Official Vizio 2016/2017 P Series Owners ONLY Thread UHD/HDR/DV No Price Talk Please - Page 1382 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 288562Likes

post #41431 of 64337 Old 02-27-2017, 06:15 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoman94 View Post
I think you're unclear about the whole thing...lol
For not being a member they charger a small fee. I think it was about 5 bucks.... So 95 instead of 90 for the warranty.

...sent from my Axon7 using Tapatalk
It's not like Costco is going out of their way to point out that you can buy a warranty if you're not a member. On the rest, I'm reading clearly conflicting information so I'm trying to sort out how it all fits together. For nearly 4 grand I don't feel too bad about trying to get accurate information haha

Edit: Turns out my wife wants a costco membership, so I won't need to find out.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Last edited by shortspecialbus; 02-27-2017 at 06:38 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #41432 of 64337 Old 02-27-2017, 06:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1828 Post(s)
Liked: 1170
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToxiCRabbit View Post
Thank you all, for the feedback. It is really appreciated. I went with a 5.1/soundbar system because I did not want to spend a big amount of money on an AVR (supporting both 4K and HDR) and also because it is sufficient to me compare to the TV speakers.

Using the Optical from the Xbox One S to the soundbar did the trick and I was able to switch the audio to DTS. The TV is reporting Stereo but since I am no longer passing audio via HDMI on the Xbox One S, I am guessing this is expected.

Thanks again!
The P series can pass 5.1 DD and DTS via its optical connection if you want to use it.
post #41433 of 64337 Old 02-27-2017, 06:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortspecialbus View Post
It's not like Costco is going out of their way to point out that you can buy a warranty if you're not a member. On the rest, I'm reading clearly conflicting information so I'm trying to sort out how it all fits together. For nearly 4 grand I don't feel too bad about trying to get accurate information haha

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Yes, I am a Costco member and I bought my P65 from the only authorized local dealer at the time (BB) and bought a Square Trade warranty from Costco online without any problems. What one is doing is buying a Square Trade warranty at a Costco discounted price. You can also buy Square Trade warranties on Amazon. I believe you said you were buying an "open box" aka returned P series from BB. You might want to call Square Trade to see if they will cover open box purchases. Good Luck.

Edit: Maybe it was someone else talking about "open box" and Square Trade. I forget
Oldways7 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #41434 of 64337 Old 02-27-2017, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naustin View Post
Yes, I am a Costco member and I bought my P65 from the only authorized local dealer at the time (BB) and bought a Square Trade warranty from Costco online without any problems. What one is doing is buying a Square Trade warranty at a Costco discounted price. You can also buy Square Trade warranties on Amazon. I believe you said you were buying an "open box" aka returned P series from BB. You might want to call Square Trade to see if they will cover open box purchases. Good Luck.
Nope, new-in-box direct from Vizio.
post #41435 of 64337 Old 02-27-2017, 06:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortspecialbus View Post
Nope, new-in-box direct from Vizio.
After I typed my answer I realized a couple of folks were talking about the Square Trade issue. Plus 4K ain't no open box.
shortspecialbus likes this.
post #41436 of 64337 Old 02-27-2017, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naustin View Post
After I typed my answer I realized a could of folks were talking about the Square Trade issue. Plus 4K ain't no open box.
Haha, yeah - that's a risk I'm not really willing to take unless they throw in a standard Geek Squad Protection deal where they come all the way out to my house with a new TV if it's messed up at all.

Ended up ordering from Vizio because I had a decent coupon and they were the only reputable retailer that would do free delivery out to my house since I'm mileage-wise too far from a BB for the free local delivery, and for whatever reason they disallow ship-to-store-for-pickup in Madison for this TV. It's stupid because time-wise I'm considerably closer than most of the city, but apparently they assume 55mph roads are the same 15-20mph average that the city roads are. Oh well. Honestly considering everything I've read about BB actively steering people away from Vizios, I didn't really want to give them my business on this TV, plus the nearest place to even see it is about 2 hours away in Milwaukee. Buying sight unseen is a rarity for me, but everything I'm reading has this set hitting every single one of my checkboxes.
post #41437 of 64337 Old 02-27-2017, 07:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by feelfreetoblameme View Post
I had major repeated issues with this when I first got the TV and a full factory reset of the TV (which I believe is the third of the three types of resets that can be performed on the TV) plus DHCP reservations for both ethernet and wifi connections on my router seemed to solve the issue. Others have had luck with removing the Google DNS servers and replacing them with the DNS servers from their ISP but I didn't end up needing to do that. What kind of router do you have?
Is the full factory reset different than unplugging, holding the Power button for a bit, then plugging back in? If it is, then I will try that today.

My router is a TP-Link AC1750 Archer C7 running OpenWRT.
post #41438 of 64337 Old 02-27-2017, 08:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Just got my replacement from Vizio and things look good. Still have banding on bright scenes of movies and games when panning. Guess its something I will never get away from.
post #41439 of 64337 Old 02-27-2017, 09:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Liked: 1120
Just received the 6.0 marshmallow update, when it's done I'll what difference there are , if any.

Anyone noticed that you don't have to select your display with YouTube, it immediately cast ro your display.

Sent from my 5054N using Tapatalk
post #41440 of 64337 Old 02-27-2017, 09:07 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by blatz8 View Post
So far no one has proved that they have bought a warranty from Costco or Sam's for a TV purchased elsewhere.

https://m.costco.com/SquareTrade
Dear Kelly M,
Thank you for your order from Costco.com. The following item(s) have shipped.
Shipped Orders with multiple items may ship from different locations, and may ship separately.

Description Qty Ship Date Est. Arrival Date Tracking #
3 Years (For TVs Over $1,000) - Item# 575686 1 05/04/2016 00847002366311
blatz8 likes this.
post #41441 of 64337 Old 02-27-2017, 09:12 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by NothingUnknown View Post
I did a search but couldn't find anything regarding this issue, so sorry if this is a repeat question.

I have a P55-C1 which just got the latest 3.0.12.2 firmware and a Shield Android TV (2015), so I can finally turn on Subsampling which is working fine.

Except for apps that have refresh rate switching like Kodi/SPMC and Plex. When I start a movie, it switches to the movies refresh rate (23.976fps) and plays fine. The problem is stopping the movie and going back from 23.976fps to 60fps (the default). It goes to no signal with subsampling turned on. Turning off the devices or TV restores the signal so it's back to 60fps.

Was wondering if anyone else has this issue.
Digging up your post from last month since it's the only reference to my issue that I can find. I'm running into the same issue as you with Kodi/SPMC. I hadn't discovered that disabling subsampling prevented the problem, but I suppose that's an indicator of where the issue lies. I guess I could just live without subsampling since I don't watch too much HDR content at this time. Here's my info:

P55-C1 on 3.0.13.5
Shield TV (2017) 16GB
Display settings are currently set to 4k @ 59.94hz in Shield settings and Kodi/SPMC. (Tried 60hz, but no change in the behavior.)
Enabling/disabling audio passthrough while playing a video also causes the display to drop out.
post #41442 of 64337 Old 02-27-2017, 09:15 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by kemac View Post
Dear Kelly M,
Thank you for your order from Costco.com. The following item(s) have shipped.
ShippedOrders with multiple items may ship from different locations, and may ship separately.

Description Qty Ship Date Est. Arrival Date Tracking #
3 Years (For TVs Over $1,000) - Item# 575686 1 05/04/2016 00847002366311
Excellent! I will try to see if I can purchase through Costco.com today. This will be way cheaper than going through square's website. Thanks for your help!

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk
post #41443 of 64337 Old 02-27-2017, 09:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 205 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5150 Post(s)
Liked: 3621
Quote:
Excellent! I will try to see if I can purchase through Costco.com today. This will be way cheaper than going through square's website. Thanks for your help!

So I told you all this and even pointed it out on your screenshot. I told you I have personally done it and that many others have too, but You didn't believe anything until someone copied and pasted text from an email?

ok then.... lol
Brandon B, Ph8te, tdwilli1 and 2 others like this.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sony LCD Master Series Calibration Thread
My P75-C1 Calibration Settings (5.0.14.1).
Sony XBR-75Z9F, Vizio P75-C1, Pioneer Kuro 5020, Pioneer VSX-1131, XBox One(X), Wii, NVIDIA SHIELD.v1, FireTV 4K-HDR, HDHR Connects, QNAP 431+
post #41444 of 64337 Old 02-27-2017, 09:30 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbuchanan813 View Post
Uh what? I have the p75 and that soundbar and I get surround through everything that connects to the tv . Go into your Xbox settings and set the Audio correctly . It should not be an issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well, that is just it. I have the Xbox connected to my TV directly (port HDMI 2), and then the sound bar is connected to the TV via HDMI ARC (Port 1 on the TV) and with this setup, I am not able to change the audio settings to 5.1 on the XBOX through HDMI.

Is your setup the same? If so, I am sure I am doing something wrong but I have not messed with it too much to be honest.
post #41445 of 64337 Old 02-27-2017, 09:38 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 22
A couple of questions

1) Does the inbuilt casting function not do 4k 60fps? I have tried a few Youtube videos and they all show (or atleast indicate on the tablet) that they are 4k 30fps?

2) For Nvidia Shield owners, does Amazon HDR output at 24p or is it still 60p like on the Xbox streaming client?

Thanks
post #41446 of 64337 Old 02-27-2017, 10:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Absolutely false. You cannot buy a Square trade Warranty through Sam's or Costco. However, you can purchase one via square trade online or Amazon. The TV has to be purchased within the last 30 days. The reason I know this is because I bought an open box P 65 - c 1 from Best Buy within the last month, and I didn't want to pay 500 for a Best Buy warranty so I saw on this thread where you can buy a SquareTrade warranty through a big box club and I priced it online. For this TV it is $188 with the 10% discount. I was just in Costco last Saturday waiting to see if I should buy the square trade online or if it'd be cheaper through Costco , but the managers at Costco said they do not offer one through Costco because it's a discounted TV and the warranty coverage would only be for the TV bought from Costco.

I'm about to buy my SquareTrade warranty through their website this week.
You can buy from Costco online or Amazon or Square Trade's website, shopping for best price. However, you purchased an open box set. I would suggest contacting Square Trade directly first to see if "open box" aka a returned set will be covered and avoid future misunderstandings. Good luck.
post #41447 of 64337 Old 02-27-2017, 10:01 AM

Quote:
So I told you all this and even pointed it out on your screenshot. I told you I have personally done it and that many others have too, but You didn't believe anything until someone copied and pasted text from an email?

ok then.... lol
So I told you..... I went to Costco, they said absolutely not. I "read" where people have stated that is possible online, but I like to make sure of something before I consider it to be fact.

Thanks for everyone's help with this. Much obliged! Especially the one with the order number. Cheers.

post #41448 of 64337 Old 02-27-2017, 10:05 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidenn86 View Post
It's been a while since I've checked in here. Can anyone tell me about an update for the horrible FLAD issue with blooming? (am I using the right terminology here? Basically, the light behind subtitles/credits/etc is really distracting as it lights up an entire portion of the screen instead of just the area it's supposed to light up).

I'm on the beta update list, haven't had an update in a while to my knowledge, currently on 3.0.14.0. Just wondering if this is an issue being worked on for the next update, if there's any talk of when that might happen, or just SOL?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hoping to get a further update on this myself, it's driving me nuts. Basically have to disable local dimming at all times, and the TV looks pretty terrible in comparison in dark scenes as a result. Tried tweeting Matt, but got nothing, and customer support seems to think the issue should already be fixed. Obviously not.
post #41449 of 64337 Old 02-27-2017, 10:07 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 8
've been playing around with my picture settings recently. I started with the recommended settings for the P on CNET. They recommend Calibrated Dark mode, and then I tweaked their other recommended settings changes from there. Vivid is definitely the best setting for some content, although it can be too bright at time (for me). I turned up backlighting to 80, and increased brightness in Calibrated Dark (custom) mode. It's really been the most accommodating picture setting overall for the content we watch.
How is 4K content over Fire TV?
Asking because I'm considering a 4K HDR Blu-Ray Player with Amazon and other apps built-in as an alternative to replacing my Fire Stick with the Fire TV 4K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVDude1733 View Post
I currently no longer have Prime on my FireTV however Samsung 4K HDR Blu-Ray Player looks amazing with Netflix 4K Content.
Thanks for the tip. I read in an earlier post that Fire TV isn't HDR capable. May consider the Roku Ultra instead. I honestly prefer anything other than Amazon Fire TV. They tend to ram Amazon content at the user.
post #41450 of 64337 Old 02-27-2017, 10:35 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 8
New here

Hello everyone! I've been lurking the forums for a while and finally purchased a P65 a week ago. So far it's been a great TV, but I did notice something last night. While watching an HDR show on Netflix thru the XBox One S, the black bars do not appear black most of the time, they seem to appear with a lot of backlight behind them. There are no issues while playing the same shows in Dolby Vision via casting. I did read that there are some issues with the XBox, but not sure if this is one of them. Could someone confirm this? Sorry, if it's been covered already, I haven't been able to find an exact same issue.

Cheers!
Vadim
post #41451 of 64337 Old 02-27-2017, 10:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 205 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5150 Post(s)
Liked: 3621
Quote:
So I told you..... I went to Costco, they said absolutely not. I "read" where people have stated that is possible online, but I like to make sure of something before I consider it to be fact.

Thanks for everyone's help with this. Much obliged! Especially the one with the order number. Cheers.

Ok, here is more "proof" for you
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Costco.PNG
Views:	238
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	1996481  
kemac, tdwilli1, blatz8 and 1 others like this.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sony LCD Master Series Calibration Thread
My P75-C1 Calibration Settings (5.0.14.1).
Sony XBR-75Z9F, Vizio P75-C1, Pioneer Kuro 5020, Pioneer VSX-1131, XBox One(X), Wii, NVIDIA SHIELD.v1, FireTV 4K-HDR, HDHR Connects, QNAP 431+
post #41452 of 64337 Old 02-27-2017, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Ok, here is more "proof" for you
Now we're talking! You da man. That's all I need.

post #41453 of 64337 Old 02-27-2017, 11:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Update completed almost two hours ago, the tablet is snappier. Smartcast is faster after its initiated.

I'm hoping the other apps will auto connect to the display like YouTube does after tapping the cast icon. Netflix, Vudu really needs this functionality.

Powering on the display seems to be faster, and volume controls work and are a lot more stable. I've switched over to gamma 2.4 for gaming and casting, black bars appear deep and inky. As for as content goes, black is black. Shadow detail and black detail is not crushed so that's a plus. I use 2.4 for Dolby Vision as well and the results are the same. 2.4 is a boon for IPS, it really adds to the display contrast ratio.

post #41454 of 64337 Old 02-27-2017, 11:15 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisplayCalNoob View Post
Update completed almost two hours ago, the tablet is snappier. Smartcast is faster after its initiated.

I'm hoping the other apps will auto connect to the display like YouTube does after tapping the cast icon. Netflix, Vudu really needs this functionality.

Powering on the display seems to be faster, and volume controls work and are a lot more stable. I've switched over to gamma 2.4 for gaming and casting, black bars appear deep and inky. As for as content goes, black is black. Shadow detail and black detail is not crushed so that's a plus. I use 2.4 for Dolby Vision as well and the results are the same. 2.4 is a boon for IPS, it really adds to the display contrast ratio.

Do you use 2.4 with the stock calibration settings?
post #41455 of 64337 Old 02-27-2017, 11:20 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:

I'll have to go back and try 2.4 for the gamma again. In my experience it always made things dark scenes too muddled, so that you couldn't tell what was going on on shows like Daredevil. I've been running 2.2 or even 2.1 for daytime viewing.
post #41456 of 64337 Old 02-27-2017, 11:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theArsenal View Post
Do you use 2.4 with the stock calibration settings?
Yes.

theArsenal likes this.
post #41457 of 64337 Old 02-27-2017, 11:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weeber24 View Post
I'll have to go back and try 2.4 for the gamma again. In my experience it always made things dark scenes too muddled, so that you couldn't tell what was going on on shows like Daredevil. I've been running 2.2 or even 2.1 for daytime viewing.
It depends on what firmware your display is on. I think it was 3.0.12.2 or the one after that got a luminance increase on the lower end of the grayscale. And it was obvious, black detail and shadow detail got a well needed bump.

post #41458 of 64337 Old 02-27-2017, 12:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked: 817
Quote:

Is the P the only "castable" device in your house? Because I still have to select the P on mine but there are four of five other ones to choose from. I'd hate it if it automatically selected one, but if I only had one then yeah that'd be a great.

Vizio P65-C1
post #41459 of 64337 Old 02-27-2017, 01:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordj View Post
Is the P the only "castable" device in your house? Because I still have to select the P on mine but there are four of five other ones to choose from. I'd hate it if it automatically selected one, but if I only had one then yeah that'd be a great.
We have a Roku in the bedroom, it use to show up when casting from the tablet. I think having the option to turn "auto casting" off would be nice. Right now, YouTube seems to be the only app that does it.

post #41460 of 64337 Old 02-27-2017, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwishart View Post
Those are cheap cables, ask the cable manufacturer to send you a copy of the certification for their 25' and 15' cables, make sure it is from an accredited facility, they most likely will give you the run around on this because so far none of these Amazon cables are certified and actually work properly with a full speed 4K HDR video signal.
My Oppo UDP-203 came today. I borrowed a friend's 4k TV that supported HDR and was having all sorts of HDMI issues, I think you're right that the ones I have won't work at that length. I didn't hear back from Bluerigger yet, but since all 3 cables had issues, I don't think they're going to work. Ordered 2 of the BJC ones since after looking at things there's not a good way for me to shorten the run without a massive rework of some stuff and I'd rather just buy my way out of the problem, heh. Thanks again to everyone for the help.

I spoke with Vizio and they have no idea when it'll ship, so I guess I can take this time to do some cable management I've been meaning to do
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
2016/2017 vizio p-series - nice pic(k)! / netflix , best value , D7000 , dolby vision , latest firmware - 6.0.18.1 - previous 5.0.16.1 , Vizio , Vudu

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page