafka0622 View Post
Oh it definitely is not an HDR game but that isn't really the problem. I can't believe that the way Vizio intends this to work is that I have to go into settings and turn on HDR when I want to play an HDR compatible game but then go back in to settings and turn HDR off to play a game which is not HDR. I should be able to leave the HDR setting to "Automatic" and the game should function properly in either mode. It is not currently doing that.
Yes, it's absolutely an HDR game and yes, that's exactly how automatic works. If I can take a stab at your problem, you have a receiver upscaling to 4k, try turning off the upscaling or bypassing the receiver by plugging directly into the display and see if you still have the issue.

On another note, the amount of bickering and dickisness on this thread is saddening. It's awesome that Vizio is so active in the community and one of the reasons I purchased this absolutely amazing display, if you weren't aware of the risks of BETA testing or are unhappy with the current firmware, please don't blame Vizio, don't blame other people in the community, and just please provide succinct feedback and wait for it to be fixed. Yeah, it would be lovely to be able to roll back firmware updates but come on, that's just another thing they have to support for a very, very minor minority, they're already going above and beyond what most companies do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
2016/2017 vizio p-series - nice pic(k)! / netflix , best value , D7000 , dolby vision , latest firmware - 6.0.18.1 - previous 5.0.16.1 , Vizio , Vudu

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page