Official Vizio 2016/2017 P Series Owners ONLY Thread UHD/HDR/DV No Price Talk Please - Page 1352 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 288502Likes

post #40531 of 64109 Old 02-07-2017, 08:06 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 474 Post(s)
Liked: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by godfatherip View Post
After doing some more casting the audio drop outs returned even with HDMI subsampling turned off, so apparently that wasn't the cause. I hadn't tested it extensively before, just ran a few test clips and thought it was good to go. I got some BJC Series-FE HDMI cables as well and that did not solve the problem either. It is very frustrating. ARC audio works for everything except casting so it seems to be something wrong with the TV's built in casting. Does anyone have ARC working when casting with a Denon AVR?

It's obviously your denon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #40532 of 64109 Old 02-07-2017, 08:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Does YouTube not cast HDR? I've tried a bunch of videos that are supposedly HDR and not getting it. Could it be they are in 60p? Anyway to check?
post #40533 of 64109 Old 02-07-2017, 08:15 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Dymek View Post
Does YouTube not cast HDR? I've tried a bunch of videos that are supposedly HDR and not getting it. Could it be they are in 60p? Anyway to check?
The P series can only display Dolby Vision HDR when casting at this time, if YouTube is streaming in HDR10 or any other format the P series will only display the video in SDR.
reallynotnick and Riekopo like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #40534 of 64109 Old 02-07-2017, 08:25 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by razrsharp View Post
So for those that could have chose the Samsung KS8000 for a similar (or lower) price than the P-series, if you could go back in time which one would you stick with?

I still have plenty window to return my P65 and get a KS8000 for $200 lower, for the first time in Canada. Although I'm generally happy with the P (less the odd glitches and banding), part of my initial decision was that the 8000 was at minimum $400 MORE than the P-series (only on BF) and generally about $600 more.
Even though I'd just bought a nice 2015 M60 last March, I had upgradeitis and wanted HDR, so that meant KS8000 or P65 at Big Game sale prices around $1500 - $1480 and $1550, respectively at Costco. (OLED is for when I win the lottery.)

Earlier in this thread, last Wednesday (it is now Tuesday), I was explaining to someone about how buying a smaller TV, but shortening the distance between it and your viewing position would make it perceptually the same size and it occurred to me that since moving a 55" set only FOUR INCHES closer would make it appear as large as the 60" I could move down to the $1000 price range where the KS8000 was - P55 wasn't an option due to the IPS panel - and I'd also be able to take it home in my car and set it up myself, unlike the beastly P65 box would require.

I brought it home and looked at some YouTube HDR videos and thought the colors were bright and punchy and was congratulating myself on saving a bundle.

Then the next night I watched Gravity.

Due to the inherent limitations of edge-lighting, everything that I'd feared about potential compromises erupted. I knew that flashlighting, blooming, weak blacks were going to be an issue, but short of dialing back the backlight to a point where everything looked blah, I realized that for MY use case, this wasn't going to work. If I watched fullscreen TV or 1.85:1 movie content, perhaps I could've dealt; but looking at movies with letterbox bars was the deal-breaker.

I was texting a buddy Friday morning about how that 2nd night had raised some flags and told him I was 55-45 about taking it back. By lunchtime I was committed to switching. Pinged another buddy to borrow his work van and went to Costco at lunch to buy it. Picked it up after work and after shuffling the sets around, I fired up the P65 and went to look at the LG OLED store demos - Chess and the Jazz Club ones are good - on YouTube and immediately thought how I'd spent almost $600 more for this TV and how it was....

So worth it. No regrets at all.

Further use has revealed some weird little glitches that I hope firmware updates will iron out, but my task now is to box up the KS800D and take it back and probably get the stink eye as if I just borrowed it for a Super Bowl party. Whatever.

TL;DR: Bought a KS8000, looked at it and went and spent 60% more for a P65 because #BlackLevelsMatter.

PimpVision® Quantum: Vizio PQ65-F1 | Denon AVR-X4400H | Def Tech ProCinema 600 + ProCenter 1000 + Monoprice Caliber #4104 (Atmos) + Monolith 10" THX Select (5.1.4) | Nvidia SHIELD (2015) | Apple TV 4K | Sony UBP-X800 | XBOX Project Scorpio | Xbox 360 | PS4 Pro | PS3 | Toshiba HD-A30 | Chromecast Ultra | Harmony 650 | Monoprice 8-Port gigabit switch
My DVD Profiler List | DirkFlix: My Movie Viewing Diary and Reviews
post #40535 of 64109 Old 02-07-2017, 08:25 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 114
P75 arrived via Portland Air Freight late morning. Since it had been stored at temperatures well below freezing for an extended period, I didn't do anything other than power it up long enough to see the Vizio logo, then let it sit for a few hours.

Then I spent a frustrating evening setting it up. I flubbed a step in pairing the tablet that sent me down a rabbit hole for a while, but I restarted the process and things seemed to complete properly the 2nd time.

Watched a couple of shorts in HD and 4K. Great picture, good sound for built-in speakers (7.1 setup is still uncabled, but I'm getting there). Shut it off for a bit to get some work done, and when I got back to it and powered it on, received the "Network connection lost" banner.

The only apparent option was to re-pair and repeat setup using the tablet. Did so and was connected and able to cast again.

Until I powered it off and back on again, that is ...

The next few hours, have of which I spent in chat with Vizio, were spent factory resetting, re-pairing, trying different wifi bands, examining system information in the smartcast app, attempting to cast, but the problem simply would not go away. Got to the point where Vizio was preparing to ship me a new unit.

Up to this point, I'd tried 2 different factory reset methods. The first involved unplugging the TV, then holding down the power button on the back of the panel for 15-30 seconds. The 2nd involved holding down the bottom 2 buttons on the back until the "reset" prompt appeared on the display. You then hold the bottom button down for 5 seconds to initiate the reset.

Neither had the hoped-for effect of getting rid of the connection lost error after a power cycle.

Interestingly neither reset cleared the name I had provided when I set up the TV, so they didn't seem like a full factory reset. So I tried a 3rd method, which is initiated through the Smartcast app and is found in the System menu.

Not only did that reset the tv's name, but it appears to have resolved the connection lost issue. I should note that I did make one other change, though, to my router: I modified the DNS entries supplied by DHCP to point to Google's DNS servers, 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.

Since performing the app-based reset and updating those DNS entries, the power cycle connection lost issue has not reoccurred.

I'm cautiously optimistic ...
DaverJ, shoman94 and stikle like this.
post #40536 of 64109 Old 02-07-2017, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwishart View Post
The P series can only display Dolby Vision HDR when casting at this time, if YouTube is streaming in HDR10 or any other format the P series will only display the video in SDR.
YouTube said it's using PQ isn't that Dolby vision? Either way I'll be getting a Roku tomorrow.

So far I'm liking the TV tablet takes some getting used to.
post #40537 of 64109 Old 02-07-2017, 08:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1084 Post(s)
Liked: 2072
Quote:
YouTube said it's using PQ isn't that Dolby vision? Either way I'll be getting a Roku tomorrow.

PQ is the curve that Dolby Vision and HDR10 are based on. But YT only uses HDR10-style static metadata. That is one reason the P can't cast it. The other reason is the codec. The P can only decode 8 bit VP9. YT HDR requires 10 bit VP9 Profile 2.

A Roku cannot do YT HDR either. The only external device that does it right now is the Chromecast Ultra.
reallynotnick likes this.
post #40538 of 64109 Old 02-07-2017, 08:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwishart View Post
As I discovered last week when I tried a KS8000, the only devices that can display YouTube HDR are the Chromecast Ultra and the app in 2016 Samsung HDR TVs (and perhaps LG OLEDs - don't quote me on that). They said the SmartCast TVs and even the mighty Nvidia SHIELD will NEVER have YT HDR because they lack a hardware component that VP9-Profile 2 requires. It boggles my mind that El Goog, who seeks to control the Internet via standards, would use a method that requires hardware and thus shuts nearly everyone out from access.

PimpVision® Quantum: Vizio PQ65-F1 | Denon AVR-X4400H | Def Tech ProCinema 600 + ProCenter 1000 + Monoprice Caliber #4104 (Atmos) + Monolith 10" THX Select (5.1.4) | Nvidia SHIELD (2015) | Apple TV 4K | Sony UBP-X800 | XBOX Project Scorpio | Xbox 360 | PS4 Pro | PS3 | Toshiba HD-A30 | Chromecast Ultra | Harmony 650 | Monoprice 8-Port gigabit switch
post #40539 of 64109 Old 02-07-2017, 08:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I'm pretty sure that YouTube is using a 10 bit version of VP9, the P series cannot decode this so you will need an external device.
post #40540 of 64109 Old 02-07-2017, 08:45 PM

I see. Well forget that then. been watching Marco Polo horrible show beautiful visuals.
post #40541 of 64109 Old 02-07-2017, 09:01 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
So for those that could have chose the Samsung KS8000 for a similar (or lower) price than the P-series, if you could go back in time which one would you stick with?

I still have plenty window to return my P65 and get a KS8000 for $200 lower, for the first time in Canada. Although I'm generally happy with the P (less the odd glitches and banding), part of my initial decision was that the 8000 was at minimum $400 MORE than the P-series (only on BF) and generally about $600 more.
About three months ago I had purchased a P65, then I thought I'd return it and give the KS8000 a shot, and now I'm back with the P65.

After owning a P and KS8000 I will never buy an edge-lit as long as I live. Vizio has some flaws and Sammy's have a nice picture but damn, the edge-lit just completely ruined the KS for me.
DaverJ likes this.
post #40542 of 64109 Old 02-07-2017, 09:25 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by godfatherip View Post
After doing some more casting the audio drop outs returned even with HDMI subsampling turned off, so apparently that wasn't the cause. I hadn't tested it extensively before, just ran a few test clips and thought it was good to go. I got some BJC Series-FE HDMI cables as well and that did not solve the problem either. It is very frustrating. ARC audio works for everything except casting so it seems to be something wrong with the TV's built in casting. Does anyone have ARC working when casting with a Denon AVR?
I have 0 issues with ARC dropout or HDR passthrough on my X2200W

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
reallynotnick and Bevmo like this.
post #40543 of 64109 Old 02-07-2017, 10:17 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Is there a way to only allow my smartphone to cast to my P-50? Family members are casting to my TV and interrupting what I'm watching. I've looked through the settings but haven't found anything to do that. Is there an app to do that?
post #40544 of 64109 Old 02-07-2017, 10:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynnam View Post
Is there a way to only allow my smartphone to cast to my P-50? Family members are casting to my TV and interrupting what I'm watching. I've looked through the settings but haven't found anything to do that. Is there an app to do that?
If your router is capable of setting up a VPN that only allows specific MAC addresses you can restrict the P-50 and your smartphone to the VPN, this way your phone and the P-50 will still have access to the internet but your phone will be the only device capable of talking to the P-50.
inPicton and ebanu2003 like this.
post #40545 of 64109 Old 02-07-2017, 11:40 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Will not play HEVC files...

I've been diagnosing this for 3 days now... I can not for the life of me get HEVC directplay to work. I am running plexmediaserver 1.3.4.3285 on FreeNAS 9.10.3. I did a pkg install into a jail, not the plugin install. My client is an android device set to original quality. My TV is the 2016 VIZIO P50-C1 on firmware 3.0.13.5

I changed the Chromecast.xml file under the following directory, which I know is correct because if I delete it I get an error when I try to cast anything:
/usr/local/share/plexmediaserver/Resources/Profiles/

I changed it to a profile recommended here and elsewhere. After changing the xml file, I "service plexmediaserver restart" and try to cast a 1080p, HEVC, 8-bit depth, 420 chroma, and stereo OPUS in a MKV container. Should be an easy task, right?

I hit the cast button, select play, everything seems to start, but the video never plays. My android client will go to 9 seconds, then reset to 0. My TV shows the lower video splash, but never progresses beyond 0. My Plex Media Server Status/Now Playing shows "Video Direct Stream / Audio Transcoding OPUS to AAC" as it should.

I took it a step further and installed plex on my windows machine. Changed the XML, the exact behavior is replicated.

Is my TV broken?
post #40546 of 64109 Old 02-08-2017, 12:09 AM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Panel lottery worked out for me. I'm very satisfied with the uniformity on the new panel.

Here's before and after
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20161228_075601 (1).jpg
Views:	290
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	1951793   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170207_231551.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	1951801  
post #40547 of 64109 Old 02-08-2017, 12:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seth586 View Post
I've been diagnosing this for 3 days now... I can not for the life of me get HEVC directplay to work. I am running plexmediaserver 1.3.4.3285 on FreeNAS 9.10.3. I did a pkg install into a jail, not the plugin install. My client is an android device set to original quality. My TV is the 2016 VIZIO P50-C1 on firmware 3.0.13.5

I changed the Chromecast.xml file under the following directory, which I know is correct because if I delete it I get an error when I try to cast anything:

I changed it to a profile recommended here and elsewhere. After changing the xml file, I "service plexmediaserver restart" and try to cast a 1080p, HEVC, 8-bit depth, 420 chroma, and stereo OPUS in a MKV container. Should be an easy task, right?

I hit the cast button, select play, everything seems to start, but the video never plays. My android client will go to 9 seconds, then reset to 0. My TV shows the lower video splash, but never progresses beyond 0. My Plex Media Server Status/Now Playing shows "Video Direct Stream / Audio Transcoding OPUS to AAC" as it should.

I took it a step further and installed plex on my windows machine. Changed the XML, the exact behavior is replicated.

Is my TV broken?
Try asking in this thread:

*Official* 2016+ Vizio Streaming Thread (SD, HD, UHD4K, mkv's mp4's
post #40548 of 64109 Old 02-08-2017, 02:47 AM

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew_B View Post
Panel lottery worked out for me. I'm very satisfied with the uniformity on the new panel.

Here's before and after
Pardon my ignorance, but before and after what?
post #40549 of 64109 Old 02-08-2017, 04:32 AM

Quote:

Sounds like you need to lay the smackdown on your family or friends

shoman94, CleCakYngMfd and blatz8 like this.
post #40550 of 64109 Old 02-08-2017, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seth586 View Post

Is my TV broken?

I'm pretty sure Plex doesnt support what you're trying to do go to their page and see what playback is supported. Why try to do hvec at 1080p?

post #40551 of 64109 Old 02-08-2017, 04:42 AM

ive read a lot on this thread people saying not to buy the 55 inch or they would stay away from it due to the ips panel. well i purchased the 55 inch and i have to say im in love with the picture quality. i haven't done extensive black level testing but ill wait to do that once i get a 4k blu-ray player.

just my two cents.
post #40552 of 64109 Old 02-08-2017, 05:27 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:

I owned the 65KS8000 and returned it due to the ARC not working, the back panel separating from the front, not able to control my receiver with the TV remote after "learning" it multiple times, and random restarts. Samsung had no answer for my issues so it went back to Worst Buy.

I was really pulling for the KS8000 cause I love Samsung, but they fumbled worse than the Atlanta Falcons.

I have not tried a Vizio, but seriously thinking about trying the P65-C1.

Hope this helps.
post #40553 of 64109 Old 02-08-2017, 05:30 AM

Quote:
There sure is. It's called taking control of yo ish. Do you pay for their devices? Hmmmm
post #40554 of 64109 Old 02-08-2017, 05:53 AM

Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkBelig View Post
As I discovered last week when I tried a KS8000, the only devices that can display YouTube HDR are the Chromecast Ultra and the app in 2016 Samsung HDR TVs (and perhaps LG OLEDs - don't quote me on that). They said the SmartCast TVs and even the mighty Nvidia SHIELD will NEVER have YT HDR because they lack a hardware component that VP9-Profile 2 requires. It boggles my mind that El Goog, who seeks to control the Internet via standards, would use a method that requires hardware and thus shuts nearly everyone out from access.
Google services start out like this. When the Nexus 6P came out, if had Google Now launcher and voice commands (very limited compared to today's Voice commands). After limited testing of the service on Nexus 5x and 6P devices sold. Google opened the service up by releasing the Google Now launcher in the play store. An app that will soon be removed from the play store. Hopefully in perpetration to release a Pixel Launcher that opens up Google Assistant to more Android devices.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is. Google test new services on hardware it has designed. Then after it works out the bugs (on its hardware), it opens the platform for other device vendors. 😊

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Vizio 2016 P series FAQ, general info and Help

Vizio P65-C1
Denon AVR-X1100w
LG BD570
post #40555 of 64109 Old 02-08-2017, 06:07 AM

Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Quote:
I see. Well forget that then. been watching Marco Polo horrible show beautiful visuals.
You can watch "The Do-Over" True it's an Adam Sandler movie but, it is a more grown up style of his comedy.

Vizio 2016 P series FAQ, general info and Help

Vizio P65-C1
Denon AVR-X1100w
LG BD570
post #40556 of 64109 Old 02-08-2017, 06:46 AM

Should I get a P65-C1?

Hi all,

I am looking at getting the P65-C1 after trying the LG 60UH7650, LG 65UH6150, Sammy 65KS8000, Sony XBR65-850D, and the LG 70UH6350. Each of the previous TV's have light bleeding or horizontal columns whenever a white image displayed on a dark screen. I can't see myself paying $1000-2000 for something that I'm not 100% satisfied with.

Do you think the Full Array Vizio would look better with less "bleeding"? There is one at Best Buy "open box" for ~$1500. I'm really itching to try this out as I have not tried a Vizio yet. If it's a keeper, I would purchase a warranty through Squaretrade as I previously was unaware I could do so without actually buying the TV from Sam's or Costco.

I don't do cable as I have access to most apps that require a login. My favorite apps are Amazon, Netflix, NBC Sports Extra, Fox Sports Go, and Watch ESPN. I have an antennae that I use for watching local and national unfiltered content, and I do not mind purchasing an OTA coax to HDMI dvr box. I also have a PS4 Pro and Amazon Instant Video is installed so I assume it will work? Thanks

Should I pull the trigger?

Also, anyone try KODI on this TV yet?
post #40557 of 64109 Old 02-08-2017, 07:09 AM
Advanced Member

Is my panel OK or did I lose the panel lottery? Haven't noticed any anomalies in normal view and not sure if the variations in banding are the camera being weird or a panel issue. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Uniformity.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	1952121   Click image for larger version

Name:	10 percent.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	165.8 KB
ID:	1952129   Click image for larger version

Name:	50 percent.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	1952137   Click image for larger version

Name:	90 percent.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	1952145  

post #40558 of 64109 Old 02-08-2017, 07:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2104 Post(s)
Liked: 2118
Quote:
Originally Posted by BShmal View Post
About three months ago I had purchased a P65, then I thought I'd return it and give the KS8000 a shot, and now I'm back with the P65.

After owning a P and KS8000 I will never buy an edge-lit as long as I live. Vizio has some flaws and Sammy's have a nice picture but damn, the edge-lit just completely ruined the KS for me.
I also have the P-65 and purchased a ks8000 for the living room. It didn't last a week. Never again will I do Edge-lit, and probably nothing other than OLED going forward since prices have come down to Earth.
DaverJ, razrsharp and blatz8 like this.
post #40559 of 64109 Old 02-08-2017, 07:22 AM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge DeBoulet View Post
Pardon my ignorance, but before and after what?
Vizio sent me a replacement after I showed them the before picture. The after picture is the new display, which has much better uniformity.

It seems like Vizio might have finally solved the yellow banding problem.

I played the panel lottery and won this time.
post #40560 of 64109 Old 02-08-2017, 07:54 AM

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkBelig View Post
Look for the exclusive Google-TV, coming soon...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
2016/2017 vizio p-series - nice pic(k)! / netflix , best value , D7000 , dolby vision , latest firmware - 6.0.18.1 - previous 5.0.16.1 , Vizio , Vudu

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page