Official Vizio 2016/2017 P Series Owners ONLY Thread UHD/HDR/DV No Price Talk Please - Page 1397 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 288702Likes

post #41881 of 64686 Old 03-08-2017, 01:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2006 Post(s)
Liked: 1355
Not to get in the middle of a flame session, but...

Vizio just released today 3/8 a new iPhone Smartcast app that allows you to update the slider settings incrementally like the Android app.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #41882 of 64686 Old 03-08-2017, 01:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 2969 Post(s)
Liked: 2627
Red face

As frustrating as my experience was with Repairing/Replacing my P75. It was no where near what people are experiencing with the Sony X940D. The smearing issue is real and even some of the Sony owner’s are conceding that it is likely that it is an issue with all 940d TVs.

Just look at the post below. This is what bad customer service looks like. Vizio was always responsive to my requests. They always tried to fix the issue even when it would cost them extra money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffMaltese View Post
“I'm pretty pissed about this whole experience. I seriously feel like I was duped. There wasn't a hint of any issues with the content they were showing on the display model in the store. The smearing/ghosting/trailing/poor response rate....whatever you want to call it is ridiculous. I have never seen anything like this on any tv, not to mention one that costs this much.

Sony is willing to continue to exchange tv's but I don't really think it's worth the trouble. I'm not looking for a replacement that's "not as bad." B&H Photo is unwilling to do anything stating that Sony is telling them that's just how the tv's are. However, when I communicate with Sony directly they concede that there is an issue, with my specific unit, not that there is a problem in general.

I'm still waiting on AMEX's decision on a chargeback. My only other hope is that Sony says they will consider exchanging for one of the newer models when they are available, which they stated wasn't an option initially, however, I was persistent. So they two models I'm considering are the 900e and 940e, but I'm not really that interested giving them much more money at this point.”
I would much rather have a company stand by their product and honor their warranty than have a company that simply rests on their reputation for making a “Quality” product but doesn’t actually try to help you when it goes bad.
shoman94 likes this.
post #41883 of 64686 Old 03-08-2017, 01:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbuchanan813 View Post
Truthfully don't use the remote much . After the initial settings setup I use a harmony elite and a roku ultra . The harmony let's me change inputs and everything so really never a need for the tablet anymore . I feel personally the roku provides a better experience

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yea I figured that. I think I'd use the Harmony also. One nice thing about the Samsung is that they're "smart" remote detects everything hooked up to the TV and acts like a universal remote. Having said that, the Harmony is probably still the best way to go with more options.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #41884 of 64686 Old 03-08-2017, 03:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2073 Post(s)
Liked: 730
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofclaus View Post

Any luck with a solution to
the squealing while muting?
It is driving me nuts!

Not yet. What devices are giving you trouble? If you do any Mirror-Casting of the Tablet, do you have missing audio?

- PjThis is The End-Age GenerationTime is Running OutQuakes, Sinkholes, Meteors
EvilutionMankind Was CreatedWe Didn't Come From ApesThere Was a Worldwide Flood!
The End of This Age is Near!I'm Ready For The Rapture!Are You Ready?The Time is Now!
post #41885 of 64686 Old 03-08-2017, 03:21 PM

Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Afternoon, gents!

In between my return of my LG B6 and the arrival of the Sony A1E, I'll be using a P65 - ordered from Costco for $1550 last week, being delivered tomorrow.

Reading through the thread has me interested to see what a FALD can do, it's only the 2nd LCD I've used since my old edgelit JS8500, so I can recommend it to some of my friends who arent about that expensive OLED life.

#HozayCinema 9.1

Sonus Faber Venere | Verus Grand Center
Emotiva XPA-3 - A700 - A500 | SVS SB16 Ultra | SVS Ultra Surrounds
Vizio P75-C1 | Denon AVR-X4400 | Sony PlayStation 4 | Oppo UDP-203
post #41886 of 64686 Old 03-08-2017, 03:31 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleCakYngMfd View Post
Not yet. What devices are giving you trouble? If you do any Mirror-Casting of the Tablet, do you have missing audio?

I haven't noticed the issue while casting. I believe it only happens with my HTPC.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
post #41887 of 64686 Old 03-08-2017, 03:59 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleCakYngMfd View Post
2nd Place Award, next to the 'Delivery Truck Post'.

Context is everything but I think post 40839 wins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordj View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL44516 View Post
any update on input lag with HDR?
43 ms... But if you hold the controller really close to your face it feels like 20ms.
Also, Vizio agreed to do on on site swap for my TV with the backlight issue. In a couple weeks, I'll give an update on how that turns out.
post #41888 of 64686 Old 03-08-2017, 04:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortyg83 View Post
Most of the settings you have posted are by no means accurate.
Using things like WoW Discs will only allow you to calibrate to
what your eye is capable of seeing...

I only said MY Grayscale Display is the best ever, by my eyes, compared
to what my eyes saw at the Firmware Default.

So by eye, it was that far off without a meter telling it was too green
with the Offset. That's not too hard to understand.

I did not see good Grayscale with either Vizio's White Ramp Pattern
nor with WoW Grayscale Patterns. So, non-meter-wise, I made visual
improvements over the Firmware's default with my specific panel.

...and even then it ends up relying too much on your personal opinion
and basically zero actual data.

Personal opinion? I adjust the Contrast and Brightness at the brink of
clipping according to the WoW Disc test patterns. I'm within one click
of going over or under. How's that personal opinion?

...Meters are the only way to get the picture to be accurate.

I can't and don't argue that. Sure, metering is best. But without that
for me now, plus I'm not having my Display Pro-Calibrated, Eye-Adjusting
is the next best thing when the Grayscale is visually way-off. No meter
needed to show me that. Without a meter, I just don't know the 'exact'
numbers of how far off. But, I can sure see green when it's supposed to
be gray.

Manually adjusting is better than putting up with the uglier Grayscale/Colors
on my 2013 M40 - until I finally made eye-adjustments. Same with my
2014 P50. I couldn't let the default alone. It was bad.

In fact a lot of the settings you have posted throws my [Display]
way off when I put it on my Meter.

Why would you do that when yours is already meter-accurate?

I'm only speaking to the non-metered readers here, who may
wish to try
my settings as a starting point. One can always
Reset the Color Tuner if they wish. I'd venture to say only
few people ever tried to Eye-Adjust, anyway.

But that is fine, if it is what you like there is no problem with it,
but don't keep telling people how perfect your by eye calibration is.
It may be perfect for you, it is not perfectly accurate.

Where did I ever say my Eye-Adjustments = Metered results?

Anyway, these latest Firmware Releases seem to be much better
with the Grayscale, so just about every non-meter owner here
probably need not Eye-Adjust. Just the adventurer at heart.

Oh, I redid the Grayscale again with a new method, just for you.

With no other way at this time, Disney and other consumer test
patterns have their place, yes/no?

The WoW Disc Contrast Test Pattern (the 2-Vertical Bars Blended)
confirms my Contrast to be at 47. Anything higher clips.

So, while one test pic on the WoW Disc shows a cloud getting
clipped at and above 45, I've kept the Contrast at 47.

Is this clear as mud?

pos1121 likes this.

EvilutionMankind Was CreatedWe Didn't Come From ApesThere Was a Worldwide Flood!
The End of This Age is Near!I'm Ready For The Rapture!Are You Ready?The Time is Now!
post #41889 of 64686 Old 03-08-2017, 04:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofclaus View Post

I haven't noticed the issue while casting.

Yeah, Cast-able Apps work fine for me, also. But Mirror-Casting a video of what's being shown on the Tablet has the dead audio issue. (The 'Cast Screen' feature.) Not 100% of the time, but probably around 50% of the time it happens and I have to redo it again to get audio.

@Matt McRae

post #41890 of 64686 Old 03-08-2017, 04:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpcz View Post

...The green or purple bars haven't been fixed.

For the first time the other day, (while Eye-Adjusting - Better than Metering!) I saw a magenta line at top on my SamSang-a-Song Boo-Ray Prayer. It was gone when I had switched away and back to that Input.

This is different with my Sony DVR. A permanent magenta bar at bottom in 1080i output. I adjusted my Vertical to -1 to get rid of it.

post #41891 of 64686 Old 03-08-2017, 04:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 224 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5739 Post(s)
Liked: 3835
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisplayCalNoob View Post
I think you may be mistaking what those nit numbers are. When you say the KS9800 had a very bright picture, you weren't seeing a 1000 nits image, there isn't a current display that can reach and sustain a 1000 nits full screen. Those nits are limited to highlights, light sources( sun, spot lights,etc). Although if you look at the RTINGS stats for the Samsung it falls short in comparison to the P75 in fullscreen brightness.

Most UHD Bluray content barely exceeds 400 nits and only exceeds that during direct shots of the sun, spot lights or highlights. And a lot of content exceed the capabilities of Sony Z9D, especially those color graded on the Dolby Pulsar at 4000 nits.

In order to not lose the highlight detail, tone mapping is required. Samsung doesn't use Dolby tone mapping, but Vizio does. Dolby version handles much higher nit values than whats available from Samsung or Sony.

The Vizio P75 does 600 nits full screen and highlights and so forth. The 65" is 50 nits lower.

Either way you are getting a great display, so unless Dolby Vision doesn't matter to you then go with the Samsung KS9800(pricey). Just beware of the edge lit models(can't hit peak brightness during HDR content, performs well for test though).

Sent from my 5054N using Tapatalk
I can tell you that while the test on rtings have no APL, I have taken some bright spot readings in Man of Steel. Some of the bright flashes from the guns in the open 15 minutes are giving me readings of approx 600nits. These spots are very small...maybe 2% but the screen has some APL. These test they do are all well and good but real viewing is more important to me.
All I know is that when I watch movies I get inky blacks and very bright highlights that make me squint in a 5 nit room.I would not want something brighter than that I don't think. My opinion is that movies are holding us back from the potential these Displays have. The colorist should not be using 4k nits displays for final editing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bklynblaze View Post
Sorry I'll clarify for you..I did extensive research on the KS9800. Didn't look into the Vizio's much therefore I had a question about it and thought this would be a great place to ask. Thanks for your help.
Bootnylee likes this.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2018 Sony LCD Master Series Calibration Thread
Sony XBR-75Z9F, Vizio M50-E1, Pioneer Kuro 5020, Marantz SR6013, AppleTV-4K, XBox One & (X), NVIDIA SHIELD.v1, FireTV 4K-HDR, HDHR Connects, QNAP 431+
post #41892 of 64686 Old 03-08-2017, 05:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1934 Post(s)
Liked: 1160
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoman94 View Post
I can tell you that while the test on rtings have no APL, I have taken some bright spot readings in Man of Steel. Some of the bright flashes from the guns in the open 15 minutes are giving me readings of approx 600nits. These spots are very small...maybe 2% but the screen has some APL. These test they do are all well and good but real viewing is more important to me.
All I know is that when I watch movies I get inky blacks and very bright highlights that make me squint in a 5 nit room.I would not want something brighter than that I don't think. My opinion is that movies are holding us back from the potential these Displays have. The colorist should not be using 4k nits displays for final editing.
Warner Bros Lego Movie has some content that reaches above 2300 nits. Dolby goal was to get us as close as possible to what the human eye see.

Those nits may not be necessarily used for highlights, but colors under direct light. So a business sign lit by the sun, will be bright without washing out and appearing under saturated, but retains detail and look natural.

Its ultimately up to the director and colorist how those nits are used.

Personally I just prefer that all possible detail is visible, and looks natural, and have appears as if I'm looking through a window clarity, a spotless window to be exact.

post #41893 of 64686 Old 03-08-2017, 05:40 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by naustin View Post
Not to get in the middle of a flame session, but...

Vizio just released today 3/8 a new iPhone Smartcast app that allows you to update the slider settings incrementally like the Android app.
It's usually the android version of apps being months behind. That's crazy.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
post #41894 of 64686 Old 03-08-2017, 05:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 224 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5739 Post(s)
Liked: 3835
Quote:
Warner Bros Lego Movie has some content that reaches above 2300 nits. Dolby goal was to get us as close as possible to what the human eye see.

Those nits may not be necessarily used for highlights, but colors under direct light. So a business sign lit by the sun, will be bright without washing out and appearing under saturated, but retains detail and look natural.

Its ultimately up to the director and colorist how those nits are used.

Personally I just prefer that all possible detail is visible, and looks natural, and have appears as if I'm looking through a window clarity, a spotless window to be exact.

My point is that there is no point to it. TV's can't hit that nits.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2018 Sony LCD Master Series Calibration Thread
Sony XBR-75Z9F, Vizio M50-E1, Pioneer Kuro 5020, Marantz SR6013, AppleTV-4K, XBox One & (X), NVIDIA SHIELD.v1, FireTV 4K-HDR, HDHR Connects, QNAP 431+
post #41895 of 64686 Old 03-08-2017, 05:55 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
What's the nits on the P-series? That's one of my concerns is that it doesn't get bright enough.
My nits is bright son. Real bright

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk
post #41896 of 64686 Old 03-08-2017, 06:01 PM

Quote:
You're right I was..and I thank lujan for answering me. I like bright screens with white whites that pop, that's my preference. I checked out the Samsung FS9800 at my Best Buy and was floored by the picture, and part of the reason was the bright picture and contrast and also how rich the colors looked. I also know the nits are over 1,000 on that display. The Vizio is a great set and the prices on them are amazing for what you get but I like what I like.
Lol why not GOOGLE "P SERIES NITS" instead of posting how you were played by BB?

post #41897 of 64686 Old 03-08-2017, 06:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Liked: 358
Got the email today stating my replacement P75 is on its way. Hopefully it's a "recertified" panel and not just another replacement!

Xbox Live: General PATT0N

Last edited by rightintel; 03-08-2017 at 06:13 PM.
post #41898 of 64686 Old 03-08-2017, 06:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoman94 View Post
My point is that there is no point to it. TV's can't hit that nits.
True, but you still benefit through the use of Dolby's "tone mapping". Also the content is then future proof, so when home displays catch up, you wouldn't need to double, triple or quadruple dip.

reallynotnick likes this.
post #41899 of 64686 Old 03-08-2017, 06:16 PM

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 380
Got the 3.0.14.0 update on my P65. Not on the beta list. I've been doing the Service Check every day for the last week, and it finally worked tonight. Glad I don't have to change the Picture Mode from Stretch to Normal every time I cast something anymore!
post #41900 of 64686 Old 03-08-2017, 06:25 PM

I'm watching Dr Strange right now! The colors are absolutely amazing! Un freaking real!

post #41901 of 64686 Old 03-08-2017, 08:14 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 2520 Post(s)
Liked: 4922
A whole lot of posts have been removed. Some members have lost posting privileges in this thread.

This is the Vizio P-Series OWNERS THREAD. If you don't own one, don't post here. Period. See the VERY FIRST POST for details.

I also wasted a lot of time removing responses to the off-topic posts. Page after page of bickering. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND members ignore trolling posts and report them rather than responding. Makes my job a whole lot easier.

Thanks.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #41902 of 64686 Old 03-08-2017, 08:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by blatz8 View Post
I'm watching Dr Strange right now! The colors are absolutely amazing! Un freaking real!

UHD disc or Vudu?
blatz8 likes this.
post #41903 of 64686 Old 03-08-2017, 08:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffactoryxx View Post
UHD disc or Vudu?
My guess would be neither.

reallynotnick likes this.
post #41904 of 64686 Old 03-08-2017, 08:42 PM

Quote:
UHD disc or Vudu?
Redbox Blu-ray on PS4 PRO. $2.06 lol

post #41905 of 64686 Old 03-08-2017, 08:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blatz8 View Post
Redbox Blu-ray on PS4 PRO. $2.06 lol

Ohh wow so not even 4k and it looks that damn good. I'm going to have to rent.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Emsand1 likes this.
post #41906 of 64686 Old 03-08-2017, 08:44 PM

Quote:
My guess would be neither.

? I missed you on this one. Can you help me figure out what you're talking about? Thanks

post #41907 of 64686 Old 03-08-2017, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Ohh wow so not even 4k and it looks that damn good. I'm going to have to rent.

Si. Literally had to stop myself from saying WOW out loud while watching. Fingers crossed the TV keeps performing. Cheers

post #41908 of 64686 Old 03-08-2017, 08:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2006 Post(s)
Liked: 1355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Srycantthnkof1 View Post
It's usually the android version of apps being months behind. That's crazy.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
Probably because the M and P series shipped with Android tablets not iPods. Still I'm glad to get better functionality on the iTunes App. Better late than never. The Android version got incremential adjustments months ago.
post #41909 of 64686 Old 03-08-2017, 08:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

For those of you who use Plex or External Media player like Roku, what would be the best format to rip my personal Blurays to for optimal viewing on this TV?

Typically I have ripped to mkv with 7.1 intact and no compression (20-30gb). They are them out in my network drive.

post #41910 of 64686 Old 03-09-2017, 04:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2150 Post(s)
Liked: 2270
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpgxsvcd View Post
As frustrating as my experience was with Repairing/Replacing my P75. It was no where near what people are experiencing with the Sony X940D. The smearing issue is real and even some of the Sony owner’s are conceding that it is likely that it is an issue with all 940d TVs.

Just look at the post below. This is what bad customer service looks like. Vizio was always responsive to my requests. They always tried to fix the issue even when it would cost them extra money.

I would much rather have a company stand by their product and honor their warranty than have a company that simply rests on their reputation for making a “Quality” product but doesn’t actually try to help you when it goes bad.
fortunately based on my experience with Sony, they will replace the TV with a different set. A few years ago I had an x900a that was replaced due to really terrible banding, and Sony was willing to replace it with the newer 900b.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
2016/2017 vizio p-series - nice pic(k)! / netflix , best value , D7000 , dolby vision , latest firmware - 6.0.18.1 - previous 5.0.16.1 , Vizio , Vudu

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page