Official Vizio 2016/2017 P Series Owners ONLY Thread UHD/HDR/DV No Price Talk Please - Page 1618 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 288526Likes

post #48511 of 64213 Old 07-02-2017, 10:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1108 Post(s)
Liked: 2154
Quote:
Originally Posted by mytommy View Post
I'm watching breaking bad on Netflix in 4K, and the picture looks very grainy. My sharpness is set to zero. Everything else is set to 50. How could I go about fixing this?
There is nothing to fix. Breaking Bad was shot on film.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #48512 of 64213 Old 07-02-2017, 10:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 203 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5072 Post(s)
Liked: 3583
For those that care, I updated my settings for the beta firmware.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk
mpgxsvcd, promike and Collinms like this.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sony LCD Master Series Calibration Thread
My P75-C1 Calibration Settings (5.0.14.1).
Sony XBR-75Z9F, Vizio P75-C1, Pioneer Kuro 5020, Pioneer VSX-1131, XBox One(X), Wii, NVIDIA SHIELD.v1, FireTV 4K-HDR, HDHR Connects, QNAP 431+
post #48513 of 64213 Old 07-02-2017, 10:30 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by puddy77 View Post
There is nothing to fix. Breaking Bad was shot on film.
So this has nothing to do with my TV setting? I also notice the same grainy picture issue when I watch "Jessica Jones" in 4K HDR. Is it shot the same way? Where could I check that
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #48514 of 64213 Old 07-02-2017, 10:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 2838 Post(s)
Liked: 1655
Quote:
So this has nothing to do with my TV setting? I also notice the same grainy picture issue when I watch "Jessica Jones" in 4K HDR. Is it shot the same way? Where could I check that
All marvel series are shot that way. There are tons of videos created this way. One of the downsides to a better resolution display is you will see imperfections more clearly.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
SamuraiXSendai and callworth like this.
post #48515 of 64213 Old 07-03-2017, 12:12 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 474 Post(s)
Liked: 312
One thing I love about the update is the info bar is automatic now when a show starts. I put on planet earth 2 streaming through Plex and when hdr10 triggered the info bar popped up to display all the info. It's the little things!!! Also I feel there is more pop and a lot better hdr10 picture idk if anyone else has noticed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
reallynotnick likes this.
post #48516 of 64213 Old 07-03-2017, 12:14 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Anyone with this issue? had the new update but when i switch to smartcast it keep loading forever and never switch to the new interface. I did a factory reset but same problem
post #48517 of 64213 Old 07-03-2017, 12:19 AM

Quoted: 474 Post(s)
Liked: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmg2006 View Post
Anyone with this issue? had the new update but when i switch to smartcast it keep loading forever and never switch to the new interface. I did a factory reset but same problem

Mine did it at first but then I factory reset everything maybe try it again and re enter your wifi.. worked for me

shoman94 likes this.
post #48518 of 64213 Old 07-03-2017, 12:32 AM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbuchanan813 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmg2006 View Post

Mine did it at first but then I factory reset
everything maybe try it again and re enter your wifi.. worked for me

I will try it again thanks
post #48519 of 64213 Old 07-03-2017, 02:53 AM

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 452
Nice update. Thanks Matt.

Quote:
I'm watching breaking bad on Netflix in 4K, and the picture looks very grainy. My sharpness is set to zero. Everything else is set to 50. How could I go about fixing this?

Try out the Miami Vice movie from 2006 if you want to see VERY grainy.
SamuraiXSendai likes this.

LG 65C7
Denon AVR-X3300W
Q Acoustics 3020 fronts, 3090 center, 3010 surrounds
SVS PB-1000
Samsung K8500
post #48520 of 64213 Old 07-03-2017, 03:24 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by skschatzman View Post
All marvel series are shot that way. There are tons of videos created this way. One of the downsides to a better resolution display is you will see imperfections more clearly.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Or upsides, depending on your perspective. If you want 4K soap operas with super smooth skin, petition it.
s44 likes this.
post #48521 of 64213 Old 07-03-2017, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt McRae View Post
We are enabling SW version 3.3.16.1 for those of you on the early test code group. This release is a big one so bear with me as I run through the features, fixes, and known issues.

The most significant portion of this release in our SmartCast TV user experience! You are the first to use this outside of the company. For those of you with our XRT135 remote control or a VIZIO compatible IR remote you can access this feature by switching inputs to “SmartCast”. You will initially be prompted to get an IR remote… just press a direction key like up to dismiss this… the information in this dialog won’t be relevant or functional until we release final code (for this of you without our XRT135 remote - please email [email protected] with your serial number that is in our beta group and we will get one shipped out to you for free to say thank you for testing).

Once in the SmartCast TV experience you will be able to navigate content and apps as you would expect. If you navigate up to the top header and go up one more time you will see a new menu drop down that includes “Support” which houses a new section containing support videos and content.

PLEASE NOTE: the apps and functionality in SmartCast TV are test versions. You may run into issues as we continue to refine up until the full final release. Please don’t contact those app providers with bug reports as most issues are known and we are working on them. They have been very supportive of us releasing this code to the group here.

Couple of things you will notice:
1. Some apps will present audio no video - i.e. Xumo
2. Crackle playback or launch can be inconsistent
3. Play/pause doesn’t control the cast stream
4. Some state or UX issues

You will also see Amazon Video! Been hard to keep this quiet… in fact this is not yet publicly announced :-) UHD streams are not enabled on some specific models as we work through final certifications with Amazon but it is a huge addition I know many were looking for… enjoy!

You will also see a VERY simple USB media playback app.

Other changes include:
- Support for 50hz/100hz (officially this time)
- Fix for Xbox 5.1 audio output
- Better PQ and algorithms for HDR10 sources
- Fixes for color calibration tests
- CEC enhancements
- Numerous improvements/adjustments to UI

Thank you for your patience as the team worked over the last 6 months to bring this functionality to our platform. We appreciate you testing this code and reporting issues. I’ll be sporadically jumping on the forum and checking DMs throughout the coming weeks.

Thank you for being a VIZIO customer. Have a great Holiday Weekend!

Matt
This is why I bought this display. The support, as well as the quality of the display, it really matters.
post #48522 of 64213 Old 07-03-2017, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Yes, the files I used while checking the new USB player app were all HEVC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by O'neil026 View Post
@puddy77 can u plz check if I can cast HEVC files using Localcast or any other casting apps plz?
Nah, over Plex my HEVC files show up as "Transcoding from HEVC to H264" and they are buffering. Definitely still not as it was before the infamous New Year update...
post #48523 of 64213 Old 07-03-2017, 04:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked: 982
@Daemon11
This is a Plex problem, not Vizio's.
Try casting the same file with localcast while using Plex as the DLNA server.
reallynotnick likes this.

LG 65B7 | T95N with CoreELEC | Vizio SB3851-D0 | Calibration + Settings (TBD)
Vizio M60-D1 | T95M with LibreELEC | Calibration + Settings
Dell UP2516D | Le Potato with CoreELEC (Development/testing platform)
Vizio M55-C2 (Ex) | Calibration + Settings
post #48524 of 64213 Old 07-03-2017, 04:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisplayCalNoob View Post
Any sharp bends in your E cable, what about the metal leads in the RJ45 connector. I had a similar problem, I cut the cable and refitted it, haven't had a problem since.

Sent from my 5054N using Tapatalk
No issues with the cable. I've tried it with multiple cables, including a flat RJ45 cable. The cables I've tried work fine with other devices.
post #48525 of 64213 Old 07-03-2017, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleman2k View Post
I have a PC connected to the TV on HDMI2, playing a 24p movie file. What I did until recently with my Panasonic plasma was set the PC to output a 24p signal (to match the movie file's native rate) and let the TV do the processing to remove judder/flicker by doing frame interpolation (what Panasonic calls "Intelligent Frame Creation"). I actually like the smooth motion soap-opera effect.

You're dead to me.
post #48526 of 64213 Old 07-03-2017, 06:50 AM

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 62
So now the "screensaver"/"wallpaper" CAST option is gone from INPUTS? Thats one of my favorite things about this TV.

How can you easily get back to it? I found that if you CAST any app, and disconnect it, you can get back to the original CAST screen. Too many steps!

#BringBackOriginalCASTScreen!
Schwa and Daemon11 like this.
post #48527 of 64213 Old 07-03-2017, 06:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 494 Post(s)
Liked: 540
So the TV updated to 3.3.16.1.
They FINALLY allow Clear Action to be used with HDR and it works! I'm absolutely ecstatic! I've been waiting for this since the release of the TV. As you might know, this will mostly be a benefit to gamers, nothing else really.

There's good and there's the tradeoff.

The good:

At default, Clear Action literally does nothing but add that black frame between frames, so HDR will still yield the wider color gamut and peak brightness algorithms, so if something asks for peak highlights, adjusting the backlight won't change this.

Having tested a couple of HDR enabled games like FFXV, Ratchet and Clank, Last of Us Remastered, Wipeout Omega Collection, it was good to see that the extra details and HDR changes made to these games remained even with Clear Action on, despite the lower light output caused by CA.

The tradeoff:

Obviously, this will truncate the overall light output/maximum nits of the display, so at default, this will be dim if you've been used to 50 backlight without Clear Action, or particularly if you are in a well lit room.

HDR is 'optimal' in the Backlight 50 range, and adding backlight levels will blow out the details and generally just look bad (which has always been the case with or without Clear Action). As for the lower light output, I'm not too bothered, as I normally use the TV in SDR with Backlight 25-ish whenever I'm not using Clear Action, and Backlight 50 with Clear Action. If you want HDR and Clear Action and a higher light output, sorry, but you do NOT wanna set backlight to high levels as you'll will be destroying details, unlike SDR where you can change backlight to whatever you want and all details will remain the same.

In the end, this won't matter to everyone who hates Clear Action to begin with, but will be a great addition to those of us who have had to choose between Clear Action and HDR. Now we get both, reaping the benefits of HDR changes made in games, including wider color gamut, though our general/peak brightness will be the one drawback. An example of benefits is the clouds in the Last of Us Remastered. In SDR, they have very little gradiation. In HDR, there is clear dark and bright areas of clouds, with a stark contrast changed between them. Even with Clear Action on in HDR, you still gain this HDR benefit.

Of course you can always turn off Clear Action if the peak light output is the biggest benefit for you in HDR. For me, brightness was never my priority. Wider color and HDR algorithms in games were.

Mad Lust Envy

Last edited by Raven Crimson; 07-03-2017 at 07:35 AM.
post #48528 of 64213 Old 07-03-2017, 07:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbuchanan813 View Post
One thing I love about the update is the info bar is automatic now when a show starts. I put on planet earth 2 streaming through Plex and when hdr10 triggered the info bar popped up to display all the info. It's the little things!!! Also I feel there is more pop and a lot better hdr10 picture idk if anyone else has noticed.

I hate it for calibrating HDR 10 because the files used make the tv go in and out of HDR so the I have to wait for the info bar to go away for every single read. 😤
Takes almost twice as long to calibrate HDR 10 now.

As a side note... Anyone notice that a new remote is coming out?
XRT136.....
I tried to get it but it said my TV doesn't have SmartCast.

mpgxsvcd likes this.

Sony XBR-75Z9F, Vizio P75-C1, Pioneer Kuro 5020, Pioneer VSX-1131, XBox One(X), Wii, NVIDIA SHIELD.v1, FireTV 4K-HDR, HDHR Connects, QNAP 431+
post #48529 of 64213 Old 07-03-2017, 07:18 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 33
@Matt McRae Would like to join the Beta. LTMATLBS3550575

Sony 65A1E
LG 65C8
Vizio P65
LG 55EA9800
post #48530 of 64213 Old 07-03-2017, 07:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven Crimson View Post
@Matt McRae

So the TV updated to 3.3.16.1.

They FINALLY allow Clear Action to be used with HDR and it works! I'm absolutely ecstatic! I've been waiting for this since the release of the TV. As you might know, this will mostly be a benefit to gamers, nothing else really.

There's good and bad.

The good:

At default, Clear Action literally does nothing but add that black frame between frames, so HDR will still yield the wider color gamut and peak brightness algorithms, so if something asks for peak highlights, adjusting the backlight won't change this.

Having tested a couple of HDR enabled games like FFXV, Ratchet and Clank, Last of Us Remastered, Wipeout Omega Collection, it was good to see that the extra details and HDR changes made to these games remained even with Clear Action on, despite the lower light output caused by CA.

The bad:

Obviously, this will truncate the overall light output/maximum nits of the display, so at default, this will be dim if you've been used to 50 backlight without Clear Action, or particularly if you are in a well lit room.

HDR is 'optimal' in the Backlight 50 range, and adding backlight levels will blow out the details and generally just look bad (which has always been the case with or without Clear Action. As for the lower light output, I'm not too bothered, as I normally use the TV in SDR with Backlight 25-ish whenever I'm not using Clear Action, and Backlight 50 with Clear Action.

If you want HDR and Clear Action and want higher light output, sorry, but you do NOT wanna set backlight to high levels as, yes you'll gain a lot more general brightness, but will be destroying details. Unlike SDR where you can change backlight to whatever you want and all details will remain the same.

In the end, this won't matter to everyone who hates Clear Action to begin with, but will be a great addition to those of us who have had to choose between Clear ACtion and HDR. Now we get both, reaping the benefits of HDR changes made in games, including wider color gamut, though our general/peak brightness will be the one drawback.
You are never happy.....😌

The backlight adjustment effects midtones mainly with little effect on Max brightness. I could do a calibration with CA enabled to get that brightness back maybe.....
Unfortunately I don't do any HDR gaming so maybe you could get calibrating or someone who games HDR and already calibrates could do this using the computer colorspace.
If I'm bored I'll try it out sometime maybe but that would lead to me doing 4 calibrations...... It's bad enough it takes me almost 6 hours to do all 3 calibrations right now.

post #48531 of 64213 Old 07-03-2017, 07:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoman94 View Post
You are never happy.....😌

The backlight adjustment effects midtones mainly with little effect on Max brightness. I could do a calibration with CA enabled to get that brightness back maybe.....
Unfortunately I don't do any HDR gaming so maybe you could get calibrating or someone who games HDR and already calibrated could do this using the computer colorspace.
If I'm bored I'll try it out sometime maybe but that would lead to me doing 4 calibrations...... It's bad enough it takes me almost 6 hours to do all 3 calibrations right now.

I did start off saying I was ecstatic, or did you miss that, lol. I'm very happy now.

I was still editing my post, please change my quote to reflect this. I realized writing through that what I wanted in terms of maximum backlight offsetting the overall dimming was stupid, as you said, it doesn't affect that. I accepted this is the way it must be. And actually I'm quite happy. The light output is the only trade off I've had to make, which is perfectly fine compared to the other benefits.

By maximum light output, I'm talking about the considerable cut in brightness due to the black frame insertion/strobing. There's no way to get any higher without turning off Clear Action, which is not a sacrifice I'd make for gaming.

I mainly just wanted to tell people NOT to change backlight in HDR to a higher level thinking they get a brighter image, when all they're doing is messing up the image.

Mad Lust Envy

Last edited by Raven Crimson; 07-03-2017 at 07:44 AM.
post #48532 of 64213 Old 07-03-2017, 07:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1108 Post(s)
Liked: 2154
Quote:
While the Marvel Netflix shows are shot digitally, they actually add fake film grain for the look. Jessica Jones is the worst offender of the four Marvel shows so far, but there is some on the rest too. Plus, even when not trying to look like film, digital cameras can have noise that looks like film grain when they are shooting in low light. As previously mentioned, 4k can bring out every flaw in the source. You are just going to have to get used to it. Start reading the HDR titles thread. People usually mention whether something has a clean digital look or a grainy film look.
post #48533 of 64213 Old 07-03-2017, 07:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked: 848
@Matt McRae Sent you a PM a while back but never got my P50-C1 added to the beta. 08LTMWTNAS50115

"Never believe any quote you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln

Last edited by Jeremy Anderson; 07-03-2017 at 05:51 PM.
post #48534 of 64213 Old 07-03-2017, 07:55 AM

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Netflix problem

@Matt McRae Only problem with new fw so far is Netflix will not load. Tried factory reset and still nothing, just a black screen.

Speakers: Klipsch RF-7II(2), RC-64II, RS-62II(2), RP-160M(2), Velodyne HGS-15, HSU VTF-15H, Atlantic Technology IC-6-OBA(4)
AVP: Yamaha CX-A5100, BJC certified cables
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), XPA-3
Oppo UDP-203, Roku Ultra, Nvidia Shield, Sony UBP-X800
JVC DLA-RS540K, (132" screen), Vizio P75-C1 and Vizio SB4551-D5 Soundbar
post #48535 of 64213 Old 07-03-2017, 08:08 AM

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisplayCalNoob View Post
The PQ update is just.......WOW! There's deep dark reds, blues, greens, and fantastic shadow detail. Clarity, zero bloom and the FALD system, is selling the P55-C1 IPS panel.

Sent from my XR6P10 using Tapatalk
There's been an update the PQ also? How is HDR material holding up?
post #48536 of 64213 Old 07-03-2017, 08:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Ah, also tested the 50hz and 100hz capabilities. Won't do much for us with NTSC content, though it can be a benefit to PC gamers who can't hit 60fps on their games. 50fps cap is a good alternative, though sadly Clear Action doesn't do much but slightly clear the image up. You have to deal with the frame doubling at 50hz.

100hz looks crisp and basically as good as 120hz, so if you have some games that can do over 1080p/100fps but not 120fps, this is an excellent option.
shoman94 likes this.

Mad Lust Envy

Last edited by Raven Crimson; 07-03-2017 at 08:23 AM.
post #48537 of 64213 Old 07-03-2017, 08:30 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 11
@Matt McRae Hi, Not sure the best way to be added to the beta. Send a PM, but I dont think I was added to the beta. LTMATKAR5250024. Thanks!
post #48538 of 64213 Old 07-03-2017, 08:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked: 982
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven Crimson View Post
Ah, also tested the 50hz and 100hz capabilities. Won't do much for us with NTSC content, though it can be a benefit to PC gamers who can't hit 60fps on their games. 50fps cap is a good alternative, though sadly Clear Action doesn't do much but slightly clear the image up. You have to deal with the frame doubling at 50hz.

100hz looks crisp and basically as good as 120hz, so if you have some games that can do over 1080p/100fps but not 120fps, this is an excellent option.
Is 50Hz listed as an option when you select the refresh rate in your graphics card control panel or did you have to create a custom display mode for that?

LG 65B7 | T95N with CoreELEC | Vizio SB3851-D0 | Calibration + Settings (TBD)
Vizio M60-D1 | T95M with LibreELEC | Calibration + Settings
Dell UP2516D | Le Potato with CoreELEC (Development/testing platform)
Vizio M55-C2 (Ex) | Calibration + Settings
post #48539 of 64213 Old 07-03-2017, 08:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Coolest View Post
Is 50Hz listed as an option when you select the refresh rate in your graphics card control panel or did you have to create a custom display mode for that?
You have to create both under custom resolution settings.

50hz looks normal, 100hz has that raw upscaling similar to the 120hz setting.
shoman94 and The Coolest like this.

Mad Lust Envy
post #48540 of 64213 Old 07-03-2017, 08:39 AM

Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Quote:
Quote:
While the Marvel Netflix shows are shot digitally, they actually add fake film grain for the look. Jessica Jones is the worst offender of the four Marvel shows so far, but there is some on the rest too. Plus, even when not trying to look like film, digital cameras can have noise that looks like film grain when they are shooting in low light. As previously mentioned, 4k can bring out every flaw in the source. You are just going to have to get used to it. Start reading the HDR titles thread. People usually mention whether something has a clean digital look or a grainy film look.
The film grain on mine looked really bad. Almost like everything was carbonated or glittery. For example, blue sky backgrounds had so much noise they almost forced me to look away. Hopefully the new panel is a tad better.

If what I'm seeing was normal, that's a little concerning. Not re vizio necessary. Just what's the benefit of the tech?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
2016/2017 vizio p-series - nice pic(k)! / netflix , best value , D7000 , dolby vision , latest firmware - 6.0.18.1 - previous 5.0.16.1 , Vizio , Vudu

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page