Official Vizio 2016/2017 P Series Owners ONLY Thread UHD/HDR/DV No Price Talk Please - Page 1389 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 288722Likes

post #41641 of 64739 Old 03-02-2017, 12:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2073 Post(s)
Liked: 730
Oh my. My battery was very low, so I put my Tablet on the Dock, and
not too long later... I heard some sound from the Tablet.

I go to pick it up and it's off. I looked at where I would plug it in, and
Nooooooooooooooooooo! I left the AC uplugged.

Battery ran dead.

I plug it in and the Tablet turns on. I try to turn it off but it 'clicked' and
turns off... and back on again! I finally got the menu to pop-up to
'Power Off' and I did that. It turns on again!!!

I guess it got just enough of a charge, as I tapped the button to turn off the
display and it stopped turning off. How'd this get by 'testing' at Vizio?

Gee, when my battery dies with my Braun Shaver, I plug-in the AC it
runs AND charges at the same time. Why can't the Tablet do the same?

Ah, finally... Tablet Update has come a-calling. I'm grabbing it now.

- PjThis is The End-Age GenerationTime is Running OutQuakes, Sinkholes, Meteors
EvilutionMankind Was CreatedWe Didn't Come From ApesThere Was a Worldwide Flood!
The End of This Age is Near!I'm Ready For The Rapture!Are You Ready?The Time is Now!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #41642 of 64739 Old 03-02-2017, 12:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidRad View Post

I'm probably better off getting the P but I'd need to find a way to paint the bezel black

I too was not happy about having to go with the silver bezel, but now that I have it, i much prefer it.At night the bezel basically disappears. It is actually really nice looking once you get used to it.
blatz8 and Jim Milton like this.
post #41643 of 64739 Old 03-02-2017, 12:54 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfjazz View Post
I just connected a Denon X3300W to my P65 a few days ago and was having the same issue as some others in this thread with choppy sound when casting Netflix using ARC. Turning the Vizio Audio setting for the Speaker to "Off", (left everything else default) seems to have solved the issue with choppy sound during casting for me.

I'm on 3.0.13.5 using the original HDMI cable supplied by Vizio.
That was how it worked for me prior to 3.0.13.5. Vizio just replaced my set (under protest) despite me stating that it appeared to be a firmware issue. (They actually sent someone out previously to replace the internal speakers despite a lengthy call discussing the ARC, Receiver, Firmware issue) Still having the same result after the new set updated firmware. There are a few other posts from people on the Beta 3.0.14 that are experience the same issues with ARC.

The only way I can get clean sound is to set the Digital Audio out to "PCM" but that downmixes to Stereo.
Curious what the magic is with yours? Are you running 5.1 setup on the Denon. Are you getting the DD+ DDS indicator on the Denon when playing audio?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #41644 of 64739 Old 03-02-2017, 01:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisplayCalNoob View Post

If your watching SDR content with your
backlight at 14 and lower, yes.
Your bright whites against a black
environment will be to dim. Out of the box, no.

Huh? 14 and lower?

My Backlight is 50 and I select ABC Off/Hi/Med/Low as needed.

ALZ has to be off to get pinpoint stars bright. With ALZ on, the
stars' brightness drop significantly. No other way around it. ALZ
has to be OFF.

EvilutionMankind Was CreatedWe Didn't Come From ApesThere Was a Worldwide Flood!
The End of This Age is Near!I'm Ready For The Rapture!Are You Ready?The Time is Now!
post #41645 of 64739 Old 03-02-2017, 01:14 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfjazz View Post
I just connected a Denon X3300W to my P65 a few days ago and was having the same issue as some others in this thread with choppy sound when casting Netflix using ARC. Turning the Vizio Audio setting for the Speaker to "Off", (left everything else default) seems to have solved the issue with choppy sound during casting for me.

I'm on 3.0.13.5 using the original HDMI cable supplied by Vizio.
Wow, I wish it was that simple for me. I have a P50 and a X3300W and nothing I do fixes the DD+ over ARC issues. I've done a factory reset, did the unplug and hold the power reset, set speakers off, changed between CEC and ARC only, set the output to bitstream instead of auto, tried half a dozen different HDMI cables, turned off HDMI subsampling, and nothing fixes the DD+ over ARC audio dropouts for me. I didn't get my AVR until after 3.0.13.5 so I don't know if it would have worked on the earlier firmware but other Denon owners have said ARC worked for them on 3.0.12 but not 3.0.13. It is very frustrating that it works for some people but not for me, maybe something is broken with my TV or AVR. I've pretty much given up at this point and just settle for regular DD 5.1 over optical when casting, but it's a bummer since I have Atmos speakers set up.
post #41646 of 64739 Old 03-02-2017, 01:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Update on Tablet Update:

What? Tablet won't continue to install the Update due to my battery
not at 50% or higher?

Last edited by CleCakYngMfd; 03-02-2017 at 02:11 PM. Reason: About the following posts on losing power. (Duh)
post #41647 of 64739 Old 03-02-2017, 01:34 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleCakYngMfd View Post
Update on Tablet Update:
not at 50% or higher?
this is a secure measure on Android,
in case upgrading is half way and there's a power disruption. It ensures battery has at least 50% to complete upgrade without AC power.
post #41648 of 64739 Old 03-02-2017, 01:37 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Update on Tablet Update:

not at 50% or higher? Uh... I have the AC plugged-in. It ain't gonna
run out! Another bug.

That's the way it's supposed to work. It doesn't take much juice to download, but to install it you have to be at more than 50%. You don't want the tablet crashing in the middle of the update. That would be a problem.
CleCakYngMfd and blatz8 like this.

Religion, race, color, creed...whatever.
post #41649 of 64739 Old 03-02-2017, 01:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1976 Post(s)
Liked: 1177
Quote:
Huh? 14 and lower?

My Backlight is 50 and I select ABC Off/Hi/Med/Low as needed.

ALZ has to be off to get pinpoint stars bright. With ALZ on, the
stars' brightness drop significantly. No other way around it. ALZ
has to be OFF.

ABC dims the image as well.

Sent from my 5054N using Tapatalk
post #41650 of 64739 Old 03-02-2017, 02:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The ABC's of Pinpoint Starlight / HDR and Backlight

Quote:

ABC dims the image as well.

ABC does not crunch the brightness of pinpoint stars. This is 'relative' brightness.
That is, I can still have my very bright stars at the relative brightness of the Backlight
at Low, Med, High, or Off.

ALZ crushes the brightness of the pinpoint stars wherever I have the ABC set.

HDR on Chef's Table S3LE:

Ok, it looks pretty good, but I'm only 6:13 into it so far.

I did a test and paused at 6:13 in. The dude near the brick pillar. The brightness of his back from shoulder to shoulder.
I temporarily slid Contrast to 62 so I could see the peak white blowout easier.

I noticed if I start at a low Backlight and slowly increment up to 30, the medium-to-low brightness seems to go very slowly upward in brightness after 30. The guy's back reaches peak, blow-out brightness at 30 and backs down above 30.

So for HDR, do I still use '40' Backlight or '30' or just leave it 50? (Along with my new normal of 44 Contrast.)

post #41651 of 64739 Old 03-02-2017, 02:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

@shoman94

Pretty in Pink

or

The Pink Panther
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shoman94 [Pink Spots].jpg
Views:	240
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	2002289   Click image for larger version

Name:	shoman94 [Pink Spots - Enhanced].jpg
Views:	250
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	2002297  
Srycantthnkof1 likes this.

post #41652 of 64739 Old 03-02-2017, 02:22 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 2070 Post(s)
Liked: 4261
Quote:
That last episode of Chefs Table season 3, is wow. P Series owners you must watch the last episode, its NetFlix best HDR presentation yet.
I watched about 15 minutes of this episode after you posted, and indeed it is very nice HDR material.

I found myself getting fascinated with the content, beyond the technical presentation -- so I shut it off and will re-watch tonight with the wife.
blatz8 likes this.
post #41653 of 64739 Old 03-02-2017, 02:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
ABC does not crunch the brightness of pinpoint stars. This is 'relative' brightness.
That is, I can still have my very bright stars at the relative brightness of the Backlight
at Low, Med, High, or Off.

ALZ crushes the brightness of the pinpoint stars wherever I have the ABC set.

HDR on Chef's Table S3LE:

Ok, it looks pretty good, but I'm only 6:13 into it so far.

I did a test and paused at 6:13 in. The dude near the brick pillar. The brightness of his back from shoulder to shoulder.
I temporarily slid Contrast to 62 so I could see the peak white blowout easier.

I noticed if I start at a low Backlight and slowly increment up to 30, the medium-to-low brightness seems to go very slowly upward in brightness after 30. The guy's back reaches peak, blow-out brightness at 30 and backs down above 30.

So for HDR, do I still use '40' Backlight or '30' or just leave it 50? (Along with my new normal of 44 Contrast.)

I don't touch contrast for HDR, because at 50 while watching content it doesn't crush white detail or have cause pink hues to show up in white.

It depends on the size of your display, 40 is what I use for my P55, larger displays are brighter so they range between 30-35.

The last episode looks phenomenal.

post #41654 of 64739 Old 03-02-2017, 02:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 963 Post(s)
Liked: 1145
Quote:
Gee, when my battery dies with my Braun Shaver, I plug-in the AC it
runs AND charges at the same time. Why can't the Tablet do the same?

For the same reason Apple iPhones work exactly the same. If the battery drains enough that the phone turns itself off, then you have to plug it in and charge it until it turns itself back on out of "too low battery" mode.

These devices are not shavers.

(For the record, my Braun trimmer and shaver work the same as yours.)

The Seth-o-Plex 2.0 Build Thread - featuring Dolby Atmos/DTS:X 9.4.4 & 4K Dolby Vision!
Vizio | Dual Denon Atmos AVRs | Oppo | SVS | Mirage | Onkyo | Monoprice
post #41655 of 64739 Old 03-02-2017, 02:55 PM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Hey guys,

A few weeks back I was talking with @shortyg83 about some video/audio dropout issues I was having with my PS4 Pro during HDR content. He thought the problem might be the HDMI extensions I was using. I replaced those with the bluejeans FE Series Portsaver cable, but unfortunately I'm still getting the dropouts. Sometimes it won't happen at all, but usually will happen at least once over a 2 hour period. I'm using a 3 foot monoprice certified premium cable from the PS4 to the portsaver, which is connected to the P75. I have tried two different cables of this same type. I honestly thought the dropouts were just part of the newest firmware (I am not signed up for beta releases). Any ideas?
post #41656 of 64739 Old 03-02-2017, 03:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I don't touch contrast for HDR, because at 50
while watching content it doesn't crush white
detail or have cause pink hues to show up in white.

Well, my latest WoW-Disc CalleeBrashun (Arnold!) check showed that the Contrast needed to be backed down from 50 to 44. Maybe 46, but I usually drop it a click or two down, so 44 it is.

I have a Custom 'HDR' Pic Mode setup and have Contrast at 44 and the Backlight at 40. I guess I'll try from 30-to-50 and see what it looks like. That will be a lot of stop-n-restarts. Is there a streaming HDR test video?

Also, how do I copy my SDR Grayscale setting to HDR if I can't have access to the Color Tuner when streaming?

post #41657 of 64739 Old 03-02-2017, 03:15 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 2070 Post(s)
Liked: 4261
Quote:
Originally Posted by daravelli View Post
Hey guys,

A few weeks back I was talking with @shortyg83 about some video/audio dropout issues I was having with my PS4 Pro during HDR content. He thought the problem might be the HDMI extensions I was using. I replaced those with the bluejeans FE Series Portsaver cable, but unfortunately I'm still getting the dropouts. Sometimes it won't happen at all, but usually will happen at least once over a 2 hour period. I'm using a 3 foot monoprice certified premium cable from the PS4 to the portsaver, which is connected to the P75. I have tried two different cables of this same type. I honestly thought the dropouts were just part of the newest firmware (I am not signed up for beta releases). Any ideas?
Any way to test without the portsaver -- the console going direct to the TV?

For the record, I'm using a PS4 Pro on a P50, and am not experiencing dropouts during HDR games. I'm on the latest beta firmware.
post #41658 of 64739 Old 03-02-2017, 03:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Well, my latest WoW-Disc CalleeBrashun (Arnold!) check showed that the Contrast needed to be backed down from 50 to 44. Maybe 46, but I usually drop it a click or two down, so 44 it is.

I have a Custom 'HDR' Pic Mode setup and have Contrast at 44 and the Backlight at 40. I guess I'll try from 30-to-50 and see what it looks like. That will be a lot of stop-n-restarts. Is there a streaming HDR test video?

Also, how do I copy my SDR Grayscale setting to HDR if I can't have access to the Color Tuner when streaming?

You don't want to do that, SDR settings are not compatible with HDR. And lowering contrast lowers brightness of whites. That disc isn't for calibrating HDR, you're lowering the nits of your display, which is what HDR requires, your display peak brightness capabilities.

HDR doesn't use a traditional gamma curve, its absolute. You are really handicapping your display for HDR viewing experience.

DaverJ, k124 and The Coolest like this.
post #41659 of 64739 Old 03-02-2017, 03:53 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by starkies View Post
I get my P65 I bought from Costco delivered tomorrow! So excited, I have been wanting to buy this TV for a while. I am upgrading from a 67" Samsung DLP HLS6767W that I bought from recommendations found on here years ago. I will be mostly streaming PS Vue from a Nvidia Shield TV (2017) and watching stuff from Google Play, Amazon Prime, and Netflix. I have never calibrated a TV before but I am considering getting it calibrated. Any recommendations for a new owner besides wading through this thread?
Don't spend one cent calibrating it. Put it on calibrated bright, 2.2 gamna, turn off all the usual picture enhancing junk, backlight to whatever looks good to you, I use like 60-70. That will get you a pic that will be awesome and a calibration might possibly make it a little more accurate, but you wouldn't know the difference. Just start with the settings I suggest and you will be happy. Don't screw around with any other settings, it's not worth it and will more than likely screw up the picture.
post #41660 of 64739 Old 03-02-2017, 03:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 5206 Post(s)
Liked: 3219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micker99 View Post
Don't spend one cent calibrating it. Put it on calibrated bright, 2.2 gamna, turn off all the usual picture enhancing junk, backlight to whatever looks good to you, I use like 60-70. That will get you a pic that will be awesome and a calibration might possibly make it a little more accurate, but you wouldn't know the difference. Just start with the settings I suggest and you will be happy. Don't screw around with any other settings, it's not worth it and will more than likely screw up the picture.
I agree, I used to use some suggested calibration settings and found that I liked the default "Standard" setting the best and makes HD look like UHD IMO.

lujan
695 Ultra HD
737 HD
4 SD
post #41661 of 64739 Old 03-02-2017, 04:41 PM

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 138
What firmware should I currently have in my TV? Is there an eta on the next update? I'm thinking about trying some new calibration settings but don't want to bother if a software update is coming soon?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #41662 of 64739 Old 03-02-2017, 05:17 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 77
I'm very surprised by some of the whacky settings people are using here -

For Dolby Vision, use Calibrated or Calibrated Dark with EVERYTHING DEFAULT - Vizio has done a really good job of dialing this thing in - unless you have very expensive software + meter, you are almost certainly making the picture less accurate

The -only- thing you should change is the GAMMA - i.e. Ok to go up to 1.8 in very bright room or down to 2.4 in total dark - although even that has gotten more consistent with recent content and some brighter mastering - I haven't found a need to adjust beyond the 2.1-2.2 settings in a while

Don't even touch the Backlight - it doesn't do what you would expect it to
FirelanceRZ likes this.
post #41663 of 64739 Old 03-02-2017, 05:41 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I don't know if this is new, or I just missed it on old firmware for Smartcast. When in "Picture" mode if you click on the words "Picture Mode" you can select a different mode, no more having to cycle through modes with the "Picture" button on the remote.
Dan
post #41664 of 64739 Old 03-02-2017, 05:55 PM

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtydansv View Post
I don't know if this is new, or I just missed it on old firmware for Smartcast. When in "Picture" mode if you click on the words "Picture Mode" you can select a different mode, no more having to cycle through modes with the "Picture" button on the remote.
Dan
That's been a feature since the app launched.
post #41665 of 64739 Old 03-02-2017, 06:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by k124 View Post
I'm very surprised by some of the whacky settings people are using here -

For Dolby Vision, use Calibrated or Calibrated Dark with EVERYTHING DEFAULT - Vizio has done a really good job of dialing this thing in - unless you have very expensive software + meter, you are almost certainly making the picture less accurate

The -only- thing you should change is the GAMMA - i.e. Ok to go up to 1.8 in very bright room or down to 2.4 in total dark - although even that has gotten more consistent with recent content and some brighter mastering - I haven't found a need to adjust beyond the 2.1-2.2 settings in a while

Don't even touch the Backlight - it doesn't do what you would expect it to
Currently touching the backlight is what you want to do, this is per beardontwalk, and shoman. The mid tones are over luminanced, so dropping the backlight down to 30-35 on P65-75, and 40-45 on P55-50, flattens the curve, so that certain luminance values don't get clipped.

This is the case because the last few firmwares caused this bump. So currently lowering the backlight fixes it.

Last edited by DisplayCalNoob; 03-02-2017 at 06:48 PM.
post #41666 of 64739 Old 03-02-2017, 06:44 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by godfatherip View Post
Wow, I wish it was that simple for me. I have a P50 and a X3300W and nothing I do fixes the DD+ over ARC issues. I've done a factory reset, did the unplug and hold the power reset, set speakers off, changed between CEC and ARC only, set the output to bitstream instead of auto, tried half a dozen different HDMI cables, turned off HDMI subsampling, and nothing fixes the DD+ over ARC audio dropouts for me. I didn't get my AVR until after 3.0.13.5 so I don't know if it would have worked on the earlier firmware but other Denon owners have said ARC worked for them on 3.0.12 but not 3.0.13. It is very frustrating that it works for some people but not for me, maybe something is broken with my TV or AVR. I've pretty much given up at this point and just settle for regular DD 5.1 over optical when casting, but it's a bummer since I have Atmos speakers set up.
Only thing I could get to work with my P65 and X3300W was setting the audio to Bitstream. Everything else is choppy. Problem with Bitstream is that it no longer outputs DD+ to the AVR. I don't have an Atmos setup, so I suppose DD 5.1 over optical would be fine, but I just want things to work they way they are supposed to.
post #41667 of 64739 Old 03-02-2017, 08:37 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Official Vizio 2016 P Series Owners Thread (UHD/HDR/DV) No Price Talk Please

Think I need to send the tablet back to Vizio. After the update, it's just an infinite loop of the splash screen coming up and staying frozen. Anyone else have this issue too?

I finally got it to the Android Recovery screen. Waited until the battery died, then plugged it in, then held the power button and volume down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by FirelanceRZ; 03-02-2017 at 08:42 PM.
post #41668 of 64739 Old 03-02-2017, 09:46 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 7
I got a P55 a couple days ago and notice light bleed in the lower left corner. It is only noticeable when the room is dark and screen is dark but it is easy to see even if you aren't looking for it. Images are attached, they are from the beginning of the first episode of Stranger Things if anyone wants to compare.

Is this something that can be improved or fixed with settings?

Does anyone think this is a bad panel or am I being too picky?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PictureOne.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	171.6 KB
ID:	2003049   Click image for larger version

Name:	PictureTwo.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	2003057  
post #41669 of 64739 Old 03-02-2017, 10:35 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am waiting for my P75 to arrive and have a question regarding the tv legs. Can they be installed without having to lay the TV flat?
post #41670 of 64739 Old 03-02-2017, 10:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1066 Post(s)
Liked: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by aiekon View Post
I am waiting for my P75 to arrive and have a question regarding the tv legs. Can they be installed without having to lay the TV flat?
I wouldn't even attempt to install the legs with the tv flat. The tv requires 2 people to set it up. Lift tv up lower it onto legs and screw them in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
2016/2017 vizio p-series - nice pic(k)! / netflix , best value , D7000 , dolby vision , latest firmware - 6.0.18.1 - previous 5.0.16.1 , Vizio , Vudu

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page