Official Vizio 2016/2017 P Series Owners ONLY Thread UHD/HDR/DV No Price Talk Please - Page 131 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 288472Likes

post #3901 of 63937 Old 04-06-2016, 08:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasfxlt View Post
It doesn't support HDR.
So what's the 4k 10 bit option for? Not being snarky, just curious as I'm interested!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3902 of 63937 Old 04-06-2016, 08:26 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by GardenVariety View Post
I just decided to try and hook up my Darbee 5000S to the cable signal. It does add quite a pleasant increase in detail and perceived contrast to a lower quality signal. It may be worth a try for those of you having issues.
I haven't followed the updates on this device in a while. Have they been able to make it work with ARC? I would love to use it if it could be placed between the Vizio HDMI ARC and my AVR so that I get the Darbee processing on all sources. I remember people were having to switch it around to process cable vs blu ray etc.

Of course I am hoping Oppo releases a HDR-10/Dolby Vision compatible player later this year and I can have everything in one!
post #3903 of 63937 Old 04-06-2016, 08:34 AM

Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 254
None of the BB stores close to me have the P series in stock yet I really want to see this tv up close and personal before I make a purchase.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3904 of 63937 Old 04-06-2016, 08:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowcarboost View Post
I noticed the yellow banding a good amount last night while I was playing Quantum Break on Xbox One. I also see it on commercials with a white background. It basically rears its head with any light background. The fact that it's yellow is what makes it an issue. I'm thinking I'll probably exchange it if I don't just return it to wait for an LG B6 OLED which I can't seem to get out of my head.
Word of advice...go with the OLED...if your fixed on OLED, dude get the B6, you will constantly keep questioning your purchase, if you can go for the E6 (has 3D, and OLED 3D is on another planet for quality compared to todays sets that do 3D). I don't think 3D will last much longer unless OLED becomes mainstream soon which doesn't seem to be the case. The B6 does save you 1k$ though. Anyway back to Vizio.

So far from two people I have seen that the 60hz vs 120hz is more of a preference as if you want the SOE effect or not but it cant be that simple. 60hz will most likely introduce judder where as the 120hz will not. How much judder? Idk, after owning the W600B which was 60hz, wasn't so bad but did leave some room to be desired. aaaaahhhhhhh...wish Vizio did a 55, 60,65,75 screen size this year, keeping the 55" an IPS and the VA panels start at the 60". Oh well, maybe I should just wait for the M series but with half the zones I don't see it being that great compared to the deal of the P series this year. Also for all we know the M series will come as they did last year and start at 120hz native panels with their 60".

Last edited by turts85; 04-06-2016 at 08:37 AM. Reason: grammar
post #3905 of 63937 Old 04-06-2016, 08:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2064 Post(s)
Liked: 2054
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2IRT View Post
So does this mean I cannot use a conventional remote any more? I have an old programmable Logitech 659 that's served me well for 5 years and controls everything the way I want. Is there no way to just use that? Sorry if I'm a bit dense; this is all bleeding-edge to these 54-YO braincells.

Would the "cast" (gawd, I hate that word) 4k signals be any better or worse than a dedicated Roku 4 run through the DVR? I'm guessing that's the only way I'll be able to get Amazon Prime content into the new display.
You can use your logitech remote for everything expect casting. So basically to start casting you will need to use your tablet, IOS device, or android device. Then you can control playback with the other remote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasfxlt View Post
It doesn't support HDR.
Quote:
Originally Posted by buntcake72 View Post
So what's the 4k 10 bit option for? Not being snarky, just curious as I'm interested!
No streaming devices supports HDR; only through casting and the built in TV apps on certain TVs. The 10-bit option is for a wider color gamut.
Chuck666 and thomasfxlt like this.
post #3906 of 63937 Old 04-06-2016, 08:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 725 Post(s)
Liked: 951
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruppa View Post
I haven't followed the updates on this device in a while. Have they been able to make it work with ARC? I would love to use it if it could be placed between the Vizio HDMI ARC and my AVR so that I get the Darbee processing on all sources. I remember people were having to switch it around to process cable vs blu ray etc.

Of course I am hoping Oppo releases a HDR-10/Dolby Vision compatible player later this year and I can have everything in one!
No, ARC won't pass through the Darbee. I use it only on my cable signal.
post #3907 of 63937 Old 04-06-2016, 08:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 725 Post(s)
Liked: 951
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrexelDragon1993 View Post
Alright ya'll convinced me. I am returning the JS8500 today and already ordered the Vizio last night.

Question - I see people using different blu ray players.. I have a Playstation 4, will that do the TV justice or do I need to buy a dedicated player? I dont want the UHD player yet as theres not enough content and its too expensive.. Thoughts?
The PS4 will do just fine. The differences between blu ray players are generally the apps, loading speed and upscaling of DVDs. The blu ray playback is generally the same across the board.
toonj64 likes this.
post #3908 of 63937 Old 04-06-2016, 08:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turts85 View Post
Word of advice...go with the OLED...if your fixed on OLED, dude get the B6, you will constantly keep questioning your purchase, if you can go for the E6 (has 3D, and OLED 3D is on another planet for quality compared to todays sets that do 3D). I don't think 3D will last much longer unless OLED becomes mainstream soon which doesn't seem to be the case. The B6 does save you 1k$ though. Anyway back to Vizio.

So far from two people I have seen that the 60hz vs 120hz is more of a preference as if you want the SOE effect or not but it cant be that simple. 60hz will most likely introduce judder where as the 120hz will not. How much judder? Idk, after owning the W600B which was 60hz, wasn't so bad but did leave some room to be desired. aaaaahhhhhhh...wish Vizio did a 55, 60,65,75 screen size this year, keeping the 55" an IPS and the VA panels start at the 60". Oh well, maybe I should just wait for the M series but with half the zones I don't see it being that great compared to the deal of the P series this year. Also for all we know the M series will come as they did last year and start at 120hz native panels with their 60".
I agree with that advice if price is not an issue. In the $2k range, you will not find an OLED though, unless you want 55". Personally the extra 10" is worth going LCD IMO. The blacks on the vizio are damn good.
toonj64, turts85 and isaurio like this.
post #3909 of 63937 Old 04-06-2016, 08:42 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2IRT View Post
Later today I plan to pull the trigger on a P65-C1. Before I do, I'd like to ask a couple of questions.

I'm a Verizon FiOS subscriber and the vast majority of what I watch will be pre-recorded DVR TV shows with a few movies thrown in from time to time. I'm not a cord-cutter and I have no idea what "casting" is all about. I also have my movie collection ripped to .mkv files on a Kodi HTPC, and I will probably be buying a Roku 4 at some point for Amzaon Prime and Netflix 4K content. Mabye a 4k BR-D when they come down in price and there's a lot of content available. That's it. No games, only sports viewing is a few NFL and NHL games.

As a result, upscaling is my biggest concern since TV shows will be my main viewing pattern, and rtings ratings for the 2015 model seemed to indicate it that model was particularly bad. Does anybody have a conclusive answer to the upscaling situation on the P65-C1 (2016 model)? If it's not great, is there a box that does impressive upscaling that I should be going with? I will also be replacing my AVR with a view to getting something under $500.

Thanks in advance.
If you have Kodi not sure why you still paying for cable! ^_^

People having issue with the Upscaling with FIOS tv services say it dont do great job. But question is how good you want the tv or any upscaler to fix the garbage compress signal of cable
Is up to you for the $$ of the TV what it could do. Upscale is anther fancy way of saying stretch out. Is so much you could do to fix/stretch a crap signal.

The P does a great job on native 1080P to 4K. So TV\display is not a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSonntag View Post
Is anybody keeping track of the f/w updates that Vizio is sending to both the display and the tablet? It would be nice to know what each update has fixed
Just chat with Vizio, they dont provide or have such bug fix information at their end or website. I open a case so engineering could provide us with some type of information about what issues the firmware/patch addresses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrexelDragon1993 View Post
Alright ya'll convinced me. I am returning the JS8500 today and already ordered the Vizio last night.

Question - I see people using different blu ray players.. I have a Playstation 4, will that do the TV justice or do I need to buy a dedicated player? I dont want the UHD player yet as theres not enough content and its too expensive.. Thoughts?
Ps4 should be sufficient for BR movies. There is no UHD Blu-ray player support without HDMI 2.0a, Vizio will be releasing firmware around June to open up capability for UHD players.

I think i will wait until Sony release the new PS4.5 or ps4 4K in November. This should be compatible with all new tech like HDR10, UHD, or even DV. To early to conclude. Can't wait.
toonj64 likes this.

Last edited by isaurio; 04-06-2016 at 08:51 AM.
post #3910 of 63937 Old 04-06-2016, 08:44 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytex View Post
Are there UHD Blu-Ray disks? Do I need a new player to play them?
Yes and yes. The Samsung K8500 is the only player out so far that I know of. Panasonic, Philips, and I'm sure a few others have models coming out soon. Even though HDR10 is the HDR format used by all UHD Blu-Rays so far, I am personally waiting until they support Dolby Vision (and come down in price a bit). Some people have said the Philips (Model # BDP7501) will support DV, but I haven't seen confirmation on that as of yet.

"This HDMI cable gives you better reds; that's why the box is red." - Things you hear at Best Buy
Twitter: @timmyduerler
Xbox Live: JoinTheBattle

Vizio P50-C1
post #3911 of 63937 Old 04-06-2016, 08:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven Crimson View Post
You don't see the horrible flashlighting on the X850C image? That means your display has brightness turned way too low.
Well someone must be used to clouding lol...the clouding on the x850c isn't even the worst part, the edge bleed isn't noticeable here but when you get the edge lit issues plus that clouding we see here, it drives you insane. Makes you wonder if anyone at Sony actually bought one themselves, cause I certainly wouldn't. Originally that Sony is 200$ more than the P50 Vizio, and right now the x850c is still 100$ more, this becomes a no brainer, except the x850c is 120hz native, which doesn't seem to be a huge deal for most but I'm still grinding over whether I can live with a 60hz panel without that itch for 120hz. Oh Pioneer Plasma how I love your perfect 72hz format lol
post #3912 of 63937 Old 04-06-2016, 08:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattopotamus View Post
I agree with that advice if price is not an issue. In the $2k range, you will not find an OLED though, unless you want 55". Personally the extra 10" is worth going LCD IMO. The blacks on the vizio are damn good.
+1

You can find an OLED for just under 2k$ with Chris at CP BUT its the 1080p OLED and only 55" plus its curved. So if you do not are about 4K, DV, or HDR then grab the 1080p OLED, but I agree for 2k your not finding any better bang for your buck than the P65.
toonj64 likes this.
post #3913 of 63937 Old 04-06-2016, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turts85 View Post
+1

You can find an OLED for just under 2k$ with Chris at CP BUT its the 1080p OLED and only 55" plus its curved. So if you do not are about 4K, DV, or HDR then grab the 1080p OLED, but I agree for 2k your not finding any better bang for your buck than the P65.
Everyone could agree OLED is in another world of tech. But for the $$ to screen size ratio for a tech that still on its own beta time is a bit stretching the pockets. For rich people by all means get the best. But this P series just put the balls on the wall on FALD LCD with the black levels, and for the $$$ is a no brainier to go and test it out.

Also i feel sorry for those who paid 5-8K for their LG XXEG9600, they reported that they can't open up or release a firmware to update the HDMI to 2.0a to support external UHD players. This blows because they are force to stream the content to get some HDR10 butter. No good for the amount of $$$$$$
Schwa, toonj64, Ninhalem and 1 others like this.
post #3914 of 63937 Old 04-06-2016, 09:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaurio View Post
Everyone could agree OLED is in another world of tech. But for the $$ to screen size ratio for a tech that still on its own beta time is a bit stretching the pockets. For rich people by all means get the best. But this P series just put the balls on the wall on FALD LCD with the black levels, and for the $$$ is a no brainier to go and test it out.

Also i feel sorry for those who paid 5-8K for their LG XXEG9600, they reported that they can't open up or release a firmware to update the HDMI to 2.0a to support external UHD players. This blows because they are force to stream the content to get some HDR10 butter. No good for the amount of $$$$$$
And HDR10 streaming is only offered by Amazon. The others streaming HDR are using DV (netflix and vudu).
toonj64 and isaurio like this.
post #3915 of 63937 Old 04-06-2016, 09:09 AM

Quote:
And HDR10 streaming is only offered by Amazon. The others streaming HDR are using DV (netflix and vudu).
Good point double facepalm
toonj64 likes this.
post #3916 of 63937 Old 04-06-2016, 09:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by buntcake72 View Post
The Roku 4 does. You can set it to 4k 10bit in the Display settings.
4k, but not HDR

Take responsibility for your own actions...society is not here to look after you...
In other words, if you order coffee, expect it to be hot for christsake!
post #3917 of 63937 Old 04-06-2016, 09:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2204 Post(s)
Liked: 2705
Quote:

No streaming devices supports HDR; only through casting and the built in TV apps on certain TVs. The 10-bit option is for a wider color gamut.
Yet...the K8500 UHD BD player is supposed to get app updates this month for Amazon and Netflix at least to enable HDR. Of course with the P series you will then have to wait on the HDR update for the set. In any case, the K8500 will likely support HDR streaming well before the P series is ready for it. Now of course you need to be willing to deal with the current "warts" associated with the K8500 (it is not without it's bugs currently)...but again, most of those issues will likely be worked out before the P series is HDR ready.

-Jeff-
Man cave: Sony XBR75Z9D, Marantz SR8012, and OPPO UDP-203
Living room: Sony XBR75X950G, Denon x4500, and Sony UBP-X800M2
post #3918 of 63937 Old 04-06-2016, 09:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2204 Post(s)
Liked: 2705
Quote:
Netflix is supposed to be dual streaming possibly by the end of the month (DV and HDR10). I could be wrong, but I thought VUDU was also supposed to dual stream at some point as well.

-Jeff-
Man cave: Sony XBR75Z9D, Marantz SR8012, and OPPO UDP-203
Living room: Sony XBR75X950G, Denon x4500, and Sony UBP-X800M2
post #3919 of 63937 Old 04-06-2016, 09:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I'm not familiar with the non-Apple devices. Is there a way to have the tablet at least light up when I take it off the dock. When I unplug my iPhone or iPad it lights up even though I still have to do the fingerprint part. With the tablet I take it off the dock and have to push the top butting to light it up and then do the swipe up thing.

And BTW I've got Fios with an older HD box (Motorola QIP-6200) and I'm using my Marantz 7702mkii to up convert to [email protected] and stuff looks really good. The 60Hz is noticeably better than [email protected] thru the Marantz.

Quote:
don't insult my intelligents

Last edited by fsrenduro; 04-06-2016 at 09:38 AM.
post #3920 of 63937 Old 04-06-2016, 09:25 AM

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillietalls View Post
Any owner get The Force Awakens blu ray? If so, how does it look? I bet incredible. It looks great on my 75 850c....
I have it, but only had time last night to watch a few minutes.
what i did see looked awesome on my P75.
post #3921 of 63937 Old 04-06-2016, 09:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 65
@isaurio

Earlier you said, "If you have Kodi; why do you have cable?"......... In my case, I watch a lot of Discovery channel shows?

You have to subscribe with some provider to get those?

Samsung UN82MU8000 4K UHD TV | Onkyo TX NR787 9.2 AVR with Klipsch R-15M L&R and R-34C front stage speakers | Klipsch G-12 surrounds | 2 Atrium 5 Front Tops | 2 Klipsch R-14SA Rear heights | Dual BIC RtR EV-1200 Subs | 5.1.4 Atmos system | Samsung UBD M9500 BD Player | FireTV 4K | Logitech Harmony 750 | TIVO BOLT OTA 849000
post #3922 of 63937 Old 04-06-2016, 09:32 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 6279 Post(s)
Liked: 5920
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck666 View Post
@isaurio

Earlier you said, "If you have Kodi; why do you have cable?"......... In my case, I watch a lot of Discovery channel shows?

He's referring to illegal streams. Word of caution, I would end public discussion of this here
Chuck666, ToddD, Spine Guy and 4 others like this.
post #3923 of 63937 Old 04-06-2016, 09:32 AM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 53
So for my Pioneer VSX-90 Receiver, would you recommend setting the receiver Video output to AUTO or PURE? I have it on PURE currently which (I know, I'm a noob) would make the TV upscale the content not the receiver correct?

And Vizio is sending me a replacement set due to their thinking it's a hardware issue that is not allowing CEC and the ARC on the TV to talk to each other. Also getting some small yellow vertical banding on grey or white scenes (The Force Awakens is a good showcase for that during the Starkiller base sequences).
post #3924 of 63937 Old 04-06-2016, 09:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
He's referring to illegal streams. Word of caution, I would end public discussion of this here
shh, don't tell him he is using Kodi wrong :P
toonj64 likes this.
post #3925 of 63937 Old 04-06-2016, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck666 View Post
@isaurio

Just like you I love discovery channel. check out Exodus. On tv shows it has list of networks, in there you could find discovery channel their you find a ton of shows by season and ep. I love it. Author is always updating the shows and adding more. I never miss a ep. If you dont have exodus let me know so i could guide you to a tutorial on how to get the addOn
post #3926 of 63937 Old 04-06-2016, 09:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemoon737 View Post
Yet...the K8500 UHD BD player is supposed to get app updates this month for Amazon and Netflix at least to enable HDR. Of course with the P series you will then have to wait on the HDR update for the set. In any case, the K8500 will likely support HDR streaming well before the P series is ready for it. Now of course you need to be willing to deal with the current "warts" associated with the K8500 (it is not without it's bugs currently)...but again, most of those issues will likely be worked out before the P series is HDR ready.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemoon737 View Post
Netflix is supposed to be dual streaming possibly by the end of the month (DV and HDR10). I could be wrong, but I thought VUDU was also supposed to dual stream at some point as well.
I guess that is what it boils down too, when the samsung player will be updated and when will Vudu and netflix add HDR10.

Question:
Is DV similar to HEVC in that the media player could decode the DV and send it to the TV, or would the TV also need to support DV? If the latter, very few TVs have DV, and it is hardware not software. That basically screws a lot of people who bought HDR TVs in 2015 since none of them can ever play DV content (unless HDR10 is also added to the disc/stream).
toonj64 likes this.
post #3927 of 63937 Old 04-06-2016, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
LMAO. quiet.
post #3928 of 63937 Old 04-06-2016, 09:41 AM

Quote:
I guess that is what it boils down too, when the samsung player will be updated and when will Vudu and netflix add HDR10.

Question:
Is DV similar to HEVC in that the media player could decode the DV and send it to the TV, or would the TV also need to support DV? If the latter, very few TVs have DV, and it is hardware not software. That basically screws a lot of people who bought HDR TVs in 2015 since none of them can ever play DV content (unless HDR10 is also added to the disc/stream).
Check page 10

http://www.dolby.com/us/en/technolog...hite-paper.pdf

TV needs the hardware/chip to get Metadata from DV source.
post #3929 of 63937 Old 04-06-2016, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 118 Post(s)
Quoted: 3292 Post(s)
Liked: 6117
Quote:

Question:

I believe DV is chip based.
Ph8te, bluemoon737 and toonj64 like this.

SONY Z9F LCD Master Series Owners Thread
Vizio 2016 P series FAQ, general info and Help
Sony Z9F 75, Vizio P75C1 UHD/HDR/DV, Pioneer Elite SC-95, Samsung UHD Bluray K8500, AppleTV 4K, CC Ultra
post #3930 of 63937 Old 04-06-2016, 09:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by isaurio View Post
Just like you I love discovery channel. check out Exodus. On tv shows it has list of networks, in there you could find discovery channel their you find a ton of shows by season and ep. I love it. Author is always updating the shows and adding more. I never miss a ep. If you dont have exodus let me know so i could guide you to a tutorial on how to get the addOn
No thank you
Ph8te and bargervais like this.

Samsung UN82MU8000 4K UHD TV | Onkyo TX NR787 9.2 AVR with Klipsch R-15M L&R and R-34C front stage speakers | Klipsch G-12 surrounds | 2 Atrium 5 Front Tops | 2 Klipsch R-14SA Rear heights | Dual BIC RtR EV-1200 Subs | 5.1.4 Atmos system | Samsung UBD M9500 BD Player | FireTV 4K | Logitech Harmony 750 | TIVO BOLT OTA 849000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
2016/2017 vizio p-series - nice pic(k)! / netflix , best value , D7000 , dolby vision , latest firmware - 6.0.18.1 - previous 5.0.16.1 , Vizio , Vudu

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page