Official Vizio 2016/2017 P Series Owners ONLY Thread UHD/HDR/DV No Price Talk Please - Page 1623 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 288562Likes

post #48661 of 64337 Old 07-03-2017, 10:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 205 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5151 Post(s)
Liked: 3622
Quote:
Originally Posted by geodon005 View Post
Dumb question: if I watch 4K HDR via Netflix via SmartCast, do I need to have "Full UHD Color" enabled on any particular input? I use a TiVo Bolt as my cable box, and while I do watch Netflix and Amazon Video through it (it includes the apps), whenever I watch something with HDR (certain Vudu movies, Marco Polo on Netflix), I use SmartCast.

Is there any disadvantage to setting "Full UHD Color" to On for all inputs?
For your situation I'd say no. Your HDR is only being done with casting so you don't need it on for any input.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sony LCD Master Series Calibration Thread
My P75-C1 Calibration Settings (5.0.14.1).
Sony XBR-75Z9F, Vizio P75-C1, Pioneer Kuro 5020, Pioneer VSX-1131, XBox One(X), Wii, NVIDIA SHIELD.v1, FireTV 4K-HDR, HDHR Connects, QNAP 431+
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #48662 of 64337 Old 07-03-2017, 10:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 46
I am not able to register for the free remote. The site does not work with my codes or serial numbers. I put in the code and it says sorry the tv is not eligible. Did someone steal my code? Hey its totally possible with it just being 4 characters. So I put in my serial number and submit. then it loads a white screen in the content area.

I tried for both my p series tvs, same fail.

also I sent an email for my remote on May 3 and received no reply and no remote thusfar
post #48663 of 64337 Old 07-03-2017, 10:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2050 Post(s)
Liked: 724
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt McRae View Post

Collecting serial numbers DM'd to me but may
be a couple of days before we can add to the update system.
For those who want to be added... please DM me your serial.

I believe you mean 'PM' (Private Message).

Are you also collecting public posts from new users on the Forum that haven't reached the required 15 Posts to PM you?

- PjThis is The End-Age GenerationTime is Running OutQuakes, Sinkholes, Meteors
EvilutionMankind Was CreatedWe Didn't Come From ApesThere Was a Worldwide Flood!
The End of This Age is Near!I'm Ready For The Rapture!Are You Ready?The Time is Now!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #48664 of 64337 Old 07-03-2017, 11:40 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 107
@Raven Crimson Do you have to turn on subsampling for PS4 games to output HDR? I haven't had it on and yet my PS4 still sees the TV as HDR capable and seems to work for FFXV. Also, can you explain the benefits of CA a little more clearly, like is it only worth having on for games running below 60FPS. If I have my PC plugged into the set and I'm running Doom at 80-120 FPS should I be using CA still?
post #48665 of 64337 Old 07-03-2017, 11:42 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon11 View Post

If you want to watch higher speed film there are plenty of TV shows, Soaps, documentaries that are filmed that way,
30fps is 6fps more than 24. I don't consider that HFR. Name one tv show I can watch that's filmed higher than 30fps.

Quote:
Because film makers have taken that film speed and have used it to their advantage. Many film makers use it in conjunction with a proper shutter angle as a way to for the viewer to sense the speed or hectic nature of a scene, giving soul or feeling to a film.
You make it sound as if film makers have a choice. They really don't. Framerate is not something up to directors choice in wide release non-scripted film. It's not negotiable, regardless of artistic vision. Hobbit was a one-off experiment. All the stuff you describe is not technology fitting art. It's 90+ years of art adapting to fit within the limits of technology. You can prefer it if you like, but that's what it is.

Quote:
but 24fps is an art form, pure and simple, that's why it's stuck around.
The same argument has always been made about black and white. The same argument can be made for silent films. Thankfully film has managed to at least progress past those "art forms."

Quote:
Also, The Hobbit looked like absolute garbage, and is a perfect example of how the feeling of a story can get lost when shot poorly. It was filmed at high-speed as a gimmick (trying to be the next Avatar of film fads), not for any artistic goal or improvement, and the gimmick came through as obvious. It no longer felt like a fantasy but a cheap home video re-creation, and instead of getting butts in the seats it drove them away.
The entire concept of a framerate increase making a movie "shot poorly" is as absurd as claiming the choice to be in black and white can make it "shot poorly."

You, like most people, grew up associating HFR with soap operas and documentaries and thus you let it distract you. You almost had me sold on all this talk of framerate being a tool of artistic choice, but your critique of the hobbit destroyed it. You'll obviously always hate HFR, and never be sold on an artistic reason for it in a movie. But that's ok.

If we went a generation without movies being made, and a brand new generation not use to low frame rate started making movies with modern tech, low frame rate would never even be considered by anyone.

Anywho, this should probably be taken to PM....
post #48666 of 64337 Old 07-04-2017, 12:34 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Well, after reading these forums for quite a while, I finally pulled the trigger and purchased a P75-C1. I just finished mounting it on the wall and going through the set up process, however I cannot for the life of me figure out why my internet speed is 8Mb/s despite being wired into an ASUS RT-AC87R. I have updated all firmware. When I cast Netflix and check Display Information it says that my resolution is 3840x2160, but shouldn't the download speed be coming in much higher? I hit about 110 Mb/s on all my other devices, both wired and wireless AC. I have tried to search through this thread to see if someone else has asked something similar, so my apologies if I am asking something with a simple answer somewhere else. Any help is appreciated though.
post #48667 of 64337 Old 07-04-2017, 12:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked: 982
@MascotRay

The built in speed test in the Vizio TVs and displays (the app) has been broken for about forever. It always underreports.
I suggest you try the Netflix bandwidth test video.
shoman94 and reallynotnick like this.

LG 65B7 | T95N with CoreELEC | Vizio SB3851-D0 | Calibration + Settings (TBD)
Vizio M60-D1 | T95M with LibreELEC | Calibration + Settings
Dell UP2516D | Le Potato with CoreELEC (Development/testing platform)
Vizio M55-C2 (Ex) | Calibration + Settings
post #48668 of 64337 Old 07-04-2017, 01:42 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Coolest View Post

The built in speed test in the Vizio TVs and displays (the app) has been broken for about forever. It always underreports.
I suggest you try the Netflix bandwidth test video.
Thank you. That was driving me crazy. I could not wrap my head around it. For some reason Netflix isn't showing me any Ultra HD results even though I have the Ultra HD plan. Everything just comes up HD. Ah well, that's an issue for tomorrow. Thank you again!
post #48669 of 64337 Old 07-04-2017, 01:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked: 982
@MascotRay

You have to 'cast' to the display first, and then you'll see the 4K and Dolby Vision labels in the Netflix app.
Simply search for HDR or 4K in the app to see the content available. I think that the first season of the House of Cards is 1080P, and only the later ones are 4K (but not HDR).
shoman94 likes this.

LG 65B7 | T95N with CoreELEC | Vizio SB3851-D0 | Calibration + Settings (TBD)
Vizio M60-D1 | T95M with LibreELEC | Calibration + Settings
Dell UP2516D | Le Potato with CoreELEC (Development/testing platform)
Vizio M55-C2 (Ex) | Calibration + Settings
post #48670 of 64337 Old 07-04-2017, 01:57 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by hachima View Post
Were you able to get Atmos before the update? I have the SC-95 and I still get Atmos with VUDU through the new StreamCast app and also the VUDU app on the tablet still. I found with my SC-95 that I had to choose the correct 'Speaker System' within the SC-95 in order to get ATMOS. The setup that works for me is the 7.2.4 SB Pre out. I initially had a 5.1.2 setup and chose a setup with TMd speakers and the stream wouldn't switch to Atmos. Once I switched to a TFw and TBw speaker setep Atmos started working. I now have a 5.1.4 setup and still use the same setup.

However my current problem with VUDU is that I no longer get 4K streams. I get only get 1080p but with Dolby Vision and Atmos. I've tried multiple 4k titles I own with the same issue. It's been a while since I've used VUDU but I never use to have this issue. I am on Ethernet with a 1 gigabit internet connection and don't believe that's a bottleneck. Netflix casted from the tablet and Amazon(yeah!) from SmartCast both stream at 4k without issue when testing multiple titles with the new firmware.
I have NEVER gotten DD+ or ATMOS when using ARC. I have a 5.2.4 setup and like you I use the same 7.2.4 SB Pre out speaker System setup in the SC-99.
post #48671 of 64337 Old 07-04-2017, 02:10 AM

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrustbucket View Post
30fps is 6fps more than 24. I don't consider that HFR. Name one tv show I can watch that's filmed higher than 30fps.

You make it sound as if film makers have a choice. They really don't. Framerate is not something up to directors choice in wide release non-scripted film. It's not negotiable, regardless of artistic vision. Hobbit was a one-off experiment. All the stuff you describe is not technology fitting art. It's 90+ years of art adapting to fit within the limits of technology. You can prefer it if you like, but that's what it is.

The same argument has always been made about black and white. The same argument can be made for silent films. Thankfully film has managed to at least progress past those "art forms."

The entire concept of a framerate increase making a movie "shot poorly" is as absurd as claiming the choice to be in black and white can make it "shot poorly."

You, like most people, grew up associating HFR with soap operas and documentaries and thus you let it distract you. You almost had me sold on all this talk of framerate being a tool of artistic choice, but your critique of the hobbit destroyed it. You'll obviously always hate HFR, and never be sold on an artistic reason for it in a movie. But that's ok.

If we went a generation without movies being made, and a brand new generation not use to low frame rate started making movies with modern tech, low frame rate would never even be considered by anyone.

I don't hate HFR, but there's a time and a place for it. I use HFR footage all the time, and use it in ways that make sense, speed ramping is one of those ways. ESPN has been 720p60 for a while now, but why are their 30 for 30 films in 24p then? The hobbit wasn't shot poorly because it was in HFR it was shot poorly using HFR and odd shutter angles, and the way they used it detracted from the experience. Also they threw in ****ty GoPro footage in the middle of the film too, and there is no defense of that ****, the whole thing as a gimmick, like I said. You really think the film industry has been technologically limited for 90 years? I guess films like American History X, Raging Bull, and Schindler's List were all shot in black and white because they were technically limited, I'm sure Spielberg would've loved to film at 120 FPS and glorious technicolor if only he had the opportunity. Give me a break, next you're going to say all our movies should be in 3D or even VR, and the reason they haven't been is purely based on lack of tech advancement. You should also tell people who love to listen to vinyls to go out and replace it with a Pono Player instead. You'd be surprised at how many "choices" directors actually get to make, many still will only shoot on film because of how it feels. And regardless, you're still defending fake interpolated frames in movies by way of smoothing things out, it's like defending complete and total airbrushing of people in magazines to the point where they're unrecognizable and calling it better or an advancement in technology, it's fake crap and it really is insulting to the filmmakers.
post #48672 of 64337 Old 07-04-2017, 07:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt McRae View Post
Dolby has asked us to report Digital Audio instead of the more detailed DD, DD+, or ATMOS. Not sure why...
That is crazy that they would require that. It makes sense as to what I'm seeing now so thank you for the explanation.

Sony XBR-75Z9F, Vizio P75-C1, Pioneer Kuro 5020, Pioneer VSX-1131, XBox One(X), Wii, NVIDIA SHIELD.v1, FireTV 4K-HDR, HDHR Connects, QNAP 431+
post #48673 of 64337 Old 07-04-2017, 07:08 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by mchallis View Post
I am not able to register for the free remote. The site does not work with my codes or serial numbers. I put in the code and it says sorry the tv is not eligible. Did someone steal my code? Hey its totally possible with it just being 4 characters. So I put in my serial number and submit. then it loads a white screen in the content area.

I tried for both my p series tvs, same fail.

also I sent an email for my remote on May 3 and received no reply and no remote thusfar
Get on the Vizio site through chat support. As long as it's a registered serial number/beta, you should get the new remote in a week or so. I tried through e-mail, and that didn't work either. Once I got on chat support, it came fairly soon after.

Religion, race, color, creed...whatever.
post #48674 of 64337 Old 07-04-2017, 07:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunka View Post
Thanks for the response @Karnis2

Weird thing is, is that when I connect my PS4 Pro through HDMI inputs 2-4 with "Full UHD Color" on, I don't get a signal what-so-ever. I have to turn "Full UHD Color" off to even see the PS4 menu. Unlike the Xbox One S where I only get no signal when "Full UHD Color" is on when I open any of those apps as described prior. Only through HDMI 1 does everything work with "Full UHD Color" On.
For the Xbox when you go into the app it is switching modes which is why it happens on the apps. The problem is likely your cables.

Skunka likes this.

post #48675 of 64337 Old 07-04-2017, 07:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karnis2 View Post
It used to cause havoc on my DirecTV 4K box...blackouts, drop outs, etc. Same thing w/ my Shield & HTPC. Weird & unpredictable. Drove me nuts until I finally figured it out. I tend to think if you have an AVR in the chain that also plays a role (as opposed to a direct connection).
Having an AVR does change things. Many manufacturers implement it differently. My Pioneer for instance automatically engages and allows HDR pass-through unlike Yamaha which you have to go in the settings and enable it.
Then there are cables......nuff said....lol.

post #48676 of 64337 Old 07-04-2017, 07:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
If you are referring to lossless Atmos (like via UHDBR) that is the issue. The TV doesn't pass nor decode lossless streams. The Atmos being sent via ARC and internal apps are the lossy variant. Personally it is always better to use the AVR/soundbar for audio 1st as a switcher for sources if they are capable of lossless audio. The Xbox is telling you that the TV doesn't support Atmos not your sounbar since when you connect to your TV 1st it "is" the receiver.
I don't have one but I thought the Xbox one s Atmos implementation was going to be lossy through bitstream?

post #48677 of 64337 Old 07-04-2017, 07:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanknuck View Post
Get on the Vizio site through chat support. As long as it's a registered serial number/beta, you should get the new remote in a week or so. I tried through e-mail, and that didn't work either. Once I got on chat support, it came fairly soon after.
But what they are showing for a remote is different from what we got. We have been receiving the XTR135 and the offer with the link shown on the display after a reset with the newest firmware is the XTR136. Looks like is has more buttons.

post #48678 of 64337 Old 07-04-2017, 08:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 494 Post(s)
Liked: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon11 View Post
@Raven Crimson Do you have to turn on subsampling for PS4 games to output HDR? I haven't had it on and yet my PS4 still sees the TV as HDR capable and seems to work for FFXV. Also, can you explain the benefits of CA a little more clearly, like is it only worth having on for games running below 60FPS. If I have my PC plugged into the set and I'm running Doom at 80-120 FPS should I be using CA still?
I have always had subsampling on, so I can't answer the first question. Last I remember, the Pro wouldn't allow HDR to be selected under its settings without subsampling on, so I dunno if that changed. I can certainly check later, as I also have FFXV.

Clear Action. Incoming long post hidden behind the spoiler tags.
Spoiler!
Daemon11 likes this.

Mad Lust Envy

Last edited by Raven Crimson; 07-04-2017 at 08:30 AM.
post #48679 of 64337 Old 07-04-2017, 08:41 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
If I cast Netflix using my iPhone, iPad or laptop, will it cast in 4K (for shows like House of cards)? I was was watching House of Cards yesterday, and the info says 1080p, even though everything since season 2 has been in 4K.
post #48680 of 64337 Old 07-04-2017, 09:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 485 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by puddy77 View Post
Yeah, Matt's right. It does work. I downloaded the Localcast app and UHD HEVC HDR10 casts perfectly with no transcoding. Plex still transcodes. But I'm using Plex server as a DLNA server for Localcast and it works perfectly.
There is also an app called LOCALCAST for iphone.

80" Vizio LED - (60" Vizio plasma - retired)
Harmony 890 Remote
X10 Commander Iphone App = full control of lights, fireplace, pool, shades, from Iphone
X10 IR543 controller
Hunter Douglas motorized shades

post #48681 of 64337 Old 07-04-2017, 09:50 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Just unboxed a new P50 and we are Amazon Prime members. With no native Amazon app yet, is my best bet to get a fire stick? I watch Showtime Homeland and Billions at least. Thank you.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
post #48682 of 64337 Old 07-04-2017, 10:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 494 Post(s)
Liked: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikutwo View Post
Just unboxed a new P50 and we are Amazon Prime members. With no native Amazon app yet, is my best bet to get a fire stick? I watch Showtime Homeland and Billions at least. Thank you.

Amazon Video has just been added to the beta, so either get on the beta list, or just wait a little for official update.
reallynotnick and kikutwo like this.

Mad Lust Envy
post #48683 of 64337 Old 07-04-2017, 10:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Liked: 1120
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=293790

Sent from my 5054N using Tapatalk
post #48684 of 64337 Old 07-04-2017, 10:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Liked: 1120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven Crimson View Post
Amazon Video has just been added to the beta, so either get on the beta list, or just wait a little for official update.

Kadath likes this.
post #48685 of 64337 Old 07-04-2017, 10:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 231 Post(s)
Quoted: 2720 Post(s)
Liked: 2477
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoman94 View Post
You need it on for CCU to display HDR and you need it for the Nvidia shield to play 4k streaming. You also need it from Blu-ray players that app stream HDR because they are at 60hz.

Having full uhd enabled on is fine for all content as long as you have a good cable.
You need it to be on for any 4k 60hz HDR10 signal and you need it on for 4k 60hz 4:4:4 signal. You need to set the Nvidia shield to 4k (which is 4:2:0 or 4:2:2) and you need for HDR on the Chromecast Ultra (which is 4:2:2). Those are the facts.
Cables are the weak links now and people need good cables.....it matters now.

My Sammy K8500 would disagree with that statement. It's more content related, but I just streamed a bit of Amazon "Mozart in the Jungle" HDR-10 @ 4K/24, and then I tried some Flix "Iron Fist" and got the same signal/reading. "Meridian" was HDR-10 4K/60, but Full UHD Color is still turned OFF.

Bad cables can be the cause of a lot things, but they won't cause an unrecoverable black screen ( unless I soft reboot ) after simply switching from a DTV 4K channel to a DTV 720P channel with Full UHD Color turned on. Most likely a FW bug. Maybe 3.3.16.1 has addressed this, but I haven't tested it yet. If it was a bad cable, I wouldn't be getting the 4K channel in the first place. That's why I recommend leaving it off unless you've got some of that hardware you listed above, and have no choice.
post #48686 of 64337 Old 07-04-2017, 10:20 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoman94 View Post
But what they are showing for a remote is different from what we got. We have been receiving the XTR135 and the offer with the link shown on the display after a reset with the newest firmware is the XTR136. Looks like is has more buttons.

Do you know what the link is for the offer that would have been shown? I wasn't around when my TV was upgraded and it was just skipped. I've e-mailed [email protected] for now. When I tried chat support they said:

Quote:
I understand that you are looking for the new full remote. You will need to follow Matt's directions from the AVS forums and email [email protected] and ask for the full remote.
and they also said they are a bit slow in processing requests right now due to the holiday. In the meantime I am able to use an XRT510 remote from another set with the new SmartCast app.
sonoftumble likes this.
post #48687 of 64337 Old 07-04-2017, 10:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 2840 Post(s)
Liked: 1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoftumble View Post
My Sammy K8500 would disagree with that statement. It's more content related, but I just streamed a bit of Amazon "Mozart in the Jungle" HDR-10 @ 4K/24, and then I tried some Flix "Iron Fist" and got the same signal/reading. "Meridian" was HDR-10 4K/60, but Full UHD Color is still turned OFF.

Bad cables can be the cause of a lot things, but they won't cause an unrecoverable black screen ( unless I soft reboot ) after simply switching from a DTV 4K channel to a DTV 720P channel with Full UHD Color turned on. Most likely a FW bug. Maybe 3.3.16.1 has addressed this, but I haven't tested it yet. If it was a bad cable, I wouldn't be getting the 4K channel in the first place. That's why I recommend leaving it off unless you've got some of that hardware you listed above, and have no choice.
Just because you are getting a 4k channel doesn't indicate a good HDMI cable.

There have been others with similar issues that replaced cables with new ones and it fixed the issue.

Just because it doesn't make sense to you doesn't mean it's not the reason.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
SamuraiXSendai likes this.
post #48688 of 64337 Old 07-04-2017, 10:51 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisplayCalNoob View Post

Great, thanks Cal

post #48689 of 64337 Old 07-04-2017, 10:57 AM

Quoted: 474 Post(s)
Liked: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrustbucket View Post

Everything you said is solely an opinion. Nothing more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #48690 of 64337 Old 07-04-2017, 11:02 AM

Quoted: 474 Post(s)
Liked: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikutwo View Post
Great, thanks Cal

Woah are they finally realizing a marvel movie in 4k ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
2016/2017 vizio p-series - nice pic(k)! / netflix , best value , D7000 , dolby vision , latest firmware - 6.0.18.1 - previous 5.0.16.1 , Vizio , Vudu

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page