Official Vizio 2016/2017 P Series Owners ONLY Thread UHD/HDR/DV No Price Talk Please - Page 1553 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 288502Likes

post #46561 of 64119 Old 05-19-2017, 05:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2037 Post(s)
Liked: 722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmzz2 View Post

I installed Kodi on my Vizio Tablet and
Cast it using Local Cast. It works great.

I use 'AllCast' and notice I can't find a way
to bring up Subtitles and stuff like I did before
on my old 'AmyZone' box. (Not in use since
I left a log option on and ran out of space.)

With 'Switch for Kodi', I have the ability to request
a Subtitle, due to all the navigating controls being
there when watching content on the Tablet.

('Switch for Kodi' lets you watch on the Tablet or
Cast to the Display.)

- PjThis is The End-Age GenerationTime is Running OutQuakes, Sinkholes, Meteors
EvilutionMankind Was CreatedWe Didn't Come From ApesThere Was a Worldwide Flood!
The End of This Age is Near!I'm Ready For The Rapture!Are You Ready?The Time is Now!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #46562 of 64119 Old 05-19-2017, 05:18 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by comminus View Post
Thanks for the reply, I'll definitely give them a call after work. I get the manufacturer implementation conflict issue, it is surprising however that it was flawless until 3.2.8.3 so I'm more hopeful that a regression can be resolved compared to this being a long-standing issue.

Vizio Tech support is a waste of time with anything other than "my TV is dead". Spent like 2hrs on the phone (105 minutes to be exact) with them regarding their own "top of the line" soundbar ARC issues with my P65 and it was a waste of time. In the end they wanted to send out a house-call and after 2 weeks never heard from anyone. Finally I get a automated call from the "tech service company" that someone will first call me in 3 days to firm up an appointment. That was about 2 weeks ago. I finally got a call from VIZIO asking me if I had my appointment. I just told them to "fuggetaboutit" and disconnected ARC and just switched over to optical. Biggest problem with the T.S. is that the "front line" person you speak just follows a silly script and then keeps running back to (I assume) a "real" tech with a 3-5 minute hold between EVERY SINGLE QUESTION AND ANSWER. I was ready to pull out my hair with the constant "may I put you on hold for 3-5 minutes."

Oh, I was having very similar problem to yours but this was a P65-C1 & VIZIO SB4451 sound bar which I bought ONLY BECAUSE I wanted to keep the same vendors to avoid any "it's the other products fault" issues.
post #46563 of 64119 Old 05-19-2017, 05:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilstain View Post

Anyone having weird issues with Cast material
jumping around while attempting to play it?

Using the SmartCast Mobile app on my phone,
or on the tablet, I've been trying to check out some
of the free TV shows, most of the free stuff looks
like it runs through a service called Crackle.

I tried to watch the first episode of The Tick,
but it got about five minutes in, and kept looping
back 30-40 seconds, playing that part over again,
then skipping back again (sometimes further,
sometimes not as far back).

The Fox Sports Sometimes-Go crApp does this also.

I watched Cavs via the TNT App (now Cast-abled) and
no 'hit-skips' with it, though a few times here-n-there it
'down-shifted' in resolution.

Oh... game-time! GO CAVS!

EvilutionMankind Was CreatedWe Didn't Come From ApesThere Was a Worldwide Flood!
The End of This Age is Near!I'm Ready For The Rapture!Are You Ready?The Time is Now!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #46564 of 64119 Old 05-19-2017, 05:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Anderson View Post

Watched a bit of Netflix's Abstract last night,
particularly episode 7 - the one on photography.

4K Dolby Vision and it looked absolutely incredible.

But I'm noticing that Dolby Vision stuff tends to do
this odd fading in and out between scenes, presumably
as the backlights transition, whereas HDR10 doesn't seem
to do that (or at least not as noticeably).

Does it do this with the ALZ Off, also?

Firmware 3.2.8.3 is better and reduced the Backlight 'pumping' with ALZ On.

post #46565 of 64119 Old 05-19-2017, 05:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked: 982
Quote:
Originally Posted by nattefrost View Post
strange flash drive works fine with my 2015 M50, even jpeg are not loading on the 2017 M series
Make sure that it's formatted into exFAT and not NTFS.

LG 65B7 | T95N with CoreELEC | Vizio SB3851-D0 | Calibration + Settings (TBD)
Vizio M60-D1 | T95M with LibreELEC | Calibration + Settings
Dell UP2516D | Le Potato with CoreELEC (Development/testing platform)
Vizio M55-C2 (Ex) | Calibration + Settings
post #46566 of 64119 Old 05-19-2017, 05:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blatz8 View Post

Cool! I just noticed that the table now shows
"HDR Dolbly Vision" in the settings/display
info section...

It'll show the HDR type onscreen, too. Press Input
once to see it. (With the new remote, press Info.)

post #46567 of 64119 Old 05-19-2017, 05:51 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 694 Post(s)
Liked: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiller4128 View Post
Also, I can comfortably get a 55" tv as that's what I currently own but I've heard the IPS panel on the 55" kills brightness and color accuracy and that it's better to go with the 65"...I can get a 65" if I have to because it's better but I feel 65" would be too big for my room...any advice there as well?
65" is not too big for your room. I don't even know what size room you have, and it doesn't matter. It's not too big.

As far as the Vizio vs the Samsung. I had the Vizio, loved it. Gave it to a good friend and got the KS8000 because I wanted the best gaming lag performance in HDR mode.

So here's the deal -- the Samsung is "fine." And every time I see the Vizio at my friends I'm in awe. It's a dramatically better looking TV mainly due to the full array backlight. The nit values don't mean a thing, and in a dark room, the Vizio will blind you when watching the right kind of HDR material. Get the Vizio. Highest recommendation.

I got the Samsung because I know either TV is just a stopgap until two or three years from now when HDR technology gets sorted out and perfected. I will likely end up with whatever high end Vizio they offer at that time. The P series is such a staggeringly impressive product at any price, and it's cheap in comparison to others.
Brandon B and Oldways7 like this.
post #46568 of 64119 Old 05-19-2017, 06:34 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Anderson View Post
Watched a bit of Netflix's Abstract last night, particularly episode 7 - the one on photography. 4K Dolby Vision and it looked absolutely incredible. But I'm noticing that Dolby Vision stuff tends to do this odd fading in and out between scenes, presumably as the backlights transition, whereas HDR10 doesn't seem to do that (or at least not as noticeably). Is that fairly normal behavior?
Just watched ep 7 and did not notice any unsual fading in and out between most scenes. There were a few, where it seemed like there was a 'transition effect' like turning a light dimmer switch from low to high smoothly and quickly, but it felt to me that the effect was intentional and not an issue with the tv.

Main: Sony 75XBR900F
Bedroom: Sony 65XBR900E
Desktop: Sony 49XBR900E

Retired Units: Vizio P65-F, Vizio M653DSV, Samsung UN40KU6290
post #46569 of 64119 Old 05-19-2017, 06:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 5
720p 120hz

I have a 3D VIP device and watch 3D movie on my P55-C1 and it work great but unfortunatly output of device is only 720p. Since tv only have 60Hz at 720p the result with fine tuning setting still fliker a bit on bright scene. 3D VIP can output 720p 120Hz and I would like to know if with fimware it could be possible to get 120Hz in 720p or it is not possible to get it.
post #46570 of 64119 Old 05-19-2017, 07:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked: 848
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleCakYngMfd View Post
Does it do this with the ALZ Off, also?

Firmware 3.2.8.3 is better and reduced the Backlight 'pumping' with ALZ On.

I will try turning it off and see if that's what it is. I have the latest public firmware.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtexan999 View Post
Just watched ep 7 and did not notice any unsual fading in and out between most scenes. There were a few, where it seemed like there was a 'transition effect' like turning a light dimmer switch from low to high smoothly and quickly, but it felt to me that the effect was intentional and not an issue with the tv.

It did it in Iron Fist as well. No big deal either way. Just found it odd that it did it in DV but not HDR10 content.

"Never believe any quote you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
post #46571 of 64119 Old 05-19-2017, 08:08 PM

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 120
So I got my P65-C1 delivered from Costco on Thursday and have been playing with it the past few days, and it's damn near perfect. Surpassed my expectations coming from an old Panasonic plasma, and especially after trying out a Samsung KS8000 back in November and returning it. Panel seemed in perfect shape after CEVA delivered it, just gobsmacked at the quality really.

Only tonight I go to take out the wall mounting screws so I can install it on a new stand that will fit on my current entertainment center, but the two bolts on the right side are stripped or the brackets inside are broken or something, and they just free spin and won't come out at all. Not too enthused about having to return this and play panel lottery again.
post #46572 of 64119 Old 05-19-2017, 08:14 PM

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by -griffy- View Post
So I got my P65-C1 delivered from Costco on Thursday and have been playing with it the past few days, and it's damn near perfect. Surpassed my expectations coming from an old Panasonic plasma, and especially after trying out a Samsung KS8000 back in November and returning it. Panel seemed in perfect shape after CEVA delivered it, just gobsmacked at the quality really.

Only tonight I go to take out the wall mounting screws so I can install it on a new stand that will fit on my current entertainment center, but the two bolts on the right side are stripped or the brackets inside are broken or something, and they just free spin and won't come out at all. Not too enthused about having to return this and play panel lottery again.
They were probably never screwed in properly from the beginning. You should be able to get them out . Try using some sort of magnet to see if the pull out. Those don't go in properly unless you hold tv at a certain angle.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
post #46573 of 64119 Old 05-19-2017, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steba View Post
They were probably never screwed in properly from the beginning. You should be able to get them out . Try using some sort of magnet to see if the pull out. Those don't go in properly unless you hold tv at a certain angle.

Well I managed to screw the "loose" ones all the way in so they tightened up, then I was able to unscrew them normally from the back. Fingers crossed.
SamuraiXSendai likes this.
post #46574 of 64119 Old 05-19-2017, 08:41 PM

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by -griffy- View Post
Well I managed to screw the "loose" ones all the way in so they tightened up, then I was able to unscrew them normally from the back. Fingers crossed.
Ok cool. I'm sure it will be fine .

post #46575 of 64119 Old 05-19-2017, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steba View Post
Ok cool. I'm sure it will be fine .

Yup I got the new stand on, crisis averted! Chef's Table looks gorgeous in Dolby Vision.
DaverJ, Oldways7 and Daemon11 like this.
post #46576 of 64119 Old 05-19-2017, 09:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 249
Ugh, very frustrating exchange with B&H Photo with my P75-C1. The panel came broken, left side of screen a mess and lines running vertically across the entire screen.

Get an email just after chatting with a rep. Had the paperwork to fill out PDF, exchange # of new one, link to shipping company to track. Now over 3 Days later, still no update. I've talked to CSRs through chat the last two days, as the shipping company should have updated. It still hasn't updated. I'm one day shipping from their wearhouse. Order to received, 3 days I think (ordered on a Saturday night, late). Lightning fast IMO. Now I can't even figure out if it's coming Monday.

I'm disabled, and need help setting all this up. I'm hoping I can throw the driver $40 to give me a hand. I have one other to help at almost all times.

It's really sad, as I'm so excited to use this TV. I have the Xbox One S and PS4, which both do 4K, HDR , for gaming and apps. The broken TV works, but the left side is really messed up. The right side and part of the middle are fine I think. I REALLY want to test 4K and HDR, but refuse to not see it, for the first time, not in it's full glory. It's torture not to, especially with the replacement taking much longer than first told, when I called after plugging in the first time.

Sorry to rant. I've been reading this and every other Vizio P series thread. I'm not a patient person and I ordered through B&H because of their speed. Having a broken TV you can't begin to take advantage of, is worse than no TV!
post #46577 of 64119 Old 05-19-2017, 10:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 249
Cannot fix above post on my phone. PS4 Pro is my console, which makes a difference.
post #46578 of 64119 Old 05-19-2017, 10:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 65
For anyone with an Xbox One S, the Amazon app now supports 4K/HDR. Just a heads-up.
post #46579 of 64119 Old 05-19-2017, 11:54 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 673 Post(s)
Liked: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by scitek View Post
For anyone with an Xbox One S, the Amazon app now supports 4K/HDR. Just a heads-up.
It is about time... wonder how long it will last.....
post #46580 of 64119 Old 05-20-2017, 12:58 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 485 Post(s)
Liked: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiller4128 View Post
Ok so I'm trying to decide between a 2016/2017 Vizio P Series or the Samsung KS8000 while I can still get my hands on one. My living room is entirely controlled by indoor lighting with no outside light usually coming in. I like 4K HDR Movies as well as 4K Gaming. Most use is at night but sometimes during the day on weekends as well.

What concerns me most about the Vizio is the "nits" rating. It's stated to get 600 Nits while the Samsung can reach 1000 Nits. Is there an obvious lack of brightness on the Vizio P series?

Also, I can comfortably get a 55" tv as that's what I currently own but I've heard the IPS panel on the 55" kills brightness and color accuracy and that it's better to go with the 65"...I can get a 65" if I have to because it's better but I feel 65" would be too big for my room...any advice there as well?
I have both in the house (well, the curved version KS8500). Get the Vizio and don't look back. HDR looks more impressive on the Vizio due to local dimming. The Samsung has obvious edge lighting zones, and can't highlight smaller details like the Vizio can. In no world would I recommend the KS8000 over the P65, unless you have no curtains and face the sun more often than not.

As for size, never think a TV is too big. A 65" is big until you get used to it a few days later, and then you wonder why you've limited yourself to a particular size for so long. I can understand if you have an 80" and sit like 6 feet away, but 65 is not a humongous difference from 55 in terms of seating distance comfort.

Mad Lust Envy

Last edited by Raven Crimson; 05-20-2017 at 01:18 AM.
post #46581 of 64119 Old 05-20-2017, 05:06 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 12
So do most people have Marshmellow on their tablets? Mine is still showing up-to-date with Lollipop.

I'm dragging my feet on doing the factory reset to save myself the hassle of re-installing Kodi and all the other apps, but unless someone else has an idea of how to force the update, sounds like I'm going to have to bite the bullet and just do it.

With Vizio dropping the tablet in 2017 is it safe to assume they'll stop supporting it and we can kiss future updates goodbye?
post #46582 of 64119 Old 05-20-2017, 06:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 203 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5071 Post(s)
Liked: 3581
I watched The Great Wall in DV on Vudu last night. I am blown away. First time since Pacific Rim. I feel like the filming and grading is done by the same studio. The way the camera planning is done and the themed music during the movie was so familiar. I definitely recommend this along with Pacific Rim!

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk
Rico167 likes this.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sony LCD Master Series Calibration Thread
My P75-C1 Calibration Settings (5.0.14.1).
Sony XBR-75Z9F, Vizio P75-C1, Pioneer Kuro 5020, Pioneer VSX-1131, XBox One(X), Wii, NVIDIA SHIELD.v1, FireTV 4K-HDR, HDHR Connects, QNAP 431+
post #46583 of 64119 Old 05-20-2017, 07:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1780 Post(s)
Liked: 4046
Quote:
Originally Posted by scitek View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by meduzadg View Post
It is about time... wonder how long it will last.....
MS did an official announcement, so it should be permanent.

https://news.xbox.com/2017/05/19/4k-...ideo-app-xbox/
post #46584 of 64119 Old 05-20-2017, 07:28 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 673 Post(s)
Liked: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post
MS did an official announcement, so it should be permanent.

https://news.xbox.com/2017/05/19/4k-...ideo-app-xbox/
Nice. Thank you for sharing.
SamuraiXSendai likes this.
post #46585 of 64119 Old 05-20-2017, 07:42 AM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Coolest View Post
Pretty sure the feet are keyed, so you can't insert them the wrong way.
I filed the keys off the feet and turned them inwards.
shoman94 and The Coolest like this.
post #46586 of 64119 Old 05-20-2017, 07:44 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoman94 View Post
I watched The Great Wall in DV on Vudu last night. I am blown away. First time since Pacific Rim. I feel like the filming and grading is done by the same studio. The way the camera planning is done and the themed music during the movie was so familiar. I definitely recommend this along with Pacific Rim!

PASSENGERS is also a fantastic 4k Blu-Ray. Not the greatest movie in the world but the picture quality was surprisingly fantastic. Very bright and vibrant for much of the film with some awesome dark scenes against bright highlights to really bring out that Vizio FALD magic.
shoman94, Torqdog and Oldways7 like this.
post #46587 of 64119 Old 05-20-2017, 08:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 4637 Post(s)
Liked: 2692
Quote:
@Matt McRae Can we have an option to hide picture modes? I only use Game, Calibrated and Calibrated Dark. I would love to only cycle between those 3.
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleCakYngMfd View Post
...Also, have it operate like the Inputs. IOW, when cycling through the Pic Modes, don't active each Mode until the 'animated underline' completes like it does with the Input selecting.

Oh-oh... please bring back the 'Blank Screen' feature, too.

@Matt McRae

@Matt McRae

Also, please bring back the landscape orientation for the Smartcast app. I only use landscape for everything since I access the apps via an iPad.

lujan
561 Ultra HD
721 HD
4 SD
post #46588 of 64119 Old 05-20-2017, 08:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 4637 Post(s)
Liked: 2692
Quote:

What did you think about the movie itself? I'm asking because it doesn't seem to be getting great ratings.

lujan
561 Ultra HD
721 HD
4 SD
post #46589 of 64119 Old 05-20-2017, 08:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 203 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5071 Post(s)
Liked: 3581
Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post
What did you think about the movie itself? I'm asking because it doesn't seem to be getting great ratings.
I liked it. I ended up buying it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sony LCD Master Series Calibration Thread
My P75-C1 Calibration Settings (5.0.14.1).
Sony XBR-75Z9F, Vizio P75-C1, Pioneer Kuro 5020, Pioneer VSX-1131, XBox One(X), Wii, NVIDIA SHIELD.v1, FireTV 4K-HDR, HDHR Connects, QNAP 431+
post #46590 of 64119 Old 05-20-2017, 08:57 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Do you need the new remote to take advantage of the on-screen menu?

For 2016 P50-C1 owners.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
2016/2017 vizio p-series - nice pic(k)! / netflix , best value , D7000 , dolby vision , latest firmware - 6.0.18.1 - previous 5.0.16.1 , Vizio , Vudu

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page