Official Vizio 2016/2017 P Series Owners ONLY Thread UHD/HDR/DV No Price Talk Please - Page 1388 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 288502Likes

post #41611 of 64109 Old 03-02-2017, 08:58 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Shipped back my defected Vizio D 4k and probably plan on picking up a 50" P on sale for $999 CAD in the next few months.

Has anybody had experience with both the D 4k and P? Enough to dish out a good comparison?

In all honesty the only issue I have with the D 4k are it'd black levels. Otherwise it's motion performance(12ms) is fantastic, almost in line with a mid range ish plasma it's bright enough, and has super low input lag.

I'm coming from a Panasonic s60 plasma which was a lifeless dreary dismal CRAP TV aside from its amazing black levels....otherwise the D stomps all over it in regards to brightness, white whites, pop and clarity. It looks alive while the plasma looks lifeless.

Still, the D 4k can't compete in this area aka black levels, even when FAlD is activated....yet the screen is far too dim 'when' fald is activated rendering the feature absolutely useless.

I'm hoping the P can deliver with blacks...it's already got the D beat in terms of motion blur(10ms), contrast, blacks (by 5 points), color, brightness and dimming zones.

The blacks don't have to be quite as deep as my older s60, but getting them close would be nice while maintaining great brightness with falD activated. No lower than 300cmd

Last edited by KidRad; 03-02-2017 at 09:04 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #41612 of 64109 Old 03-02-2017, 09:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1852 Post(s)
Liked: 1117
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidRad View Post
Shipped back my defected Vizio D 4k and probably plan on picking up a 50" P on sale for $999 CAD in the next few months.

Has anybody had experience with both the D 4k and P? Enough to dish out a good comparison?

In all honesty the only issue I have with the D 4k are it'd black levels. Otherwise it's motion performance(12ms) is fantastic, almost in line with a mid range ish plasma it's bright enough, and has super low input lag.

I'm coming from a Panasonic s60 plasma which was a lifeless dreary dismal CRAP TV aside from its amazing black levels....otherwise the D stomps all over it in regards to brightness, white whites, pop and clarity. It looks alive while the plasma looks lifeless.

Still, the D 4k can't compete in this area aka black levels, even when FAlD is activated....yet the screen is far too dim 'when' fald is activated rendering the feature absolutely useless.

I'm hoping the P can deliver with blacks...it's already got the D beat in terms of motion blur(10ms), contrast, blacks (by 5 points), color, brightness and dimming zones.

The blacks don't have to be quite as deep as my older s60, but getting them close would be nice while maintaining great brightness with falD activated. No lower than 300cmd
You don't have to hope.

Sent from my 5054N using Tapatalk
post #41613 of 64109 Old 03-02-2017, 09:30 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 474 Post(s)
Liked: 312
Quote:

You are taking about a Toyota Corolla (vizio d) going against a lambo. (Vizio p) . Simply not comparable .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #41614 of 64109 Old 03-02-2017, 09:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello everyone, first post here.

I just ordered a P65 from Costco and should be arriving next week. I have a setup question. I am going to run HDMI from my PS4 Pro and Xbox One S to a new Onkyo receiver i ordered (TX-NR656), which supports HDR and 4K. My question is this, from the receiver to the TV, what input do i use on the TV itself to plug in the HDMI? I have seen some folks say to use ports 1-4, does not matter, or i have seen people say only use HDMI 5, or whatever you do, don't use HDMI 5! It is rather confusing.

Since i am wall mounting it, i the last thing i want to do it mess with the inputs on the TV once it is mounted.

I know what HMDI port is suppose to be "high speed" for lower game response time, but i have read that it does not play well with 4K and HDR.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
post #41615 of 64109 Old 03-02-2017, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbuchanan813 View Post
You are taking about a Toyota Corolla (vizio d) going against a lambo. (Vizio p) . Simply not comparable .

Do you use Fald on the Vizio P or leave the feature off? I don't want to deal with dim whites or a dim picture overall just for the sake or getting greater blacks. Hopefully the P can maintain at least 300cmd with Fald activated.

Here is what Rtngs said about the Ps local dimming...

"The local dimming feature on the Vizio P Series 2016, called 'Active LED Zones,' works really well, thanks to the full-array backlight. In our video, the white dot is a bit dimmed, which is unfortunate, but at least there isn't any major blooming. You will see more blooming at an angle than you will from directly in front of the TV. When watching movies, a downside of this feature is that stars in the sky won't be bright, but at least the blacks will be great"

There's a good chance I'll wind up not using Fald because of this reason alone....the Ps black scored 5 points higher than the D 4k without Fald activated so at least there IS already a difference without using that feature
post #41616 of 64109 Old 03-02-2017, 10:11 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbrooks330 View Post
Quick question are you playing these files via a Micro SD or USB via Plex to your Vizio? Or are you able to use Plex server and play files (I.e. - Your home PC houses your movie/demo files)

Thanks in Advance

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Both work great for me! My Roku is ethernet hard-wired with 6' compliant HDMI to P50. Plex windows server. Plex client from WITHIN Roku (HDR doesn't work otherwise). Direct Play and Direct Stream both checked in server settings. Client settings: Local/client/remote quality all set to "original, not recommended", Direct play "forced", "allow direct stream" checked.

Micro SD/USB is plug and play via Roku media player..
Tbrooks330 likes this.

Last edited by Ken McPherson; 03-02-2017 at 10:35 AM.
post #41617 of 64109 Old 03-02-2017, 10:18 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbuchanan813 View Post
I thought you were exclusively talking about 4k hdr .

I get HDR in BOTH 1080p and 2160p from the Plex client WITHIN Roku. Won't work if you use other Plex clients.
post #41618 of 64109 Old 03-02-2017, 10:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2030 Post(s)
Liked: 721
Quote:

Do you use FALD [ALZ] on the Vizio P or leave the feature off?
I don't want to deal with dim whites or a dim picture
overall
just for the sake or getting greater blacks.

Here is what Rtngs said about the P's local dimming...

"...When watching movies, a downside of this feature is that
stars in the sky won't be bright, but at least the blacks will be great..."

There's a good chance I'll wind up not using [ALZ] because of this reason alone...

I've recently begun watching stuff with ALZ Off on my P-50-C1, and I'm liking
it more and more. (Ok, the Backlight is not as 'Black' from earlier Firmware,
but that may come back, I hope.)

If you watch anything with a star field on what's supposed to a black background
(such as the opening of each episode of the Original Star Trek Series via NetFlix),
ALZ must be OFF, otherwise the stars' brightness is drastically cut. To me, ALZ
interferes too much on various nearly all dark and darker scenes with some mixed
brighter lighting.

I don't know if Vizio can further improve the ALZ or will it always work this way?

With some content, when ALZ is Off, you can knock down the Brightness to 49 or
lower if needed to help on Contrast/Blacks. (I moved Contrast down to 44 since
the Beta Firmware 3.0.14.0 Release. 46-to-50+ blows-out peak brights according
to some test scenes on the Disney WoW Disc.)

If you get the P-50, I think you are going to like it.

- PjThis is The End-Age GenerationTime is Running OutQuakes, Sinkholes, Meteors
EvilutionMankind Was CreatedWe Didn't Come From ApesThere Was a Worldwide Flood!
The End of This Age is Near!I'm Ready For The Rapture!Are You Ready?The Time is Now!
post #41619 of 64109 Old 03-02-2017, 10:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Do you use Fald on the Vizio P or leave the feature off? I don't want to deal with dim whites or a dim picture overall just for the sake or getting greater blacks. Hopefully the P can maintain at least 300cmd with Fald activated.

"The local dimming feature on the Vizio P Series 2016, called 'Active LED Zones,' works really well, thanks to the full-array backlight. In our video, the white dot is a bit dimmed, which is unfortunate, but at least there isn't any major blooming. You will see more blooming at an angle than you will from directly in front of the TV. When watching movies, a downside of this feature is that stars in the sky won't be bright, but at least the blacks will be great"

There's a good chance I'll wind up not using Fald because of this reason alone....the Ps black scored 5 points higher than the D 4k without Fald activated so at least there IS already a difference without using that feature
It doesn't matter when it comes to content, the 75" is 600 nits fullscreen, 65" 550 nits, 55" 500 nits and 50" 450". Although I may be off on some.

The brightness either way will exceed, 300 nits.

post #41620 of 64109 Old 03-02-2017, 10:45 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 460
80 inch E Series

FYI
Anyone looking for something bigger Vizio just announced 80 inch E Series display.

Vizio P75-C1, P50-C1, P65-C1- FW 7.0.8.2-1
Samsung UHD Bluray K8500 - LG UBK90 DV Bluray player
Vizio SB46514-F6 Soundbar - Vizio SB4551-D5 Soundbar
Directv Genie HR34 - Chromecast Ultra
post #41621 of 64109 Old 03-02-2017, 10:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1084 Post(s)
Liked: 2072
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj97006 View Post
Hello everyone, first post here.

I just ordered a P65 from Costco and should be arriving next week. I have a setup question. I am going to run HDMI from my PS4 Pro and Xbox One S to a new Onkyo receiver i ordered (TX-NR656), which supports HDR and 4K. My question is this, from the receiver to the TV, what input do i use on the TV itself to plug in the HDMI? I have seen some folks say to use ports 1-4, does not matter, or i have seen people say only use HDMI 5, or whatever you do, don't use HDMI 5! It is rather confusing.

Since i am wall mounting it, i the last thing i want to do it mess with the inputs on the TV once it is mounted.

I know what HMDI port is suppose to be "high speed" for lower game response time, but i have read that it does not play well with 4K and HDR.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Congrats on your purchase and welcome!

You want to run your main HDMI out from your receiver into HDMI input 1 on the Vizio. That is the one port that supports Audio Return Channel (ARC) so you can get the Dolby Digital Plus (and Atmos from Vudu) back out to your receiver from the display. And don't forget to make it an 18Gbps cable.

HDMI 1-4 all support HDR. HDMI 5 is the high speed non-HDR gaming port.
post #41622 of 64109 Old 03-02-2017, 11:02 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6526 Post(s)
Liked: 6238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anago View Post
FYI
Anyone looking for something bigger Vizio just announced 80 inch E Series display.

That would be a downgrade outside of size. I wouldn't even consider it personally.

post #41623 of 64109 Old 03-02-2017, 11:07 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Wow the new serie e 2017 is not comming whit (dolby atmos).

marantz av 8805, 13 chanels, emotiva 2 xpa 5 gen1,1 emotiva xpa3 gen3, 7.4.6,4 speakers monitor 11 ,2 paradigm studio 100 v2,4 ceillings speakers ss82w sweet spot earthquake ,2 earthquake ecs-8.0,1 center Paradigm cc390,4 subs klipsch r-sw112 sw.antimod 8033 perfect bass kit paradigm, Buttkicker amplificateur lfe 1000 watts, , tv oled 65e6p,, room 12x25x7,bluray player oppo bdp 203,4coolers ac infinity s9 fan.
post #41624 of 64109 Old 03-02-2017, 11:12 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by zimmo View Post
Wow the new serie e 2017 is not comming whit (dolby atmos).
...or Dolby Vision, either.
post #41625 of 64109 Old 03-02-2017, 11:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2104 Post(s)
Liked: 2118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Milton View Post
...or Dolby Vision, either.
Did the E series ever have DV?
post #41626 of 64109 Old 03-02-2017, 11:15 AM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Ok...so I have had my P50 for several months now. Lost track of firmware update. As far as I know I have never updated and didn't want to risk the Beta. Is there an official firmware released for the P50 that lowers input lag and reduces/eliminates the 'flash' with ALED activated? I have been watching with it off because the flash was too noticeable for me.

Jutter is gone..zipadeedoodah zipadeeday!!!
post #41627 of 64109 Old 03-02-2017, 11:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCF34 View Post
Ok...so I have had my P50 for several months now. Lost track of firmware update. As far as I know I have never updated and didn't want to risk the Beta. Is there an official firmware released for the P50 that lowers input lag and reduces/eliminates the 'flash' with ALED activated? I have been watching with it off because the flash was too noticeable for me.
The last update has better FALD performance and is considered to be as good as or the same as firmware 2.2.7.4. It was accompanied by a Android update for the tablet. The last few updates IMO, has Smartcast nearly flawless. I can't stand remote control navigation anymore, especially for searching for programs.

post #41628 of 64109 Old 03-02-2017, 11:38 AM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisplayCalNoob View Post
The last update has better FALD performance and is considered to be as good as or the same as firmware 2.2.7.4. It was accompanied by a Android update for the tablet. The last few updates IMO, has Smartcast nearly flawless. I can't stand remote control navigation anymore, especially for searching for programs.

So there is an official release! So here is a dumb question - is it possible it updated automatically? How do I check and 'force' the update? Thanks! I haven't used my android tablet in months - just use app on Iphone 6.

Jutter is gone..zipadeedoodah zipadeeday!!!
post #41629 of 64109 Old 03-02-2017, 11:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMelo View Post

IMHO what you are perceiving is motion blur due to 24fps
and not a technical issue with the TV.

https://frames-per-second.appspot.com/

As you might of read in my subsequent post, it was a problem with the Display/Firmware.

Attached is a pic of the settings I used on the 'Frames-Per-Second' site. Try these to see
what I was dealing with. The bottom baseball is pretty much what I was seeing:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fram Rate [Comparison of my Previous P50-C1 Problem].JPG
Views:	133
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	2002033  

EvilutionMankind Was CreatedWe Didn't Come From ApesThere Was a Worldwide Flood!
The End of This Age is Near!I'm Ready For The Rapture!Are You Ready?The Time is Now!
post #41630 of 64109 Old 03-02-2017, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleCakYngMfd View Post

If you watch anything with a star field on what's supposed to a black background
(such as the opening of each episode of the Original Star Trek Series via NetFlix),
interferes too much on various nearly all dark and darker scenes with some mixed
brighter lighting.

I don't know if Vizio can further improve the ALZ or will it always work this way?

Thanks for the detailed response!....yeah I figured ALZ would yet again come at a cost. I can't see myself using it if that's the case. Here's a comparison based on RTNGS review of the D(4k) and P...

D(4k)

Blacks - 0.023 cdm2
Whites - 100.2 cdm2
Contrast - 4356:1
brightness - 302 nits
Response time - 12.3ms
Color - 8-Bit

P

Blacks - 0.018 cdm2
Whites - 102.5 cdm2
Contrast - 5694:1
brightness: 560 nits
Response time: 10.2ms
Color: 10-Bit

The 50" D on sale goes for $599 where as the P usually drops down to either $999 or $1099. Now the question is it worth spending over $400 for the following superior specs above. I'd personally say YES but that silver bezel has me almost thinking otherwise.lol is there a big difference in terms of black levels if u compare the Ds regular 0.023 to the Ps 0.018cmd2?

I'm probably better off getting the P but I'd need to find a way to paint the bezel black
post #41631 of 64109 Old 03-02-2017, 11:52 AM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoman94 View Post
While I agree that BJC Cables are good cables.... I use Amazon Basics for 10ft and under without issue with 4K HDR and ARC.
Should I then be concerned that I *cannot* seem to connect my Shield with a 4:2:2/10 colour profile using these cables and get complete audio/visual dropouts?:
- Monoprice certified 20 foot run (I have now tried 3 with no luck)
- Included Vizio 6 foot cable

I literally have 1 day left to exchange/return my shield. Any further insight appreciated.
post #41632 of 64109 Old 03-02-2017, 11:59 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6526 Post(s)
Liked: 6238
Quote:
Originally Posted by razrsharp View Post
Should I then be concerned that I *cannot* seem to connect my Shield with a 4:2:2/10 colour profile using these cables and get complete audio/visual dropouts?:

- Monoprice certified 20 foot run (I have now tried 3 with no luck)

- Included Vizio 6 foot cable

I literally have 1 day left to exchange/return my shield. Any further insight appreciated.

The caveat in the post you quoted was 10' and BELOW. If you are doing an extended run of 10'+ it is recommended that you use the BJC or similar certified cables.

shoman94 likes this.
post #41633 of 64109 Old 03-02-2017, 12:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for the detailed response!....yeah I figured ALZ would yet again come at a cost. I can't see myself using it if that's the case. Here's a comparison based on RTNGS review of the D(4k) and P...

D(4k)

Blacks - 0.023 cdm2
Whites - 100.2 cdm2
brightness - 302 nits
Response time - 12.3ms
Color - 8-Bit

P

Blacks - 0.018 cdm2
Whites - 102.5 cdm2

The 50" D on sale goes for $599 where as the P usually drops down to either $999 or $1099. Now the question is it worth spending over $400 for the following superior specs above. I'd personally say YES but that silver bezel has me almost thinking otherwise.lol is there a big difference in terms of black levels if u compare the Ds regular 0.023 to the Ps 0.018cmd2?

I'm probably better off getting the P but I'd need to find a way to paint the bezel black
RTINGS isn't the best reference, unless you plan on calibrating your display to 100 nits to match 8 bit content nit values.

But, out of the box the P Series doesn't dim that much lower than its fullscreen nits.

post #41634 of 64109 Old 03-02-2017, 12:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1569 Post(s)
Liked: 906
Quote:

It does somewhat dim the whites but they are still over 300 cd/m2 with FALD On which is bright. Was that you that I did a white and black test for? I can't remember......

post #41635 of 64109 Old 03-02-2017, 12:04 PM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
The caveat in the post you quoted was 10' and BELOW. If you are doing an extended run of 10'+ it is recommended that you use the BJC or similar certified cables.

The included 6-foot Vizio cable doesn't work either.
post #41636 of 64109 Old 03-02-2017, 12:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So there is an official release! So here is a dumb question - is it possible it updated automatically? How do I check and 'force' the update? Thanks! I haven't used my android tablet in months - just use app on Iphone 6.
I'm not sure its available for download from the website just yet.

post #41637 of 64109 Old 03-02-2017, 12:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1569 Post(s)
Liked: 906
Quote:

D(4k)

Blacks - 0.023 cdm2

Whites - 100.2 cdm2

brightness - 302 nits

Response time - 12.3ms

Color - 8-Bit

P

Blacks - 0.018 cdm2

Whites - 102.5 cdm2

That's where I personally think Rtings fails.....they compare all TV's contrast ratio with FALD Off. Which would put the D Series in the same playing field as the P Series (which it is not). Also gives an extreme advantage to Samsung TV's without FALD imo. The contrast ratio was more around 20,000:1 with FALD On instead of the 5694:1 they post with it off.....

post #41638 of 64109 Old 03-02-2017, 12:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I'm probably better off getting the P but I'd
need to find a way to paint the bezel black.

I don't know about the P vs the other Series, but if most of your viewing is at night and
your only room light is behind the Display, the Silver Bezel almost 'turns black'.

Also, for night viewing of movies, the P-Series wins hands-down in its price class.
If your main viewing is off-axis, the P55 with its IPS panel is better.

I initially thought the Silver Bezel would be a problem. If I normally viewed during
the day, I would've searched for a 'Black Bezel Kit', if such exits or use black tape or
something.

post #41639 of 64109 Old 03-02-2017, 12:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Is it possible it updated automatically?
How do I check and 'force' the update?

3.0.13.5 is the posted, Wide-Release Firmware on the Vizio site, and can be downloaded from there.

3.0.14.0 is the latest Beta for those who previously requested to be on the Beta/Early Wide-Release List.
Some have been on the List and say they haven't received the Betas. So for some, it's a crap-shoot, I
suppose.

Your Display will auto-update the Firmware in due time if you're on an older one.

Display Info will show you what Firmware you are on.

post #41640 of 64109 Old 03-02-2017, 12:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleCakYngMfd View Post

brighter lighting.

If your watching SDR content with your backlight at 14 and lower, yes. Your bright whites against a black environment will be to dim. Out of the box, no.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
2016/2017 vizio p-series - nice pic(k)! / netflix , best value , D7000 , dolby vision , latest firmware - 6.0.18.1 - previous 5.0.16.1 , Vizio , Vudu

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page