Official Vizio 2016/2017 P Series Owners ONLY Thread UHD/HDR/DV No Price Talk Please - Page 1304 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 288684Likes

post #39091 of 64623 Old 01-19-2017, 10:22 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6867 Post(s)
Liked: 6795
Quote:
Originally Posted by rontalley View Post
I 100% agree with this. I am actually trying to get the day time scenes to look like daytime.

Are the pictures that load when the TV is on Cast with nothing playing supposed to look vibrant? Mines look like a display that has went to sleep but still has the video on screen and when you move the mouse or press a button on the remote then the picture pops back to bright. However, in my case, the picture never pops back. It just sits there looking dull <----Best way to describe what I am seeing.

Think I will put the Tablet on a stand in front of the TV with an image on screen when I take a picture? This way there can be a comparison of relative brightness.

You shouldn't be comparing your TV to a phone or tablet. It seems you are looking for a picture that is more like what you would find by using the Vivid setting (you could also try Computer color temp on Calibrated or Calibrated Dark). It may not be accurate (or even close to it), but it may offer the "pop" you desire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shoman94 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #39092 of 64623 Old 01-19-2017, 10:25 AM

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 6867 Post(s)
Liked: 6795
@jonclegg yes the delayed Dimming response came up in the latest firmware that you have. Per Matt's tweet the other day, this is "known" and being worked on.

post #39093 of 64623 Old 01-19-2017, 10:33 AM

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 4019 Post(s)
Liked: 3313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Movie Source View Post
Has anyone noticed banding on The Martian on 4k UHD Blu-ray, I have an Oppo UDP-203, I think it looks terrible. Tried different HDMI cables, and the same banding, is this because the bit depth on the Vizio p75-C1 inch isn't good enough?

Not really happy about this.
Its flawless on my P65. Try different color space outputs from the Oppo. 4:2:2 vs 4:4:4 would be the starting point. If that doesn't help, try 10 bit output vs 12 bit. Change just one thing at a time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #39094 of 64623 Old 01-19-2017, 10:36 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Can anyone confirm the input lag on 4k @ 60Hz + HDR is now 40-45ms?
post #39095 of 64623 Old 01-19-2017, 10:37 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
@jonclegg yes the delayed Dimming response came up in the latest firmware that you have. Per Matt's tweet the other day, this is "known" and being worked on.

Is there a way to downgrade the firmware?
post #39096 of 64623 Old 01-19-2017, 10:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonclegg View Post
Is there a way to downgrade the firmware?

No.

Ph8te likes this.
post #39097 of 64623 Old 01-19-2017, 11:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked: 2221
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
Its flawless on my P65. Try different color space outputs from the Oppo. 4:2:2 vs 4:4:4 would be the starting point. If that doesn't help, try 10 bit output vs 12 bit. Change just one thing at a time.
This. I bet the oppo has a 12-bit setting on. The same thing happens to people on the Samsung 4K player when they try to use "deep color" or whatever they call that setting.
post #39098 of 64623 Old 01-19-2017, 11:06 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 7
I'm not sure if this has been posted but what are the best settings to hook up a PS4 Pro? I have the latest update and I think I read something about ports 1-4 improving with it. Port 5 seems to only get YUV420 whereas port 1-4 get RGB full 4K support.
post #39099 of 64623 Old 01-19-2017, 11:08 AM

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 4019 Post(s)
Liked: 3313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattopotamus View Post
This. I bet the oppo has a 12-bit setting on. The same thing happens to people on the Samsung 4K player when they try to use "deep color" or whatever they call that setting.
The "auto" setting will often result in 12 bit also, since displays seem to like to ask for 12 bit regardless of whether they can handle it correctly. I feed my P65 12 bit all the time with no issues.
post #39100 of 64623 Old 01-19-2017, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirelanceRZ View Post
No.

Shame, I would really like to see what it looked like before this issue. I was doing some more testing and it's really noticeable when going from bright to dark in scene changes. Netflix's The Crown Episode 1 @ 34:44 has a scene change like this where the upper left has a bright window and then scene changes to where it's a dark wall. There is a noticeable delay in the brightness.

In rtings calibration they say:

"If you don't like to have the screen constantly changing luminosity depending on the scene, or if you see some blooming around bright objects, turn off 'Active LED Zones'."

It's not the luminosity change, though that can be distracting. It's the noticeable lag, this was not an issue at all before?
post #39101 of 64623 Old 01-19-2017, 11:39 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I have been enjoying my P65 since mid-December and have largely avoided many of the issues that are reported here. I think I have a great panel. Had one minor hiccup (very dark DV) with the firmware upgrade that was resolved with a factory reset. Overall very happy with this display. I have adapted to the Smartcast way of doing things and now find myself rarely using Roku for Netflix, Plex, YouTube, etc.

One thing that bugs me is that when disconnecting from casting, the display stays in "cast" mode and displays the pretty picture slide show. Why? Does anyone really leave their display in cast mode and admire those pictures or, like me, when you have finished casting you typically switch back to an HDMI input for cable/disc/game etc, or simply switch off and go to bed.

@Matt McRae and the Vizio boffins, would it be possible to have an option in Smartcast to choose what happens when casting is disconnected? Options could include stay in cast mode, switch back to an HDMI input or turn display off. As it is now, if disconnecting from Netflix for example, you have to get out of Netflix app, go into Smartcast and navigate through to the screen that allows you to choose the input. This is even worse if you have Smartcast in something other than the main screen (e.g. the frequently used picture adjustment screen ) and you have several more taps just to back out to the main screen. Unless I'm missing something obvious, simply switching from casting back to an HDMI input involves way too many steps. Not very family friendly (my wife hates it!). My suggestion would be a popup menu with a list of inputs/options. One tap, and you're where you want to be. For me, at least, this would be a big improvement in user friendliness.
post #39102 of 64623 Old 01-19-2017, 11:40 AM

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonclegg View Post
Shame, I would really like to see what it looked like before this issue. I was doing some more testing and it's really noticeable when going from bright to dark in scene changes. Netflix's The Crown Episode 1 @ 34:44 has a scene change like this where the upper left has a bright window and then scene changes to where it's a dark wall. There is a noticeable delay in the brightness.

In rtings calibration they say:

"If you don't like to have the screen constantly changing luminosity depending on the scene, or if you see some blooming around bright objects, turn off 'Active LED Zones'."

It's not the luminosity change, though that can be distracting. It's the noticeable lag, this was not an issue at all before?
Never noticed it on 2.2.7.4. Seeing this again with 3.0.12.2.
post #39103 of 64623 Old 01-19-2017, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazzarias View Post
Never noticed it on 2.2.7.4. Seeing this again with 3.0.12.2.
Ok, I'm gonna hope it gets fixed soon. I think I'll have to turn FLAD off until then, shame since to my eye it's really what makes the display different than a much cheaper set.

I'm surprised more people aren't talking about this, maybe i'm just sensitive since I work in video. I took a slowmo video from my iphone and it's is a very short period of delay, I would guess < 33ms, still long enough to notice.
post #39104 of 64623 Old 01-19-2017, 11:46 AM

Yeah, I think a lot of us would love if we were able to rollback firmwares. Even though this one isn't the worst IMO, 2.274 was perfect.

tazzarias likes this.
post #39105 of 64623 Old 01-19-2017, 11:55 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Got the update and enjoying it sofar. No problems with minimal use

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk
post #39106 of 64623 Old 01-19-2017, 12:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked: 431
Quote:
What about "Auto Brightness Control"? I find that if it's enabled, it can be detrimental to brightness levels. But more importantly can impact changes made to backlight/brightness in an unexpected fashion?
I've played around with alot of different settings. However, once I get too far down the rabbit trail, I do a factor reset. Switch to Calibrated, do the Backlight level thingy trick to 40, then start all over again however...a WTF?!?! Just happened 10 minutes ago...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
You shouldn't be comparing your TV to a phone or tablet. It seems you are looking for a picture that is more like what you would find by using the Vivid setting (you could also try Computer color temp on Calibrated or Calibrated Dark). It may not be accurate (or even close to it), but it may offer the "pop" you desire.

Vivid is a hot mess. Over saturated and exaggerated images. Looks great on the Youtube Nature 4K videos but I know better.

I was going through, yet again, more settings during lunch. I turned the contrast up to 60, brightness down to 45, gamma to 2.0 then the backlight up to 65. Stopped the video. Started the video.

Starred at the screen for a minute then BAM! All of a sudden the screen got super bright! Everything just kinda popped out of the screen. I litterally started sweating. Then just as fast as my heart started racing, the image got dark again...

That was enough for me. I've been at this for 3 days now. If it wasn't for this brief miracle of pure UHD goodness, I would have continued to think that I was crazy.

No need for the pics now but I was only going to use the tablet as a reference for relative brightness of something else as the tablet screen is much more brighter than the TV screen. Again, this is with Active LED Zones=on. The screen is plenty bright with it off.

My Media Room
AVR 1-Yamaha RX-A3050 (7.2.4), AVR 2 Pioneer VSX-815-K(Used for 4ch Amp TF+TR)
Mains-Polk Audio RTi8, Center-Polk Audio CSi5, Surrounds-Polk Audio RTi4, Ceilings-Micca M-8C, Sub 1- UM18-22 (4cu.ft DIY) - iNuke 6000DSP, Sub 2-Klipsch RW12D
Projector-BenQ 3550 4K, Screen-110" Silver Ticket STR-169110, TV-Vizio P-65 4K
post #39107 of 64623 Old 01-19-2017, 12:15 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Didn't see a separate troubleshooting thread so I apologize if there is one.

Anyways, this happened last night.

Turned off/on, cycled inputs, no change. Turned off/on again, now fine again. What do I call this even?

I still have a good month on my Costco 90 day return. May return even if it doesn't happen again.

Thanks!

EDIT: P55-C1
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20170118-WA0003.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	1905553  

Last edited by Dirk_P_Ho; 01-19-2017 at 12:22 PM. Reason: spec
post #39108 of 64623 Old 01-19-2017, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rontalley View Post
I've played around with alot of different settings. However, once I get too far down the rabbit trail, I do a factor reset. Switch to Calibrated, do the Backlight level thingy trick to 40, then start all over again however...a WTF?!?! Just happened 10 minutes ago...

Vivid is a hot mess. Over saturated and exaggerated images. Looks great on the Youtube Nature 4K videos but I know better.

I was going through, yet again, more settings during lunch. I turned the contrast up to 60, brightness down to 45, gamma to 2.0 then the backlight up to 65. Stopped the video. Started the video.

Starred at the screen for a minute then BAM! All of a sudden the screen got super bright! Everything just kinda popped out of the screen. I litterally started sweating. Then just as fast as my heart started racing, the image got dark again...

That was enough for me. I've been at this for 3 days now. If it wasn't for this brief miracle of pure UHD goodness, I would have continued to think that I was crazy.

No need for the pics now but I was only going to use the tablet as a reference for relative brightness of something else as the tablet screen is much more brighter than the TV screen. Again, this is with Active LED Zones=on. The screen is plenty bright with it off.
I just finished casting some Vudu content, and stopped casting to my P65. The screen then showed some of those pictures that automatically come up when the set is 'idle', then blamo - the entire image went from normal brightness to suddenly dark, stayed there for a few seconds, and then back to normal. I just sat there and watched for a few minutes, and it did this a few more times. Then it just stopped, with the brightness level having returned back to normal.

I've never seen this before on my P65, not sure if it's due to the 3.0.12.2 firmware?

Only happened on the cast input, never seen it on any hdmi inputs.
post #39109 of 64623 Old 01-19-2017, 12:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1066 Post(s)
Liked: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk_P_Ho View Post

Turned off/on, cycled inputs, no change. Turned off/on again, now fine again. What do I call this even?

I still have a good month on my Costco 90 day return. May return even if it doesn't happen again.

Thanks!

The tv is controlled in two halfs. This issue isn't very common. A few people who have had it happen couldn't get it to revert back to normal and had to have the set replaced. If it doesn't happen again it is probably fine. Hasn't happened on my set more than once though.
post #39110 of 64623 Old 01-19-2017, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortyg83 View Post
The tv is controlled in two halfs. This issue isn't very common. A few people who have had it happen couldn't get it to revert back to normal and had to have the set replaced. If it doesn't happen again it is probably fine. Hasn't happened on my set more than once though.
tyvm, how old is your set?
post #39111 of 64623 Old 01-19-2017, 12:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I just finished casting some Vudu content, and stopped casting to my P65. The screen then showed some of those pictures that automatically come up when the set is 'idle', then blamo - the entire image went from normal brightness to suddenly dark, stayed there for a few seconds, and then back to normal. I just sat there and watched for a few minutes, and it did this a few more times. Then it just stopped, with the brightness level having returned back to normal.

I've never seen this before on my P65, not sure if it's due to the 3.0.12.2 firmware?

Couple things could be happening.
1. If you were watching HDR on Vudu then when switching to just the normal cast screen it does switch picture mode.
2. Do you have auto brightness control turned on? If so turn it off.
3. Otherwise it is likely the crappy backlight issue that has been introduced with the new firmware. Depending on brightness of a certain object they just randomly dim the rest of the screen. It is really bad.
post #39112 of 64623 Old 01-19-2017, 12:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 285
Quote:

Thanks!

I would return that set as fast as I could. I had that same screen, and did what you did turning it off and on. The second time it happened it would not turn on again at all.
post #39113 of 64623 Old 01-19-2017, 12:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
tyvm, how old is your set?
Had it since may.
post #39114 of 64623 Old 01-19-2017, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockaway1836 View Post
I would return that set as fast as I could. I had that same screen, and did what you did turning it off and on. The second time it happened it would not turn on again at all.
Did you stick with vizio or nah?
post #39115 of 64623 Old 01-19-2017, 12:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 285
Quote:
Did you stick with vizio or nah?
Repair man came and changed out the main board and all is well again. Yes, I stuck with the set. It's my 5th Vizio and I have never had a days trouble with any of them before.
post #39116 of 64623 Old 01-19-2017, 12:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked: 431
Quote:

Hopefully it's a firmware issue. I need to go back through my post and see what kind of issues I was having before the firmware update.

The first set did appear to have this darkness issue and an issue playing 4K content. Like the display stayed in 1080p mode. However, using HDMI 1, there wasn't an issue with Darkness but no HDR on XBox One S.
This set seems to play 4K content very well and with the new firmware I was able to get HDR to display from XBox One S but now the screen glitches all the time playing XBox games or watching Netflix. The darkness issue, although different than the first set, is an issue. I believe that it might have been trolling me all alone!

I am going to do one last factory hard reset, with power unplugged and hold power button for 15 seconds. I know that when I first set this TV up I was impressed. It seemed much brighter than it is now.

Don't want to give up too much hope because I need wide angle viewing and this TV seems like the right match at the right price.

Keep Hope Alive!

My Media Room
AVR 1-Yamaha RX-A3050 (7.2.4), AVR 2 Pioneer VSX-815-K(Used for 4ch Amp TF+TR)
Mains-Polk Audio RTi8, Center-Polk Audio CSi5, Surrounds-Polk Audio RTi4, Ceilings-Micca M-8C, Sub 1- UM18-22 (4cu.ft DIY) - iNuke 6000DSP, Sub 2-Klipsch RW12D
Projector-BenQ 3550 4K, Screen-110" Silver Ticket STR-169110, TV-Vizio P-65 4K
post #39117 of 64623 Old 01-19-2017, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortyg83 View Post
Couple things could be happening.
1. If you were watching HDR on Vudu then when switching to just the normal cast screen it does switch picture mode.
2. Do you have auto brightness control turned on? If so turn it off.
3. Otherwise it is likely the crappy backlight issue that has been introduced with the new firmware. Depending on brightness of a certain object they just randomly dim the rest of the screen. It is really bad.
I've used Vudu to cast HDR content frequently for many moons now, first time I've ever had this happen. I know what you mean about the set switching back to an SDR profile, but this was something I'd never seen before.

I don't like what Auto Brightness Control does to the set, so I ensure it is off.
post #39118 of 64623 Old 01-19-2017, 01:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 5040 Post(s)
Liked: 3055
With all the Atmos over ARC issues (under current firmware) with Vudu and this display I wish Vudu would hurry up and get HDR-10 implemented so that we could use other devices to watch Vudu UHD content.

lujan
642 Ultra HD
729 HD
4 SD
post #39119 of 64623 Old 01-19-2017, 01:25 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
After the 3.0.12.2 firmware update is anyone able to use the usb ports to play media files? Mines a nonfunctional
Also is anyone else getting a straight green line of pixels at the very end of the panel?
post #39120 of 64623 Old 01-19-2017, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZatchTheTroll View Post
After the 3.0.12.2 firmware update is anyone able to use the usb ports to play media files? Mines a nonfunctional

Also is anyone else getting a straight green line of pixels at the very end of the panel?

The USB port really isn't meant for playing media. You can, by you have no input options or any control.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
2016/2017 vizio p-series - nice pic(k)! / netflix , best value , D7000 , dolby vision , latest firmware - 6.0.18.1 - previous 5.0.16.1 , Vizio , Vudu

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page