Official Vizio 2016/2017 P Series Owners ONLY Thread UHD/HDR/DV No Price Talk Please - Page 1616 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 288678Likes

post #48451 of 64590 Old 07-02-2017, 11:23 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Is the beta firmware update pushed out to different TV's at different times? Been checking for an update since last night but it's just saying it's up to date
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #48452 of 64590 Old 07-02-2017, 11:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2891 Post(s)
Liked: 1685
@Jrob121212 it's only available to beta testers right now.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Jrob121212 likes this.
post #48453 of 64590 Old 07-02-2017, 11:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 1966 Post(s)
Liked: 1303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob121212 View Post
Is the beta firmware update pushed out to different TV's at different times? Been checking for an update since last night but it's just saying it's up to date
No, the beta group was able to download en mass since yesterday afternoon. If you wish to be added to the beta (test) group, PM Matt with your serial number.
Jrob121212 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #48454 of 64590 Old 07-02-2017, 11:46 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by naustin View Post
No, the beta group was able to download en mass since yesterday afternoon. If you wish to be added to the beta (test) group, PM Matt with your serial number.
I pm'ed him a while back and also emailed them at the beta email requesting a new remote and received it in the mail a while back. So I assume I am already apart of the beta group but I can't seem to update my tv
post #48455 of 64590 Old 07-02-2017, 11:48 AM

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt McRae View Post
Make sure your Digital Audio Out setting is "Bitstream"...
@Matt McRae
I have it set to bitstream and no matter what audio setting I use, I've never gotten DD+/ATMOS using ARC in the year I've had my P50 and Pioneer SC-99.
Just trying to figure out if this is related to the Pioneer in some way. I love watching movies on VUDU in UHD with DOLBY VISION, but not getting ATMOS ruins it. I do believe other Pioneer receiver owners have the same issue.
And yes I do a reset after each update.
Also, maybe I'm imagining things, but I also believe the picture looks improved after this update. Thanks Matt!
post #48456 of 64590 Old 07-02-2017, 11:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Bell View Post
@Matt McRae
I have it set to bitstream and no matter what audio setting I use, I've never gotten DD+/ATMOS using ARC in the year I've had my P50 and Pioneer SC-99.
Just trying to figure out if this is related to the Pioneer in some way. I love watching movies on VUDU in UHD with DOLBY VISION, but not getting ATMOS ruins it. I do believe other Pioneer receiver owners have the same issue.
Also, maybe I'm imagining things, but I also believe the picture looks improved after this update. Thanks Matt!
I lost Atmos over ARC with the update before this. After troubleshooting the TV and doing a factory reset it still didn't work. Then I did a soft reset on my A3050, unplugged it for 10 min, and it started working again. Not sure if that will help but worth a shot.

————————————
TV: P65-E1 AVR: Yamaha A3060 5.2.4
Speakers: Chane A5RX-Cs, A2.4, and A1.4s
Ceiling: 4x RSL C34Es Subs: 2x Rythmik LVX12s
Oppo-203, DTV 4K, 4k FireTV, and Xbox X
post #48457 of 64590 Old 07-02-2017, 12:08 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quick question: There is a rumor that Amazon Prime Day is going to have prices better than Black Friday. Whether this happens or not, time will tell. That being said, I can't find the P Series on Amazon at all. There is the D and E series though. Has this always been the case where the P Series is not available on Amazon?
post #48458 of 64590 Old 07-02-2017, 12:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 1966 Post(s)
Liked: 1303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croikee26 View Post
Quick question: Has this always been the case where the P Series is not available on Amazon?
Yes. Since the M and P series use Google Casting (rival vendor tech), Amazon hasn't carried them. That may change in the future.
SamuraiXSendai likes this.
post #48459 of 64590 Old 07-02-2017, 01:12 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 5
This update has made a world of difference for me. When I first purchased this TV I was curious as to how the whole cast/tablet mode would work for me. After a year of use I can say I cannot stand casting and I'm so excited to have on screen apps. I had so many issues with reboots, app crashes, or casting controls simply not working after a period of time it became a very frustrating experience. I actually used my iPhone more than the tablet because it was much more stable and a rarely had an issue with casting (but still controls were not 100% working correctly all the time). Having this big screen in front of me doing nothing while trying to pick something to watch from a tiny screen always seemed a bit off. It could be because I need reading glasses and having to grab them just to pick something to watch was annoying.

Thanks for the update, and I'm excited to see more apps.
shoman94 likes this.
post #48460 of 64590 Old 07-02-2017, 01:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Quoted: 2729 Post(s)
Liked: 2488
Quote:
Originally Posted by naustin View Post
@Matt McRae Thanks again, two quick questions. 1. How are fixes to Apps going to work? You probably don't want us to keep retesting and reporting the same old App bugs. I guess you update the Vizio Smartcast App and Android Apps the same as usual, but what about the custom Vizio Apps like Amazon and USB Play? 2. For bug reports should we use the email [email protected] or the AVS forum?
The apps are not stored locally on the TV. They are hosted from a website. The authentication info for various apps that require a username and pw are stored on the TV. When there's an update to an app on the site ( and I assume after it passes a Vizio QA screening ) we all get that update.
post #48461 of 64590 Old 07-02-2017, 01:30 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by foreel View Post
I haven't called Vizio support yet. I am going to do so today but I am so nervous... I've had the set for 14 months and am pretty sure the warranty is 12 months, right? I can't afford a new one (we really sprung for this one), but it's become unwatchable. Does anyone know what I can expect? I am a loyal Vizio customer. We have basic Vizio TVs in each room in our house and I have the Vizio SB4551-D sound system (AWESOME). I'm deathly afraid that I am out of luck.

The attachment is unedited/processed. Taken with my iPhone on a Grey Uniformity test within Vizio Smartcast App.
Called. I didn't realize that the only thing that would happen at this stage is that a case would be opened and an email sent to me asking for proof of purchase and pictures of the set. Makes sense. The rep did foreshadow however, that because the set is 2 months past the warranty date I would be out of luck. Specifically he said that I am probably going to be directed to an external repair center. :-(

The email asked for a picture of the set with the lights turned on, which I had not done. Took that picture a few minutes ago and it's attached. I'm not even sure this is DSE/Clouding. I'm far from an expert in it but the deep yellow/black splotches seem to go beyond just "clouding".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9587.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	2214913   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9586.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	2214921   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9585.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	2214929  
post #48462 of 64590 Old 07-02-2017, 01:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2066 Post(s)
Liked: 729
Quote:

I'm far from an expert ... but the deep yellow/black
splotches seem to go beyond just "clouding".

Wow. That's a serious bug-a-boo defect. I don't recall ever seen something
like this posted before.

Edit: Are you in a basement? Is it damp? Looks like mold got inside the
panel?

- PjThis is The End-Age GenerationTime is Running OutQuakes, Sinkholes, Meteors
EvilutionMankind Was CreatedWe Didn't Come From ApesThere Was a Worldwide Flood!
The End of This Age is Near!I'm Ready For The Rapture!Are You Ready?The Time is Now!

Last edited by CleCakYngMfd; 07-02-2017 at 01:42 PM.
post #48463 of 64590 Old 07-02-2017, 01:39 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1718 Post(s)
Liked: 2503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croikee26 View Post
Quick question: There is a rumor that Amazon Prime Day is going to have prices better than Black Friday. Whether this happens or not, time will tell. That being said, I can't find the P Series on Amazon at all. There is the D and E series though. Has this always been the case where the P Series is not available on Amazon?
Please note the first post: Owner's only thread. You are welcome to post questions in this thread:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/197-lc...t-found-deals/
post #48464 of 64590 Old 07-02-2017, 01:49 PM

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 380
Quote:
Called. I didn't realize that the only thing that would happen at this stage is that a case would be opened and an email sent to me asking for proof of purchase and pictures of the set. Makes sense. The rep did foreshadow however, that because the set is 2 months past the warranty date I would be out of luck. Specifically he said that I am probably going to be directed to an external repair center. :-(

The email asked for a picture of the set with the lights turned on, which I had not done. Took that picture a few minutes ago and it's attached. I'm not even sure this is DSE/Clouding. I'm far from an expert in it but the deep yellow/black splotches seem to go beyond just "clouding".
If you paid with a credit card, your warranty should be extended by 1 year (3 years if you used an American Express Centurion card).

https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/the-...rranty-policy/
post #48465 of 64590 Old 07-02-2017, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleCakYngMfd View Post
Wow. That's a serious bug-a-boo defect. I don't recall ever seen something
like this posted before.

Edit: Are you in a basement? Is it damp? Looks like mold got inside the
panel?

No this is in my living room and it's as dry as can be. I know, it looks terrible. :-(
post #48466 of 64590 Old 07-02-2017, 02:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2133 Post(s)
Liked: 2221
Quote:
Originally Posted by swarm87 View Post
watched power rangers last night, no indication that dolby vision was on; only 2160p HDR-10 is there a different setting somewhere or i dolby vision not enabled for HDMI?
Oppo is the only player that supports DV. Use the info button on the oppo
post #48467 of 64590 Old 07-02-2017, 02:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2066 Post(s)
Liked: 729
Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleman2k View Post

...I actually like the smooth motion soap-opera effect...

...I don't like judder or pure 24p film look...

...Why do I need Pure Cinema ON for 24p content?...

'Pure Cinema' and the 'Reduce Judder' options work together.

Since you don't care for the 'natural' Judder of 24p, you want
'Pure Cinema' Off at all times and 'Reduce Judder' at 0.

If that's not enough:

To remove any leftover Judder, turn 'Pure Cinema' back On
and set 'Reduce Judder' to 10. You'll then get your almost pure, organic
SOAP effect. It does come at a cost of sometimes seeing distorted
image artifacts when lots of motion/action are going on.

Are there any movies/shows 'videoed' at 60fps? I'm sure you'll love
seeing that. That'd be fairly Judderless.

(There is NetFlix's 'Sparks'. It's 60VF. Have you seen this yet?
It's so 'smooth and slick', you might slip and fall down.)

The question for me is, how do these Vizio Displays handle 24p
content coming from a device's 60Hz output? Is the end result
the same as a 24p streamed or Blu-Ray content?

I guess I should blow the dust of my older 4K Roku and check
it out.

- PjThis is The End-Age GenerationTime is Running OutQuakes, Sinkholes, Meteors
EvilutionMankind Was CreatedWe Didn't Come From ApesThere Was a Worldwide Flood!
The End of This Age is Near!I'm Ready For The Rapture!Are You Ready?The Time is Now!
post #48468 of 64590 Old 07-02-2017, 02:18 PM

Mentioned: 1169 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked: 3383
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Bell View Post
@Matt McRae
Can you make sure your receiver has the latest firmware. The latest one as per Pioneer is Version 1-317-011-729-205. It can be downloaded from here:

https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/P...C-99#downloads
post #48469 of 64590 Old 07-02-2017, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abouttreefitty View Post
If you paid with a credit card, your warranty should be extended by 1 year (3 years if you used an American Express Centurion card).
I looked into that too. I paid with a BestBuy credit card. After lots of searching it doesn't appear that the BestBuy credit card follows that same extended warranty policy that other cards do. My guess is because it would conflict with their own extended warranty business.

Still on the phone with Vizio. Talking to a manager now. It's not going well.
post #48470 of 64590 Old 07-02-2017, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abouttreefitty View Post
I looked into that but I bought the TV at BestBuy with a BestBuy credit card. It does not appear that they fall in line with other credit cards in regards to offering extended warranties. Selling extended warranties is part of their business model though so it makes sense that they wouldn't offer it with their credit card for free.
post #48471 of 64590 Old 07-02-2017, 03:13 PM

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt McRae View Post
Can you make sure your receiver has the latest firmware. The latest one as per Pioneer is Version 1-317-011-729-205. It can be downloaded from here:

https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/P...C-99#downloads
@Matt McRae
Thanks for your quick responses. Yes, I have the latest firmware. This is the one that added DTS:X a few months back.
Thanks
post #48472 of 64590 Old 07-02-2017, 03:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 5023 Post(s)
Liked: 3042
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartanjet View Post
This update has made a world of difference for me. When I first purchased this TV I was curious as to how the whole cast/tablet mode would work for me. After a year of use I can say I cannot stand casting and I'm so excited to have on screen apps. I had so many issues with reboots, app crashes, or casting controls simply not working after a period of time it became a very frustrating experience. I actually used my iPhone more than the tablet because it was much more stable and a rarely had an issue with casting (but still controls were not 100% working correctly all the time). Having this big screen in front of me doing nothing while trying to pick something to watch from a tiny screen always seemed a bit off. It could be because I need reading glasses and having to grab them just to pick something to watch was annoying.

Thanks for the update, and I'm excited to see more apps.
I'm also glad I purchased it when I did last summer because here we are more than a year and a half since Vudu started their UHD movies and still the Vizio is the only affordable device we can play them on. I think that some 2016 LG's have it but they're not as affordable in the 75" like the Vizio is.

lujan
640 Ultra HD
730 HD
4 SD
post #48473 of 64590 Old 07-02-2017, 03:41 PM

Quote:

Update: Vizio support acknowledged that the issue is not repairable. They also said that it is likely the backlight going out and that it makes this pattern because of the active LED zones. They predicted that it will continue to fail and get worse from this point on.

Because the set is irreparable and out of warranty the only option originally offered was to purchase the 2017 model at a discount. I asked to escalate and was transferred to the escalation team. The gentleman I spoke to at this level committed to speaking with a few others to see if there was something else that can be done. He sounded genuine and cautiously optimistic that he would be able to help me. He asked for a few days to try and sort something out.

I've read over and over how great Vizio customer service is. I am REALLY hoping that they come through for me on this. It's the only time I've ever requested anything from them and am already a huge promoter of Vizio and of the P-Series (I've successfully recommended the P-series TV to two of my co-workers. After seeing my TV last year my boss bought the P75 (75" version)).
CleCakYngMfd likes this.
post #48474 of 64590 Old 07-02-2017, 04:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 219 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5603 Post(s)
Liked: 3789
Quote:
Update: Vizio support acknowledged that the issue is not repairable. They also said that it is likely the backlight going out and that it makes this pattern because of the active LED zones. They predicted that it will continue to fail and get worse from this point on.

Because the set is irreparable and out of warranty the only option originally offered was to purchase the 2017 model at a discount. I asked to escalate and was transferred to the escalation team. The gentleman I spoke to at this level committed to speaking with a few others to see if there was something else that can be done. He sounded genuine and cautiously optimistic that he would be able to help me. He asked for a few days to try and sort something out.

I've read over and over how great Vizio customer service is. I am REALLY hoping that they come through for me on this. It's the only time I've ever requested anything from them and am already a huge promoter of Vizio and of the P-Series (I've successfully recommended the P-series TV to two of my co-workers. After seeing my TV last year my boss bought the P75 (75" version)).
I hope the best for you and really you should have purchased the extended warranty (3-4 extra years) from Costco.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk
mpgxsvcd likes this.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2018 Sony LCD Master Series Calibration Thread
Sony XBR-75Z9F, Vizio M50-E1, Pioneer Kuro 5020, Marantz SR6013, AppleTV-4K, XBox One & (X), NVIDIA SHIELD.v1, FireTV 4K-HDR, HDHR Connects, QNAP 431+
post #48475 of 64590 Old 07-02-2017, 04:04 PM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 52
I had the new update but when i switch to smartcast it keep loading forever and never switch to the new interface. I did a factory reset but same problem. Any ideas guys?
post #48476 of 64590 Old 07-02-2017, 04:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 450 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyVee View Post
I like the new update. A few comments:

Issue - harmony "cast" input does not recognize the Smartcast input. Everything else works

Yeah I know there are more apps coming, but additional Apps wish list

Plex
SlingTV
LiveTV via HDHomeRun
YouTube
Spotify
Pandora
MobileForge
Whats the workaround for the Harmony? Have they updated the P Series in their system to add the conventional remote buttons?
post #48477 of 64590 Old 07-02-2017, 04:27 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Character_Zero View Post
Whats the workaround for the Harmony? Have they updated the P Series in their system to add the conventional remote buttons?
I have the 650 and yes

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
post #48478 of 64590 Old 07-02-2017, 04:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 450 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by jopat View Post
I have the 650 and yes

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Whats the best way to set up an Activity for Smartcast?

Nevermind: It switches inputs correctly.
reallynotnick and jopat like this.

Last edited by Character_Zero; 07-02-2017 at 04:50 PM.
post #48479 of 64590 Old 07-02-2017, 05:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2133 Post(s)
Liked: 2221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Character_Zero View Post
Whats the best way to set up an Activity for Smartcast?

Nevermind: It switches inputs correctly.
Switches inputs, but you still need the regular remote to naviagte the UI
post #48480 of 64590 Old 07-02-2017, 05:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1873 Post(s)
Liked: 1134
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmg2006 View Post
I had the new update but when i switch to smartcast it keep loading forever and never switch to the new interface. I did a factory reset but same problem. Any ideas guys?
What's currently connected to the display?

Sent from my 5054N using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
2016/2017 vizio p-series - nice pic(k)! / netflix , best value , D7000 , dolby vision , latest firmware - 6.0.18.1 - previous 5.0.16.1 , Vizio , Vudu

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page