Official Vizio 2016/2017 P Series Owners ONLY Thread UHD/HDR/DV No Price Talk Please - Page 1386 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 288485Likes

post #41551 of 63999 Old 03-01-2017, 06:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2020 Post(s)
Liked: 721
On the Vizio site, the ongoing current Firmware:

Current Firmware Version: 3.0.13.5

Release Notes:
  • Allows Dolby Digital Plus or Atmos audio through ARC
  • Allows optical out to send 5.1 audio instead of only 2.1
  • Fixes black bars on top and bottom in HDR movie not staying black
  • Fixes high pitch squeal when using NVidia Shield and fast forwarding Netflix videos
  • Fixes backlight blooming on the P75 during playback of HDR content
  • General stability and PQ improvements across the system

mpgxsvcd, pilgrimpete and naustin like this.

- PjThis is The End-Age GenerationTime is Running OutQuakes, Sinkholes, Meteors
EvilutionMankind Was CreatedWe Didn't Come From ApesThere Was a Worldwide Flood!
The End of This Age is Near!I'm Ready For The Rapture!Are You Ready?The Time is Now!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #41552 of 63999 Old 03-01-2017, 07:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleCakYngMfd View Post
On the Vizio site, the ongoing current Firmware:

Current Firmware Version: 3.0.13.5

Release Notes:
  • Allows Dolby Digital Plus or Atmos audio through ARC
  • Allows optical out to send 5.1 audio instead of only 2.1
  • Fixes black bars on top and bottom in HDR movie not staying black
  • Fixes high pitch squeal when using NVidia Shield and fast forwarding Netflix videos
  • Fixes backlight blooming on the P75 during playback of HDR content
  • General stability and PQ improvements across the system
Was the previous firmware only allowing 2.1 audio output from optical? I totally thought seeing the DD light up on my receiver that I was getting 5.1/DD, although to be quite honest I didn't fully check.

I wonder if this will finally solve my MAJOR "high pitch" audio problem I've been having watching Netflix on the Nvidia Shield - occasionally the receiver would switch into a constant pitch noise that only shutting down fixed. At times when the kids were watching it more loudly I thought my speakers would blow (and they'd freak out).
post #41553 of 63999 Old 03-01-2017, 07:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1557 Post(s)
Liked: 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Brad View Post
Thanks for the response (and thanks @CleCakYngMfd for yours as well). I feel the same as you. I've calibrated sets before and I'm more about accuracy than anything. As much as it pains me and my OCD, I've been playing with the gamma setting for both HDR10 and DV and find that 2.0 seems to suit some material better. 1.8 gives way to macroblocking in darker areas of the picture, and I prefer not to touch brightness.

I also refuse to turn ALZ off outside of calibration. Doing so makes black bars grey and content, while a bit brighter, lacks punch. Contrast ration is definitely lower with it off as well, so you kind of defeat the purpose of HDR on this set at that point.

For HDR games, I'm finding 1.8 gamma works, along with keeping color at 58. I'm looking at getting a new meter and picking up Calman, but I'm still floored by the Vizio with the stock settings. Just going by eye, it's one of the most accurate, out of the box sets I've seen in a while.

And beard, your calibration settings look great on my set. I didn't use the grayscale settings as they had a negative impact on my particular set. I just wanted to say thanks for posting those!

I usually only recommend copying 2pt only because that will get you a lot closer. 11pt is where I feel is more variant set to set. I actually haven't updated my settings since this firmware though yet due to CalMAN not completely working. I do know that on my set HDR10 is pretty much right on at Gamma 2.1, except Color needs dialed down to 50 and DV needs Backlight at 30 with 2.1 gamma to come really good out of the box. SDR is really good out of the box also and you can select whatever Gamma you want depending on room environment. I use 2.1 because I have lights on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #41554 of 63999 Old 03-01-2017, 07:55 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vangeli View Post
If you connect the Xbox to the display and the display passes audio to the soundbar through ARC, the Xbox doesn't see a 5.1 connection, so any surround output options will show an error and default back to stereo. You need to select bitstream HDMI on the Xbox in order to pass surround to the soundbar, and make sure surround is enabled in the display's audio settings.

The display can be set to pass bitstream or Dolby audio to the SB4451. Both work so it just comes down to preference, and I haven't run into any surround issues with either. I also have the Xbox One S and SB4451.
That make sense. I will give it a try to see if the SB4551 will detect 5.1 when removing the optical and setting up HDMI to bitstream. Would there be any noticeable difference in audio between using HDMI from the XBOX one S to the TV compared to having the XBOX One S connected to the SB4551 via optical?

Thanks again for the output, very much appreciated.
post #41555 of 63999 Old 03-01-2017, 07:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by razrsharp View Post

I wonder if this will finally solve my MAJOR "high pitch"
audio problem I've been having watching Netflix on the
Nvidia Shield...

I don't know, but with Beta-Bug-a-Boo Firmware 3.0.14.0,
I still have my squealing during audio-muting functions on
various devices.

EvilutionMankind Was CreatedWe Didn't Come From ApesThere Was a Worldwide Flood!
The End of This Age is Near!I'm Ready For The Rapture!Are You Ready?The Time is Now!
post #41556 of 63999 Old 03-01-2017, 08:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1767 Post(s)
Liked: 4031
Quote:
There's a NetFlix Test Pattern video that plays fine
at 4K/60VF. (Not HDR, though.)
Plays fine, but not at 60frames while casting. Check your display info while it's rolling.
post #41557 of 63999 Old 03-01-2017, 08:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

Plays fine, but not at 60 frames while casting.
Check your display info while it's rolling.

Display Info reports back "60 Vertical Frequency" when I play/Cast that NetFlix Test Pattern Video. The white ball goes around very smooth and sharp. "Meridian" plays back in 60VF and looks like real-life people movement. 60VF would be great for watching sporting events.

60VF makes 30VF look like 24VF.

post #41558 of 63999 Old 03-01-2017, 08:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 203 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5069 Post(s)
Liked: 3581
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisplayCalNoob View Post
I assume you got the update to complete.

Sent from my 5054N using Tapatalk
Nope, after the download stopped it says I have the latest again.....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sony LCD Master Series Calibration Thread
My P75-C1 Calibration Settings (5.0.14.1).
Sony XBR-75Z9F, Vizio P75-C1, Pioneer Kuro 5020, Pioneer VSX-1131, XBox One(X), Wii, NVIDIA SHIELD.v1, FireTV 4K-HDR, HDHR Connects, QNAP 431+
post #41559 of 63999 Old 03-01-2017, 08:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1848 Post(s)
Liked: 1105
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoman94 View Post
Nope, after the download stopped it says I have the latest again.....
Curious, you did a wipe partition cache?

Thats different then the one in settings.

post #41560 of 63999 Old 03-01-2017, 08:58 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Talking New owner here!

I get my P65 I bought from Costco delivered tomorrow! So excited, I have been wanting to buy this TV for a while. I am upgrading from a 67" Samsung DLP HLS6767W that I bought from recommendations found on here years ago. I will be mostly streaming PS Vue from a Nvidia Shield TV (2017) and watching stuff from Google Play, Amazon Prime, and Netflix. I have never calibrated a TV before but I am considering getting it calibrated. Any recommendations for a new owner besides wading through this thread?
blatz8 likes this.
post #41561 of 63999 Old 03-01-2017, 08:59 AM

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by stringerhye View Post
Every site says that the P65 is a great set, however I am reading that there are some quality control issues. Also, how much of a difference does the 55" IPS display in terms of black levels. I am also considering the Samsung s8000 and Sony 93d
Go with the Vizio. I have a p55 and can't imagine black levels being any better.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk
dirtydansv likes this.
post #41562 of 63999 Old 03-01-2017, 09:06 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I'm having issues with Netflix and using ARC, audio never starts by itself, and if I pause or rewind, audio stops coming from surround , I have to either turn my receiver off or switch inputs, any suggestions? Thanks!
post #41563 of 63999 Old 03-01-2017, 09:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1767 Post(s)
Liked: 4031
Quote:
Display Info reports back "60 Vertical Frequency" when I play/Cast that NetFlix Test Pattern Video.
Just checked, and you are correct sir - Netflix does cast at 60Hz. My apologies.

YouTube caps at 30Hz while casting.
CleCakYngMfd likes this.
post #41564 of 63999 Old 03-01-2017, 09:38 AM

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 126
I'm pretty sure the answer is no, but are there any Google Play movies with HDR support?
post #41565 of 63999 Old 03-01-2017, 09:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 4458 Post(s)
Liked: 2503
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcholthaus View Post
I'm pretty sure the answer is no, but are there any Google Play movies with HDR support?
You're right as the answer is "No".

lujan
524 Ultra HD
729 HD
4 SD
post #41566 of 63999 Old 03-01-2017, 09:58 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by k124 View Post
Not an issue typically associated w/ the Xbox.
Make sure your LED zone dimming is ON.
Also, if it is a darker room, turn down your backlight a bit.

All of that said, if you are watching Netflix, best to just cast from the tablet to TV vs. using Xbox which does not support DV.
Thanks for the reply!
LED zone dimming is turned ON.
My backlight is at 10, basically using similar settings between the Xbox input and casting. One thing i did yesterday, was to turn down the brightness from 51 to 50 and it seemed to make a lot of difference. I'll do more testing, but watching a blu-ray last night had perfect black bars around it, so could just be a Netflix app related.
post #41567 of 63999 Old 03-01-2017, 10:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by starkies View Post
I get my P65 I bought from Costco delivered tomorrow! So excited, I have been wanting to buy this TV for a while. I am upgrading from a 67" Samsung DLP HLS6767W that I bought from recommendations found on here years ago. I will be mostly streaming PS Vue from a Nvidia Shield TV (2017) and watching stuff from Google Play, Amazon Prime, and Netflix. I have never calibrated a TV before but I am considering getting it calibrated. Any recommendations for a new owner besides wading through this thread?

I personally wouldn't pay for a Calibration. These are really good out of the box and not worth the money in my opinion. I have the same size and a Calibration meter and have spent lots of time with mine. I would use Calibrated Mode with all sources and with Dolby Vision lower Backlight to 30. With HDR10 lower color to 50. With SDR I would just keep it as is (depending on room lighting). Any questions feel free to ask.

DaverJ and mpgxsvcd like this.
post #41568 of 63999 Old 03-01-2017, 10:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked: 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by beardontwalk123 View Post
I personally wouldn't pay for a Calibration. These are really good out of the box and not worth the money in my opinion. I have the same size and a Calibration meter and have spent lots of time with mine. I would use Calibrated Mode with all sources and with Dolby Vision lower Backlight to 30. With HDR10 lower color to 50. With SDR I would just keep it as is (depending on room lighting). Any questions feel free to ask.

Any downsides to running backlight at 50 with Dolby Vision? I've been bouncing back and forth and tend to like 50 better. I've tried 35 and while it still looks great, I just can't make up my mind. Haha.

PSN ID/XBOX Live! Gamertag: BiffCo
post #41569 of 63999 Old 03-01-2017, 10:51 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortspecialbus View Post
Still looking for this, for the P75-C1, since I forgot to specify. I asked Vizio and apparently they do not have that information.
The distance from the center of the lower vesa mount screws on the back to the bottom of the bezel on a P75-C1 is 10 7/8".
shortspecialbus likes this.
post #41570 of 63999 Old 03-01-2017, 10:53 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondHope View Post
The distance from the center of the lower vesa mount screws on the back to the bottom of the bezel on a P75-C1 is 10 7/8".
Thanks! Appreciate it! Looks like I need to raise my mount a few inches, or move my center channel shelf to above the TV, which sounded weird when I had it up there earlier. Lowering the shelf isn't an option because of an outlet in the way.

Edit: Or get rid of the shelf and just get a little stand for the speaker, since it'd only be about at outlet height. Hmm.

Last edited by shortspecialbus; 03-01-2017 at 10:56 AM.
post #41571 of 63999 Old 03-01-2017, 11:00 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisplayCalNoob View Post
Do this, power your tablet off. Power it back on using power and volume down until the first thing appears on the screen, then release both buttons.

A menu will pop up, use the volume buttons to navigate to "wipe partition cache". Use the power button to select it.

This will take a while, so you have to be patient. Once it's done, choose reboot. When it's done rebooting, search for software update.

No dice..
post #41572 of 63999 Old 03-01-2017, 11:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Brad View Post
Any downsides to running backlight at 50 with Dolby Vision? I've been bouncing back and forth and tend to like 50 better. I've tried 35 and while it still looks great, I just can't make up my mind. Haha.

The mids are over luminanced quite a bit with these last couple of firmwares. 50 used to be right on but now with Gamma at 2.1 and Backlight at 30 it follows the EOTF pretty much perfectly. This is with the 65 inch anyway. Different sizes may vary. Color is pretty over saturated also but I leave that at 50 for now. I need to wait for CalMAN to get fixed before I mess with Dolby Vision Calibration again. If you have any more questions related to Calibration feel free to head over to the calibration thread also. There is a whole thread dedicated to Calibration of these P Series specifically.

post #41573 of 63999 Old 03-01-2017, 11:16 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by beardontwalk123 View Post

1. Do I need to get certified HDMI cables to get the full benefit of the 4K and HDR goodness? Any recommendation on a brand? I was looking on Amazon and thinking of getting these:
https://www.amazon.com/HDMI-Cable-UH...=hdmi+cable+4k

2. I am wanting to do my first wall mount of a TV. I bought a full motion mount from Costco, and I have heard the recommended height for TV mounting is 3-4 feet up. Is this a preference thing? Is this measured from the bottom of the TV? Any tips for routing cables through wall?

Thanks for the help.
post #41574 of 63999 Old 03-01-2017, 11:26 AM

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagd0003 View Post
Thanks for the reply!
LED zone dimming is turned ON.
My backlight is at 10, basically using similar settings between the Xbox input and casting. One thing i did yesterday, was to turn down the brightness from 51 to 50 and it seemed to make a lot of difference. I'll do more testing, but watching a blu-ray last night had perfect black bars around it, so could just be a Netflix app related.
Gotcha. Yeah, I have found that brightness and/or increase to luminance w/ offset or low end of 11-pt can cause some significant blooming - maybe a bit different than you are referring to though.

I have been disappointed w/ Xbox for streaming content - Netflix & Amazon - I can't recall how Netflix operates, but Amazon triggers HDR mode for SDR content and it looks real bad. Hulu seems good though.

For Netflix, use Cast. For Amazon, recommend you use another device. I got a Roku.
post #41575 of 63999 Old 03-01-2017, 11:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1684 Post(s)
Liked: 1055
Quote:
Read the first post on this thread and purchase good 18 Gbps cables of less than 10 ft. Monoprice certified and Amazon "latest spec" work for most people. For longer runs Blue Jeans cable seems to be the recommended standard. I love my P65. Good luck.
starkies and tspainiv like this.
post #41576 of 63999 Old 03-01-2017, 01:27 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 474 Post(s)
Liked: 468
Quote:
1. Do I need to get certified HDMI cables to get the full benefit of the 4K and HDR goodness? Any recommendation on a brand? I was looking on Amazon and thinking of getting these:
https://www.amazon.com/HDMI-Cable-UH...=hdmi+cable+4k

2. I am wanting to do my first wall mount of a TV. I bought a full motion mount from Costco, and I have heard the recommended height for TV mounting is 3-4 feet up. Is this a preference thing? Is this measured from the bottom of the TV? Any tips for routing cables through wall?

Thanks for the help.
Those Amazon cables might work but are very low quality and will most likely cause problems when used with a 4K HDR video signal.

The best cables are Blue Jeans Cables, their series FE are good for up to 15 feet and series 1 for longer then 15 feet.

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/...hdmi-cable.htm
post #41577 of 63999 Old 03-01-2017, 01:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1848 Post(s)
Liked: 1105
Quote:
Originally Posted by k124 View Post
Gotcha. Yeah, I have found that brightness and/or increase to luminance w/ offset or low end of 11-pt can cause some significant blooming - maybe a bit different than you are referring to though.

I have been disappointed w/ Xbox for streaming content - Netflix & Amazon - I can't recall how Netflix operates, but Amazon triggers HDR mode for SDR content and it looks real bad. Hulu seems good though.

For Netflix, use Cast. For Amazon, recommend you use another device. I got a Roku.
I used BT.1886 and had deep blacks, if blacks are grey then luminance spikes haven't been flattened to follow curve properly. My display is a IPS panel.

post #41578 of 63999 Old 03-01-2017, 01:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Anyone know if Plex cast to this TV can do 4k remotely?

My friend and I are testing some 4k demo files from his server and seeing if this TV will display 4K and HDR correctly.
post #41579 of 63999 Old 03-01-2017, 01:49 PM

Quoted: 474 Post(s)
Liked: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Lushious View Post
Ugh, ARC on this TV has been nothing but headache after headache.

I'll get sound, then weeks later nothing. Has anyone figured out a surefire way to get this blasted TV to use ARC?

I've power cycled both my P65 and SC-95, which used to do the trick, but now that does nothing.

EDIT - I forgot to mention I am on 3.0.14.0.

Have to ask .. are you using blue jeans cables ?

shortyg83 and blatz8 like this.
post #41580 of 63999 Old 03-01-2017, 01:51 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToxiCRabbit View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vangeli View Post
If you connect the Xbox to the display and the display passes audio to the soundbar through ARC, the Xbox doesn't see a 5.1 connection, so any surround output options will show an error and default back to stereo. You need to select bitstream HDMI on the Xbox in order to pass surround to the soundbar, and make sure surround is enabled in the display's audio settings.

The display can be set to pass bitstream or Dolby audio to the SB4451. Both work so it just comes down to preference, and I haven't run into any surround issues with either. I also have the Xbox One S and SB4451.
That make sense. I will give it a try to see if the SB4551 will detect 5.1 when removing the optical and setting up HDMI to bitstream. Would there be any noticeable difference in audio between using HDMI from the XBOX one S to the TV compared to having the XBOX One S connected to the SB4551 via optical?

Thanks again for the output, very much appreciated.
There shouldn't be a difference, surround over optical on Xbox was always Dolby Digital or DTS, and those are the two formats the SB4551 uses. I'm not sure about bitstream but it likely passes one or the other (and soon will also pass Atmos, but that doesn't work on the soundbar) so there likely isn't a difference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
2016/2017 vizio p-series - nice pic(k)! / netflix , best value , D7000 , dolby vision , latest firmware - 6.0.18.1 - previous 5.0.16.1 , Vizio , Vudu

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page