Official Vizio 2016/2017 P Series Owners ONLY Thread UHD/HDR/DV No Price Talk Please - Page 1303 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 288682Likes

post #39061 of 64601 Old 01-19-2017, 05:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2133 Post(s)
Liked: 2221
Quote:
Originally Posted by famousgrouse View Post
P55 owner & long time lurker here - have read through at least 60% of this thread over the last several months & learned a lot thanks to all the great contributors here.

I'm really happy with my P55, but there's one thing I can't figure out & hoping someone can help. When starting a cast after the TV has been powered off, the volume is often incredibly loud - like painfully loud, regardless of the current volume setting. Maybe happens 50% of the time and dropping the volume one click immediately fixes it, but it's really killing my WAF on this set.

I have the audio going through an old ZVOX soundbar with analog input. TV speakers turned off. Have tried volume leveling on/off with no difference either way. I've used the same soundbar for years with my previous TV so it's definitely related to the Vizio. Not sure if there's a setting I'm missing, or if it's a bug with the analog outputs.

Any ideas?
I have noticed the volume from the casting source is way different than the volume from any other input. I just remember to turn it down before powering it off. I would be curious if anyone else has found a fix for this or if there even is one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #39062 of 64601 Old 01-19-2017, 05:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by rontalley View Post

I get a HUGE brightness bump with FALD off.

Clear Action is on.

I took a FALD on and FALD off. To my eyes, there is no perceived difference in brightness. It actually appeared that the setting had zero effect...

Clear Action inserts black frames into the picture to reduce motion blur so it dims the brightness.

Try turning Clear Action off. Your picture should be brighter when it's off.
post #39063 of 64601 Old 01-19-2017, 06:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked: 427
First, thanks again for everyone's input on my perceived issues. Having such a wonderful audio experience, I really do want the video to compliment it. This is the reason why I chose the P65-C1 over the Samsung KS8000. The KS8000 really looked great at Best Buy but I chose what AVS suggested as the better set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karnis2 View Post
I'll share my settings & see if this helps.

I run two HDMI outputs from my AVR to the P-65 (my Marantz has dual HDMI outputs). Both outputs display the same source signal simultaneously. I send SDR signals to P-65 HDMI input 1 and HDR signals to HDMI 3. HDMI 1 sub sampling=off. HDMI 3 sub sampling = on. More on this later.
Smart. The only other HDR compatible source would be my XBox One S. I was concerned with loosing HD Audio by using the ARC. Don't know if this is an issue? Was also concerned about loosing PQ by going through my Yamaha 3050...Would be great not to have to pick a lessor of two evil type of thing.

Quote:

If you tune to CNN or ESPN or any typical clean cable channel (I have direcTV) & it doesn't look really good with the above settings in a typically lit room, stop right there, somethings wrong. This set is designed to look great @ calibrated - default right out of the box. CNN from DirecTv in particular should show off the set's accurate color rendition with distinct flesh tones, very good blacks and nice bright whites, as well as excellent motion handling on the crawl at the bottom of the screen...nice and tight, no blur.
Cut the cord long time ago so it's either streaming, BD or playing movies off the server. I have been pretty satisfied with the Roku 2 and content in 1080p has actually been pretty darn good.

Quote:
Casting:
Same calibrated picture mode as above to start. The backlight starting point really doesn't matter anyway except from a troubleshooting point. Need to confirm you are actually getting DV from Netflix first and foremost. Using the Vizio tablet Netflix app as reference, switch to the cast input. Now tap the Netflix cast icon & select the P65. You have to select the P65 first before selecting the DV program. Now go to daredevil season 1 or cosmos laundromat. Because you've already selected the P-65 as the Cast device, it will show a dolby vision logo in the program description and will say dolby vision when loading. Your backlight should switch from 85 to 50. Now you know its working. While the program is playing, drop the backlight from 50 to 40. Stop the program and restart it. The backlight should again drop but to 40 this time. Note, many of these DV titles on Netflix are kinda dark to begin with. That's why I recommend cosmos laundromat if you can find it.
Thanks again for the instructions. I got it. However, I am not experiencing the boost in the midrange as many have reported. I am experiencing a dark picture. Darker than what anyone should consider "Calibrated". Even at night when all the lights are out. If I reset the picture mode, set BL to 40 then stop, then restart, I do not have an increase in PQ, I get an even darker image.

Quote:
If you really want to test your backlight just take your finger and run the slider from 0-100 while playing a program. Toggling it on & off, especially watching test patterns, won't do much of anything.
YES!!!
Please someone tell me how can I check to see if my FALD LED thingy is broken or not working. It seems like the LED lights are just not coming on. I'd imagine that's the reason why when I turn Active LED Zones "On" the image gets darker because maybe the other lights are set to dim when FALD is turned "on" so if the LED lights are not working then that would explain why the image is so dark?...Maybe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisplayCalNoob View Post
You don't want Clear Action for DV titles, if that is the case. Clear Action will produce even less light output, because it operates in a LED on/off manner to reduce blur or pixelization, particularly for sports. Some use it for gaming.

This may explain why you have to increase your backlight settings for everything.

Sent from my 5054N using Tapatalk
Confirmed. I turned it off and the image is brighter. However, still seems not right with FALD set to "on"

Quote:
Originally Posted by razrsharp View Post
So I received my firmware update (3.0.12.2) and immediately I'm having issues with my Harmony Hub setup. Now when I choose the activity to cast the Harmony sends the signal to component input, as if the Vizio has changed IR codes.

The only way to fix it is to open the Vizio app, and correct the input to Cast. This is going to upset the wife, which in turn will upset me. I've tried setting up the harmony to select other inputs to no avail.

Why on earth would Vizio mess with IR codes in a firmware update? Christ, this is by far the most bizarre TV I've ever owned. No changes were made to the Harmony software, and no updates were available for it either.

Anyone experience and find a fix to this?
Me as well.

Quote:
Search my user name and you'll find the fix. You have to change the hdmi 5 command to comp. Had to use the android app, the PC app wouldn't fix it
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazzarias View Post
Clear Action definitely lowers overall brightness. I don't use it for any content, personally, because I find the strobing action introduced by it to be quite annoying.
Thanks. So you don't loose any PQ with it off? Just better for fast moving stuff?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleCakYngMfd View Post
Jumping back in here to report on my NetFlix viewing of OA.

Ug.

LDR (Low Dynamic Range).

Had to adjust these settings to get a decent 'pop' on the pic:

44 Brightness
70 Contrast
2.4 Gamma

I left the Backlight at 50.

I thought I was crazy! I keep telling myself that this can't be right. I tried your settings and it looked better.

Sad thing is, I think my mind is playing tricks on me because this morning, the overall set just looks dull. I think the TV is trolling me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattopotamus View Post
Just wanted to follow up on ATMOS over ARC. I tested it last night and, like others, am only getting DD+ when casting. My AVR is a Denon X2200. I was previously getting ATMOS. Hopefully there is an update soon to fix this and FALD working closer to previous builds. Blacks appear no where near as deep as before. My fear is that this is the final version and vizio is sorta done with this TV.
Still haven't really received the answer I am looking for here and you might be the one to answer it for me. Does ARC send HD Audio back to the AVR? Not DD+with Atmos but the actual True HD Master with Atmos.

Seems like I supposed to hook the XBox directly up to the TV but then I might loose True HD when playing a BD. Seems like I might loose PQ when hooking up the XBox to the AVR then going to the TV. I really want them both! I would pick a little PQ loss over not having True HD audio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennywise1982 View Post
Clear Action inserts black frames into the picture to reduce motion blur so it dims the brightness.

Try turning Clear Action off. Your picture should be brighter when it's off.
Confirmed. Can you confirm that having this off does not reduce PQ?

As you all can see, I am really trying my best to work through this. I am really close to throwing in the towel and getting the KS8000.

My Media Room
AVR 1-Yamaha RX-A3050 (7.2.4), AVR 2 Pioneer VSX-815-K(Used for 4ch Amp TF+TR)
Mains-Polk Audio RTi8, Center-Polk Audio CSi5, Surrounds-Polk Audio RTi4, Ceilings-Micca M-8C, Sub 1- UM18-22 (4cu.ft DIY) - iNuke 6000DSP, Sub 2-Klipsch RW12D
Projector-BenQ 3550 4K, Screen-110" Silver Ticket STR-169110, TV-Vizio P-65 4K
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #39064 of 64601 Old 01-19-2017, 06:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Quote:
I saw a 7000 series in BB that looks stunning to me. It was a 65inch for $1,300. I mean it really looked great but I kept telling myself, "AVS" said that the P65 "is" "the" TV to get. The BB guy said that the 7000 had "fake" HDR but it was still a great set, in his opinion, and was one from one of the leading TV brands.

I was sooooo close to getting it and using the extra $500 on something else...
If your going to get a Samsung is should be the 8 series or higher. If you stick with Vizio, buy only the P65 or higher. Stay away from the P50 and P55, the best value and performance comes from the P65.
post #39065 of 64601 Old 01-19-2017, 06:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
First, thanks again for everyone's input on my perceived issues. Having such a wonderful audio experience, I really do want the video to compliment it. This is the reason why I chose the P65-C1 over the Samsung KS8000. The KS8000 really looked great at Best Buy but I chose what AVS suggested as the better set.

Smart. The only other HDR compatible source would be my XBox One S. I was concerned with loosing HD Audio by using the ARC. Don't know if this is an issue? Was also concerned about loosing PQ by going through my Yamaha 3050...Would be great not to have to pick a lessor of two evil type of thing.

Cut the cord long time ago so it's either streaming, BD or playing movies off the server. I have been pretty satisfied with the Roku 2 and content in 1080p has actually been pretty darn good.

Thanks again for the instructions. I got it. However, I am not experiencing the boost in the midrange as many have reported. I am experiencing a dark picture. Darker than what anyone should consider "Calibrated". Even at night when all the lights are out. If I reset the picture mode, set BL to 40 then stop, then restart, I do not have an increase in PQ, I get an even darker image.

YES!!!
Please someone tell me how can I check to see if my FALD LED thingy is broken or not working. It seems like the LED lights are just not coming on. I'd imagine that's the reason why when I turn Active LED Zones "On" the image gets darker because maybe the other lights are set to dim when FALD is turned "on" so if the LED lights are not working then that would explain why the image is so dark?...Maybe?

Confirmed. I turned it off and the image is brighter. However, still seems not right with FALD set to "on"

Me as well.

Thanks.

Thanks. So you don't loose any PQ with it off? Just better for fast moving stuff?

I thought I was crazy! I keep telling myself that this can't be right. I tried your settings and it looked better.

Sad thing is, I think my mind is playing tricks on me because this morning, the overall set just looks dull. I think the TV is trolling me!

Still haven't really received the answer I am looking for here and you might be the one to answer it for me. Does ARC send HD Audio back to the AVR? Not DD+with Atmos but the actual True HD Master with Atmos.

Seems like I supposed to hook the XBox directly up to the TV but then I might loose True HD when playing a BD. Seems like I might loose PQ when hooking up the XBox to the AVR then going to the TV. I really want them both! I would pick a little PQ loss over not having True HD audio.

As you all can see, I am really trying my best to work through this. I am really close to throwing in the towel and getting the KS8000.
The audio will be the lossy version of ATMOS. This is a large reason disc format is so important to most of us here on AVS, the audio. If audio is the most important thing, you are much better connecting your xbox directly to your AVR than using ARC.
post #39066 of 64601 Old 01-19-2017, 06:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turts85 View Post
If your going to get a Samsung is should be the 8 series or higher. If you stick with Vizio, buy only the P65 or higher. Stay away from the P50 and P55, the best value and performance comes from the P65.
Going back through the reviews, I realized why I passed on the Samsung in the first place. I have a rather large Den but unfortunatly, my wife would not allow me to make it HT style seating so i had to angle one of my full couches at a 45 to the screen. I also angled the screen about 20 degrees off axis from the sweet spot. Really kinda wierd but at least this way everyone can see the TV. Those who sit on the far end will have a higher viewing angle. I guess the KS8000 is not the best TV for this.

Third choice was the Sony X850D

Really wanted a 75 inch but prices were too high to get quality. I am starting to think that maybe HDR is worth it considering that most of the content we will be watching will be in SD. But, I also believe that I haven't experienced the true HDR thing yet. Hopefully my Mad Max Fury Road UHD BD will arrive today.

Quote:
The audio will be the lossy version of ATMOS. This is a large reason disc format is so important to most of us here on AVS, the audio. If audio is the most important thing, you are much better connecting your xbox directly to your AVR than using ARC.
Thanks. Figured this was the case.

My Media Room
Mains-Polk Audio RTi8, Center-Polk Audio CSi5, Surrounds-Polk Audio RTi4, Ceilings-Micca M-8C, Sub 1- UM18-22 (4cu.ft DIY) - iNuke 6000DSP, Sub 2-Klipsch RW12D
post #39067 of 64601 Old 01-19-2017, 06:44 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 6862 Post(s)
Liked: 6781
@rontalley you may want to post some comparison shots. What you are perceiving as "too dark" may be exactly what is supposed to be shown. It seems you are expecting something possibly earth shattering, but if you take a look through the thread you'll see a lot of expectation vs reality some of the DV material (such as MP and Daredevil) are just dark to begin with. Posting pictures would help us help you determine if what you are seeing is "normal" or if your set/settings are defective/off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #39068 of 64601 Old 01-19-2017, 06:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Going back through the reviews, I realized why I passed on the Samsung in the first place. I have a rather large Den but unfortunatly, my wife would not allow me to make it HT style seating so i had to angle one of my full couches at a 45 to the screen. I also angled the screen about 20 degrees off axis from the sweet spot. Really kinda wierd but at least this way everyone can see the TV. Those who sit on the far end will have a higher viewing angle. I guess the KS8000 is not the best TV for this.

Third choice was the Sony X850D

Really wanted a 75 inch but prices were too high to get quality. I am starting to think that maybe HDR is worth it considering that most of the content we will be watching will be in SD. But, I also believe that I haven't experienced the true HDR thing yet. Hopefully my Mad Max Fury Road UHD BD will arrive today.

Thanks. Figured this was the case.
Madmax is great for audio. Personally, I do not care for the intentional grain in the film. If you want some another great movie for audio, check out Sully. X-men apocalypse, Lucy, and The Shallows are a few movies that are visually spectacular.
post #39069 of 64601 Old 01-19-2017, 06:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 5037 Post(s)
Liked: 3053
Quote:
I found the easiest fix for the Harmony/ Cast issue was to just add a Vizio NEXT INPUT command to my CAST activity window, so when it switches to the COMP input, just press NEXT INPUT twice and that will switch to the CAST input....or create a sequence with 2 NEXT INPUT commands. I tried every trick in the book including suggestions here and nothing else worked. It will work for now. :-)
In the last couple of days it seems the "inputNext" command has stopped working or only works intermittently on my Harmony when I start the activity for casting content to the Vizio. Has anyone else noticed this?

lujan
641 Ultra HD
729 HD
4 SD
post #39070 of 64601 Old 01-19-2017, 06:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
@rontalley you may want to post some comparison shots. What you are perceiving as "too dark" may be exactly what is supposed to be shown. It seems you are expecting something possibly earth shattering, but if you take a look through the thread you'll see a lot of expectation vs reality some of the DV material (such as MP and Daredevil) are just dark to begin with. Posting pictures would help us help you determine if what you are seeing is "normal" or if your set/settings are defective/off.

Hopefully you are correct or I am going blind.

I have a Sony a57 DLSR camera and tripod. I am pretty familiar with it and believe that I can take some shot that will represent what I am seeing.

Could you provide me some scenarios of what type of shots I need to take?

Thanks

My Media Room
post #39071 of 64601 Old 01-19-2017, 06:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortyg83 View Post
Turn the movie on and switch your receiver to pure.
This didn't work to bring back Atmos over ARC.

lujan
641 Ultra HD
729 HD
4 SD
post #39072 of 64601 Old 01-19-2017, 06:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Madmax is great for audio. Personally, I do not care for the intentional grain in the film. If you want some another great movie for audio, check out Sully. X-men apocalypse, Lucy, and The Shallows are a few movies that are visually spectacular.
I have Mad Max in BD with Atmos and the Atmos track is great! However, I bought the UHD version for the Video. Hmm seems like I need to get X-Men!

My Media Room
post #39073 of 64601 Old 01-19-2017, 06:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasfxlt View Post
Mine is reporting DD+ on the Vizio app w subsampling ON. My Pioneer reports 6.1 DD. It decode DDSurround on the same settings I use to decode Atmos from the Ultra or my Roku successfully. I just think the main AVR to
Display cable is too long even thought it's a BJC Series 1. It passes 4k/60 4:4:4 no problem but something gets lost with DD+. I've tried everything including black magic.
I think I'm with thomasfxIt and have given up trying to get Atmos over ARC. I have tried all the suggestions and it's just not working after the latest firmware. It seems to be an issue with the firmware and the Denon AVRs as other have mentioned still getting Atmos over ARC on other brands of AVRs.
OHMSEN likes this.

lujan
641 Ultra HD
729 HD
4 SD
post #39074 of 64601 Old 01-19-2017, 07:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I have Mad Max in BD with Atmos and the Atmos track is great! However, I bought the UHD version for the Video. Hmm seems like I need to get X-Men!
here is a link to Ralph's review of it. 100 for video
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/187-of...ay-review.html
post #39075 of 64601 Old 01-19-2017, 07:10 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
+1
The Atmos soundtrack from Fury Road is ear shattering. I don't think my sub ever went idle!
Not to mention, it looks gorgeous on the Vizio...
post #39076 of 64601 Old 01-19-2017, 07:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1953 Post(s)
Liked: 4170
Quote:
Clear Action strobes the backlights, which sharpens (reduces blur) moving images. The downside is a darker image (can be corrected with upping the backlight), and ghosting motion in darker scenes. It's great for fast moving bright sports and bright video games if your eyes can adjust to the flicker, which sometimes takes a couple minutes. But no effect for most movies.

Quote:
I am really close to throwing in the towel and getting the KS8000.
I mean this sincerely Ron - the KS8000 might be a good option. The Samsung seems to be a brighter image with more "pop", while the Vizio has better black levels with details in the dark areas. From your posts, it sounds like you might favor the former, and there's nothing wrong with that. Different products for different tastes.

Hope this works out for you - good luck!
Ph8te, colibri, kepowers1 and 1 others like this.
post #39077 of 64601 Old 01-19-2017, 07:40 AM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbuchanan813 View Post
I've had it and it's not severely crippled . Not in the slightest .

Quote:
Search my user name and you'll find the fix. You have to change the hdmi 5 command to comp. Had to use the android app, the PC app wouldn't fix it
Thanks. I did search and found one of your posts that mention adding in a custom button command to go "input next" a couple times until it finds the cast. Is that the fix you're talking about?

I suspect now that the new firmware with the moved component input is rolling out mainstream, we're gonna see a lot more of this issue on the forums. Suppose Logitech can fix this, however.
post #39078 of 64601 Old 01-19-2017, 07:41 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 6862 Post(s)
Liked: 6781
Quote:
Hopefully you are correct or I am going blind.

I have a Sony a57 DLSR camera and tripod. I am pretty familiar with it and believe that I can take some shot that will represent what I am seeing.

Could you provide me some scenarios of what type of shots I need to take?

Thanks

There nothing wrong with personal preference I would say take photos of scenes where you feel they are "too dark". Also remember that you're not supposed to always see every detail in dark scenes. If we see images of what you feel are too dark it may help us better understand what you are seeing. If you add time stamps and titles it would allow members to compare. Remember to add if the pictures accurately represent what you are seeing.

post #39079 of 64601 Old 01-19-2017, 07:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 775 Post(s)
Liked: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon B View Post
Out of curiosity, what UHD player are you using and do you have subsampling on? My Oppo 203 seems to prefer it off to function well when playing UHD BDs, and the PS4 (non-pro) doesn't care either way. Also running through a 7702mkII.
I have the 203 now. I had the K8500 formerly. All my sources go through the 7702mkII to HDMI 1 on the TV. Yes, I have and keep subsampling on for all devices. It has worked mostly stably since I last swapped cables and through recent firmware.

Occasionally, I will get no signals and the snow screen, but those are rare. The Roku is the least stable lately, but their firmware is all hacked up recently.

Video: JVC NX7, Stewart Cima Neve 135"
Audio: Marantz AV7704, Emotiva XPA-11 Gen 3
Speakers: Focal Electra 1038 Be x 2, Electra CC 1008 Be, Aria 906 x 8, REL S5 SHO x 2
Sources: Apple TV 4k, Kaleidescape Strato, Xbox One X, Nintendo Switch
Xbox Live: TrackZ
post #39080 of 64601 Old 01-19-2017, 07:49 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 474 Post(s)
Liked: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post
In the last couple of days it seems the "inputNext" command has stopped working or only works intermittently on my Harmony when I start the activity for casting content to the Vizio. Has anyone else noticed this?

My harmony works perfectly

post #39081 of 64601 Old 01-19-2017, 07:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post
inputNext is working for me on my harmony hub.

Sony 55X900e
Vizio P50-C1 - My Calibration Settings
Xbox One X
PS4 Pro
post #39082 of 64601 Old 01-19-2017, 08:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 219 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5606 Post(s)
Liked: 3790
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoman94 View Post
Here you go... picture pages....
Quote:
Originally Posted by razrsharp View Post
Thanks. I did search and found one of your posts that mention adding in a custom button command to go "input next" a couple times until it finds the cast. Is that the fix you're talking about?

I suspect now that the new firmware with the moved component input is rolling out mainstream, we're gonna see a lot more of this issue on the forums. Suppose Logitech can fix this, however.
It's link in the quote or click here: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lc...l#post48258057
pilgrimpete and razrsharp like this.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2018 Sony LCD Master Series Calibration Thread
Sony XBR-75Z9F, Vizio M50-E1, Pioneer Kuro 5020, Marantz SR6013, AppleTV-4K, XBox One & (X), NVIDIA SHIELD.v1, FireTV 4K-HDR, HDHR Connects, QNAP 431+
post #39083 of 64601 Old 01-19-2017, 08:50 AM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoman94 View Post
It's link in the quote or click here: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lc...l#post48258057
Amazing, thanks. We should keep this handy as people roll into 3.0.12.2.
I couldn't imagine what the average 80-90% of people who don't use AVS forums are thinking after that update.
pilgrimpete and shoman94 like this.
post #39084 of 64601 Old 01-19-2017, 08:55 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hey guys, pretty new to this. I have a P65-C1, Denon s720w w/ 3.0 speakers, Xbox One S, and cable TV receiver that I usually like to have plugged into my Xbox One S. What would be my best solution for getting the most out of my system as far as which HDMI ports to use, how to hook up ARC or if I even want it, and ensuring DV and HDR10 are working properly? Thanks! I do have the newest firmware.
post #39085 of 64601 Old 01-19-2017, 08:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2067 Post(s)
Liked: 729
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
...Remember that you're not supposed
to always see every detail in dark scenes.

Exactly. This cannot be overstated.

One should not be looking for the last bit of detail in all dark areas of an image. At the expense of a washed-out, 'foggy' pic? The human eye will always have the best Dynamic Range. A compromise must be made with Display devices to get the best overall image. Some detail at times, dare I say MOST times, is not going to be seen in dark/black areas.

An owner can adjust the image anyway they want to bring up 'all the details', but at a cost of killing the best pic possible.

- PjThis is The End-Age GenerationTime is Running OutQuakes, Sinkholes, Meteors
EvilutionMankind Was CreatedWe Didn't Come From ApesThere Was a Worldwide Flood!
The End of This Age is Near!I'm Ready For The Rapture!Are You Ready?The Time is Now!
post #39086 of 64601 Old 01-19-2017, 09:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleCakYngMfd View Post
Exactly. This cannot be overstated.

One should not be looking for the last bit of detail in all dark areas of an image. At the expense of a washed-out, 'foggy' pic? The human eye will always have the best Dynamic Range. A compromise must be made with Display devices to get the best overall image. Some detail at times, dare I say MOST times, is not going to be seen in dark/black areas.

An owner can adjust the image anyway they want to bring up 'all the details', but at a cost of killing the best pic possible.

I 100% agree with this. I am actually trying to get the day time scenes to look like daytime.

Are the pictures that load when the TV is on Cast with nothing playing supposed to look vibrant? Mines look like a display that has went to sleep but still has the video on screen and when you move the mouse or press a button on the remote then the picture pops back to bright. However, in my case, the picture never pops back. It just sits there looking dull <----Best way to describe what I am seeing.

Think I will put the Tablet on a stand in front of the TV with an image on screen when I take a picture? This way there can be a comparison of relative brightness.

My Media Room
post #39087 of 64601 Old 01-19-2017, 10:02 AM

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
I 100% agree with this. I am actually trying to get the day time scenes to look like daytime.

Are the pictures that load when the TV is on Cast with nothing playing supposed to look vibrant? Mines look like a display that has went to sleep but still has the video on screen and when you move the mouse or press a button on the remote then the picture pops back to bright. However, in my case, the picture never pops back. It just sits there looking dull <----Best way to describe what I am seeing.

Think I will put the Tablet on a stand in front of the TV with an image on screen when I take a picture? This way there can be a comparison of relative brightness.
What about "Auto Brightness Control"? I find that if it's enabled, it can be detrimental to brightness levels. But more importantly can impact changes made to backlight/brightness in an unexpected fashion?
post #39088 of 64601 Old 01-19-2017, 10:03 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Has anyone noticed banding on The Martian on 4k UHD Blu-ray, I have an Oppo UDP-203, I think it looks terrible. Tried different HDMI cables, and the same banding, is this because the bit depth on the Vizio p75-C1 inch isn't good enough?

Not really happy about this.

MY GEAR
Vizio - P75C1
Denon - X6300H
Oppo - 203 UHD Player
Elac - Debut Series with Dolby Atmos
post #39089 of 64601 Old 01-19-2017, 10:03 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
New to this forum, hi guys! I've been searching for some discussion of this but haven't found it, so i thought I would ask.

I got my P65 two days ago for $1500 from BB, it was an open box in excellent condition. After setting up it upgraded to the latest firmware: 3.0.12.2. I set it up to "Calibrated Dark" and adjusted the backlight to what the room seemed to be good with. My overall impression is that it's a great looking TV. however I had some questions about what I should expect.

With FALD ON, everything to my eye looks pretty "HDRish", specular highlights are very bright, darks are very dark. This is any content, 1080p, 4k, etc.. When watching some DV content on Netflix (casting) I can't really tell that it's any better. I know DV contains wide color as well as more bits(?) for how bright or dark a pixel should be? I guess my question is: Everything looks kind of HDR now, so what's the diff with DV?

Also with FALD ON, and maybe this is a 3.0.12.2 issue, as I see some people complaining. On some types of scenes, like when there are two people talking to each other with backlight and it switches between the two the FALD is kind of annoying. You can see it adjusting, is this something that is special to this firmware? FALD in general or HDR? Would switching to the KS800 not have this kind of issue?

Thanks so much for taking time to answer these questions! I've been searching up and down for answers but can't find anything.
post #39090 of 64601 Old 01-19-2017, 10:20 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Anyone know if the P65 has the same video issues that the M65 has with the Xbox one-S?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
2016/2017 vizio p-series - nice pic(k)! / netflix , best value , D7000 , dolby vision , latest firmware - 6.0.18.1 - previous 5.0.16.1 , Vizio , Vudu

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page